PDA

View Full Version : But I'm From Oregon...

drivebythinker
09-14-2011, 02:28 AM
I'd forgotten about this dandy story of my mom's until just now.

BG: I'm sure we all know Oregon is tax exempt for sales in the state and surrounding states. My mom worked in a candy store in Colorado. Pull out your atlas we're about to have a lesson in geography.

Mm: My mom
SC: Entitled because she lives in Oregon

SC brings up several bags of candy and puts them on the counter. Mm rings them up and gives her the total.

SC: That total is wrong. I'm from Oregon.

Mm: That's nice. The total is $x

SC: That's wrong I'm from Oregon.

Mm: I'm sorry, I don't know what that has to do with your total.

SC: I'm from Oregon. I'm tax exempt.

Mm: But you're in Colorado your tax exempt status doesn't apply here.

SC: I'm tax exempt in all states that surround Oregon.

Mm::confused: Right. But you're in Colorado. Your tax exemption isn't applicable here.

SC: *whines* But I'm from Oregon.

Mm: I realize that, which is why in Oregon you would pay $y but here you pay $x. That'll be $x.

SC: pays and leaves looking disgruntled.

I never knew people considered Colorado to be one of Oregon's surrounding states. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
09-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Betcha that moron also expects other people to pump her gas for her, since you can't do it yourself in Orygun.

Andara Bledin
09-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Wow. You have to go through two states before you get to Colorado from Oregon.

What an ignoramus.

^-.-^

LadyAndreca
09-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Betcha that moron also expects other people to pump her gas for her, since you can't do it yourself in Orygun.

You can't do it in NJ, either, which made for a very irritating moment when I went on a ski trip to VT. We got to a gas station and NO ONE KNEW HOW TO PUMP GAS. Except me, because I learned to drive in AL and Dad wouldn't teach me to drive until I could pump gas/change a tire/check fluids.

I made the driver get his ass out of the car and learn, because I was NOT going to be the only person getting out of HIS car in snowy freezing weather. He was not happy with me.

Pixilated
09-14-2011, 03:16 AM

What an ignoramus.

^-.-^

Apparently she slept through that part of the trip ...

Sonoma
09-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Let me apologize for the ignoramus, on behalf of the Oregonians who appreciate having sales tax waived, but do not expect it.

If I knew who the idjit was, I'd reach into one of our rivers & grab a salmon to smack her with. :salmon:

Let me also add, I do know how to pump my own gas, and willingly do it when we travel to California, Washington, Nevada, and British Columbia.

bhskittykatt
09-14-2011, 05:07 AM
I have to deal with people from Oregon pulling this. We're in Washington, but at the motel you're paying a hospitality tax and not a sales tax. So sorry, no exemptions. (And Oregon DOES have a hospitality tax...at least Salem, OR does!) Some people throw a big stink about it.

It was so funny when Hubs moved up here. He's from Cali, by way of Oregon. He was all "I used to live in Cali before I moved to Oregon. I do know how to pump gas, you know!" Cue five minutes of him staring at the pump before making me get out of the car to help him! :lol: His argument afterward was that he never actually was old enough to pump gas when he lived in Cali....yeah, keep them excuses coming, honey! (He's so adorable!)

BeenThereDoneThat
09-14-2011, 05:42 AM
I taught myself to pump gas during my single-car, single-driver move from NJ to FL...good thing it wasn't difficult, I didn't even have to call anyone :lol:

Mongo Skruddgemire
09-14-2011, 07:20 AM
The thing that gets me about pumping gas is that no one EVER taught me how to do it.

Yet somehow I managed to figure it out the first time up at bat.

The instructions of the pump are pretty straight forward. Swipe card, remove nozzle for grade desired (or remove nozzle and push the button for desired grade) and pump fuel.

Now the instructions on the pump stop there. But it's not that hard to figure out that you open the fuel door, unscrew the cap, insert nozzle into hole and squeeze trigger.

It's not all that dissimilar to filling a water bottle with a garden hose.

Merriweather
09-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Let me apologize for the ignoramus, on behalf of the Oregonians who appreciate having sales tax waived, but do not expect it.

If I knew who the idjit was, I'd reach into one of our rivers & grab a salmon to smack her with. :salmon:

Let me also add, I do know how to pump my own gas, and willingly do it when we travel to California, Washington, Nevada, and British Columbia.

Love the salmon :roll:

Yes, please don't think all Oregonians are like the SC - we do try to keep those type out, but they do sneak in now and then. :rolleyes:

BrenDAnn
09-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Mongo, you'd be surprised at the number of times per week I have to help people pump gas. Hitting the 'Pay Inside' or 'Pay Outside' button is hard, y'know!

HappyFun Ball
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Except me, because I learned to drive in AL and Dad wouldn't teach me to drive until I could pump gas/change a tire/check fluids.

You were taught right.. I am 34 years old and I have never had to change my own tire.. Not saying that I can't or won't.. But every time I've had a flat I would get all the stuff out and start to do it and always had someone stop who would insist on doing it for me.

I wish we were tax exempt, heck I wish we had lower taxes on food.

Catwoman2965
09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm from NJ, and until I had my own car, and brought it back to school with me in MD, I had no clue how to pump gas. Anytime my family was on vacation was visiting family IN Oregon...or other states, my dad did it.

So when I got back to school, I asked one of my friends who was not from NJ very nicely if she woudl come with me the first time and show me how to pump gas. that was almost 25 years ago, and while I still live in NJ, I do travel outside, and still know how to do it!

Jay 2K Winger
09-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I think I once had a shopper from Delaware (no sales tax) try that when I was at the wholesale club.

I believe my response was on the lines of "You're in Virginia. We have a [x]% sales tax."

Fortunately, they didn't try to push the issue.

bunnyboy
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Aaaaaactually, Washington allows an out, we don't HAVE to honor their no sales tax status.

and we have about 900 things we have to do to do it.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.08.0273

So much fun.

lordlundar
09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Cue five minutes of him staring at the pump before making me get out of the car to help him! :lol: His argument afterward was that he never actually was old enough to pump gas when he lived in Cali....yeah, keep them excuses coming, honey! (He's so adorable!)

And the first thing that popped into my head was the start of the Jeff Dunham Christmas special. :p

(for the record he does a little monologue before the dolls come out. This particular one was a story of the first time his daughter had to fill up her car that his wife recorded on video. You know it's a good story when response from the wife handing over the camcorder is "you're gonna have some new stuff for your act":lol:)

Shpepper
09-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Last I knew, in Washington, the only thing that tax exempt status was good for was durable goods. If you buy food or things to consume while in the state of Washington, you get to pay the tax. That includes hotel and motel rooms. It was always so much fun telling people from Oregon that no the deli chicken they ordered was not tax free and neither was the hotel room that they were staying in. I was lucky to have had bosses that had my back and not once did they give in and make me do tax exempt.

mikoyan29
09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
How inept do you have to be in order to not be able how to figure out how to pump gas? it's not all that complicated...really. And that dude may be from Oregon but he is in whatever state he happens to be in, so screw him.

EricKei
09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Meaning no offense ^_^ But I've never even been to a "not allowed to pump your own gas" state o_O As a result, I knew how to do it before I was ten.

Anakah
09-14-2011, 11:08 PM
How do you get tax exempt?

Opalin
09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Meaning no offense ^_^ But I've never even been to a "not allowed to pump your own gas" state o_O As a result, I knew how to do it before I was ten.

Ditto here, I was actually not aware there were still states that pumped gas for you... which makes me feel a bit silly seeing as I've traveled all over the US... guess I never stopped in OR

EricKei
09-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Denial and Confusion, evidently >_>

dalesys
09-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Utah & Idaho, obviously. There's going to be a real fight about which one's which.

Kind of like the argument my dad witnessed between two missionaries with speech impediments on a bus in Manchester, England...

Over which one stuttered and which one stammered.

Cue entire staid English busload: :roll::lol::roll::lol::roll:

Kogarashi
09-15-2011, 01:33 AM

Just make sure you don't mix up the water bottle and the gas tank.

Utah & Idaho, obviously. There's going to be a real fight about which one's which.

Obviously Utah is Denial, because it thinks it's a state when it's really just a giant national park with a city at either end.* Idaho is therefore Confusion.

*My dad is from Utah, so I claim that as my license to crack jokes about the state. He retaliates with NY jokes, so fair's fair in our family.

Andara Bledin
09-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Kind of like the argument my dad witnessed between two missionaries with speech impediments on a bus in Manchester, England...
One of my friends was chastised in an English class by a teacher with a massive lazy r telling her that she must "learn to pronounce her words correctly." Said teacher never came close to pronouncing a single one of those 5 'r' sounds. :rolleyes:

^-.-^

bhskittykatt
09-15-2011, 01:38 AM
How do you get tax exempt?

The idea is that some places give you tax exempt status if you're from a state with no sales tax. Case example: Oregon has no sales tax. To attract shoppers, Washington retailers can (but are not required to) give Oregon residents tax exempt status from the Washington state sales tax. There's certain stipulations, and some paperwork, but in short that's how it works.

Sapphire Silk
09-15-2011, 01:42 AM

I'll be. I thought only Jersey was that backwards Mother May I.

Now the instructions on the pump stop there. But it's not that hard to figure out that you open the fuel door, unscrew the cap, insert nozzle into hole and squeeze trigger.

Just don't pause to take a quick sip while doing so :lol:

:spew: Shoulda seen that one coming. :lol:

But really folks, think about this a minute.

Colorado DOES "surround" Oregon. As does Texas, Illinois, North Carolina, the UK, etc.

The question is really by how far.

I think the exemption applies to contiguous states, and that is of course the point that most SC's miss. :rolleyes:

BeenThereDoneThat
09-15-2011, 04:22 AM
It's been a long time since I heard this, but I was once told that the full-serve gas prices in NJ (and presumably Oregon) were about the same as the self-serve prices in all the other states...so there is no incentive for NJ or OR to change the laws and allow self-serve. :shrug:

Sonoma
09-15-2011, 05:29 AM
It's been a long time since I heard this, but I was once told that the full-serve gas prices in NJ (and presumably Oregon) were about the same as the self-serve prices in all the other states...so there is no incentive for NJ or OR to change the laws and allow self-serve. :shrug:

Very true. We pay close to the same amount in Oregon as we do across the river in Vancouver, WA. I've never had any big gas savings either in Washington, or California.

The only time we asked for help pumping gas was at this little hole-in-the-wall gas station in Orick, CA. It had the old, non-computerized pumps. We had to go inside to pay anyway, so we asked the gal if she could come out & help. (and, it was the first time we had to gas up after crossing the border to California).

I willingly pay my sales tax & hotel taxes when we travel. The only time I've asked for my sales tax exempton was when I bought a $10k truck. I'd be paying taxes to register it in Oregon, couldn't see paying Washington taxes too.

Solumina
09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
One time, back when I was in high school, I taught a very sweet lady (I think she was from somewhere in Eastern Europe but I couldn't place her exact accent) how to pump her gas, I just happened to be at the closest pump filling up my car. I think she was more nervous about doing something wrong than unable to figure it out on her own and it was more of her just wanting to check to make sure she was doing everything right before she did it. Her English wasn't the best but she did manage to convey a very heartfelt "thank you".

drunkenwildmage
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Funny thing is I travel through Oregon all the time and ever time I stop in Oregon, I have to pay sales tax..
OH..wait.. you are talking about the STATE of Oregon..:eek:

Sorry my Bad :roll:

fireheart
09-15-2011, 02:05 PM
One of the first things my dad did with me on my learners, was show me how to fill my own car with petrol.

Ironclad Alibi
09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Utah & Idaho
Other routes from Oregon to Colorado would be through Idaho and Wyoming, and through Nevada and Utah.

taxguykarl
09-15-2011, 07:13 PM
A possible reply:

You are from Oregon; you are in Colorado...pay up.:devil:

Ironclad Alibi
09-15-2011, 08:10 PM
A possible reply:

You are from Oregon; you are in Colorado...pay up.:devil:

I prefer the reply: "This here ain't Oregon."

bunnyboy
09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Last I knew, in Washington, the only thing that tax exempt status was good for was durable goods. If you buy food or things to consume while in the state of Washington, you get to pay the tax. That includes hotel and motel rooms. It was always so much fun telling people from Oregon that no the deli chicken they ordered was not tax free and neither was the hotel room that they were staying in. I was lucky to have had bosses that had my back and not once did they give in and make me do tax exempt.

Pretty much and even then they don't HAVE to but many do especially in the southern parts that are right across from Oregon.

Furthest north I've seen it advertised was Mt. Vernon (about an hours drive north from Seattle) but yeah, not required, plus it became a big deal for some places I've worked at that they had to show their ID and not just their Lic. Plate, due to, well some folks skirting Washington's tabs by going to Oregon to get their plates.

bhskittykatt
09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Furthest north I've seen it advertised was Mt. Vernon (about an hours drive north from Seattle) but yeah, not required, plus it became a big deal for some places I've worked at that they had to show their ID and not just their Lic. Plate, due to, well some folks skirting Washington's tabs by going to Oregon to get their plates.

It goes all the way to the border, trust me. There was a big thing when BC switched to the HST. Under the law, they would have been tax exempt, which made some locals throw a sh*t that we'd be losing out on all that tax revenue. The law was revised so that the HST is now considered equivalent to a sales tax, so all the residents in HST provinces that used to qualify for the exemption no longer are in Washington. (And of course, now BC voters have overturned the HST, go figure.)

I've seen Oregonians all the way up here filling out the tax exempt paperwork for goods that totalled less than $15. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to me, but damn, they want their tax exemption!

lineswine
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Over which one stuttered and which one stammered.

Cue entire staid English busload: :roll::lol::roll::lol::roll:

One thing you'll learn pretty quickly is that in the North of England:
1) we're not stuck up &
2) If something is funny, we'll laugh - like drains.

I'm not suggesting that the further South you go is much different, but the nearer you get to London (generally) the more self-absorbed they are & therefore appear to be indifferent.

I'll now put you back to your regular programming.