PDA

View Full Version : The 80s may be coming back. How do we meet this threat?

Antisocial_Worker
08-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I've called you to this thread today to discuss a grave threat to our nation's standards of fashion and aesthetics. Yes, as we have long feared, it appears that the 1980's may, indeed, be coming back.

I base this statement on three separate sightings on a local college campus. The first was a young man wearing parachute pants, one leg of which was checkered in black and white, and the other of which had vertical black and white stripes. This young man had an expensive haircut and was visibly homosexual. He gave off shades of hipster, but did not appear to be wearing the pants ironically. He seemed to actually believe they looked good.

The second sighting was of a young black woman wearing acid-washed jeans. Like the young man, she too had an expensive haircut, and was wearing expensive jewelry and a nice blouse. The jeans were not worn ironically, and she gave off not even the merest whiff of hipster. She too apparently believed the jeans looked stylish.

The third sighting concerned an outbreak of women's flats in neon colors, following, quite literally, in the footsteps of the unfortunate trend of neon colors in men's shoes. The last time shoes like this were seen, it was on the late 80's/early 90's television show Saved by the Bell.

This can only mean that the infection has spread far faster and more widely than even our worst long-range forecasts predicted. We've had reports of 80's fashions sighted in New York and Los Angeles, as expected, but to see them in a remote corner of Appalachia this early may mean that the battle is already lost. We may be seeing the start of a global pandemic, and it may only be a matter of time before we see the return of big hair, feathered bangs, mullets, and a re-infiltration of shoulder pads into women's fashion. Our gravest fear is the return of the fanny pack.

But, my friends, is all hope lost? I say no! I say we can stand and fight! Together, we can face this threat and quash it! But we must plan, and we must strategize. We faced the return of the 70's, and endured years of bell bottomed jeans, but we overcame. We have faced the rise of the hipsters and the deluge of irony, but we are overcoming. Surely we can meet this new threat head-on.

But how, ladies and gentlemen? How?

Dasota
08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Rush in the 90's fashion. That's what I'm doing to battle the comeback of the 80's

ShinyGreenApple
08-25-2013, 04:46 PM
I too, would like to know how we can combat this. A friend of mine from SC posted a picture of some men's shorts she spotted shopping this weekend. Pastel pinks and blues. Just horrible.

XCashier
08-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Reminds me of a conversation I once had with a younger coworker. She was deriding everything about the 80s, the music, movies and fashion. Me being a child of the 80s, of course I was on the defensive.

CW: And those clothes! Neon, acid wash, what were you thinking?
ME: Say what you want about the 80s fashions, but at least our pants covered our butts!
NEARBY CUSTOMER: :lol:

So yeah, if a return to 80s fashion means the final death knoll of the pants-around-the-ass craze, welcome back! :p

Aethian
08-25-2013, 05:42 PM
So yeah, if a return to 80s fashion means the final death knoll of the pants-around-the-ass craze, welcome back! :p

And finding jeans that actually cover the rear rather then being those hard as hell to wear low riders?

EricKei
08-25-2013, 06:03 PM
*spontaneously grows an epic mullet by sheer force of will*

Coooooooooommmmmmmmmme------ joooooooin uuuuuuuuusssssssss...

MoonCat
08-25-2013, 06:21 PM
What about "fountain heads"? That's what my sisters and I called the 80's trend of teen girls getting their hair curled and pulling them up into a ponytail that was more or less on the top of their heads.

As for neon, it's a big trend right now. Even in beads. I shop for beads online and there's a lot of neon ones now.

gremcint
08-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Jester
08-25-2013, 07:31 PM
STOP IT BEFORE IT GETS TO THE CHILDREN!!!

DGoddessChardonnay
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
The parachute pants I can deal with, it's the damn leg warmers I never could understand.

For someone like me with large calves and no ankles to speak of, those only made them look 100% larger!:eek: :runaway:

Still have an early 80's electric typerwriter, my 70's Fisher stereo system and am dusting off my old stories to finish up finally (and they take place around 1982-1984.)

For some of us, the 80's never completely left.:D

Cookie
08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Oh gosh, yeah. This has been creeping in. Block colors have been back for a while and I have friends going berserk over harem pants, which are an abomination. Parachute pants are kind of a subset of harem pants, but the other kind are worse. If you're not sure what these are, do a quick google image search and don't say I didn't warn you. They are baggy to the knee where they suddenly hug close like leggings the rest of the way down. Seriously, the crotch hangs to the knees in some cases.

I was kind of evil when I store I "like" on Facebook posted a pic of them and asked for opinions. I said I couldn't see any use for them unless someone wanted to give birth and keep walking. :devil:

I've been seeing more blue eyeshadow, but not quite in the "icing on a cake" thickness from that era. Denim jackets are on the rise. Thankfully I haven't been seeing massive hairdos.

Sunshine
08-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Sorry jester...my bebe and her friends are already fans of neon and such. Its hard for me because i didnt like that crap the first time around!! I do miss low rise pants but thats because, for once, my jeans fit off the rack!! Damn short genes

AnaKhouri
08-25-2013, 08:32 PM
I have personally seen horrid neon colors, those off-the-shoulder shirts (in neon colors), giant earrings, side ponytails on people older than 10, and a couple of flat-tops. No leg warmers, tight-rolled jeans or wet-look moussed hair though, thank God. The Claw bangs haven't been seen either except in certain locations where it never really seemed to go away.

NorthernZel
08-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Phew. Over here, the only '80s fad is the return of basketball shoes (which I think are cool - just got a pair for Lil' Zel).

Otherwise, I surely don't hope that claw bangs and/or adult bodystockings get a revival. *shudder*

Der Cute
08-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I wondered if I was seeing ghosts. I saw 2 mullets within 24 hours! Aaaaa

XCashier
08-26-2013, 01:55 AM
I wondered if I was seeing ghosts. I saw 2 mullets within 24 hours! Aaaaa
Are you kidding? In some areas, the mullet never went away! :runaway:

Let's be fair, though: in pretty much every era (except maybe the 1940s) there have been horrible fashions. That's just the way things are. And when each age group hits the midlife years, they do long for the way things were when they were teenagers. To their minds, things were simpler and more fun back then (never mind how things actually were).

There were good things about the eighties too; I personally preferred the brighter, cheerier colors to the obnoxious yet drab (http://www.lileks.com/institute/interiors/index.html) colors and styles of the seventies (http://www.lileks.com/institute/70s/index.html) . I also enjoyed the music, and the movies were some of the best ever. :)

Jay 2K Winger
08-26-2013, 02:00 AM
The best thing that came out of the 80s was me.

1981 REPRESENT!

Greenday
08-26-2013, 02:03 AM
God I can't wait until 90s skater fashion becomes trendy again. I love my baggy pants (That still cover my ass) and t-shirts. Short of skating sneakers, I still dress like this when I can. Since I'm not trying to impress anyone when I go out, this is what I wear 95% of the time. Finding comfy, baggy jeans is tough these days. At least they've moved away from the tiny ankle holes in jeans.

protege
08-26-2013, 03:03 AM
For some of us, the 80's never completely left.:D

Yep, still stuck in the past here too. My music collection stops roughly around 1990; there's a 1970s car in the garage; my kitchen is slowly being remade into a 1950s-style diner. As for 1980s fashions, I'm staying as far away from that shit as I can--I didn't like it then, and even less now.

Gerrinson
08-26-2013, 03:53 AM
I just say a guy today who was straight from the 80's - acid wash jeans, denim jacket, and big spiky hair-band style platinum blonde hair.

Draper Mel
08-26-2013, 04:00 AM
I hate to say it, but it's been coming back for the past year or two. I've seen jeans printed with huge cabbage roses, checkered prints on things, houndstooth, Ray Ban sunglasses, neon colors. I've also seen skinny jeans with zippers at the ankles, though thanks to the modern invention of stretch denim, these aren't as necessary as they were in the 80s.

The worst is seeing these things on kids and thinking "You weren't even ALIVE when that was a thing!"

Food Lady
08-26-2013, 04:55 AM
I, for one, like the 70s stuff. But I think we should bring back the 90s fashions, that period in the middle (I think) when the designers were weaving elements of the 20s, like cloche hats, into ensembles with a 70s feel. Or whatever they wore during the first couple of seasons of Friends.

Dentarthurdent
08-26-2013, 07:55 AM
I have friends going berserk over harem pants, which are an abomination. Parachute pants are kind of a subset of harem pants, but the other kind are worse. If you're not sure what these are, do a quick google image search and don't say I didn't warn you. They are baggy to the knee where they suddenly hug close like leggings the rest of the way down. Seriously, the crotch hangs to the knees in some cases.

As a former and future SCAdian, those are not harem pants as I know them. The harem pants I used to have had elastic cuffs for the legs, and an elastic waistband, and everything else was loose, flowy cotton. They were the most comfortable pants I have ever owned, even more comfortable than my old army pants. They look kinda like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Belly-Dance-Dancer-ATS-SCA-Harem-Pants-Faire-Gypsy-Tribal-Pirate-/00/s/NTYyWDQwNQ==/z/7GkAAOxypthRp1W6/$%28KGrHqV,!ocFCrGL0ZRoBRp1W5o07g~~60_35.JPG (I apologize for not knowing how to do inline links...at least I think that's what they're called)

That being said, I would not wear them for anything other than pajamas or bumming around late at night at SCA events.

sms001
08-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Reminds me of a conversation I once had with a younger coworker. She was deriding everything about the 80s,

My convo's w/ the tweeners are just the opposite. I'll see some 80's retro fashion abomination and chide them with "You know, when we did that, we really didn't know any better. But you HAVE PICTURES of your parents wearing that!"

:lol:

Geek King
08-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Heck with the fashion, I've been loving the power metal revolution going on in Europe for the last few years. Pre-hair band-style metal? I can't throw the horns fast enough! :super:

NateTheChops
08-27-2013, 12:09 AM
I for one can confirm that the 80's will come back... in another seventy years.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-27-2013, 02:48 AM
I've noticed birkenstocks and socks are making a comeback.

I did this in high school and college; don't really think I want to do that again. But I still dress like a college student so who knows?

Jester
08-27-2013, 03:11 AM
I have personally seen horrid neon colors, those off-the-shoulder shirts (in neon colors), giant earrings, side ponytails on people older than 10, and a couple of flat-tops. No leg warmers, tight-rolled jeans or wet-look moussed hair though, thank God. The Claw bangs haven't been seen either except in certain locations where it never really seemed to go away.

Okay, I won't lie.....I was a fan of the off the shoulder shirts and side ponytails then, and I am now. I find both to be hot. While some things should never come back, these were both very hot looks.

DeltaSierra
08-27-2013, 06:16 AM
I've started noticing neon making a big comeback and all the poor 80's child inside me can do is curl up in a ball and whimper.

Jester
08-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Hey, maybe the music will start improving...

DaDairyDruid
08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
we could always find the copper, jade, and crystal keys, clear the gates and defeat the sixers. that should help right?

DGoddessChardonnay
08-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey, maybe the music will start improving...

True. The 80's didn't get any better than this for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4Y47esGjY

:D

auntiem
08-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Okay, I won't lie.....I was a fan of the off the shoulder shirts and side ponytails then, and I am now. I find both to be hot. While some things should never come back, these were both very hot looks.

My Dad would never ever let me wear a side ponytail - at the time I didn't understand. Hmmm - off to look for pictures of my Mom when she was 16 to see if she ever sported one :)

For the record - I was in high school in the early 80's in a place that was about a decade behind the times so the "punk look" was our 80's fashion. I can live with that coming back no problem. Well, except for the modification of the Levi's (buy the shrink to fits - wash them twice - then the third time peg them really tight - wash and wear the wet jeans so the last round of shrinking turns them into second skin). I still have my crimper - maybe I could use that again.

ETA - I do actually miss my long black skirt and big shirt (new wave) dancing outfit.

Ok, now off to go listen to my 80's Left of the Dial box set....

sms001
08-29-2013, 01:24 AM

Power Pop at its finest. But you can't throw Belinda at Jester, you know his heart belongs to Ann & Nancy.

Food Lady
08-29-2013, 05:01 AM
A low side pony is fine. One that appears to stick straight out of your head is not.

Cookie
08-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I wore the side ponies! Loved them as a kid, although a high side pony swinging over my ear made eating hard as it kept flopping forward. I think it's cute on kids, though.

I'm anti-most 80s fashions, but I will TOTALLY wear the off the shoulders tops given the chance. As long as they're not working in some crazy 80s color pattern or something.

DGoddessChardonnay
08-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Power Pop at its finest. But you can't throw Belinda at Jester, you know his heart belongs to Ann & Nancy.

True but I did enjoy quite a bit of Ann & Nancy back in those days as well, throw in some Stevie Nicks and shake, not stir.:p:lol:

Jester
08-29-2013, 10:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4Y47esGjY

:D

I LOVE The Go-Go's. I was so completely bummed when they broke up. And not seeing them live in my life is one of my biggest musical disappointments. Along with, in no particular order, The Who, Tom Petty, Meat Loaf, Jimmy Buffett, and Melissa Etheridge. I've seen just about every other act that I've wanted to see, of the ones that I could have seen in my lifetime. Obviously, some acts I was unble to see in my lifetime, such as The Doors, Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix, so I don't really have regrets per se about not having seen them.

Well, except for the modification of the Levi's (buy the shrink to fits - wash them twice - then the third time peg them really tight - wash and wear the wet jeans so the last round of shrinking turns them into second skin).

I still vividly remember my older sister in the early Eighties struggling on her bed to get into her ridiculously tight jeans. Usually took her about fifteen minutes to finally get them in. My father and I laughed our asses off at her.

But you can't throw Belinda at Jester, you know his heart belongs to Ann & Nancy.

Not so fast, my friend. As noted above, I am a huge Go-Go's fan. And when Belinda posed in Playboy and none of my friends told me about it, and I didn't find about about it until about eight months after the fact, I was so PISSED at them for not having mentioned it. Because, let's face it, Belinda is a mega-babe. Yes, you CAN throw her at me. Would I take Nancy over her? Well, duh....Nancy is my Personal Goddess. But would I say no to Belinda? Not in this lifetime!

A low side pony is fine. One that appears to stick straight out of your head is not.

You get the right girl wearing it, it works.

True but I did enjoy quite a bit of Ann & Nancy back in those days as well, throw in some Stevie Nicks and shake, not stir.:p:lol:

Hell yeah! There are very few things hotter in this world than Stevie Nicks in her prime singing "Rhiannon."

Sunshine
08-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Cookie in my lane bryant catalogue there was a shirt that had zippers on the sleeves that made it look off the shoulder. It was pretty.

wolfie
08-31-2013, 04:50 AM
Saw in the paper that they're bringing back another thing from the '80s - coloured toilet paper.:eek: Of course, I remember it being from at least as far back as the '70s, and it was pastel colours - this stuff is really bright.

Dreamstalker
08-31-2013, 01:13 PM
I saw a ridiculous amount of neon (sneakers and shirts) yesterday :runaway:

DGoddessChardonnay
09-01-2013, 04:34 AM
Saw in the paper that they're bringing back another thing from the '80s - coloured toilet paper.:eek: Of course, I remember it being from at least as far back as the '70s, and it was pastel colours - this stuff is really bright.

Somehow I think that'll lose its luster once it's been used.:eek::p

Food Lady
09-05-2013, 07:23 AM
I will forever be a Stevie fan, though I didn't know about her until the 90s. What was I listening to in the 80s?

Trixie
09-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Recently I spent an entire evening watching music videos from the 80s. Most of the music still sounded good but the videos....no.

As far as the fashion goes that is when I fell in love with the layered look or least with shirts that made it look like you were wearing two. Yes, fashion forward was I. And I did love the bright colors, maybe like one step below the neon shades. I tried out a side ponytail once and my head just felt off balance the whole time.

I guess there's some stuff I wouldn't mind coming back or maybe I'm just want to feel nostalgic.

Jester
09-06-2013, 04:03 AM
I will forever be a Stevie fan, though I didn't know about her until the 90s. What was I listening to in the 80s?

Clearly inferior music.

Recently I spent an entire evening watching music videos from the 80s. Most of the music still sounded good but the videos....no.

Most of the videos were crap, sure, but there were some truly great ones. Off the top of my head, I can clearly remember genius in the videos for Duran Duran's "Wild Boys," Pat Benatar's "Shadows of the Night," and Stevie Nicks's "Stand Back," especially once David Letterman started incessantly playing a provocative clip from it until her lawyers told him in no uncertain terms to knock it off. (He read the letter on the air, as I recall.) Of course, my fascination with that last one may reflect less on its artistic genius and more on my going through puberty around that time. :rolleyes:

Der Cute
09-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Oh god. Yesterday, a side ponytail on tv news broadcast. And 2 mullets again today, separate. Ack!

sms001
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Stevie Nicks's "Stand Back," especially once David Letterman started incessantly playing a provocative clip from it...

Post is pointless w/o pics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSKeCvSCpw).

Dat hair! Dem dancers! (Actually, I'd forgotten about the skinny, twice around belts, lol.) Must be missing the provocative part though, no twerking anywhere. :rolleyes:

...until her lawyers told him in no uncertain terms to knock it off.

Which they later denied, and Stevie did several gigs on TLS after, iirc.

violiavampyr
09-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I saw a pair of acid wash and a pair of flower print jeans on campus the other night. I wanted to ask them, "do you know what you're doing?"

Aethian
09-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I never minded the flower print jeans when they were hand made designs. Some of them can look quite cute until they artist goes a bit over board.

Trixie
09-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Jester, I'm there with you on Duran Duran. Their videos were some of my favorites. I think I just managed to hit a bunch of dud videos on my evening of watching.

This is the one that started my downward spiral.

http://youtu.be/WkZFvcJbiio

And I still like the song in cheesy, nostalgic kind of way. :p

XCashier
09-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Oh, it's an enjoyable song, even if the video is rather cheesy.

Heck, that sums up the 80s pretty much; cheesy, but enjoyable. :cool:

Jester
09-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Post is pointless w/o pics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSKeCvSCpw).

Dat hair! Dem dancers! (Actually, I'd forgotten about the skinny, twice around belts, lol.) Must be missing the provocative part though, no twerking anywhere. :rolleyes:

Yes, you are missing the provocative part. And not because your applying 2013 standards to 80s music videos. No, it's more because I had the wrong damn song.

You were right, I should have posted a link to pictures or videos. I didn't. You did. And I watched it for nostalgia...and then realized I had the wrong video, and probably the wrong song.

So then I thought, "Okay, if it's not Stand Back (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwdDVZsz2es&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbwdDVZsz2es), it's gotta be Talk To Me (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXv5yTG4oRo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpXv5yTG4oRo), right?

Well, no. Confused, scratching my head, I engaged my mighty Google Fu, and found this awesome video montage (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwqs1bDCnw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmKwqs1bDCnw) of several of the episodes involving Dave mentioning Stevie and her management team. Most of which I remember seeing at the time, even if I misremembered the song. But I KNEW what the video looked like, and having not seen it in either of the songs I had thought it was, immediately recognized it here. (I highly recommend watching the entire montage, as it's hilarious.)

And, as is often the case, reality corrected memory, and I realized that the video in question was, in fact, from I Can't Wait (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmwFtOJaOcA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcmwFtOJaOcA).

Provocative by 2013 standards? Clearly not.
Provocative by 1980s standards? Well....still, not really. I mean, this WAS the age of Madonna, after all!
But again, I was a teenage boy. Home. Alone. Late at night. With Dave as my companion. You better bet your Uncle Reggie's porn stash it caught my attention.

And on a completely different note, what the HELL was with Stevie's obsessions with stairs and ramps in these videos?!?!? :headscratch:

Which they later denied, and Stevie did several gigs on TLS after, iirc.

Management teams, publicists, and the like, have often denied previous actions, or acted in ways detrimental to their clients, without any clue that they are doing so. This is why they are referred to as "management" and not as "talent."

Jester, I'm there with you on Duran Duran. Their videos were some of my favorites. I think I just managed to hit a bunch of dud videos on my evening of watching.

I REFUSE to watch that video, as I have never seen it, and hold that song in a by special place in my heart. And if it's as cheesy as you say, I will not have my mental musical vault defiled, even if it is something done by and sanctioned by the same band that made the song in question.

Some things you've just got to keep sacred. :yes:

Trixie
09-07-2013, 05:13 AM
I REFUSE to watch that video, as I have never seen it, and hold that song in a by special place in my heart. And if it's as cheesy as you say, I will not have my mental musical vault defiled, even if it is something done by and sanctioned by the same band that made the song in question.

Some things you've just got to keep sacred. :yes:

I can certainly respect you for that, sir. :salute: Any video from when MTV was just hitting it's stride and bands just tried to copy whatever was popular at the time fits my example just as well. Which I guess hasn't changed all that much over time.

XCashier
09-08-2013, 03:04 AM
And on a completely different note, what the HELL was with Stevie's obsessions with stairs and ramps in these videos?!?!? :headscratch:
I'd guess it's due to her discomfort about her height. According to her Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Nicks):
Standing at 5 feet 1 inch (1.55 m), Nicks has stated she felt a little ridiculous standing next to the much taller Mick Fleetwood.[67] For this reason she developed a penchant for 6-inch (15 cm) platform boots. "Even when platforms went completely out of style, I kept wearing them because I didn't want to go back to being 5 feet 3 inches (1.60 m) in heels", she told Allure magazine in 1995.

lordlundar
09-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Some aspects of it I can embrace (media mainly), others should be buried, the land burned and then salted. (ie: fashion and politics):D