PDA

View Full Version : Fun with WIC/EBT

blas
07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
This thread is dedicated to the woes of WIC checks and EBT cards. This thread should be about run-ins with SCs who try and buy Lucky Charms with WIC checks, or lobster with EBT. This thread can also be about stories about run-ins with SCs (and you, the employee merely trying to uphold the policy on WIC/EBT) who have gotten you in trouble/written up/fired/fuming angry.

I really don't have any complaints on WIC. I didn't see a lot of them working at the grocery store. Although, when I did, I did see people trying to buy chocolate milk with WIC checks, like the example above: Lucky Charms with WIC checks, stuff that wasn't WIC approved. No one could make a case against me, I had the entire brochure in a drawer by my till that had every single WIC approved item in it. I wasn't rude about it, though, as much as I wanted to be.

A woman on foodstamps/EBT got me suspended for 3 days. I am not trying to make disparaging comments about people on FS, but people like this woman don't deserve free food.

One time when I was cleaning my bedroom, I found my copy of the write-up. I replayed it all in my mind, but I ended up just getting extremely angry.

We had this extremely nuts coupon deal at the grocery store. Every week, 4 coupons went out to people in the mail. These coupons were for ridiculously low prices, like eggs for 18 cents, bread for like....89 cents? I can't remember exactly, and then there was always ONE freebie. I think it was chips that week, but I can't be for certain. Anyways......it even said on the coupons "one coupon per customer per visit per purchase". Anyone who can read surely can understand that.

Obviously not. And no, this woman wasn't the only person that pulled that crap on us. Now, whenever a customer had multiple items with those coupons, we really didn't say anything, and just got a manager override. We were actually told to just let them get away with it!

So here comes this rough looking woman with her god knows how many children she had (2, 3, or was it 4?) and her overflowing cart. She was nice enough to seperate the items that had the coupons, but here's the kicker:

This woman had 8 of every single item with a coupon. YES, 8 of all 4 coupons. So that's 32 coupons.....not to mention she got 4 free bags of chips out of it!

Then she gets all fussy when my register beeps and prompts that a manager override was needed. She goes "What's all that noise fer?" and I calmly explained that I needed a manager's override if customers bought more than the 1 item per coupon. She then goes, "So you're saying what I'm doing is WRONG?" and I can't remember exactly what I said, I know I said "No" for sure, even though inside I was thinking "yes, yes, you disgusting scammer".

Then the lady (and she's lucky I call her a lady) goes "I'm on FOODSTAMPS. I can't even afford to feed my children! You're saying what I'm doing is WRONG?" (and I'd never even said yes in the first place).

Then she brings up the whole dramatic, "You're trying to take food right out of my children's mouths!" (more like your fat mouth, you cow. Your kids look way too young to be noshing on 4 bags of chips and a 6 pack of 24 oz bottles of Mt Dew and Pepsi).

She left and then called the store, saying that I'd said what she did was "wrong" and again brought up how poor she is, and how she can barely afford to make ends meet, blah blah blah, and how dare someone like me tell her that she can't get food for her children.

The manager on duty called me into the office and formally wrote me up and told me of my 3 day suspension. I refused to sign the slip, but I wanted a copy of it for the records. I also wanted him to formally write up what she complained about. I was dead set on writing a defense and giving it to HR, but I never ended up doing it.

I hope that woman was happy......after all, (what my manager typed up explained everything she'd complained about, and he added what he did to take action) she got COUPONS and gift certificates and a formal apology for my rude behavior.

How about a formal apology for trying to scam the store? We never got one.

*btw: The reason I got suspended was because I'd already previously been written up for my drawer being off. After so many times, you're suspended, then retrained, etc etc*

thegiraffe
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Thankfully, I don't get very many WIC or foodstamps where I live. What really irks me though is the people who'll get the necessities with the WIC, then buy plain junk food with the EBT. (For those of y'all across the pond, WIC is called women, infants, and children. It's only for specified necessities - milk, 100% juice, eggs, dried beans, formula, certain cereals. EBT is foodstamps - it pays for just about anything edible, with a few exceptions). I've talked to my dad several times (he's a politician) about somehow making it so that those who buy healthier foods get more money, and those who buy junk and abuse the system get systematically less money. EBT is for nutrition, not to buy your kid a birthday party (I've seen them blow upwards of $60 on a cake....with foodstamps). I also think they need to trim what's allowed with EBT. Our registers are (barely) smart enough to discern EBT from regular stuff, so it can all be combined into one order. Therefore, it knows what it covers and what it doesn't. Wanna solve the obesity epidemic? Start looking at what the government CAN (or should be able to) control first :)

Ok...off my tirade. The only real problem I had was when a lady didn't have her WIC card with her (the little signature thing). I told her I couldn't accept it, and she got upset saying no one's checked the card before, etc. So I got my manager who deals with idiots and doesn't take their crap and she said that I was absolutely right and doing my job, and if others weren't checking the card, they weren't doing theirs. She said the WIC office told her to keep the card in the lil envelope with all the checks, and place that in a desk or something - leave it at home. I don't really doubt that, as I'm sure geniuses work there too, but she should have been caught before this point. So...long story short, she didn't get her stuff, and I got praise for doing what I was supposed to do. What can I say - I have awesome management :)

dragonflygrrl
07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
At the gas station where I used to work, we didn't take EBT. Not that that stopped people from trying. I don't have a problem in the world with people doing what they have to to feed themselves and their families, and I always was friendly and sympathetic when telling people that I was sorry, but I couldn't take their EBT card. Except one time.

This woman came into my store, spent over $50 total buying scratch off tickets a dollar at a time, which any gas station veteran can tell you is uber-annoying. Not only that, but she scratched them off (a dollar at a time) right at the counter, and tried to cut in front of customers waiting in line each time she wanted another one.

Finally, she used up all her cash except for three bucks and some change, and decided to buy a pack of "our cheapest smokes." No problem, I rang her up and hoped she'd leave. No such luck. She went around the store, getting milk, eggs, bread, and lunchmeat, brought it back up to the counter, and whipped out an EBT card.

There was never a person more satisfied with their lot in life than I was as I smilingly informed her we couldn't accept EBT. Of course, she flew into a full-on temper tantrum, telling me I was trying to keep her from feeding her family, and her kids were going to go hungry and it was all my fault.:violin:

We finally had to call the cops to come and get her, and the guy that took her away said, "So you spent all your money on lotto and smokes, and it's this girl's fault you can't buy bread? Get in the car and shut up." He got free donuts from then on. :)

alphaboi
07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Here in PA the WIC agency has started issueing checks that can be used at any authorized WIC retailer instead of making applicants select one store. But we now have to get ID for every check. Until last Monday we were forbidden to ask for any ID other than their WIC; now we must scan their ID into the register (or get their SSN) for every check. If they have 4 checks in a row we need their ID 4 times. That's causing alot of problems.

KayEm
07-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Then the lady (and she's lucky I call her a lady) goes "I'm on FOODSTAMPS. I can't even afford to feed my children! You're saying what I'm doing is WRONG?" (and I'd never even said yes in the first place).

Then she brings up the whole dramatic, "You're trying to take food right out of my children's mouths!" (more like your fat mouth, you cow. Your kids look way too young to be noshing on 4 bags of chips and a 6 pack of 24 oz bottles of Mt Dew and Pepsi).

Maybe people like her should have thought about all this before they spawned. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Personally, I'm sick to death of watching all these people load up on expensive crap that us workers can't afford. And we WORK. Something's wrong here.

Food stamps should only be allowed for purchases on REAL food. I.E. fruits, vegetable, whole grains, dairy etc. Let them fucking COOK for chrissakes.

coop52
07-11-2006, 06:44 PM
WIC at both the stores I worked at never was a major problem. My only complaint about it was that it was sometimes very illogical, like some flavors of Juicy Juice not ringing up as WIC when all other flavors are or the small size boxes being WIC when the larger size of the same stuff (and the size still being in the limit on the voucher) not ringing up right. Sometimes I do get people that fuss, but not very often. Also, at my other store, I would often have to help Spanish speaking customers find the right items via use of pointing and charades. Those people usually were really nice about it though.

Some EBT stories:

-During my very first week as a cashier I had a lady come through my line and spend the whole time talking to my bagger about the new pool she just got. When it came time to pay, she used an EBT card. I remember thinking that she could have easily bought groceries had she not gotten her stupid pool.

-Another time I had a man come through with $15-20 worth of groceries, a six pack of beer, an EBT card, and a $20 bill. After I rang him up, it rejected his EBT card because he didn't have enough on it. Guess what he left behind and what he used his $20 on.

-I get people all the time coming through fussing and whining about food from the deli not being EBT.

PuckishOne
07-11-2006, 06:58 PM
I know what WIC is, but can someone explain EBT? As you can guess, I've never worked register, so while I have some idea what it must be, I'm ignorant on the specifics. :)

toolbert
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
I know what WIC is, but can someone explain EBT? As you can guess, I've never worked register, so while I have some idea what it must be, I'm ignorant on the specifics. :)

see, I know about EBT, but I don't know about WIC...so please explain :D

PuckishOne
07-11-2006, 07:29 PM
see, I know about EBT, but I don't know about WIC...so please explain :D
If memory serves, WIC (Women, Infants & Children) is a program for low-income mothers that helps them buy things like milk, baby food, other feeding-related things, and might also have something to do with well-child care (but I'm not entirely sure). My only exposure to this has been via the infamous "people I know," so I might not be completely accurate. But that's the general idea. ;)

ZumZum
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, WIC stands for Women, Infant and Children.
You are given vouchers for food (vegetables, milk, cereal, formula) There are restrictions to what kind and how much you can get.
WIC also provides free well-baby check-ups and immunizations.

WIC saved our lives when our son was born. If it wasn't for WIC we may not have eaten as healthy as we did, nor had the money for all the doctor's appointments (my insurance at the time was horrible). Our son was a "surprise" so any assistance we were given was appreciated.

toolbert
07-11-2006, 07:36 PM
well EBT is basically similar to food stamps instead of it being a set of stamps, its like a debit card that holds the amount that they are allotted for food and what not. The same restrictions apply to the EBT cards as they do to the food stamps

thegiraffe
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Down here in FL, we don't have to slide their ID (in fact, I could care less if they have their ID on them for WIC). We have to look at their WIC card (with names/signatures of authorized purchasers) and match it against the signature they put on the check. If they don't match, sucks for them. There can be as many as....4 (I think) authorized purchasers per WIC "account". No card, no dice (see my story above). Some of the WIC checks are for special formula for the babies...they can get like 4 cans of this kind of this size - gotta check EVERYTHING to make sure it matches up - and the total can come out to well over $60. I can only imagine how expensive that would get out of pocket. I work with children at school, and I see how much formula some of those kids eat - they're like vacuum cleaners. I totally agree with WIC - people don't realize exactly how much a baby costs until you're scrounging up money to pay for one. Foodstamps (EBT) are great and wonderful too, as long as they're not abused (which I see more abuse than not). Just my feelings about it.

Side note [slightly off-topic]: I wrote the governer a few years back (my dad knows him sorta) about a lady I saw with like 4-6 WIC checks, then all kinds of crapola on food stamps (upwards of $150 of junk). I explained my concerns of wasting money, how it'd be cheaper to educate them now and not pay for their healthcare/insulin/etc later, and he wrote me back! He said that he agreed I had a genuine concern and that he'd look into it. I was...17 at the time I think. Just shows that if you write a politician - even the governer - you can potentially get things accomplished. Or at least get a response :)

Think Blue
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
One time I was getting a cart at a food 4 less, and some guy came up to me and said "I'll pay for your food" so I was a bit confused as to why he wanted to do that. So I asked "how and why are you going to pay for my food?". He whipped out his EBT card and says you go into the store shop for your groceries and I'll pay for them and then when we get outside you pay me with cash. My expression was something like :eek: :confused:.

Ringtail Z28
07-12-2006, 12:01 AM
One time I was getting a cart at a food 4 less, and some guy came up to me and said "I'll pay for your food" so I was a bit confused as to why he wanted to do that. So I asked "how and why are you going to pay for my food?". He whipped out his EBT card and says you go into the store shop for your groceries and I'll pay for them and then when we get outside you pay me with cash. My expression was something like :eek: :confused:.

Unfortunately the Welfare and EBT programs are so riddled with fraud it's rediculous. I'd like to say that it's only a very tiny percentage of the people who use it are cheating the system. Of course that would mean giving humanity more credit than it deserves.

AmericanZero8503
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
My older sister was on WIC. She informed me that they are trained on how to place the items to the Cashier, at least here in Indiana. they also must inform the cashier that the transaction is WIC.

I rang up a $70 WIC order before the dude hands me the checks, meaning I had to void it, unbag it, and ring it up again....errrgghhh...during a One-day sale none the less...I was ready to kick something.

But the system does help those who use it properly. It's unfortunate that a few bad apples out there have to make the rest look bad. I go to school with a woman who is on EBT so that she can pay for food, since she is a full time non-traditional student with three boys. I tell her stories and she get's pissed off that people would abuse the system like that.

MadMike
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
We finally had to call the cops to come and get her, and the guy that took her away said, "So you spent all your money on lotto and smokes, and it's this girl's fault you can't buy bread? Get in the car and shut up." He got free donuts from then on. :)

Isn't it great when someone else says what you can't? :D

The supermarket where I worked was in what looked like an upper-middle class neighborhood, so we didn't really have to deal with food stamps that often, and I don't know if WIC even existed back then.

Of the few food stamp customers I did get, I don't recall anyone going overboard with junk. They might buy a thing of soda, a small amount of snacks, etc., but I seemed to remember most of them buying a fairly large quantity of meat.

The only annoying thing I ever really had to deal with was when people didn't separate their eligible and non-eligible items, and didn't tell me they were paying with food stamps until after I was done ringing everything up. We were part of a large chain, but the store was on the small side, and probably somewhat old, and we didn't have scanners. We had to manually key in everything by price, so there was no way for the system to automatically separate everything, since it had no way to tell if the price I had keyed in was for food or not. When this happened, I had to call the manager up, have him void off all the non-eligible stuff, and then have the customer pay for that order, and then re-ring all the other stuff as a separate order.

Ree
07-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Maybe people like her should have thought about all this before they spawned. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.So, unless a person can guarantee that they will never lose their job, they shouldn't consider having children?

Not that abuse of the foodstamps, WIC, EBT does not happen, but making general statements like that seems a little unfair, in my opinion.

I guess that just comes from growing up in a country that has had such strong social programs.
Because I never pay for a hospital or doctor visit, and I know that, in the event that we would lose our jobs, there are some programs in place, I don't get so upset by it.

Abuse of the system, yes, but not the fact that the systems are there to begin with.

I know when I was a cashier at a grocery store, a hundred years ago :p , I used to get a little ticked at some of the stuff that went through my cash courtesy of the welfare program. The way it worked was, we rang the groceries through and put it in as a charge to the agency that looked after it, and the store got paid once a month.

I think there was a limit on the amount, but there were no rules about what they could buy. They were supposed to tell us before we started, that it was a charge, but because it's a small town, we usually knew anayway, since we got to know our customers.

To me, a flashlight that the kid picked up at random while standing at the cash doesn't quite qualify, but it wasn't my place to say anything.

Kogarashi
07-12-2006, 01:42 AM
I had a good handful of the people who'd wait to tell me it was a WIC purchase (and fail to separate their purchase properly) until I'd rung up most of it. ::facepalm:: That usually necessitated a void and then a brief (silent) demonstration in sorting WIC purchases.

The most memorable WIC/EBT transaction I can remember really wasn't a SC, just unusual. A middle-aged lady came through with four elderly, mentally disabled gentlemen and a large purchase (at least one full cart). I rang through the whole transaction, and then the lady began handing me EBT cards one at a time. Turns out she was a helper for these four gentlemen, and the EBT cards were for them. I got to spend the next bit swiping EBT cards. The register won't take any past four, though, so I think I had to remove some of the items from the purchase so she could finish paying.

coop52
07-12-2006, 02:35 AM

That's why they switched from stamps to cards in the first place, because people would stand outside of stores and sell the stamps for drug money. I guess people've found a way to go around that. :rolleyes:

Seanette
07-12-2006, 02:53 AM
One thing that really irritated me in my 7-11 days about food stamp users (this was pre-EBT) was the oft-repeated "Mom sends each kid in with a $1 food stamp. Each kid individually buys a 5-cent piece of candy. Mom then collects all the change and buys beer/cigarettes/lottery with same".

Crazyredhead
07-12-2006, 03:34 AM
I get both WIC and EBT. Although my food stamps will probably end this month. I have 5 kids and it is a big help. Although WIC doens't have a very low limit on income. For a family of 7 you can't bring in any more than $50,000.00 a month.

I don't buy junk food. I usually try to stock up on meat. It is expensive and goes quickly in my house. My hubby needs to have meat with every meal or it isn't a meal. :baby:

I try to get healthy food. Stuff that I can put together. Yes, I do get some junk food, cookies and candy. I bake my own cakes and cookies. But because of the ease of which my kids can get cavities, they don't get alot of sweets. I get that big bag of Jolly Ranchers and it will last me for 2 months. I like them to. Actually my kids go through milk faster than any sweets.

RavenStarr
07-12-2006, 04:10 AM
I do understand that there are people out there who do need Wic/EBT. I was on WIC when my kids were smaller.

I just hate those ones that keep on having kids just so they can get more benefits like more money on a foodstamp card.

I have enough WIC/EBT stories to write a book. I'll share my most recent encounter.

About a month ago a woman comes through my line with a Wic voucher. I asked the woman if that was her signature on the first line. She said no it was her nieces name. I told her I couldn't take it. Well she starts running her mouth asking why not? I called for a manager. She got mad and asked me why I was calling a manager. I looked at her and said: " I have to see if it's ok for you to sign your nieces name on the WIC". Yes I did say that. Well the manager comes over and says no she can't do that. Well the woman starts yelling and cussing,saying there's a baby at home who's got no formula and he's hungry. You know trying to make us feel guilty.So we are just such horrible rotten people.:rolleyes:

She did buy one thing though. A 2 litre mountain dew. You know what she handed me to pay for it? A 50 dollar bill. That's right instead of buying just one can of formula so the baby didn't go hungry, she makes an ass of herself because she can't sign her nieces name. Gotta love people like that.:rolleyes:

Crazyredhead
07-12-2006, 04:23 AM
I have no stories of woe about WIC but I do have an outdated complaint.

Recently our health department changed there format. Instead of signing all of the checks once before handing them to you, you now don't have to. What I mean is that there used to be two signature blocks and before you left the HD you had to sign one and the other one at the time of purchase.

Well, what I was really peeved about is that when I signed it at the store the cashier would tell me that since the signatures didn't match she couldn't authorize it. I tried telling them that when I signed them I was holding a baby and now I am not so the sigs will look different. I usually had to request a manager who would ask for my license and let me through. It must have happened so many times that I guess the WIC agency got tired of the complaints and changed the look of the checks. Now there is only one signature required. I don't even have the folder anymore. My baby tore it up. I'll be getting a new one on my next visit next week.

Ree
07-12-2006, 04:30 AM
The fact that we do have members who use these programs is probably a very good reminder to people to be careful about making generalized, judgmental statements when offering opinions on the programs. :respect:
The point of the thread is to comment on how some people are being sucky customers when they redeem these vouchers, or whatever, rather than to pass judgment on why the programs exist, or whether they should.

Crazyredhead
07-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Don't worry about it. I am not offended in the least. It takes more than some typed words to get me riled. I understand that there are some customers out there who are asses and that no one is adding me to the list.

Rapscallion
07-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Like everything else, let's leave it to the people on benefit who suck, not just tarring everyone with the same brush :) Same as with customers, y'know? Some of them are actually human :p

Just doesn't feel like many, some days...

Rapscallion

ladodger34
07-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Maybe people like her should have thought about all this before they spawned. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

My sis literally had an accident with my nephew (the best accident that ever happened to our family BTW). She was on BC and also on anti-biotics and ended up getting pregnant. Long run, it was her fault of course. Short run, it was a dumb mistake that most folks don't have to pay for.

My sis and my bro in law work their butts off and live rent free in my parents old house (my parents inherited my grandmother's house that she paid cash for and still pay for mortgage on their house). They haven't finished school yet and have a hard time making ends meet. Luckily my parents can cover most of the stuff they can't. Even so, my sister still gets WIC because they are dirt poor. They might not live dirt poor, but without my parents, their behinds would nearly be on the streets.

Most people should think about that stuff but mistakes do happen. WIC is an excellent program to make sure that kids and their parents get the basics.

Nick
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Where I work... we do not accept WIC checks, but we accept "Quest Debit" cards, I guess is the same thing as EBT.

When people ask if we accept Food Stamps, or WIC Checks, and I tell them no, boy, do they sure get mad. They then pull out a wad of $100 bills. I live in a very upper-class area, and most of these people are from the city.

blas
07-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Here's two different instances of two different people on WIC and EBT.

One of my friends, who has my godbaby, she and her husband get WIC checks and EBT. Both of them work, but they just don't make enough (and of course, my friend gets no benefits and the same pay I made at the gas station), and during the winter her husband is laid off. They had a baby last winter. They couldn't live on only one (low) income. They never abuse anything and it helps them make it through and raise their child to be healthy.

Then there's the girl I always refer to who used to work at the gas station. Miss "I don't WANNNNNA work", Miss "I don't FEEEEL like it!" Miss "I wanna go HOME...blas won't you come in for me?" Miss "I have MONO!". Ok...she has a baby, WIC and EBT both. The WIC is for the formula for her baby, etc. The EBT is for cookies, french toast sticks, pizzas, etc.......junk food for her and her bf and their friends. She once let a friend borrow her EBT card and spend $20 on it if that friend would give her $20 in cash for a bag of weed. Yes, I'm serious.

There's gracious, good-hearted people like my friend, and then there's scamming types like my ex-coworker.

Plaidman
07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
It gets better when people get EBT Cash benfits. Can you say MULTIPLE 18 packs of beer and cartons of cigs?? Happens to me all the time.

I've yet to get a single customer who didn't spend less then 10 bucks on junk food, and I've been there 2 1/2 years! I can tell someone is using ebt right of the bat cause they pile on the junk food, and/or drive in using nice cars and expensive clothes.

Lehk
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
She once let a friend borrow her EBT card and spend $20 on it if that friend would give her $20 in cash for a bag of weed. Yes, I'm serious.

There's gracious, good-hearted people like my friend, and then there's scamming types like my ex-coworker.

that is why welfare, WIC, and Benefit cards/EBT/foodstamps programs should come with random drug (hair test) screenings. people using the programs as intended would have more money available from the budget with the freeloaders removed. if you can afford your sack of weed you don't need government help for food.

I'm not even anti-drugs i just think that government aid should be for those who need it rather than those lacking the self control to buy what they need and forego what they want till they can afford it.

Primer
07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
government aid should be for those who need it

In my area, government aid is only for women who are pregnant and/or have kids already.

When I was a full-time student, making way below poverty level, I applied for temporary assistance. I was told I'd have to drop out of school AND get pregnant before I would even be considered. That was the last semester I attended school full time. Neither dropping out nor getting pregnant was an option for me. I'm not too proud of some of what I did do to survive the rest of that semester, but "obviously" I did not need aid. :headscratch:

Lehk
07-12-2006, 10:01 PM
In my area, government aid is only for women who are pregnant and/or have kids already.

I was told I'd have to drop out of school AND get pregnant before I would even be considered.

that is f***ing ridiculous. anyone acting to improve their situation should be first in line for aid because they will need it for less time and put it to good use.

Becks
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
that is f***ing ridiculous. anyone acting to improve their situation should be first in line for aid because they will need it for less time and put it to good use.

But that would mean that is MAKES SENSE. That's a big no-no in the real world nowadays. :(

karma_gypsy
07-12-2006, 11:18 PM
So, dealing with WIC and EBT, I'm sure most of you know about the beginning of the month rush? We'll at least here where I live we get it pretty bad, unfortunately this town thrives on the beginning of the month, meaning, Disability checks, Welfare checks, Child Support, EBT and all that get sent out/refilled etc.

There are those out there who do know how to spend their government granted money, then there are those who simply live off it, they blow it at the beginning of the month and live poorly the rest of the month. . . It's sad, really, considering that money is mainly to support children (we'll, except the disability - which some people have figured out a way to abuse), but the money ends up going to, like everyone's saying, junk food and drugs.

I've got a story though.
We're were standing behind this nicely dressed couple in line, they purchased a substantial amount of food with their EBT card. I can't remember exactly what they got, and it was just the couple, no kids were present.
We were rang up and we went out to parking lot only to find the couple were loading up their groceries in a very, very nice (and probably very spendy) sports car. Could they have borrowed it? I'm not quite sure, unless they're very thrifty with their money . . . :shrug:

LadyMage
07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
There's people that need it and there's the people that scam it.

I see both on a regular basis. The scammers seem to be coming in a much bigger propensity than the people that need it because they make the biggest hissy fits at the checkout lines. I've witnessed many a stereotypical "babymomma" paying for junk foot with EBT and then throwing a fit because something or other isn't for EBT purchasing ...and as an insult to injury, throwing it all in a Beemer or Cadillac.

But really...I'm facing the same barrel and may have to go on medicaid since 1. my income doesn't cover and 2. once the divorce finalizes, I'm w/o insurance and 3. I'm an independent on my taxes. I'm, basically, screwed unless I do.

So it's a matter of where, who and how - most people that get aid that need it usually don't do what the welfaeries do.

I would personally love for the welfare system to be audited, but that'd take enormous money and effort.

Sacknahalf05
07-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah, been there. My (now ex-husband) and I went to apply for some kind of aid after the birth of our son, due to his losing his good job and taking a fast-food position just to have some income, and losing my income (I worked up to 3 days before my son was born). What I heard from that social services worker that day just about killed my faith in humanity. The woman told us that since he had a job, they were unable to offer us anything, but if he were to quit his job (this is where she went hypothetical on us) there were many things she could offer us, such as an apartment, food stamps and grants for schooling.

However, let's switch gears here. My mother (whose only major medical issue is an acute case of leadintheassitis) has been receiving food stamps for well over 10 years now, and had a government apartment for 4 years (where she got a monthly check to pay the utilities), that she actually only lived in for the first 8 months or so. Weekly visits to the emergency room for things as simple as headaches, I could go on. She may work 1 month out of the year, just to get that child deduction on her taxes and get upwards of a 1000 dollar refund.

Makes you sick, doesn't it?

Lehk
07-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I would personally love for the welfare system to be audited, but that'd take enormous money and effort.

it needs more than an audit.

the entire system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, however the challenge is doing this "hot" since you can't just say "sorry kids no food or electricityfor 6 months while we revamp social services"

i believe 40 hr/week job training should be required for welfare benifits that way people

A: won't become trapped in the system due to no recent job experiance or skills

B: would not gain free time by being supported by government programs instead of supporting themselves.

if we base the training programs on what local employers need we help the local economy twofold, by reducing the number of long term welfare recipients and improving the overall workforce. this also gives more dignity to anyone who must take welfare to support their families due to having somewhere to be and work to do in the training programs. i have seen the effect of years of "free time" on someone and it really does break both your ambition and your self esteem.

Ringtail Z28
07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
So, dealing with WIC and EBT, I'm sure most of you know about the beginning of the month rush? We'll at least here where I live we get it pretty bad, unfortunately this town thrives on the beginning of the month, meaning, Disability checks, Welfare checks, Child Support, EBT and all that get sent out/refilled etc.

At the Target I used to work at we would refer to the first of the month as "Welfare Day". It was in a poor neighborhood too, so we would expect to get slammed whenever it came up.

I've got a story though.
We're were standing behind this nicely dressed couple in line, they purchased a substantial amount of food with their EBT card. I can't remember exactly what they got, and it was just the couple, no kids were present.
We were rang up and we went out to parking lot only to find the couple were loading up their groceries in a very, very nice (and probably very spendy) sports car. Could they have borrowed it? I'm not quite sure, unless they're very thrifty with their money . . . :shrug:

More than likely it was their car. You would truly be amazed at what a lot of welfaires own. I see it everyday at the welfare office I currently work at. Blinged out, tacky looking Escalades seem to be really popular lately, along with Jaguars and Minis. A lot of this has to do with fraud or people who simply can't handle their money properly. Many own these expensive cars, designer clothes, plasma screen TVs and things like that yet are horribly in debt and live in a dump.

staticradio
07-13-2006, 05:44 PM
WIC is usually easy when the computer prompts you if something is not in the approved list. EBT can be annoying when people think they can pay for a $200 bill with only $50 left on their account. I get a good chunk of these people who are amazed there's a remaining amount that has to be paid either in cash, check, debit, blood, et al. (well, not blood ;) ).

coop52
07-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Where I live, every Thursday is Welfare Day, so today over half of my customers had EBT cards. Fortunately, the vast majority were really nice customers. Unfortunately, our card readers don't read the majority of EBT cards for some reason, so if it doesn't slide we have to punch in the account number. Any card that needs to be punched in needs an override, so all us cashiers spend a few minutes per purchase waiting on people with override keys to come to us. Meanwhile, our lines are getting bigger and bigger. We stayed pretty busy from just after five until closing time. Normally, it's dead after seven. This is why I HATE working Thursdays.

Lehk
07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Unfortunately, our card readers don't read the majority of EBT cards for some reason, so if it doesn't slide we have to punch in the account number.

it would be nice if they would use a barcode or 2D barcode system much less likely to be damaged and with a 2D barcode (the ones that look like random noise) you can encode a ton of redundant data so if only a little bit is left undamaged it can be read with no problem

Barefootgirl
07-14-2006, 08:24 AM
A lot of this has to do with fraud or people who simply can't handle their money properly. Many own these expensive cars, designer clothes, plasma screen TVs and things like that yet are horribly in debt and live in a dump.

Over here the people who live on benefits but appear to "live large" are doing one or more of three things;

a) living entirely on credit - store cards, credit cards, Fat Stan the Loanshark's friendly Handouts With A Smile. i don't know if this is a significant issue in the US, but certainly in less well-off areas here, there are sharks that go door-to-door loaning people money at extortionate rates of interest (can be upwards of 500%). A few people can pay it off, but of course the majority can't, so Fat Stan lends them more and more...and so it goes on. Of course if they can't pay, that's when he stops being Fat Stan everybody's friend, and sends in his men with baseball bats.

b) simple fraud - defrauding the benefit system and lying about the things they qualify for, pretending to be disabled at assessments, etc

c) flat-out crime. An AWFUL lot of the people you see who are apparently living on benefits but are driving round in flashy cars are criminals, pure and simple. They may be burglars, or drug dealers, or shoplifters, or kiters, but they are all criminals. I may wish i had the material assets that some of these people have, but at least I don't have to worry about the knock on the door at 4am.

stickycoins
07-14-2006, 08:59 AM
It's all about the bling and some people will do anything for that. We only take cash, but I lost count of what I have seen in the grocery lines here. Yes, some are truly deserving, especially the young military families. Believe me, they DO qualify for aid. Those are the ones I see getting what will provide them good meals. The rest load up on soda, chips, TV dinners, and pure junk. They are usually well-dressed, designer nails, lots of jewelry, equal amount of kids. And driving nice cars. I just don't get how they can afford a new car but still qualify for EBT. At one time, I tried to get it but I made too much money($12,000 a year!) but they didn't take bills into account or after taxes. That's waaay below poverty here for one person. It seems to me the ones that really need it can't get it because of the frauds that do. They know how to work the system from generations before them. It's passed down.

pbmods
07-14-2006, 01:43 PM
-During my very first week as a cashier I had a lady come through my line and spend the whole time talking to my bagger about the new pool she just got. When it came time to pay, she used an EBT card. I remember thinking that she could have easily bought groceries had she not gotten her stupid pool.

I thought to be eligible (at least in Illinois) for EBT, your total assets must be worth less than a ridiculously small amount (something like $1000, depending on your income).

A pool?? WTF? Somebody's been lying on her application....

Severen13
07-14-2006, 03:33 PM
During my brief stint at Wal-Mart I never had any real problems with WIC or EBT customers. It was always the snotty rich people and their demon spawn that gave me a hard time.

Dreamstalker
07-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I've talked to my dad several times (he's a politician) about somehow making it so that those who buy healthier foods get more money, and those who buy junk and abuse the system get systematically less money.
Now that is an awesome idea.

However, would the people who are trying to buy junk figure it out on their own, or would they just abuse the state/cashiers?
Food stamps should only be allowed for purchases on REAL food. I.E. fruits, vegetable, whole grains, dairy etc. Let them fucking COOK for chrissakes.
Agreed completely.

I went to a very interesting seminar for a class last year; the panel was on local food banks and farmers markets. One of the women from the food bank said that not many people know how to actually cook anymore. So, what her food bank does is offer free cooking classes on various foods (fish, squash, beans, etc). The farmers market puts together "dinner kits" with ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes.

Rapscallion
07-14-2006, 09:07 PM
If memory serves, people who eat healthily and cook for themselves save money anyway. All that preparation costs.

Rapscallion

Retail's Bitch
07-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Got a question for the OP... These cards, WIC, EBT... They're so families can have food on the table for their kids right?

Why begrudge their kids a birthday cake? I have no qualms bitching about people who outright abuse it, but shouldn't these kids have a normal life as possible? Why should their kids go without fun things like a birthday cake just because Mum and Dad can't afford one with their own green?

Just my two cents.

stickycoins
07-15-2006, 04:13 AM
Why should their kids go without fun things like a birthday cake just because Mum and Dad can't afford one with their own green?

Why didn't Mom-Dad buy the cake mix and icing(much cheaper)and make it themselves? As far as I know, prepared foods aren't allowed on EBT anyway so the cashier was the one who made the mistake or the person paid for it with cash. I always loved my moms cakes even if they came out lopsided, it was the thought that counted. She was a single parent until I was 15, always worked, and it was hard. But as far as I remember we never got any kind of Gov. help with food, rent, or anything. It CAN be done. You just have to want to do it. But evidently it's much easier to sit on your @ss and let good ole Uncle Sam take care of you. Like I said, the ones who really need it can't get it.

*EDIT-Fixed quote tags

RavenStarr
07-15-2006, 04:36 AM
*Points to stickycoins* Yeah,what she said. The parent could have just bought cake mix.

When my Mom got divoriced she had 5 kids ( I wasn't born yet). Before she met and married my Dad, she managed to take care of herself and her family. She did this with no child support, (because her exhusband was an asshole, and this was before they had the deadbeat parent laws.), no assistance of any kind. So stickycoins is right, it can be done.

Lehk
07-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Why didn't Mom-Dad buy the cake mix and icing(much cheaper)and make it themselves?

growing up my mom always made birthday cakes from cake mix, the pre-made cakes suck real bad anyways

Ree
07-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Why didn't Mom-Dad buy the cake mix and icing(much cheaper)and make it themselves? Not everyone has a knack for cooking or baking.

You guys all make a good point about those on the programs making their own food fom scratch, etc., but have you ever once seen it from the eyes of the kids? I think RB is doing just that.

How do you know if, in this case, the child hasn't had a homemade cake every year, but just once, as a treat, Mom decided to get a fancy decorated one?

Maybe Mom felt that, just once, it might be a nice treat.

It's easy to generalize, but not every person on these programs is out to cheat they system. In fact, I have a hunch all these dramatic stories are not the norm, and are actually exceptions, but because they are such extreme cases, and worthy of anger, they get more attention.
Stories like that get repeated.

It's kind of like when one customer gets angry at your store and passes on the story. Maybe the story gets passed on to others who had a bad experience too, then they make the connection with their own situation. Suddenly, your store has a reputation that it sucks big time, when in fact, there were only a handful of people out of thousands of customers who had a problem.

Nobody ever passes on the good stories.

Retail's Bitch
07-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Not everyone has a knack for cooking or baking.

You guys all make a good point about those on the programs making their own food fom scratch, etc., but have you ever once seen it from the eyes of the kids? I think RB is doing just that.

Exactly. Some people just can't cook. I had a roommate in college who couldn't boil water. I swear to god. She would buy nothing but those EASY MAC packages, and I told her, "Well you know the KD that you boil, etc, is cheaper."

I tried to teach her how to make Kraft Dinner... I showed her how to boil the water, add the macaroni, the butter, the milk, the sauce packet... She's just dumber than a bag of hammers.

My ex-brother-in-law tried to make MINUTE rice once.... Thought the box said 11-21 minutes and popped it into the microwave. The box said 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes... The house and microwave smelled like burned popcorn for months.

So maybe Mum burnt the cake, and had the kid's birthday party in an hour... Isn't this 'helping hand' to make the family's life as normal as possible? So the kids aren't going hungry and going without? If Mum can't cook worth beans and burns the birthday cake, or forgets to put in one of the ingredients and it doesn't rise, or doesn't set, Timmy should go without?

Sure my mum baked a cake every year. My mum's a great cook. But one year I wanted an icecream cake... That's all I asked for all year long. Now my Mum can cook, but she can't make icecream cake... So she went out and bought it.

I'm sure these kids get picked on enough as it is for their parents being on assistance. I remember a few kids in my classes as a kid getting teased mercilessly for being on the "welly..."

Not like the kids can help it and go out and get a job. So, yes... There are some families out there that abuse it. But as the mods have said repeatedly. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. It's not fair to the people on the board that use assistance. Or the kids you're punishing because of it.

So next time a big lavish birthday cake comes through your line. Instead of scowling. Make small talk. "Oooh so Timmy's having a birthday! How old is he going to be??" Instead of zeroing in on how Timmy's mother is cheating the system.

Again... Just my two cents.

*EDIT-quoting entire post.

Gurndigarn
07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Got a question for the OP... These cards, WIC, EBT... They're so families can have food on the table for their kids right?

Why begrudge their kids a birthday cake? I have no qualms bitching about people who outright abuse it, but shouldn't these kids have a normal life as possible? Why should their kids go without fun things like a birthday cake just because Mum and Dad can't afford one with their own green?

Just my two cents.

The WIC program isn't too bad, since it's got specific items you can get. It is a pain for the cashiers when you check out, but it's a lot harder to abuse.

Food stamps/EBT, however, is pretty bad. It's a blank check, so [1] it gets abused (about half the EBT purchases I've ever seen I questioned for one reason or another), and [2] it removes a lot of the incentive to learn to cook. The amounts they give people seem to be high enough to allow them to get enormous quantities of meat or pre-packaged (nuke and go) meals, rather than learning how to make real meals with less-expensive (and, typically, healthier) foods.

And my own personal experience with the system: one of our daughters had an eating disorder when she was young (she decided that breast milk tasted terrible, and only drank enough to barely stay alive. At six months, she weighed three ounces more than at birth, and was more wrinkles than not-wrinkles.) Our income was tight at the time, and we were trying to save up for a down payment on a house. Y'know, we were trying to be financially responsible: no debts, start on the owning land. It meant not having a lot of luxuries, but that was OK.

It turned out that we had too much money saved to be eligible for food stamps. Well, OK. I was disappointed, but I understand why those rules are there. What irked me was the way the lady on the other side of the counter was more than happy to tell me exactly how much money we would need to spend, and what I shouldn't buy with it, in order to become eligible, plus how to refill the paperwork... I swear, if she had winked at me during this process, it would have fit perfectly. She practically said "Well, the government will give you money... if you do things that make you rely entirely on the government."

In the end, the WIC program got us what we needed, our daughter recovered, and we did buy a house some time later. But every time I see someone whip out an EBT card to buy a dozen TV dinners and a package of ribs, I think back to that very helpful lady at welfare, and shake my head.

NightAngel
07-15-2006, 05:59 PM
There was a time, many moons ago, when I was one Welfare. WIC, foodstamps (actual stamps), AFDC, HUD, the whole 9. My oldest son's Dad and I both worked. We did NOT live grandly (at all) but for whatever reason we couldn't make it.

I was standing in line at the grocery store one day and pulled out my food stamp book and this woman behind me says, "It's people like YOU that are the problem with this country! Why don't you get a job?"

I replied, "I HAVE a full time job and I have a child, but I can't make it and my child WILL eat. Everytime I pull out this book I'm swallowing every ounce of pride I ever had. My kid won't starve because someone like you thinks I'm scum."

She looked embarrassed.
I was in tears and ran out of the store.

KayEm
07-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Nightangel,

I am so sorry that happened to you. Outright cruelty and humiliation is just something I cannot stomach. Seriously, I may have my bitches and moans about FS/EBT, but I would never indicate to a customer my thoughts in any way simply because I do not know their circumstances and I never want to hurt anyone like that.

Yes, with food stamps there are abusers, but there's people who work and couldn't make it without them but you don't know which is which, so we've got to give the benefit of the doubt.

My main bitch at the end of it is that it's just hard to take when I see them buying things that I can't even afford. That's it.

stickycoins
07-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't think any of us here begrudge anyone getting aid if they need it. You're right Ree, only the bad ones stand out. I know I felt pretty bad about even appyling for help. It's the ones that brag about never having to work, not trying to do anything to better themselves, and take advantage of the system that we're talking about here. And I would NEVER say anything to someone like that person did! That was just plain RUDE!

Crazyredhead
07-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Yes it is the bad people that make it hard on those of us that are trying to do right. It is the bad people that never get caught. I used to get the paper stamps before and I would die a thousand deaths when I had to pull them out. But I kept telling myself that it was for my kids, and it made me feel better. I will swallow my pride if it means something for my kids. I will take charity for my kids, but not for myself. I haven't a clue as how to buy myself something like clothes or shoes. I spent most of my adult life wearing uniforms and never had anywhere to go anywhere, so I don't even know what looks good on me. Now don't get me wrong, I do have clothes to wear but nothing really nice.

I know that this thread was meant for those who abuse the system. And I dont' take offense to anything here. I just need to get this off of my chest, cause I deal with it all the time, on this side of the register. But I don't really care, my kids are not skinny and hungry. They are not obese or fat but they are not underweight. They are between the 50th and 100th percentile for there weight and height. My 15 year old is off of the scale with height and weight. She is almost 5' 10" and 140 lbs, she is healthy and still smaller than me at 5'7" and 170 lbs. I have had people ask me if I am her sister, and they are shocked to find out that she is my daughter. But then all of my kids averaged about 10 lbs when born (except the baby, who was 7lbs 12oz)

I wish I could get a little bit of EBT cash funds for toilet paper, paper towels, cleaner and dish liquid. Only about 20 dollars would be fine. But in a way I am glad I don't. I don't smoke, and I don't drink (all the time).

I have seen the people that buys more junk than anything else and it makes me mad. I don't work but have 5 kids, my husband is the one that works and is just getting comfortable. But I hardly ever see him, he works tons of OT. My kids are actually getting new clothes for school this year. I never use my kids as an excuse for anything. I do get SSI for my son but I don't tell everyone why. I hate people that use there kids to get things and freebies, it just makes me sick.

I just registered my son for preschool and found out that they turned one single father and his daughter down for making $5.00 to much a year. It is instances like that that make me hate the system and want to get completely off of it but if that were to happen, we wouldn't make it. My hubby needs to work another year before he can fully sustain us on his pay alone.

I'm sorry. I get talking and I don't know when to stop.

Lace Neil Singer
07-15-2006, 07:17 PM
It's the few who abuse the system who make it hard for the many who need it.

I can understand how some of you feel when having to pay for food with food stamps; I went thru a similar thing when I'd just left college and had to go on the dole cuz I couldn't get a job. There were so many people who either treated me like poop when I was queuing up to cash my gyro, or who told me to my face that I was a scrounger, and why couldn't I just get a job and stop leaching off the government? :rolleyes: I went to thousands of job interviews before I finally struck lucky; I made my dole money last and I was working in a charity shop to get me out the house. How dare those people judge me and lump me in with all the real scroungers who do leach off the system? So I know how you feel.

(sorry, bit long)

Dreamstalker
07-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Exactly. Some people just can't cook. I had a roommate in college who couldn't boil water. I swear to god. She would buy nothing but those EASY MAC packages, and I told her, "Well you know the KD that you boil, etc, is cheaper."

I tried to teach her how to make Kraft Dinner... I showed her how to boil the water, add the macaroni, the butter, the milk, the sauce packet... She's just dumber than a bag of hammers.
:lol: That was the twit, all right.

She once came over for mac-n-cheese. Besides trying to turn the stove off just after I dumped the pasta in ("oh, it has to be done now!"), she got right in my way when I was trying to drain the pasta. Think holding a full pot of boiling water with just a dishtowel, and someone standing between you and the sink yakking as your skin exposed to the steam gets steadily hotter. Then when I finally shove her aside she shoves back, causing the pasta to go into the sink, boiling water on both hands, me swearing up a storm as I put my hands in the icemaker tub, and her whining about being hungry (er, I am injured and it's your fault).

I saw a scant few EBT people at the grocery store near campus who bought "sensible" stuff (veggies, meat, etc), but the majority bought a cartful of junk food--more than I could eat in a year. The scammers always used the self-checks and got belligerent when the cashier on duty called them on what they were doing (trying to sneak items that were not eligible).

Seanette
07-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Besides trying to turn the stove off just after I dumped the pasta in ("oh, it has to be done now!")
Veering off-topic for a moment, I've found that the easiest and most consistent way to cook pasta is to boil the water, add pasta, bring back to boil, then cover pan and turn off heat. 10-12 minutes later (depends on size/shape of pasta), there you are. :D

Lehk
07-15-2006, 09:42 PM
:lol: That was the twit, all right.

Then when I finally shove her aside she shoves back, causing the pasta to go into the sink, boiling water on both hands, me swearing up a storm as I put my hands in the icemaker tub, and her whining about being hungry (er, I am injured and it's your fault).

should have finished off the pot of boiling water on her head

Kiwi
07-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Its sad that the people who abuse the system are the ones who are noticed most.

Kind of like how you get a few employees who dont give a crap and it makes all customers think we are lazy stupid mules who "cant" get a better job...

or how one lousy customer can ruin your day...and eventually for some of us, sour our outlook on people in general (myself included)

jfreak125
07-29-2006, 03:44 AM
To be honest, I do have a (near) full time job, and yes, I do have ebt foodstamps. I will admit, i do occasionally buy a little junk food, but mostly I use mine for pastas, lunchmeats, and stuff so I can prepare meals at home, which is what it is truly intended for. There is the occasion where i will get a sub, or sushi, but that is once in a great while.... Everyone is entitled to a small treat once in a while... in the same respect. the only reason I use this is to ensure that there is enough food for my fiance' and I to have. I have gotten the looks, from people who think Im just a snob trying to abuse the system... but excuse me for taking a shower, shaving and making sure I look presentable before I show myself in public. What I hate is the fact that people scowl when you get on the bus with armloads of groceries.... sorry, Im not about to walk 2 miles carrying all that. It does sicken me when you see the obvious abusers... but I do understand those who need it.

laughingfuzzball
07-29-2006, 04:35 AM
The biggest problem I ever had with WIC was pepper jack cheese. It wasn't WIC-approved, because supposedly kids don't like spicy foods, and a lot of people didn't get the even though your kid loves it, WIC still won't let me sell it to you.

I do get a little peaved when I see people on such programs that obviously don't need it (you can afford a new car, fancy clothes, and all that jewelry, but not food?) when I know several people who need it but don't qualify.

Palsgraf
07-29-2006, 07:09 AM
I was waiting in line at the grocery store late one night when a customer ahead of me started arguing with the cashier about her not accepting his voucher for baby formula. The voucher was for one type, but the store didn't have any of that particular formula in stock, and the cashier (or the register!) wouldn't allow him to purchase a different formula with it.

I thought to myself, "If the store doesn't have what you need, go get it someplace else (and be glad you're getting something for free!)."

After he left, the customer immediately ahead of me was at the register. But instead of consoling the cashier or commenting on what a jerk the previous guy was, this second customer also starts arguing with her about how she should have let the first guy use the voucher anyway! I then saw him pay with an Illinois Link (EBT) card and I thought, "No wonder."

I agree that such benefits are necessary in most cases ... but in some cases it can create an I deserve it attitude which I believe prevents some individuals from getting out of their bad situation.

blas
07-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Is the pepperjack cheese being non-WIC approved something new? Granted, it's been a year and a half since I worked at the grocery store, and I can't recall ever having someone with a WIC order including pepperjack cheese............that sounds interesting. But then again, we had a yearly meeting with the WIC people and they'd tell us if they added items and if there was anything else to look for.

Anakah
09-20-2006, 08:16 PM
That makes me mad. I've been working my ass off for years and nothing ever got handed to me. Which I believe many of us feel the same. I once lived in the back of my fiance's grandparents van. Did we ever get any kind of help? No. Granted we don't have a child but I think people who are honestly trying and not just plopping out kids for the tax money or the free food should get help too.

I understand that people with a lot of children need help. And the ones who are making an honest effort to better their situation and not live off of what we earn should continue to benefit from the governments help. BUT The assholes who are mooching off of our hard earned money should just have their children taken away until they can get a job or go into detox to become a better person. Or rather the idiots I've seen shouldn't be allowed to have children and should be fixed.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anybody...

As for the card itself certain items should be limited. It should not be able to pay for cigarettes, lottery tickets or alcohol! Maybe they could just get food sent to their home. Have like a check list of what kind of food they like and have the sent to them in portions. And for the rest of it? GET A JOB.

But I do understand some people have disablilites and cannot get a job and such. I've been lucky my parents were able to provide for me and I've never been in proverty with them. But once leaving the nest, the money has pretty much gone to zero but I still managed and got back on my feet. With no help.

But anyway, there are always two stories to this and I'm just against the people who abuse our system. I'm sick of it.

To the people who are honestly trying: I wish you luck and I hope you are able to have things go your way. To the jerks abusing our system for their own sick needs: GET A FREAKING JOB like the rest of us!

LostMyMind
09-21-2006, 02:48 PM
The card is limited, you can only buy "non-hot" food (some states allow "hot" food from a deli).

Most people's complaint is lobster is consider food and can be bought with "food assistance". The problem is how do you tell if the person buying "expensive" food is on food stamp because they're lazy, having problem making ends meet (lost job or whatever), or can't work. The government don't make the distention.

Should the person on disability or Social Security (retired) be denied a occasional "treat"? We can't tell at the store why they're on assistance. Personally I think they should have separate cards for Social Securities (disability/retired) and those on "assistance" for financial reason. Then regulation of what can be bought by those on "assistance" can be done.