PDA

View Full Version : Price Matching Mayhem and Other Shopping Tales

lupo pazzesco
07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
<SIGH>

I've put off going grocery shopping for weeks. just darting in here and there to grab the odd gallon of milk or loaf of bread. Well, that's what I get...I had to hit not one but TWO different stores today because my fridge was empty and I found myself out of a lot of key essentials. Y'know how hard it is to wash a load of laundry when your detergent bottle is empty...? Yeah...So, breaking it down by store, first Target, then Kroger. I got an early start this morning, hoping to avoid too many shenanigans.

:cry:

Story the First: Where's the beef?
In Target, the ground turkey and such products are laid out next to the ground beef and steaks and whatnot. I went in looking for some ground turkey breast. (btw, that's some expensive shit. I'm tempted to buy a couple of turkey breast roasts and grind it myself in a food processor!) Well, apparently the packaging changed on one particular brand of ground beef or something to that effect. either way, the SC I was next to was making her displeasure known, because Target DARED to run out of her ground beef. or chuck. Or something.

SC: <rantrantrantgarble> AND WHERE'S THE FUCKING GROUND BEEF!?
TE (Target Employee): <looking bewildered> It's...right in front of you ma'am...
SC: That's not IT. I'm looking for Brand A ground beef, and none of these packages are IT!
TE: Ma'am, yes, see, this one right here is--
SC: Where's the ground beef? I don't want that fancy shit you're waving in my face. I just want Brand A ground beef!

and so it continues for a few minutes. Harpy screeching, TE looking harassed, and Lupo (who was up entirely too early in the morning on her day off, mind you...) getting cranky. I grabbed a package and butted in. (yeah...I forgot my manners today...)

Me: Ssssoooo, sorry to interrupt, but sir? Can you tell me how much this package of Brand A ground beef is? <Smiling sweetly>
TE: Uh...it's... $x.xx.
SC: Where did you find that!?! He told me they was out and there aren't any HERE!!
Me: <Wordlessly points to the display right in front of her nose> You mean...that stuff right there...?
SC: <blink blink>
Me: :angel:
SC: They changed the fucking packaging on me!! How was I supposed to know!! <She snatches a few packages and stomps off.>
Me: <to TE> reading...it's fundamental...
TE: <laughs nervously and thanks me>

Story the Second: Of Rice and Men
So, as one can assume from the title, at this point I'm in the rice and pasta aisle, looking for orzo pasta for a salad I like to make. I'm grabbing a package, and am heading out when I hear this lovely little exchange between two men standing in front of the rice and beans section of the aisle.

M1: Hey, this tag says it's $1, but the other one says $2.99. What the hell, man?
M2: It's all rice. They must've put the tags up wrong. Idiots. Get the rice and let's go, we still need to get the beer. if it rings up wrong, we'll just have them send someone over to get it right.

after they leave, I'm morbidly curious and head over to see. Yeah, they were looking at the price difference between store brand long grain white rice in the 1 lb bag, and the name brand version of arborio Italian rice. Oh, to see the reaction when they find out they're fecking morons!

Story the Third: Price is Right? Erm...no!!
I finally make it to the checkouts and get in line behind a girl who looks to be just a few years younger than me. Now, Target advertises they will match ANY price in a competitor's print ad on IDENTICAL items. This is important. Apparently one such ad lists ranier cherries as on sale for price A per pound. So, what does this glowing paragon of brilliance do? They bring up at least 3 lbs of organic northwest cherries and demand them for that price. It would've been at least a third of the actual price. Further, they waved the ad in the cashier's face. Poor, poor cashier. But this was only the beginning. Upon being shot down on the cherries, they decided their next goal was meats.

See, Kroger offers what's referred to as a Crazy Meal Deal, where upon this week if you buy 3 lbs of store brand ground chuck, you get a bunch of stuff free. Well, wunderkind here decided that they could do the same at Target. (Erm, no!!) but sub the store brand with a brand called Laura's Lean Beef (apparently an organic brand of some high quality, thus rather expensive? I don't know, as I don't really eat red meat much.) Further, the "free stuff" Well, most if not all were brands exclusive to Kroger, PLUS the deal is only valid if you have Kroger Plus card, which wunderkind did not. Thus the following interaction ensued:

SC: But, YOUR store states you'll price match ANY competitor!! So, PRICE MATCH THIS!!
TE: Ma'am, we only price match identical items, and--
SC: And THESE are identical! See? Ground chuck and GROUND CHUCK. Potato salad and POTATO SALAD (note: Kroger ad says small tub, like 16 oz of potato salad for example, woman had HUGE tub, say 32 oz. FAIL!). It's not rocket science. you need to honor what your company claims!!
TE: And we do price match, ma'am, but in this case, we can't because--
SC: Are you a retard or just stupid!?! I. Want. A. Price. Match.
Me: <sighs before I can catch myself. Dammit, she's spotted me!!>
SC: And what are YOU looking at?!?!
Me: The results of the No Child Left Behind Act...
SC: :eek: Wait...what...? :confused:
Me: <I pull out my copy of the Kroger ad, since that was to be my next stop.> Ok, crazy meal deal indicates Private selection brand. Which is a Kroger specific brand.
SC: <Gives the CBF> But it says--
Me: AND it also says the deal is good with a Kroger Plus card, meaning you need to be a club card member, thus the deal is only valid at KROGER.
SC: But they price match any ad!!
Me: On IDENTICAL items. meaning 1 gallon of whole Borden milk for 1 gallon of whole Borden milk. Not organic grass fed, free range whatever beef for store brand ground beef. NOT 4 pounds of potato salad for the price of two pounds. IDENTICAL means THE SAME!!
SC: what the fuck do you know!?!
Me: I know how to read...
SC: Fine, fuck this. I'm never shopping here again!!! <leaves her crap on the conveyor belt and marches off.>
Me: Promises, promises...

My transaction went smoothly, thank the gods, and I was able to escape...but not for long because then it was...dun dun dun!! On to the second store. Thus, the Kroger hijinks:

Story the Fourth: Reading. Still fundamental, dammit!!
I hit the instore starbucks first and foremost, because I'm thirsty, tired, and want a hit of caffeine to brace myself for round 2. And I immediately encounter suckage. sonofa--!!

SC: <Screaming at barista!!> This is supposed to be $2!! Your sign says a cold grande beverage for $2!!!!
B: Uh, sir, that's only for after 2 pm, with a receipt from earlier in the day. It's called a treat receipt...
SC: Where does it say that!! This is supposed to be $2!!!
Me: <From behind him.> Oh, FFS!!! Read the ENTIRE sign, and it's RIGHT THERE in front of your face!!
SC: <Jumps a mile. He hadn't heard me come up behind him> Wha--but---he said!!
Me: <Points the sign and reads it word for word.> Starbucks Treat Receipt is back. Bring a receipt from THIS MORNING in to any participating Starbucks AFTER 2PM and receive a 16 oz iced beverage for only $2.
SC: Oh...well...uh...
B: That's $4.50, sir.
SC: <Pays and flees>
B: <Turns and looks at me.> So. Bad day??
Me: :o I've been grocery shopping all morning, and haven't had any caffeine yet.
B: ...ouch...

I get my drink, and toddle off. I keep my head down, and fervently ignore anyone and everyone in the hopes of avoiding encountering stupidity while I shop. And success! I make it all the way to the checkout stand unscathed!!

Or so I think...

Story the Fifth: Wah wah watermelon!!
Note here. Kroger has those mini personal seedless watermelons on sale 2 for $5. So, what does the genius in front of me do? Brings up a 20 lb seeded watermelon and proceeds to pitch an unholy fit because it's ringing up for $4.99.

SC: This is false advertising!!
KE: (Kroger Employee) Well, sir, I can send someone to check the price for you and--
SC: Look! <Waves the ad at the poor cashier> It says RIGHT here. Watermelon is 2 for $5. This should be $2.50!!
Me: <sighs again and mutters to myself, but quietly. I really, really don't want to get dragged into another mess, really I don't...>
SC: Get me your manager!!
KE: <after reading the entire ad> Sir...this ad says it's for the dulcinea personal watermelons. This isn't one of those. It's also for seedless, and this is seeded.
SC: :jawdrop: Uh...
KE: Would you still like to see my manager, sir?
SC: <Huffs> Nevermind, forget it. I'll just get the rest of this stuff but <get ready for it!!> i'm never shopping here again!!!
Me: <After he leaves and I'm getting my items rung up> You say that so often, I do not think you know what it means...
KE: <stares at me for a moment.> I love Princess Bride!!
Me: :lol:

And thus I left my final stop and was safely on my way home...

Or not.

Bonus story: Bus Stop Bumfuckery
I'm waiting for the bus to take me home, when I get this little gem. A random guy comes up to me and asks if I have any spare money.

me: sorry, I don't carry cash
him: Please? I'm just trying to scrape together some money to get something to eat.
Me: No, sorry. I don't carry cash. I bought some fresh fruit and cheese sticks though. <I rummage through my bags and hand him a cheesestick, an apple and a banana.> It's not much, but--
Him: <Cuts me off> No, it's NOT!!
Me: Eh??!
Him: I asked for MONEY, not FOOD!! Stupid bitch.
Me: <Puts the fruit back>Correction, you asked for money to buy food. Which I then offered you. Really, if you want drugs or booze, be honest. I still won't give you anything, but at least you'd be honest!
Him: Oh yeah? Fuck you! With your banana!!!
Me: ...
Him: What, no answer? Ha!!
Me: <Standing, since my bus is pulling to the curb> No, sir, but generally when engaging in a battle of wits, I try really hard not to fight the unarmed.
He: <blinks stupidly>

and I get on the bus and head home. Where I am now. with the door locked. It's 2 pm. that's early enough for a drink. Or 5. Right...?

Parrothead
07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
It's five somewhere. :drink: for you, and :salmon: for the Scs you had to encounter.

Cazzi
07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
With all your luck shopping I'll gladly donate a bottle of my rare Christmas cake wine .. no crumbs and only one thing to wash up after :D

Exaspera
07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
It's always 5 o'clock somewhere! :)

HorrorFrogPrincess
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I had 2 thoughts when seeing Lupo made a new shopping thread.

Thought 1: Oh, no, poor Lupo went shopping. :(

Thought 2: Lupo went shopping! Great stories ahead! :D

I'm a bad person...

Falor
07-16-2010, 08:16 PM
It's 2 pm. that's early enough for a drink. Or 5. Right...?

It's your day off and you braved the SCs that shop at my company's stores (Krogers). Oh yeah, it's late enough for a drink. After that, 0900 would be late enough.

I can't tell you how glad I am that my store's D.S.D. (Direct Store Delivery, i.e. from a warehouse we don't own) Receiver started her two week vacation yesterday. That gives me ten shifts straight of not dealing with the moronity (and convenience store owners) who shop in my store until I close the back door down with less than two hours left in my shift.

chainedbarista
07-16-2010, 08:17 PM
ah lupo, you always give me a laugh; too bad it's about a bad day. :(

Me: <Standing, since my bus is pulling to the curb> No, sir, but generally when engaging in a battle of wits, I try really hard not to fight the unarmed.
He: <blinks stupidly>

SCORE!

ditchdj
07-16-2010, 08:31 PM
After reading all these stories by Lupo, maybe it's time to build a massive city wall around Houston. No, not to protect the city from hurricanes or illegal immigrants, but to keep the assholes there from leaving and polluting other parts of the nation with their self-absorbed bullshit.

Magpie
07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Lupo, you are the anti-SC. You leave a wake of happy employees behind you. And based on the number of stories, this trip wasn't enough worse than normal to not make having saved up for super shopping worth it.

I do notice, however, a lack of you informing the employees about this site. tsk tsk.

Whiskey
07-16-2010, 08:44 PM
You have suckdar, jesus.

fma_fanatic
07-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes, Lupo's posts are so famous that my husband texts me about it while I'm still at work.

I'm sorry Lupo..I tried..I guess they all migrated to you again. All I got was the honking old lady.

Aethian
07-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I had 2 thoughts when seeing Lupo made a new shopping thread.

Thought 1: Oh, no, poor Lupo went shopping. :(

Thought 2: Lupo went shopping! Great stories ahead! :D

I'm a bad person...

I think I'm bad with you cause my thoughts were the same....only reversed.

Red_Dazes
07-16-2010, 10:05 PM
***HUGS!!!!***

You poor thing... you really have no luck with the shopping. :( Have a double chocolate chip cookie.

HorrorFrogPrincess
07-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I think I'm bad with you cause my thoughts were the same....only reversed.

That makes you worse! :eek:

;)

malmalthekiller
07-16-2010, 11:11 PM
tory the Third: Price is Right? Erm...no!!
I finally make it to the checkouts and get in line behind a girl who looks to be just a few years younger than me. Now, Target advertises they will match ANY price in a competitor's print ad on IDENTICAL items. This is important. Apparently one such ad lists ranier cherries as on sale for price A per pound. So, what does this glowing paragon of brilliance do? They bring up at least 3 lbs of organic northwest cherries and demand them for that price. It would've been at least a third of the actual price. Further, they waved the ad in the cashier's face. Poor, poor cashier. But this was only the beginning. Upon being shot down on the cherries, they decided their next goal was meats.

Price matching is only to be done at Guest Service, and it's not done on produce unless it's an identical brand. I hate people.

Aethian
07-16-2010, 11:28 PM
That makes you worse! :eek:

;)

That too...

Indica
07-16-2010, 11:47 PM
My first thought: SQUEE! Lupo went shopping!

My second thought: Seriously, Lupo, we have GOT to make a reality show staring you. 'Lupo goes shopping'. We'd make a fortune! It's a can't miss deal!

And if we can't have that, we'll just stick with SQUEE! Lupo went shopping and told us all about it!

Aethian
07-16-2010, 11:50 PM
My first thought: SQUEE! Lupo went shopping!

My second thought: Seriously, Lupo, we have GOT to make a reality show staring you. 'Lupo goes shopping'. We'd make a fortune! It's a can't miss deal!

And if we can't have that, we'll just stick with SQUEE! Lupo went shopping and told us all about it!

See your up there with HFP and myself...:rolleyes:

Mr Hero
07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Bonus story: Bus Stop Bumfuckery

I actually like how you handled this situation. Sadly there are some people who genuinely need money for food, and there are others who lie about it, making it hard for the first group to be believed.

dalesys
07-17-2010, 03:11 AM
No romance this shopexperdition, though.:cry::angel:

sarasquirrel
07-17-2010, 03:16 AM
i've never seen a target with a grocery section lol

when i go into other stores i do look at other people, people watching. but never encounter anything...ever lol

except screaming kids.

like the one the other day in Target...crying, screaming. i could hear him across the store! and Targets big! why drag your kid throughout the store when theyre acting like that?

malmalthekiller
07-17-2010, 03:42 AM
i've never seen a target with a grocery section lol

They're slowly updating all the stores to have at least a small grocery/fresh food section.

I know in the south there are super targets, but the ones close by here are all "Pfresh" stores.

sarasquirrel
07-17-2010, 04:05 AM
They're slowly updating all the stores to have at least a small grocery/fresh food section.

I know in the south there are super targets, but the ones close by here are all "Pfresh" stores.

ive heard of walmarts like that, but havent been in one of those types either.

idk...buying clothes and groceries all at once is quite a transaction lol

Mr. Anubite
07-17-2010, 05:53 AM
<SIGH>
SC: And what are YOU looking at?!?!
Me: The results of the No Child Left Behind Act...

This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

I'll never understand price matching. If Store A is selling something $2.00 cheaper than Store B, why try to make Store A sell it for that price? If Kroger has the beef cheaper, than buy your beef at Kroger if you want to pay the lower price. :confused:

jnd4rusty
07-17-2010, 08:47 AM
This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

I'll never understand price matching. If Store A is selling something $2.00 cheaper than Store B, why try to make Store A sell it for that price? If Kroger has the beef cheaper, than buy your beef at Kroger if you want to pay the lower price. :confused:

I like the price matching that Walmart does, see in my city there are three main companies that have the grocery market, those being Safeway who has two stores, Nash Finch who has four stores and one that is in the Valley that is privately owned and of course Walmart. I like to shop at Walmart the most because all the other stores are spread out and basically I can get everything I need at Wally's. That being said, the other stores do have sales that can make for cheaper groceries but I don't have all day to stop at each one and buy a couple of this or that of the sale items, so instead I just go to Walmart and show them a copy of the ad and get the item for the same price as if I would stop at the other stores. It is cheaper than wasting all the gas and my time. I have most of the prices at Walmart memorized, so when I look online for the ads at the other stores, I know if I am getting a good deal or not.

Pagan
07-17-2010, 07:02 PM
ive heard of walmarts like that, but havent been in one of those types either.

idk...buying clothes and groceries all at once is quite a transaction lol

You've never been in one of the Supercenters?

superhotelworker
07-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Has to be the best line I've used. The look on the other persons face.. it's like you slapped them with a fish.. Oh wait..:salmon:

lupo pazzesco
07-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Wish I could take credit for the wits comment, but I've heard it and variations of it used by my friends and family and adopted it as my own. :D

and no, dalesys, NO would be wooers, thank the sweet bogs!! If you've jinxed me again... <grumble grumble>

Yes, Lupo's posts are so famous that my husband texts me about it while I'm still at work.

I'm sorry Lupo..I tried..I guess they all migrated to you again. All I got was the honking old lady.

:jawdrop: ..really!?! I'm...not sure whether to be flattered or horribly depressed and sad about that, to tell the truth.

I actually like how you handled this situation. Sadly there are some people who genuinely need money for food, and there are others who lie about it, making it hard for the first group to be believed.

That's my usual way with dealing with people asking for money for food. I almost always carry extra snacks around with me, for various reasons. Sadly, I can count on one hand the people who have taken me up on my offer and been extremely grateful for it. I refuse to offer to buy food anymore now, though, not since watching someone pitch a world class fit at another good samaritan. This guy asked a patron at a local McD's if he could spare some change so he could get a breakfast sandwich. Guy tries to be nice and agrees, looking to get him a sausage biscuit, or something off the dollar menu. The beggar then starts screaming that he didn't want no cheap ass sausage biscuit, he wanted a different sandwich, I think it was the most expensive on the menu, just can't remember what it is. Sad thing is, he got his sandwich, I'd have refused at that point.

He then approaches me while I'm finishing my yogurt parfait and asks if I'm willing to help someone down on his luck with a cup of coffee. I told him, sure, but it wouldn't be him, because anyone truly down on their luck should know better than to rage at people trying to help him, plus I make it a habit not to help ungrateful amoebas. He called me a lot of not nice names, and I cheerfully called him a few back as I left. :)

greek_jester
07-17-2010, 10:24 PM
You know, I hadn't even finished reading the first item when I thought 'that sounds like Lupo'. Flicked up & yep, Lupo. You really need to move. Or change your perfume. Or something. :hug:

Mr. Anubite
07-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I like the price matching that Walmart does, <snip>.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

Kogarashi
07-27-2010, 04:46 AM
You've never been in one of the Supercenters?

In sarasquirrel's defense, up until maybe two years ago, CT only had three supercenters (it currently has five, according to the store locator). Hubby and I spent a year making special trips every other week to the nearest supercenter, more than half an hour away by interstate, just to get a deal on our groceries. The state government's got some arrangement, apparently, where Walmart and Target are extremely limited in how many supercenters (with full grocery) they're allowed to have, as opposed to regular stores with a much smaller "Food" department. According to the explanation I heard, this is so the two chains don't put the much more expensive grocery stores out of business by building supercenters in every town.

ravevolution
07-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Augh SC's when it comes to price matching. . .

My manager told me about a lady (think he was telling me in case she came in since it was earlier that day) who came in and we price matched a competitor for tires. . .

she then went to the dealership and had them price match us using a quote we gave her, then turns around and calls my manager about us trying to price match a price match. . .

I don't know what happened but I know it wasn't us loosing money in the end cause of shady tactics.

XCashier
07-27-2010, 06:32 AM
After reading all these stories by Lupo, maybe it's time to build a massive city wall around Houston. No, not to protect the city from hurricanes or illegal immigrants, but to keep the assholes there from leaving and polluting other parts of the nation with their self-absorbed bullshit.
Yeah, but then you'd trap Lupo inside, and she doesn't deserve that! :cry:

Marmalady
07-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Poor Lupo.

I'm making fresh redcurrant muffins today, when they're cool enough not to burn your mouth you shall have some. :hug:

RootedPhoenix
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
*hugs lupo*

People stink. I'm sorry. :(

Pagan
07-28-2010, 12:00 AM
In sarasquirrel's defense, up until maybe two years ago, CT only had three supercenters (it currently has five, according to the store locator). Hubby and I spent a year making special trips every other week to the nearest supercenter, more than half an hour away by interstate, just to get a deal on our groceries.

I have a problem with figuring out how long it takes people to get places back East because the entire state of CT would fit in NM's San Juan County!

Kogarashi
07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
I have a problem with figuring out how long it takes people to get places back East because the entire state of CT would fit in NM's San Juan County!

::laugh:: It takes forever to get anywhere here because of all the stop lights.

Pagan
07-29-2010, 11:59 PM
::laugh:: It takes forever to get anywhere here because of all the stop lights.

You'd like it here. We don't have traffic lights every 5 feet. I can drive the whole length of the Village of Corrales (about 10 miles) and there's not even a stop sign.

But you gotta watch out for the village PD. They can and will pull you over for going 1 mile over the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Kogarashi
07-30-2010, 03:41 AM
You'd like it here. We don't have traffic lights every 5 feet.

Ah, but I'd sorely miss the New England forests. I already told Hubby that wherever we end up has to have trees, and lots of 'em.

XCashier
07-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Ah, but I'd sorely miss the New England forests. I already told Hubby that wherever we end up has to have trees, and lots of 'em.
Come join us here in the beautiful green Pacific Northwest! :wave:

Kogarashi
07-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Come join us here in the beautiful green Pacific Northwest! :wave:

Hmm, I'll consider that one. :p

lupo pazzesco
07-30-2010, 04:37 AM
You'd like it here.

I miss the desert.

And mountains. :(

It's been raining pretty much everyday here. I need me some damn sunlight!!!

kpzra
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM

One word, Alaska...lol I drive over an hour just to get to work, 65 most of the way on the highway and that's just to the next town.

Pagan
07-31-2010, 01:21 AM

We gots lots of National Forest land (about 20% of the state)....when it's not on fire. Where do you think Smokey Bear came from? :p

I miss the desert.

Well, come back sweetie! We've got our usual monsoon set up pretty good, but the rain seems to be staying east of I25 or south of I40. Other parts of the city get dumped on, we get nothin' on the West side. No, I tell a lie, it rained for about 5 hours Sunday, but nothing since then. Just muggy as hell Monday.

One word, Alaska...lol I drive over an hour just to get to work, 65 most of the way on the highway and that's just to the next town.

But what I'm talking about is distance and time it takes to travel it. It's about 60 miles from my place to the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe, it only takes me about an hour. That's almost the width of CT. Back there, it seems to take an hour to go 20 miles. That's what I have trouble getting.

That and I have a hard time conceiving of being somewhere without wide open spaces.

RxBoy
07-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Lupo, you are the anti-SC. You leave a wake of happy employees behind you. And based on the number of stories, this trip wasn't enough worse than normal to not make having saved up for super shopping worth it.

I do notice, however, a lack of you informing the employees about this site. tsk tsk.

We need to be able to print out small cards or something that we can hand to clerks when we are in places where we see stuff like that happening.

Chromatix
07-31-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm in the middle of working out how to see Finland by train. There's a special ticket which gives unlimited travel on any train for a certain number of days within a month, so my plan is to cover as many different lines as possible. This is complicated by the cost of hotels, so I'm trying to plan to come back to Helsinki each night, except perhaps for one or two trips on the sleeper services.

Also, some of the less important lines only have one or two usable services each day. Fortunately the principal services which radiate out from Helsinki are much more frequent than that.

To give an idea of the logistics, one of my day trips will take me about a third of the way up the east side of the country. The outward train departs at about 7am, I get about 2 hours to wait at the furthest point on the route, and I would get back at about 11pm.

That's with direct train connections and no detours, and the bulk of the distance is covered using relatively fast trains (a Pendolino tilting train and an Intercity express). The bulk of the *time* is spent pootling along a little lakeside railway which only has two services in each direction per day.

If I did that by car, I'd have to sleep in it.

kpzra
07-31-2010, 11:25 AM
But what I'm talking about is distance and time it takes to travel it. It's about 60 miles from my place to the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe, it only takes me about an hour. That's almost the width of CT. Back there, it seems to take an hour to go 20 miles. That's what I have trouble getting.

That and I have a hard time conceiving of being somewhere without wide open spaces.

My favorite was when it took me 5 hours to go 20 miles in Atlanta. Detroit was like that too.

XCashier
07-31-2010, 04:49 PM
We need to be able to print out small cards or something that we can hand to clerks when we are in places where we see stuff like that happening.
There is a file for printing out CS business cards: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=16828

Ironclad Alibi
07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
We gots lots of National Forest land (about 20% of the state)....when it's not on fire. Where do you think Smokey Bear came from? :p

Smokey Bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear) was rescued from a wildfire in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico.

Pagan
07-31-2010, 11:56 PM
My favorite was when it took me 5 hours to go 20 miles in Atlanta. Detroit was like that too.

Oooh, I'm sorry. The 3 roads (waaaaaay to few) across the river and the Big I back up horribly at rush hours. I avoid them like the plague at those times. I can't imaging sitting in a car for 5 hours and not moving.

There's a reason I keep singing "Don't Fence Me In".

Smokey Bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear) was rescued from a wildfire in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico.

Yeah, I know that. More specifically, during the cleaning up after the Capitan Gap fire in 1950. He's buried in Capitan, NM.

The Capitan Mountains are one of the four mountain ranges in the Lincoln National Forest. (Pssst, dude, look at my location. And I grew up very close to Lincoln.)

Ironclad Alibi
08-01-2010, 07:19 PM
(Pssst, dude, look at my location. And I grew up very close to Lincoln.)

For some reason I misread your location as Arizona. I wonder if I should cross post this to Brain Burps?

Sapphire Silk
08-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Ouch! I have similar trouble when I go to Maryland to visit my Mom. If I hit Richmond, VA at the wrong time of day, it will take me an hour to go about 2 miles. There's a place where I-95 goes from 3 lanes to two, then merges with another highway. Traffic backups are horrible there.

Invariably, if I hit that traffic snag, I have to pee :o

Ironclad Alibi
08-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Ouch! I have similar trouble when I go to Maryland to visit my Mom. If I hit Richmond, VA at the wrong time of day, it will take me an hour to go about 2 miles. There's a place where I-95 goes from 3 lanes to two, then merges with another highway. Traffic backups are horrible there.

Invariably, if I hit that traffic snag, I have to pee :o

If you're traveling from south of Petersburg to north of Richmond, or opposite, take the 295 bypass. It is only 4 miles longer (45 miles vs. 41 miles), 2 minutes longer according to Google Maps, and has a lot less traffic.

Kogarashi
08-02-2010, 04:12 AM

Heh. One of the many reasons I don't want to move to California. I prefer to live in a state that doesn't catch fire at least once a year.

Pagan
08-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Heh. One of the many reasons I don't want to move to California. I prefer to live in a state that doesn't catch fire at least once a year.

I had a bosque wildfire less than a quarter mile from me at the end of May (Cabezon fire). I actually did grab some things just in case the wind switched around and it started coming my way. Smelled like I was doing BBQ in my apartment the next day.

But then, I tend to over-react to fires. I was evacuated from a forest fire when I was about 10 that burned to within a quarter of a mile from my step-grandmothers house. Scared me so much that I blocked a lot of the memories until the Cerro Grande fire in Los Alamos triggered them.

Chromatix
08-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Around here we tend to get the smoke from Russian wildfires - which I'm sure you've seen coverage of this year. Finnish wildfire protection is quite good, but the Russians' approach is to leave many fires to simply burn themselves out, if they're not approaching a major city.

A few years ago I remember the smoke was thick enough that it was occasionally impossible to see a certain major landmark from the balcony of the office, which was less than 1km up the road. The fires producing that smoke were at least 1000km away in Russia.

RetailWorkhorse
08-03-2010, 02:17 AM
I miss the desert.

RAIN!!!! *Squishes on Lupo* I MISS RAIN SO MUCH! :cry:

I'm moving to Galveston, dammit. *Pout*

lupo pazzesco
08-03-2010, 02:45 AM
RAIN!!!! *Squishes on Lupo* I MISS RAIN SO MUCH! :cry:

I'm moving to Galveston, dammit. *Pout*

*squeaks*

Erm...now it's sunny here, and hella hot. Mama Lupo says it's the desert's turn for clouds and rain and ick. She wants me to give her sunshine back! :lol:

RetailWorkhorse
08-03-2010, 06:47 AM
I haz rain I haz rain I haz rain.

*Dances in the rain*

*Is drenched*

.....I'm WET! I don't like being wet! MOMMY! THE SKY PEED ON ME!

Great, now I'm gonna smell like wet dog. Just what I needed. Someone pass a towel.

greek_jester
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Around here we tend to get the smoke from Russian wildfires - which I'm sure you've seen coverage of this year. Finnish wildfire protection is quite good, but the Russians' approach is to leave many fires to simply burn themselves out, if they're not approaching a major city.

Actually, so long as they're not raging across 30 square miles of forest, that's the not a bad way to deal with them. Fire is a natural part of a forest's life cycle - in fact, some trees (certain breeds of pine, IIRC) need fire to open up the cones so the seeds can escape. The fire clears room so that the seedlings get enough sun to survive. Smothering every spark that appears can end up being more of a hindrance than a help to a forest's ecosystem.

Pagan
08-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I haz rain I haz rain I haz rain.

*Dances in the rain*

*Is drenched*

.....I'm WET! I don't like being wet! MOMMY! THE SKY PEED ON ME!

Great, now I'm gonna smell like wet dog. Just what I needed. Someone pass a towel.

The sky was peeing here about midnight. Took me a little bit to figure out what that noise was.

Would you like a....sparkly towel?

Actually, so long as they're not raging across 30 square miles of forest, that's the not a bad way to deal with them. Fire is a natural part of a forest's life cycle - in fact, some trees (certain breeds of pine, IIRC) need fire to open up the cones so the seeds can escape. The fire clears room so that the seedlings get enough sun to survive. Smothering every spark that appears can end up being more of a hindrance than a help to a forest's ecosystem.

They forest service does do that with lightning started fires. Not the Cerro Grande though, that was a not very controlled burn.

In fact, most of our fires this year have been human started. >.<

Magpie
08-04-2010, 12:28 AM

Around here they tend to let portions of a forest burn, never just let it burn uncontrolled. Granted, my best knowledge of fire control is from provincial parks, and there isn't really such a thing as a safe direction in semi-Southern Ontario. They used to try to extinguish every fire, as soon as it started back in the fifties and sixties. It only took a couple of firestorms to convince them to do otherwise. (Note that these are in logged areas, where until fairly recently they used to square the logs in the bush).

Chromatix
08-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Actually, so long as they're not raging across 30 square miles of forest...

That's the problem, the Russian fires are HUGE.

Whiskey
08-04-2010, 02:13 AM
That's the problem, the Russian fires are HUGE.

I saw an article about this in the local (US) paper. The way the heading phrased it made it sound like Russians were just wanton killing people.

RetailWorkhorse
08-04-2010, 04:37 AM
The sky was peeing here about midnight. Took me a little bit to figure out what that noise was.

Would you like a....sparkly towel?

...how the hell did you manage to put glitter on a towel? :eek:

....is it a pink glittery towel or a green one? Because I'm all pruny and really need to dry off (had a downpour while at work today, the parking lot flooded).

Magpie
08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
....is it a pink glittery towel or a green one? Because I'm all pruny and really need to dry off (had a downpour while at work today, the parking lot flooded).

Here's one with silver and gold glitter.

Pagan
08-04-2010, 11:28 PM
...how the hell did you manage to put glitter on a towel? :eek:

I have my ways....

It rained down there yesterday? We didn't even have anything here that looked promising.

Lessee. I gots pink (he he)....ah, here we go. Yeah, I have a green one. I've got purple, too, but that's mine.