PDA

View Full Version : more WIC follies

Bella_Vixen
12-16-2010, 01:44 AM
This first story happened a few weeks ago.

I was at work, cheerfully ( :eek: ) cashiering, when a couple got into my line. They completely unloaded their cart, and finally handed over their WIC checks. This is not going to go well. (It's much faster to hand me the checks first, because I have check numbers and dates to enter in before I can actually starting ringing items.)

After having to send one or the other of the couple, or their friend that they brought along, numerous times to get the proper something or other that was called for on the check, I had the woman sign the check, and then asked to see the signature card.

Drama time.

They didn't have the signature card. Apparently, this is MY fault. The case worker or whatever the person is never gave them one. Again, this is MY fault. Then they take turns screaming at me, because I had the woman sign the check before I asked to see the signature card, as per the rules. That apparently makes me racist, in their minds. The man asked if the woman's state issued ID would be OK, and was told no, again as per the rules.

I call over the SD girl, and she tells them the same thing. She is then called racist, also. They demand to know what can be done about the now "useless" check that was signed, and didn't like the answer: they had to call the case worker at WIC and find out from her. They snatched the check back, and left their other groceries, shouting that they were going to "go to another store where they understand and deal with black people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :wtf:

Second story happened about a week after the first.

Things were going well, until we got to the peanut butter or beans part.

For the most part, the checks are the same, but circumstances can alter cases. Mostly, it is 18 ounces of peanut butter OR 16 ounces of dried beans/ 4 cans of beans. Sometimes you can get both, but it is written obviously different.

As you may have guessed, they had a check that allowed only the peanut butter OR a bag of beans, but clearly not both.

More drama.

The woman was insistent that she could, in fact, get both, when the check clearly said:
*1 jar 18 oz or less peanut butter
OR 16 ounces of dried beans/ 4 cans of beans

She started yelling that she ALWAYS gets both. I informed her that she cannot have possibly done so at our store. She swears she has, and at our sister store, and at WalMart, etc. etc. etc.

I call the SD girl to try to explain to the woman, but woman was still yelling. We called the MOD, who also tried to explain. Still couldn't get through.

All this time, her boyfriend is trying to get her to calm down and shut up. He told her that I was right, and they don't need the beans anyway, but she insists that it is the principle of the thing. And kept saying that I was incompetent.

And on and on and on.

She finally gave up without the beans, and left, saying that she was never going to shop here again, etc., still going on about my stupidity.

We have to be very careful and diligent when we handle WIC checks. We actually had to take a multiple page test for WIC. We have little to no margin of error when it comes to them, and we cashiers (at my store) can be suspended for mistakes.

snugglegirl05
12-16-2010, 01:57 AM
When I was a cashier back in the mid 1990's I dealt with a couple of customers who tried to get peanut butter & cereal that was not WIC approved.

The peanut butter one customer tried to get by using her WIC card was a name brand peanut butter. She told me that *other store* always allowed her to get that peanut butter. So I called for a manager. The manager told her she could not get the name brand peanut butter. So she told him the same thing she told me. The manager told her she had to get the WIC approved peanut butter. She said no. The manager told her the store could get fined for accepting that WIC card & so he was not going to approve the transaction. She left.

The cereal another customer tried to get was Coco Puffs. She told me that this was the only cereal her kid would eat. I told her Coco Puffs was not a WIC approved cereal. So she asked for a manager. The manager came & told her the exact same thing. She told the manager what she told me. Manager got her the approved WIC cereal.

Bella_Vixen
12-16-2010, 05:09 AM
They make things so easy now...the booklets come with PICTURES of most of the acceptable items, and yet people still can't get it right sometimes.

trailerparkmedic
12-16-2010, 05:27 AM
I feel your pain--I got called a racist for not letting a woman get Velveeta with her WIC check.

chainedbarista
12-16-2010, 05:32 AM
wow, bunch of damned ingrates; free food and they still complain. how about you get NOTHING and you like it? (thank you, caddyshack)

wic is a sticky thing; too bad you can't report them so they can get schooled on what they can get. perhaps wic should sent them home with a pamphlet full of pictures that show them what they want since reading, as we all know, is too much of a challege for scs to begin with.

HawaiianShirts
12-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Mrs. Shirts signed on with WIC for a little while so we could get some more nutritious food for her and the little one. I think it's a great program, and we were really happy for the little bit of financial help it offered while we qualified for it. I actually found the instructional pamphlet a little insulting, though. I remember looking at it and saying, "Pictures? Really? I think I know what a gallon of milk looks like."

And most stores have the WIC-eligible items labeled with special, usually color-coded "WIC-Eligible" tags.

Yeah, the rules are strict, but we never found it that difficult (except the fruits and vegetables because we weren't totally sure which ones qualified and which did not in a store with a very large produce section).

It's sad that people have to go and ruin a helpful thing like WIC by being idiots.
Even worse when they try to blame the grocery store employees for their own idiocy.

bainsidhe
12-16-2010, 06:41 AM
It's been a year since I worked grocery/retail and dealt with any WIC transactions, so I can always hope things have changed since then. The list we used was always needlessly complicated. 2 dozen offerings for bread, twelve types of cold cereal and another ten for hot cereal, etc. I like that they offered variety, but it made things so confusing and sometimes very difficult to calculate just which brand & size of product qualified. I much preferred a limited menu, just because both cashier and customer were less confused.

Someday my state will get the debit-type WIC cards to replace the paper checks. For those retail workers out there, I hope that day is soon.

Draco
12-16-2010, 02:13 PM
See, I prefer the WIC checks personally. Yeah, it's a little bit of a hassle (I do work for a supermarket chain, btw), but I'd much rather see people get what their kids need than have a Food Stamp-esque selling problem. The checks are a lot harder for them to pawn off on others.

Good program, decent method of purchase that minimizes abuse, but sometimes users seem like the dumbest people on the planet. As Shirts said, the instructional pamphlets are "insulting" in their direct simplicity. People STILL don't understand.

*sigh* Make things more idiot proof and they go and make better idiots.

Grape The Cat
12-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Sorry you had to deal with those idiots, BV. In my local store they have big red WIC approved tags near all the WIC stuff.

XCashier
12-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I feel your pain--I got called a racist for not letting a woman get Velveeta with her WIC check.
:confused: Why would she want that muck when real cheese (WIC approved (http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefitsandservices/foodpkgregs.HTM#CHEESE_)) tastes better?

Raveni
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
perhaps wic should sent them home with a pamphlet full of pictures that show them what they want since reading, as we all know, is too much of a challege for scs to begin with.

I assume that you are being sarcastic, since that's exactly what they do.
:)

dalesys
12-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I assume that you are being sarcastic, since that's exactly what they do.
:)
Thar warn't no pikchurs on thet pamplette...

"Well, you open it and turn the pages..."

Open it? Newf angled hi tek tresh! Them Canuckians are takin over.

Turn the page? Is ya accusin me of being a congers man or sumpfin else preverted?

Sableonblonde
12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
wow, bunch of damned ingrates; free food and they still complain. how about you get NOTHING and you like it? (thank you, caddyshack)

I spent six months serving food in a homeless shelter. And the food wasn't just a bunch of stew and slop....it was prepared and delivered every day by a catering company. REALLY good stuff (my one job perk was getting to eat after everyone was served). The same kind of food that would be served at parties, weddings, etc. And still people would bitch about the food, or announce they were going to go to McDonald's instead, or sit around and discuss how they thought it could be better. Very few of the people I encountered in the shelter were grateful. Many more felt they were entitled to so much more (for free).

Man, once I was done serving and cleaning up, I tore that food UP.

chainedbarista
12-17-2010, 01:59 AM
i was, lol; i'm still amazed at how people can cock up the simplest things, but...

hell, if i had a good meal given to me, i'd be ecstatic, not critical. people cannot recognize a good thing when they have it. (mcdonald's over freshly made food that's CATERED? jebus crusted!)

Mondestrucken
12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
:confused: Why would she want that muck when real cheese (WIC approved (http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefitsandservices/foodpkgregs.HTM#CHEESE_)) tastes better?

That "reel" cheese has too much flavor. And with Velveeta, when I am bored, it sticks to the wall.

Raveni
12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I spent six months serving food in a homeless shelter. And the food wasn't just a bunch of stew and slop....it was prepared and delivered every day by a catering company. REALLY good stuff (my one job perk was getting to eat after everyone was served). The same kind of food that would be served at parties, weddings, etc. And still people would bitch about the food, or announce they were going to go to McDonald's instead, or sit around and discuss how they thought it could be better. Very few of the people I encountered in the shelter were grateful. Many more felt they were entitled to so much more (for free).

Man, once I was done serving and cleaning up, I tore that food UP.

That's a lot better than my experience. I volunteered at a shelter when I was in school, and we cooked all the food ourselves. Granted, we were all certified chefs, but I can't say that the fare was any better than what is served at the school cafeteria.

Still, it was free, and usually the only complaints were that we were slow or that there wasn't enough places to sit.

MoonCat
12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't know that using paper anything is better than the card. When our state issued paper food stamps, some recipients would try to sell some to other shoppers so they could use the cash to get things that weren't allowed on the program, like beer, cigs, etc. With the cards they have now, they can't do that.

Raveni
12-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't know that using paper anything is better than the card. When our state issued paper food stamps, some recipients would try to sell some to other shoppers so they could use the cash to get things that weren't allowed on the program, like beer, cigs, etc. With the cards they have now, they can't do that.

You underestimate the power of the SCs...

Sometimes it makes it easier, because you can give your friend your PIN and the card and they can give you cash when they get home. Almost every grocery store treats EBT just like a debit card and lets the customer swipe their own card and type their PIN in. It only gets suspicious when they forget the PIN and have to call the actual owner of the card to get it.

People still do it with strangers too. They would shop with the stranger and put everything together on the EBT, and the cash would change hands outside. Or inside if they were really bold. Sob stories about needing the cash to buy medicine for their family were common, but they always ended up coming back later that day to buy beer.

blas
12-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Quite true, I once had a coworker at the gas station who said that if I gave her $20 cash so she could buy pot, she'd let me borrow her Quest card and give me her PIN number (Wisconsin foodstamps) and I could get $20 worth of food.

But back on topic, WIC was always a pain for me, but that was also going on 8 years ago when I last dealt with it. I'm sure it's a little more simple now, but my lord, I didn't realize how hard it was to shop for milk and cheese.

Raveni
12-17-2010, 06:58 PM
The only tricky thing about it now (or at least a few months ago), is that if you ring up ONE item that is not explicitly listed on the voucher, the store will not get paid for the entire transaction.

Add to this the complication that many items like rice, beans, and bread are listed by the ounce. So if a customer brings up a 20oz loaf of bread but the voucher says 16oz, it won't work.

Some WIC transactions get well above $50, especially if baby formula is involved. So, it's not that the manager doesn't want to help the customer out. They just have to make sure that everything is done exactly by the book or the store doesn't get paid.

taxguykarl
12-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Quite true, I once had a coworker at the gas station who said that if I gave her $20 cash so she could buy pot, she'd let me borrow her Quest card and give me her PIN number (Wisconsin foodstamps) and I could get $20 worth of food.My ex-GF's real BF (long story) once offered me $80 in groceries for $40 cash--this was to finance their crack binge. Needless to say, I told him what to do with that offer. Though I have no doubt that he found a taker somewhere.

Andara Bledin
12-17-2010, 09:36 PM
With the cards they have now, they can't do that.
I had some WIC scammer trying to get me to allow them to pay for my food with their card and give them cash for it. They didn't say that outright, but I knew that WIC uses cards now (from here), so it was pretty obvious.

Needless to say, I didn't take them up on it, and I told the manager what they were up to.

^-.-^

Sapphire Silk
12-17-2010, 09:43 PM
People still do it with strangers too. They would shop with the stranger and put everything together on the EBT, and the cash would change hands outside. Or inside if they were really bold. Sob stories about needing the cash to buy medicine for their family were common, but they always ended up coming back later that day to buy beer.

Hey, beer's medicine! :D

*runs and hides*

Midnight12
12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
From last I knew as a cashier I recall looking at past and current WIC phamplets and that alot of the cold cereal had been removed from what used to be allowed and now they allow alot less. OR with Honey Kix but not regular KIX. Thats all well and fine but who carries the secondary version anymore? That and technically kids aren't supposed to have honey until a certain age due to botulism?

I kind of miss the WIC card, as it made things easier, but the vouchers are also more secure as signatures are required. Not sure about the security meassures with the card but that also means the stores that take WIC also have to get the new card reader machines that process the WIC cards and the program that goes with it. Its a good idea but for stores it creates kind of a hassle. That and the people that have it are expected to keep up with what they are allowed for those three months and not use it all up. (they were given a print out of what they get for those three months are are responsible for that one print out. or have to go back to the WIC offices to have someone read their card and print out whats left on it

Very happy that WIC is still around but sad to see that due to not just the economy but many people abusing it that WIC has had to make cutbacks with what is allowed and with its employees as well. At least in my state the have had to make budget cuts....

purplecat41877
12-18-2010, 09:59 AM
The grocery store I work at doesn't do WIC. That's because the store lost their license a few years ago.:yes:

Peppergirl
12-18-2010, 10:05 AM
The grocery store I work at doesn't do WIC. That's because the store lost their license a few years ago.:yes:

Likely because of lazy EW's and spineless management.

WIC doesn't play - or so I've heard. Even the most minute mistake will result in the stores not getting paid, and apparently some losing their license.

It should be a lesson to grocers.

Mytical
12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Ah WIC. Brings back the memories..not fond memories mind, but memories. Cashiering and WIC is a pain, and yes they are VERY strict. As for being trained on WIC .... :lol::roll::cry:. Bwahahahaha...can't breath......

Wally World has much more important things to do then train their employees on how to do ANYTHING WIC. You figure it out though. The SC's though..*sighs*...

Bella .. sorry you have to deal with the pain that is WIC..but more importantly the SC's that can come with it. MOST are ok, and understand the rules..but the ones that either don't or WON'T just want to make one :headdesk:

OfficeSlug
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Wally World has much more important things to do then train their employees on how to do ANYTHING WIC. You figure it out though. The SC's though..*sighs*...

Which is why I try not to laugh when I hear, "But I can get [that item] at WALMART?" I'm sure you can, sweety, but you're not at Walmart. Sorry.

Our computer beeps and comes up with a message, "NOT WIC APPROVED, ALLOW? Y/N?" Uh, no. Let me check the colorful brochure with pictures first. That's when the SC gets all huffy.

Sapphire Silk
12-18-2010, 03:14 PM
From last I knew as a cashier I recall looking at past and current WIC phamplets and that alot of the cold cereal had been removed from what used to be allowed and now they allow alot less. OR with Honey Kix but not regular KIX. Thats all well and fine but who carries the secondary version anymore? That and technically kids aren't supposed to have honey until a certain age due to botulism?

It's a honey flavoring. While they probably use real honey, but the time the cereal is cooked, any botulism is dead. It's RAW honey kids should not eat (which includes the kinds in most jars since honey is not pasteurized).

Why they would allow Honey Kix but not regular is surprising. Guess the government got a deal on the Honey Kix.

Midnight12
12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
It's a honey flavoring. While they probably use real honey, but the time the cereal is cooked, any botulism is dead. It's RAW honey kids should not eat (which includes the kinds in most jars since honey is not pasteurized).

Why they would allow Honey Kix but not regular is surprising. Guess the government got a deal on the Honey Kix.

Ok. Now I feel dumb there sorry. DOH

Well, from the info they give out for my state, its not a picture brochure, its a double sided book mark length thing that says what is and is not allowed I guess to save time. Its organized under each category and to help some by name brand and the varieties under name brand. weird but ok. I guess its cheaper to give those out to save money. That and Honey Kix WAS popular but I guess seasonal. Thats ok there are other varieties available.

I don't know if this is allowed with other states but Louisiana allows a Proxy, either your spouse or family member to get this if you cannot. But it has to be their authorized signature ON the folder, and notarized piece of paper they give you with each voucher set or no one else but you or the proxy can get it. Ie if both signatures are not on the blue folder they give you OR on the piece of paper required to be shown at time of purchase then its a no go.
Soy milk and Lactaid milk are allowed but you have to go through a few hoops to get the soy milk. Dr's note and proof.

Justsomegirl
12-18-2010, 03:32 PM
You know what I have found some times. There is a neibor down the street from us. He is black. Well his kids where riding 4 wheelers next to our fence. Need I say we did not like it and asked him to stop. So he called us racest. But here's another way too look at it. It is in fact not us but him. He was being racest against me becuase I'm white.

If I affened anyone I'm not trying too.

Midnight12
12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
none taken but...uhm...whats that got to do with it? just curious and trying to find the relation to the topic...
is confused now

Nayeli_Sabia
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
When I was on WIC, we were told if you don't need an item on the check/voucher, don't take it. The cost goes back to be able to help others. Makes sense, right? First time I didn't get an item(that i didn't need), the Cashier suggested I get the unneeded item and donate it.

Not really sucky, but a bit of a headdesk. Taking from someone who needs to to give it to someone who needs it.

Rapscallion
12-18-2010, 04:22 PM
You know what I have found some times. There is a neibor down the street from us. He is black. Well his kids where riding 4 wheelers next to our fence. Need I say we did not like it and asked him to stop. So he called us racest. But here's another way too look at it. It is in fact not us but him. He was being racest against me becuase I'm white.

If I affened anyone I'm not trying too.

Are you in the right thread? I'm trying to see the relevance.

Rapscallion

EvilEmpryss
12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
The honey thing is only for infants under the age of one (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854). By the time a kid is old enough to be eating solid food like cereal, the danger is past. BTW, the same restriction goes for corn syrup. I found this interesting because old recipes for baby formula that my great-grandmother shared with me included a mixture of condensed milk and corn syrup.

As for WIC, I also found the pamphlets to be insultingly stupid, especially in conjunction with the bright "WIC APPROVED" signs pasted everywhere on the shelves. Some things could get confusing (like trying to add up 24 ounces of dry cereal with no single box being over 16 ounces), but it's not rocket science.

The best solution I found for the WIC-buying dilemma: WIC stores. They stock ONLY WIC-approved items, they know exactly how to juggle the mix-and-match that occurs, they know the WIC rules backwards and forwards, and there's never any confusion about how to process the vouchers. I found one in California when I needed WIC, and it was so much easier than going to a regular store and dealing with disorganized shelves that make some products look like WIC items when they aren't, cashiers that weren't properly trained in handling WIC transactions (not their fault, just annoying), or the customers behind me who got annoyed that every single voucher was a separate transaction.

PepperElf
12-18-2010, 04:34 PM
saying that she was never going to shop here again,
so basically she's saying that she's going to make your life easier?
:devil:

Midnight12
12-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I found this interesting because old recipes for baby formula that my great-grandmother shared with me included a mixture of condensed milk and corn syrup.

As for WIC, I also found the pamphlets to be insultingly stupid, especially in conjunction with the bright "WIC APPROVED" signs pasted everywhere on the shelves. Some things could get confusing (like trying to add up 24 ounces of dry cereal with no single box being over 16 ounces), but it's not rocket science.

The best solution I found for the WIC-buying dilemma: WIC stores.

I thought it was 36 ounces..more to the varies per state adage i suppose
There...are WIC stores? oooooo
Didn't know about the corn syrup. But the last time I checked the baby food aisle there are now alot of different formulas, regular, sensitive tummys, gassy, colic, soy based and so on.

EvilEmpryss
12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I thought it was 36 ounces..more to the varies per state adage i suppose
There...are WIC stores? oooooo

It's been eight years since I last used WIC, so I may have gotten the amount wrong.

And yeah, there are WIC stores. Basically some enterprising person opens up a small storefront and stocks it only with things off of the WIC list. When someone comes in to buy something, the store owner charges the maximum allowed under WIC for the item. They make a profit by pocketing the difference. From what I understand it isn't a huge profit, and the one I went to wouldn't touch baby formula for fear of being broken into overnight, but it's enough to make a living off of in California's economy.

Nayeli_Sabia
12-18-2010, 05:04 PM
EvilEmpryss, they had them in North Carolina too, at least they did in our military town.

Sapphire Silk
12-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Are you in the right thread? I'm trying to see the relevance.

Rapscallion

I think he's wandered into Fratching territory . . . .

The honey thing is only for infants under the age of one (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854). By the time a kid is old enough to be eating solid food like cereal, the danger is past. BTW, the same restriction goes for corn syrup. I found this interesting because old recipes for baby formula that my great-grandmother shared with me included a mixture of condensed milk and corn syrup.

That's an old, old substitute for breast milk. Unfortunately, it should NEVER be given to an infant, and neither should Karo and condensed milk. It does not contain the right kinds of proteins for good brain development, nor other vital nutrients necessary for good infant nutrition.

Commercial formulas still don't get quite there either as the composition of breast milk changes to meet the needs of the growing infant.

OK, rant over :)

Kristev
12-18-2010, 09:35 PM
WIC stores sound like a wonderful idea.

chainedbarista
12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
yes, those age old 'substitutes' for formula are a really bad idea; they're lacking in the nutrition a baby needs at that stage. if not the breast, use a real formula; there are no real substitutes.

mattm04
12-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Likely because of lazy EW's and spineless management.

WIC doesn't play - or so I've heard. Even the most minute mistake will result in the stores not getting paid, and apparently some losing their license.

It should be a lesson to grocers.

A few years ago a store in our area came very close to loosing their WIC privileges after management gave into all the SCs who complained. Due to the value of the losses several heads rolled over that one.:wave:

munchkinmama
12-19-2010, 07:53 PM
in my state WIC is delivered to people's houses except for $6 on a fruit and veggie card that is nearly impossible to get right with what can be put on it.

Bella_Vixen
12-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the love, everyone!

We have to be very careful when we work with the WIC checks. Like I said, most are the same, but every once in a while they throw something unexpected into the mix. For example, most are for 36 ounces of cereal, but once in a blue moon, only 18 oz is allowed. Fun times.

On the subject of cereal, can someone explain why honey Kix are allowed, but honey nut Cheerios is not?

When they first rolled out the new format in August 2009, we actually had to get the picture sheet of approved breads from a customer. :eek: I noticed she had one when we were trying to figure out the new items, and I asked if she'd let us make a copy. The lady was thrilled to help us.

I'm still trying to recover from the day I got 14-17 WIC checks in 2 hours. I almost started crying because they are so time consuming.

HappyFun Ball
12-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Reminds me of the time I got behind a lady using a WIC check and was raising 9 kinds of Hell because she couldn't get Froot Loop or Lucky Charms with the checks.

Aethian
12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
One times when I went to WalMart at 2:30am I managed to get behind a lady getting a ubber amount of food. She was using seven different checks from the end/start of the months to try and get through one month. It seemed (we got into a conversation) that her eldest, out of the house, son would come home and devour almost a months worth of groceries in one night. Six kids not including him and while WIC was helping a bit...she's always stressed and always wonders where the next meal will come from.

Midnight12
12-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Reminds me of the time I got behind a lady using a WIC check and was raising 9 kinds of Hell because she couldn't get Froot Loop or Lucky Charms with the checks.

probably because of the sugar content over the actual nutritional value. Same with honey nut cheerios. But then This was BEFORE the lowered sugar versions of Froot Loops and I have yet to read the nutritional box on the sides of cereals so...good question BV

chainedbarista
12-19-2010, 11:19 PM
It seemed (we got into a conversation) that her eldest, out of the house, son would come home and devour almost a months worth of groceries in one night.

time to cut the imbilical cord and change the locks. unless sunny boy is contributing, no free food for you, moocher.

wic is stringent; do not challenge the forces that are wic.

Aethian
12-19-2010, 11:22 PM
time to cut the imbilical cord and change the locks. unless sunny boy is contributing, no free food for you, moocher.

wic is stringent; do not challenge the forces that are wic.

Tell me about it, but he is her baby... *shrugs* I'm thinking there is more behind the story.

Kristev
12-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Who cares about jeerios or icks? Whatever happened to plain, healthy corn flakes? Can't you get that with WIC? It's certainly a better choice than either of those others.

EvilEmpryss
12-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Those cereals aren't coated in sugar, so precious little snookums-es won't eat them. In fact, if you listen to the mothers, not only is it criminal torture to even hint that they should try, their poor little precious babies will drop over dead of apoplexy at the mere sight of the box.

Kristev
12-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Parents and kids have no imagination. Corn flakes are like vanilla ice cream; you can create all kinds of things with either one. For example, corn flakes with splenda and cinnamon. :angel: Or vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips. Or corn flakes with chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless. Now no one mention ketchup!

zombiequeen
12-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Corn flakes and vanilla soymilk=nummers! :D

My in-laws had a Bridge Card, and they were only allowed to buy me the gross brand of plain soymilk that made me sick. :( I would have had to get a doctor's note to get my brand, or even chocolate or vanilla flavors. So I said screw it and paid for it myself, because there would have been a lot of effort wasted for them to decide they didn't want to buy me soymilk at all.