PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu and pigheadedness

edible_hat
06-15-2009, 12:58 AM
SC: I've got a sniffle, do you have that Tamiflu stuff?
Me: No, you'll need to go to a pharmacist.
SC: Not even one packet out the back?
Me: No.

Your average convenience store does not and cannot sell prescription only medication.

SC (pays for something or other): $2.50 for that? I'm not paying that! I want my money back!
Me: (takes item, gives back money)
SC: And don't get smart with me!

WTF? I didn't say a thing. And $2.50 is the cheapest convenience store price in the area (we sent out spies to the other stores).

raw456
06-15-2009, 01:26 AM
WTF? It's a convenience store people! You pay more "for the convenience of it"

Regarding the "swine flu" = I was in my local pharmacy purchasing cold/flu paraphanalia the woman in front of me was wearing alot of perfume, I inhaled some and sneezed (as you would) the woman behind me gasps (literally) and as i turn around she is giving my a warding sign with her hands and screams "Swine Flu! Get away from me!" and runs out of the store. Go figure :p

magician5
06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Way back during the early 1980s (when the disease was big news) I lived in a high-rise, and going up in the elevator I saw one of the kookier residents pushing the elevator button with his elbow.

I couldn't keep my mouth shut ... "Is everything alright?"

He rolled his eyes and said "Haven't you heard? AIDS!!!"

fireheart
06-15-2009, 02:04 AM
People are just plain dumb :confused:

Honestly...who expects a SERVO to carry prescription medication?! ALthough maybe she was convinced that we lowly retail peons are hoarding it for ourselves (or get it free) so that even when we get zombies, we can still sell them quality goods :p

Rubystars
06-15-2009, 02:52 AM
I don't know why they would immediately want Tamiflu. Most of the people that are sick around here just have allergies. If you have the flu, you'll generally know you have the flu.

radiocerk
06-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Because Tamiflu is only really effective if you take it within the first day or two of showing symptoms. After that, you've pretty much got the flu, and good luck with that. I'm not completely convinced that it works if you do take it within a day or two.

I think it's the latest version of taking antibiotics for the sniffles. I go to work, and take my chances. Although, I do think the major pharmacies were stockpiling a small quantity of Tamiflu for their employees, so that we could continue being health care providers. If all the pharmacists get sick, no pharmacies, after all.

Hobbs
06-15-2009, 05:13 AM

me: Sorry, sir...too late :D :lol:

Pagan
06-15-2009, 06:29 AM
SC: I've got a sniffle, do you have that Tamiflu stuff?
Me: No, you'll need to go to a pharmacist.

Not to mention that here, you need a prescription from a doctor.

In the typical fashion of people hearing what they want to hear, we had people here toddling to the pharmacy because they heard the that the CDC had taken Tamiflu off prescription and they wanted some.

What actually had happened was that the CDC was recommending more doses be released. Add to that that the CDC can't take something off prescription, that's the FDA.

Regarding the "swine flu" = I was in my local pharmacy purchasing cold/flu paraphanalia the woman in front of me was wearing alot of perfume, I inhaled some and sneezed (as you would) the woman behind me gasps (literally) and as i turn around she is giving my a warding sign with her hands and screams "Swine Flu! Get away from me!" and runs out of the store. Go figure :p

Well, alrighty then! :lol:

I don't know why they would immediately want Tamiflu. Most of the people that are sick around here just have allergies. If you have the flu, you'll generally know you have the flu.

You figured this out, too, huh? I had quite a few people fish-eyeing me. I'm having a lot of trouble this year. I'm sneezing, coughing, my nose is running, and my eyes itch (to the point that I scratched one of my eyes raw).

smileyeagle1021
06-15-2009, 06:59 AM
He rolled his eyes and said "Haven't you heard? AIDS!!!"

that reminds me of one of my coworkers who refused to ever clean up blood because she might get AIDS from it... apparently just being in a room with infected blood will get you sick now, gloves and mask etc will do nothing to protect you :rolleyes:

Kaylyn
06-15-2009, 07:06 AM
I just got over the flu. I know it was the flu. No "sniffles" about it. I had a sore throat for a week before the big flu symptoms started, then nasty fever, fatigue, and horrible congestion and drippage to the point I rubbed my nose raw and scabby. Thought I was better, then it relapsed the following week. I'm still dealing with residual bronchitis and coughing from it.

Was it swine flu? Who knows? I didn't go to the doctor, mainly because I have a head on my shoulders and know the swine flu is statistically less deadly than the regular flu, and I haven't died from it yet, either. I did stay away from the paper mill during the worst of the illness because they would have just kicked me out anyway because they're paranoid. But I'm mostly better now, though considering going to the doctor for something to take care of the bronchitis.

blas
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh wow...I haven't heard of the swine flu in a few weeks! Wow!

Come to think of it, I miss seeing some of the local whackjobs and their facial masks strolling about town, especially at the video store....clutching movies in their bare hands that thousands of other people have touched.....opening doors that thousands of people have touched......oh that was such a laugh a month or two ago...such a laugh.....

No one makes me laugh anymore :(

Slytovhand
06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
and know the swine flu is statistically less deadly than the regular flu,

Really, I hadn't heard that! I did think that, since Victoria has over 1000 reported cases, and none of them have died yet, that surely an intelligent person could conclude it's not really that bad a thing??

Now - the Spanish flu..!! That's something to get worked up about! (well, it was).

Surely, any of these Tamiflu type things won't do a thing anyway? If you've got yourself a virus, then you've got the virus - end of story. Best you can do is not pass it on to someone else...

Rubystars
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
that reminds me of one of my coworkers who refused to ever clean up blood because she might get AIDS from it... apparently just being in a room with infected blood will get you sick now, gloves and mask etc will do nothing to protect you :rolleyes:

I don't clean blood because I don't get paid enough to work with body fluids. I will mop pee off the floor but I don't clean feces or blood.

Andara Bledin
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
You figured this out, too, huh? I had quite a few people fish-eyeing me. I'm having a lot of trouble this year. I'm sneezing, coughing, my nose is running, and my eyes itch (to the point that I scratched one of my eyes raw).
I'll tell you the same thing I tell others with allergy problems: HAS (http://www.naturesway.com/?pid=72). Unless you're allergic to something in it, the stuff works great.
I had a sore throat for a week before the big flu symptoms started, then nasty fever, fatigue, and horrible congestion and drippage to the point I rubbed my nose raw and scabby.
It's the fatigue that's always a dead giveaway. I've never had anything else that's felt "flu-like." Even when I had mono as a kid, I wasn't fatigued, just miserable.

Me, I just spend a day in bed at the first sign I've got the flu, and I'm almost always right as rain the next. If I don't spend that first day in bed, though, I'm usually miserable for a week.
Come to think of it, I miss seeing some of the local whackjobs and their facial masks strolling about town, especially at the video store....clutching movies in their bare hands that thousands of other people have touched.....opening doors that thousands of people have touched......oh that was such a laugh a month or two ago...such a laugh.....
Or how about paper bills? The filthiest thing that people come into contact on a daily basis, and most never consider as a vector for disease.

^-.-^

crazylegs
06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Really, I hadn't heard that! I did think that, since Victoria has over 1000 reported cases, and none of them have died yet, that surely an intelligent person could conclude it's not really that bad a thing??

Yer, with the figures that the BBC provided for cases/deaths the other day I worked out it has a 0.47% mortality rate worldwide.

Regular 'flu has a 1% mortality rate.

jedimaster91
06-15-2009, 11:39 PM

Generic Chlortabs work well for me. And you don't have to get them at the pharmacy counter. Although, one pill tends to knock me out, so I usually take them at night.

Drixoral was the best thing for allergies I've ever had. Unfortunately, it's off the market right now. :(

Hyndis
06-16-2009, 03:28 AM
I had the swine flu a while back.

It was the sniffles for a week, then I got better.:p

I live pretty much right next to patient zero in the US. Ohnoes, I got a summer flu that was even more mild than the regular flu, then got better in a week by drinking orange juice and taking day/ny-quil.

Some epidemic! With all of these news headlines you'd think they were roving hordes of zombies. :rolleyes:

Argus
06-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Some epidemic! With all of these news headlines you'd think they were roving hordes of zombies. :rolleyes:

No, the article about the H1Z1 mutation was a parody (and is no longer at http://bouncewith.me.uk/europe/8027043.htm ).

AccountingDrone
06-16-2009, 04:32 AM
I have had one or another influenza 3 times in my life ... and believe me it isnt a sore throat and sniffles and bob's your uncle the next day .... unless it is damn near subclinical. As my doctor puts it, if you see a $100 bill on the floor on the other side of the room and you can even consider getting out of bed and picking it up, it probably isnt the flu .... it is seriously debilitating. I know I had to have help getting out of bed just to pee, and I had to be fed for the first few days after it hit. I couldnt even hold a sall glass of water and drink out of it. I had mono for 3 months and felt healthy compared to the flu. I was on chemo and felt just skippy compared to the flu ...

raw456
06-16-2009, 05:01 AM
I got a bout of one of the fairly bad influenza bugs about 6 years ago. After not being able to get out of bed for 3 days (without passing out) I had to call my mum to come pick me up and take me home. I spent the next 10 days barely concious.

Not fun :(

Every "flu" I've hand since has just been a really bad cold

Difdi
06-16-2009, 08:50 AM

...Apparently, his IQ is so low, he feels threatened by yours when you're simply standing there silently... :devil:

Pagan
06-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Not to mention that the people that have died had another underlying health problem to beging with.

And about "intelligent" people, you have to remember that we're dealing with sheeple here. :p

Surely, any of these Tamiflu type things won't do a thing anyway? If you've got yourself a virus, then you've got the virus - end of story. Best you can do is not pass it on to someone else...

Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) is an antiviral, but to be effective, it needs to be taken within the first 48 hours of onset of symptoms. And it can be used as a prophylactic, which is why I suspect so many were coming in trying to get it.

Generic Chlortabs work well for me. And you don't have to get them at the pharmacy counter. Although, one pill tends to knock me out, so I usually take them at night.

That's why I usually don't take anything during the day. I had to break down and take some loratadine at work the other day. It wasn't bad, but I wanted to really take a nap.

Actifed used to work really good (same sleepy problem), but it's been reformulated and doesn't work as good anymore.

Allavert will work if I don't wait too long to take it.

Supertech
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
You should have sold them some cheapy nurofen and told them it's a pack of Tamiflu suppositories that they need to shove up their a**** three times a day and laugh all day thinking about it.............:devil:

Broomjockey
06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
that reminds me of one of my coworkers who refused to ever clean up blood because she might get AIDS from it...

Well, in many places, it's actually classified as hazardous waste, and therefore illegal to clean up unless you have the proper training, equipment provided or not. Especially since if you make the mistake of getting some on the glove, then wipe off your forehead, and some runs in to your eye or mouth. Slightly paranoid? Maybe. Bad idea? I'd refuse to clean up any sizeable mess of blood as well.