PDA

View Full Version : Do you REALLY know where you live?????

Racket_Man
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
GODS I hate snow storms more than ever. as most of you are now aware we in NE Wisconsin had a 6 hour blizzard last Thrusday. For about 2 or 3 hours the visibility was less than 30 feet (if that at times). snowing hard with winds clocking in at 30+MPH.

customer calls in a phone order. order taker repeats address of record back to dumbass. they verifies the address on record as the correct address.

I get the delivery as part of a triple run. I drop my first run and get to dumbass address 20 mintutes after I leave the store (no roads are plowed yet).

the house is dark and no vehicle is in the driveway. I carefully get out of my car and approach the door. I shine my Maglight on the door I see several "offical" looking documents attached to the door. something to the effect of a court ordered eviction. Great trudge back to my car and call the dumbass on my cell. Revelation upon revelation THEY HAVE MOVED about a mile away. let dumbass know how unhappy I am and proceed to take another 15 minutes to get to their location. I thank several dieties that the last of my triple run was only 1/4 away from them. at least they tipped well (as I guilt tripped them during the call)

how stupid/drunk/stoned do you have to be NOT to remember that you MOVED in the last couple of weeks via eviction??

and that set the tone for the night. in spite of a raging snow storm people were just NOT tipping. I had a 11 straight stiffs out of 23 deliveries. I know times are hard but come on........ (not to turn this into a tipping thread)

blas
03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I can't wrap my little head around psychotic outbreaks of mass pizza delivery orders when there's bad weather. I mean, all local Wal-Marts and grocery stores are ransacked anywhere from 1-2 days before bad weather is predicted to come. Is it possible that all that milk and bread just isn't enough?

Racket_Man
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I will tell you this for a fact at least here in NE Wis. where I know you are near:

2 rain drops fall the phone lights up for delivery

2 snowflakes fall the phone lights up for delivery

the temp drops below zero the phones light up for delivery

now mix in a "holiday" such as Valentines Day and you can imagine what it is like (nightmares are included)

blas
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Valentine's Day? Really? Well, I suppose some couples just figured they weren't going to spend hours waiting for a table anywhere that night. My boyfriend and I only waited at Olive Garden for about 15 minutes because there must have been a huge supper rush right at prime time and they all left at once. Our originally forecasted 45 minute wait was greatly reduced to 15.

I feel for ya though. But if you want any good news, in NW Wisconsin, last Thursday night, of all the times I went out for a smoke, I did not see even one car go by with a Dominos or Toppers magnet on the top of it.

But then again, I'd been at Wal-Mart earlier that day before the snow even started, and it was a madhouse.

Sliceanddice
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM

the temp drops below zero the phones light up for delivery

now mix in a "holiday" such as Valentines Day and you can imagine what it is like (nightmares are included)

its the same in arizona, they all turn in to pumpkins.
though you should add, if your boss fired one of his few CSRs and gave both AMs the night off and they are really call able and your down to 4 or 5 drivers about 1 or 2 less that bare minimum if you get a 100 deliver dinner, the phone lines will light up

Racket_Man
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
then there are the random weeknights where you just go

WTF

the phones light up and you get blasted out of your minds for no discrenable reason. no big event in town. no conventions. no contests or tourneyments. no sporting events, NOTHING

but the phones light up and you are on the go for 8 hours strsight

HawaiianShirts
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM

I've seen it here in Utah, too. I did pizza delivery for a few years. We'd have big snowstorms from time to time, and it seemed that all the people who weren't raiding the grocery stores (yes, they even do that in Utah where we're used to getting big snowstorms in winter) were ordering pizza instead.

I usually got decent tips, though they'd sometimes complain that it took longer than they wanted it to. I'd just point out that I hadn't been away from my car more than three minutes and would need to go brush piles of snow off of it again before I could leave their driveway. They'd then see just how much snow was on the road and sometimes marvel that my little sedan managed to plow down their street without getting stuck.

My favorite part about those nights was taking orders by phone. After the order was taken and verified and the caller's information was taken and verified, we'd have this exchange...
Me: And will this be for delivery or pick-up?
Customer: Oh, delivery, of course! Have you seen that snow? I'd have to be stupid to go driving in that!
Me: Not to worry, Customer. We're stupid enough to do just that. Your total is $xx.xx, and it will be there in about xx minutes. Have a good evening! *click*

AriRashkae
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
then there are the random weeknights where you just go

WTF

the phones light up and you get blasted out of your minds for no discrenable reason. no big event in town. no conventions. no contests or tourneyments. no sporting events, NOTHING

but the phones light up and you are on the go for 8 hours strsight

If you ever needed proof of a Collective Unconscious.... :lol:

Bramblerose
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
the classic snow pizza (ice, actually)

A friend was delivering for the Noid. She got a call to a sorority house. The argh bit was the girls divvied up teh pie and paid by teh slice- so there was a check for like $.60 for a slice or two of pizza.

But that was made up for by the girl who came downstairs in curlers, a robe, and high heels.

PepperElf
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
wait... they got evicted (i'm assuming over rent? or whatever)
yet they can still afford pizza and drugs
ding ding ding we have a winner.

I can't wrap my little head around psychotic outbreaks of mass pizza delivery orders when there's bad weather.i'm guilty of that.... but i... well i always tip, but they get extra when it's horrible weather.

Becks
03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks, R_M.

I want pizza and I'm not in your delivery area. :cry:

I hope you're happy.

And I tip well, too.

sms001
03-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Valentine's Day? Really?

It is literally the biggest day of the year at my local pizza joint. And who says North Woodsers aren't romantic? :)

I hear you Racket Man - I know a few of the drivers for the place above and they were swamped. Took the county decreeing the roads CLOSED to stop the boss man from sending them out. :(

Pagan
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Around here people, for some reason, all feel the need to go get in their cars and get out on the road when we get either of these. Although, since we haven't had any appreciable rain since mid-December....

Reminds me that soon, probably today, I'll hear the whining of newly moved here folks of how baaaad the wind is. We're supposed to have sustained @30mph with gusts to 50mph. As far as we natives are concerned, as long as you can still see the mountains, it ain't windy! :lol:

Racket_Man
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks, R_M.

I want pizza and I'm not in your delivery area. :cry:

I hope you're happy.

And I tip well, too.

sorry

It is literally the biggest day of the year at my local pizza joint. And who says North Woodsers aren't romantic? :)

I hear you Racket Man - I know a few of the drivers for the place above and they were swamped. Took the county decreeing the roads CLOSED to stop the boss man from sending them out. :(

we got blasted on V Day. running a 2 hour delivery and did record sales on top. I was only scheduled for a 2 1/2 hour shift but ended up working like 6

Oh and Pagan even 30MPH or better winds around here are is not the end of the world. maybe combining that with snow or rain might make a difference but not much

draftermatt
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I

I try not to call in when the weather is bad, but I did this past year.

The Ravens were in the playoffs (the Packers were not so I could watch and not feel guilty) and we were redoing our living room before the game started.

We ended up forgetting about food until the game had started so I called Domino's.

I hope I saved myself by 1. Apologizing for being too lazy to cook 2. Tipping 35% 3. Inviting driver in to watch the game for a few minutes.

He declined, but since then I always seem to get my pizza really quick when I call in.

CoffeeMonkey
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
It was during a blizzard the last time I ordered a pizza delivered. I felt kind of bad, but I'd just worked all day, was in NO mood to cook, and had fought the roads coming home. (Fortunately my commute is VERY short and non-hazardous.) The delivery dude appeared to be quite the sad panda as he came to my door.

He'd also left my credit slip for signing at the place, but that was only a small hiccup in the process. I took my pizza inside to set it on a table and then had to chase him a bit for his tip. He seemed pleasantly shocked at the ten I handed him for a $17 order. It was close to Christmas and the weather was atrocious. I hope it made his night.

Bosch
03-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Or you have a boyfriend who's birthday is V-day and has long since gotten sick and tired of waiting for a table and being hassled about being a V-day baby, so chillin' at home with good hockey game, pizza and his favorite Granville Island beer(maple cream ale) with me(who doesn't care about a fancy V-day) is a good birthday/V-day for him :)

Can I Help Your A$$?
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Guilty.

Of course, we had no car, and the nearest store was 6 blocks away, and we had nothing to eat, and it was windchill 40 below. I mean, it sucks, and we felt bad and tipped well. I just didn't want to venture out into the ice planet hoth. At least the guy had a warm car, and little traffic, and, it being Montreal, nobody gives a damn how icy it is, they're used to it.

Pagan
03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Oh and Pagan even 30MPH or better winds around here are is not the end of the world. maybe combining that with snow or rain might make a difference but not much

Heh, it was warm enough yesterday that we had quite the sandstorm. Often they have to close I-10 between Deming and Lordsburg (oh, my Goddess, is that a desolate stretch of road) because of zero visibility from blowing sand.

And, depending where you are, there's usually some smoke mixed in as there's usually a fire somewhere in the state.

Becks
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
sorry

Just remember, I know where you work.

:angel:

sms001
03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
To all those apologizing for ordering in inclement weather.

I can't speak for R_M, but I have done delivery several times over the years and gotta say - that's what it's FOR.

Yeah, it is nice to tool around in the warmth of an early summer evening with the wind on your face and the cut grass smell. But the money is when you are hustling from house to house. Which only happens when people don't want to do that lovely driving themselves. :)

So if you're reluctant to order in 'cause YOU wouldn't want to go out 'in it' don't forget that the driver is going out in it anyway - it'd be nice if he could do an occasional delivery to someone who isn't a SC.

MergedLoki
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
If you cant afford a tip you can't afford something to be delivered. Pick it up yourself. And if you dont have the money to tip you can't eat out at a restaurant or get drinks at a bar or whatever.

Now I dont tip because I feel I have to. I tip because I want to, there are times I've left no tip for people but ONLY when the service I got was so awful that it was flat out not warrented (most recent example was about a year go me and a friend went for breakfast, there were 3 people in this little diner. myself, my friend, and an old man drinking coffee and reading the paper.)

one waitress (but thats fine there was only 3 customers). She finally took our drink orders after roughly 15 minutes of us watching her chat with the person doing cash. Acted like serving us was the most difficult and aggravating thing in the world and after we got our drinks we sat for roughly 30 min before she decided to make an appearance to take our food orders. (i've had this same server before and it's been similar service all the time so this wasn't a 1 time incident).

so consequently she got no tip. However If i get even regular service (not exceptional just what one expects at a restaurant/diner/whatever) i'll tip on average 15 - 20 % (more if I get amazing service because, well.. they've earned it).

Racket_Man
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
To all those apologizing for ordering in inclement weather.

I can't speak for R_M, but I have done delivery several times over the years and gotta say - that's what it's FOR.

Yeah, it is nice to tool around in the warmth of an early summer evening with the wind on your face and the cut grass smell. But the money is when you are hustling from house to house. Which only happens when people don't want to do that lovely driving themselves. :)

So if you're reluctant to order in 'cause YOU wouldn't want to go out 'in it' don't forget that the driver is going out in it anyway - it'd be nice if he could do an occasional delivery to someone who isn't a SC.

SMS sorry did not see your reply until this thread got bumped.

I do not mind delivering in really bad weather. I really don't. I am a good enough driver and I know my limits.

what gets me is the fact that people are NOT grateful for having their nice cheesey goodness delivered in a blinding snow storm. OH yes they give me that great one line verbal tip like: Oh be careful out there" as they give me 25 cents on a $40 order OR "OH Stay warm " (as they straight stiff me on a $30 order OR the classic "OH HAVE A NICE NIGHT": as they straight stiff me (yeah right I will tell that to my landlord or the gas company or the phone company or my insurance company when I write them a check for 400 "HAVE A GOOD NIGHT"s to try and pay my bills.

I do like my job. and yes I worked white collar professional jobs for many a year but gave that up just for the shear stupidity of the corp office setting.

EricKei
08-06-2009, 12:45 PM
The weird thing is, we always had the *opposite* happen down heah in tha Deep Sayouth, where snow is all but a legend...When the heavens would open up and torrents of rain would cascade down upon us, INSIDE business would skyrocket. Literally, as in 1 walk-in every 4 hours to 4 orders every half an hour. It was nuts >_<

LillFilly
08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
It's sad you still have to go out in weather like that. Maybe someday delivery places will have a policy of no delivery in weather that could impact the safety of its drivers.

sms001
08-07-2009, 01:35 AM
It's sad you still have to go out in weather like that. Maybe someday delivery places will have a policy of no delivery in weather that could impact the safety of its drivers.

Well....

ALL driving impacts the safety of the drivers. The big difference is that we are professional drivers who know where we are going and how to get there safely.

I totally understood that people didn't want to go out and get food in weather I considered an inconvenience at worst. I was happy to do it for them and was good at it. Heck, I've been PO'd when management DID shut down deliveries for inclement - it's often when you can make some serious cash.

I've never had a weather related accident in my life and probably never will.
(oops - I take that back. Dale Hock rear ended me on an ice covered road in '76, and it was my fault - I'd left enough distance to stop myself from hitting the car in front of me, but not enough to move up after.)