PDA

View Full Version : [Game] [OOC] Into the Black (Firefly-verse)

Jay 2K Winger
09-29-2013, 11:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JRcb0Wj.jpg?1

Ain't too hard to figure life out. You get a job. You get paid. You keep flyin'. People don't rightly want a lot of complications to their life. They just want to get paid, get a roof over their heads, and to get through the day.

'Course, where it get tricky s'when there's disagreements. You land on the wrong moon, fly past the wrong mountain, look at the wrong guy cross-eyed... maybe you got a difference of opinion. Sometimes it's just a matter of disagreeing over whether you should get paid. Maybe it's a disagreement over whether that girl was married or not. Or maybe you disagree over Unification. (But t'ain't the time now to get into that barrel of cats.) Sometimes certain words get exchanged. Or certain bullets.

Things're gettin' a mite strange as of late. Rumors goin' about on the Cortex, rumors about some bad go se the Alliance is up to. Don't rightly see how it affects most folk. Like I said, they don't rightly want a lot of complications.

Nor do you, right? Let's go find ourselves a job.

================================

GM STUFF

This game is set in the Verse of the TV show Firefly, and is set after the Big Damn Movie, Serenity. You, the players, will be the crew of a small ship, roughly the size of the crew's ship from the show. It won't be a Firefly-class ship like the Serenity, because we don't want to copy things too much.

Player-characters can come from just about anywhere they want to come from within the Verse. There's dozens of worlds and moons that folks call home. PCs should work a little bit well together-- they'll have been running together for a few months at least when the game kicks off. (Not to say there can't be differences of opinion, but for the most part, they're a team.)

Limitations-- Psychic powers are very rare, and every single one of them is accounted for by the Alliance, often sent off to "The Academy," a laboratory complex where they're studied, experimented on, and where they try to make the psychics into weapons. Only one psychic ever escaped from The Academy, and that was River Tam. This means you don't get to play a psychic of that caliber. No telepathy, no psychokinetics, no throwing fireballs and so on around. Sorry, folks.

THE SHIP & CREW

Ship Name: Deucalion
Ship Class: DC-88
Ship Capabilities: TBA

Captain: Zhānmǔsī "Zhan" Cook (Exile)
First Mate: Rowan Li (Ellain)
Pilot: Tucker "Spider" Webb (Chanlin)
Engineer: Sama Alborne (Sarlon)
Medic: Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lock (Ghel)
Public Relations: Mando Alvarez (Jay 2K Winger)
Hacker: Aiden "Wolf" McCuan (Tyg3rw01f)

CHARACTER BIO

Name:
Homeworld:
Possible Crew Roles:

Description:
(You know the basics here. Age, build, appearance, personality, preferred style of clothing...)

Backstory:
(What kind of background does your character come from? What were your ambitions or plans growing up? What were they doing before they signed up with the crew? During the Unification War, what were they doing? [Note-- not everyone necessarily fought in it, but everyone has an opinion about it.])

Five Facts:
(These are other facts about your character that add flavor and color about them, and may supply possible plot hooks.)

SAMPLE BIO

Name: Allan Seabairne
Homeworld: Dyton
Possible Crew Roles: n/a

Description:
A man of middle age (40s-50s) with a full salt-and-pepper beard and close-cropped hair, Seabairne is unassuming in appearance until one looks in his eyes, and sees the razor-sharp mind underneath. He can be equal parts charming and equal parts stoic and cold. He is intelligent but ruthless. He has a tendency to wear a dark trench-coat, often fastened close, and suits slightly out of date from Core World fashion underneath. He also owns a black bowler hat, of course.

Backstory:
Born on Dyton in the city of Pellinore, Allan Seabairne fell in among the gangs and knew he was wanted to be the guy in charge. So he fought his way up the ranks. He's worn many hats over the years-- the bucket hat of a rank-and-file hood, the flat cap of a thief, the fedora of an underboss-- but the one he wears now is the bowler hat of a kingpin. From his home turf along Pellinore's Whalebone Avenue, there is little in that city-- or on that moon-- that Seabairne doesn't know about, or have a finger in. During the Unification War, Seabairne's syndicate had a tight hold on contraband smuggling off of Greenleaf, most of which was sold to the Independents, since the Alliance had their own legitimate sources.

Five Facts:
- Seabairne is a fan of the music scene on Paquin, in particular the musical stylings of Johnny Marc.
- He is known to be banned (with "shoot on sight" orders) from the city of Esparto on Lazarus, for reasons unknown.
- Conversely, he is well-loved on St. Albans, particularly among the "doxies" of Eldersden.
- He is known to have fathered a child, whom has been secreted away on Jiangyin somewhere.
- He is stereoblind, giving him some trouble with depth perception.

MORE GM STUFF

As bios are posted, I may ask further questions, to try to develop a deeper backstory among the crew, and to set up hooks and more possible contacts/side characters to work into the overall story. And this will be more of a story, rather than a game, since we're not going to bother with dice rolls and so on.

Any questions may be put in the thread. The OP will be updated with further info, and once we've got a few crew members down, we can discuss amongst ourselves what the ship will be like and what it will be named, etc.

If you need a good resource for information on the Verse in general, there is a wikia. (http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

Sarlon
09-30-2013, 04:06 AM
CHARACTER BIO

Name: Sama Alborne
Homeworld: born and rasied on a freighter
Possible Crew Roles: Mechanic, Cook

Description: Young, early 20s, tends to be barefoot whenever possible, claims it helps feel when engines are "off". Long black hair in a continual state of messy pile out of face. distant Asian ancestor in cast of the light green eyes. Short too...5 foot even, has the temper to make up for her...ahem...shortcomings.

Backstory:
Parents were supply runners to the highest bidder during the unification war, though most "runs" tended to be "rerouted" through the brown coats areas. She has rarely set foot on any planet for longer then a few days, and lived most her life aboard her parents freighter. She learned engine repair and maintance through the ships mechanic and was told she has a natural gift. She currently wants to learn about other ships so has been on the look out for a ship needing an experienced mechanic despite her age.

Five Facts:
Short and hot tempered, but fiercely loyal.
terrified of using guns, and tends to freeze up when guns start blazing.
seems to have a natural instinct for whats wrong with an engine, both by sound and feel.
has been known to patch things with spit and bailing twine....and has pictures to prove it.
excellent cook, known to make interesting dishes from little more then protein packs.

Chanlin
09-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Name: Tucker "Spider" Webb
Homeworld: Londinum
Possible Crew Roles: Pilot, Medic's/Engineer's Assistant

Description:
Early 30's not overly tall, but above average. Lean build that some might describe as wiry. Sandy brown hair, kept neat and cut close. Blue eyes. Black combat boots, dark green pants,
usually seen wearing a brown or red t-shirt bearing the Blue Sun logo. Tends to be hard nosed, very disciplined lifestyle, but laid back when it's just the crew and they aren't on a job.

Backstory:
Comes from a long line of proud Alliance Navy Men. His father, his father before him, and so on were proud warship pilots that served with honor and distinction and Tucker grew up hearing about it every day. It was no surprise that he grew up to become a navy pilot then. It just so happens he had the unfortunate distincton of graduating from the training academy right before the start of the Unification War. Tucker was present for two of the three famous battles in the war, namely the Batle of Sturges and the Battle of Du-Khang. He received a retroactive dishonorable discharge from the Navy after he deserted following an incident in which a superior officer ordered him to open fire on an unarmed civilian freighter that was believed to be carrying enemy troops. His father has since disowned him.

Tucker ran as far as he could and took whatever work he could to keep himself clothed, fed, and with a semi-decent place to sleep. This is how he eventually ended up with the current crew.

Five Facts:
- Has nightmares about firing on the civilian freighter.
- Is a wanted deserter from the Alliance Navy (a fact he tries to keep hidden)
- Has Alliance Military Training (basic field medicine, trained pilot of light ships and interceptor craft, has enough mechanical training to fix minor problems)
- Second in his class at the Academy, earned recognition and awards as an expert light craft pilot. Though his name is now used as a warning to new recruits.
- Youngest of 5 children - Siblings all served in various military roles (Medic, Grunt, Engineer and SAS)

Jay 2K Winger
09-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Both Sama and Spider look good. That's Pilot and Engineer set.

Questions for Sama:
- What was the freighter's name? What was its home port? (Most freighters have a home port where they make berth.)
- What are her parents' names?

Questions for Spider:
- What was the officer's name that ordered him to fire on the civilian freighter?
- What was the civilian freighter's name? How many souls on board when it was shot down?
- What is his father's name?

Chanlin
09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Father: Francis Webb

Officer that gave the order: Irwin Strauss

Civilian Ship: Santo Star
Number Dead: 23. 6 crew and 17 Civilian Passengers. None of them were Brown Coats.

Sarlon
09-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Father: Thomas (born and raised mostly on Paquin)

Mother: Deceased (died natural causes 1 year ago) Amira (born on Bellerophon, disowned by family for marrying a "vagabond")

Siblings : 2 sisters (both older, both registered companions) Shalandra 40, Mina 35; 3 brothers Peter 32 (fought as brown coat), Eric 20 (deceased, fought for the alliance), Harry 15.

Ship : An Alst style ship similar to the cantankerous profiled in six shooters and space ships page 52

Name of ship : Charis

Ships "home port": Beaumonde

Chanlin
10-01-2013, 04:35 AM
Cool :)

I like the concept Exile. Since the crew starts together I figure we ought to decide if Cook and Webb know each other or had crossed paths before this. Cook is in a position to be more famous I think.

I'm good with either way. The Alliance is fairly large.

Sarlon
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
oh this crew will be interesting...

2 military stiffs, with a free spirit with a temper.....

Jay 2K Winger
10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I like what I see in Sam Cook. Although perhaps a different first name, because otherwise we'll undoubtedly get into some confusion between Sam (the captain) and Sama (the engineer)...

Also, and this goes out to everyone-- the climactic transmission in the Big Damn Movie would not be from the Serenity, it would have come from Mr. Universe's planet, but by and large the public would probably refer to it as "The Miranda Broadcast."

Questions for Captain Cook:
- What was the name of Cook's first posting? (i.e. what ship was he first an officer on)
- What was the name of Cook's first command? (i.e. what ship was he first CO of)
- What is the make/model of Cook's laser pistol? (e.g. Rance Burgess' was a Silk trigger-active return-bolt laser pistol, Durran Haymer owned the Lassiter) How does Cook manage to acquire/purchase high-density batteries to power it?

Ghel
10-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I hope you will all bear with me. I really want to be part of this, but I've only watched a few episodes of Firefly. I haven't watched Serenity, either, though I intend to remedy that tomorrow. (I have read enough spoilers to get the gist of it.)

Name: Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lock
Homeworld: Londonium
Possible Crew Role: Medic
Description: early 30s, 5'8", lithe, agile, ginger hair, hazel eyes, practical but close-fitting clothing (usually gray or tan with a splash of color)

Backstory: Lizzie discovered her sensuality at an early age, and it has motivated all her decisions in life. She chose to study medicine primarily to learn human anatomy - to improve her pleasure and the pleasure of her partners. (Note: Lizzie is not a companion, has never had any companion training) She is unabashedly hedonistic, wanting to make sure that everyone around her enjoys themselves as much as possible without harming themselves or others. Lizzie put herself through medical school by dancing at an upscale club near the school. She excelled in school and was accused of sleeping with her teachers to get her grades. But she retook any test she was asked to and proved that she knew her stuff. After graduating, she hopped from job to job, being let go from each one because of her behavior. She's no-nonsense when lives are in the balance, but she just couldn't help making passes at fellow staff and sometimes even patients. Working aboard the ship may be a "last chance" type job for her. She's trying to be on her best behavior, but given her past, it probably won't be long before she's propositioning crew members.

Five facts:
-Middle child, older brother (Andrew) died in the Unification War, younger brother (Nathaniel) is an accountant (he cites her "addiction" as the reason they don't talk), parents (Rebecca and Dale) died of natural causes
-She took some martial arts training (initially for the exercise), but her firearms training is limited to "point and squeeze."
-Is allergic to chocolate (there is chocolate in the Firefly-verse, right?). It gives her migraines.
-Avoids having more than one alcoholic drink in a 24-hour period, saying she "wants to remember."
-Reads every book she can get her hands on, no matter the subject or other people's opinion of it. Will beg, borrow, and steal to get books she hasn't read before.

Sarlon
10-01-2013, 07:32 PM
question for the story teller...

you say we'll be starting off already knowing each other...so where were we all when the "transmission" hit? did we know each other at that point?

exile....really you went with cook....cause that sounds *nothing* like the concept you told me >.>

Chanlin
10-02-2013, 12:01 AM
I would imagine Chocolate is a rare commodity like fresh fruit.

Ghel
10-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I can imagine chocolate being seen as a rare delicacy, with people raving over it, and Lizzie getting left out because the couple of times she's tried it, she's gotten terrible migraines. That would totally suck.

Jay 2K Winger
10-02-2013, 06:02 PM
How's Zhānmǔsī? Or "Zhan" for short. I think it lends an air of how the cultures mixed in the arcs to form the Anglo-Sino Alliance, reflecting that one can end up with clearly oriental elements to a person's name despite being clearly caucasian.

I think that's a good name, and it makes me think of Simon & River Tam. Given names that sound more Western, but a surname that sounds more Eastern. Zhānmǔsī "Zhan" Cook it is.

- I'll have to get back to you with more detail.

You don't have to think on it too hard. There may not be much information on other laser pistol makes/models in the source material (either the show or the RPG books), so feel free to fabricate one.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lock

Nice, I think we have our medic.

Questions for Lizzie Lock:
- Presuming that Lizzie's brother fought for the Alliance in the war, but regardless, what planet/battle did he die on/in? And please, don't make it one of the "known" battles listed in the source material. Let's try to diversify and come up with new "canon" stuff for our story.
- What firm/company does Nathaniel work for?
- Tell us the story of Lizzie's last great bender. The one that prompted her to limit herself to one drink and that perhaps she's most embarrassed about.

question for the story teller...

you say we'll be starting off already knowing each other...so where were we all when the "transmission" hit? did we know each other at that point?

Our story will begin about three months after the Miranda Broadcast. The crew will have been working together at least three months prior to that.

Now that we have the majority of the crew (at least one more crew member), let's start figuring that out. Feel free to discuss it here in the thread, in PMs with each other, whatever, but let's start putting the pieces together.

Thus you'll now need to figure out what kind of ship you're all crew on, what it's called, and perhaps just some brief blurbs about how the crew came together. It could be a case of one crew member brought another one on board (a sort of "I know a guy who needs the job") or someone answered a Cortex ad, or whatever.

Can I also just say that I like that we seem to have gotten a bunch of Core-worlders on the crew, ones who happen to know the Alliance is not nearly as "evil" as the series made them out to be. Joss Whedon did say in interviews that the Alliance only comes across as the villains in the show because it's being told more or less from Mal's point of view (and he's not exactly unbiased) and was set more in the Border and Rim planets. He's said if the story had been from the POV of someone from a Core world, it might have focused more on all the good the Alliance genuinely does for folks, and the Browncoats might not have seemed so sympathetic.

Chanlin
10-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Can I also just say that I like that we seem to have gotten a bunch of Core-worlders on the crew, ones who happen to know the Alliance is not nearly as "evil" as the series made them out to be.

This is actually the main reason I decided to be a Core Worlder and former Navy. Figured it would be an interesting side of the story to explore.

I think the important decisions as far as a ship are concerned are this:

1: Weapons: Do we want them
2: How many passengers do we want to carry
3: How cramped/spacious do we want it

I'm using some of the Serenity RPG source books for this, but if I had to choose I would say we go with an ALST or a Cargo Lifter.

The ALST is slightly larger with more room for crew and passengers which means it also costs slightly more to maintain.

The Cargo Lifter is an extremely common ship according to the books and is far more easy/common to modify for various uses.

Both ships are fairly reliable and low maintenance cost.

Ship Names are always fun, but I think that one should be up to the Captain. It's his ship after all.

Sarlon
10-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Sama has grown up on a alst style ship most of her life (they had a smaller one till they got some government contracts that allowed them to afford a larger ship.)

I think sama would of just answered a "help wanted" ad while in port, looking for a new ship, most turned off by her age.....and her temper.

Ghel
10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Questions for Lizzie Lock:
- Presuming that Lizzie's brother fought for the Alliance in the war, but regardless, what planet/battle did he die on/in? And please, don't make it one of the "known" battles listed in the source material. Let's try to diversify and come up with new "canon" stuff for our story.
- What firm/company does Nathaniel work for?
- Tell us the story of Lizzie's last great bender. The one that prompted her to limit herself to one drink and that perhaps she's most embarrassed about.

Yes, Andrew Lock fought for the Alliance. (Making up a battle here: ) When the Independents tried to free the planet Greenleaf in order to have access to its medicinal plants, Andrew was among the troops sent by the Alliance to reclaim it. He was struck down in the initial battle.

Nathaniel Lock works as an accountant for the Museum of Art at the Londonium Museum.

After seeing their final grades, a group of Lizzie's classmates decided to go out and celebrate their imminent graduation. Lizzie remembers little of that night except waking up, with a tremendous hangover, among a pile of passed out and snoring people. During the next few days, up to graduation day, Lizzie was approached by about half a dozen of her classmates as well as two people they must have picked up at one bar or another. All of them thanked her for the amazing time they had. One even asked where she learned "that thing." Lizzie tried to play it cool, but she regretted getting so drunk that she couldn't remember the great time she must have had. Lizzie already had a reputation at the school for being easy, so little changed in that regard. She still wonders if there wasn't more that happened that night that she doesn't remember/know.

Chanlin
10-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I figure Webb is on the ship for one of a few reasons:

1: Saw Cook was in need of a pilot, recognized the name as someone who had a reputation in the Alliance for being a "good man."

2: Cook being in need of a Pilot heard about Webb and recognized Webb's name and sought him out.

3: Webb being in need of work saw Cook advertising for need of a Pilot and won out the job by impressing cook with his skills. Neither really recognizes the other, but they recognize the demeanor of a former alliance military man in one another.

Ghel
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Exile and I discussed how Lizzie joined the crew, and this is what we came up with:

Lizzie is fired from her last job on Londonium and can no longer find work. She tries looking for work on Londonium, but her reputation precedes her, until she runs out of money and is about to be evicted. While doing so, she spends time in a club near her apartment and meets a handsome patron of the club she'd never met before, mutual seduction between Lizzie and the patron occurs. Afterwards she mentions she's about to lose her place and laments that despite medical degree she cannot find work. Patron mentions sometimes transport vessels need medics to patch up wounded in space where accidents have been known to occur with no other medical personnel within days of travel. After the patron leaves, she takes the idea and searches codex for possible job postings on travelling ships. Though she wants to stay on Londonium because of friends and lovers there, she feels she must do whatever it takes to not end up destitute. Replies to cortex post, meets crew member Mando Alvarez who has been authorized to handle hiring of medic. Mando accepts Lizzie after trying to arrange vidconference with captain and being told to "handle it". (Wouldn't even read the resume.) Lizzie quickly grabs up belongings with help of crew. Later after having left atmo, set course, and contacted next port destination captain finally emerges to meet the crew's new medic. Lizzie "officially" meets Captain Zhan Cook, recognizing him as the patron that suggested she find work on a transport vessel.

Sarlon
10-05-2013, 05:17 PM
*bump*

So when are we getting this party started?

Chanlin
10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Unless Exile has an objection I'ma go with option 3 for Webb. As in: Webb got the job as Pilot by answering a help wanted ad. Webb and Cook recognize the military bearing/lifestyle in one another but don't really recognize the other.

With that being the case we still need to settle on ship type and name, unless that has been decided and I just missed it :)

Exile
10-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Ok, I'm apparently back. Thank you everyone who spoke out for me. I wish the mods would return my posts because I don't remember them word for word but at least I can get back on. Sorry I haven't been following the thread for a few days but I should be able to catch up soon. Currently though I have a barbeque, so I'll get back to you. Thanks again and see you all soon.

Exile
10-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok. I'm going to be spending what spare time I have today to reply to what I have left unanswered and repost what I can remember of what had been posted before. If all goes according to plan you all will probably be tired of reading my posts by the end of the day, but at least I'll have caught back up.

First thing is one I had posted but never made it onto the page; the laser pistol. This was all made up by me as there is very little official material on lasers. (Really just Rance Burgess' and The Lassiter.)

Cbēi jīguāng MSMPL-X1 was a design brought to the Alliance that was supposed to meet every need the government could have for a weapon. It had four settings; a standard laser pulse that delivered a dealy laser but would only stay on for a fraction of a second, designed to kill targets and conserve energy, a cutting setting that delivered the same laser blast but would stay on as long as the trigger was held, it could be used to cut through armor but drained battery quickly, and a heat setting that diffused the laser into a slightly wider beam that could cause heat flashes and sudden dehydration or even unconciousness in living targets or heat metal causing it to cause burns to flesh touching it or melt plastic. Due to expense of the creation only one was made.

The manual was considered too much to introduce to veteran soldiers when adequate weapons already existed with which they were already proficient and the top brass didn't want to add it to basic training for similar reasons. The cutting setting was considered a potential unneeded expense due to the battery drain and once again the brass didn't like it due to the added danger of giving a potential anti-armor weapon to the every rank and file soldier. Finally the heat setting's affects in field tests was considered too unreliable as many effects could be stalled by overhydrating before an attack and prolonged exposure could cause death similar to fire burns which had long been banned since the Geneva Convention of Earth-That-Was. As such it was not considered for further reevaluation and never put into any further production. (Which is a shame because making it a pulse-only weapon could have solved all of those problems and in the long run made it the most energy-efficient laser weapon to date.)

High density batteries are not prohibitively expensive from what I have read also, and considering their potential use in other technologies would likely not even be a controlled product. It would make more sense for the government to control the flow of the weapons themselves and the weapon specific circuitry rather than the versatile power supplies. Also, if anyone's interested Cbēi jīguāng means "Mercy Laser" according to the all-knowing oracle Google. MSMPL-X1 means Multi-Setting Military and Police Laser-Experimental design 1.

Exile
10-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I figure Webb is on the ship for one of a few reasons:

1: Saw Cook was in need of a pilot, recognized the name as someone who had a reputation in the Alliance for being a "good man."

2: Cook being in need of a Pilot heard about Webb and recognized Webb's name and sought him out.

3: Webb being in need of work saw Cook advertising for need of a Pilot and won out the job by impressing cook with his skills. Neither really recognizes the other, but they recognize the demeanor of a former alliance military man in one another.

Unless Exile has an objection I'ma go with option 3 for Webb. As in: Webb got the job as Pilot by answering a help wanted ad. Webb and Cook recognize the military bearing/lifestyle in one another but don't really recognize the other.

With that being the case we still need to settle on ship type and name, unless that has been decided and I just missed it

While I wouldn't normally have a problem with option three, there is one problem. Being former military, and an officer no less, Zhan would likely do a background check, spotting him as military and the likelihood of the CO leaving out that no Independent soldiers were killed on the ship Captain Cook would only see an insubordinate unless he had a reason to dig further after the initial report. As a result it seems more likely that Zhānmǔsī would have known of Tucker being a pilot who came from a long like of military men who uncharacteristically deserted. Having heard he was now looking for work he would check into his background and the circumstances involved. Finding he was dishonorably discharged and finding it suspect he would look more into the exact nature of his insubordination. Finding that it was based on an unwillingness to fire on a civilian vessel and Cook's background in disaster relief and reconstruction beliefs would find him an optimal pilot to suit his needs. He would then place an ad on the planet where "Spider" was currently residing and wait for him to answer. In order to keep him at ease he would never admit that he knows about his discharge or desertion and never mention it, feigning ignorance if Webber ever came clean about it.

Jay 2K Winger
10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
We'll probably begin later this week. Still waiting to see if we'll pick up at least one other player, preferably a gun-hand or something. We can skip an official 'first mate' role, for now, perhaps. Figure that out later.

Exile-- I like the Mercy Laser. (And yeah, I'll probably simplify things for me and just call it by that name.) Good choice, and well thought out, its settings and drawbacks.

Something to bear in mind-- personnel records and archives and whatnot are not going to be so easy to get into for ex-military guys like Zhan. Even if he left on his own terms, his access to records would have been terminated. Calling in favors with people who still have that access only goes so far.

I'll need to reacquire my Firefly sourcebooks to refresh on the ship types, I seem to have misplaced my PDFs for them.

If we haven't gotten any other bites from interested parties by next Sunday, I'll throw up a quick gun-hand type to fill the role.

Sarlon
10-06-2013, 06:22 PM
if you send me an email I have copies of the PDFs of the source books, and a few extras...exile and I were in a game here in town few years ago.

Sarlon
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
oh...any kinda background check on Sama, will reveal just a few minor warnings, mostly bored mischief while in port with parents. nothing more serious then being in the wrong place/off limits.

Jay 2K Winger
10-06-2013, 07:12 PM
if you send me an email I have copies of the PDFs of the source books, and a few extras...exile and I were in a game here in town few years ago.

I have copies of them, too, I just don't have access to them easily here at work. I have to find a way to get them somewhere I can d/l them on the network here. (Google Drive and most other file-sharing sites like that are blocked here at work.)

Exile
10-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Something to bear in mind-- personnel records and archives and whatnot are not going to be so easy to get into for ex-military guys like Zhan. Even if he left on his own terms, his access to records would have been terminated. Calling in favors with people who still have that access only goes so far.

I'd argue that's half true. The information as to why he was discharged would be available. The rest however wouldn't be readily available, however some information that would give leads to follow would. Who his CO, next of kin could easily be found, and not everything is classified, and eventually things deemed unimportant become declassified. Yes it would take a lot of legwork, but in an age with an interplanetary internet and illegal broadcast points like Mr. Universe's it's not impossible to get that information, just depends on how bad you want it. In the end it is up to you how much Zhan could find out, but I ask that you not dismiss it out of hand. After all, it could add an interesting layer to interelations between our characters.

Exile
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I think we should all look into possibilites for what ship to use, I have myself an will later post some suggestions once I am done compiling all of them.
As to the ship's name I have a couple of suggestions;
Dān l, (translated from Endeavour, Captain James Cook's first command http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook)
Astroner (or some variation adding an adjective) (sci-fi update to one of the most common ship names of Earth-That-Was)
The Ally (a reference to Alliance origins and also a friendly name to put people at ease)
Deucalion (the name of Prometheus' son, Prometheus here refering to the ark ship that settled Burnadette my character's homeworld)
The Illustrious (ok I might be spitballing here)
Josselyn (feminisation of the series creator's name, definitely spitballing now)

Anyone else got any ideas post them.

Chanlin
10-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Exile, your version of how Tucker came to be on the ship works for me :)

As to ship names I like:

Dan Li
Deucalion
The Ally

Exile
10-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Note on the ship, I didn't find anything that I liked that worked with our current crew count. Even then I started to come up with a design. I'm trying to get it on paper but I am having problems. If only I'd paid more attention in that Auto-CADD class... Unless you all want a detailed description until the I'd suggest someone else decide on a ship honestly.

Exile
10-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Another possibility is the ship from "Freedom's Flight" chapter 2 of Serenity Adventures from the table top RPG. I don't know if you've read that Jay but Xi Wang Black and his "Sift Justice Bounty Hunters" were double crossed by Corporal Rejovic on Perdition when a crew (the PCs if one runs it) causes a prison break and steal the ship. Who's to say afterwards that afterwards they didn't decide that a flashy looking one-of-a-kind hot vehicle was too much trouble and turned it in for a reward or sold it and it didn't end up in our crew's possession? Maybe through government auction or once again altered to resell it buy a less than reputable dealer? It's a nice ship, pricey to upkeep forcing us to stay busy and has a floor plan. It also resembles a backwards Bird of Prey based on the floorplan funnily enough.

Another possibility that could get us into plenty of trouble is an Alliance confiscated and refitted "Lady Pirate" which one might know from the Serenity RPG main rulebook as being former Independent blockade runners. Plenty of hijinks to ensue when diehard Browncoats see us "Purple Bellies" running around in what was once a proud Independent military ship.

Keep in mind that while these ships mentioned currently have weapons that doesn't mean that they would by the time we get them. (Especially if the go through Alliance military first.)

Also decommisioned Alliance military vehicles refitted for civilian use are also possibilities.

Food for thought.

Chanlin
10-07-2013, 06:03 AM
You also have to account for passenger capacity on ships too. Not everyone has to stay in crew quarters. Also keep in mind the Crew number in the stats is the minimum number of crew needed to run the ship, not the max. The number of crew quarters listed are also all double cabins unless otherwise stated.

So any of the ships with a Crew of 3 and at least 3 crew cabins would work.

Exile
10-07-2013, 06:42 AM
This is as best I remember it... (With some minor additions.)
Name: Zhānmǔsī "Zhan" Cook
Homeworld: Burnadette, City: New Tombstone
Possible Crew Roles: Captain

Description: Late 30's (but could pass for mid-late 20's), medium muscular build, short brown hair, 5'11", dressed in current Core World semi-formal and casual fashions, pressed clean and ironed to razor creases and mirror shined. Charming and affable demeanor, with blue eyes that belie the fact that he is always scrutinizing to gain the best advantage possible and a keen analyzing mind to go with it. Zhan is a truly masterful mountebank, able to bluff through almost any situation, but has a strong weakness for the ladies and always to help people whenever it is feasible. Truly does believe in a greater good, and works towards it above all else, often to a point of breaking rules to do so he otherwise would never consider. Doesn't relish in killing, in fact avoids it when possible, but not unwilling to when necessary.

Backstory: Zhānmǔsī Cook grew up in New Tombstone, a town known as the starting point for settlers heading Rimwards. It was the good that he saw done in helping families settle the untamed planets and moons to give them the ability to strike out on their own that first inspired Cook's desire to join the Anglo-Sino Alliance in order to provide further support for those settlers. But soon after he joined the Unification War began. He had already made it into officer's training and soon after graduating began rising in the ranks due to the war. He soon became Captain and gained his first command. He could have risen further in the ranks but refused further promotions feeling that commanding a ship is where he could make the most difference. After the war Captain Cook requested transfer to aid, transport and relief missions to help the reconstruction following the war. There he did his most gratifying work and when the Alliance reconstruction missions (too early in Cook's oppinion) he mustered out. Retiring his command within the Alliance he soon sought out a ship and a crew in order to continue his aid and relief work as well as serve as a transport ship in order to deliver needed supplies to Border and Rim Worlds, where he feels he is still able to make a big difference. After the Miranda transmission Cook started to become dissillusioned with the Alliance, wondering if he had accepted a High Command position could he have done something to prevent it. He still believes in the foundations of the Anglo-Sino Alliance but knows that some of the higher-ups are not fit to govern if they will risk innocent civilians in an attempt to force peaceful behavior upon the populace. Cook believes that people are inherently peaceful when their needs are met and are free and able to pursue happiness without hurting others, not forced.

Five Facts:
-Captain Cook has a one-of-a-kind Cbēi jīguāng MSMPL-X1 "Mercy Laser" that was once a proposed weapon for the Alliance military. No one knows how he got it or the liscense to carry it legally, but he has been Bound-by-Law for carrying it more than once and has always been released without being charged and the authorities have always returned it to him. He never speaks as to how he got it or why the Alliance allows him to have it.
-Zhan cheats, without mercy, at any chance he can get. (With the rare exception of commited relationships and the far more common strategy games...) He even cheated in military training, so well in fact that on the rare occassion he was caught he managed to cheat the system forcing them to either let it pass or even give him awards for "creative thought".
-Captain Zhānmǔsī Cook was the youngest man to recieve the rank and refused further promotions. Despite this he is still, even now, in high regard by the Alliance military.
-During officer's training Zhan was often referred to as a "Sourcebox with legs" amongst instructors and fellow cadets alike, studying constantly and retaining a great deal of information. After the war he even spent a short ammount of time as an instructor and developed a "think or sink" reputation amongst the cadets.
-Zhan is a masterful beguiler/deciever, yet he doesn't enjoy card games,or most other games that one ganbles over. Finding them to be tasteless. He instead prefers strategy games such as chess and go.

Notes: First ship Cook was stationed on was Gnghgu, his first command was Shy.

Exile
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Ok, I forgot about all the various ships in Cortex Shipyards Volume I & II. Didn't like anything in Six-Guns & Starships but there's a lot of possibilities in the afformentioned fan books. Anyone who doesn't have them let me know and I can e-mail them to you.
For those who have them (or when you get them from me) I personally like the following vessels;
Volume I:
DC-88 Drake (p.39, probably paint over the Lady Liberty)
Type 413 Class Midbulk Transport (p. 130)
Type 593 Class Cargo Sledge (p. 131)
Volume II:
Narwahl (p.33, but only if we call it the Midnight Bacon Express!:lol:)
Raptor/Ripper Class (p.34)

Note: I forgot how big the crew is on an Independent Blockade Runner, nix that idea.

Chanlin
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
If I had to choose out of those I'd say the DC-88 or the 413. Though the DC-88 almost feels like we would be cheating... just a little...

Exile
10-08-2013, 03:16 AM
Really? Out of those suggestions I'd go Freedom's Flight, 593, Raptor, or maybe DC-88...

Chanlin
10-08-2013, 03:22 AM
The Raptor could be made to work, but it would need to be modified for extra crew space :)

Exile
10-08-2013, 07:17 PM
If we haven't gotten any other bites from interested parties by next Sunday, I'll throw up a quick gun-hand type to fill the role.

Have you tried posting on other forums, I know there were once some good Firefly/Serenity rpg forums. (Having a hard time finding a good one anymore, but http://stillflying20216.yuku.com/ and http://browncoatsafireflyandserenityrpg.yuku.com/ seem fairly promising thus far.)

Chanlin
10-14-2013, 02:51 AM
So? Is anything happening with this?

Jay 2K Winger
10-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Despite the fact that I theoretically should have more free time with my being furloughed, I haven't had the time to sit down and plan out the opening post to the adventure. I have a general idea, but it's still a matter of sitting down and writing it.

Hopefully I should have that time later this week.

Chanlin
10-14-2013, 05:28 AM
No worries, just was more curious if we were still going forward or not. Don't rush on my account.

I just started a new job myself, so I have a lot less free time than I have had these last couple months.

Sarlon
10-14-2013, 05:31 AM
for a 3 day week I've got a lot crammed in as well, so no rush.

Jay 2K Winger
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Okay! Sorry this game got stalled by furloughs and whatnot, but let's have a show of hands to confirm who's still up for this game?

Post a sign that you're ready to continue, and refresh my memory on what ship you guys settled on, and I'll get to work writing up our introductory post for an IC thread, which should go up as soon as I hear back from you guys.

Sarlon
10-20-2013, 09:51 PM
:yourock::cs:

Are those the kinda signs you mean?

I'm still game for this game. And talk with exile, hes the tech expert

Ghel
10-20-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm still ready for this game. As for the ship, I have not a clue, nor would my character. :lol:

Chanlin
10-21-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm still ready. Last I recall we had the ship model and name down to a few choices, but not really chosen yet.

Exile
10-21-2013, 02:10 AM
I'm still ready. Last I recall we had the ship model and name down to a few choices, but not really chosen yet.

Pretty much sums it up.

Jay 2K Winger
10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
All right, well, we need to nail down what the ship is and what it's called, so we at least have those figured out.

I'll work on having the opening IC post up later today/tonight.

Exile
10-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, I'd like Ghel and Sarlon to weigh in on the ship model if at all possible.
Here's the possibilities that have been mentioned thus far:
As to the ship's name I have a couple of suggestions;
Dān l, (translated from Endeavour, Captain James Cook's first command http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook)
Astroner (or some variation adding an adjective) (sci-fi update to one of the most common ship names of Earth-That-Was)
The Ally (a reference to Alliance origins and also a friendly name to put people at ease)
Deucalion (the name of Prometheus' son, Prometheus here refering to the ark ship that settled Burnadette my character's homeworld)
The Illustrious (ok I might be spitballing here)
Josselyn (feminisation of the series creator's name, definitely spitballing now)
Ok, I forgot about all the various ships in Cortex Shipyards Volume I & II. Didn't like anything in Six-Guns & Starships but there's a lot of possibilities in the afformentioned fan books. Anyone who doesn't have them let me know and I can e-mail them to you.
For those who have them (or when you get them from me) I personally like the following vessels;
Volume I:
DC-88 Drake (p.39, probably paint over the Lady Liberty)
Type 413 Class Midbulk Transport (p. 130)
Type 593 Class Cargo Sledge (p. 131)
Volume II:
Narwahl (p.33, but only if we call it the Midnight Bacon Express!:lol:)
Raptor/Ripper Class (p.34)
Another possibility is the ship from "Freedom's Flight" chapter 2 of Serenity Adventures from the table top RPG.

...Am I really the only one who came up with suggestions or did I just arrogantly overlook someone else's suggestion?

Chanlin
10-22-2013, 01:10 AM
As to ship names I like:

Dan Li
Deucalion
The Ally

If I had to choose out of those I'd say the DC-88 or the 413. Though the DC-88 almost feels like we would be cheating... just a little...

Seems we have it down to the DC-88 or Freedom's Flight. I'd be fine with either, but I'd like the input of Sarlon and Ghel as well.

Sarlon
10-22-2013, 01:29 AM
I like the DC-88

Exile
10-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Dān l, DC-88
How's that Jay?

Ghel
10-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Dān l, DC-88
Not that Lizzie would rightly have any input on it, but that sounds good to me.

Exile
10-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Well Ghel, if I spoke to soon do you have an other input?

Ghel
10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I rather like the name Deucalion. A great reference to Greek mythology. :)

Exile
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
I rather like the name Deucalion. A great reference to Greek mythology. :)

Alright, a DC-88 "Lady Liberty" named Deucalion. I think that's the full consensus. Sounds good to me!

Jay 2K Winger
10-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Excellent. I'll have that introductory IC post up later today!

Jay 2K Winger
10-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Just to add one more character to the crew to serve as a gun-hand, here's Mando Alvarez.

Name: Mando Alvarez
Homeworld: Bernadette
Possible Crew Roles: Gun-hand

Description:
Late 30s, Mando is tall (6'3") and broad-shouldered, with a very solid build. He has dark hair and perpetual stubble, with some battle scars to his brow and nose. He carries himself like a man that should not be messed with, and compounds this by often openly carrying at least two visible weapons, one of which is a large knife. He tends to wear functional clothes-- almost always military-stock pants and a combat vest-- with a variety of usually colorful t-shirts. He also owns a well-worn slouch hat, which he wears constantly.

In terms of personality, Mando is laconic to the extreme, rarely using two words when one will do, and rarely emotes either. Despite this, he does have a dry sense of humor.

Backstory:
The Alvarez family lived and worked in New Tombstone on Bernadette, where they frequently worked in law enforcement or planetary militia/defense. Mando was no different, going through police training when the Unification War broke out. Mando ended up in the Alliance military soon after, like his father and brothers.

He distinguished himself well enough during the war, attaining the rank of Sergeant, but he was witness to several incidents that might later be termed 'war crimes.' ...Incidents perpetrated by both sides during the war, which left him rather jaded on the military and law enforcement.

After the war was over, Mando picked up work as a gun-hand on a few different ships along the way before eventually ending up on the crew's ship.

Five Facts:
- Mando likes his food spicy. He has a collection of hot sauces in his belongings to this end. (His chili will burn your tongue.)
- Mando's father died in combat on Ares. His uncle Josef is in charge of the family now, and is a Police Captain in New Tombstone.
- He knows how to play a guqin (Chinese harp), but hasn't owned one in years.
- He was disciplined multiple times while in the military for staging fight clubs. He claims it was "the best way to keep sharp."
- He has an intense hatred for slavers.

Oh, and... awaaaaay we goooo--!! (http://customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?p=1177992#post1177992)

Exile
10-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Is it bad that I picture Mando having a strong resemblance to Danny Trejo?

Sarlon
10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
who?

And your up early!

Exile
10-23-2013, 12:53 PM

who?

This guy:
http://thesecondtake.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/danny-trejo11.jpg

Exile
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Exile and I discussed how Lizzie joined the crew, and this is what we came up with:

Lizzie is fired from her last job on Londonium and can no longer find work. She tries looking for work on Londonium, but her reputation precedes her, until she runs out of money and is about to be evicted. While doing so, she spends time in a club near her apartment and meets a handsome patron of the club she'd never met before, mutual seduction between Lizzie and the patron occurs. Afterwards she mentions she's about to lose her place and laments that despite medical degree she cannot find work. Patron mentions sometimes transport vessels need medics to patch up wounded in space where accidents have been known to occur with no other medical personnel within days of travel. After the patron leaves, she takes the idea and searches codex for possible job postings on travelling ships. Though she wants to stay on Londonium because of friends and lovers there, she feels she must do whatever it takes to not end up destitute. Replies to cortex post, meets crew member X (TBD, not captain) who has been authorized to handle hiring of medic. Crew member accepts Lizzie after trying to arrange vidconference with captain and being told to "handle it". (Wouldn't even read the resume.) Lizzie quickly grabs up belongings with help of crew. Later after having left atmo, set course, and contacted next port destination captain finally emerges to meet the crew's new medic. Lizzie "officially" meets Captain Zhan Cook, recognizing him as the patron that suggested she find work on a transport vessel.

I was looking back over this and remembering we hadn't decided who the crew member was that interviewed her. I'd suggest our public relations expert Mando all things considered.

Ghel
10-23-2013, 02:14 PM
I was looking back over this and remembering we hadn't decided who the crew member was that interviewed her. I'd suggest our public relations expert Mando all things considered.
That works for me. I'll go back and edit the post.

Jay 2K Winger
10-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Hahaha, Trejo's not Mando. Trejo would probably be Mando's uncle.

I don't have a visual aid for Mando yet.

Chanlin
10-23-2013, 07:32 PM
This will probably be my usual posting time. I don't get regular internet access at work during the week.

:)

Ellain
10-24-2013, 03:56 AM
I hope you guy won't mind if I stalk your game- I love Firefly, but I suck at RPGS.

Exile
10-24-2013, 04:11 AM
I hope you guy won't mind if I stalk your game- I love Firefly, but I suck at RPGS.

You sure you don't want to join? I can't speak for our storyteller but I'm sure he won't mind one more player. After all we are a bit short and the best way to learn is just to do it.

Jay 2K Winger
10-24-2013, 04:35 AM

You sure you don't want to join? I can't speak for our storyteller but I'm sure he won't mind one more player. After all we are a bit short and the best way to learn is just to do it.

Yes, this isn't so much an RPG as an Interactive Story. No fussing around with dice-rolling and that kind of thing.

And the crew could always use a fifth person of some kind. Just bear in mind that most of the crew are Core-worlders or Alliance-friendly. The game is set post-Big Damn Movie as well.

Exile
10-24-2013, 05:12 AM
And the crew could always use a fifth person of some kind. Just bear in mind that most of the crew are Core-worlders or Alliance-friendly. The game is set post-Big Damn Movie as well.

That having been said I think we could use a Browncoat or two to spice things up.

Ellain
10-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Any preference on character type? I'm leaning toward a fighter type, but could try for a hacker type instead. I've got a basic idea outlined and can tweak it either direction.

Chanlin
10-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Do what you think you will have fun with. That is always the first rule with these games :)

Ellain
10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Let's try this again- my cat erased this the first time I typed it out! Let me know what you think, please?

Name: Rowan Li
Planet of Origin: Osiris
Role: Security

Appearance: 5' 5", wiry, short blond hair, blue eyes, attractive in a forgettable way.

Personality: Quiet around new people, not shy, but cautious. Tomboy, loves anything physical. Even tempered, tends to see both sides in an argument. Usually dresses in tank tops and faded black cargo pants with combat boots.

Background: Rowan was raised in a middle class family with disinterested parents and an older brother, Marcus, who she adored. To get her out from underfoot, her parents enrolled her (and Marcus) in as many classes and activities as they could. Rowan naturally gravitated to the more physically oriented classes, and did particularly well in the martial arts classes.

When she was 11 and Marcus was 17, the war started. Their parents were staunch supporters of Unification, but Marcus rebelled and ran off to join the Browncoats. Without her brother there, Rowan got caught up in a bunch of delinquents and started to get into trouble. She was bound by law several times for minor infractions such as breaking curfew and fist fighting, but as a minor, she got off lightly. During this time, she learned street fighting.

When her brother returned and discovered he had been disowned, Rowan had to sneak around to see him. She managed to stay out of trouble with the law for almost a year; until Marcus didn't show up for one of their visits. She discovered he had been using drugs, and thanks to some friends, found out he had been going to a blackout zone. She searched for him, and found him dead of an overdose just before a patrol arrived. Due to her minor status and the situation, she was only sentenced to community service.

Her supervisor, Allan Ricket took a liking to her, and at the end of her sentence, got her a job at the private security firm he worked for. She did well in the training, and held that job (even qualifying for bodyguard work) until the company went under due to a string of misfortunes, including the theft of its own payroll.

Five Facts:
1) Hates recreational drugs with a passion.
2) Can't swim, and is mildly phobic.
3) Doesn't do well with extreme temperatures.
4) Is competent with handguns, but prefers hand to hand combat. Is good with knives, but hides this fact.
5) Can pass as a boy with little effort.

Chanlin
10-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Looks cool to me :)

Even a possibility for tension. I figure Tucker wouldn't get along with her since she "lacks discipline" in his eyes.

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 04:19 AM
I'd like to join, but I'm having a little difficulty finding who's what, and what's needed, and where I might be able to fit

Chanlin
10-27-2013, 04:28 AM
We have major roles (Pilot, Medic, Captain, Mechanic) covered, so knock yourself out with whatever you want.

We have a gun arm as well. No on is officially the first mate yet.

As I usually say, do what will be fun for you.

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 04:46 AM
oh geez... I SO wanna be the Dirty Harry/Man With No Name/Jayne type...
but then again, we need a "Preacher" type...

Chanlin
10-27-2013, 04:50 AM
We don't "Need" anything.

Again, do what you want, not what you think we need.

In fact, the less we copy the crew of the original show the better :)

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 04:59 AM
oh geez... I SO wanna be the Dirty Harry/Man With No Name/Jayne type...
but then again, we need a "Preacher" type...

perhaps if I did the "Preacher" from Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name" finale, Pale Rider, and tossed in a touch of Dirty Harry or even Jayne for good measure...

Exile
10-27-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm loving that more people are showing interest, I just wish you all had gotten here earlier! Rowan looks great, looking forward to seeing what Tyg3rW01f comes up with. So Jay, we got room for 2 more?

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Name: Aidan "Wolf" McCuan (http://nevalalee.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/man-with-no-name.jpg) ((Mc-Koo-an)) (and yes, think the pic)
Homeworld: Loch Dubh (pronounced "dewh"), New Highland
Possible Crew Roles: short-fused temper par excellence, Hacker, and blade-fighter

Description:
Aidan "Wolf" McCuan stands 6', and is a rather amazingly nimble, rawboned 145 lbs. At 28 years old, he's fond of Drizabone coats, fedoras, and good bar brawls. "Wolf" constantly sports a two-day beard and a "go ahead; make my day" scowl. He wears rough-and-tumble long-sleeve shirts, denim pants and combat boots.

Backstory:
Aidan McCuan was born to a city official and a medical examiner on New Highland, a planet which enjoys its share of technology as it is an Alliance world. Settled by predominantly Scots, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, and other Celtic-descended peoples, New Highland is the Northern Ireland of the 'Verse in the fact its citizens consider it "forcibly occupied".
With his parents' positions and privilege, Aidan was enrolled in good schools. He was mediocre in school, but was well-known as a good mate in a pub. Restless with the fact New Highland was not the free world it wished to be, Aidan thought he'd become a journalist; instead, he was rejected by the New Highland media.
Then, the Unification War broke out, and broke out BIG TIME on New Highland. Bombings, street shootings, internment camps, etc., were and still somewhat are commonplace. Aidan managed to avoid conscription, internment and volunteering, instead moving into computers and information, feeding such to the Browncoats on the rare occasion he could make contact with a local group. While never officially a Browncoat, the Alliance labeled him as such, calling him "a wolf in sheep's clothing" and the name stuck.
Aidan learned how to knife-fight in the back alleys and bars during his secondary and higher education years. His grandfather taught him how to shoot, even though Aidan rarely uses firearms.
Before signing on with the crew, Aidan "Wolf" McCuan was a free-lance watchdog journalist and hacker-for-hire.

Five Facts:
1. Aidan dislikes sand.
2. Carries a pistol (http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/2e/Navy51S.jpg).
3. Has a picture of "his girl", Brenna (http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/images/spd08bodell.jpg), in a frame in his room.
4. Lots of good beer, a good four-alarm bar brawl, and a raging hangover… Yup, an evening well spent. Now where's the headache powder?
5. "Wolf" is similar to the Tom Selleck character Matthew Quigley, as when it comes to pistols or long-arms, Wolf states, "I've never had much use for 'em. Mind you, that doesn't mean I don't know how to use 'em."

Fact #6.
Aidan smokes either a cigar or a pipe... when he's relaxing, or on those occasions he simply bloody well feels like smoking!

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm loving that more people are showing interest, I just wish you all had gotten here earlier! Rowan looks great, looking forward to seeing what Tyg3rW01f comes up with. So Jay, we got room for 2 more?
I'd have been here sooner had I not had a Trunk -r-Treat event followed by the pizza delivery night from :censored:

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 12:33 PM
if you guys like, I can start by getting Lizzie out of trouble...

Ghel
10-27-2013, 02:11 PM
What makes you think Lizzie's in trouble? :lol:

I wasn't even intending for Lizzie to get lost. I was actually listening to what Exile said and only meant for her to lag behind a little. But then I ran with what Exile posted. :p

Also, as an aside, I expected both Exile and Cook to be a bit more observant. Lizzie's not wearing a red dress today. ;)

Tyg3rW01f
10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
added a sixth fact... HOPEFULLY somebody in the crew will find it a warm memory of relatives passed.
and if y'all don't want him carrying a "modern" Callahan Model 29 "Dirty Harry", I can always have him carry a Man With No Name Special (http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:Navy51S.jpg)...

Jay 2K Winger
10-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Apologies on my absence the last couple of days. Fridays and Saturdays are my weekends, when I'm usually not on CS.com.

Also fair warning in advance, sometime in the next week or so, I will likely be gone for a day or two, as my grandfather passed away last night, and I will be attending the funeral and whatnot.

Tyger, Ellaine, welcome aboard. We now have a healthy assortment of fighting types (handy, given where I intend to take the plot) and they all like their knives. Mando, Rowan, and Wolf are probably going to get along just fine.

Expect an IC post shortly.

ETA: Rowan and Wolf are already members of the crew at this point, I'll be asking some follow-up background-type questions soon, as I did for the others. In the meantime, assume that one or both of them went to do some shopping or whatever of their own when the rest of the crew set out, and let me know where they are in Haller Landing.

Exile
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I wasn't even intending for Lizzie to get lost. I was actually listening to what Exile said and only meant for her to lag behind a little. But then I ran with what Exile posted. :p

I was just wanting to see where things went, plus I know from experience how easy it is to lose someone in such markets.

Also, as an aside, I expected both Exile and Cook to be a bit more observant. Lizzie's not wearing a red dress today. ;)

As to that, I'm going to blame having had a busy transitional week out of character and jet-lag after several days in the black in character.

Ghel
10-27-2013, 10:34 PM
As to that, I'm going to blame having had a busy transitional week out of character and jet-lag after several days in the black in character.
No worries. I was just having a little fun with you. :)

Exile
10-28-2013, 03:02 PM
So I was looking it over and it would seem we have three gunhands and no first mate. I think someone needs a retcon-promotion. Sarlon, Chanlin, Ghel; any input? Or do you want to decide Jay? Personally I'm not sure yet. Wolf has gotten more time to shine, but I don't want to play favorites due to my own cultural preferences either.

Ghel
10-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I think Rowan would be a good first mate. From the description of being cautious and event-tempered with previous work at a security firm, it sounds like she's got the makings of a second in command.

Sarlon
10-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I second the motion.

Jay 2K Winger
10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
I think that kind of decision should be up to the crew-- and thus we have a first mate in Rowan, unless someone else has any objections.

Ellain, here are some background questions for you about Rowan Li:
- What city did the Lis live in on Osiris? What neighborhood did they live in there? What was the blackout zone called by the locals? ("Blackout zone" is just a municipal buzzword.)
- Tell us about the worst (or best) fight that Rowan ever got in.
- What was the name of Ricket's private security firm? Was it ever discovered who stole the payroll? (This last one doesn't need an answer, it may or may not come up.)

Tyger, here are some background questions for you about Aiden McCuan:
- What was the name of Aiden's secondary school or the highest school from which he graduated?
- What was the name of the biggest media outlet/periodical on New Highland that rejected Aiden?
- What was the name of Aiden's primary Browncoat contact?
- What's the name of Aiden's favorite pub? What's his preferred type of booze and what is the name of the label?

Tyg3rW01f
10-28-2013, 06:32 PM
I'll work on those... gimme at least until 1am EDST, okay?

Jay 2K Winger
10-28-2013, 06:37 PM
I'll work on those... gimme at least until 1am EDST, okay?

Take your time. No rush.

Chanlin
10-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I think Rowan would be a good first mate. From the description of being cautious and event-tempered with previous work at a security firm, it sounds like she's got the makings of a second in command.

Works for me :)

Tyg3rW01f
10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
btw... anyone remember the metal detector scene in Matrix? Put Wolf in that outfit... but with knives... LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of knives!!!

Chanlin
10-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey... hey mister... *opens coat just slightly* wanna buy a knife?

Tyg3rW01f
10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
well, he DOES carry the one pistol... and he pulls THAT... baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad juju!!

Jay 2K Winger
10-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Mando doesn't go in for multiple knives.

Not when you can have just one biiig fuck-off knife (http://i.imgur.com/JUfQ53a.jpg).

Tyg3rW01f
10-28-2013, 07:56 PM
the "that's no' a knoyff" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI) idea?
Wolf's favorite knife... is the one that kills you.

oh, Skipper, when there's a contact with the ship, Wolf's job starts. he has four signals:
one tug on clothing: I'm in their system
two tugs on clothing: Keep the other party talking another thirty seconds
three tugs on clothing: cut contact and leave
a kick in the arse: STFU and GTFO!!

Tyg3rW01f
10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
oh... and there's a few boxes of ammo too many to have been gotten without Wolf's... skillset. (hacking)

Jay 2K Winger
10-28-2013, 10:00 PM
the "that's no' a knoyff" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI) idea?
Who needs ONE BFK that can be taken out when it's MUCH more difficult to disarm LOTS of knives? Besides, Wolf's favorite knife... is the one that kills you.

I never said that Mando doesn't carry multiple knives. Just that he generally displays only the Big One.

'Course, he's also carrying at least two visible guns-- one of which is a pretty big pistol-- at the same time.

Sarlon
10-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Tyger stop having a pissing contest with the nice story teller.

Jay 2K Winger
10-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Tyger stop having a pissing contest with the nice story teller.

Always a nice idea not to try to irritate the person who can make life more difficult for your precious characters. BWAHAHAHA!

Mine is an evil laugh.

Sarlon
10-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Tyger and Exile are RL friends of mine....Tyger needs a mental headslap 10 times a day....dusts the cobwebs out.

Exile....he...well hes a bit over confident. :P

Ellain
10-29-2013, 01:39 AM
The Li family lived in New Cairo, which is located on the same continent as Capital City. Their home was in the North Quadrant, in a middle class neighborhood. There are three major blackout zones (meaning larger than a 5 block radius; there are multiple smaller ones as well) in New Cairo- Rowan found Marcus in the Cats' Alley, which is the furthest east of the three.
Let me know if any of that needs to be changed?

Rowan's worst fight happened shortly before Marcus came home. She received a letter from him telling her when to expect him, and she was ecstatic to see him again. While she was out with her friends that night, a bully overheard that they were celebrating the return of her Browncoat brother. It devolved quickly, with her standing up for Marcus, and the bully deciding she must be a traitor to the alliance as well, and therefore needed a thrashing.

The guy was nearly twice her weight, but was slow and hadn't had any formal training. He managed a glancing blow to her face (black eye), and shoved her into the wall (split lip, bruised shoulder) before she maneuvered him into rushing her. She tripped him up and used his momentum to throw him. Unfortunately for him, he smacked his head on the floor and blacked out. Security was there cuffing them both by the time he came to.

The best part? Rowan got off with a warning, because she never hit him, she only helped him fall.

The security firm Rowan worked for was Tri-Sun Phoenix Security. Ricket ran the Blue Sun Division. He was on Osiris for three reasons when he met Rowan. First, and most important, he was applying for a license to expand to include bodyguard work in his business. He was also looking for recruits and taking a holiday.

The Kalidasa Division went under due to poor management, and the Red Sun Division was absorbed by another company. The BSD went under shortly after the Miranda broadcast, but had been having trouble for a few years before. There had been problems retaining personnel, problems with recruiting, and few jobs, despite the company's solid reputation.

The theft of the payroll on Lilac was only a rumor (though Ricket confirmed it when Rowan asked) so the thieves were never caught. There were cameras, but the data was corrupted during a Reaver attack immediately after the theft. The guards involved gave confused descriptions of the thieves that were not helpful. They couldn't even agree on how many there were!

Tyg3rW01f
10-29-2013, 05:43 AM
wasn't trying to piss of the DM... was only succeeding.

and I NEVER said one can't carry LOTS of BFKs...

Tyg3rW01f
10-29-2013, 06:57 AM
What was the name of Aiden's secondary school or the highest school from which he graduated?
Aidan (Spelled with an a) graduated from Martin Luther College of New Highland's journalism program, with a minor in computer information sciences. MLCNH was a college that offered religious studies(DUH! the name) and other "less religious" programs. Being a Lutheran, Aidan attended.
His high school was Loch Dubh Secondary. GO CLAYMORES!!

What was the name of the biggest media outlet/periodical on New Highland that rejected Aiden?
New Highland Courier Post(New York Times or the Wall Street Journal); Voice of the Highlands(think the BBC or NBC)

What was the name of Aiden's primary Browncoat contact?
Aiden's Browncoat contact was an eccentric chimney sweep named Bert (http://tillyscottage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Dick-Van-Dyke.jpeg).

What's the name of Aiden's favorite pub? What's his preferred type of booze and what is the name of the label?
The Down 'n' Dirty in Loch Dublin, the town in which MLCNH is located. He enjoys beer (Guinness, DUH!) but his favorite is Schnockered Scotty Meads. Their "Sgian Dubh" (skeen doo) label in particular is his Holy Grail of favorites. Black as shoe polish and hard-hitting as a .480 sniper bullet to the brain.
Schnockered Scotty Meads is a popular domestic brewery on New Highland, but off-world its products are… not easy… to find.

(stolen from Rowan… hey, CELTIC homeland here) Tell us about the worst (or best) fight that Wolf ever got in.
Aidan heard of Brenna's presumed death in a bombing and assaulted an Alliance rifle-team. He killed the officer and one soldier, put another in the hands of the medics and scared off the last. Aidan got off-world as soon as he could. He's not received word of Brenna since; he keeps her picture in his quarters, forever hoping she's still alive.

Exile
10-29-2013, 04:27 PM
(stolen from Rowan hey, CELTIC homeland here) Tell us about the worst (or best) fight that Wolf ever got in.
A truly SPECTACULAR bar brawl that began when a poker game got ugly. When it was all said and done, 135 law enforcement officers were involved. Nearly eighty arrests were made, twenty people had been killed, and 268 were injured. Eight businesses were vandalized, burned, or otherwise damaged. Thirty-seven horses were stampeded, fourteen vehicles were burned or toppled...

You spelled "riot" wrong.

Also, you really do love pissing contests don't you?

Tyg3rW01f
10-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes. suffers the classic "I'm inferior so I have to one-up everybody and have the last word", but adjusted things to fit.

Tyg3rW01f
11-01-2013, 06:35 PM
deleted my last post. I'm going to ask folks to alert me to me engaging in pissing contests and being a martyr. please.

Chanlin
11-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I felt the post was totally appropriate :p

I don't know about anyone else. ICly Tucker is not at the ship yet and is thus unaware that he has been asked to do something.

Part of RPG's is having In Character tension. So if wolf is openly or even secretly upset over someone else being asked to do a job he thinks he's better suited for then more power to ya :)

Sarlon
11-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Always a nice idea not to try to irritate the person who can make life more difficult for your precious characters. BWAHAHAHA!

Mine is an evil laugh.

hey now...*I* didn't get into a pissing match with you!!! don't punish me!!

sides...I bring booze and cookies....

Chanlin
11-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Didn't even see that the post delivering the captains order to look into the guys got edited...

Ghel
11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Tyg3rW01f, I find it's a good idea to ask, "what would my character do?" If Wolf would complain, loudly even, that background checks are something that should be assigned to him, then have him complain. I don't see that sort of grumbling as "engaging in a pissing contest" or "being a martyr."

I wouldn't have expected to have Lizzie try to draw answers out of Kellins, but with her outgoing nature (totally unlike me, btw) and her desire to make sure everybody's having a good time, it makes sense that she would try to put Kellins at ease. (And get him help, if possible, but that's a potential future thing in the IC thread.)

Tyg3rW01f
11-02-2013, 05:36 PM
okay... asked Sarlon about this...

...In attempting to show Aidan "Wolf" McCuan has an accent that gets THIIICK when he's definitely not calm, cool, and collected, I seem to have fingernails-on-chalkboard'ed a few people's nerves.
How do I best show "Wolf"s accent, keep him coherently understandable, and show that his dander's up?
Sarlon has suggested typing out his words without spaces in them.
While that seems perfectly reasonable and completely doable, it also feels like he talks faster when he's agitated. I'm MORE THAN WILLING to go that route! Just gimme some suggestions.

Ghel
11-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Whatever you decide is fine with me. I had no problem parsing Wolf's accent.

Ellain
11-03-2013, 02:22 PM
It didn't bother me either, especially since you provided translation. :)

Jay 2K Winger
11-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Back from the weekend, all. I'll be getting a GM post up soon.

Be nice and behave.

Exile
11-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Hello all. Sorry I have been incommunicado until just now, but I will begin actively posting again. Just wanted to let everyone know I hadn't abandoned everyone, just had more pressing issues outside of the internet that occupied my focus. I will begin posting in character again tomorrow. Hopefully when I do everything on this thread that's currently going on will make sense.

Exile
11-05-2013, 03:39 AM
Wolf -- Deucalen's loading ramp
Having overheard the comm-wave, Wolf groused, "{appropriate pissy phrase in Chinese} Mando, why is the Captain asking Tucker to do the background check when that's more within my skillset than Tucker's?"

Because I got some characters confused with all of the new ones coming in and the game just starting up.

Tyg3rW01f
11-05-2013, 05:40 AM
still, it adds to the story. makes wolf look to be a new addition

Jay 2K Winger
11-05-2013, 08:21 PM
GM Note: I'm holding off on the next IC GM Post until Zhan and Rowan are finished up on their little scene there and go to The Falling Sky. I prefer to maximize my GM Posts by consolidating as much into each post as possible.

Tyg3rW01f
11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
okay... I am having a tough time deciding... Need assistance chosing the pistol Wolf carries... only to use when the situation is a COMPLETE FUBAR.
Dirty Harry Special (http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/194/3/e/Smith_And_Wesson_Model_29_by_Bosch91.jpg)
or
The Man With No Name (http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/2e/Navy51S.jpg)

((Interestingly enough, they supposedly make both pistols in .44))

wolfie
11-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Wolf sounds like the practical sort, so I'd guess he'd get the Smith. It's a modern weapon (although with the tech level of the Firefly 'verse, it would be old tech) so it would have a transfer bar safety (no need to carry "5 beans in the wheel" to avoid accidentally shooting yourself in the foot), and (picture not too clear - but didn't look bulky enough in the right places for a break-open) the cylinder is on a "crane" to swing out. This would allow fast (for a revolver) reloading.

The "man with no name" revolver is old, and would have an issue common to old single-action revolvers - a "whack" to the hammer (or even getting it caught on a branch, pulled back a bit, and released) will cause it to fire. There are 2 solutions to the problem: the transfer bar safety used on more recent revolvers, or carrying it with the hammer resting on an empty chamber (cuts ammunition capacity). Also, take a look at the lever under the barrel. This is either the rammer for a cap-and-ball revolver (VERY slow loading) or the ejector for a gate-loading revolver (not quite as slow, but still MUCH slower than a break-open or swing-out cylinder - has to be loaded one cartridge at a time, rather than with a speedloader).

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Wolf sounds like the practical sort, so I'd guess he'd get the Smith. It's a modern weapon (although with the tech level of the Firefly 'verse, it would be old tech) so it would have a transfer bar safety (no need to carry "5 beans in the wheel" to avoid accidentally shooting yourself in the foot), and (picture not too clear - but didn't look bulky enough in the right places for a break-open) the cylinder is on a "crane" to swing out. This would allow fast (for a revolver) reloading.

The "man with no name" revolver is old, and would have an issue common to old single-action revolvers - a "whack" to the hammer (or even getting it caught on a branch, pulled back a bit, and released) will cause it to fire. There are 2 solutions to the problem: the transfer bar safety used on more recent revolvers, or carrying it with the hammer resting on an empty chamber (cuts ammunition capacity). Also, take a look at the lever under the barrel. This is either the rammer for a cap-and-ball revolver (VERY slow loading) or the ejector for a gate-loading revolver (not quite as slow, but still MUCH slower than a break-open or swing-out cylinder - has to be loaded one cartridge at a time, rather than with a speedloader).

Orrrrr--

There's really no need to overthink it. These wouldn't be old Earth-That-Was guns, they'd be current tech. It ultimately comes down to aesthetics. Reload trouble can play up for drama when fight scenes break out. (Yes, there will be fight scenes! Honest! Once we get to the meat of the story!)

Tyg3rW01f
11-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Man with No Name it is then. But Aidan "Wolf" McCuan doesn't use his pistol unless things have REALLY devolved into a Charlie-Foxtrot, so one round-loading will prove interesting.

Tyg3rW01f
11-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Man with No Name it is then. But Aidan "Wolf" McCuan doesn't use his pistol unless things have REALLY devolved into a Charlie-Foxtrot, so one round-loading will prove interesting.

And maybe that's why he only uses the pistol when things have truly gone to Hell.

Jay 2K Winger
11-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Mando's Preferred Weapons:
- Knife (http://i.imgur.com/JUfQ53a.jpg)
- Pistol (http://i.imgur.com/IWNrdgw.jpg)
- Shotgun (http://i.imgur.com/n07HLz7.jpg)
- Assault Rifle (http://i.imgur.com/wK4IBfB.jpg)

Tyg3rW01f
11-08-2013, 06:12 AM
maybe he's been asked to not smoke on the bridge??

Tyg3rW01f
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Wolf wears a "gun belt" that has a right-hand draw holster (http://www.civilwarsutler.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Holster-indian-wars-897x1024.jpg) on the left hip, and a leg drop knife (http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/rrholmes/Knife%20Sheaths/001-2.jpg)double-sheath on the right thigh below a left-hand draw belt knife.

Chanlin
11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Exile - OOC
I have really got to stop having life-melting crises within my proximity. I really need to be on here more often. I'm sorry everybody, I know I made a commitment when I signed on as captain. I'm going to try to at least check this more often.

#1 rule is Real life always comes first. Posting will be slow sometimes. It's the nature of play by forum games really.

I wasn't able to post until my most recent one myself because of offline obligations. Namely my best friend just got married Saturday. So don't feel bad if something keeps you from posting. We won't hold it against you.

Jay 2K Winger
11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes, I forgot to mention that Rule One of Internet Role Play is that Real Life Always Comes First.

It helps if you give us a heads-up in the OOC thread if you anticipate being unable to post for a bit, but it's not required.

Going forward, this is why I'm going to try to get a couple of subplot/threads going so the crew can split up a bit, so things don't completely stagnate.

Sarlon
11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Exile, if nothing else just let me know and I can post for you.

Ghel
11-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Are we still playing? I know real life comes first, but I'd love to see this story continue.

Jay 2K Winger
11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes, we're still playing, but we can't really move forward until Cook and Rowan meet with Brisket and his workers. The plot doesn't really kick off until the ship sets out!

Ellain
11-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Sorry I've been gone for a bit. Did you hear about those tornados in Illinois? Yeah...

We're fine, though, as is our house.

Jay 2K Winger
11-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Sorry I've been gone for a bit. Did you hear about those tornados in Illinois? Yeah...

We're fine, though, as is our house.

Well, that's Rule One, if ever there was.

Ghel
11-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Glad you're ok, Ellain.

Tyg3rW01f
11-20-2013, 01:16 AM
We're fine, though, as is our house. Well, that's Rule One, if ever there was.

gee... ya think?
Ellain, I'm glad you're okay, but are you sure? Is everyone in your family who might live in that area accounted for and okay?

Ellain
11-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Yep, the family that was closest (their house only has mild damage, but still has no electricity) is staying with my grandparents at the moment, and everyone else is accounted for. I did find out that a few internet friends lost their homes, though. Luckily for me, none of the 16 deaths were people I know.

Tyg3rW01f
11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
good! good!

...well, not for the families of the 16 dead, but for YOU!

Jay 2K Winger
11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Guys? Are you still there?

Ghel
11-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm still here. Just waiting to see what else is going on. :)

Tyg3rW01f
11-28-2013, 03:07 PM
...ditto...

Jay 2K Winger
11-28-2013, 06:12 PM
We're still basically stuck until Exile gets around to getting Zhan to meet with Brisket. I could fast-forward us until we're actually out in the black, but... come on, I don't want to have to drop the CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP in order to keep the plot going...

Chanlin
11-28-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm still around and interested, but likewise am waiting :)

Tyg3rW01f
11-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Unless I'm mistaken *cough* SARLON! *cough* is the person to ask about Exile as Exile is more her friend than mine...

Ellain
11-28-2013, 10:14 PM
We're still basically stuck until Exile gets around to getting Zhan to meet with Brisket.

That's what I was thinking.

Tyg3rW01f
11-29-2013, 10:44 PM
okay... I just had a massively WRONG mental image flash through my head... Mando is...

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131112222325/halo/images/0/0e/Jorge.png
with Croc Dundee's head, and the voice of TF2's "The Heavy"...

Saying, "I am heavy weapons guy, and THAT is not knife. THIS is knife. She weighs 150 grams and is sharp enough to split frog hair eighteen ways. I have kill 80 men with this knife... in one fight."

Then there was Aidan "the Wolf" McCuan... dressed as
http://thinkstrat.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/gbu2.jpg
saying in an IRISH accent...
"I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my Captain don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it... So you gotta ask yourself one question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well? Do ya punk?"

Exile
11-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Sorry, been busy at work with swing shifts, family illness, being out of town, injuries, in person gaming and the like. So umm... What the frelling hell happened?! Tornadoes? Hope everything is alright. Oh, and now my roomate needs me, gotta go!

Tyg3rW01f
12-23-2013, 08:12 PM
I MUST do this, sorry!

Wolf, in response to being asked why he fights with knives and still carries a revolver, drew the weapon reverently. "Five men taught me how to fire a weapon. The one I revered the most carried this. She's a .45 caliber, Callahan single action Diamondback revolver. They haven't made this particular model in 30 years. She has extreme sentimental value; I call her Brenna."
http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/2e/Navy51S.jpg

Jay 2K Winger
01-14-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm glad that Exile finally turned up again to get things moving once more.

I was this.close to making a roll call, and if he didn't turn up in a few days, to just... move on.

Ghel
01-14-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm glad to see we're playing again, too! I missed this game!

BTW, I have nothing more for Lizzie to do until something happens. She's still waiting for the local police to show up and collect Kellins.

Sarlon
01-14-2014, 11:27 PM
I do know Exile had some personal things come up, plus loads of work...I'll leave that for him to explain if he so desires....

Plus classes for me this spring start this Thursday, so I'll be strapped too, and will post as I can.

Exile
01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Yeah, sorry for the disappearing act. Things got hectic for a while, then I was just afraid I might have pissed people off. Eventually I decided, "F*** it! What's the worst that can happen if I just jump back in? Mutiny?"

Tyg3rW01f
01-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Make him walk the plank!!!

Chanlin
01-15-2014, 11:26 PM
There is this thing called spacing... lucky for you this isn't one of my Dark Side Star Wars characters :devil:

Exile
01-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Hey, sorry. Life got interesting suddenly. We respond IC Monday!

Jay 2K Winger
01-23-2014, 05:45 PM
I will say this: Aiden definitely jumped to the wrong conclusion about Syman Lerga.

Not saying anything more.

Sarlon
01-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah....he tends to do that in RL too....

Whack him upside the head every now and then it jolts his brain back to some normallacy

Exile
01-24-2014, 03:04 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured, that sounded WAY to paranoid delusional for me.

Sarlon
01-24-2014, 03:13 AM
exile...think about who Tyger is....

Tyg3rW01f
01-24-2014, 04:29 AM
hey...
...I >>>DID<<< try to stress how WRONG his conclusion was. Geez.

And THINK about Aidan "Wolf"s BACKSTORY...

Exile
01-25-2014, 04:32 AM
Just because I stated my thoughts doesn't mean i didn't see any of it coming.

Jay 2K Winger
01-25-2014, 05:22 AM
hey...
...I >>>DID<<< try to stress how WRONG his conclusion was. Geez.

And THINK about Aidan "Wolf"s BACKSTORY...

Well aware of both.

I just had to say that yeah, Wolf is wrong. Lerga's... well, you'll see.

...for some reason I'm now picturing Lerga in my head as Jorji Costava from Papers, Please. Which is completely the wrong image, but he has that same cheerful optimism about himself...

Tyg3rW01f
01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
still no idea if Aidan isn't supposed to smoke on the bridge or not.

Chanlin
01-26-2014, 03:05 AM
On land I'm sure no one cares if he smokes or not. Or at least, most of the crew wouldn't.

As for in space... fire bad. Oxygen and other flammable gasses, and the fact that the smoke would royally screw up any oxygen recycling systems. It's most certainly only allowed while they aren't in the black.

Ghel
01-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Oh, vaping! Why didn't I think of that? :doh:

Sarlon
01-31-2014, 04:08 PM
I do believe our lovely captain laid out the rules quite nicely.

Tyger is home nurseing that burn :P

Tyg3rW01f
01-31-2014, 04:15 PM
No... Tyger is Home trying to find a replacement vehicle after his van exploded two weeks ago

PS The ENTIRE crew would know at least something of "Brenna", Aidan's missing fiance from back on New Highland. They also know that he is very protective of certain items in his possession: the picture of Brenna, his pistol(belonged to his grandfather), and now the pipe.

Sarlon
02-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I think Tyger is moving things along to fast....its not nightfall yet, unless *I'm* mistaken and DM corrects me.

it may not be full dark yet

Exile
02-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Wait! It's dark? Shit! I got caught up at work and lost track of time in game! Umm... I'll try to catch up I guess?

Sarlon
02-07-2014, 11:29 PM
wait for DM say....it could be mid day for all we know and Tyger is pushing things to fast

Chanlin
02-07-2014, 11:48 PM
In a game like this, especially where not everyone can post regularly, it is much easier to just say your post takes place when it takes place. Waiting for the ST/DM to rule on the time of day is wasting his time and yours IMO. That said, if someone starts a post in the morning and someone involved in that same scene suddenly says its mid day/night within the next one or two posts that is really bad form unless everyone agreed to it before hand.

Exile, don't worry about "catching up", things actually haven't moved that far since your last post.

Tyg3rW01f
02-08-2014, 04:39 PM
As Aidan DID fall asleep, I had naturally assumed it was at least 7pm or 8pm... which is normal dark...
...that said...
...around the area where Sarlon, Exile, and I live at least, tobacco places stay open until at least 8 or 9 at night and open around 9 or 10 in the morning (Unlike liquor stores which close from 11p to 9a)...

...I'm not averse to one of the crew within earshot of Aidan's statements on the bridge or in the galley taking initiative and Cortexing a local vaporizer oils dealer.

Jay 2K Winger
02-09-2014, 06:31 PM
It's not even 7:30pm yet. While most businesses in town are mom-and-pop-style, locally-owned, set-your-own-hours, there will be plenty of places still open until probably 9pm.

Tyg3rW01f
02-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Yes, I just made a reference. Deal, please.
oh, and the last flavor I mentioned? Yeah... it IS named after the 60s/70s drug mixture...

Tyg3rW01f
02-24-2014, 09:10 PM
oh, can we PLEASE have a "That's not a knife" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI) moment?! PLEASE?! I wanna see Mando terrify somebody into a pants-wetting puddle of fear!

Ghel
02-25-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm just waiting for an opportunity to use "I'm a doctor, not a ______." :lol:

Sarlon
02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Or as exile and I had last time we played, "it's not lupus, its never lupus "

Jay 2K Winger
03-03-2014, 06:28 PM
I see that Syman Lerga's limp grasp of grammar is contagious.

Bo ha ha ha.

Tyg3rW01f
03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
NUUUUUUU!!! Not are to be Mujubar from New Dehli!!!

Exile
03-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Christ-Chex sorry guys! Lost track of things! Sarlon; why didn't you remind me when I was at your house?!

Sarlon
03-19-2014, 05:00 PM
cause it was only that day that I found out you lost your job and thought thats why you hadn't been posting.

Exile
03-20-2014, 01:39 AM
cause it was only that day that I found out you lost your job and thought thats why you hadn't been posting.

Well, to be fair, you were right...

Tyg3rW01f
03-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Exile... try Citi...

Tyg3rW01f
03-26-2014, 11:12 PM
...and is this game dead?

Jay 2K Winger
03-26-2014, 11:16 PM
...and is this game dead?

It's on life support. It's severely hampered by the fact that one of the significant players (Exile) is an infrequent poster. I understand that's down to major RL issues, but it does make it hard to progress the game, and I hate to just force things along.

Sarlon
03-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Exile... try Citi...

I told him to go back to hell....least they hire anyone with a pulse

Exile
03-28-2014, 02:17 AM
Exile... try Citi...

Had an interview at one of their competitors today. Also, sorry. I got caught up in relieving my own unemployment. Not bitter, just easily distrac ooh someone else is hiring!

Jay 2K Winger
03-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks for an IC post, Exile.

Expect a response on Sunday, when I'll have the time to compose Lerga's answers.

Exile
03-29-2014, 05:07 AM
Aye aye captain!

Chanlin
04-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Wee, we're underway again :D

Exile
04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Haven't forgotten, just a busy weekend. Will reply tomorrow or Monday.

Exile
04-09-2014, 04:21 AM
Sorry, a day late I know, but hopefully not a buck short. (Can't help but feel like it though.) Anyways, I was watching over the pilot episode and was thinking. We don't really have an ambassador. I'm not sure it's really necessary, but our ship does have an extra cuple crew quarters so it's completely feasible to put one on the ship without even having to rent out a shuttle for one.

It's not like an ambassador has to be a companion, the Aces and Eights ambassador was the ship's owner and a travelling high stakes gambler, I once made a concept for one that was an aristocrat/noble with a secret, the possibilities are endless. In his own way Sheppard Book served as one as well for that matter.

Before Tyger gripes, the treatment in the post was for brandishing weapons in front of the passengers.

Tyg3rW01f
04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
he wasn't brandishing them... he was simply standing there, fully armed, not wearing his duster. Just like Mando was doing when they met with Lerga.

NICE double-standard. Alliance hate Browncoat MUCH?!

no no, BRANDISHING his weapons would be something like flipping a knife from handle to point to handle to point, practicing his quick-draw, or practicing his hand-to-knife combat moves, or... etc, or etc, or etc, etc, etc...

Instead, he was just standing there. Now our passengers know that they can divide the crew and conquer. 'Gratz.

Bravo, Exile. Bravo.

Exile
04-10-2014, 02:26 AM
*facepalm* I just read over that and your right. For some reason when I read your post and pictured it in my head I pictured your character having them actually out and fiddling with his knives. That was not intentional. Is there anyway I can re-do that one. I am an ass.

Also, I actually prefer the Browncoats in real life and see Alliance as tyranical despots, I just like playing against type.

Tyg3rW01f
04-10-2014, 02:49 AM
no retcon for this one, please....

Jay 2K Winger
04-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Yes, I will be making use of the 'division' in the crew that Zhan and Aiden have inadvertently implied exists. Not right away, though. Heh.

Now... Floodfire.

As precious little information is available from the series about what makes the round-cards different from regular playing cards, I'm establishing this right now.

Round-card decks have sixty-seven cards, arranged into six suits of ten cards each, the six Noble cards, and the Yin-Yang card. (The Yin-Yang is generally analogous to the Joker of a standard deck.) The Nobility set are suit-less and carry no numerical value outside the Nobility, and depending on the game can take on different qualities or alignments or whatever. In ascending order, the Nobility are the Courtesan, the Page, the Knave, the Queen, and the King. There is a sixth Noble card called the Crown, which again varies in its placement depending on the rules of the game being played, either being above the King, or below the Courtesan.

The six round-card suits are Fruit, Sun, Moon, Wand, Fish, Diamond. The cards numbered 1 to 10, although they're sometimes colloquially called by the artwork depicted upon the face of the card. (Which can vary by deck.)

Floodfire is played similar to Rummy. A dealer is chosen at random and passes clockwise among the players (up to six). Each player is dealt an equal number of cards (max of eight), the remainder becoming the stock. Rules are identical to Rummy, except the Noble cards can only be played with each other, and the Yin-Yang is considered 'wild.' A target score is decided by all players at the start of the game. When a player reaches that score, the game is over.

When a player discards or lays out all the cards in their hand, the round ends. The other players' cards are given points which are awarded to the round's winner. Noble cards are worth ten each, the Yin-Yang fifteen, all other cards their face value. However, how the points are scored for the winner can vary depending on the suit.

Red cards (Fruit, Sun, Wand) are worth positive points. Blue cards (Moon, Fish, Diamond) are worth negative points. The target score can be reached from either a positive or negative value. (For instance, if the target is 200 points, victory comes when a player reaches -200 or +200.)

It's a common practice (but not a rule) when discarding a card to the discard pile to say "Burn" if discarding a red card, and "Damp" if discarding a blue card.

Sarlon
04-12-2014, 09:24 PM
lame excuse in 3.....2......1......

So I have my account set up to send me instant notification of new posts in the IC thread....and somehow I missed nearly a page of posts....I just thought it died back for a bit.

I'm also in my last 3 weeks of classes with most of my projects coming due soon, plus final exams. Seems like work is my only chance to get anything done half the time.

I'm all caught up and just made a post IC.....hope this doesn't happen again.

I don't want to drop out, but my posting may be erratic for the next few weeks.

Tyg3rW01f
04-13-2014, 04:23 AM
oh... not sure if I just skipped clean over it, but I'm not entirely certain I saw any mention of what class of vessel the Deucaleon is... sadly, I've kinda been visualizing a version of the Firefly... I know that's wrong, but hey...

Ellain
04-13-2014, 12:06 PM
DC-88 "Lady Liberty", I believe. :)

Ghel
04-15-2014, 12:33 AM
I will likely be on only sparsely the next week or so. I passed a kidney stone on Saturday, and I'm still dealing with a nasty kidney infection. I'll catch up when I'm feeling a bit better.

Tyg3rW01f
04-15-2014, 12:41 AM
DC-88 "Lady Liberty", I believe. :)

there a clicky-linky-link to an image of a ship/floorplan out there on the net?
I can't seem to get Google to dig one up.

Chanlin
04-15-2014, 12:57 AM
I'll catch up when I'm feeling a bit better.

Ewww... get better. Kidney stones suck.

there a clicky-linky-link to an image of a ship/floorplan out there on the net?
I can't seem to get Google to dig one up.

The DC-88 is very similar to the Serenity in layout. It is longer and thinner. The floor plans are nearly identical with more rooms in the neck and a longer, lower and thinner cargo area.

Exile
04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I just want to start by saying: Thank you. Thank you for all letting me know this was here. Thank you for indulging me and your patience with me as a first tim player of Play By Post style games. I've learned a lot and this opportunity.

I would to continue by saying that I am sorry. I'm sorry my mistakes. I'm sorry for my inconvieniences to you all. I'm sorry for not living up to my character or this game. I'm sorry that it turns out that I just can't enjoy this style of game.

I'd like to finish this resignation from this game by saying: fare well, good luck, and good game to you all.

Chanlin
04-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't think you have any mistakes to be sorry for.

It was fun while it lasted. Thank you for playing. Zhan was quite the interesting character. I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand your reasons too.

Ellain
04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
I'll agree with Chanlin, I thought you were doing just fine! This style game is tricky, though. I know I'll miss you!

Tyg3rW01f
04-25-2014, 10:46 PM
so... how do we move on from this point?

Ellain
04-26-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't know. But I will be in Europe for the next 2 weeks. :/

Sarlon
04-26-2014, 06:28 PM
take me with you :P

Chanlin
04-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Well the way I see it we really have 3 options:

1: Start over with new characters.

2: Continue as is and have either J2K or one of us take over Zhan.

3: End the game here.

I'm all for 1 or 2 if the rest of the group is.

Just for the record, I just took over in a long term position for a Teacher who is very ill. I have a poop ton of work to catch up on in the next few weeks so my posting availability will be limited.

Sarlon
04-28-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm all for 1 or 2 though I'd prefer 2....

I'm in 2 weeks of hell starting tomorrow, finals.... so my posting would be spotty for that time frame.

Tyg3rW01f
04-28-2014, 02:48 AM
I choose... Option 2, please.

otherwise I'd have Wolf simply left on a planet with his fee and looking for work.