PDA

View Full Version : No we don't sell beer; or odd liquor laws and SCs

alphaboi
07-24-2006, 06:43 AM
I work in a supermarket. I'm well aware that most states grocery stores can sell beer (including NYS, only 30 mins away). But this is PA and we have some bizarre idiotic liquor laws. During fireworks season we get alot of customers from the Empire State buying fireworks. I've lost tract of how many times I've had a conversation like this;

C: Excuse me, where's your beer?
Me: This is PA we don't sell beer.
C: Huh, what do you mean you don't sell beer?
Me: It's state law, if you wan't to buy beer you have to go to a case distributer or a bar/deli.
C: That's dum.

Sometimes it's not beer, but wine or liquor. I once tried to explain our system of state stores to a couple visiting from Nevada (where you can get it anywhere). Or "non-alcoholic" beer and wine; since it sill has .5 ABV you need to be 21 to buy it. For a while corporate decided to extend the age restriction to things such as grape juice and apple cider:confused: ! That was fun. Or the manager who decided we wouldn't sell drink mixers to anyone under 21.

Lace Neil Singer
07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I work in a supermarket, and our licencing laws are as follows; no alcohol sold before 8 or after 11. We open at 7am every day but Sunday, and close at 10 every day but Sunday. The fun really starts at Christmas when we have extending opening hours, and divvy customers think they can come in after 11 and buy booze. :rolleyes:

SteverinoNY
07-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Our Rules regarding beer and mixers are even better in my store. Due to several failed stings (how hard is it to ID someone?), all supervisors need to approve all beer sales. WTF. So annoying. I'll go into more detail in a later post, but its so frustrating to get yelled at because of someone else's stupidity.

Greenday
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
From what I am to understand about New Jersey's laws, the only two laws about alcohol that I know about are you can't sell it to someone under 21 and you can't serve alcohol on Sundays until after noon.

And why is it, in PA, that beer and liqour stores are different? Is that some silly law too?

alphaboi
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
...And why is it, in PA, that beer and liqour stores are different? Is that some silly law too?

The only "liquor stores" in PA are the government-run Wine & Spirits Shoppes (http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/). They have a total monopoly on the sale of hard liquor and a near-total monopoly on the sale of wine (wineries can sell their own product). They are staffed by civil servants (from what I hear it's a very cushy job). If you want to buy beer you have 2 choices; go to case distributer where you must buy by the case or keg, or go to a bar, deli, or restaurant that sells six-packs. But you can only buy 2 six-packs at a time; so you need to buy them, step outside the door, hand them to a friend, and go back inside. It's a stupid system, but it's not going to change any time soon.

PuckishOne
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
And why is it, in PA, that beer and liqour stores are different? Is that some silly law too?
Here in Washington, you can't buy beer and liquor at the same store, either, although only the liquor stores are state-regulated. For beer you just go to any supermarket or convenience store, provided you do so before the cutoff time (can't remember exactly, but I think it's something like midnight) - after that time the stores pull/cover/lock up the beer.

And we're now flirting with having some of those state-run stores open on Sundays, after who-knows-how-long with the blue laws.

Anybody know where it is that they have the drive-up windows on the liquor stores? I want to say Texas, but I'm not sure...

trunks2k
07-24-2006, 06:18 PM
The only "liquor stores" in PA are the government-run [URL="http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/"] It's a stupid system, but it's not going to change any time soon.

It's changed a bit, didn't they just allow cases to be sold on sundays?

toolbert
07-24-2006, 06:54 PM
that PA law threw me off when I visited a good friend of mine in Pittsburg last year. he sent me out to go get some beer, but neglected to tell me the law that was in place. when I went to local supermarket I was totally stumped. I must of looked like a bafoon trying to find the beer in the one place I always knew it to be...not in the hotdog place that was located near the university. after it got cleared up I was still confused, but I accepted it. luckily there aren't a whole lot of people getting busted for brewing their own beer around there =3.

alphaboi
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
It's changed a bit, didn't they just allow cases to be sold on sundays?

Yeah, but only between noon and 5pm. PALCB is also alowed to open 10% of it's stores on Sunday. The entire idea of a state monopoly is f_cked up.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
There's no such laws in Wisconsin. Liquor and beer are sold right in grocery stores. No state-run liquor stores or blue laws.

Is it any wonder we're a bunch of drunks?:p

Crosshair
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Thank goodness I live in North Dakota. Some places say, "A chicken in every pot." Here in ND it is, "A keg in every corner." OK so I made that last one up, but it isn't far from the truth.:D The best thing to do is have 6 people with cell phones go to different liquor stores in town and everyone buying X alcohol at whatever store had it the cheapest.

Dreamstalker
07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Anybody know where it is that they have the drive-up windows on the liquor stores? I want to say Texas, but I'm not sure...
NM, I think (at least they were mentioned in the drunk-driving video training I had to do to get my permit the first time). Never seen one in person however.

I wouldn't be too surprised if TX had them as well, though.

Kelshir
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Texas has a lot of them, especially east Texas.

Greenday
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Hm, apparently there are also pharmacies in other states that sell beer and/or alcohol? I once had a customer come in and asked where our beer was. I told him we don't sell beer and he got pissed off and was ranting about how none of the pharmacies in the area have beer. Why the hell didn't he just try a liqour store is beyong me.

Cia
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM

South Dakota but the only liquor store with a drive-up window that I can think of is Canyon Lake Liquors. It might be the only one in the state for all I know.

Lousiana has drive-thru liquor stores - you literally drive through the building. When I was living down there they didn't even have an open container law.

Brighid45
07-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Try explaining to your visiting out-of-state friends that you're stopping at a restaurant with a bar so you can pick up some wine coolers. (Yeah, I live in Pennsy.) You pay through the nose for them there too! :cry:

When I lived in Missouri a few years ago, you couldn't buy any alcohol on Sunday mornings until 11 a.m. :rolleyes:

PuckishOne
07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Lousiana has drive-thru liquor stores - you literally drive through the building. When I was living down there they didn't even have an open container law.
That might be what I was thinking of. I only remembered that it was somewhere in the south. Thanks! :)

No open-container law?? Wow. :confused: Don't get me wrong, I'm a good drinker myself, but generally speaking I can stand to put it in the back of the car until I get home. The one time I didn't - I couldn't, there was too much crap jammed into my vehicle (which is a sport-utility wagon, so no trunk per se) - I think I obeyed every single traffic sign all the way home. :angel: :devil:

JoeKnows
07-24-2006, 10:56 PM
There's no such laws in Wisconsin. Liquor and beer are sold right in grocery stores. No state-run liquor stores or blue laws.

Is it any wonder we're a bunch of drunks?:p

I blame the SC's, myself. :)

HYHYBT
08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Anybody know where it is that they have the drive-up windows on the liquor stores? I want to say Texas, but I'm not sure...I don't know whether they sell liquor or only beer, never having had an interest in purchasing either, but the fairly small Georgia town I live in has at least two. One is at the end of Hospital Road :)

MadMike
08-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Hmm, I wonder how I missed this thread before?

I'm from PA myself, and I agree with the customer -- that is stupid that supermarkets and the like can't sell beer. But there's nothing you can do about that. Some customers seem to think that we, the lowly retail workers, can just wave our magic wands and change the laws, prices, physical limitations, etc.

On a side note, I used to think that alcohol sales were regulated the same way everywhere. It wasn't until I was 17 that I found out otherwise, when I was taking a trip to Canada with my dad and his then-girlfriend, and we stopped by a 7-11 in New York on the way, and I saw beer, wine coolers, etc.

AFpheonix
08-17-2006, 05:42 PM
We can get beer and wine from grocery stores, but you have to go to state liquor stores to get anything more amusing in Oregon.

It blew my mind in Tulsa when I was there last month. Not only did they not have any decent dairy or fresh produce offerings in the several grocery stores we went to, but you had to get wine from the liquor stores. Living in a wine-snob area like Washington and Yamhill counties are, we're used to a huge selection at home. There was hardly anything at the liquor store :(

Titi
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM

I can top that in TX, when I lived there, the next town over had a store called Daquari Express, and they had a drive-thru and would make you a frozen mixed drink, to go! (and yes they were alcoholic, I had some. Coworker brought them in for us one night. (I actually did wait until I got home, other co-worker didn't) Plain unmarked cups with lids and straws.)

cougar_guy04
08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
There are at least two drive through liquor stores in my hometown in Illinois . . . then again, I come from a backwoods redneck town in IL too.

jnd4rusty
08-17-2006, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Cia;8501]South Dakota but the only liquor store with a drive-up window that I can think of is Canyon Lake Liquors. It might be the only one in the state for all I know.

There is a drive up liquor store on Easr North street also..it is on the corner of East North and Lacrosse..on the right hand side if you are heading to Wally's on Lacrosse. Its in that motel complex. No I have never gone there..I just noticed it when I was waiting for the light to change. I thought it was quite weird!! Expecially when you want to eliminate drinking and driving..and then some brainless twit says.."oh let's have drive thru liquor stores"

PuckishOne
08-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Living in a wine-snob area like Washington and Yamhill counties are, we're used to a huge selection at home.
OT: Living in Seattle as long as I have, I find myself involuntarily sneering at any store cooler with fewer than 20 microbrews on offer. :rolleyes: Yes, I am a Beer Snob. :lol:

[/hijack]

Okay, seriously, people...not only drive-through liquor stores, but drive-through drinks as well?? :eek: Wow. Just wow.

Tanasi
08-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Here in Tennessee you need a rather large book to hold all the liquor, wine, and beer laws because they differ from county to county and city/township to city/township. Some counties are dry, in that they don't sell any beer, wine nor liquor, some counties allow beer but not liquor and wine. Now dig this the county in which Jack Daniels is distilled is dry and AFAIK there is no plans to change that.
The state regulates liquor and wine, the counties regulate beer, and some cities also have beer boards. All citys and town can regulate business hours.
You can only buy liquor at liquor store, you can only buy wine at winerys or liquor stores, liquor stores can not sell beer nor can wineries. Grocery stores can sell beer but not all do. Micro-brew stuff is few and far between.
Now all that being typed I don't like beer, never have never will. What I do like is very expensive so I make it myself. I currenty have two batches of mead and about soon when the apples and peaches some in I'll be making some hard cider and hard peach necter. I don't like apricots. I've been know to make some wine but I'm not crazy about it. Now I'll neither confirm nor deny having a still. I am a hillbilly after all.:wave:

cheese
08-18-2006, 09:41 AM
UK alcohol laws are great.. in that there aren't really any :lol:
Pretty much anywhere can sell alcohol.. theres now 24 hour drinking (so now our store can serve alcohol any time we're open) and of course, you only need to be 18! You can also have beer/cider/wine with a meal in a pub/resturant when you are only 16 :)

RecoveringKinkoid
08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I think it's ironic as all get out the the PA liquor laws are what they are. There is a two week long SCA event in PA (in fact, it is going on as I type and I am missing it :cry: because I am a new mom :D )

To say a booze is consumed there is an understatement. In fact, one place I have bought a keg from says they could close shop for the rest of the year and still stay in business on just what they make in August. At this thing booze is a valuable commodity...it's been used as currency, no lie (we had a smith fix our wagon for a case of black and tans once.)

So the difficulty in getting it up is what I have always was an ironic twist (probably, that's why we CAN use it for currency. It's like cigs in a prison.)

Booze is the only consumable I shlep to PA. I buy it down here, where there is a "package" store on every street corner, beer and wine in every grocery store, and a large distributor with two stores right here in town that have GREAT prices.

(More irony...I frequently return from this thing with MORE booze than when I started out. Our Christmas party is partly fuelled by "Pennsic Booty", leftover booze from our August vacation. )

My experience with booze in PA has always been while I couldn't buy it, I sure had enough of it fall right into my lap. :lol:

Tria
08-18-2006, 06:01 PM

Got some here in Illinois.

LostMyMind
08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
There is one not too far from my house.

PhotoChick
08-18-2006, 11:26 PM
There's also a chain in North Carolina called Brew-Thru... I first saw it when I was about 10, it was a cool concept even then.

Caveat Emptor
08-19-2006, 04:32 PM
I live in NY, and went to college in PA. I found it interesting that you had to go to a state store in PA to buy beer, but I never (and still haven't) bought alcohol at a store, so it didn't phase me. What I found interesting was the first time I went to Florida and saw wine in the supermarket, asked my mom why they sold it there and in NY they didn't, and was told about the law. I thought it was the "NY" way everywhere until that moment. I beleive they're loosening it a bit now, but for the longest time you couldn't buy alcohol (blue laws) in NY, IIRC, between 2am and 8am on a weekday or before 12noon on Sunday.

Last year, there was a change in the law regarding direct shipment of wine from wineries to consumers here in NYS. I believe, from how I understand it, in early 2005 the NYS Supreme Court ruled that the existing ban on out of state wineries shipping directly to NYS consumers was in violation of law forbidding restriction of trade. Then the NY wineries got in on it, because they were forbidden from direct shipment to consumers within NYS, and the ruling meant that Out of state wineries could ship to NY residents but IN state wineries STILL could not, so in August THAT law was changed to make it fair.

Pagan
08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
NM, I think (at least they were mentioned in the drunk-driving video training I had to do to get my permit the first time).

Nope, haven't had 'em for years. This is one of the band-aids they've come up with for our drunk driving problems. The state legislature misses the logic train on occasion. Sure, you have to park your car and go in the store, but there's still nothing stopping you from opening it up once you get back to your car! Not surprisingly, we still have horrific, deadly crashes involving drunks. Yeah, getting rid of drive-up windows has helped a lot! Gee, how 'bout actually punishing the drunk drivers! Ok, I'll stop here and not go on a days-long rant about drunk drivers. ;)

I know we still have the restriction that alcohol can't be sold until after noon on Sunday and I think we still have one for no alcohol sales on Election Day. Friends don't let friends vote drunk, I guess! :lol:

COMINATCHA
08-21-2006, 01:34 AM
The idea of a supermarket selling alcohol seems weird to me. We have to go to a liquor store to get alcohol, alot of which are drive-through.

DistantStar
08-21-2006, 04:52 PM
I had a customer complain to me that we don't sell liquor, because another local one does. Turned out the one that does is across the river in another parish. (Yes, I live in Louisiana. The northern part.) They must have different licensing laws or something, I guess. He didn't seem to understand the concept.

In this parish, you can buy beer and wine on Sunday but no hard liquor. It makes no sense to me because I can get just as drunk on beer as I can on Southern Comfort if I so desire. Not that I do desire more than once in a blue moon, mind you, but it just takes more beer to do the job!

I will never forget when my SO and I went over to a nearby liquor store on a Sunday not long after we moved here and found the stuff he really wanted physically gated off. That's when we found out about the rules. It hadn't even occurred to us that Sunday might make a difference, I guess that's what time in New Orleans will do to you!

ginlyn32
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
I work in a supermarket. I'm well aware that most states grocery stores can sell beer (including NYS, only 30 mins away). But this is PA and we have some bizarre idiotic liquor laws. During fireworks season we get alot of customers from the Empire State buying fireworks. I've lost tract of how many times I've had a conversation like this;

C: Excuse me, where's your beer?
Me: This is PA we don't sell beer.
C: Huh, what do you mean you don't sell beer?
Me: It's state law, if you wan't to buy beer you have to go to a case distributer or a bar/deli.
C: That's dum.

Sometimes it's not beer, but wine or liquor. I once tried to explain our system of state stores to a couple visiting from Nevada (where you can get it anywhere). Or "non-alcoholic" beer and wine; since it sill has .5 ABV you need to be 21 to buy it. For a while corporate decided to extend the age restriction to things such as grape juice and apple cider:confused: ! That was fun. Or the manager who decided we wouldn't sell drink mixers to anyone under 21.

Ours was this:

SC walks in and looks for "cold Beer"

comes over and asks ME why we don't have Cold Beer. Heck, I don't know! Don't ask me!

I ask Manager and he says it's cause in IN, they can't sell cold beer in grocery stores. Only in Liquire Stores.

Here in GA it's a whole different story. Grocery stores can sell cold beer. BUT you have to go to a Liquire store to buy the hard stuff.

Or when I worked at a convienence store, ppl would walk in and look around and say "where's your cold beer?" Um....we don't have it! WHY?? Not licensed i guess....

TruthHurts
08-22-2006, 11:59 PM
I spent a majority of my life in Washignton State where the only place you could get hard alcohol was in a liquor store. Imagine my surprise when I moved to California and found grocery stores selling hard A.

Even though I've been here a year it still startles me to see it beign sold in Rite-Aid and appearing in grocery store adverts.

Pagan
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM
See, I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that you have to go to a liquor store to buy the hard stuff! I can walk across the street to Sunflower Market and get it. We've got in just about all the grocery stores, I think even the Super Wal-Mart (not sure about that). Cold beer, wine coolers (and all the other varieties), wines. The only ones who don't carry it are the ones that are "morally" against it. Just what, exactly is the reasoning to have it in a separate store? :confused:

Misanthropical
08-23-2006, 03:57 PM
When we moved to PA, I asked the cashier at the store where the wine was and she looked at me like I sprouted a second head and told me I had to go to a Wine & Spirit shop for that.

If you want beer, that's a separate store than the wine store. It's a real pain in the behind. I'm glad we don't drink very often, because having to go all over heck just to buy liquor seems like a waste to me.

ginlyn32
08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
See, I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that you have to go to a liquor store to buy the hard stuff! I can walk across the street to Sunflower Market and get it. We've got in just about all the grocery stores, I think even the Super Wal-Mart (not sure about that). Cold beer, wine coolers (and all the other varieties), wines. The only ones who don't carry it are the ones that are "morally" against it. Just what, exactly is the reasoning to have it in a separate store? :confused:

Maybe because there are no age restrictions for grocery stores. But if you used that logic, they would only sell beer there too....I have no idea!

MadMike
08-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe because there are no age restrictions for grocery stores.

But they still sell cigarettes, which are age restricted.

But if you used that logic, they would only sell beer there too....I have no idea!

You've hit the nail on the head. Anyone who lives in PA can tell you that this state and logica are mutually exclusive. This is a state where the roads are in disrepair, so they spend a shitload of money to build a bunch of stadiums. :confused: :shrug:

braindead
08-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I have a family member that lives in Nevada. They have drive through for liquor. They sell everything at the grocery store. And the sell on sunday. It freaked me out the first time. I live in Kansas we are kinda a dryer state. We sell it(never on sundays of course) but a lot of people wont admit to drinking it. :confused:

DGoddessChardonnay
08-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Heh.

In North Carolina, the laws on selling alcohol are pretty much this (I'll sum it up as best I can:)

Beer and wine are sold in grocery stores, as well as specialty stores (Such as World Market/Total Wine, etc) and convenience stores/drug stores.

Liquor is only sold in state-controlled stores. Individuals cannot operate a liquor store - the state prefers to keep the monopoly on that. Liquor stores are open from 9 am to 9 p.m here - in counties that have them (currently there are a few counties that don't have ABC stores.)

We also have a Sunday blue law, that states that NO alcoholic beverages are sold before 12 noon. As you can imagine, much fun is had by all when the lines at the grocery store are long and the time on the registers is maybe a couple of minutes before noon and you have some jerk who insists his case of Bud be run up b/c his watch says it's two minutes after. NOT

(Especially when our local ALE agents like to have stings when you least expect it. They'll send someone in just to see if the cashiers are doing their job correctly. They'll go by the time on the receipt, NOT the customer's watch on a Sunday beer/wine purchase.)

Liquor by the drink laws vary from place to place as well. In my county (Guilford) we have liquor by the drink, meaning that restaurants and bars can sell alcohol to patrons.

Also, just FYI, the legal limit is .08 for DWI (Driving While Impaired.)