PDA

View Full Version : Wherein my best friend sues

Akasa
09-18-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm sorry I keep comeing up with more stories we've been through, I remember in spurts.

My best friend was in a section 8 houseing apartment complex, one of the nice government subsidezed ones, in a decent area, etc.
The staff did things like bring her donuts after she got home from surgery, let her be late on rent because she'd be in the hospital recovering from surgery when rent is normally due, etc.(I put this in to show the difference.)
Then she gets a guide dog, raises it up and trains it herself(which is allowed by law it doesn't have to be from the Seeing Eye Dog company to be a guide dog.) All of a sudden her apartment manager is demanding she get rid of the dog, its against the lease, etc. She shows them to law that says its allowed, that all she has to do is show them the law and things should be cleared up.
Its not. She goes through months of showing them the law, taking in copies weekly, even contacting the owners about it, and still is harrassed. Then the apartment manager tries to say the dog is viscious and has attacked a child. This dog never bit anyone, it barked threateningly at someone (who was agitated and waving their arms wildly in a threatening manner towards her much later in life, but nev er bit anyone.) She gets an animal control officer to evaluate the dog and in his words "There's not a viscous bone in his body!" Meanwhile there is a small dog running around the apartment complex that has bitten children, and its been around a lot.
After about 3 months of this she gets an eviction notice for not getting rid of her "pet."
She starts a federal lawsuit against them, both the owners and the property manager. Not only did they have to pay her thousands of dollars, they lost their government funding and section 8 status.

Automan Empire
09-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Yup, you don't go messing with A.D.A. issues if you own a business or housing! Lawsuit country. (A.D.A. stands for the Americans with Disabilities act, a set of regulations and laws that mandate handicapped access in public places and accomodations by employers etc)

Section 8 housing is subject to a lot of scrutiny too, nit-picky stuff about the fences, paint, etc. I wish they would scrutinize some of the tenants, though... it boggles the mind that the section 8 tenants next door all have 2 new trucks/vans per family, complete with custom lowering and rims.

smileyeagle1021
09-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Automan, can I get your section 8s to move into the building down the street from us... it's also gov subsidized (not sure if it's section 8 or a local equivalent)... except a good deal of them are proof of the stereotype of the lazy welfare mom/dad/pimp/whatever.

eta, before someone jumps me on it, yes I know that a lot, if not most of the people on welfare are honest people who just need help getting on their feet, I say the stereotypical lazy welfare recipient because lets not kid ourselves, that is a stereotype that many people hold, and which my neighbors are reinforcing.

otakuneko
09-18-2008, 06:28 AM
<Klinger> Did someone say SECTION 8?

TheComputerError
09-18-2008, 07:56 AM

New keyboard. You owe me one. This one now has Mountain Dew all over it.

Bringing this back on topic, however, how hard is it for people to understand that a service animal is allowed pretty much everywhere that the person needing said service animal is allowed?

Although, now you've triggered a thought that'll probably become a post in the Management forum...

MoxisPilot
09-18-2008, 09:43 AM

LOVE! Oh-so-much LOVE!

Evil Queen
09-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I love Klinger. <3

What does Section 8 mean for the government housing? I've heard of it but always thought it was... ya know... Klinger.

blas
09-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I always figured it was some code?

My mother used to work in the housing authority section of her local courthouse. I can ask her tomorrow......

UncleImpy
09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Section 8 is, if I remember correctly, a quote from HUD (Housing and Urban Development). I looked into this when I had to move to Seattle and couldnt sell the house I own in Dallas off.

Basically, a private land/home owner can lease their property to individuals that have been approved by Section 8. You still get to decide if you want to allow them to rent your property, and you ARE the landlord, its just...the rent checks for your tenant come from the government, not them. Its pretty much guaranteed income - you know the tenant isnt going to not pay the rent, because the government is paying it, not them.

HOWEVER, there's nothing preventing said tenant from damaging the hell out of your property, and the government will NOT pay for anything OTHER than rent. So you still have to screen applicants for hopefully-non-crack-using wasteoids that will trash your house.

Ultimately that's why I just ended up renting the place to a friend of mine for dirt cheap. I didn't want to take the risk.

DevilBoy
09-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I love Klinger. <3

What does Section 8 mean for the government housing? I've heard of it but always thought it was... ya know... Klinger.

The very short, abbreviated and simplified version:

If you are approved for Section 8, then you pay part of the rent (based on eligibility and your income), the Gov't pays the rest.
For example, if your rent is $600, you might pay only $200 a month and the Gov't pays the remaining $400 each month.

Evil Queen
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
:eek: My rent is $400, I want to GOV to pay MY rent!

Granted I also currently live in a disaster area so I might get my wish. :p

blas
09-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Haha...EQ....mine is $600....and the only natural disaster I can wish for this time of year is for a male deer going into heat to ram into my door and destroy my apartment.

taxguykarl
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Basically, a private land/home owner can lease their property to individuals that have been approved by Section 8. You still get to decide if you want to allow them to rent your property, and you ARE the landlord, its just...the rent checks for your tenant come from the government, not them. Its pretty much guaranteed income - you know the tenant isnt going to not pay the rent, because the government is paying it, not them.

HOWEVER, there's nothing preventing said tenant from damaging the hell out of your property, and the government will NOT pay for anything OTHER than rent. So you still have to screen applicants for hopefully-non-crack-using wasteoids that will trash your house.

Ultimately that's why I just ended up renting the place to a friend of mine for dirt cheap. I didn't want to take the risk.

It's worth noting that there is also an unrealistically low cap on security deposits.

My dad's business partner once rented to some Section 8's who trashed the unit. The deposit barely covered the filing fees for small claims (don't get him started on the damage).

Bottom line: He no longer rents to Section 8's.

otakuneko
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
New keyboard. You owe me one. This one now has Mountain Dew all over it.

The OtakuNeko cannot be held liable for violations of the first rule. :angel:

AdminAssistant
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Count me among those who though Section 8 had to do with wearing dresses in the Army and not housing.

"It's spring, Sir!"

dendawg
09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Not to be a downer, but isn't this a pyrrhic victory, of sorts? Since the apartment complex is no longer Section 8, won't she have to move? :confused:

Gabrielle Proctor
09-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I say the stereotypical lazy welfare recipient because lets not kid ourselves, that is a stereotype that many people hold, and which my neighbors are reinforcing.

You've just descibed my parent's neighbors, and they don't live in govt. housing.

:eek: My rent is $400, I want to GOV to pay MY rent!

So is mine, but I split it with my boyfriend so our rent is closer to $800.

Geek King
09-18-2008, 05:40 PM
... before someone jumps me on it, yes I know that a lot, if not most of the people on welfare are honest people who just need help getting on their feet, I say the stereotypical lazy welfare recipient because lets not kid ourselves, that is a stereotype that many people hold, and which my neighbors are reinforcing.

First-hand experience: One of the offices I do support for is a Section 8 oversight department. I've met some of the residents of that program, both good and bad. The good participants are people who follow the rules, and really are just looking for a helping hand temporarily. The bad are every bit the stereotype, right down to the fancy cell phones and $3000 rims on their cars. I hate the bad ones, but the good families make it worthwhile. One that stands out is the mother with three little girls who were so excited to be moving out of the women's shelter into their own place. They really made an impression on me as people who were going to do all right, but needed some help to get on their feet.

And, yeah, some of the owners of the apartments are real peices of work too. Section 8 housing has to be inspected once a year. You should hear some of the owners scream when they're about to lose certification because they don't fix things--important things, even! I've heard the stories of owners who left the program because they wouldn't let them be the slumlords they wanted to be.

End the end, Section 8 is like anything else. Some good but enough bad that the stereotypes get passed on.

Crazeyal
09-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Not to be a downer, but isn't this a pyrrhic victory, of sorts? Since the apartment complex is no longer Section 8, won't she have to move? :confused:
They evicted her. Merely trying to do so MIGHT have gotten them kicked out of the program, but accomplishing it got them sued, fined AND ineligible!!

JLG
09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Section 8 housing is subject to a lot of scrutiny too, nit-picky stuff about the fences, paint, etc. I wish they would scrutinize some of the tenants, though... it boggles the mind that the section 8 tenants next door all have 2 new trucks/vans per family, complete with custom lowering and rims.

It could be that everyone that lives there is not supposed to be in that house. A lot of times a person will quailfy to live in a section 8 house with just their kids and they move in their entire family.
I have a friend that lives in a really nice apartment and only her and her daughter are allowed to live there. But her loser boyfriend lives with them and he gets to kick back and enjoy the free rent. My friend pays like $60 a month in rent.

auntiem
09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Haha...EQ....mine is $600....and the only natural disaster I can wish for this time of year is for a male deer going into heat to ram into my door and destroy my apartment.

Great, now I'm going to have the image of you and your pet doe hiding in the bathroom while a heat raged deer tries to bust down your door.

We have some apartments around here that used to be Section 8, but they didn't want to fix anything so they lost their eligibility - now they rent them out to starving students that don't yet know their housing rights.

SorryIsGoodEnough
09-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I live in transitional housing. When my year lease is up, I get bumped up to the list for Section 8 permanent housing.

Cause I'm a single mother who is going to school.

:)

Some of my neighbors in my transitional complex, though....

Come on, King County Housing Authority...tighten those eligibility requirements!

LezbianPeon
09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
<-------is not the stereotypical section 8 renter. I am on section 8 though and have been for quite a number of years. I have lived in the same house since 1999 and my rent is based on my income. The normal rent is $750 and I have paid up to $722 because of my income at one point in time along with all the normal utilities. The odd thing is I never signed up for it, but was offered it through a housing agency when the boys dad & I split up. We split in 1996 and was offered Section 8 in the beginning of 1999. It was very beneficial when I decided to go back to college full-time and work part-time to improve our life. It definitely enabled me to focus on my college studies and eventually graduate with honors and not stress so bad about either paying the rent or feeding the boys. Section 8 is an amazing program if not abused or mistreated and I have been lucky that all other section 8 receivers that I have met have been hard workers like myself & only trying to do the best for their family and I would have never had any qualms about reporting somebody if I thought they were abusing the program or somebody's property.

blas
09-19-2008, 12:40 AM
My ex roomate's gf was on welfare and section 8, her rent was ridiculously low, and he moved in with them and also sucked up the free rent and utilities. Then he started throwing fits that bills were acruing at his legal residence.

I never took my prime opportunity to turn them in....but I really just wanted to get him, not her or her baby.

Bliss
09-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Mine's $100, but it's an old building and the owners are shit

smileyeagle1021
09-19-2008, 02:49 AM
oh, if you think some of the section 8 housing is bad... you should see what the LDS church subsidizes people into (at least single people, families are much better off), one of my old roommates was on a church assistence program (he had an on the job injury and was unable to work and the state was willing to do shit for him)... sense I knew his situation I was willing to lower my price a little and eat a little bit of the cost (you know, charity)... well after 2 months his Bishop said, "I'm sorry, but this is just getting too expensive for us" :eek: and moved him into a boarding house that I'll be honest, I would live on the street before living there, the kitchen appliances looked like it was a miracle each and every time they were turned on and they worked, there were 3 bathrooms, for a boarding house with 18 residents, no air conditioning, heating that occasional works, and other tenents who quite frankly were the scum of the earth (druggies, alcoholics, thugs, etc)... but it was cheap.

sorry for the OT

Polenicus
09-19-2008, 06:03 AM

As long as it's not Section 7.

Because that means you've got giant alien robots, and they're just a PAIN to get rid of.

bunnyboy
09-19-2008, 07:25 AM
I live in transitional housing. When my year lease is up, I get bumped up to the list for Section 8 permanent housing.

Cause I'm a single mother who is going to school.

:)

Some of my neighbors in my transitional complex, though....

Come on, King County Housing Authority...tighten those eligibility requirements!

Doubt it'll happen, I mean we gotta spend money on things like making our image look nice, and making sure Seattle keeps it's head....

Aside from that, I've seen just about everything from the family who's getting back on track after leaving an abusive home, to the stereotype of project house, new rimmed Escalade.... yeah KCHA please for the love of Leroy, tighten the requirements.

nomorecarts
09-19-2008, 07:57 AM
you guys are lucky on rent, it's $575 a month for an efficency on the "wrong" side of the tracks here. that's the cheapest you can get if you want running water

Custard Chick
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
*dies a little inside*

Another reason I cannot stand living the the capital.

2 bed/2 bath apartment is running my bf and I nearly $1500/month, and that's not including gas/heat/water.

NEVER move to DC. EVER.

nomorecarts
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
wow. makes me happy to stay in my state. I hate this town, but the state's awesome, and I'm going to a better town soon. only thing that sucks is I'll probably be paying $750 for an apartment there

Dreamstalker
09-20-2008, 02:16 AM
My mom's building used to have one Section 8 guy. He got kicked out after one time too many setting off the smoke alarms (one night, my mom went up there to see if he was alright because the single mom downstairs from us was worried, and the dude was cooking while buck-naked :eek: ).

Then his son moved in. After a few underage drinking parties that woke up the entire building he also got the boot. I don't think her management company will rent to Section 8 folks anymore.

smileyeagle1021
09-20-2008, 10:25 AM
OK $1500 for DC seems rather reasonable, considering I've seen state capitals that compete with that (carson city averages close to $1000, and that's a state capital of a state with only 3 million people, town population of 50k)

and dreamstalker, what's so weird about cooking naked... was he not in the privacy of his home?

Dreamstalker
09-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, yes...his front door was wide open though. Most people, if they're nekkid when someone knocks/bangs on their door will at least throw a towel on before answering, especially in a building with kids.

AdminAssistant
09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
what's so weird about cooking naked... was he not in the privacy of his home?

Well I don't know about you, but I tend to stay away from fire or really hot things when..I'm... um....

Nevermind! :angel:

cinema guy
09-21-2008, 08:01 AM
You have to be rally careful when frying. "Hmm, how did that extra sausage get in there?" :eek:

smileyeagle1021
09-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, yes...his front door was wide open though. Most people, if they're nekkid when someone knocks/bangs on their door will at least throw a towel on before answering, especially in a building with kids.

well as it is that I attract naked people, that really wouldn't have surprised me that much to walk into an open door and find someone naked..

You have to be rally careful when frying. "Hmm, how did that extra sausage get in there?" :eek:

*snort* that is all

Crazeyal
09-21-2008, 01:18 PM
2 bed/2 bath apartment is running my bf and I nearly $1500/month, and that's not including gas/heat/water.

NEVER move to DC. EVER.
Yeah.. been there.. It's probably gone UP, but a 1 bedroom on LI cost me $1100/month and that was on the cheapo side!!

BookstoreEscapee
09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
My apartment (2BR, 1 bath) is $1120 (to go up to $1142 when the lease renews in December). And that's on the low end of what we looked at. A 1BR around here your probably looking at $800 at least, more likely in the $900 range. I actually pay $620 though, because I have the bigger bedroom (probably about an extra 5 feet on the long end, and I have 2 closets). We figured out the cost per square foot and did the math (then rounded to make it even numbers).

strawbabies
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
OK $1500 for DC seems rather reasonable, considering I've seen state capitals that compete with that (carson city averages close to $1000, and that's a state capital of a state with only 3 million people, town population of 50k)

Holy cow, Nevada's gotten expensive! When I got my apartment in Vegas 6 years ago, I was paying under $600 a month in rent. I stayed at that complex for 3 years.

taxguykarl
09-22-2008, 05:04 PM
It could be that everyone that lives there is not supposed to be in that house. A lot of times a person will quailfy to live in a section 8 house with just their kids and they move in their entire family.
I have a friend that lives in a really nice apartment and only her and her daughter are allowed to live there. But her loser boyfriend lives with them and he gets to kick back and enjoy the free rent. My friend pays like $60 a month in rent.

That was the case with my dad's partner's first and last;) Section 8. She was fine but her baby daddy and his homies were another story.

smileyeagle1021
09-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Holy cow, Nevada's gotten expensive! When I got my apartment in Vegas 6 years ago, I was paying under $600 a month in rent. I stayed at that complex for 3 years.

want to guess which state was one of the hardest hit by the collapse of the housing bubble (which btw is entirely the fault of greedy realtors and mortgage brokers who sold homes that they knew damned well people wouldn't be able to afford, but hey it was easy money for them while it lasted :rolleyes: )... if you guessed Nevada was really hard hit you'd be right... and now sense the housing market is in the shits no one is even trying to buy or sell homes which has lead to an increase in demand in the rental market... oh and northern nevada has always had more expensive real estate than vegas... land is more limited up north (we have mountains to contend with :D, build that vegas :p )