PDA

View Full Version : Let's celebrate Christmas with theft!

Antisocial_Worker
12-19-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm typing this over the remains of a sumptuous lunch at the biggest, and best, Mexican restaurant in town. It's located on a very busy road, in between a supermarket and a motel. There's a patch of woods behind the motel, and as I was pulling into the restaurant parking lot I saw a woman come out of the woods behind the motel. She'd obviously been crying.

I parked as she wandered into the restaurant parking lot, and I got out, went up to her, and asked if she needed help. She didn't look as though she'd been hurt or anything, but someone crying is someone crying.

She told me a sordid story... she and her husband had just bought a puppy for their kids, to replace a dog that died in September. It was to be a Christmas surprise. They'd come to have lunch, and because it's fairly warm today, they'd left the puppy in the back of their truck, leashed and tied in, safe as houses.

So of course some passing asshole stole it. She'd sort of held out hope that maybe someone had just let it loose, but that seemed unlikely by this point. She'd been looking in the woods and at the motel. Her husband was searching the supermarket parking lot.

To no avail, probably. Someone stole their Christmas puppy.

Moirae
12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
What the hell is wrong with people?

Pixilated
12-19-2013, 07:01 PM
My FB page seems awash these days with notices of stolen dogs. No idea WTH is going on. Some have been stolen from inside the owner's apartment. It's more than a little creepy.

I'm so sorry for her and her hubby, because who knows whether they can afford yet another puppy. And I'm also sorry for the pup, because ... who knows what's happened to it. :(

Wonder if they tried checking the local shelters/pounds; it's possible that somebody thought the dog was being abused, left in the truck like that, and turned it over to a local authority.

AnaKhouri
12-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Hopefully for the pup it was someone who just wanted that type of dog, or maybe someone who thought it was mean to leave it in the car (despite the temperature). Many stolen dogs are sent to a much worse fate.

Mystic
12-19-2013, 10:16 PM
People like this piss me off so badly. :(

Estil
12-20-2013, 01:21 AM
That was terrible...I hope the puppynapper gets put on the naughtly list for life...both Santa's and the Humane Society's!!

Jay 2K Winger
12-20-2013, 01:36 AM
The person who would do this kind of thing is going to the special hell.

EvilEmpryss
12-20-2013, 02:48 AM
Someone in my area stole a puppy in a backpack just last week. The owner had stepped into a convenience store to make a purchase and came out to find backpack and puppy gone.

This is terrible, but what freaked me out was finding out that stealing a dog is a FELONY in my state! They equate stealing a dog with murder and rape! It's heartbreaking to lose an animal, but I can't believe it's treated as the same level of heinous act.

Ironically, the puppy's name is reported to be "Lucky".

Tama
12-20-2013, 04:08 AM
I think it's because it's been repeatedly shown that if you hurt animals a lot you are REALLY likely to turn out to be a murderer or other violent criminal too.

EvilEmpryss
12-20-2013, 04:13 AM
No, it's not hurting an animal that's a felony, it's just the theft of a dog. Specifically a dog. If you pick up a stray and don't try to find the owner, you can be charged with it.

HiddenMica
12-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Do you know how much a pure bred dog from a breeder COSTS? No kidding it's a felony it's theft of property over 800 in value most usually, that's the cheapest purebred I've found and those are pet store dogs! The breeder dogs will start at usually a thousand or more! They just applied it to all dogs instead of just purebreds!

Seshat
12-20-2013, 07:12 AM
I hope the family does check the shelters - and that wherever they bought the puppy from had him microchipped.

Sadly, if he was deliberately stolen, that's not likely to be much help in finding him. But if it was a 'he looks neglected, I'm taking him to a shelter' situation, the 'chip will help.

Estil
12-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Someone in my area stole a puppy in a backpack just last week. The owner had stepped into a convenience store to make a purchase and came out to find backpack and puppy gone.

This is terrible, but what freaked me out was finding out that stealing a dog is a FELONY in my state! They equate stealing a dog with murder and rape! It's heartbreaking to lose an animal, but I can't believe it's treated as the same level of heinous act.

Ironically, the puppy's name is reported to be "Lucky".

In the Old West days stealing a horse (I guess the then-grand theft auto?) got you hanged.

Sapphire Silk
12-20-2013, 10:52 PM
No, it's not hurting an animal that's a felony, it's just the theft of a dog. Specifically a dog. If you pick up a stray and don't try to find the owner, you can be charged with it.

On top of that, the asshole a few years ago who nearly burned a puppy to death got a few days in jail as his punishment.

In the Old West days stealing a horse (I guess the then-grand theft auto?) got you hanged.

Because horse theft could be life threatening . . . without transportation or an animal to work the farm, you could quite literally die because of it.

wolfie
12-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Because horse theft could be life threatening . . . without transportation or an animal to work the farm, you could quite literally die because of it.

Just like in the Northern (Klondike and Alaska) gold rushes, the penalty for stealing a bag of flour out of a cache was higher than that for stealing a pound of nuggets. Same reasoning.

ComputerNecromancer
12-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Stealing more than some amount of money is a felony too. Rape & murder are among the worst felonies, but that doesn't mean that all felonies are that extreme.

*Threatening* to hit someone is often a felony (assault, actually hitting them is either "aggravated assault" or "assault and battery" depending on your state)

greensinestro
12-27-2013, 03:04 PM
I hate it that we have people in this world like that. Not to mention people do things like this in broad daylight.

Kittykat
12-30-2013, 09:05 PM
the local SPCA may have been called and took the puppy, here it's illegal to leave an animal in a vehicle, even a truck bed.

ralerin
01-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Years ago, my mother had 2 beagles, purebred ones, worth quite a bit of money even for the time (late 70's/early 80's). They were both her babies but the male was her especial baby. One day, my parents were at work (self employed) and had left the 2 dogs tied up outside for a few minutes so they could pee. Suddenly, the female starts barking loudly and would not stop. Mom heads outside to find that a gang of boys (late teens and early 20's) were about to shove the male dog into their car.

"What are you doing?!?" My mother screams.

"Sorry! Sorry! We didn't know he was your dog!" the boys howl, they release the dog, then hop into their car and burn rubber.

The dog was unfazed, but my mother often wondered what they would have done to the dog if they had actually stolen him :(

Lace Neil Singer
01-05-2014, 03:10 PM
There's a lot of dog stealing going on cuz of supply and demand. You see, a lot of people want pet dogs and they have to have pedigrees, not nasty mongrels, so there's a lot of theft as a result. Also dogs bred in puppy farms abroad and smuggled into the country to be sold on the internet. There's been several cases where a family has innocently bought a puppy, only for that poor little dog to die a few days later cuz it's terminally ill due to being bred in a puppy farm. Many of these dogs are inbred over and over, and taken away from their mothers too early, so they succumb quickly to disease.

Personally, if I was to get a dog right now, I'd far rather head out to the local dogs home and adopt one from there. Nothing wrong with mongrels to my mind. It's just that a lot of people nowadays are fixated on certain breeds of dog, which provokes crime and cruelty as a result. :(

wolfie
01-06-2014, 04:15 AM
There's a lot of dog stealing going on cuz of supply and demand. You see, a lot of people want pet dogs and they have to have pedigrees, not nasty mongrels, so there's a lot of theft as a result.

But if someone steals a dog, they don't get the "papers", so it's effectively a mongrel that looks like breed X.

NecessaryCatharsis
01-06-2014, 04:20 AM
But if someone steals a dog, they don't get the "papers", so it's effectively a mongrel that looks like breed X.

Don't know if it works on dogs, but you can get papers for some breeds of horses based on passing bloodwork and conformation tests alone. It's a lot easier for geldings, because they can't pass on the bloodlines, but it can be done for stallions and mares that display enough talent as well.

greek_jester
01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Don't know if it works on dogs, but you can get papers for some breeds of horses based on passing bloodwork and conformation tests alone. It's a lot easier for geldings, because they can't pass on the bloodlines, but it can be done for stallions and mares that display enough talent as well.

I'm betting that would cost, though, so it'd cut into the profit margin for the thieves.

I'm guessing they sell them to people who want a "purebred" dog but don't want to pay the price they'd have to with all the paperwork.

Lace Neil Singer
01-06-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm betting that would cost, though, so it'd cut into the profit margin for the thieves.

I'm guessing they sell them to people who want a "purebred" dog but don't want to pay the price they'd have to with all the paperwork.

Or they fake the paperwork and people are too stupid or too naive to check that it's real.

mhkohne
01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Or they fake the paperwork and people are too stupid or too naive to check that it's real.

That was my first thought, then I thought - why not just sell the dogs to a breeder with no morals? They could fake the paperwork much better, and there's no trying to find buyers.

Deevil
01-09-2014, 01:58 AM

There are several registries out there that as long as the check clears, you can register anything (including cats, hamsters, goldfish, etc) as a purebred dog...and since the one I am thinking of off the top of my head is often what people see dogs in pet stores registered under, they don't know it's a sham.

wolfie
01-09-2014, 03:53 AM
I wonder how that registry would go in areas that have breed-specific legislation. Person has a dog of prohibited breed X. They pay for "papers" through that registry, so they have "proof" that their dog is actually of permitted breed Y that looks similar to breed X.

fireheart
01-09-2014, 11:08 AM

There was an episode of Bondi Vet that addressed this with dogs. A woman was wanting to make sure that her dog didn't have some fatal gene that particular breeds were known for having and her dog was a crossbreed. So they did the testing and Dr. Chris rocked up later in the show holding two dogs...the "parents" of the dog that was being tested!

I wonder how that registry would go in areas that have breed-specific legislation. Person has a dog of prohibited breed X. They pay for "papers" through that registry, so they have "proof" that their dog is actually of permitted breed Y that looks similar to breed X.

Or that the dog is a cross-breed. (I really do not know how breed-specific legislation works with cross-bred dogs)

SongsOfDragons
01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
There was an episode of Bondi Vet that addressed this with dogs. A woman was wanting to make sure that her dog didn't have some fatal gene that particular breeds were known for having and her dog was a crossbreed. So they did the testing and Dr. Chris rocked up later in the show holding two dogs...the "parents" of the dog that was being tested!

I remember that, two completely random little-n-large dogs ^^

I miss that show, I don't get to see it much any more. He is hooooot...it doesn't help that the opening credits are basically him topless and surfing. My favourite episode is the one with Kettle the baby cockatoo: guess why they called him that XD

fireheart
01-10-2014, 09:12 AM
I remember that, two completely random little-n-large dogs ^^

I miss that show, I don't get to see it much any more. He is hooooot...it doesn't help that the opening credits are basically him topless and surfing. My favourite episode is the one with Kettle the baby cockatoo: guess why they called him that XD

I love Bondi Vet too. And yes, he is hot :eyewaggle:

sms001
01-10-2014, 10:44 AM
And of course, having legit papers is moot for many of these yahoos anyway; they aren't breeding, they're showing off, for which they only need "the look" of a purebred. Who's gonna call them out?

Difdi
01-17-2014, 03:36 PM

It's probably related to an interfering with livestock statute. Places with lots of ranches or animal-related industry tend to have some very interesting laws for people who interfere with that.