PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Neighborly Relations

bhskittykatt
12-22-2013, 08:15 PM
So we recently had new neighbors move in. And....loud bass vibrating my walls. Oh joy.

Hubs asked him to turn it down once without incident. But yesterday, after four hours, I decided I'd had enough. I mean it's not late at night or nothing, but still. Come on.

So I went over and knocked on the door. I'd never even seen them before. A little girl about four or five answered the door, with her father coming up close behind her.

Me: "Hi, yeah, listen, I was wondering if you could please turn it down? It's vibrating my walls, and I'm trying to study and my husband is trying to sleep."
SN (sucky neighbor): "You listen! I live here and I can do whatever the fuck I want! I just started playing this music a minute ago!"
Me: "Yeah, I'm sure you did." *starts to walk away since I can tell I'm going to make no progress*
SN: "You come here again and I'll kick your fucking ass!"
Me: *record screech* "Are you threatening me?"
SN: "Yeah, you heard me! I'll kick your fucking ass you fucking bitch!" *starts to charge at me a little bit* "Go get your husband. I want to talk to him."
Me: "So, for the record, you are threatening me."
SN: "Fuck yeah I am! Go get your fucking husband. I want to fucking talk to him! I'll kick his ass, too!"
Me: "Riiiight."

I went back inside. Hubs had overheard the whole thing and was now fully awake. We called the police and informed them what was up.

The neighbor did come by about half an hour later to apologize. I let him talk to Hubs. He said he didn't want to get off on a bad foot with us and that he had anger issues. No shit, Sherlock. He cussed me out and threatened me like that in front of his young daughter. I'd be damn embarrassed if I were him.

Hubs let him know that he'd really upset me and that we'd already called the police and that they would be stopping by. They did come by, talked to me, talked to him, and then left. So now, at the very least, there's a paper trail started regarding his "anger issues".

Today the music was back, though only for about an hour this time it seems.

I'm going to talk to the landlord next and let him know what's up.

MoonCat
12-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Why, why, why are there so many assholes in the world!!! Why do people have to be so inconsiderate? I can listen to my music and disturb no one. Guess why? HEADPHONES.

I HATE people like that.

dalesys
12-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I can listen to my music and disturb no one. Guess why? HEADPHONES.
But ya gotta have the subwoofers cranked way up to shake your goolies enough to get off...

Pixilated
12-24-2013, 07:51 AM
I have so much sympathy for you ... the last apartment I lived in was paradise for a year. Then the neighbour moved out and Prime Asshole moved in. Now, part of the problem, I'm convinced, was the structure: I heard zip from the neighbours on one side, but I could hear damn near everything from Prime Asshole's apartment, and it's my belief that the wall separating my apartment and his was, shall we say, not as well-constructed as the other wall. And I'm being polite about that ...

But whatever the cause, he evidently felt he couldn't enjoy himself without the bass cranked to the max, regardless of the hour. And while it's not illegal during daylight hours, it does get to be pretty wearing, particularly when it goes on hour after hour after hour ... and particularly when it started at 7 a.m.

Superintendent would do nothing. Landlord didn't seem to give a rat's ass either. I am SO glad to be out of there.

Good for your for starting the paper trail with the police. He needs to understand that trying to fob you off with stories about his "anger issues" isn't going to be nearly enough if he's not going to actually DO something about those "issues." And I hope your landlord takes it a lot more seriously than mine did.

Captain Trips
12-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11. One time she turned it up full and left for the fucking day. 7 hours, no one home to listen to it, but at full volume.

I once (ONCE) asked her, very politely, to turn it down a little. Man, you should have heard her go. She tore me a new asshole, her basic argument was "I'm black, your white, so I have every right to listen to my music and you have NO FUCKIN' RIGHT to tell me to turn it down, your ancestors enslaved mine so I have every fucking right to listen to my music however fucking loud I want..."blahblahblah. (Man, this woman was doing everything she could to fit the worst possible definition of "the 'N' word.")

I got even.

One morning, listening to the classical music station, the 1812 Overture came on. A version with live cannon. I couldn't resist, I cranked the volume. (When it ended, I turned it back down.) Well, about 20 minutes later the police were knocking on my door. (Note: this was around 11 in the morning.) They had a noise complaint against me. I explained my love of classical music, and that I couldn't resist, but as they could see I turned it down after it was over.

I then told them I knew who called it in, they didn't have to confirm or deny who, and that she had no right to complain. I explained the shit she pulled. They told me, "Well, next time don't take the law into your own hands. Call us, that's what we're here for." I said, "Thank you, officer, that's exactly what I'll do."

I can only guess the bitch was listening through her door - she never turned it up again, because she knew I would - and as she never turned it down, she would have been caught red-handed.

So, my suggestion? Don't wait until "quiet hours" - next time he cranks it up enough to annoy you in your own home, call the police. Again. And again, if needed. After a few visits, he may wake up.

Monterey Jack
12-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11. One time she turned it up full and left for the fucking day. 7 hours, no one home to listen to it, but at full volume.

What the fuck?! Who DOES that? It'd be like me putting in a movie on A/B repeat for six hours while I went to work. Makes no goddamn sense. :confused:

Sapphire Silk
12-25-2013, 04:39 AM
I had a neighbor like that; actually it was her jackass son who was the problem.

I knew things were not going to go well when he starts blaring his punk rock music fully cranked at 3 flipping am! And seemed confused when I band on his door to tell him to shut that shit off (I said it nicer that than, but that's what I was thinking).

I had to deal with his crap for a year. Called the cops several times, but they wouldn't write him a ticket; they thought the matter best handled by management. The manager wanted to evict the mother, but was overruled by corporate; the jackass son actually had the gall to tell the cops I was "harassing him" even though the cops noted the music when they responded to my calls.

It was aggravating. The manager refused to sign a new lease after a year and they finally moved out. Good riddance.

I swear, the next house I buy will be in the country with no neighbors :mad:

OfficeSlug
12-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11. One time she turned it up full and left for the fucking day. 7 hours, no one home to listen to it, but at full volume..

I had neighbors like that when I lived in Orlando (FL). Except they were in the NEXT building across the yard. And I heard every damn note & bass line & vocals through the walls, windows. For HOURS. Yes, across the yard.

I don't know how the 7 other apartments in that one building dealt with it.

Captain Trips
12-25-2013, 08:20 PM
What the fuck?! Who DOES that? It'd be like me putting in a movie on A/B repeat for six hours while I went to work. Makes no goddamn sense. :confused:

Who? Someone who feels I owe her because my ancestors enslaved hers. (Point: in the 1800's, my ancestors were poor peasants in Eastern Europe. Just because I look white doesn't mean my great-grandparents were Southern Plantation owners.) She actually DID say "because I'm black and you're white." In other words, a reverse-racist bitch.

I'll bet she "plays the race card" whenever she has the chance. She's that kind of "person." Fortunately, this was all 25 years ago (and made me decide to never share walls with a neighbor again, if I can help it.)

Aethian
12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
In other words, a reverse-racist bitch.

She wasn't a reverse racist just a plain ol racist.

XCashier
12-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Agreed. There's no such thing as "reverse racism", since the reverse of racism is acceptance. She's just plain racist.

MadMike
12-25-2013, 11:56 PM
So, my suggestion? Don't wait until "quiet hours" - next time he cranks it up enough to annoy you in your own home, call the police. Again. And again, if needed. After a few visits, he may wake up.

You would think so, wouldn't you? I had an upstairs neighbor that blasted his stereo at all hours of the night. He was actually a nice guy for the most part, but somewhat clueless when it came to noise. I'd knock on his door, and if he answered it, he would turn it down, but then he'd gradually turn it back up. I called the police on him so many times, I still remember their number, even though I moved out of the city over 20 years ago. It was so bad, that even his own wife would get tired of it and break his speakers. And then he'd run out and get a brand new set.

One night we were hanging out, and he told me he knew I was the one who had called the police, and he understood why, and apologized for the noise. I was relieved, and figured that he had finally gotten the message. But he still kept doing it. Some people... :rolleyes:

Jay 2K Winger
12-26-2013, 12:34 AM

Agreed. There's no such thing as "reverse racism", since the reverse of racism is acceptance. She's just plain racist.

Very much agreed. If someone of a minority accuses someone of a majority of being racist because they are of that majority, then the person of the minority is the one who is being racist.

pzychobitch
12-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Reminds me of one neighbor I had. She would play her rap music with the volume at 11.

good lord, i love rap music, but not enough to want to annoy the fuck out of anyone. yeah, i play it at a decent volume. if i want it LOUD, i have the brain cells required to grab a pair of earbuds and put them in.

Racket_Man
12-26-2013, 05:10 AM
Not as bad as my Ex and I getting the cops called on usseveral times for (the "complaintants" 2 floors above us words not mine) "having a VERY LOUD ORGY PARTY" in our apartment. :devil::lol::roll::D

stitchwitch
12-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Not as bad as my Ex and I getting the cops called on usseveral times for (the "complaintants" 2 floors above us words not mine) "having a VERY LOUD ORGY PARTY" in our apartment. :devil::lol::roll::D

Were you? :devil:

Estil
12-26-2013, 07:07 AM
If my upbringing is any indication, that little girl is not going to have a fun childhood. :(

greensinestro
12-27-2013, 01:09 AM
I had a neighbor like that, too. She wouldn't just crank up the rap music either. She would also get on her phone and get into literal screaming matches with whomever she was on with. My guess was it was a boyfriend, but who knows?

One morning, she cranked up her stereo at 4am, booming loud, while she was vacuuming. By 430am, I'd had enough and called the police. Later that morning, I went to the landlord, and discovered Miss Inconsiderate had been to the leasing office earlier, crying that someone would do that to her, never mind she'd started the commotion. It was priceless to hear that, and she did not do it again.

However, too bad to say she still had a temper and still had loud conversations with whoever she was talking to. Man, did I celebrate when she moved out.

Racket_Man
12-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Were you? :devil:

no and it was just the two of us getting a little loud shall we say during a later in the night romantic interlude with the window partially open. :devil::lol::roll:

stitchwitch
12-27-2013, 06:41 PM
no and it was just the two of us getting a little loud shall we say during a later in the night romantic interlude with the window partially open. :devil::lol::roll:

Sounds like they were prudes who felt that sex should be done quietly in the dark.

bhskittykatt
12-31-2013, 07:04 PM
So Hubs had been ringing their doorbell when it gets loud. They don't answer, but the music goes down.

Today I could hear the music in the bedroom (which is opposite side of the apartment from the shared wall). So I decided to try Hubby's strategy. Just my luck, they answered the door. The dad wasn't in, but the mother and her teenage son were, and both called me a "fucking bitch" for daring to ask them to turn the music down. The son whined about how "it's every fucking day with you people!". I pointed out that it was every day with their music, too.

They did turn the music down, though.

They're probably grumpy because Hubs called the cops on them yesterday. No adults were home, just the two younger girls (the 4-5 year old one, and I guess there's an 11-12 year old one as well...it's only a 2 bedroom apartment so they really have them packed in there it seems).

My landlord has vanished, so I haven't been able to tell him what's up with the new neighbors. (He will always be around until you need him for something or rent is due, and then it seems he disappears, and I don't have an updated phone number for him either.)

MoonCat
12-31-2013, 08:40 PM
So when next the rent is due, hold off for a day. When he turns up asking for it, give him an earful about the neighbors along with the check.

bhskittykatt
01-01-2014, 10:34 AM
So Hubs talked to the landlord about it yesterday. Apparently I missed all the drama, but Hubs filled me in.

Landlord went over to talk to them. He tried to see if we could agree on a reasonable volume. Sucky Neighbor then called Landlord racist. Whoooo boy....

Landlord exploded on them. So, these neighbors moved in from another unit in the complex, and apparently Landlord has cut them a lot of favors. Sucky Neighbor Husband was away for a while and Sucky Neighbor Wife couldn't make rent, so Landlord actually floated them and basically gave them a few month's free rent. Sucky Neighbors have written Landlord three bounced checks so far, and Landlord has worked with them instead of kicked them out. One of Landlord's employees even expressed his concerns about these people and wanted Landlord to kick them out, but Landlord didn't. And with all that, Landlord just let them upgrade from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom. Landlord was just all, "After everything I've done for you...!"

Landlord walked away mad. Sucky Neighbor then looked at Hubs and was all, "See what you've done now?" Yeah, it's totally Hubby's fault that you suck and that you've abused Landlord's generosity and then called him a racist and pissed him off. I'm sure that's all Hubby's fault. </sarcasm>

So yeah, it sounds like they were already probably on Landlord's shit list, but they've just moved up a few lines.

fireheart
01-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Sounds like they were prudes who felt that sex should be done quietly in the dark.

With the covers over the top and nothing other than plain old intercourse...

(We had this discussion the other day between my SO and I. Turns out his ex fit this bill. Then she turned out to be utterly psychotic :eek:. I have my own hangups in bed, but I don't hesitate to turn the volume up! That said, the walls of his house are thick stone and the neighbours on either side of him a) don't care and b) one is in a nursing home in the final stages of dementia)

Jay 2K Winger
01-01-2014, 06:28 PM
So yeah, it sounds like they were already probably on Landlord's shit list, but they've just moved up a few lines.

I think this calls for ... THE GIF.

http://i.imgur.com/uh5A6.gif

April
01-03-2014, 08:21 PM
We lived under the stompers. As in they were completely unable to walk without stomping as hard as possible. This wasn't just walking. it was like they had their feet encased in cement blocks walking. I went up there to talk to them one time, just to ask them if they could try to walk a little softer. I was told to fuck off, they would walk however they wanted to. So I took to bouncing a basketball off of the ceiling. I would follow under them and bounce it. Eventually they got the message or got sick of it because they stopped.

Lace Neil Singer
01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Once I read in the local paper about some people who were whinging cuz an undertaker moved into the vacant shop below their flat. I just wanted to bitchslap them and say, "Well, at least the people below you are gonna be DEAD QUIET!" XD

In my last flat, the guy who lived in the flat above me, I nicknamed "Thumper" cuz there was always loud banging noises coming from the ceiling, as tho he was moving furniture about. He eventually stopped after a few times when I played loud music to both drown out the thumps and show my displeasure. The main problem was the lack of soundproofing in the walls and ceilings, and no double glazing. My new place is better; there's a single mum upstairs with a baby I hear crying if I go outside for a ciggie; once I go inside my flat, I hear nothing.

protege
01-04-2014, 03:35 AM
This thread reminds me of when I was a kid. Years ago, we had one guy up the street, who loved to throw wild parties every now and then. Problem was, he was in the middle of suburbia. Lots of families with young children.

One night, he had the speakers cranked up so loud, that our walls were *vibrating.* If our walls were moving, I'd hate to see what was going on closer to that place! I do know, that the family directly across from the asshole lost several china plates...when they fell off the wall! Not only that, but their daughter (who was maybe 1 year old) couldn't sleep.

Just about everybody was pissed. Quite a few people yelled at the asshole, but it didn't seem to do anything. Neither did the cops--by the time they showed up, the party was pretty much over. Apparently though, the father of the 1 year old had enough. Er, did I mention that he was rumored to have connections to Pittsburgh's underworld? I do know that he went over there with a bat...and that was the end of the wild parties :eek:

Captain Trips
01-04-2014, 03:48 AM
....Apparently though, the father of the 1 year old had enough. Er, did I mention that he was rumored to have connections to Pittsburgh's underworld? I do know that he went over there with a bat...and that was the end of the wild parties :eek:

Taking the law into his own hands? Why did anyone wait so long to call the cops? And who says cops don't do anything when they get there after the party's over? Not when I've had to call them - they still gave my neighbor a rough time over it.

bhskittykatt
01-04-2014, 10:22 PM
The father came by to apologize again today and to ask if he could use our parking spot out front for a few days (Hubs just sold his truck that was parked there). We're not using it and we told him that would be fine. So I'm holding out some hope that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't want to fight with my neighbors, after all. I'm not holding much hope, but just a little bit.

Kit-Ginevra
01-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Simple solution.He starts gets aggressive.... stick Pippin on him. That'll show him. Bite,Pippin,Bite...

*exit man pursued by angry snapping rodent*

DGoddessChardonnay
01-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Simple solution.He starts gets aggressive.... stick Pippin on him. That'll show him. Bite,Pippin,Bite...

*exit man pursued by angry snapping rodent*

I wouldn't wish that on Pippin . . . she didn't do anything to deserve that.:p:lol:

fireheart
01-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Although the mental image of a very tall man being pursued by a tiny rodent, set to yakkity sax is hilarious :roll:

protege
01-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Taking the law into his own hands? Why did anyone wait so long to call the cops?

I'm sure the cops were called quickly. But, it was probably judged to be low priority. If it's not life-threatening, they can be slow to respond. By the time they did show up, everyone was gone, the tunes weren't playing, and the house was closed up. No lights on, and nobody came to the door. Cops walked around the property, didn't see anyone, so they left.

Kit-Ginevra
01-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Although the mental image of a very tall man being pursued by a tiny rodent, set to yakkity sax is hilarious :roll:

Or the Benny Hill theme... :lol:

DGoddessChardonnay
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm sure the cops were called quickly. But, it was probably judged to be low priority. If it's not life-threatening, they can be slow to respond. By the time they did show up, everyone was gone, the tunes weren't playing, and the house was closed up. No lights on, and nobody came to the door. Cops walked around the property, didn't see anyone, so they left.

Depends on what one calls "low priority."

And speaking of sucky neighbors, we had a group a few houses behind us who were flat out DANGEROUS.

Had a couple move into a house about 4 houses behind us on the side street. Hubs was using the detatched garage to work out of on the side (which we had no issue with, as it wasn't our affair.)

What we did have an issue with, was the cars flying up the road and onto the main road at breakneck speeds at all hours.

Mom was out one afternoon in her chair going to see some friends who live on one of the side streets. She was coming back a short time later and got to the corner and had to dart out of the way b/c one of the cars came from that house and nearly clipped her!!!:eek: :jawdrop:

Meanwhile I was on the front porch with the newspaper and a glass of wine and saw the car coming up to the stop sign and it didn't even slow down - it flew around the corner and the front end at one point was lined up aiming for our front yard!!!:eek:

At the last second the car straightened itself out and flew up to Wendover and blew through the stoplight with another car following.

By the time I could get back to my phone, which was on the table, Mom came up on the porch using the ramp and she was shaking. She'd called 911 on her cell phone (which she had on her person) and we saw the same two cars come flying back around the corner, still not slowing down.

Two cop cars pulled up alongside our yard within 5 minutes. Mom and I told what we had seen (this wasn't the first time those cars had come flying through - they came close to hitting our next door neighbor's house several times before) and pointed at the black marks in the road and told them to follow those to the house.

They quickly understood and immediately went down there.

Short time later, the wife came up into our yard and started yelling at my mother for calling the cops. Nevermind that Mom told her that one of those cars almost mowed her down in her wheelchair . . . the wife was pissed and threatening to have Mom arrested for harrassment.

Mom told her it was her neighborhood and she would call the cops if she felt a need to and for HER to get out of her yard or she'd be arrested.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting there quietly, house phone and cell phone both on the table by the wine glass. Bitch finally left, still running her mouth and I told Mom she should have offered her the phone to call them back out here.

Mom also called the real estate office that handles our property - turns out the owner knows the guy who owns that particular house and had some words with him. So apparently the owner was called and apprised of the situation.

Those troublemakers were gone a few months later. But they stopped flying up and down the roads after that.:angel:

Ophbalance
01-05-2014, 03:35 PM
We lived under the stompers. As in they were completely unable to walk without stomping as hard as possible. This wasn't just walking. it was like they had their feet encased in cement blocks walking. I went up there to talk to them one time, just to ask them if they could try to walk a little softer. I was told to fuck off, they would walk however they wanted to. So I took to bouncing a basketball off of the ceiling. I would follow under them and bounce it. Eventually they got the message or got sick of it because they stopped.

Many many years ago, I went to one of the offshoots of the PSU campuses in NEPA. I choose that one as it had brand new dorms, and it was about as far away from the parents as I could get and still be within the PSU system. We had our fair share of stompers in the dorms, but the thing that always intrigued me was almost always girls that couldn't be more than 90 pounds soaking wet. I still cannot figure how they made that much noise ;). I was fortunate to live in the upper story of the dorm, but when visiting friends it was pretty obnoxious.

fireheart
01-06-2014, 03:21 AM
Or the Benny Hill theme... :lol:

Psst...they're the same thing. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakety_sax

Kit-Ginevra
01-06-2014, 03:55 AM
Ah I was thinking of Yakety Yak :D

Pixilated
01-06-2014, 04:00 AM
I'm sure the cops were called quickly. But, it was probably judged to be low priority. If it's not life-threatening, they can be slow to respond. *snip*

Very true. When I called the local police to complain about the loud parties in the next apartment, they told me to call the superintendent.

Who had some months earlier said he wasn't to be called after 9 p.m.

Ben_Who
01-06-2014, 04:39 AM
When I lived in that crappy apartment on Crescent, our booming-bass guy was the idiot in Apartment 1 who would pop a 72-pack and sit back with his easy chair three inches from the speakers, crank it up to concert-hall level, get crosseyed-drunk, and pass out in the chair with the stereo still rattling the windows. You could see him sitting there from the street, beer can in one hand, head back, eyes closed, drooling lavishly, as those four-foot woofers pounded away at him.

The police weren't going to wake THAT guy up by banging on the door. God knows they tried - there was always the chance that they were looking at an alcohol-poisoned corpse that had aspirated its own vomit - so it was time to call the landlord to vie thee hence with the key, and, just for funsies, an ambulance.

It happened three or four times. Slow learner.

mishakal908
01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
One of the apartments I lived in while I was in college was a basement apartment. One of the nice things about my apartment was that there was an outside door (down a stairwell). There were a couple of guys that lived two floors above us and they loved to party pretty much any/every day of the week. My roommate and I spent a lot of time going up there and telling them to turn the music down. The final straw was that some of the guys that attended these parties decided that our outside door (down a stairwell) was a great place to relieve themselves. So after the third time this happened we called the police. See while most of the students in the apartment building were of age to drink, these guys and most of their friends were not and some arrests were made. :devil: Plus when the landlord found out about the police call :wave:, the guys got a nice fine for leaving their keg from their party out in the hallway (when you signed your lease you agreed not to have kegs in your apartment). While the partying didn't stop on the weekends it thankfully stopped during the week and we never had a problem with guys using our stairwell as a urinal anymore.:devil:

Jetfire
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Very true. When I called the local police to complain about the loud parties in the next apartment, they told me to call the superintendent.

Who had some months earlier said he wasn't to be called after 9 p.m.

Ugh, if my activities are being interrupted due to inconsiderate people in other apartments, then you can be damn sure the superintendent's activities are going to be interrupted by ME to force him to do his job. And calling him back each time it happened. (Or calling the police after calling him).

Thankfully, my current condos have thick walls (double thick sheetrock on each side of the shared walls for 4 layers + concrete floor between the first and second floor units) so I almost never hear anything from my neighbours unless the windows are open. Sometimes I might here the vacuum next door but that's all I've ever heard.

Before that, I lived in an apartment, and for the most part it wasn't bad. Sometimes in the summer, people would get loud and you'd hear them through the windows, but I only felt I had to call the police once due to all the screaming going on. (Though there was a second time I had to call the Super about some loud tenants a couple floors below mine; they moved out within a couple months)

protege
01-11-2014, 01:38 AM
When I lived in that crappy apartment on Crescent, our booming-bass guy was the idiot in Apartment 1 who would pop a 72-pack and sit back with his easy chair three inches from the speakers, crank it up to concert-hall level, get crosseyed-drunk, and pass out in the chair with the stereo still rattling the windows.

Why did I read "Crescent" as "Coruscant?" Yep, I think I've seen the entire Star Wars series just a *few* too many times...

Monterey Jack
01-11-2014, 02:52 AM
Why did I read "Crescent" as "Coruscant?" Yep, I think I've seen the entire Star Wars series just a *few* too many times...

Must be rockin' out to the Cantina Band music...

Difdi
01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
So we recently had new neighbors move in. And....loud bass vibrating my walls. Oh joy.

There's something you can do about that. It's not nice, mind you.

Get a parabolic microphone and aim it at the loud neighbor's apartment. There's a type of speaker you can get, relatively new and very high tech that basically does for sound what lasers do for light. Connect them together and aim the speaker at the neighbor's apartment. Amplifier optional.

Result: Your neighbor will blast himself off the face of the planet sonically, and only he will be able to hear it. :devil:

Shalom
01-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Get a parabolic microphone and aim it at the loud neighbor's apartment. There's a type of speaker you can get, relatively new and very high tech that basically does for sound what lasers do for light. Connect them together and aim the speaker at the neighbor's apartment. Amplifier optional.

Wouldn't that just make a lot of howling feedback?

Or is that the point?

Dreamstalker
01-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Our upstairs neighbors are back x_x After nearly a month of peace and quiet... Nice people, but they have NO rugs or anything in their unit and I don't think they realize how sound/vibrations carry in an older building. Area rugs would solve most of the problem, although there's some sort of uber-bass surround-sound setup in the living room...someone plays a lot of FPS games on that thing.

The toddler in the bedroom directly above mine has decided that I should wake up at 6AM -_-

Racket_Man
01-18-2014, 07:15 AM

now that I remember back from that time.

Apparently the Husband talked to my Ex several weeks later and sort of apologized for his wife calling the cops that nights. She (the wife) was pissed that my Ex was getting some and he was laughing at her getting pissed off at us having a physical interlude and he (the husband) was not in the "mood that night". The wife just kept getting more pissed off and finally called the cops.

Difdi
01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't that just make a lot of howling feedback?

Or is that the point?

Yes. Yes it would. But it would be in direct proportion to how loud the guy's music is, and only the guy it's aimed at would be able to hear any of it. One of the neat things about those coherent sound speakers, their upper output limit is well above the point that windows get blown in.

Pixilated
01-19-2014, 01:13 AM
There's something you can do about that. It's not nice, mind you.

Result: Your neighbor will blast himself off the face of the planet sonically, and only he will be able to hear it. :devil:

Oh ... my ... gods ... REALLY???

Damn. Now I wish I had a reason to move back into the apartment! I've heard that the guy decided to quit drinking so it's been quieter, but heck, I'd be happy to ruin his days and nights regardless!

So nobody above him, or below him, would be bothered by this??

Pixilated
01-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Ugh, if my activities are being interrupted due to inconsiderate people in other apartments, then you can be damn sure the superintendent's activities are going to be interrupted by ME to force him to do his job. And calling him back each time it happened. (Or calling the police after calling him).
*snip*

Problem was, all you'd get was his cellphone answering service. And the cops just said, "Call your super." And even if they had decided to show up, a noise complaint was going to be pretty low on their "To Do" list.

I've always been amazed that nobody above or below him seemed to complain.