PDA

View Full Version : acetometophen or Tylenol

Muses_nightmare
11-17-2008, 02:30 AM
This was something overheard between two of my coworkers the other day at work.

One of them (lets call her CW1) is complaining of being sore, or having a headache, or something along those lines, and the other (CW2) offers her some pain medication. Their conversation hurt my brain:

CW2: Here, I have some acetometophen here if you want.
CW1: Oh, no I can't take that, I can only take Tylenol.
(and as if this wasn't bad enough)

CW2: Oh, yeah, acetometophen is much stronger than Tylenol.

:roll:

Broomjockey
11-17-2008, 02:33 AM
*sigh* I can understand it, but I don't get it, ya know? You'd think with the bottle right there, they'd at least look at it though.

Aethian
11-17-2008, 02:37 AM
*coughs* Uh yea.... *snerks* Much stronger... *ROTFL*

fireheart
11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
:wtf: sounds like someone didn't take chemistry in high school...

Although I took psychology and learnt about it that way :S

wanderingjoe72
11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
So many people only know brand names, not what is actually in them. Sad state we are in. These are people that businesses make money off of since they buy the brand name and not the generic equivalent.

I avoid all of them all together since they do nothing for me. I have to go with aspirin for any type of pain relief.

Broomjockey
11-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I avoid all of them all together since they do nothing for me. I have to go with aspirin for any type of pain relief.

You mean acetylsalicylic acid?

crazylegs
11-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm assuming then they're both the same thing...? :confused:

Balgram
11-17-2008, 08:48 PM

Oh glory...:rolleyes:

Yes, crazylegs, they're the same.

Yep. Me mum always bought the generic stuff (she used to be a doctor, so that's how she referred to the pills anyway). It took me the LONGEST time to make the reverse connection. I would ask for acetometophen, and I didn't know it was Tylenol. I don't think I've ever taken a brand name medicine before. I'm only recently working out what they all are.

Broomjockey
11-17-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm assuming then they're both the same thing...? :confused:

Because of the content of the OP, I find this exceedingly humorous. :lol:

crazylegs
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Because of the content of the OP, I find this exceedingly humorous. :lol:

Really? We don't have tylenol available for general sale in the UK, it was but a wild stab in the dark.

Broomjockey
11-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Really? We don't have tylenol available for general sale in the UK, it was but a wild stab in the dark.

Ah, I believe I misunderstood, due to your lack of quoting. You were referencing the OP, I now gather, rather than my post directly preceding yours, yes? That makes it less funny. Nertz. *kicks at the ground dejectedly*

Bardmaiden
11-18-2008, 03:16 AM
We don't have Tylenol or Acetometophen but we do have paracetamol (aka the same thing ;) )

wanderingjoe72
11-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Lol, exactly. Generic or name brand is fine by me.

Let me add that aspirin has become a generally used name for all forms of acetylsalicylic acid. Much in the same way Kleenex and q-tips have been adopted for general use.

TheComputerError
11-18-2008, 06:11 PM
:runaway:

That is all.

Pagan
11-20-2008, 02:34 AM

You mean ASA as opposed to APAP?

(I just realized the other day that I'm starting to talk in sig codes now.)

MadonnaC
11-20-2008, 03:26 AM

Actually, you do... but you will know it as paracetamol

(info coming to you from a displaced brummie :D )

Lingering Grin
11-20-2008, 11:40 PM
So many people only know brand names, not what is actually in them. Sad state we are in. These are people that businesses make money off of since they buy the brand name and not the generic equivalent.

Even more so, the people who don't know that certain drugs are the exact same thing.

Such as Benadryl and Unisom.

They're both just Diphenhydramine... and they're both the EXACT same dose.

but you'll spend $10 for like 24 Unisom tablets.

Or you can buy a bottle of 100 Benadryl for like $5 :p

and people actualy buy Unisom because it's marketed as a "sleep Aid" and Benadryl is an "Antihistamine"...

Bliss
11-20-2008, 11:58 PM
It's like this joke... I'll tell it and then Jester will retell it so you'll all laugh,....

Anyhow, guy works into a construction store, and asks the clerk.

"Hey, do you guys have trinitrotoluene?"

The clerk looks at him puzzled, and tells him

"Trinitro... trini.... you mean T.N.T.??"

"Yeah! It's just that I can never remember that name..."

:rimshot:

Edit: Btw Isn't it Acetaminophen?? Acetometophen sounds like a mix of Acetaminophen with Meth.... Now THAT would be strong.

Muses_nightmare
11-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Edit: Btw Isn't it Acetaminophen?? Acetometophen sounds like a mix of Acetaminophen with Meth.... Now THAT would be strong.

According to Google, both spellings are right.

TOLady
11-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Slightly OT...

I have a co-irker that drives me nuts with her stupid ideas.

In the breakroom recently, she kept insisting that she couldn't use the cream we had in the fridge because she's lactose intolerant. However, she then turned around and said that she'd use the milk instead.

When I gently pointed out that milk also contained lactose, she kept insisting that only cream contains lactose and that they take it out for the milk. :eek:

Arggghh!

Back OT - I prefer T4's myself:devil: (TOLady has a great Dr).

One month closer to retirement (unless EQ will hire me for her hotel (will stop shamelessly promoting myself shortly).:lol: