PDA

View Full Version : You know you're getting old when...

Bunny the Veggie Slayer
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
1: You say "What are they teaching kids in school these days?"

A new girl started working with us a few weeks ago. Nearly 18yo bubbly and friendly with customers and seemed pretty smart... Until yeterday.

She came up to me with something in a bag.
Young'un : "Bunny, someone left this at the till. I don't know what it is or where we keep it."

I looked in the bag.

=80 : "You're telling me that you've never seen a cauliflower before? Seriously?"

I've decided that for the rest of the week (or longer if I can get the mileage) I'm going to go up to her every shift with a different piece of fruit or veg.

"This is a carrot. CAR-ROT."
"This is a Potato. PO-TA-TO" :devil:

2: You make a pop culture reference they could never get.

At my last store, one of the girls at work was talking about this new chocolate desert we had in, and how it was playing merry hell with her diet. I made some comment about this making her my "chocolate girl" and getting a totally blank look from her.

One of my supervisors was there "Bunny she'll never have heard of that song she's too young."

I said that was a load of rubbish and did some quick maths in my head. That song came out when I was around 13-14...

She would have been 2yo tops.

That was also the first time I ever felt like a dirty old man.

It shouldn't
07-07-2009, 06:27 PM
......when you put the hedge clippers in a "safe" place but then can't remember where the safe place is.
So you finally purchase a new pair.
Guess what you find when you go to put the new ones away in a 'safe' place?

Or the classic.......
looking high and low for the reading glasses until someone points them out on top of your head.

:whistle:

Argabarga
07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Or you walk into a room and suddenly can't remember why you were in there?

Bunny the Veggie Slayer
07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I once spent 20 minutes looking for my glasses...

I was wearing them.

What's worse is my prescription is more than +8 diopters for each eye. I literally can't see my hand in front of my face if I'm not wearing them

Pagan
07-07-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with CRS - Can't Remember Shit! :lol:

Lil Bunny
07-07-2009, 07:42 PM
This Bunny was on her cell phone the other day yacking to my friend as I was getting ready to leave work.

I ended up tearing my purse apart, emptying my lunch bag and even rechecking my desk when my boss finally asked me "What the heck are you doing??"

"Looking for my cell obviously"

Both him and my friend started laughing unmercifully. It literally took me 30 seconds to realize why.

*headdesk*

Oh and explaining Ozzy to someone? That was a fun convo.

fireheart
07-07-2009, 11:05 PM
In regards to the first story, one of our coworkers when he first started didn't know what a lime was :eek:
Aaaand I am so glad that we get tested weekly on various produce. (we get the obscure and the not-so-obscure)

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I say you know you're old when you think "Time For Me To Fly" is a song by REO Speedwagon and not the Jonas Brothers.

JoitheArtist
07-08-2009, 05:26 AM
I never believed my parents when they said they had trouble remembering their age, and had to calculate forward from their birthdates.

Until I turned 22, and couldn't remember either!

This year I'm...um...let's see, 1982...27!

*facepalm*

eta: and no, i'm not silly enough to think that 27 is old. I just *feel* old sometimes.

Food Lady
07-08-2009, 06:00 AM
In regards to the first story, one of our coworkers when he first started didn't know what a lime was :eek: Aaaand I am so glad that we get tested weekly on various produce. (we get the obscure and the not-so-obscure) Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are. But I have to admit I didn't know what they were until a couple of months ago.

fireheart
07-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are. But I have to admit I didn't know what they were until a couple of months ago.

That is all kinds of fail :doh:

Hasn't she heard all the puns with leeks? (i.e. "Did you spring a leak?")

Actually, what I have found is that the things we all have the most trouble with are the most common as well...grapes, apples and lettuce.

bunnyboy
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
And yet a couple more pop-cultural references that prove you're too old to be trusted...

You know the songs, Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)... and know who they were done by (hint it wasn't Marilyn Manson.)

You get most of the pop cultural Jokes on Family Guy, not becuase they're wacky and random... but because you saw them the first time around.

When VH1's I love the (insert anything but 90's here) makes you yearn for the days of things like Roos, TMNT, Thundercats, and G.I. Joe (COOOOOOOBRA!), in their original formats. (yes formats, two were comic books as well. ;))

You know that Cat with Catsup is a Melmakian delicacy.

you laughed at Cartoon All Stars... when it was on TV...

uhm... you remember Bush being president....the one that drove Iraq from Kuwait, not the one that went into Iraq...or even better remember him as VP...and get out your cane if you remember him as the CIA director.

you can complete the following jingle... A sprinkle a day helps...

you remember SNL when it was Funny... and MAD TV when it was In Living Color...

and to top it all off you know what I'm talking about when I say, CLarissa Explains it All, Ren and Stimpy, Roundhouse and finally.... Are you afraid of the dark.

*sighs* and as for not knowing pop culture and being complete morons go...

Two jobs ago (security for a distribution center) I had someone on both shifts I was on who was a) older than me and b) was there almost the same amount of time who knew none of those things, and was like having someone who was constantly in training unless you put him on the right job.

Yet he still beat the guy who got fired in one month when I had to take over the shift he was on as Supe.... maybe I'll tell that story some other time.

Fire_on_High
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are.http://www.othercreatures.net/images/HatsuneMiku.jpg

fireheart
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
And yet a couple more pop-cultural references that prove you're too old to be trusted...

You know the songs, Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)... and know who they were done by (hint it wasn't Marilyn Manson.)

I know the last two, can't remember who sings Tainted Love, but I remember that Sweet Dreams was done by The Eurhythmics. And I'm only 18 :D

Does that make me old? :headscratch:

LibraryLady
07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
There are lots of ways to know you're getting old.

You're getting old when:

A spirited Watusi and Frug at a block party makes you roll out of bed in agony the next morning and has you hobbling around for a week.

In the 1980s, you hear a young woman at a bus stop say to her friend, "I just found out the neatest thing. Did you know that Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings?"

Your co-workers know the Muppets only from Sesame Street and the Muppet Show. They ask you if the Muppets were ever on SNL? Yes, they were but they were never called the Muppets. The segment was called "Dregs and Vestiges" and only lasted for about 10 weeks. Oh, the colors and the lights!

You look at an historical series of books for children. The blanket title is, "If You Lived in the Times of (fill in the blank)". Most of these books deal with historical figures such as Elizabeth I, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and the like. I got a real shock when I saw the title devoted to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Shoot! I heard Dr. King speak at my college and it was in an intimate student lounge setting. To me, his life and death remain current events. I shook the man's hand and poured him a cup of tea.

Perhaps my Mom said it best. She said that you know you're getting old when your Doctors start dying.

Andara Bledin
07-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I know the last two, can't remember who sings Tainted Love, but I remember that Sweet Dreams was done by The Eurhythmics.
Tainted Love is by Soft Cell, and Personal Jesus is by Depeche Mode.

I make 80's cultural references all the time, and half of my co-workers just look at me blankly. *sigh*

You know you're getting old when....
... the fashions that were in style when you were in high school are making a come-back.

^-.-^

dalesys
07-09-2009, 02:08 AM
You know you're getting old...

When banned songs from your youth are elevator Muzak.:cry:

Pagan
07-09-2009, 04:33 PM
you can complete the following jingle... A sprinkle a day helps...

<singing> Keeps the odor away. Have you had your sprinkle today?

you remember SNL when it was Funny... and MAD TV when it was In Living Color...

Candygram

Perhaps my Mom said it best. She said that you know you're getting old when your Doctors start dying.

But one of mine died when I was in my early 20's?

Tainted Love is by Soft Cell,

The most well known version. The original was by Gloria Jones in 1964....I've heard it somewhere. Doesn't really sound too much different.

I make 80's cultural references all the time, and half of my co-workers just look at me blankly. *sigh*

... the fashions that were in style when you were in high school are making a come-back.

^-.-^

Tell me about it! My pharmacy manager gets the references, but she's 3 months younger than me.

I remember wearing leggings under skirts in high school....now, I find myself wondering why we thought that looked good. :eek:

One of the girls at work is having an 80's party....only 3 of us actually lived through the styles. The others have been asking us all kinds of questions. :rolleyes:

dendawg
07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.othercreatures.net/images/HatsuneMiku.jpg

http://www.100megsfree4.com/looneyviews/morepics/wtf_cat.bmp

sms001
07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
WTF?!?!

Leek Girl.

When banned songs from your youth are elevator Muzak.:cry:

Or songs about heroin are promoting cruise lines.....

You know the songs, Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, and Sweet Dreams ....
and to top it all off Ren and Stimpy....

And have them on your MP3 player by those artists.

I miss Ren and Stimpy. Pinky and the Brain too (although much later.)

And my addendum.

YKYGOW:

You start to make sounds getting in and out of the car.

Songs by artists whose first tour you went to are now 'classics.'

Munkie
07-10-2009, 02:54 AM
My dad and are always competing in music. We're the audiophiles in the family.

However, telling someone that Akon was *not* the first person to record "Mr. Lonely" will get you blank looks. Bobby Vinton wrote it in the 60s.

"Sukiyaki" was NOT an original by 4 P.M; it was a number 1 in 1963 in Japan by an artist named Kyu Sakimoto...

and people look at you funny when you randomly burst into song in a store because they happen to be playing a original performance of a song (artist doesn't matter, because you know they're thinking "freak!" :roll: ) that was recorded long before anyone else remembers.

Then again, when I start humming "In The Mood" people ask what I'm singing - and mentioning The Glenn Miller Band gets even *odder* looks than singing in a store. (Bonus points if you can name the years the GMB was popular...)

Geek King
07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Then again, when I start humming "In The Mood" people ask what I'm singing - and mentioning The Glenn Miller Band gets even *odder* looks than singing in a store. (Bonus points if you can name the years the GMB was popular...)

I have the GMB version of the Anvil Chorus on rotation. :D

Racket_Man
07-10-2009, 03:16 PM

the 1930's and into WWII when he died in a plane crash over the English Channel.

My mom and dad were from that era and I kinda like that type of music. Glen Miller, Benny Goodman (I want to find Live at Carnegie Hall) , the Dorseys, the Mills Brothers, etc. inherited enough vynal (sp) LP records from that era. gotta love that big band/swing music.

anyone remember Mitch Miller????? Jerry Lee Lewis???? Bobby Daren??????

and remembering when punched cards were the "HEIGHT" of high tech. when the IBM 360/370 series was da bomb.

Tang (is that even still around??) was the astronauts drink of choise

Pagan
07-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Rick Springfield is going to be 60 this year and Billy Idol is 53....and just about nobody under 25 knows who they are. Which is why I carry a Billy Idol CD with me when I get my hair cut.

Tang (is that even still around??) was the astronauts drink of choise

Yep, sure is. Since I can't drink orange juice from concentrate* anymore, that's the only way I can get orange-y goodness.

*Fresh squeezed is, honestly, too expensive to buy and too much work to do my own.

marlovino
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
<.<

>.>

I dare anyone to finish these lyrics from a 70's to early 80's saturday morning ritual.

Conjunction junction.........

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly.........

I'm just a bill......

:D

P.S. I bet you can't get the songs out of your head.

JoitheArtist
07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
anyone remember Jerry Lee Lewis????

Oh baby, you knooooow what I like! (Name that song for bonus points and yes I realize that even for him it was a cover but I don't CARE because he was awesome)

Beckduer
07-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh baby, you knooooow what I like! (Name that song for bonus points and yes I realize that even for him it was a cover but I don't CARE because he was awesome)

Isn't it "Chantilly Lace", originally sung by The Big Bopper?

JoitheArtist
07-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Isn't it "Chantilly Lace", originally sung by The Big Bopper?

That's the one! LOVE Jerry Lee Lewis' cover of it.

I'm actually listening to Great Balls of Fire right now....soooooooooo good! http://tinysong.com/fJn

And for a real treat: Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins singing Blue Suede Shoes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1Y1ekHhF8

mharbourgirl
07-10-2009, 10:31 PM
uhm... you remember Bush being president....the one that drove Iraq from Kuwait, not the one that went into Iraq...or even better remember him as VP...and get out your cane if you remember him as the CIA director.

:o Dude, I remember when NIXON was president. I remember the gas crisis, too, and I wasn't near old enough to drive at that time. And who could forget the peanut farmer from Georgia? And I'm not even American, oy.

I know the last two, can't remember who sings Tainted Love, but I remember that Sweet Dreams was done by The Eurhythmics. And I'm only 18 :D

Nahhhh... just means you have good taste in music. :D

AccountingDrone
07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
<.<

>.>

I dare anyone to finish these lyrics from a 70's to early 80's saturday morning ritual.

P.S. I bet you can't get the songs out of your head.
Curse you !!!!

Do I need to admit I have all of the damned schoolhouse rockshows on dvd ?
:o

Look ... 30th anniversary edition dvd ... (http://www.amazon.com/Schoolhouse-Rock-Special-30th-Anniversary/dp/B00005JKTY)

EricKei
07-10-2009, 10:58 PM

Conjunction junction.........that's my fuuuunction.

Lolly (no idea)

I'm just a bill...... (I remember it but not the next bit)

The sad thing is, I have the Schoolhouse Rock DVD's, too....

and to top it all off you know what I'm talking about when I say, CLarissa Explains it All, Ren and Stimpy, Roundhouse and finally.... Are you afraid of the dark.I'll see your AYAOTD and raise you UFO Kidnapped, The Third Eye, and You Can't Do That on Television.

Pagan
07-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I always felt sorry for that Bill sittin' on Capitol Hill! :lol:

I noticed that they're bringing back the Electric Company, but it doesn't look like it's going to be as good as the one back in the 70's.

And who remembers Captain Kangaroo? Or the New Zoo Revue? :D

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-10-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm just a bill, something something Capitol Hill...:D

I noticed that they're bringing back the Electric Company, but it doesn't look like it's going to be as good as the one back in the 70's

HAY YOOOUUUUUU GUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSS!

Andara Bledin
07-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Conjunction junction.........that's my fuuuunction.
... what's my function?
Lolly (no idea)
Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, get your adverbs here.

and I'm just a Bill, only a Bill, sittin' up on Capitol Hill.

I'll see your AYAOTD and raise you UFO Kidnapped, The Third Eye, and You Can't Do That on Television.
Well.... I don't know....;)

^-.-^

Jack T. Chance
07-11-2009, 12:17 AM
You know you're getting old when...

...you're listening to the radio and you hear one of your favorite songs from when you were in high school... and then you realize it's on the CLASSIC ROCK station! :cry:

It's bad enough for me, being in my mid-30s, but one of my buddies had this happen to him when he was in his early 20s. :eek:

sms001
07-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Curse you !!!!
Do I need to admit I have all of the damned schoolhouse rockshows on dvd ?

Got it for my wife for Christmas two years ago. We watched until we were crying with laughter. Haul it out every now and then for a nostalgia break.

l... and then you realize it's on the CLASSIC ROCK station!
but one of my buddies had this happen to him when he was in his early 20s. :eek:

Yeah, my reference was particular to U2 - and it was my early twenties also. :( ('course, when a band goes from 'Boy' to 'The Unforgettable Fire' in five years, there's bound to be some instant "way back when" involved.)

fireheart
07-11-2009, 01:00 AM
"Sukiyaki" was NOT an original by 4 P.M; it was a number 1 in 1963 in Japan by an artist named Kyu Sakimoto...

I heard a song dunno if it was the same title by Morning Musume (Japanese idol group). :p

Nahhhh... just means you have good taste in music. :D

Yay! :D

simplyanother
07-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Yeah, my reference was particular to U2 - and it was my early twenties also. :( ('course, when a band goes from 'Boy' to 'The Unforgettable Fire' in five years, there's bound to be some instant "way back when" involved.)

I heart U2. So much so that I make my kids listen to 'em (and they sing along, and for the record, Boy came out when I was all of 2. It does trip me up when I hear them on the classic rock station, because their stuff doesn't feel the same age as some of the other stuff that came out at the same time as those albums--to me, at least. But I'm a complete and total dork, so there is that)

Because, in the car, I control the music.

Awhile ago I was listening to a teenage boy talk about this old (his words) band he'd just discovered-- It was freakin Nirvana. That was a bit surreal.

I've met grown folks who have never heard of the Beatles. Not that they don't like their music, or have little exposure, but have never ever heard of them. Ever. Folks who, by all rights, should have at least HEARD of 'em.

Granted, this past week has proved interesting, with my own kid--who doesn't really know who Michael Jackson was... but my kid is 9. He does know who Freddie Mercury was...so, there is that.

My older kid and his uncle can bond over Pokemon, and the Power Rangers, heh.

Munkie
07-11-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm just a bill, something something Capitol Hill...:D

OMG That's Garfield and Friends!!

Binky the Clown!!!

O_o;; Every year on Hallowe'en, my family gets together and watches A Garfield Hallowe'en. And on Christmas, we get together and watch A Garfield Christmas, Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas, and A Muppet's Christmas Carol.

We love them to bits, it's our tradition.

simplyanother
07-11-2009, 03:17 AM
It's not from The Goonies? (or a million other places?)

EricKei
07-11-2009, 03:18 AM

Binky the Clown!!!
Electric Company did it first ^_^ But yeah, good ol' Binky. I liked him

dendawg
07-11-2009, 04:26 AM

Binky the Clown!!!

Ummmm, not exactly. IPF's quote was from The Electric Company.

Binky's was:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY KIDS!!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress [/HIJACK] :wave:

Merriweather
07-11-2009, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=sms001;590059]Leek Girl.

I miss Ren and Stimpy. Pinky and the Brain too (although much later.)

I miss Beany & Cecil, and Rocky & Bullwinkle, and .......

Merriweather
07-11-2009, 05:07 AM
and remembering when punched cards were the "HEIGHT" of high tech. when the IBM 360/370 series was da bomb.

My second job after college, as a computer programmer, was to take a program used in an engineering firm and re-write it in Fortran. They had the original lines of code only on punch cards - with no alphbetical translation, I had to read the friggin punches card by card :eek:
After that, I can handle anything anyone throws at me at work.

Andara Bledin
07-11-2009, 06:41 AM
For the Electric Company Guys. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhknPnK2JM
And a little Morgan Freeman for you all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PuAqRQLKA

^-.-^

Racket_Man
07-11-2009, 07:38 AM
anyone remember the ORIGINAL Alvin and the Chipmunks (in black and white with hand puppets)

when Jonny Carson was in New York???

Dragnet in bkack and white and Joe Friday wore a hat????

the Courtship of Eddie's Father with Bill Bixby????

or the original My Favorite Martian with Bill Bixby and Ray Walston???

the original Family Affair with Brian Keith and Sabasitian Cabbet?????

or the Many loves of DOby Gillias??????

as for reading the punched Holerath codes by hand, couldn't you have dup'ed them through an 029 keypunch machine so that it showed the alphanumeric at the top of the card?????

infinitemonkies
07-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I own, (and still use) a gameboy that's older than many of my co-workers.

simplyanother
07-11-2009, 11:26 AM
anyone remember [all the tv stuff]..]

Well, I remember Dragnet, Dobie Gillis and a bunch others--because...well, reruns, and Nick at Nite. Of course, not the original run, because, well, yeah. lol

(Also, somewhere, they ran Get Smart, I can't remember if it was N@N or what).

AccountingDrone
07-11-2009, 12:08 PM
You know you're getting old when...

...you're listening to the radio and you hear one of your favorite songs from when you were in high school... and then you realize it's on the CLASSIC ROCK station! :cry:

It's bad enough for me, being in my mid-30s, but one of my buddies had this happen to him when he was in his early 20s. :eek:

No, what is scary is hearing ACDC as muzac in an elevator at a mall ...

prb
07-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Leek GirlYeah... but leek girl is is 井上 織姫 Inoue Orihime.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2478/loituma.gif

sms001
07-11-2009, 02:50 PM
or the original My Favorite Martian with Bill Bixby and Ray Walston???

There's been a remake?

I always wondered why this series wasn't picked up more often in syndication - it was one of my favorites as a kid. Does anyone recall what car Bixby's character drove? I can almost picture it in the garage downstairs. Karmann ghia maybe?

as for reading the punched Holerath codes by hand,

I had a friend who brought his collated cards home for a final manual check and numbering before submission. Dropped the box on his way to the car. Next available run slot? 2 MONTHS. :eek:

Difdi
07-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are.

Hand one to the cashier, and state "Here, take a leek." :devil:

JoitheArtist
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I miss Beany & Cecil, and Rocky & Bullwinkle, and .......

I LOOOOOOOOVE Beany and Cecil and Rocky and Bullwinkle!!! I thought no-one knew about Beany and Cecil anymore!!!

"I'm-a comin', Beany-boy!"

I'm waaaaaay too young for that show, but my parents loved it. And I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle. Actually, Jay Ward's grave isn't too far from where I live, I visit it sometimes.

Merriweather
07-11-2009, 05:28 PM
anyone remember the ORIGINAL

or the Many loves of DOby Gillias??????

I loved that show! Maynard G. Crebbs was my hero.

Merriweather
07-11-2009, 05:44 PM
anyone remember the ORIGINAL
as for reading the punched Holerath codes by hand, couldn't you have dup'ed them through an 029 keypunch machine so that it showed the alphanumeric at the top of the card?????

The main company I worked for (not the engineering firm, they were a client) had hired me just because of that job - they worked almost exclusively in Cobal, I was a Cobol programmer, but no one, and I mean no one, top down, knew Fortran - so since I had taken a couple of courses in college (it was my second job out of college) I got hired (they knew the Fortran was short-term, and wanted someone who could do that job, then be put into another project with the firm). So I knew basically what I had learned in college about punch cards and Fortran (which wasn't all that much) and no one at the company knew even that much. I know there was no keypunch machine available to use, the engineering firm had tossed old equipment and just wanted it rewritten to run on hard drive or floppy, not cards, and a screen. To add to all that, I could never get any information on what the program actually did - I've got lines of code that are basically just formulas, and no one who can tell me what the variables used stand for, etc. - and I'm supposed to turn it into a usable new type program with prompts for the correct information:eek: If all I have is lines of formulas saying a=b/c etc. etc., how do I have a nice little insert line telling them to enter what b stands for, when I haven't a clue, and no one else seemed to either (I've always wondered, who actually had used these programs in the first place, then???). Oh, and there was the odd missing card as, well......

For two weeks, I went home and cried at night, thinking I was going to lose my job (I'd had to leave my first job after going back to college cause the company folded (I worked retail and clerical before that), and had just gone thru a divorce, and was a single parent - pressure upon pressure). Finally I got the sympathy of a higher up at my company who understood enough to know it just wasn't a feasible project, and he actually told the engineering firm it couldn't be done with the info they were supplying, so not long after, it was dropped, and I was put on major Cobol projects for the USNavy, and was ever so much happier (well, except for haing my main customers (or clients) be military brass who hadn't a clue.:)

Merriweather
07-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I LOOOOOOOOVE Beany and Cecil and Rocky and Bullwinkle!!! I thought no-one knew about Beany and Cecil anymore!!!

"I'm-a comin', Beany-boy!"

I'm waaaaaay too young for that show, but my parents loved it. And I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle. Actually, Jay Ward's grave isn't too far from where I live, I visit it sometimes.

I even had a stuffed Cecil the Seasick Sea Serphant, complete with cape so he could be Super Cecil.

Did you know they actually did do a DVD of Beany and Cecil, but not all that many, so my goal in life is to track one down (and probably take out a second mortgage for it, lol).

Javarod
07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I started feeling old a few months ago when the oldies station started playing early 80s music, after all, i grew up on that, and i'm only 37

The Last to Know
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
You know you are getting old when you realize your kids have no idea what "chicken of the sea" is - they look at you completely crazy when you want to listen to & know all the words to "the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald" and you start telling them about how much you used to love the show "land of the lost"

tropicsgoddess
07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Ummmm, not exactly. IPF's quote was from The Electric Company.

Binky's was:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY KIDS!!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress [/HIJACK] :wave:

OMG! I used to love that show!!! :roll::lol:

you can remember what it was like having a cellphone that didn't have color screens, had pull out antennas and the fanciest feature was that you can text message somebody.

all the rap you listened to in middle/high school is now under old school rap. :cry:

if you know what SPEEEEEEEWWWW and HELLLOOOOOOOOOO NURSE! was and where it came from

Primer
07-11-2009, 11:41 PM
And who remembers Captain Kangaroo?
How about Romper Room?

in Seattle, we also had P.J. Patches

in Austin, was The Uncle Jay Show, and Who Knows the Answer?

nationally, was Bozo the Clown (my brother appeared on that one, but was bleeped for saying, "F*** off, clown!"

Camry178
07-12-2009, 12:22 AM
if you know what SPEEEEEEEWWWW and HELLLOOOOOOOOOO NURSE! was and where it came from

I remember the nurse quote from "Animaniacs".

How about Romper Room?

I still remember their full P.O. Box address in Jersey!! :roll:

For me, I realized I was getting old when I was watching "The Price is Right" and they showed "This Beautiful New Dining Room Set and Washer and Dryer" and went "oooooooooohhhhhh". The "oohs" used to be only for the "New Car!!".

Also, now when I see "kids", who's diapers I used to change, full grown with babies of their own!

Oh, and as for "School House Rock", my hubby remembered one song that went: "Beans and rice, Beans and rice...." Who wants to finish that one? :lol:

EricKei
07-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh, and as for "School House Rock", my hubby remembered one song that went: "Beans and rice, Beans and rice...." Who wants to finish that one? :lol:Was it "once or twice, or even thrice? Beans n' rice...is nice" ?

Dammit, now I'm hungry. I got a hanker for a hunk o' cheese...

Animaniacs isn't THAT old >_> (or so I keep telling myself)

time for more of these, then...

... you remember when "Saturday morning cartoons" were just that.

... you remember when you had more than one NETWORK channel to choose from for the Saturday toons, thus forcing you to choose between (or flip between) your favorite shows, at times

... you go to the video store to buy box sets of "classic toons" like Voltron and Thundercats, having remembered watching them in their original runs

... you remember watching ANYTHING with "2000" in the name and being genuinely convinced that that year was a long time off...

Der Cute
07-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I used to watch Bozo the clown and parts of Price is Right when getting ready to walk to school. Wow.

I miss The Electric Company, Sesame Street and sometimes Mr. Rodgers. (he was a bit quiet for me).

Hell, does anyone remember when BEANBAGS were considered major furniture in a living room? I do. And now they're coming back? Oy. At least not in that rusty colored orange crap. Or the avocado green.....

CuteOld

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Oh believe me, I do. Now all the Saturday morning programs are infomercials or educational shows.

Shit, I just spent my entire week cooped up in school learning. Can't a kid have some mindless fun watching Bugs Bunny any more?

Camry178
07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Was it "once or twice, or even thrice? Beans n' rice...is nice" ?

Very good!! :lol:

OH, and I remember when NBC actually had Saturday morning cartoons like "The Smurfs". :lol:

Prince: "we're gonna party like it's 1999." :lol:

Pagan
07-12-2009, 02:43 AM
and you start telling them about how much you used to love the show "land of the lost"

Oh, jeez. They were running that on SciFi (pardon me, it's now SyFy:rolleyes:) when the movie came out. I had forgotten how damn cheesy that show was! :roll:

you can remember what it was like having a cellphone that didn't have color screens, had pull out antennas and the fanciest feature was that you can text message somebody.

Remember how the first one's looked like and weighed as much as a brick?

Shmoo and Captain Caveman were two of my favorites.

... you remember watching ANYTHING with "2000" in the name and being genuinely convinced that that year was a long time off...

And then you realize that we've gone waaaaaay past when Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard version) Ranger 3 launched....which was 1987, the year I graduated from high school. Although, I'd love to have that theme as a ringtone. :p

irateguy
07-12-2009, 02:43 AM
How about Romper Room?

nationally, was Bozo the Clown (my brother appeared on that one, but was bleeped for saying, "F*** off, clown!"

In Cincinnati we had "Uncle Al" who was on M-F mornings he worke a bowtie and a straw hat and played the accordion and Banjo There was also the Larry Smith Puppets in the afternoon Snarfie ( Dog) Rudy (Rooster) Teaser(Mouse) Corneilus Cornball and Hattie the Witch . Larry Smith would be on M-F afternoons wrapped around Looney Tunes Cartoons

Merriweather
07-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Was it "once or twice, or even thrice? Beans n' rice...is nice" ?

... you remember when you had more than one NETWORK channel to choose from for the Saturday toons, thus forcing you to choose between (or flip between) your favorite shows, at times

Or even longer ago, when Saturday mornings were a mixture of cartoons and other kids shows like Sky King, My Friend Flicka, and others (lots of westerns, as I recall)

bunnyboy
07-12-2009, 03:20 AM
How about Romper Room?

Don't they still sometimes do PJ Patches things... remember something from a couple years ago.

and does anyone know any more Melmackian recipies? or does nobody here know what a Melmackian is?

Dark-Star
07-12-2009, 03:22 AM
I once spent 20 minutes looking for my glasses...

:o Heh, heh...been there, done that. During a yearly replacement I got frames that were way lighter and sleeker than my old clunky ones. They did their job a little bit too well.

The worst episode ended with me asking my mother if she'd seen my glasses recently. There is nothing more embarrassing than your own mom laughing herself to tears, while you stand there like a total idiot, and when the answer dawns on you...gaaaah. >X-P

Andara Bledin
07-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Remember how the first one's looked like and weighed as much as a brick?
Oh, no, no, no....

I remember the first portable phone I saw someone using (http://i26.tinypic.com/r22lom.jpg).

It had a regular handset just like a normal rotary or touchtone phone with a curly cord, and the base lived in a small suitcase!

^-.-^

Racket_Man
07-12-2009, 07:08 AM
I know there was no keypunch machine available to use, the engineering firm had tossed old equipment and just wanted it rewritten to run on hard drive or floppy, not cards, and a screen. To add to all that, I could never get any information on what the program actually did - I've got lines of code that are basically just formulas, and no one who can tell me what the variables used stand for, etc. - and I'm supposed to turn it into a usable new type program with prompts for the correct information:eek: If all I have is lines of formulas saying a=b/c etc. etc., how do I have a nice little insert line telling them to enter what b stands for, when I haven't a clue, and no one else seemed to either (I've always wondered, who actually had used these programs in the first place, then???). Oh, and there was the odd missing card as, well......

.:)

OMG you have my FULLEST sympathies. and yes I have encountered vast multi 1000s line programs like that in the past. one letter varaible names, numerous GOTO's, wierd formulas that made no sense, whole sections of code that were there but never used and this was in old school RPG

simplyanother
07-12-2009, 02:43 PM
and does anyone know any more Melmackian recipies? or does nobody here know what a Melmackian is?

Wasn't Alf from Melmac? I watched that show, and liked it---but oh my it was bad. Bad bad bad. I was also like 8, and really liked Perfect Strangers, so my taste was obviously questionable.

Boomerang used to show the Smurfs, don't know if they still do, but my kids liked it, and the Snorks (which I never watched as a kid). Now you can find Smurf toys again, at walmart. Which is nifty.

You can definitely tell that people who were children during the 1980's are parents now. Or feel like you're in some weird time warp, when you go to the toy aisle, and are confronted with Transformers, TMNT, G.I. Joe (though, they are the bigger dolls, like ya'll had until the mid 70's, not the little action figures we had in then)....you also see Cabbage Patch Dolls, and Strawberry Shortcake (I tend to notice boy toys more than girl toys, because my boys are allergic to pink, apparently).

Arm
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
OMG you have my FULLEST sympathies. and yes I have encountered vast multi 1000s line programs like that in the past. one letter varaible names, numerous GOTO's, wierd formulas that made no sense, whole sections of code that were there but never used and this was in old school RPG

Reading about this reminded me of helping my grandfather with his equation-solving program.

He has, as a hobby these days, a fascination with math. Various triangles of different ratios are his thing.

He has this one old program that he wrote in some bizarro-version of BASIC- I think for the ATARI- that he then had kluged to get running under microsoft's BASIC. Not that there was too much difference, I don't think.

He would change what it did, and how it solved its equations, by commenting or un-commenting different lines.

These days though, he couldn't get printed output from his program any more, and it didn't display conveniently on his screen... So, I rewrote it for him- in javascript of all things, because now it'll work on any computer that has any browser with javascript enabled. And it doesn't need to know how to print, because the browser, OS, whatever, will handle that.

When I translated it, I wanted to give him some simple toggles to enable/disable the various functions he was commenting/uncommenting. Trying to figure out what it DID was just weird. And to be honest, I'm still not sure. I can point to any function and say, 'this is the bit that takes this variable and multiplies it by two.' but I can't explain WHY that's needful or desirable. Every piece makes sense on its own. When arranged in a whole, I got no idea. I wound up simply verifying the output of the new versus the old, and calling it finished.

Andara Bledin
07-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey, Perfect Strangers wasn't that bad. I have no argument about ALF, tho, which I refused to even consider watching more than once.

It's not that the children of the '80s are parents now, so much as the children of the '80s are cropping up as producers and managers of the places producing the stuff.

Plus, the cartoons these days aren't nearly the same as they were in the '80s. I can't watch most of the stuff I see today, but I can re-watch the stuff I watched as a kid and not wince nearly as much.
He has this one old program that he wrote in some bizarro-version of BASIC- I think for the ATARI- that he then had kluged to get running under microsoft's BASIC. Not that there was too much difference, I don't think.
It could have been MBasic, which I learned while taking a summer school programming class in high school, and worked on the Mac IICs we had there.

^-.-^

DGoddessChardonnay
07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Or you walk into a room and suddenly can't remember why you were in there?

I do this almost daily. . . . I'll go into the hbc room, for example, and forget what I went in there for.

It'll usually come to me in a few seconds, and in the meantime get a snicker or two if a coworker walks by and asks what I'm doing.

I simply tell them my mom is rubbing off on me and I'm practicing Alzheimer's:lol:

Another sign that you're getting older (in addition to the momentary loss of memory:)

You sit down in the floor to straighten out the bottom shelf and then have a hard time getting back up. You're grabbing to an upper shelf for support so you can pull yourself up and you can feel your hips and knees creaking.:cry:

Pagan
07-12-2009, 11:47 PM
I remember the first portable phone I saw someone using (http://i26.tinypic.com/r22lom.jpg).

Oh, man, I had completely forgotten about those things!

Hey, Perfect Strangers wasn't that bad. I have no argument about ALF, tho, which I refused to even consider watching more than once.

Remember "Bosom Buddies" or "WKRP in Cincinnati"? Or "Barney Miller" and "Welcome Back Kotter" (I'm really surprised that hasn't been made into a movie.*)? And I remember one that was hilarious but lasted one season, "Hot L Baltimore". Conchata Farrell was in that and now she's on "2 1/2 Men"! :lol:

It's not that the children of the '80s are parents now, so much as the children of the '80s are cropping up as producers and managers of the places producing the stuff.

Exactly.

*Whoops. Spoke too soon. Looks like there's one in the works for a 2012 release....with Ice Cube as Mr. Kotter?????

EricKei
07-13-2009, 01:08 AM
...with Ice Cube as Mr. Kotter?????"HEY MISTER KOT-ER-ER!"
*BLAM* "What."

>_<

Might not end well...

dalesys
07-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Soupy Sales

Supposedly unaired for saying (after yet another cream pie)

"My wife doesn't make good pies, but she sure makes my banana cream.":rimshot:

Racket_Man
07-13-2009, 05:29 AM
ahhh Soupy Sales. I believe he used to be on ......... naaa that was Pat Paulsonon the Smothers Brothers and he said "and I am running for President."

anyone remember the ORIGINAL Love American Style esp the one I remember where there is the "pilot" of Happy Days

Info here

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/700059/happy_days_was_a_spinoff_from_love.html

Intro to the episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHuI0Pw0m8

The Last to Know
07-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Oh lord, ALF - lmao - yes I do believe he was from Melmac, but where was Mork from? You also know you are getting up there when your favorite shows as a kid were Sonny & Cher, Wonder Woman & the Twilight Zone.

Pagan - I graduated in 1987 too & I did catch about 5 minutes of Land of the Lost a few weeks back & yes it is a shame how cheesy it really was.

marlovino
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Mork was from Ork, wasn't he?

How about all the gameshows from the 70's and 80's.

my personal favorite was 20,000 pyramid and the 70's version of hollywood squares.

the first was whenever they had Nipsi Russell (sp?) as one of the celebrity contestants. That man was a poet.

-offtopic If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress? - Nipsi Russell

The second was when the late comedian Paul Lynde would be on. $Diety how he was ever able to get some of the things he said passed the censors I'll never know.

p.s. the 80's? I'll give you a hint ---- 'No Whammy, No Whammy......' :D

CrazedClerkthe2nd
07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
What makes me feel older, with regards to working in a games store, is when I mention some classic NES game to one of our younger employees and get a blank stare because the kid is only 19 and NEVER HAD an NES!

Someone who is 19 would have been born in 1989/1990 and their first system was more than likely an SNES or a Playstation.

Also many of my references to early 90s shows (Family Matters, Fresh Prince, Saved by the Bell) are lost on the youngins...

TOLady
07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
For those that love those old shows from ages ago, I found a site many moons gone when I was looking up a favourite of mine - Ghosts of Motely Hall (1975-1978).

This website doesn't leave out too many - http://tv.cream.org/

sms001
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Soupy Sales

There was a 'Wings' episode with Soupy. I don't remember the rest of the show, but he and Lowell (Thomas Haden Church) play a round of Simon Says that is one of the funniest and most creative sight gags I've ever seen on modern television. Easily rivals Lucille Ball and Harpo Marx's mirror skit. Wish I could find it on the interwebs somewhere. :(

Andara Bledin
07-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Remember "Bosom Buddies" or "WKRP in Cincinnati"? Or "Barney Miller" and "Welcome Back Kotter"?
I watched all of those.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that Hanks really hasn't done much of note since "Bosom Buddies."
How about all the gameshows from the 70's and 80's.

my personal favorite was 20,000 pyramid and the 70's version of hollywood squares.
I was a huge fan of Password, myself. And What's My Line.

^-.-^

protege
07-14-2009, 05:08 AM
p.s. the 80's? I'll give you a hint ---- 'No Whammy, No Whammy......' :D

Uh, "Press Your Luck" :D

I remember when Get Smart was on, along with Diff'rent Strokes, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Perfect Strangers, Small Wonder (anyone remember how bad that one was?), Mork & Mindy, All in the Family, Perry Mason, Dukes of Hazzard...and when cartoons were actually good. Now, most cartoons just suck. Whatever happened to hours of Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings?

I know some of those shows were a bit old, but my parents didn't spring for cable until the mid-1980s. There were only about a dozen or 20 channels locally then.

Oh, and the original "Tainted Love?" That tune shows up in GTA: San Andreas :)

Pagan
07-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I miss that the contestants don't go shopping on "Wheel of Fortune" anymore.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that Hanks really hasn't done much of note since "Bosom Buddies."

He was good as Jim Lovell, but he doesn't look anything like Robert Langdon. :p

El Pollo Guerrera
07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Mork was from Ork, wasn't he?

Yes, he was... but does anyone remember his appearance on "Happy Days"?

I've got a computer-based YKYGOW... does anyone else remember having to park a hard drive? Or the original Macintosh computers that came in a single case? I've even seen the old Macs with the signatures of the developers etched on the inside cover.

And then there's video games. Someone brought down an old Atari to our gaming club that got endless play by young 'uns that have never seen one like it before...

EricKei
07-15-2009, 12:58 AM
I miss that the contestants don't go shopping on "Wheel of Fortune" anymore.Me too - I always loved that for some inexplicable reason...I never could figure out how Sajak always knew precisely how much $$ they had "left to spend" -- After I grew up, I figured that it's either (a) his mind for number sis just THAT good, (b), they keep it posted on a telepropmter manned by a mathy person, or (c) edits.

Mork on Happy Days...yes o_O

Parking a drive...Yes, that too. I once had a real....ACTUAL...8-inch floppy disk in my room that I absconded with from the "storage lockerre of really olde shitte" at a former place of employment.

Andara - seconded. With the possible exceptions of Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump, All he seems to do in most films is play Tom Hanks. Kinda like Cruise. I can't stand that >_<

LadyAndreca
07-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Here I was thinking it was scary that my youngest brother didn't know you used to have to lick stamps...he turns 20 this year, too!

Becks
07-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Small Wonder

I remember that show!

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Small Wonder (anyone remember how bad that one was?)

I used to watch that show on Saturday mornings. :ashamed:

Guess I was too young then to see how much of a pile of sitcom fail it was.

AccountingDrone
07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Parking a drive...Yes, that too. I once had a real....ACTUAL...8-inch floppy disk in my room that I absconded with from the "storage lockerre of really olde shitte" at a former place of employment.

if you really want ancient, I have a Wang Archiver you can have ... I think it is still in the barn =)

jiarby
07-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I guess I'm old....

My first console video game was PONG. It was a console that just played PONG. (1977 or so).

My 1st handheld game was Mattel's "Electronic Football". The white one, no passing... that was v2, the green one. I still have it buried in the closet somewhere. Bleep Bleep...My Turn!!

My 1st cell phone came in a shoulder bag with a coiled cord that connected the handset to the battery pack. 3 watts of power baby. I'll probably get hip cancer. $.50/minute. This was 1993 or so.

In addition to the cell phone I had a pager. No one had cell phone #'s. Everyone had pager numbers.

I liked Battlestar Galactica.... when Starbuck was a dude.

Super Golden Crisps Cereal was known as SUGAR Crisps. Corn Pops Cereal was called SUGAR Pops. There was only ONE kind of Cheerios.

Our TV was made of wood... REAL wood. It was a piece of furniture with upholstered speakers and feet that were turned on a lathe. It was made in the USA by Curtis Mathes.

We were the first folks I knew that had a microwave oven. It was BIG, stainless steel, and glass. The control was a dial knob. (no digital display at all) This was in 1976. We still have this microwave, well, technically a "Radar Range" by Amana. We used it to reheat coffee and nuke baked potatoes for dinner.

I watched the first moon landing on TV.... LIVE.

The first digital camera we used was made by Apple Computer. It only took black & white pictures. It saved them on a 3.5" floppy disk. You remember those, right... 1.44mb. It cost about $1000

I remember how disappointed I was when I first saw a Pentium computer running Windows 3.11. It still had an hour glass icon. I thought it would be SO fast that you would never wait for anything.

I know the difference between an SX, DX, and <gasp> MMX branded computer processor. (Intel)

My first computer had no internal storage. You could save data on a cassette tape. (Commodore 64). I used it to connect to Compuserve, which charged by the minute of connection time.

I later upgraded to a 386sx16 w/ 1mb Ram & a 40mb HDD. I later bought an extra mb of RAM (cost $114) to get to 2mb so I could install Windows.

My 1st version of MS Office came on 25 floppy disks.

I have used a NeXT PC built by Steve Jobs when he GOT FIRED by Apple Computer.

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar at the Movie Theater when it opened.

I remember listening to Nixon resign on the radio.

I have a Reagan/Bush bumper sticker. (the FATHER Bush, of course)

Animaniacs?! Pahleez! The best cartoons by a mile are Foghorn Leghorn, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner & Coyote.

When I was a kid my first lunch box was Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp. It was one of those metal square ones with the GLASS thermos that broke the 1st day.

When I was a kid it was shocking for a black man to be sheriff. (Cleavon Little) Now the President of the United States is a black man.

The Last to Know
07-16-2009, 01:45 AM
We were the first folks I knew that had a microwave oven. It was BIG, stainless steel, and glass. The control was a dial knob. (no digital display at all) This was in 1976. We still have this microwave, well, technically a "Radar Range" by Amana. We used it to reheat coffee and nuke baked potatoes for dinner.

I think I still have & use on a daily basis the same exact microwave. My oldest child will be 19 in four days & a lady who I used to work with gave it to me when I moved into my first townhouse while I was pregnant with him - she had it for about 6 years before she gave it to me in a beach house she used to own. It has no digital anything & I have to use my finger to turn the dial because the piece that used to turn the dial got lost 15 or some years ago, but it still works like a charm & until it fails - I won't get rid of it. :D

I was born in August of 1969 - so I think I was here, but doubt I watched it. :lol:

(my attempt at quoting didn't work - oh well)

EricKei
07-16-2009, 01:57 AM
My first console video game was PONG. It was a console that just played PONG. (1977 or so).

Super Golden Crisps Cereal was known as SUGAR Crisps. Corn Pops Cereal was called SUGAR Pops. There was only ONE kind of Cheerios.

Our TV was made of wood... REAL wood. It was a piece of furniture with upholstered speakers and feet that were turned on a lathe. It was made in the USA by Curtis Mathes.

I know the difference between an SX, DX, and <gasp> MMX branded computer processor. (Intel)

My first computer had no internal storage. You could save data on a cassette tape. (Commodore 64). I used it to connect to Compuserve, which charged by the minute of connection time.

My 1st version of MS Office came on 25 floppy disks.

Animaniacs?! Pahleez! The best cartoons by a mile are Foghorn Leghorn, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner & Coyote.
Dammit, you're winning so far ^_^

Never had the priveledge of playing the PONG unit. I did, however, convince a teacher to let me do a report in 6th grade on Nolan Bushnell.

Sugar xxxx -- I wonder if they're in denial, or if they think we're just THAT stup-....Silly me. Forget I asked.

We had a "wooden cabinet: TV when I was younger as well. I always loved those blasted things.

My first comps were a C64 (with the Fast Load cartridge ([C=] + [RunStop], Pitfall! 2, M.U.L.E., and Raid Over Moscow (which didn't work with FastLoad)) and a TI-99 4/a. Taught myself BASIC on those. Ugh. But fun! I was so stoked when I got the blazing fast DX4-99mhz computer and WIn3.11. I still have the floppies for windows, word, ami pro....

And I agree wholeheartedly on Bugs and the boys. Good luck finding them uncensored nowadays. I remember one of the more absurd edits -- a scene in which Elmer was "chasing" a baseball around by shooting it. They edited out the shots, so it would just appear to pop up for no apparent reason as a GUY WITH A SHOTGUN CHASED AFTER IT!

El Pollo Guerrera
07-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Damn, I remember those C64's, too. Was visiting relatives who showed me how to load a program, with the old AUDIO tape drives.

Used to love the old "Battlestar Galactica", even got to see the movie in the theatre. I was also a big fan of the "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" series (heck, I picked up the complete series on DVD last year! :p ).

I saw "Star Wars" when it came out. I walked to the theatre with my brother and his friends... jeez, that old theatre had coin-operated drink dispensers in the lobby!

We had one of those cabinet-style audio systems, wooden with the flip top that hid the record turntable and 8-track player, along with the radio controls.

Oh, and I remember one more thing from my childhood... LAWN DARTS!

Geek King
07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
ISuper Golden Crisps Cereal was known as SUGAR Crisps. Corn Pops Cereal was called SUGAR Pops. There was only ONE kind of Cheerios.

Not as old, but:

I remember when it was Super Sugar Crisp, which was better.

Because, you know, it was super.

We also had a huge wooden stereo that was bigger than the TV, and needed the big quartz marble that you could replace. Tubes man, f***in' tuuubes!

Pagan
07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
My 1st handheld game was Mattel's "Electronic Football".

How 'bout Merlin?

When he was a dude! I'm still mad that they left him stranded on the planet with only a Cylon for company....and I'm not counting what they did in that travesty known as "Galactica 1980"!

I was born in August of 1969 - so I think I was here, but doubt I watched it. :lol:

You probably "saw" it like I did....by osmosis. I was tap dancing on my mom's bladder and elbowing her at the time.

protege
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
My first comps were a C64 (with the Fast Load cartridge ([C=] + [RunStop], Pitfall! 2, M.U.L.E., and Raid Over Moscow (which didn't work with FastLoad)) and a TI-99 4/a. Taught myself BASIC on those. Ugh. But fun! I was so stoked when I got the blazing fast DX4-99mhz computer and WIn3.11. I still have the floppies for windows, word, ami pro....

My first was a TI 99-4/A. It's still around, but not used much. It, along with its buddies, games, and tape recorder...are hanging out in my basement. After that, we had an Apple III to play with. That thing would run not only the Apple II software, but DOS as well. We also had some Xerox floppy-based terminals. Those were actually at my father's office when he had his ad agency. 8" floppies, no hard drive, monochrome monitor, daisy-wheel printer, and a cost of a new car today. Hard to believe that the first PC (a 286 clone of some sort) we had seemed like a revelation. Of course the 486SX/33 I got in 1993 blew it away :lol:

BTW, does anyone remember the various versions of "Adventure?"

And I agree wholeheartedly on Bugs and the boys. Good luck finding them uncensored nowadays.

There are many, many Bugs shows that can't be shown now. Considering when they were made it's not surprising. Several made fun of Hitler, black people, the Japanese, etc. all of which is considered taboo now. Still, I'd rather see them, than have them "disappear," because of content.

jiarby
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
How 'bout Merlin?

Was that the round thing with 4 colored buttons that you had to hit in order?? If so, we had that one too... I think they still sell them too. My brother had some kind of whiz quiz hand held game that he liked.

You probably "saw" it like I did....by osmosis. I was tap dancing on my mom's bladder and elbowing her at the time.

No, I was a real flesh in the blood human being.... almost 44yo now. My bday is also in August like the other poster.

EricKei
07-16-2009, 07:13 PM
jiarby - that would be Simon.

protege - I am aware of the "Censored Eleven" (look up the term on wikipedia if you're interested); I was referring more to things like my example above, where some episodes were edited down for inexplicable reasons like the one above. In elmer's case, in particular, they edited out his shooting of a baseballl, but not his shooting of a fellow "living" toon (Daffy)...

jiarby
07-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Yep... Simon was it!

After Googling "Merlin Game" I think my brother had it. He's 18mos younger than me.

Andara Bledin
07-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I was referring more to things like my example above, where some episodes were edited down for inexplicable reasons like the one above. In elmer's case, in particular, they edited out his shooting of a baseballl, but not his shooting of a fellow "living" toon (Daffy)...
They cut the most bizarre things, sometimes.

Back to reminiscing:

I remember getting up early on Saturday mornings to catch the reruns of Speed Racer on PBS, followed by my brother and me sharing our single copy of Picture Pages while watching Captain Kangaroo.

You know Picture Pages rocked, if my brother and I were willing to share a single copy of the book without trying to kill each other.

^-.-^

LibraryLady
07-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle. Actually, Jay Ward's grave isn't too far from where I live, I visit it sometimes.

Coincidently, Greenwood Cemetery, here in Brooklyn has a plot with the inscription "Bullwinkle".

marlovino
07-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I still have, somewhere, my Magnovox Pong system (played pong, handball, hockey) it even had one or two player ability.

I also have a color trs-80 (grey- doesn't work and a white that does work)

I didn't have the mattell ones, I had the radio shack knock off baseball and football games. :(

Dark-Star
07-18-2009, 02:03 AM
BTW, does anyone remember the various versions of "Adventure?"

Remember? Heck, I have Adventure on my PC right now. Along with dozens of other text-adventure games. If you haven't played the Zork trilogy, T-Zero, or anything by Emily Short, you owe it to yourself to go find them.

Merriweather
07-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Yes, he was... but does anyone remember his appearance on "Happy Days"?

And then there's video games. Someone brought down an old Atari to our gaming club that got endless play by young 'uns that have never seen one like it before...

Yeah, both Mork and Laverne & Shirley were spin-offs from Happy Days. And speaking of Happy Days, there's of course the mystery of the vanishing Chuck......:confused:

As for video games, I remember seeing my first one, a pong game that was actually a little table for two in a bar, LOL. First video game I owned was a pong game (no cartridges, played pong and pong alone) that I won for high sales at a Tupperware party, of all things.

Merriweather
07-18-2009, 05:32 AM
I guess I'm old.....

Join the club, LOL.

Same here, and played pong that doubled as a table for two at the bar.

And don't forget the little dog

Sounds like ours when I was growing up. I remember going with my dad to the drugstore when a tube went out, you got little stickers and put matching numbers on the tubes you took out and where they came from, went back and tested them at the store, bought what was bad, and went home and knew where to put them back by the stickers.

Got my first colour TV after I was married, first one in my family.

We were the first folks I knew that had a microwave oven. It was BIG, stainless steel, and glass. The control was a dial knob. (no digital display at all) This was in 1976.

Got my first one maybe a year or two earlier, after I'd been married a couple of years. But I remember a home ec teacher in 7th grade coming back from a kitchen trade show, and going on about the new machines that could bake a cupcake in a couple of minutes - felt like science fiction :lol:

One of my big regrets, had to settle for listening to it live on the radio, cause my Dad had vacation time, and nothing would stop him from driving from the west coast to the east to see family (and we never stopped early in the evening enroute).

My first computer had no internal storage. You could save data on a cassette tape. (Commodore 64).

I had a Texas Instruments TRS-80 (is that right? - no, TI-99, oops, the TRS-80 was Radio Shack, used that at my first job after college, with dot matrix printer, huge floppies, and a modem you had to put the telephone handset into), then the Commodore 64. Of course, by that time I was using mainframes at work. Still remember the Amiga, and how amazing the graphics seemed after all the black and white (or green) screens.

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar at the Movie Theater when it opened.

Had the soundtrack from the broadway version on vinyl, played the darn thing to death.

OMG, I REALLY AM OLD!!!!!!!! When did that happen???:cry:

EricKei
07-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh gawd. Trash-80's. I had one of those, a TRS-80 Color Computer. I guess I'd been trying to hard to put that memory out of my head >_<

Primer
07-18-2009, 04:48 PM
And speaking of Happy Days, there's of course the mystery of the vanishing Chuck......:confused:

Didn't he (and his basketball) go off to college early in Season 1?

EricKei
07-19-2009, 03:09 AM
It's been so long since I played text adventures. I love 'em.

InForm (http://www.inform-fiction.org)is a good source for them as well (it's a free utilty thaqt you can use to make 'em)

mikoyan29
07-19-2009, 01:47 PM

And you're really old if you remember that Tainted Love was done by someone other than Soft Cell

Pagan
07-19-2009, 10:38 PM
And speaking of Happy Days, there's of course the mystery of the vanishing Chuck......:confused:

Kind of like a couple of characters on "Days of Our Lives". One of the Horton kids (I think) went upstairs to do homework....and was never seen again. And Don Craig went out to mail a letter and never came back, that was in 1985. :lol:

Geek King
07-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh gawd. Trash-80's. I had one of those, a TRS-80 Color Computer. I guess I'd been trying to hard to put that memory out of my head >_<

Hey now, that was my first programming computer. I spent most of a summer and a stack of Memorex cassette tapes working through the Learning BASIC Programming book.

Jack T. Chance
07-23-2009, 12:55 AM
So, tonight I went to a local pizza place to get a couple slices for dinner. While I was eating, I couldn't help but notice that somebody was on a "Late '80s hair band" kick... I heard Whitesnake, then White Lion... and this brought back memories of listening to those songs back when I was in high school... and then I thought about how long ago that was. :(

And then, right as I was finishing up... Rick Astley came on! I got "Rick Rolled" in the pizza place! :eek:

jiarby
07-23-2009, 01:18 AM
It's been so long since I played text adventures. I love 'em.

This was really my first intro to computers... playing a civil war re-enactment text game. You had to spend your money, buy bullets, buy food, etc.. and see who wins the battle!

Aethian
07-23-2009, 02:07 AM
How come no one has mentioned Danger Mouse, Mighty Mouse, and MST3K?

For some reason...I had a crush on Danger Mouse...*coughs*

Racket_Man
07-23-2009, 07:07 AM
How come no one has mentioned Danger Mouse, Mighty Mouse, and MST3K?

For some reason...I had a crush on Danger Mouse...*coughs*

*sniff* but but MST3K was not all that long ago

I miss Turkey Day all day Thanksgiving day on Comedy Central when they had it

and the original Mighty Mouse was a Terrytoon theater cartoon (like Heckle and Jeckle and Casper) from the 40's and 50's.

GIVE ME UNDERDOG Vs Simon Barr Sinister

Geek King
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
And then, right as I was finishing up... Rick Astley came on! I got "Rick Rolled" in the pizza place! :eek:

Nah, Rick rolling is when they interupt something else with a Rick Astley song. That was normal listening by someone remembering the old days. I certainly am not rickrolling myself everytime his music comes up on my rotation! :lol:

Jack T. Chance
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Nah, Rick rolling is when they interupt something else with a Rick Astley song. That was normal listening by someone remembering the old days. I certainly am not rickrolling myself everytime his music comes up on my rotation! :lol:But that's just the thing... it was all "hair band metal" in a continuous block, and THEN Rick Astley came on! So, yeah, definitely got "Rick Rolled"! :p

sms001
07-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I miss Turkey Day all day Thanksgiving day on Comedy Central when they had it

Got 'em all on VHS. I'm totally scared that some glitch will come up when I go to transfer them to DVD. But they were still good as recently as a month ago. <fingers crossed>

Racket_Man
07-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Got 'em all on VHS. I'm totally scared that some glitch will come up when I go to transfer them to DVD. But they were still good as recently as a month ago. <fingers crossed>

same here with all of the Dr. Who shows I recorded ohhhhhhh rounds about 20 years ago when the local PBS station played them every Sun night at 10 or 10:30pm.

most of the tapes are OK but some for some reason are crap (and these were NOT el cheapo tapes either)

donruss
07-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Can't believe that no one has mentioned the Atari 2600 home console that came with Combat. I think there was a Sears version that came with a different game as well.

jiarby
07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Atari 2600 with PITFALL!

smileyeagle1021
07-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I would just like to say a big thank you to all you old geezers for making me feel so young now :p
y'all seriously make up for my coworkers who ask questions like "nintendo what?" (they honestly didn't know there was once a console known simply as Nintendo)

Jack T. Chance
07-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I would just like to say a big thank you to all you old geezers for making me feel so young now :p
y'all seriously make up for my coworkers who ask questions like "nintendo what?" (they honestly didn't know there was once a console known simply as Nintendo)That's because there was NOT. It was the Nintendo Entertainment System... NES for short! :p

And yes, I still have mine, and it still worked the last time I wanted to play it. I also have the Holy Grail of NES Games... the original Tengen version of TETЯIS, with its superior 2-PLAYER gameplay! :cool:

Racket_Man
07-26-2009, 07:07 AM
y'all seriously make up for my coworkers who ask questions like "nintendo what?" (they honestly didn't know there was once a console known simply as Nintendo)

WHO ya calling an "old" geezer???????

El Pollo Guerrera
07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
That's because there was NOT. It was the Nintendo Entertainment System... NES for short! :p

And yes, I still have mine, and it still worked the last time I wanted to play it. I also have the Holy Grail of NES Games... the original Tengen version of TETЯIS, with its superior 2-PLAYER gameplay! :cool:

Nice. I have a copy of the old Micro Machines game for the NES, and I don't even have an NES. I just saw it in a store for cheap and had to pick it up.

Now to find a working machine... :(

smileyeagle1021
07-26-2009, 01:22 PM
That's because there was NOT. It was the Nintendo Entertainment System... NES for short! :p

thus proving my point :p

I am so going to get beaten if I keep this up, aren't I :lol:

Chromatix
07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
IIRC, NES games should run fine in a SNES, which might be easier to find. But even the NES was before my time - or maybe my parents just never noticed game consoles. They had enough trouble keeping me away from the 8-bit computer...

EricKei
07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Can't believe that no one has mentioned the Atari 2600 home console that came with Combat. I think there was a Sears version that came with a different game as well.
The would be the Sears Tele-Games. It had Combat, as well, but it was labeled as "Tank Plus". Literally the exact same game in different cartridge packaging. Remember, this was in the days before title screens were the norm for home games.

It was considerably sturdier than the 2600, tho. Between me and my brother, we managed to burn out or otherwise destroy three 2600's and the TG in our day. The TG lasted the longest, by far.

Jack -- If you wanna get technical, you could always go by the original name of the NES: The Family Computer (FamiCon); it was succceeded by their Super Family Computer/Super FamiCon, aka the SNES.

Geek King
07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
The would be the Sears Tele-Games. It had Combat, as well, but it was labeled as "Tank Plus". Literally the exact same game in different cartridge packaging. Remember, this was in the days before title screens were the norm for home games.

The Intellivision, perhaps? I have one in a closet somewhere. I spent many hours playing B-17 Bomber with the intellivoice add-on. "Fighters 6 o'clock!"

EricKei
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
The Intellivision, perhaps? I have one in a closet somewhere. I spent many hours playing B-17 Bomber with the intellivoice add-on. "Fighters 6 o'clock!"
Nope ^_^ The Intellevision (and the Odyssey, and the ColecoVision) were completely distinct consoles. The Sears Telegames was literally an Atari 2600 in a different case.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/systems/sys_SearsVideoArcadeC.jpg

Geek King
07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice. I have a copy of the old Micro Machines game for the NES, and I don't even have an NES. I just saw it in a store for cheap and had to pick it up.

Here you go:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/ba65/

Nostalgia for $50, and portable too!

prb
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Here you go:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd92/ Only $40

marlovino
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I like the one Geek King posted from thinkgeek.com better.

I would be playing Super Mario Bros 3 or Dr. Mario Bros any chance I got. Especially if I sat next to some kid playing with his Nintendo DS.

While wearing this shirt from thinkgeek.com

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/gaming/9890/

up up down down left right left right a b

EricKei
07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
up up down down left right left right a bI had the opportunity to whip this one out at a con here a few years ago...they had an "olde school" gaming room set up, and one of the games on display was Contra for the NES. A teen walked up to me out of the blue and asked if I knew The Code. I literally gave it to him right then without even thinking, even tho I had not noticed that Contra was even there up until that point >_> Some things just become automatic after a while...

Antisocial_Worker
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Coleco. That is all.

Okay, no it isn't. I still remember getting my first NES, and I remember having to take that very first NES back to Rose's Department Store (which is a local indication of geezerhood, as they went out of business long ago), because it was defective and missing half its cords. Then I remember renting games at the video store for my second NES.

I also remember how, after a while, the NES became more a way to test your lung capacity than it was a way to entertain yourself because you always had to blow the dust away. In my personal case, you also had to stuff a paperback book into the console to keep the games in because the spring broke.

Later on, this sort of phenomenon was revived in my cousin's first PlayStation, which had to be turned upside down and have a fan running on it before it would work.

Ah... technology.

EricKei
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Nah, Rick rolling is when they interrupt something else with a Rick Astley song. That was normal listening by someone remembering the old days. I certainly am not rickrolling myself everytime his music comes up on my rotation! :lol:
...And, there's always this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k&e) RickRoll meets Nirvana mashup.

It's...it's horrible, yet wonderful.

Click it. You know you want to. It is your destiny. You know this to be true...

El Pollo Guerrera
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Here you go:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd92/ Only $40

Thank you!!!

:worship:

I am SO getting one of these... There's a TON of old NES and Genesis games at our gaming club with no machines for them!

simplyanother
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Coleco. That is all.

Okay, no it isn't. I still remember getting my first NES, and I remember having to take that very first NES back to Rose's Department Store (which is a local indication of geezerhood, as they went out of business long ago),

There are still a couple of Roses around here. Crappy little places though.

I also remember how, after a while, the NES became more a way to test your lung capacity than it was a way to entertain yourself because you always had to blow the dust away. In my personal case, you also had to stuff a paperback book into the console to keep the games in because the spring broke.

There is an NES in the closet, it doesn't work (consistently), and this makes me very sad. I am certain I still have a save file or two on the ZELDA cartridge...

There is a game I've been trying to remember the name of for the longest time, but I can't even describe it properly. I'm certain it was for the NES, because that's what we had--but I don't even know. It sorta had a maze like quality, and you got food and gah, I can see it in my head, but not tell you what it was. I think the food said "FOOD" on it. heh.

But it was over-head, sorta like the original Zelda, but--it definitely wasn't Zelda. Hell, it could have been for the Super Nintendo, but I doubt it. Gah. I know there were puzzles and shit, you had to figure out in order to get to areas you could see. I keep thinking maybe Gauntlet, but hell if I know.

oooh, I just did a search for screenshots, and I think it was. YAY! Nothing labelled food though. But it's definitely the game. Must find a way to play.

On Contra, couldn't you "steal" lives/men/whateverthehell they were called from other other player? These games were out when I was like 10, and I remember playing with my much older brothers. Heh

But I've been in Nintendo's pocket since the release of The Legend of Zelda. There is a reason my son was dressed as Link for Halloween one year...

(We had an Atari [some number] before we had the NES. I only remember ever playing Frogger and Pac Man on that, but I know we had other games)

MelodiousBubbles
08-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Also makes you feel old (even though I'm aware I'm not):
The first movie you saw in theaters turns 20. I don't remember seeing The Little Mermaid, seeing as I was less than one, but according to my mum, it was my first theater movie :D

EricKei
08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I am certain I still have a save file or two on the ZELDA cartridge...
It would be rather impressive if the battery still worked on that ^_^ If you have a gamecube/Wii, you may be able to find one of the promo discs that came with Zelda 1/2/Ocarina/Majora on it online.

I keep thinking maybe Gauntlet, but hell if I know.

oooh, I just did a search for screenshots, and I think it was. YAY! Nothing labelled food though. But it's definitely the game. Must find a way to play.
360 and PS3 have it available for download.

On Contra, couldn't you "steal" lives/men/whateverthehell they were called from other other player?Yup ^_^ The 30-lives-each code made that a bit more tolerable. :devil:

simplyanother
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
It would be rather impressive if the battery still worked on that ^_^ If you have a gamecube/Wii, you may be able to find one of the promo discs that came with Zelda 1/2/Ocarina/Majora on it online.
360 and PS3 have it available for download.
Yup ^_^ The 3-lives-each code made that a bit more tolerable. :devil:

Last time I was able to get the NES to start up, the original Zelda game did work, but then the system crapped out on me. How many years ago that was, I don't know.

We have the promo disk with the Zelda games on it, we had to get a subscription to Nintendo Power a few years ago, because they were out of the Gamecubes that came with them. But I often see them at gamestop.

We also have the disk that has Ocarina of Time and the Master Quest. It doesn't WORK, because my kid did something to it. Are there any real things that repair scratches on disks?

Because, we needed to be able to play Ocarina of Time on the Gamecube. I still don't like Majoras Mask (I hate any game that makes me play for an extended period [more than 4 minutes] before I can actually save my progress... I'm spoiled. )

Dang it, I don't have a 360 or a PS3. Do have a bunch of Nintendo stuff. Nintendo stole my soul when I was about 8. They won't give it back.

Arm
08-05-2009, 01:47 AM
...And, there's always this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k&e) RickRoll meets Nirvana mashup.

It's...it's horrible, yet wonderful.

Click it. You know you want to. It is your destiny. You know this to be true...

I clicked it before I finished reading your post.

This.

This is the song I shall have my seven-mouthed demon divas sing as I open the silos of my fortress labyrinth and begin armageddon.

I cannot come up with a more fitting description than that. Save that it should additionally be re-scored to play on tesla coils.

edit:
and I now possess the mp3. Truly, such terrors humanity has brought upon itself.... They are richly earned :D

Also, there were only two atari games that ever held my attention... one, the name I don't recall. You flew a starship around from one grid square to another, sometimes docking at space stations. (empty) 3D environment, 2D enemies. The star bases were shiny. I would frequently destroy them after I had my way with them, as they served no further purpose...
The second was Beach Head. The stage where you threw boomerangs at the other guy NEVER MADE SENSE to me, but I could beat it with regularity.

EricKei
08-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Arm, if you hadn't just made my night with the response, your profile pic would have sealed the deal ^_^ Richard, as always, rocks.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed were appropriately terrified of it.

...At least nobody can say I didn't warn them :angel:

I once got buddies (from what is now a looooooong-dead bbs) to click on a Man-Faye link (complete with "I like ta move it move it"; before he had a separate site, iirc) with a similar "warning". I literally told them "No matter what you do, do NOT click on this link. Trust me on this one. If you value your sanity, NO CLICKY" -- words to that effect. Naturally, nobody listened.

Responses ranged from "shock" emoticons to "I will never click one of your links again, Eric" to "You :censored: :censored:!" to my personal favorite response, one which has been in my sig file ever since:

"No...That is just...No. For all that is heavenly and sacred, :censored: No."

McGoddess09
08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
When I was working, we had a bunch of things to put away with barely any room. I looked at one of my younger coworkers and said "I hope you're good at Tetris."

They gave me a blank look. They had no idea what Tetris is!

You also know you're old when you remember when Disney movies were hand drawn, scene by scene. Those were the best!

And Nirvana is old?! Damn! I remember Nirvana!

I remember when back to school meant getting new pencils and the like. Now, you see some kids getting laptops and flash drives for school!

Or when it was back to school time, we didn't have cards telling us we rocked. You ever see the commercials for those cards?

Sad thing is, I only graduated and turned 18 almost three months ago!

dalesys
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
...Sad thing is, I only graduated and turned 18 almost three months ago!
Here's a cane to beat snapperwhippers with.:angel:

KiaKat
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
A girl I taught when she was in K-3rd grade just graduated from HS.

And friended me on Facebook.

jiarby
08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
My wife teaches school... at the start of the school year they have a meeting and all the new teachers get introduced. There were TWO new teachers that my wife taught in the 7th grade!! Now they are co-workers!! She thought that was CRAZY!!

Nurian
08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
The other day when I was playing WoW, someone left for the night and everyone said "Goodbye". Me, being a smart ass, said "Good night, John Boy". Cue people typing: "Huh?", "Who's that?".

An the one guy that got it said nothing. Just whispered me and said, "Feel old now, don't ya?"

wolfie
08-08-2009, 02:40 PM
We also have the disk that has Ocarina of Time and the Master Quest. It doesn't WORK, because my kid did something to it. Are there any real things that repair scratches on disks?

Printed or non-printed side? If it's the printed side, you're screwed (thin layer of lacquer and ink over the reflective coating that holds the data). If it's the non-printed side, I've had a bit of luck (audio CDs from the library where one track wouldn't play due to scratches) with Novus 2 plastic polish applied using a non-woven manufactured rag (brand I use is Scott Rags - looks like an extra-heavy paper towel, but it's a nonwoven fabric). Takes a bit of time and elbow grease (be sure the label side is supported by something inflexible, then a thin non-scratch pad, or you could accidentally destroy the disc), but it works.

AccountingDrone
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
The other day when I was playing WoW, someone left for the night and everyone said "Goodbye". Me, being a smart ass, said "Good night, John Boy". Cue people typing: "Huh?", "Who's that?".

An the one guy that got it said nothing. Just whispered me and said, "Feel old now, don't ya?"

I would have typed Good Night, Mary Ellen :angel:

Primer
08-08-2009, 05:24 PM
My wife teaches school... at the start of the school year they have a meeting and all the new teachers get introduced. There were TWO new teachers that my wife taught in the 7th grade!! Now they are co-workers!! She thought that was CRAZY!!
I made some of my teachers feel that way, also. One taught me trig in 10th grade, and the others taught me calculus and differential equations in college. It was really strange for me to suddenly be a colleague instead of a student!

marlovino
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM

I still on occasion do that with my parents when we go on trips. My mom gets a kick out of it.

http://foolstown.com/sm/old.gif

Does anyone remember playing dungeons and dragons? The electronic one?

AccountingDrone
08-08-2009, 09:53 PM

By the time mrDrone's father retired from teaching at Bloomington High [not sure which building] he was teaching the grandchildren of his a couple of his original class of students. 50 years as a teacher :eek:

EricKei
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Printed or non-printed side? If it's the printed side, you're screwed (thin layer of lacquer and ink over the reflective coating that holds the data).Wolfie is right. An old trick from the gamestore we used to determine whether a scratched game was acceptable for use: Hold it up to a bright(ish) light, label side facing you. If you can see the scratch thru the label, then your disc is useful as a decoration and nothing else, as the data is stoired just under the label. Anything short of that still has at least a *chance* of working again.

Geek King
08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Does anyone remember playing dungeons and dragons? The electronic one?

Which one? Intellivision had a fun one, for the time, then there were the gold box games on PC, and the arcade stand up games. There was also the ill-fated D&D with video that they put out as a newbie lure. There may have been a board game version that had something like Dark Tower going, but I may be mistaken.

marlovino
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
this one

http://dvice.com/pics/dnd-Computer-Labyrinth-boardgame.jpg

A friend had it. We would play this and Dark tower all the time.

Pic of Dark Tower

http://www.odinartcollectables.com/images/DarkTower1.jpg

Geek King
08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Interesting. I'd never seen the top one before, but then I was lucky to afford the Basic D&D manuals when I was a kid. A dealer at Origins this year had a beat-up copy of Dark Tower, and it was going for $250! I got to touch it, at least. :rolleyes: I'll stick to the derivitive-but-still-fun Dork Tower game, thanks. Not electronic, but it does the job with some extra dice rolls.

I do remember playing the electronic version of Scotland Yard, though. A friend had a copy.

Jay 2K Winger
08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
I once got buddies (from what is now a looooooong-dead bbs) to click on a Man-Faye link (complete with "I like ta move it move it"; before he had a separate site, iirc) with a similar "warning". I literally told them "No matter what you do, do NOT click on this link. Trust me on this one. If you value your sanity, NO CLICKY" -- words to that effect. Naturally, nobody listened.

Responses ranged from "shock" emoticons to "I will never click one of your links again, Eric" to "You :censored: :censored:!" to my personal favorite response, one which has been in my sig file ever since:

"No...That is just...No. For all that is heavenly and sacred, :censored: No."

Reminds me of the days when I did sprite-comics on Bob & George (http://www.bobandgeorge.com). One of the "storylines" I did in my comic In Search of Ritalin centered around the rest of the cast taking turns torturing our resident beating stick, Joe the Beating Stick. One of the characters slapped a pair of VR goggles on a tied-up Joe, went on the Internet and googled... a rather disturbing image. Joe, of course, freaked out.

That particular strip was even titled, "NOTE: Do NOT look at that image." And the responses I got from people were all ones of disgust and horror and talking about how I'd scarred their brains forever.

(Spoilered in white text to spare anyone who truly doesn't want to know: The phrase googled was "harlequin fetus." Just don't say I didn't warn you.)

Tiberious
08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
up up down down left right left right a b

Hmm... you enjoy playing with only 3 lives then?

Try Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A instead. Might do what you want it to.

But, I'm just a gaming geek in general. I started with an old Atari 2600 (bought used), and still have several of the cartridges, including a copy of E.T., then later added Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong to the list (yep... Nintendo game son a non-Nintendo system... who'd believe THAT?).

EricKei
08-16-2009, 04:18 AM
, then later added Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong to the list (yep... Nintendo game son a non-Nintendo system... who'd believe THAT?).
Trivia time -- without looking it up, can you answer --

- What was the name of the character you played as in Donkey Kong? No, it wasn't Mario, his name got changed to that somewhere in between DK and Mario Bros.

- Why is he called "Donkey" Kong anyway?

First one to get both gets a cookie! :angel:

sms001
08-17-2009, 02:07 AM
- What was the name of the character you played as in Donkey Kong? No, it wasn't Mario, his name got changed to that somewhere in between DK and Mario Bros.

After $14,792.75 in quarters at the sit down console version of it in the Cork & Dart pub, you would THINK I'd know..... :( All I got is "something" -man.

I believe (and this knowledge came much later, hence its better retention) that Miamoto (sp?) thought Donkey=Ass=Dumb in general in english instead of our usual use of it as a synonym for stubborn. So, Donkey Kong = Dumb Monkey.

Half a cookie?

Because of "The Perils of Pauline" I DO remember our princess-in-distress's name. :)

lobo94
08-17-2009, 04:57 AM
It was Jumpman.

One time at work, I made a joke that I was dragging like RuPaul after working some long hours. This young girl asked me who RuPaul was. (I'll be 38 next month.) I felt old.

Skeen
08-17-2009, 08:34 PM

I thought he was called Donkey because someone at NOA misheard/misread/mistranslated it and it should have been Monkey Kong. :confused:

Anyway, I knew I was getting old when one of my coworkers found a picture of an office party from years ago and said, "Oh, SKEEN! Look how YOUNG you were back then! Oh, don't you remember being that young? OMG, everyone up here just LOVED you when you were that young!"

The picture was taken like 5 years ago. I was 21.

sms001
08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
It was Jumpman.

One time at work, I made a joke that I was dragging like RuPaul after working some long hours. This young girl asked me who RuPaul was. (I'll be 38 next month.) I felt old.

Jumpman!

Oh.

Well, that's what I yelled out at work today when it finally settled in. Tweener next to me (without missing a beat, OR asking WTF?) said "We call him Mario now grandpa..." :)

Kudos to him for the reference AND the slam!

And yeah. The old thing.