PDA

View Full Version : Wow, the salesman sucks more than his product

Kittish
10-23-2013, 10:48 AM
We were recently in the market for a new, up market vacuum because I'm sick of replacing cheap ones once a year or more. The last 3 machines we've had have all been the same brand and have all died the same death. Dust and pet hair and my hair and cheap lightweight construction all conspiring together.

So, we stopped in at a locally owned self-styled 'superstore' to see if they had the vacuum I'd decided I wanted, or something fairly close. I'm guessing this guy was the owner... Almost from the first words out of his mouth he's arguing with me about what I want. And about what killed my previous vacs. And about how filters work. And how often I have to change the bag on a bagged vac.

Seriously, I gave this guy a good 10 minutes (which turned out to be 9 more than I should have), and he spent every second insuring that not only will I never spend a dime in his store, but that I will also steer everyone I know away from him. Way to go, dude. Well done.

I finally cut him off mid rant, said thank you, goodbye and walked out before he could process what I'd done. As we cleared the door he gave us this parting shot: 'You'll be back when your vacuum needs repair!' Um, no, no we won't. I'll drive an hour each way to Vegas first.

ReverendBSB
10-23-2013, 08:40 PM
I highly recommend a Dyson. We got the Animal because we have too many pets and it works great. Expensive though.

We could only afford it because I had a laptop die on full replacement warranty. I already had a new computer and the equivalent replacement was several hundred dollars less than the money I had paid (not arguing with that, it is fair). I asked if I could just get store credit and to my surprise they gave me credit for the original purchase price, not the price for the now three year later replacement.

Kittish
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM
In fact the Dyson Animal is exactly what we got. Was delivered yesterday, and will get its first real trial tonight (I only did a small test patch to be sure it worked yesterday.).

DGoddessChardonnay
10-23-2013, 09:29 PM
In fact the Dyson Animal is exactly what we got. Was delivered yesterday, and will get its first real trial tonight (I only did a small test patch to be sure it worked yesterday.).

Congrats on the Dyson . . . I bought one last year (did RTO) and, while expensive, it's worth it.

I've got the DC25 Animal (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fappliances.productwiki.com% 2Fdyson-dc25-animal%2F&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=w7p9sNPA2Ua1jM&tbnh=225&tbnw=225&zoom=1&docid=Rjtu6iSv8Sf8WM&ei=Rz9oUvyLO4Ty2gXq54DYCA&ved=0CAEQsCU) (in purple). It's great for that pesky dog hair (and my husky mix, Abby, sheds twice a year if not more.:lol:)

And it'll come in handy this holiday season to suck up possible glitterbombs.:p

thatcrazyredhead
10-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Dyson is the shiznit. When we get a house, I want one of those and an armada of Roombas.

wolfie
10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
my husky mix, Abby, sheds twice a year if not more.:lol:

Be glad you don't have a German Sheppard like some of my friends do. It sheds twice a year - for 6 months at a time.:D

Kittish
10-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Our current dog doesn't blow her coat, but she does shed constantly in moderate amounts, as do the cats, both longhaired. Then there's me. I shed almost as much as the animals do, and my hair is quite long. One of the things that sold me on the Dyson is that they made it easy to get at and clean the roller bar in the regular vacuum head.

The thing that gets me, is the guy at the vac store didn't even TRY to figure out some way to sell me what I wanted. I'd have been willing to spend an extra hundred bucks or so to buy from a local business owner. Oh well, his loss.

Ironclad Alibi
10-24-2013, 12:19 AM
I still have and use my Kirby vacuum cleaner I bought about 40 years ago.

MoonCat
10-24-2013, 01:19 AM
I still have and use my Kirby vacuum cleaner I bought about 40 years ago.

Those things are fairly indestructible. My brother used to sell them, hated that job, and then ended up managing the repair dept. at one of the local Kirby shops (well, he pretty much WAS the repair shop AND the manager :lol:). People used to bring in vacuums that were 30, 40, 50 years old that just needed a new belt.

KatherineB
10-24-2013, 01:39 AM
Vacuum salesmen are weird. We have an entire chain of cheap vacuum shops here and they are owned and staffed by the most incredibly sexist, mysogonistic pigs I have ever seen in my life. I went in years ago and there were four salesmen, two male customers and me. Both male customers (buying single vacuums for their homes) had two salesmen helping them each. They didn't even have time or energy to acknowledge me.

One customer got on his phone to check something with his wife and this was the one-sided conversation I heard:
Custy: Dear, I'm looking at the vacuums. Did you say you wanted one with Feature X or Feature Y?
Sales 1: Hey, don't ask her what you're getting! Tell her what you're getting!
Sales 2) Yeah, she's only your wife. Why is she involved at all?

I swear, I was waiting for one of them to grab the phone and end the call or abuse the wife for her involvement or something. Instead the two salesmen (clearly realising that their man wasn't a 'real man' strolled back to the desk.

I wasn't far away from them and got my only acknowledgement of the day:

"Tell your husband to come in. We'll help him."

Strangely, I left at that point.

fireheart
10-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Vacuum salesmen are weird. We have an entire chain of cheap vacuum shops here and they are owned and staffed by the most incredibly sexist, mysogonistic pigs I have ever seen in my life. I went in years ago and there were four salesmen, two male customers and me. Both male customers (buying single vacuums for their homes) had two salesmen helping them each. They didn't even have time or energy to acknowledge me.

That isn't Godfrey's is it? My partner's aunt worked there for a period of time and now quite happily works at a hardware chain.

KatherineB
10-24-2013, 02:00 AM
That isn't Godfrey's is it? My partner's aunt worked there for a period of time and now quite happily works at a hardware chain.

And we have a winner! :yourock:

fireheart
10-24-2013, 03:42 AM
And we have a winner! :yourock:

I should walk into the Godfrey's near home and test this theory out now...there's one out my boyfriend's way and one out my way. (actually 2 come to think of it)

As for vacuum cleaners, we have a Dyson one that swivels around on what looks like an exercise ball at the bottom. Can't remember the name for the life of me (it's a standing one).

wolfie
10-24-2013, 04:20 AM
As for vacuum cleaners, we have a Dyson one that swivels around on what looks like an exercise ball at the bottom. Can't remember the name for the life of me (it's a standing one).

Sounds like the "Sphere". Note that despite the name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere), this vacuum cleaner is useless as a solar energy collector.

I've got my own "stupid vacuum cleaner salesman" story. A while after I moved out on my own, I was shopping for a vacuum, and had already been to a few places (looking for a cannister with a powered nozzle). A Future Shop ad showed a picture of the type I was looking for, and a very attractive price. When I got there, it turned out that price applied to an "electric broom" type vacuum. I told the salesman what I was looking for, and that I had seen one that fit my needs at $other_store for $price. He showed me their models of the type I was looking for, and all were over $price. When I didn't show any interest in Future Shop's offerings, he asked me how flexible I was on price:confused:. Considering I had told him I could get what I needed elsewhere for $price, shouldn't that imply that I was NOT flexible at all?

thatcrazyredhead
10-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Sales 2) Yeah, she's only your wife. Why is she involved at all?

I find this odd, because I would think mysoginists would expect the wife to be the only one actually using the vacuum.

KatherineB
10-25-2013, 12:06 AM
I find this odd, because I would think mysoginists would expect the wife to be the only one actually using the vacuum.

True, but you can't expect the poor dear to be able to make a decision! She'll use what he tells her to, darn it! /sarcasm

protege
10-25-2013, 01:54 AM

I have a hefty ShopVac for those :D

But seriously, lighter duties are handled with an older Eureka upright. It was a lot less than the Dyson line, and has no problem picking up the kitteh fur. I have a very large, very fluffy Maine Coon...who is constantly shedding.

LillFilly
10-25-2013, 02:21 AM
This, the Shark Navigator (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Navigator-Upright-Bagless-Vacuum-NV22L/15742934?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=46691194489&category=0%3A4044%3A90548%3A4047%3A12787&client_guid=7aa5167a-64bd-48ff-a8dd-e9af9853f90d&config_id=2&parent_item_id=22789319&guid=4ce4a712-303c-45af-b67b-015cfe89637e&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n), IS THE BEST VACUUM I'VE EVER BOUGHT! I've had Dirt Devil and other name brands, but this one is my new favorite and when it dies I'll buy another. It picks up seriously heavy stuff, even hay and fur, it's easier to clean than any other vacuum I've tried, it's light, it gets around tight places, and you can rinse and reuse the filters. I was looking for a good 'never lose suction' unit, and was impressed by the reviews on the Shark and it was a quarter of the price of a name brand. Ok, so I really like my vacuum, but only as a friend, really! :lol:

AlmightyALT
10-25-2013, 06:23 PM
::makes notes:: Thanks ya'll! I just kicked a vaccum to death in frustration (hubby is gutting it for a forge blower now) and am looking for a new one to handle my hair, my doggies hair, and my hubby's dirt. Now I have some names to research! :)

KellyHabersham
10-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Personally, I consider dogs to be the best vaccum.....seems to be nothing they won't eat. (or at least try to) :lol:

DGoddessChardonnay
10-25-2013, 07:17 PM
I have a hefty ShopVac for those :D

But seriously, lighter duties are handled with an older Eureka upright. It was a lot less than the Dyson line, and has no problem picking up the kitteh fur. I have a very large, very fluffy Maine Coon...who is constantly shedding.

But can she outshed Abby? I find clumps of fine, airy fur everywhere - no matter what time of year.:eek::lol:

Kittish
10-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Dogs do make good vacuums, at least for the larger bits. But they don't do so well with fur and hair and dust.

So far I'm liking the Dyson (DC39). Bit of a learning curve for steering it, I've only used uprights before and this is a cannister.

protege
10-26-2013, 12:38 AM
I find clumps of fine, airy fur everywhere - no matter what time of year.:eek::lol:

That's about right. Baxter leaves dark grey fur everywhere...especially if he's been playing or sleeping there. His favorite spots in the kitchen aren't too bad--a little Swiffer, and it's gone. But, the living room is another story.

LillFilly
10-26-2013, 04:22 AM
.....seems to be nothing they won't eat. (or at least try to) :lol:

Let's see. My dog eats underwear, rabbit poo, lizard poo, plastic spray caps and weathered squirrel carcasses. :rolleyes:

dalesys
10-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Let's see. My dog eats... :rolleyes:
And wants kisses.

fma_fanatic
10-26-2013, 09:48 AM
I will say that it probably was the pets that killed your old vacs, but only because I know people who have gone through the same thing. Once they got a Dyson - never had a problem again.

We bought a Dyson when we got our house and it's easily one of the best expensive appliances we own, aside from the stove we bought a few years back. I forget what model we have, but I know they don't make it anymore(hell, it's nearly 7 years old!).

The sales guy/owner/jerk face didn't deserve your money.

DGoddessChardonnay
10-26-2013, 12:06 PM
And wants kisses.

Mine gives sloppy wet kisses.:p

Even funnier is when she's trying to give me kisses and her butt is wiggling all over the place at the same time!:lol:

I will say that it probably was the pets that killed your old vacs, but only because I know people who have gone through the same thing. Once they got a Dyson - never had a problem again.

Mom and I suspect that's what worked our previous 2 vacuum cleaners to death - both Bissell bagless types and the last one we had for almost 7 years that we paid 20 bucks for at a yard sale - and it ran better than the one before, which we'd paid around 100 or so at Walmart a decade ago (that one lasted maybe 3 years, 4 tops).:)

OreoAdler
10-26-2013, 03:28 PM
I have the purple Dyson animal bagless upright vacuum. Mainly because I have a long haired cat and a long haired daughter. XD All three of them shed.

Best investment I ever made. All other vacuums were killed by the hair/fur.

DGoddessChardonnay
10-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I have the purple Dyson animal bagless upright vacuum. Mainly because I have a long haired cat and a long haired daughter. XD All three of them shed.

Best investment I ever made. All other vacuums were killed by the hair/fur.

Best money we spent in the last few years.:D I was SO excited about finally having a Dyson, I took pictures and posted them on FB.

Then one of my cousins accused me of "Being like a Kardashian." I have something none of those girls have combined . . . that being a BRAIN and can figure out how to use the thing without the instruction manual.:p:lol:

dalesys
10-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Mine gives sloppy wet kisses.:p
Except to the Glazed Donut Monster...
[/Cos]

raudf
10-27-2013, 04:20 AM
Personally, I consider dogs to be the best vaccum.....seems to be nothing they won't eat. (or at least try to) :lol:

Garbage disposals, that's what the dogs are good for. They'll pre-clean dishes. If you're lucky, they'll wait for you to finish eating first, but that's a rare thing. :p

My vacuum isn't that high end. It's a eureka, good enough for what I put the carpet through. I do so want a Dyson, but right now, it's not in budget and when it is, I probably won't have the carpet any more.

Mishi
10-27-2013, 08:21 AM

So true! Danny (our male Weimaraner) even tried to drink my paintbrush water the other day. He's like a Labrador; tries to eat everything.

We have an upright Dyson too and I love that I can order parts for it off the website. Our brushbar died and I was able to replace it, easily, within 3 days of ordering the new part.

muppet101
10-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Love my Dyson, think it's a DC25. Got it to deal with my hair which sheds like any cat or dog in moulting season and it does a wonderful job. If you buy one, test yor old vacuum first by using it on a rug. Then run the Dyson over it and see how much more crud it gets up than your old cleaner. I was amazed

DGoddessChardonnay
10-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Love my Dyson, think it's a DC25. Got it to deal with my hair which sheds like any cat or dog in moulting season and it does a wonderful job. If you buy one, test yor old vacuum first by using it on a rug. Then run the Dyson over it and see how much more crud it gets up than your old cleaner. I was amazed

It's a huge difference to be sure. Another thing I noticed the first time I used mine is that there is more freedom of movement because of the ball under the canister - typical vacuums are harder to turn around sharp corners and furniture.

But it didn't take me long to adjust to it at all . . . and I also like how the extender wand stores inside the hose on the back - comes in handy when I have to get into crevices behind furniture or along the baseboards where the carpet runs into the wall.:D

Teysa
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I swear shedding season for my dog is Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. We could make an extra rug with all the fur she sheds. I may have to look into one of those Dysons. The vacuum cleaner I have now isn't bad, but it's pre dog and doesn't do such a good job with getting the fur up.

XCashier
10-29-2013, 02:01 AM
This, the Shark Navigator (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Navigator-Upright-Bagless-Vacuum-NV22L/15742934?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=46691194489&category=0%3A4044%3A90548%3A4047%3A12787&client_guid=7aa5167a-64bd-48ff-a8dd-e9af9853f90d&config_id=2&parent_item_id=22789319&guid=4ce4a712-303c-45af-b67b-015cfe89637e&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n), IS THE BEST VACUUM I'VE EVER BOUGHT!
I have a Shark Navigator (http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Navigator-Professional-Canister-UV420/product-reviews/B008JG0OIK) too, and it's quite good. Much, much better than the previous vacuum (I think that was a Eureka, can't remember). It's the best vacuum I've ever bought, too.

I'm hoping to eventually get a house with hard floors, but I'll still use the vacuum for the upholstery.

EricKei
10-29-2013, 03:09 PM
*whistles innocently* :D
Garbage disposals, that's what the dogs are good for. They'll pre-clean dishes. Indeed. I have a friend who used to insist that dishes thus "pre-cleaned" did not need to be actually washed after that before being used by humans >_> I just waited until he was out of the room to pop them into the sink/dishwasher. His theory was an extension of the adage that "dogs have fewer bacteria in their mouths than humans do" -- and while this is true, that only matters if they don't contain any bacteria that a human's body would not also have.

dalesys
10-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Garbage disposals, that's what the dogs are good for.
A former coworker would feed his uncle's dog crayons...

Dog doo with sprinkles!

Now add glitter...