PDA

View Full Version : "That's what employees are for"

winner every time
12-09-2013, 03:39 PM
I sooooo wanted to kick this lady. I was doing a little shopping as a guest at my current place of employment (left midway, switched to register-jockeying). In the middle of a crowded store, I'm trying to browse, when I hear this couple behind me.

Somehow, the lady knocked some shirts to the floor. I'm not sure if she mishung the hanger, if it was an accident, or if she did it on purpose... but I hear this:

Guy: You should pick that up.
Lady: Hell no. That's what the employees are for.

:mad:

EvilEmpryss
12-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I. Hate. That. Attitude.

Every time a worker has to stop and clean up after asshattery like that, they are taken away from providing customer service and other customers have trouble finding the things they want. That's totally ignoring the price repercussions of merchandise being damaged through this idiocy.

One of the few times I don't discipline my kids for being rude to adults is when they see stuff like this. They stop, pick up the fallen item to put it back, and make a comment about how someone's parents didn't teach them very good manners. :devil:

Pixilated
12-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Would love to see an employee start to clean up and then have Mrs Speshul Snowflake ask for some help/service.

Employee: "I'm sorry, madam, I have to get this cleaned up first. That's what employees are for."

And then a niiice loonnnnng time about it.

mjr
12-10-2013, 01:44 PM
I make it a point to emphasize with my son that the employees work very hard to keep the stuff on the shelves neat and tidy.

I'm sure many of you emphasize this to your offspring as well. But then again, we're not SCs.

LillFilly
12-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I saw similar at the mall with parents and their kids. The kids were actually attempting to clean up food or trash they'd spilled and the parents dragged them away spitting "No, that's what THOSE PEOPLE (nodding head at housekeeping) are paid to do!" :(

Lace Neil Singer
12-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I really hate that attitude, cuz you just know that later on when those people are waiting in a queue spitting teeth cuz there isn't another cashier put on, they don't realise that if they'd tidied up their mess, there would be! That other worker is cleaning up the mess they made so therefore can't come and help serve!

Lovecats
12-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Where I work a CW was telling how some lady who had just messed up what she had straightened told her that was job security. I would've wanted to tell the lady that, "No, job security is when you actually go to the registers and buy something.".

EvilEmpryss
12-11-2013, 11:18 PM
I really hate that attitude, cuz you just know that later on when those people are waiting in a queue spitting teeth cuz there isn't another cashier put on, ...
Or pissing about how the store is a pigsty.

Noooo, it couldn't possibly be because they dropped their paper towels on the bathroom floor, knocked clothes off the rack, left a stack of pants in disarray, put the carton of ice cream they decided not to buy on the shelf in the bread aisle, or dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce and walked away from the mess without a backward glance.

siskaren
12-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Would love to see an employee start to clean up and then have Mrs Speshul Snowflake ask for some help/service.

Employee: "I'm sorry, madam, I have to get this cleaned up first. That's what employees are for."

And then a niiice loonnnnng time about it.

Like in this story :devil::

http://notalwaysright.com/giving-customers-the-slip/11973

sms001
12-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I corrected a mother in a parking lot about this. Overheard her stopping her son who was taking a shopping cart to the corral that "It gives employees something to do." Told the kid that Xstore's employees have plenty to do, and putting things away helps everyone. Cue CBF from mom.

Lace Neil Singer
12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I corrected a mother in a parking lot about this. Overheard her stopping her son who was taking a shopping cart to the corral that "It gives employees something to do." Told the kid that Xstore's employees have plenty to do, and putting things away helps everyone. Cue CBF from mom.

^This. At the supermarket, people are always whinging about the lack of trolleys available. Which makes me want to say that if customers weren't so stupid and lazy, and put their trolleys back, there would be more. It takes the trolley boys far longer to walk all round the car park collecting stray trolleys than to simply collect them from the trolley park.

XCashier
12-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Where I work a CW was telling how some lady who had just messed up what she had straightened told her that was job security. I would've wanted to tell the lady that, "No, job security is when you actually go to the registers and buy something.".
:mad: Oh, I hear that damned "job security" arguement and it ticks me off every time!
"Yeah, I'm making a mess, but it's your job security!" cry the SCs. No, no it's not, and I'll tell you why. We only have so many payroll hours a week. The vast majority of which have to be spent serving customers, with only a few allotted for cleaning. The horrid mess the store is in is well beyond the cleaning hours we have. If we spend more time cleaning, there's less time to serve customers. If customers don't get speedy service, they walk out without buying anything. If too many customers walk out, we don't make enough money and our hours get cut. So no, you trashing the store =/= job security.
The SCs just do not think about the repercussions of their actions. They don't think about the time and money spent cleaning up after their slobbish selves, they don't give a shit that the employees are being run ragged trying to make the store presentable and serve the customers at the same time. They don't even consider that if someone went to their place of work and trashed it like they're trashing ours, they'd be royally pissed, but we're expected to just roll over and take it with a smile. Because they're the Almighty Customer, and The Customer Is Always Right. :punch:

sms001
12-13-2013, 10:14 AM
:
The SCs just do not think about the repercussions of their actions.

(Or do and don't care.) I also think they don't really understand just how deeply payrolls have been cut in the last decade or two. To them, since there are employees visible, and since they get waited on, they think everything is the same. They have no idea that those FOH people are doing double/triple duty these days. The cashier may be a cart wrangler "when there's time" or the stock room now does the parking lot, etc. It ain't Mr. Sandman in Back to the Future time any more.

winner every time
12-13-2013, 05:01 PM
The cart thing drives me nuts... especially when they dump their carts in the middle of a spot (usually the one I want to park in ;))... no more than two spaces away from the dang cart corral. The world is full of so much lazy...

Back on the midway, I didn't have to deal with such attitude first hand very often. I think the cake from the midway, though, was the morons who would look at my prize bins, and sneak their trash into them when (they thought) I wasn't looking... kicker was that there was a trash can in plain sight two steps to the right...

Lace Neil Singer
12-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Once some moron stuffed a pound of deli ham in amongst the magazines... literally two steps away from Customer Services where someone could have taken the ham and returned it to the deli! So one pound of ham and countless magazines had to be trashed cuz someone was too lazy and stupid to do the decent thing. :rolleyes:

Racket_Man
12-14-2013, 05:42 AM
(Or do and don't care.) . It ain't Mr. Sandman in Back to the Future time any more.

The funny thing is is that "scene" really has not been true for at least 35 years. around that time gas stations mostly went self-serve (gas crisis of the 1970's), retail stores cut back on employees (especially Sears with their 'centralized' 3 or 4 registers placed in the store and NO one really manning a specific dept.), and the rise of big box discount retailers like K-Mart and Wal-Mart and Target.

It has only gotten worse payroll wise.

sms001
12-14-2013, 09:42 AM
has not been true for at least 35 years.

Yes, but that conflicts with my carefully constructed self-denial of aging, so I will ignore it. :lol:

peoplesuck
12-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I tend to agree that if you make a mess, you clean that mess. Unless its intrinsic to the business your patroning.

However, I'm a willful sucky customer in one instance: There is a Family Mart near my house, I go there to buy various things like Coke or Mtn. Dew. They have installed in their drinks refrigator a inclined plane so the drinks move forward when you take one out. However, they did not install properly sized stops, so if you take a drink out two or three drinks behind it ram forward and fly off the shelf onto the floor. The shelf is at such a awkward angle that its hard to grab the second or third bottle before removing the first.

This is clearly a poorly implemented business process. If all the customers pick up the spilt drinks and force them back into the inclined plane then the business has no incentive to put proper stops at the bottom of the slope....

The first time I was embarassed and picked up the split drinks, the second time I thought it was silly, after that I stopped and just tell the cashier the drinks fell out of the fridge again. She smiles and says "no problem" every time......

siskaren
12-14-2013, 02:14 PM
The funny thing is is that "scene" really has not been true for at least 35 years. around that time gas stations mostly went self-serve (gas crisis of the 1970's)

But that scene takes place in 1955.

sms001
12-15-2013, 11:19 AM
...at least 35 years. [emp. added]

But that scene takes place in 1955.

Yeah, I think what he's saying is that the Oil Crisis was the real death blow to truly "Full Service" gas stations which happened longer ago than I said in my post (which can't be true, as that would make me 50+ years old! :rolleyes:)
None-the-less, the thrust of the statement remains true - businesses still push, and custys often expect, employees to clean windows, check oil, fill tanks, and air tires... 'cept there's only one person doing it now instead of four. :(

vikingchyk
12-15-2013, 02:49 PM
The cart thing drives me nuts... especially when they dump their carts in the middle of a spot (usually the one I want to park in ;))... no more than two spaces away from the dang cart corral. The world is full of so much lazy...

Ugh, had this happen this week at "Dealer Joseph's" - the cart corral was directly behind the spot where they dumped the cart. I didn't see the cart until I was pulling into the space (tall SUV in the space to the right) and there was someone on my tail, so I just pulled in as far as I could, then pushed it up against the curb. It was only 4" from the curb, anyway. The benefits of a 12 year old car: I don't mind ramming carts in my way ;) Thankfully the person behind me didn't take the empty space next to me, so I was able to wrestle it out from between my bumper and the curb. Really? You couldn't push it 10 feet to the corral? Ugh.

Especially irritating when people abandon carts there, since that part of the lot is on an incline, and I've seen carts taken by the wind and get up a pretty good head of steam - I once chased & grabbed one that escaped the corral (barely in, another lazy person only put the front wheels over the threshold that is supposed to keep them from escaping : gravity + wind = runaway buggy) and was heading for some lady as she was struggling to unload her bags into her car. That would have left a mark, either in her or her car, or both :p

Racket_Man
12-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I think what he's saying is that the Oil Crisis was the real death blow to truly "Full Service" gas stations which happened longer ago than I said in my post (which can't be true, as that would make me 50+ years old! :rolleyes:)
None-the-less, the thrust of the statement remains true - businesses still push, and custys often expect, employees to clean windows, check oil, fill tanks, and air tires... 'cept there's only one person doing it now instead of four. :(

EXACTLY

and for the record I am over 50 so I do remember the FULL service type gas stations where 2 or more employees did the tire/oil/whatever check EVERY single time you pulled in and retail stores full of helpful employees. Heck at the local Sears store the SHOE salesman knew my parents by sight and name (and I still remember his name Mr. Slokum for some reason).

Try getting that level of service today (as in you will not) unless you are at some high level pricey establishment.

HawaiianShirts
12-16-2013, 12:38 PM
A few grocery trips ago, I watched some guy just shove a cart in the general direction of a cart corral. It cruised across at least ten empty parking spaces before crashing into the side of the corral frame, and the guy just left. I wanted to say something, but all that managed to come out was an angry-sounding "Lazy!" which he didn't acknowledge.

I'm sure many of you emphasize this to your offspring as well.

Indeed. In fact, we stopped at a diner for dinner a few nights ago, and when we were done, I had to explain to Little Shirts the difference between the dine-in kind of restaurant and the fast food kind of restaurant. He was all ready to gather up his dishes and take his tray to the nonexistent tray return in a restaurant where the server or a busser would soon come by to clean up for us. "It's part of their job here," I said.

Of course, with that came an explanation that it was considerate and helpful to wipe up spills and stack dirty dishes and thank the employees for the work they do, so he got bonus points for that.

The benefits of a 12 year old car: I don't mind ramming carts in my way.

I've done that, too--very slowly roll up to the cart and let the car nudge it forward a bit. My wife thought it was scandalous dangerous. My son couldn't stop laughing.

Brojekk
12-16-2013, 03:19 PM
One thing that always irritated me big time...
Our store has a cart area just inside the front doors of main entrance. SCs leaving the store no longer need their carriage..they push it in the general direction of those carriages and they end up facing the side,or diagnally as they leave.
When I was a carriage jockey I had to stop my train of carriages just inside the door and tuck those wayward carriages in with the others in order to get my train in as well. Would happen at least 20 times a day.

pinky
12-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Customers with that attitude wouldn't want to come to our convenience store then. Some of our customers like to make the slurpy station a mess, and sometimes I think they do it on purpose. Whenever my boss catches them, he makes the customer clean it up! Score for boss! :devil:

vstorevigilante
12-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Where I work a CW was telling how some lady who had just messed up what she had straightened told her that was job security.

My first job was at a movie theatre. I started out as an usher before getting bumped up to box office (more stressful but kind of the 'coveted' position, so that was cool). Anyway, no need to detail the cleaning nightmares of usherdom.

I work at a video store now, and one time I was talking to some regulars and saying how I never get to the movies because I can't afford it. They said they never went anymore because they hated that there were ads asking them to stash their trash.

They used the 'job security' argument about that. About leaving their garbage on the floor. Never mind ushers are responsible for theatre checks, general patron concerns, cleaning up all the spilled popcorn that gets everywhere (which can truly be unavoidable so it isn't like we ever complained), and had to deal with incredibly short turnover times between the end of one showing and the start of another, with managers constantly barking at us to hurry up the cleaning - which, even if everyone threw out their garbage, still took a long time after sold-out shows. Not to mention we had to sort the garbage (organics, waste, recyclables, etc.).

If every patron took the "leaving my garbage keeps you employed" attitude... Oh my gosh. I saw red. I won't wait on those customers anymore. It was three years ago the conversation took place but it still really chaps my ass.

vikingchyk
12-20-2013, 06:00 PM
One thing that always irritated me big time...
Our store has a cart area just inside the front doors of main entrance. SCs leaving the store no longer need their carriage..they push it in the general direction of those carriages and they end up facing the side,or diagnally as they leave.
When I was a carriage jockey I had to stop my train of carriages just inside the door and tuck those wayward carriages in with the others in order to get my train in as well. Would happen at least 20 times a day.

I think sometimes they think another shopper will be along soon, who would rather take a free standing cart, than try to pull one jammed onto the end of the long train (I know I would - bad shoulders, so I often cannot get them off if they are jammed even a little)

What I don't get are the people who don't even try to get them near the rest of the cart collection : they stop right in front of the door, take their bags out, and desert the cart right in the middle of everything!

Monterey Jack
12-21-2013, 03:13 AM
What I don't get are the people who don't even try to get them near the rest of the cart collection : they stop right in front of the door, take their bags out, and desert the cart right in the middle of everything!

Hell, in my store, they don't even bring the carts to the door...they'll just take their groceries out and leave the cart right there at the register! :hairpull: Which makes me wonder why they got a cart in the first place if they bought so few groceries that they could take them away by hand...just get a frigging basket!

Argus
12-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Which makes me wonder why they got a cart in the first place if they bought so few groceries that they could take them away by hand...just get a frigging basket!

Because the walk from the register to their car is shorter than their walk around the store gathering the groceries, and has less need for free hands.

sms001
12-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Which makes me wonder why they got a cart in the first place

Argus' answer, plus; it is really hard to block a whole aisle while you spend fifteen minutes choosing between the 10 or 10 1/2 oz box of Super Chocolate Bombs with a puny basket. And you can't lean on them like a walker, or smash 'em into someone's ankles, or have your kids race them up and down the store, or do head dives out of them or...

Baskets are just not SC-friendly.

:lol:

XCashier
12-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Hell, in my store, they don't even bring the carts to the door...they'll just take their groceries out and leave the cart right there at the register! :hairpull:
They do the same at my store! And when it's busy, and I don't have a break between customers to run those baskets back to where they go, they can really pile up.

I mean, seriously? You walk by the shopping cart bay as you enter and exit the store. You can't take the cart back to where you got it, seeing as you're passing there anyway?! How pathetically lazy can a person get?! :rolleyes:

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Argus' answer, plus; it is really hard to block a whole aisle while you spend fifteen minutes choosing between the 10 or 10 1/2 oz box of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs with a puny basket.

Corrected because Calvin & Hobbes reference.

sms001
12-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Corrected because

Hope you did that from memory, 'cause I'd feel really bad if the guy workin' about fifty hours a week more than me took time to go look that up when I was too lazy to. :lol:

(Goes to dig out the C & H collections for Christmas-y Fun. And maybe some snowman inspiration.)

Aethian
12-22-2013, 08:14 PM
(And maybe some snowman inspiration.)

Note I did not make this.

vikingchyk
12-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Hell, in my store, they don't even bring the carts to the door...they'll just take their groceries out and leave the cart right there at the register! :hairpull: Which makes me wonder why they got a cart in the first place if they bought so few groceries that they could take them away by hand...just get a frigging basket!

My local grocery compounded the deserted cart/basket problem early last year, when they added multiple options for your grocery toting needs. There were :

the regular carts,
the half size carts (my fave :) )
the hand baskets (where are we going, and how did I get in this hand basket?)
the wheeled hand baskets (so people could pull these on a long handle, so it was like dodging carry-on luggage at the airport - they were great for parking behind/next to people, so they could fall over them </s>)
the car carts (two-seater, so the kiddos could get rammed in the face instead of falling out of the seat in the regular cart; PITA to get around corners - they really need a horn for the blind corners.)
the mini carts (so kiddo could have a cart just like Mommy! Ugh. I hated those at another store, but at least there, they had a tall pole with a flag attached, so adults could be more aware of them. Not so here, because that would make sense. It would also make sense to teach children that stores are not playgrounds, but I digress...)

You can imagine what kind of pile up this would cause at the checkouts - two types of handbaskets, with no real space to put them, and four kinds of carts, usually abandoned in random places. #sigh# Oh, plus the motorized scooters, which always seem to run out of juice in the worst possible place. Getting through the airlock to get in or out of the store was nearly impossible, because they would purposely put a scooter, car cart, mini carts, and both type of handbaskets in a 15 foot square entryway, which was also lined with seasonal items!

Oddly, the wheeled baskets and the mini carts are no longer there. A few "incidents" must have made them rethink those. I hope.

sms001
12-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Aethian:
Is that a thing now, the coloring? That one almost has to be to be recognizable, but I've seen it more and more often over the past few years. Last year a buddy of mine did a beautiful green dragon. I assume it's sprayed on food coloring?

Aethian
12-23-2013, 09:16 PM
sms001...

I think so. Around the neighborhood I'm slowly getting through I've seen a few brown WMU's. Personally I think it's a nice touch if you can get it right. But that's got to be a pain the neck to not melt the snow.

Lace Neil Singer
12-31-2013, 01:42 PM
The supermarket got flooded on Christmas Eve; the actual building was safe but the car parks became two giant lakes, with all the trolleys inside. Apparently, SCs were bitching about the lack of trolleys and one even ordered a trolley boy to go into the lake and retrieve one for her. :rolleyes:

Brojekk
12-31-2013, 09:19 PM
I think sometimes they think another shopper will be along soon, who would rather take a free standing cart, than try to pull one jammed onto the end of the long train (I know I would - bad shoulders, so I often cannot get them off if they are jammed even a little)

That would mean they're thinking about someone other than themselves. No, it's just laziness on their part. "No longer need carriage,just leave it there." is more like their thinking.

Sapphire Silk
12-31-2013, 09:38 PM

Sometimes I get a basket if I'm not sure how much I plan to buy. I don't always bring a list when I go grocery shopping and sometimes I end up buying far less than I originally thought for a variety of reasons.

However, the cart always goes back to the front of the store; I'll hand carry from there.

Lace Neil Singer
01-01-2014, 12:42 PM
I always get a small trolley, cuz I have a bad back. However, I always put it back once I'm done shopping. Sometimes, I'll give it to a shopper coming in thru the door; small trolleys seem to always be the ones abandoned in the car park, so often there aren't any available. The people are always grateful to get one from me, rather than having to go hunt thru the car park for a small trolley.

Silent-Hunter
01-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Funny, it's like that here too, and I'm in the USA. I guess SCs are the same everywhere.

Aethian
01-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Um..... Yes. Yes they are.

cindybubbles
01-01-2014, 10:56 PM
At work, I made a little mess in the washroom, and did you know what my co-worker said to me?

"That's what the cleaning crew is for!"

I was shocked. I was, of course, taught to clean up my messes. Recently, I bought an egg sandwich from Michel's Baguette and ate there. Once finished, I scraped the scraps from the plate into the garbage can and brought everything to the counter, rather than just leave them there for the employees.

Monterey Jack
01-02-2014, 03:12 AM
I was shocked. I was, of course, taught to clean up my messes. Recently, I bought an egg sandwich from Michel's Baguette and ate there. Once finished, I scraped the scraps from the plate into the garbage can and brought everything to the counter, rather than just leave them there for the employees.

I always do this when eating out...I take my tray to the nearest trash receptacle, place the remnants of my meal and all assorted wrappers and drink containers inside, and leave the tray on the pile of other trays wherever they may be located (usually on top of the trash bins, convenient). And if I get a bit of ketchup or soda on the tabletop, I always wipe it up with a napkin. Probably has more to do with my OCD than actual manners, but still, basic manners are there as well. No employee wants to see extra work being made for them by thoughtless customers.

Lace Neil Singer
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
I always do that, as well. Also, whenever I visit a pub, I put my empty glass/bottle on the bar.

mjr
01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I always do that, as well. Also, whenever I visit a pub, I put my empty glass/bottle on the bar.

Speaking of SCs not cleaning up their messes...

When I worked at King of Burgers, I was a manager on shift one night, and saw that someone had actually broken those pre-sealed salt shakers, dumped the entire contents onto the table, and written an obscenity in it that starts with F, and ended with the word "you".

I was so mad! I don't even think the SCs that sat at that table really got anything beyond a drink. I couldn't keep my eye on them the whole time.

Zellie Crescent
01-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Speaking of SCs not cleaning up their messes...

When I worked at King of Burgers, I was a manager on shift one night, and saw that someone had actually broken those pre-sealed salt shakers, dumped the entire contents onto the table, and written an obscenity in it that starts with F, and ended with the word "you".

I was so mad! I don't even think the SCs that sat at that table really got anything beyond a drink. I couldn't keep my eye on them the whole time.

I would've been beyond pissed. I only hope the blew out all 4 tires on their way home and their engine completely died, it would serve them right for being such assholes.

mjr
01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
I would've been beyond pissed. I only hope the blew out all 4 tires on their way home and their engine completely died, it would serve them right for being such assholes.

I kicked a guy out once for trying to pull a fast one on me.

People would occasionally come in and ask for "a cup for water". At the time it was our policy to give a small, clear cup to them, or get the water for them in the drive thru if it wasn't busy.

Well Mr. Thinks-Hes-Smart comes in, asks for a cup for water. We don't have the clear ones, so I get him one of the small (16oz) paper ones we usually used for our small drinks. What does Genius do? He goes over to the soda machine and puts pink lemonade in it. He thought he was so clever! His other Genius move was not leaving immediately or at least waiting until he got outside to take a drink from it (I think he was waiting on someone or something, don't know). Problem was, I was standing at the front counter, and saw him take a drink. When pink liquid rose up through the straw, I calmly walked out to him, and said something like, "That's some interesting-looking water you've got there. Pour it out and get out of my store."

In retrospect, I probably should have at least attempted to get him to pay for it. I was just glad at the time that he complied, since he looked like a thug/punk teenager.

retro
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I don't know if you guys over the pond have a similar thing, but in some superstores in the UK, we have a 1 slot for our trolleys. In other words, if you want a trolley, you pop 1 into a slot and it unlocks the trolley. Once you return the trolley to the corral, you slide the trolley inside the next one, fasten the lock and you get your 1 back.

As a result you can even now buy 'trolley tokens' which are the shape/size of a 1 coin just so you will always have it with you.

This is good to a certain extent. People will always return the trolleys to the corral because they want their pound back.

Unfortunately I've come across several instances where I've returned a trolley to find trolleys scattered around inside the corral locked together so the SC gets their pound back but not slid inside each other so they're at right angles to each other. This then means that you can't get your pound back out and lock any more in place until you've unlocked and moved the next one in. Grrrrrrr...

wolfie
01-02-2014, 09:11 PM
What does Genius do? He goes over to the soda machine and puts pink lemonade in it. He thought he was so clever!

Why didn't he realize that Sprite/7-UP (depending on whether you have Coke or Pepsi products) is clear, and therefore would be hard for you to identify as NOT being water?

KellyHabersham
01-03-2014, 04:50 PM
That sort of attitude is especially sucky for those of us whom cleaning up after customers IS, unfortunately, part of our job duties. (especially the parents who let their kids tear up the shelves, leave stacks of books around, scatter toys,.....etc.)

April
01-03-2014, 08:55 PM
whenever I am behind someone who leaves thier cart in the cashier aisle, or leaves them in random places in the parking lot, I like to yell after them "Excuse me? You forgot this" as I push the cart towards them. They usually will take them and put them away after that. Most people will only leave messes if they think no one will say anything to them

Lace Neil Singer
01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Lol, I used to do a similar thing as a teen when walking the family dog and encountering crappy dog owners who wouldn't pick up after their dogs.

"Excuse me. You forgot to pick up after your dog," while holding out a plastic bag. Always worked. XD

MadMike
01-04-2014, 02:30 AM
I'll admit, I used that phrase at least once in my life. But in my defense, I was about 10 or 12 at the time. My mom was always good about not being a sucky customer, and she tried to make us understand that. I remember when we went grocery shopping, after we loaded the groceries into the car, she'd have me or my brother bring the cart back into the store (no outside cart returns back then.) And of course, I'd complain about having to do that, and point out that "they have people they pay to do this!"

Years later, when I worked at a supermarket myself, I understood what she was trying to teach me. It only took me a time or two of having to go out into the parking lot and round up all the carts that got left out there.

TheCheerfulTreeRat
01-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Excuse me. You forgot to pick up after your dog," while holding out a plastic bag. Always worked. XD
MANY moons ago a dog walker used to regularly get to the end of my parents drive at the same time as peristalsis occurred, leaving a yummy little brown and steamy present.
After getting somewhat annoyed at this, my Dad grabbed the coal shovel, rushed out to scoop up the poo and followed the two until they got home.

"You forgot this" as he flipped it onto their driveway...