PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive salesman insults me to try sell

HotelMinion
11-15-2013, 03:33 AM
So I was in the mall looking for outfits to buy for my vacation next month, and couldn't believe how expensive everything was. I was expecting clothes to be $50 at most per item. It was more like $100 per item. So while I was looking around for a sale when I wandered in a shop for beauty creams and lotions.
A girl offered me a flier, and she seemed unaggressive so I took it. She told me about their products. Now I've had skin problem for as long as I can remember, and nothing seems to cure it totally. So I was interested and I agreed to buy some toner and moisturizer for $150. She said it was a year's supply worth, and I was skeptical but didn't want to return home empty handed so I decided to buy it.
Everything was nice and peachy and I turned to leave, and was immediately jumped on by Aggressive Salesman (AS). Before I knew it, he steered me to a chair and started putting this mask on me without asking. Now, I've worked in sales before, so I'm no spring chicken to their techniques. But I've never dealt with a salesman as more aggressive as he. Basically, he wanted me to drop $2K for some anti aging mask that I didn't see really made much difference. He then started spitting at me, literally, how old and wrinkly and saggy I looked (gee thanks), and how much I needed this, and how men would be flocking to me if I bought it. When I said no, he started asking me all kinds of personal questions, like when my birthday was and claiming that, he, had the same. I said no again more firmly. I would've left at that point but it was impossible unless I pushed him out of the way and I didn't want to get in trouble. I would've told him to move, but he would ramble everytime I tried to speak and I was raised that speaking while another spoke was rude. It's so ingrained in me that I couldn't do it if I tried. -_-
Then he started adding all sorts of stuff, such as a set for each member of my family, even the males. I laughed at him and said that I doubted my dad and brother would use face creams, they'd see it as too "girly" and he got even more scary and his tone of voice went up louder until he was practically yelling in my face.
Finally, after hours of this, he moved out of the way and I got up to go. Even then he was still shouting at me "deals". Some people were staring (the other employees and customers) at him and throwing me sympathetic looks, but no one did anything. I said, "No thanks, bye!" and he said, "OK! BYE!" angrily.
I was so shocked that anyone would try to sell something in such a mean manner that I called everyone I knew and told them, and they were all like, "Wow."
Turns out that he was the owner, not a salesman, according to the nice girl that sold me the moisturizer. I really hope she was joking. BTW, the products work great! ^.^

Willis
11-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I don't know how you put up with that shit for so long. I've learned that people like him have to be handled differently than others. You said "I said no again more firmly. I would've left at that point but it was impossible unless I pushed him out of the way and I didn't want to get in trouble."

I'm sorry but what you went through I would've pushed him out of the way instead of enduring more abuse from him. He either would've got pushed out of the way or I would've been gunning relentlessly to get him fired for what he did. There's no excuse for his behavior and either get out of the way or be taught a lesson. There's usually a few options but generally it's the easy or the hard way. To dispose of people like him quicker the hard way is pretty much what they seem to react too. Him being pushed out of the way would've been the easy and nice way.

jennie
11-15-2013, 11:04 AM
If he was the owner, *could* he have been fired? Just a ?...

Hanzoku
11-15-2013, 12:40 PM
We had something like this when we were in Las Vegas a few years ago on vacation for a friend's wedding. We were in one of the hotels in the vendor alley, and my girlfriend was interested in some of the temporary tattoos. She was discussing it with the booth owner, and he was eager to sit her down, showed her a tattoo, and then started applying it. Around that point, she finally spoke up and said she didn't want that one.

Wow, he turned from nice to mean in a heartbeat. He started trying to badger us to pay for the tattoo that he started applying without her agreement, only to get laughed in his face. He also refused to provide anything to clean off the half-applied tattoo - (it was a design she really wasn't interested in). We ended up having to go to a nearby bathroom and try to wipe off as much as possible with water from the tap and paper towels, but it still took a few weeks for it to fade away fully.

XCashier
11-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Turns out that he was the owner, not a salesman, according to the nice girl that sold me the moisturizer. I really hope she was joking. BTW, the products work great! ^.^
I don't care how well the products work; if some jackass salesman treated me like that, I'd demand a refund right then and there. I refuse to put a single penny into the coffer of a guy like that. Doubly so if the guy is the owner; he should know better than to treat customers like that!!!

Zellie Crescent
11-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Any time I'm in the mall and there's one of those booths in the middle and there's someone off to one side, I quickly dart to the other side just to keep going without being bothered be them. It sucks when there's 2 people working them especially around Christmas, I had to duck into a store until he got someone else. Seriously, unless I come up to you then leave me the hell alone!

thatcrazyredhead
11-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Before I knew it, he steered me to a chair and started putting this mask on me without asking.

Next time something like this happens, just yell "ASSAULT!!!" as loudly as you can. Seriously, where do people get the idea it's ok to touch strangers without their permission?

Ben_Who
11-16-2013, 04:55 AM
I don't know what they're demanding of the salesmen at one particular kiosk in the mall, but they're getting pretty desperate. Last year, my roommate and I were just passing by, and they grabbed his wrist, slammed it down on the counter, and started rubbing lotion into the back of his hand - without a single word of introduction or anything remotely resembling a sales pitch. Oh hell yes, assault.

I doubt that same booth is there - they come and go so quickly - but some of the other booths, like the guys at the cell phone kiosk, have the same look of desperation in their faces. Telling them that my cell phone needs are met for the next two years is like informing them of a death in the family. I've been practically chased by people selling hair extensions, and last week found my path linebacker-blocked by a woman selling those flannel things that apparently go in the microwave. Meanwhile, the guys selling the utensils and T-shirts that I might actually be interested in are sitting there reading a magazine and leaving me to browse in peace. I got a "Let me know if you see anything you're interested in" from one of them yesterday.

Seshat
11-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Anyone who touches me would get SUCH a yelling at by my family! And that's after the yelp of pain from me.

For not just your sake, but the sake of more fragile people, get help from friends and family to get over your 'niceness'. Learn to order - even demand - that people who touch you without your permission back off.

Did you actually have any interest in the face mask? That he stole - yes, stole - hours of your time is even worse. And what if you had allergies to stuff in the mask? Lots of people have allergies to stuff in masks like that.

Basically, you were subject to assault and time-theft: in such a case, it's perfectly polite to shout "GET OFF ME YOU FILTHY SOFA!"

(Or, you know, an actual insult. But it really confuses the heck out of people when you call them a sofa. ;) )

raudf
11-16-2013, 07:52 PM
I have family members who are allergic to skin care products.. and I have psoriasis. We try to be polite, usually just saying, "Allergic," and keep on trucking. The one time someone grabbed ME to try and slather a lotion on, I yanked back and said, "What part of ALLERGIC do you not get? The part where I SUE YOU?" She was lucky I had my other arm full of stuff that I didn't want to break.. or she'd been pulling back a stump. I don't like being touched.

Pagan
11-17-2013, 12:57 AM
I've gotten to the place where I have no cumpunction over bitching them out in the middle of the mall if they carry on after I've said "no, thank you".

I've been practically chased by people selling hair extensions,

Since I've grown my hair out again, I've been getting annoyed by the hair straightening iron people. They get such a look of disappointment when they ask me how long it takes me to straighten my hair only to find out it's naturally this poker-straight....

Captain Trips
11-17-2013, 04:11 AM
Assault? Yes, but I'd go further - "unlawful detainment" I believe is the term for temporary kidnapping. Yes, that's what he did to you - he forced you to stay against your will by power of intimidation.

I'd look into filing charges. Warning, though: I am not a lawyer, perhaps you would be better off not taking legal advice from me. But what he did to you was definitely wrong, and quite probably illegal.

Eisa
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
That would have pissed me off so much. No, you don't get to just shove someone into a chair and start putting some kind of mask on them. What a twat!

I'm also allergic to aloe vera, and a lot of stuff has aloe vera in it, so if it did, well thanks for giving me hives and making my face swell up, asshole. :rolleyes:

protege
11-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I doubt that same booth is there - they come and go so quickly - but some of the other booths, like the guys at the cell phone kiosk, have the same look of desperation in their faces. Telling them that my cell phone needs are met for the next two years is like informing them of a death in the family.

At least you can have fun with some of them. After being told that my somewhat-old flip phone "wasn't going to last much longer" by someone at Verizon, I wasn't happy. Even less so, when she insisted that I needed to upgrade, since the new phones have more features. I put her in her place, when I loudly commented that why the hell should I buy a phone with more features...when I don't use most of the features my phone has now? No answer for that one :angel:

I don't know why sales people--especially *commissioned* sales people--think it's a good idea to insult customers. There are plenty of businesses that will be happy to take our money, and *not* be douches about it.

Kiwi
11-18-2013, 04:32 AM
I had a manager when I worked at a make up counter who would take the product of the day, a make up brush and would go up to people and start applying it without asking. She thought her sales staff were "lazy" for not wanting to do the same.

That is assult and customers would RUN from her.

catcul
11-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Why do some people think that insulting your customer is a good sales strategy? Why do they think that chasing customers is a good idea? I was in a mall in Norfork, VA, when this cell phone salesman started approaching me. My social phobia started flaring up and I was almost running to avoid him. He basically said that I can upgrade my phone; I just kept moving.

I thought about that after reading Ben_Who's comment. At first, I thought I should've done the following.

SM: Salesman
Me: :wave:

SM: Wouldn't you like to upgrade that phone?
Me: If you can guess the area code on my phone, I'll stick around. If you can't, I'm leaving.
SM: 757
Me: That is incorrect, good-bye. :wave:

I realize now that I handled it perfectly when it happened.

-----

HotelMinion's story reminded me of this story from NotAlwaysWorking.com (http://notalwaysworking.com/):
Making Up And Breaking Down (http://notalwaysworking.com/making-up-and-breaking-down/31735)

Jetfire
11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't know why sales people--especially *commissioned* sales people--think it's a good idea to insult customers. There are plenty of businesses that will be happy to take our money, and *not* be douches about it.

Especially since the time those "sales people" spend trying to get a sale from a resistant customer, who knows how many possible customers are passing them by and/or are being turned off by the hard sell they are seeing being made.

Unless the place is dead to begin with (at which point one customer won't make a stitch of difference), just let the resistant ones go and focus on the interested ones.

Luckily in my city those types of sellers aren't all that common. Our main mall has 1 booth (set up in the short hall between WalMart and the rest of the mall) and they're constantly trying to flag people down, and they do snare quite a few people (I rarely don't see one of them doing their demo and often two or even three people are doing a demo at once), but they are quick to move on to greener pastures if there's no interest shown.

For me, I am not a social person; I'm very much an introverted personality, though I have no problems in crowds; just when I'm the focus of a crowd. So overall, I'll ignore those stalls (esp when I'm at a mall in Vegas) and keep on walking.

Mom's more of an extrovert, and she does often get snared by some of those sellers, but she's learning her lessons fast. She's getting the knack of saying No and moving on without pausing.

Argus
11-18-2013, 04:44 PM
If he was the owner, *could* he have been fired? Just a ?...

It's a store in a mall. I imagine the absence of that offender could be made a condition for lease renewal.

wolfie
11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
I had a manager when I worked at a make up counter who would take the product of the day, a make up brush and would go up to people and start applying it without asking. She thought her sales staff were "lazy" for not wanting to do the same.

That is assult and customers would RUN from her.

And if the people she tries applying it to are allergic to some of the ingredients (not uncommon), it's assault with a deadly weapon.

winner every time
11-19-2013, 04:49 PM
I despise salesmen like that... I try to avoid them like the plague. It's bad enough when I'm getting badgered, but I don't at all take kindly to being touched.

I've gotten to the place where I have no cumpunction over bitching them out in the middle of the mall if they carry on after I've said "no, thank you".

Since I've grown my hair out again, I've been getting annoyed by the hair straightening iron people. They get such a look of disappointment when they ask me how long it takes me to straighten my hair only to find out it's naturally this poker-straight....

I find the hair straightening people equally annoying, but in my case, it's because I've encountered quite a few who insist that I MUST desire straight hair. Oh, the disappointment when I inform them that I actually am quite fond of my curls. Also, why should I spend hours heat-damaging my hair to get it 'wavy' at best (for only a few hours too - my hair doesn't take to straightening), when all I have to do is mouse, tossle, and go about my day?

thatcrazyredhead
11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the mineral make-up people love me. I was walking through the mall one time and the girl at the mineral mask-up kiosk tried to stop me, asking, "What kind of make-up do you use?" She looked so crestfallen (and somewhat confused) when I replied "I don't" without even slowing down.

My poor husband has one if those faces that seems to encourage people to approach him. Since we've been together, I've taught him not to even make eye contact with the kiosk sales people. Otherwise we'd be suck there while he tried to find a nice way to disentangle himself, cuz he's not the kind of guy to just tell them to fuck off.

Grendus
11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Meanwhile, the guys selling the utensils and T-shirts that I might actually be interested in are sitting there reading a magazine and leaving me to browse in peace. I got a "Let me know if you see anything you're interested in" from one of them yesterday.

The guys selling things people are interested in don't need to chase people down. The guys who assault customers tend to be selling things that customers won't seek out on their own.

Kanalah
11-21-2013, 09:13 PM
It's people like that that keep me out of our local malls.

Well, that and a lack of fabric stores in malls.

wolfie
11-22-2013, 01:29 AM
It's people like that that keep me out of our local mallsmauls.

Fixed that for you.:D Considering what the crowds are going to be like on Black Friday, the homonym is a more accurate description.

Kanalah
11-22-2013, 02:27 AM
yeah. I'm just generally anti-social I guess. Never got the appeal of spending money for fun.

Course any spending money I have I buy things the kidlets need or fabric.

Tama
11-22-2013, 02:29 AM
The Maul? You guys live in Ankh-Morpork?

XCashier
11-22-2013, 04:43 AM
The Maul? You guys live in Ankh-Morpork?
Well, go there on Black Friday, you're likely to see the Silver Horde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_the_Barbarian#Cohen_the_Barbarian) wreaking havoc... :D

ozcatbug
11-23-2013, 07:45 AM
I've had several pushy salesmen try to push their wares on me despite a very definite "NO" from me.

One was trying to get me to buy a hair straightener. No go for me, as I have dead straight hair. Not even a kink or tiny hint of a wave. Funny that mum always has people asking where she got her "perm" done. Entirely natural in her case. Obviously missed those genes.

Another salesman tried to get me to buy hair extensions. I was walking by and he told me he could extend my hair to my waist if I wanted. I did play around with him and told him that I could see him extending other people's hair to their waist, but not mine. He insisted that he could, and promised his product was so good that no one would be able to tell. I insisted he couldn't extend my hair to my waist, then took my hair out of the bun I had it in. Yep, the resulting plait extended beyond my waist. It was so long I could sit on it. Told the guy he had learned an important lesson, make sure you know the hair length of the customer before promising to apply extensions that are shorter than the natural length.

The last one I believe I have mentioned before, and he was the worst. I have very reactive skin and some severe allergies to ingredients commonly found in cosmetics. So I am very careful with trying new products. As I was walking by a kiosk in one shopping centre one of the salesmen slapped some cream into my hand. I hadn't even looked at the kiosk, I was just walking by to get to a department store, but I stopped, looked at my hand, looked at the guy, and asked him what the hell he had just put on my hand. He starts in on his spiel, but I interrupt and say what is in the cream. He tells me to rub it into my hands, but I say I want to know the ingredients because I am allergic to a lot of stuff. Well that starts him on the hypoallergenic, all natural ingredients of the magic wonder cream, but I start to panic when I can feel my hand getting warm, plus my nose starts to itch like a sneeze is going to happen. I tell the guy that I need to get the cream off as I'm allergic, and he still insists it's all natural so totally non-allergenic, when I say that it has lavender in it, which I am highly allergic to. I then attempt to rub the cream off onto his top as he won't get me a cloth, but he jumps back and gets me a tissue. I then inform the guy that I was going to the chemist to get some anti-histimines, and he would be reimbursing me as soon as I got back. By then he could see that my skin was turning red where the cream had touched it. I went and got my pills, sneezing every time I got a whiff of the lavender scent, and a woman at the pharmacy showed me where to clean off the residue. I then took my receipt back to the kiosk, where the guy was still insisting to his coworker that it was all natural so couldn't cause allergies, but they both agreed to pay for my tablets, especially when they could see the mark on my hand. I know now I could have taken it further, but I just wanted to get out of there.

Monterey Jack
11-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Considering how every establishment that sells food these days has a "Please inform server if any member of your party has a food allergy" plaque right at the register, it boggles the mind that any salesman would be colossally stupid enough to rub any sort of ointment or cream or spray onto a prospective customer's skin without their consent. :mad: Allergies don't just relate to things people eat, you idiots!

FenigDurak
11-24-2013, 05:17 AM

I get the same thing. They offer me an iron, I say no thanks, and they call after me with promises that their iron is better than what I currently use. Only once did I turn around and asked "Did you just insult my mother? Because she gave me this hair!"

Seshat
11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
where the guy was still insisting to his coworker that it was all natural

So's hemlock.

Jay 2K Winger
11-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Considering how every establishment that sells food these days has a "Please inform server if any member of your party has a food allergy" plaque right at the register, it boggles the mind that any salesman would be colossally stupid enough to rub any sort of ointment or cream or spray onto a prospective customer's skin without their consent. :mad: Allergies don't just relate to things people eat, you idiots!

At the wholesale club, the people who work the demo kiosks refuse to let unaccompanied children take any samples until their parent/guardian gives the okay. They always have the box with nutrition/content information in plain sight as well.

Kogarashi
11-25-2013, 02:03 AM
he still insists it's all natural so totally non-allergenic

So's hemlock.

Exactly. "All natural" does not necessarily mean "good for you," nor does it mean "hypoallergenic." It just means "not artificial." Peanuts are natural. My sister is allergic to them. Mangoes are natural. My other sister is allergic to them. Cats are natural. My mom is allergic to them. Ragweed is natural. I'm allergic to it. Tomatoes are natural. A friend of mine will die if she eats them.

And Seshat, you reminded me about a homeopathic cough syrup we picked up for the kids just a couple weeks ago (which I got because it claimed to use honey). Hubby wanted to know what the active ingredients actually were, since they use long scientific names instead, and found out that one of them is monkshood. Yes, diluted down a whole lot because of the homeopathy thing, but still. We ended up returning it and found one that was actually honey-based (and the ingredients were all things we recognized without an encyclopedia on hand).

Seshat
11-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Hubby wanted to know what the active ingredients actually were, since they use long scientific names instead, and found out that one of them is monkshood.

They put ACONITE in a CHILDREN'S COUGH MEDICINE?

Okay, monkshood/aconite has a long tradition of being used medicinally as well as for poison; but there are many much safer ways of achieving the same medical goals!

Kaylyn
11-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Okay, monkshood/aconite has a long tradition of being used medicinally as well as for poison; but there are many much safer ways of achieving the same medical goals!

Granted, it is diluted via homeopathic methods to the point in which there is not likely to even be a single molecule of it actually remaining in the medicine...that's probably the only way it could even make it on the shelves. But still, eek!

mjr
11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Cats are natural. My mom is allergic to them.

Interesting tidbit about cats...did you know that people who are allergic to cats are not actually allergic to the cat's fur? They're actually allergic to the cat's saliva, or so I understand.

jedimaster91
11-26-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the cat dander I'm allergic to. Just being at someone's house who has a cat makes my eyes itch and my nose get stuck on the on position.

fireheart
11-26-2013, 01:22 AM
I remember my mum once told a story to someone else about a pushy-as-heck door salesman.

This was when I was a toddler and she was pregnant with my sister. Apparently we were all in the backyard having a fun time, when suddenly this random woman appeared.

Turns out that she was a door-to-door lady, who'd knocked on the front door, found it unanswered, then went all the way around to the BACK :eek: and opened up our gate.

Needless to say mum chased her off the property pretty damn quick.

MadMike
11-26-2013, 01:25 AM
It's people like that that keep me out of our local malls.

Same here. I rarely go to the mall anymore, and if I have to go to one, I'll stay away from the kiosks, and try not to make eye contact with anyone.

One time, I guess I got a little too close to one, and I heard a woman call out to me, "Excuse me, sir?"

I turned around and saw her standing by a small kiosk, motioning me to come closer. I told her, "I don't have time for this!" and kept walking. Maybe that was a little rude of me, but the last time I let myself get sucked in, it wasn't so easy to get away.

Kogarashi
11-26-2013, 02:20 AM

Aconitum Napellus (http://www.hylands.com/products/hylands-4-kids-cough-syrup-100-natural-honey), to be specific, and as Kaylyn said, the homeopathic dilution is probably the reason it can actually be sold (plus, as mentioned, unless you recognize the scientific name, you probably wouldn't realize just what it is when reading the label in the store). Frankly, my husband and I don't care how diluted it is. We're not giving our kids monkshood (and odds are it's so diluted it does absolutely nothing anyway, which is our general opinion of homeopathy).

Interesting tidbit about cats...did you know that people who are allergic to cats are not actually allergic to the cat's fur? They're actually allergic to the cat's saliva, or so I understand.

I'm pretty certain my mom's allergy is, like jedimaster said, to the dander. She'd start sneezing just from being in a house that had cats.

Funny story about cat allergies. A family friend who taught an early morning class at her home for teenagers in our church had two cats. Both were the sweetest things ever. They loved everybody, and would often be found cuddling in various teens' laps during the class. The problem was that one of the two caused an allergic reaction in everyone he rubbed up against. It didn't matter whether you were allergic to cats or not. If this cat snuggled too much with you, you'd be guaranteed itchy eyes, a runny nose, and lots of sneezing. The other cat never triggered this reaction. To this day, that one singular cat is the only cat I've ever been allergic to, and I have no idea why. But it's funny to list my allergies for people (ragweed, old dust, dandelions if I get too much of the pollen on me, marigolds if I try pruning them--guess I'm part aphid--and one single cat).

HotelMinion
12-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Strangely, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a bad salesperson. These people turn malls into mauls, like someone else said. No joke. Another time, I had someone else trying to sell my these heat pads, and before I knew it, there was a mob of salespeople trying to sell me them. I guess this crazy salesman/owner thought I was easy pickings when he saw that I bought some lotion from the girl, and figured he'd give it a shot. Cannon sized. :\

emax4
12-02-2013, 11:25 PM
I always told salespeople, "I work in the mall too..." And they don't hound me.

Dentarthurdent
12-14-2013, 08:40 AM
My fiance and I were walking through a mall when we were on vacation and this guy from a cell phone kiosk goes "Hey, you guys wanna replace your phones?"
"Not interested," said my fiance, and we started walking faster.
"We have a great contract and blah blah-"
"I SAID no," my fiance said firmly, and we kept walking.
"You guys don't have phones?" The salesman said disdainfully.

Hell no, I am NOT going to turn around and waste another SECOND of my time to explain to you that
a.) We both have phones we're quite happy with.
b.) We live in the middle of nowhere and there is literally only one cell phone provider offering service to the area, and it's not your company. My fiance has their contract service, and I have a prepaid version that's essentially the same thing, but cheaper and without the bells and whistles.
because frankly, neither of those things are any of your damn business, and you just tried to insult a pair of total strangers because, what, you perceive they don't have a modern amenity? Ridiculous.

I was going :eek: over the stories about salespeople smearing creams or lotions on people without consent. I'm allergic to lavender, too, and I would lose my shit on someone if they tried to pull that with me.