PDA

View Full Version : Idiot customer causes explosion

IlovemyGeek
06-26-2007, 04:54 PM
This happened to a member of my husband's family last week and details are still sketchy. His uncle owns a garage and had a old guy coming in to have fuel tank of his 1970s truck replaced b/c it was rusting through. Old guy was informed to bring it in as close to empty as possible (makes sense right, since they're replacing fuel tank). They bring the truck on the lift and as its going up, the tank ruptures and the FULL tank of gas sprays across the room and catches a pilot light (or something, I'd have to verify what it was with my hubby) and causes a huge explosion. Luckily, everyone got out ok and the firedoors contained most of the damage, but the crappy old customer was last seen running down the street, when he realized it was because he didn't listen to instructions.

angelicafire
06-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, I don't even know what to say to that other than Wow.

Just wow.

ArenaBoy
06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Oh wow, just wow. I've read all sorts of things on here but this takes the cake.

Buglady
06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Um, wow.

I know the first thing *I* think of when I need a new fuel tank is "better make sure the old one is nice and full"....

WTF?

AriRashkae
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/AriRashkae/Smileys/_beatdeadhorseplz__by_MeliHitchcock.gif

Directions are given for a reason!

Tanasi
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm not a professional mechanic but I'd put a syphon hose down the fill neck and pump it dry before I tried to remove it and certainly have a fire extingisher handy. Lots of time you have to cut those mounting straps or the bolts holding them in.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm not a professional mechanic but I'd put a syphon hose down the fill neck and pump it dry before I tried to remove it and certainly have a fire extingisher handy. Lots of time you have to cut those mounting straps or the bolts holding them in.

That's what I was thinking--even if the tank was full couldn't you siphon out the remaining gas into a container or something?

XCashier
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Old guy was informed to bring it in as close to empty as possible (makes sense right, since they're replacing fuel tank). They bring the truck on the lift and as its going up, the tank ruptures and the FULL tank of gas sprays across the room and catches a pilot light (or something, I'd have to verify what it was with my hubby) and causes a huge explosion.
:eek: Good grief, that's even stupider than the moron in this thread: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=13104

The DMV ought to issue IQ tests before you can get a driver's license or buy a car. :rolleyes:

The mechanics probably could've siphoned out the gasoline, but would they have had a container (or several) large enough to hold 12-20 or more gallons?

Jadedcarguy
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not surprised. GM has a campaign on some SUV's to replace a wiring harness that's part of the fuel level sensor. It's not an urgent repair, so the service writers tell the customer to come in when it gets below a quarter tank. Most of them bring it in with at LEAST half a tank, if not full. No one listens. And then they have the nerve to bitch about it if they think some of the gas isn't there when they pick it up. Hello? You were told. :banghead:

DGoddessChardonnay
06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
WTH?????:eek:

Did somebody put industrial-grade stupid in the water today? That's the second post in a row I've read pertaining to a moron and gasoline. :runaway:

Sliceanddice
06-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I can see why it wasnt syphoned first, because they where going to lift it first and it ruptured before they could.

Moron!! he should have been injured or worst.

Sonoma
06-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Both times I had to have fuel pumps replaced on my trucks, the gas tanks had been filled the day before. The first time, the pump failed as I was pulling out of the gas station. I barely made it the 3 blocks home. There was no way I would have been able to burn off any of the 20 gallons of fuel it was carrying.

But, I did let them know the tanks had just been filled, both times I had them in the shop. And, they were returned with full tanks.

Rolling Star
06-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Are people so stupid that they don't understand how dangerous gasoline can be? This really irks me.

RentalRacer
06-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Sounds like an unfortunate accident. The customer should have listened to instructions better, and the mechanic who put the vehicle on the lift should have taken better safety precautions prior to putting the truck on the lift.

CrazedClerk
06-27-2007, 02:13 AM
I hope the business takes that moron to court for the damage he caused.

Andara Bledin
06-27-2007, 03:33 AM
That customer is a real winner.

While I don't think that there were really any more safety precautions available as far as lifing the truck (I suspect the rupture was due to the tank finally giving out due to the motion of the lift), whoever was driving the truck into position should have at least glanced at the fuel gauge before it was lifted.

^-.-^

Mongo Skruddgemire
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Both times I had to have fuel pumps replaced on my trucks, the gas tanks had been filled the day before. The first time, the pump failed as I was pulling out of the gas station. I barely made it the 3 blocks home. There was no way I would have been able to burn off any of the 20 gallons of fuel it was carrying.

But, I did let them know the tanks had just been filled, both times I had them in the shop. And, they were returned with full tanks.

Well then you did have a valid excuse for having full tanks and you were at least kind enough to let them know that fact. So no harm, no foul.

M

IlovemyGeek
06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
It ruptured while they were lifting it up, I'm waiting to hear from my MIL more details. I guess it happened pretty quick, the explosion happened when they were under the lift

lordlundar
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Sounds like an unfortunate accident.

Doesn't matter at this stage. He ran away, which means he at least faces criminal neglect charges.

FuzzyKitten99
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
The DMV ought to issue IQ tests before you can get a driver's license or buy a car. :rolleyes:
unfortunately IQ has nothing to do with common sense. You could have a 140 IQ and still not have a lick of common sense, courtesy, or even decency.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
06-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I can see why it wasnt syphoned first, because they where going to lift it first and it ruptured before they could.

I would've crawled under the truck first to see what condition the tank was in. Obviously if the tank is rusting through in places it's much more likely to rupture and spill gas.

Tanasi
06-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Why would one lift a truck to syphon a tank? I've syphoned tanks before and all you have to have is your receiving tank lower than the source tank if you're using a gravity syphon. I would have used an old inline fuel pump with two hoses then again since I'm not a professional mechanic maybe I'm missing something.
As to fault granted the truck owner did something stupid but IMO I think the mechanics did their fair share also. I also doubt the motion of the lift caused the tank to rupture, the truck was driven there and it sustained more movement from that than the lifting process. Perhaps they positioned the lift arms too close to the tank supports or on the tank itself and flexed the truck causing it to rupture but that's not the owners fault.
Something else a full tank isn't as dangerous as a nearly empty one. Gas in a liquid state is hard to burn it must be in a gaseous state to ignite. I've seen lit cigarettes thrown in gasoline and the cig was extinguished by the gasoline. Empty tanks on the other hand with even a little bit of gas in them are like bombs. I believe the Navy still fills empty fuel tanks on aircraft with nonflamable gases if the aircraft is not in a flight state.