PDA

View Full Version : Incidents of suck.

bigjimaz
02-03-2008, 02:55 AM
The Wannabe

In this town, we have basically two kinds of people. Those that have money and make it well known that they do, and those that don’t but try to put on as if they did, each equally as sucky in their own way. This is a story of one of the latter. Like most every laundromat I’ve been in, ours is an all-cash business. We don’t accept checks for anything and there isn’t a card reader anywhere in the building that would facilitate us taking credit/debit cards. On a very basic level, if you don’t have a pocketful of silver or a few pieces of green paper with dead president’s pictures on them, you’re SOL.

This lady comes in looking to pick up her clothes after we washed and folded them for her.

DL: Ditzy Lady

I was doing a load of wash for a customer when she walks up to the office. I greet her and then this:

DL: (looking down her nose at me) I’m here to pick up my clothes.
ME: And the name please?
DL: Ditzy
ME: Here you go Ms. Ditzy. That’ll be $14.00
DL: (reaches into her obviously fake Coach™ handbag, (the font on the “C” logo was wrong) pulling out her checkbook) Who do I make this out to?
ME: I’m sorry, ma’am, we don’t take checks, only cash.
DL: That’s rediculous. I write checks all the time.
ME: I’m sorry ma’am, there’s nothing I can do. We only take cash.
DL: (huffing) I’ll use my debit card then.
ME: (oh crap, did she just notice me roll my eyes at her?) We only take cash, ma’am.
DL: Wha... You... I... Why are you making this so hard on me?
ME: You’re making it hard on yourself, ma’am. I’ve explained three times that we only take cash.
DL: says nothing, having been horribly defeated by logic and truth, reaches into her purse and pulls out a small money clip.

She paid me with a ten and 4 singles which shocked me slightly. I truly was expecting one of two things; either her handing me a $100 bill or not having any cash at all. Anyway, she stacks her laundry baskets and carry’s them both out to her car which was...

wait for it...

a mid 80's, rusted Ford Crown Victoria station wagon...

with no hubcaps.

Fail≤

It starts...

Well, the suck has begun over the impending price hike. Why do people think that I am the one who raised the price just because I work there? They are bitching because it’s going to cost them a whole 50Ę more per load. I mean, come on! You’re not getting any sympathy from me when you’re driving a $75,000.00 Hummer H2 with “24's” and a sound system that can be heard on the International Space Station.

No, I’m not bitter. Why do you ask? ;)

Hey Bud. I know a nice lady with a cool Crown Vic I could introduce you to.

Some people’s children...

A lady came in on Friday. At first I didn’t notice anything out of the usual. As I watched for a while I realized that she was using a whole bank of 9 washers to do what would normally be two to three loads. Instead of the three or four basic washing groups, (whites, colors, etc.) she separated her whites into one washer, reds into another, blues into another, greens into another and you get the idea. Every color had it’s own washer. She did the same thing when she dried them. I didn’t say anything because it wasn’t busy and I figured if she wanted to spend $22.50 on what would normally cost $5.00 to $7.50, more power to her. Job security for me.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way? I had another person (second one in a month) bitch at me because I folded his tighty-whiteys wrong. I lay them on the counter front side up, fold the crotch up to the waistband then fold the right part of the waistband over the crotch then the left part of the waistband over the right. What in the Benny Hill am I doing wrong?

This is a Laundromat not a bank X 2

1. Sorry dude, but coming into a Laundromat, handing me a $50.00 bill and asking for change for the parking meter isn’t going to cause me to add you to my Christmas card list, especially if you’re not going to put any of the change you want me to give you into one or more of our machines.

2. I don’t mind helping people out when I have time, but when you ask me to go through about $300.00 worth of rolled quarters to see if there are any Pennsylvania or Delaware state quarters, you’re not going to get as positive response as you think you are.

BossLady
02-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way? I had another person (second one in a month) bitch at me because I folded his tighty-whiteys wrong. I lay them on the counter front side up, fold the crotch up to the waistband then fold the right part of the waistband over the crotch then the left part of the waistband over the right. What in the Benny Hill am I doing wrong?

Everyone is going to have their own way of folding their garments. How about a sign that says "if you are going to be all picky about how your underwear is folded please show us how you'd like it done so you don't get your panties in a wad later !" :roll:

Dave1982
02-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way?

Frankly, they should be happy that someone else is folding their underwear for them. For that matter, they should be happy to even have a folding service available (no laundromat I've ever used had such a service). Be glad for that and don't bitch about *how* the laundry is being folded.

By the way, the way you do it is fine; folds them about as tight as possible short of rolling them up.

but when you ask me to go through about $300.00 worth of rolled quarters to see if there are any Pennsylvania or Delaware state quarters, youíre not going to get as positive response as you think you are.

Thankfully I'm usually not bothered for this, but seriously, people who do this are morons. Circulated coins are basically worthless unless they are uber-rare. State quarters are anything but. The only collections that will be worth anything will be those composed entirely of uncirculated coins.

Eric the Grey
02-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Some peopleís children...

A lady came in on Friday. At first I didnít notice anything out of the usual. As I watched for a while I realized that she was using a whole bank of 9 washers to do what would normally be two to three loads. Instead of the three or four basic washing groups, (whites, colors, etc.) she separated her whites into one washer, reds into another, blues into another, greens into another and you get the idea. Every color had itís own washer. She did the same thing when she dried them. I didnít say anything because it wasnít busy and I figured if she wanted to spend $22.50 on what would normally cost $5.00 to $7.50, more power to her. Job security for me.

While I *might* be able to understand washing each color on it's own, not drying it. To each his or her own, I suppose.

This thread reminds me... I need to take my comforter down and wash it. Its too big to fit in our washer/dryer at home...

:cool: Eric the Grey

Bramble
02-03-2008, 09:07 AM
But why would it matter how they're folded? You're gonna put 'em on eventually and they ain't gonna be folded then. Oh wait... that makes too much sense.:rolleyes:

Bright_Star
02-03-2008, 10:40 AM
If those people bitching about having to pay cash or bitching about how you fold their tighty whities can do it better then I would tell them to go out & buy their own washer/dryer & be done with it.

Anakah
02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I guess I don't go out much. I've never heard of a place that folds your clothes and what not. Out here the laundry places are do it yourself. I guess the only place I could think of would be dry cleaning.
Personally I wouldn't want a stranger (no offense) handling my underwear.

tigerlily0
02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
A lady came in on Friday. At first I didnít notice anything out of the usual. As I watched for a while I realized that she was using a whole bank of 9 washers to do what would normally be two to three loads. Instead of the three or four basic washing groups, (whites, colors, etc.) she separated her whites into one washer, reds into another, blues into another, greens into another and you get the idea. Every color had itís own washer. She did the same thing when she dried them. I didnít say anything because it wasnít busy and I figured if she wanted to spend $22.50 on what would normally cost $5.00 to $7.50, more power to her. Job security for me.

Sounds like OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) to me...

BlaqueKatt
02-03-2008, 02:26 PM

seconded-if I ever had the notion to have someone wash, dry, and fold my laundry you can bet I'd be doing the undies on my own-I realise it's just laundry, but still-eeew, I wouldn't want to touch anyone else's so I wouldn't make anyone else do the same KWIM?

Seshat
02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I dunno - just-washed underwear is fine to me. I don't see a problem with that. Now, unwashed . . . that's a totally different thing.

(Until we buy my blind friend one of these colour sensors (http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/catalogue/PDesc.aspx?code=ES7460&CID=1&CSID=3&SubCategoryName=Sensors&UType=External&Parent=Default.aspx), I'm helping her by sorting her washing.)

Becks
02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way?

People actually fold their unmentionables?

I don't. Takes too much time and effort.

AnqeiicDemise
02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I fold and roll my undies then proceed to put them away in a drawer divider in shades (i.e. lightest to darkest, left to right, back to front.) It makes it easier for me to find the undies I want and keeps everything organized. So.. yeah.... some of us kind of need to have things folded.

Then again, I'm the same person who absolutely CANNOT eat M&Ms or other multi-colored munchies in a movie theatre, or any place that does not have a flat surface. I can't just randomly toss stuff into my mouth without discerning its color and category and eating it in a certain order. It bothers me to the point of tears sometimes....and I try really,really hard not to let it run my life. O.O (when I lived alone, I had stuff organized alphabetically in my cupboards and had to have all teh labels facing out. Hubby won't do it as he's the 'grab and cook' type of person. I refuse to get into huge fights over something as asinine as which way a label needs to face....though sometimes, I can't help it. ) /off topic

HOWEVER, I wouldn't bitch someone out because he/she can't read my mind and folded my underwear left-corner in first instead of right-corner first then failed to roll it up.

Broomjockey
02-03-2008, 08:15 PM
People actually fold their unmentionables?

I don't. Takes too much time and effort.

If I don't, I can't fit them in my drawer, as space is at a premium in my room. I have one drawer for socks, one for undies. And there's almost no spare room with everything clean put in there nicely. :shrug: If I had more room, I'd not bother.

Cyphr
02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
people let others fold their underwear? I'd be afraid my attendant was the creepy dude who sniffed men's underwear in the back room while doing...erm...other stuff :puke: :brainbleach:

BookstoreEscapee
02-03-2008, 09:45 PM
While I *might* be able to understand washing each color on it's own, not drying it. To each his or her own, I suppose.

When I was in college one of my roommates washed a red shirt separately, but threw it in the dryer with a pair of jeans...the jeans still came out pink...:rolleyes:

Sounds like OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) to me...

Either that or she's taking the instructions "Wash separately with like colors" a little too literally...:D

Gurndigarn
02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
The only collections that will be worth anything will be those composed entirely of uncirculated coins.

Yeah, but some people actually collect coins for fun. I know this is a strange concept; still... though asking someone to hunt state quarters for you is kinda sucky. You want the fun of building a collection? You hunt for them.

The WannabeAnyway, she stacks her laundry baskets and carryís them both out to her car which was...

wait for it...

a mid 80's, rusted Ford Crown Victoria station wagon...

with no hubcaps.

Fail≤

I'm failing to see what's so terrible about this. Yeah, it's an old car... and a not particularly desirable one... but so what? Some people don't have money to replace things, and some people don't care if their car looks worn. (I fall into this category. A vehicle is what gets me from A to B. If it runs and can carry my family, that's all I really care about. Well, gas milege too, but...)

Mark Healey
02-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I guess I don't go out much. I've never heard of a place that folds your clothes and what not. Out here the laundry places are do it yourself. I guess the only place I could think of would be dry cleaning.

Around here (SoCal), it's called fluff & fold service. It's just regular washing, drying and folding (no dry cleaning or special delicate items). They usually charge by weigt. It doesn't cost that much either. I spend about U$30.00 a month on it. If I had a laundry in my building I'd probably do it myself but the time spent waiting in the laundromat (Why do they never have dryers in the right proportion to washers?) just isn't worth it.

bigjimaz
02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm failing to see what's so terrible about this.

I was trying to impress upon people how I hate people who put on airs. I'm a working stiff and I respect people who go out and (sometimes barely) make their living. What I don't like are people who pretend to be something they are not.

Don't come prancing up to me, look down your nose at me, flash your fake purse that you probably got on eBay from a seller in China that is now long gone, and then after that you drive off in something that should be in a junk yard. You aren't fooling anyone.

If you're poor, that's ok. So am I. Be who you are.

blas
02-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Some of us have different priorities. I would LOVE to have a brand new, posh car. That just ain't gonna happen. I put enough money into my car to keep it running and do the preventitive maintenance.

I'd rather look nice and have a so-so car than have a posh car and look so-so myself. I can't have both, so I picked what I picked.

Broomjockey
02-04-2008, 02:13 AM
What he's saying isn't really about the car. It's isn't even about how she looked. It's about the snobbish attitude the lady was giving him. Treating him like that isn't right no matter her station in life, but to pretend to be so much better when she's plainly no more or less (well, maybe less ;)) than him?

blas
02-04-2008, 03:14 AM
When you put it that way, Broomjockey, I have to change my mind and agree.

I got that a lot from customers at the gas station. I didn't like the "holier than thou" attitude I got from people who didn't even work at all.

bigjimaz
02-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks Broomjockey. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

hotelnpa
02-04-2008, 07:20 AM
This town doesn't happen to be Washington, PA is it? Sounds just like it.

What's even worse, where my parent's live (Waynesburg, PA) is a poor town all away around but it is the snobbiest place I've ever seen.

bigjimaz
02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
No, but not too far away. Northeast about 70 or 80 miles.

I spent a lot of time down your way though. I helped my ex-wife do a ton of genealogical work in the general area. Her mom is buried in Marianna. My grandparents and their parents are all buried in Taylor Cemetery and Beallsville Cemetery. She has tons of relatives that used to live in Monongahela, Charleroi, Lone Pine and Centerville in your county and in Waynesburg, Rogersville, Nineveh and Morris Township in Greene Co. I think I've been in every cemetery in both counties, even ones that aren't listed in the books and ones on private land.

Hell when I was fresh out of high school I used to sell fruits and vegetables at the Waynesburg Livestock Auction out on the west end of town just before Rts 21 and 18 split.

Sliceanddice
02-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Actually it is preference, Ive talked to ex-army who needs it in a certain way 1/3-1/2 reverse, me its 1/2-1/2 for storage. it annoys my sister

Becks
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry if I unintentionally insulted someone with my amazement about folding underwear.

I used to, but then I decided it was too much effort.

So much for MY OCD.

PaRaGaS
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way? I had another person (second one in a month) bitch at me because I folded his tighty-whiteys wrong.

What, you mean that people fold their underwear? :eek:
What for?

phoenix_rising
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
The separate washer lady reminds me of the annoying woman who was in the laundromat once. We had to go and do wash in town a few times, but the first time I went, there was some woman drying her stuff and one dryer had half a load. The next had two almost comforters. The next had some kind of towels. And the last one had one measley blanket in it. Needless to say, I was peeved because she took up most of the dryers and someone else was using the other 4. Grr.
But I think my biggest pet peeve in the world is people who take your laundry out so they can put theirs in. Yea, I used to do that to my mom when she would do laundry in our own house, but that's my mom and we had one set of washer/dryer. But in the laundromat downstairs in this dorm, some girl had seen my wash was done (I was about 10 minutes late getting down there because my roomie wanted me to go visit her) and taken it out. I consider my wash to be very personal, and I would NEVER remove anyone else's wash. I'd just go back upstairs and wait. But etiquette and personal space was not born with some people.

Sylvia727
02-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Phoenix, different people have different rules of courtesy. Taking your wash out before it's done or as soon as it's done would be rude, but taking it out 24 hours later would be fine. Where does one draw the line? How long is reasonable to wait for a stranger? One has to remember that one's laundry is taking up space it doesn't need, thus being rude to the other patrons of the laundromat. Myself, I probably would take your laundry out after ten minutes. If I had time to kill, I might wait all of fifteen minutes. This is why I always leave my basket near the washer/dryer. Just in case I don't make it back in time, the next person can put my laundry in a clean place. It's worked for me so far.

paperfiend
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Laundry etiquette is tricky in shared spaces. For example, my apartment building has about 30 apartments, and a laundry room with 4 washers and 4 dryers. If you do the math, it becomes obvious that if you leave your laundry in the machines, it will eventually be preventing someone else from doing laundry.

I try to be prompt about removing my laundry, so that other people can wash their own and they don't have to touch mine. But if I forget and they pile my dry laundry on top of the dryer I won't be offended. Then there are the people who use all four of the dryers and still haven't collected their laundry after 6 hours on a Saturday, and who do things like turn off other people's dryers if someone dared to remove their (dry) laundry and put it on the (clean) top of the dryer. Lots of potential for suckiness all around.

Ironclad Alibi
02-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Perhaps you should start by laying them face down.

Funny story: Once when my mother-in-law was staying with us, she did the laundry. Afterwards she applogized for not folding my t-shirts and putting them away. She had pulled three t-shirts out of the drawer trying to figure out how I had folded them, but could not figure it out. :lol:

ShootMePlease
02-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Perhaps you should fold laundry this way....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b5AWQ5aBjgE

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I have too much time on my hands....:lol:

bigjimaz
02-17-2008, 02:33 AM
That's a nice video. Someone posted to the thread where I originally asked the same thing. Byt the time I figure out the way to configure my hands and get it folded like that, I can have a half dozen folded the way I do it. I've come to the realization that these people are just being petty and that if they want it done their way, they should fold their own.