PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft my ass

An Haddock
01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
So in the last few months I've had a couple of customers who have received phone calls from "Microsoft" saying that their computer is infected and sending out viruses... and they will happily remotely connect and fix the problem for you! Isn't that helpful!

It's all bullshit, of course... it's some group of scumbags from another country who literally go right through the white pages calling each person and hoping they fall for their schpiel... which results in their data getting hijacked and their computer getting infected with god knows what.

I've gotten a couple such calls myself... I try to have fun with them... tell them I have an Apple computer (I don't) and ask why Microsoft is contacting me about an Apple. The last time the guy stammered some reason but finally realized I was onto him and hung up.

Next time they call me I'm going to tell them I'm an FBI agent and the call is being traced. What're they gonna do - have me arrested?

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this nonsense and if you had any fun messing with the scammers.

Aethian
01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Mom had them for almost a hour once before she said she didn't have a computer.

telecom_goddess
01-10-2014, 06:08 PM
I actually got one of those calls! I told them no and hung up.

IT Grunt
01-10-2014, 06:19 PM
My mom got one of those when I was visiting. She knows enough about computers to send email and surf the 'net but that's it. She had no idea what the guy was talking about and said 'Here, talk to my son, he does computers for a living.' There was no one on the line when I got the phone. ;) Busted.

Silent-Hunter
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM
My boyfriend's mother had thie exact thing, but it was supposedly the ISP calling.

And be careful, I'm sure imperonating an FBI agent can actually get you arrested if the scammers know that and report you.

I will tell them the truth if they call me. I use Linux.

Crossbow
01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
I just turn them over to Mrs. Crossbow... who HAS worked for Microsoft. :D That revelation usually gets them to hang up fast...

Headset Hellion
01-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I've had a few customers who initially called to report a billing dispute but I ended up transferring to our fraud department because of this scam. The story is always the same: they got a call from "Microsoft," the "tech" told them they had viruses on their computer and promised to fix it (for a nominal fee, of course), so they authorized their credit card for the "repair" services. Now their computer is worse off than before, and they can't get anyone from "Microsoft" to return their calls.

All of the customers have been elderly, and they feel very ashamed for falling for the scam. I've heard a lot of, "How could I be so stupid?" I try to reassure them that it's not their fault, but it makes me sad that some criminal made them feel that way in the first place.

lordlundar
01-10-2014, 11:50 PM
And be careful, I'm sure imperonating an FBI agent can actually get you arrested if the scammers know that and report you.

Right, I can see this happening...

"I was impersonating a Microsoft representative and committing electronic fraud when he responded saying he was an FBI agent! Arrest them!"

That will sure work out well for them.:p

An Haddock
01-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Your mom rules!

HiddenMica
01-11-2014, 05:08 PM
My boyfriend has has some fun with the Western Union Scammers at work. Basically the same thing but Western Union NEVER calls so it's easy to pick up a scammer, if they called they are a scammer.

He even had one try and pull "I'm making an honest living! You don't know what it's like living in a third world country!" Yea... That didn't go over well with him, he grew up on a reservation in Canada. "I grew up on the reservation! It's a third world country inside a first world country try that f**ker!"

He's actually rather surprised they haven't taken that store off the auto dialer yet...

Silent-Hunter
01-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Right, I can see this happening...

"I was impersonating a Microsoft representative and committing electronic fraud when he responded saying he was an FBI agent! Arrest them!"

That will sure work out well for them.:p

You make a good point! I myself will still play it safeand mess with them in other ways.

Come to think of it, yeah they'd get in trouble, but you might as well.

dalesys
01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
FBI? Uncle Ho and Chairman Mao are friends and they're coming over for dinner. <click>

(... files on ape. actions on tape. dramas on tape ...)

freeatlast
01-11-2014, 10:33 PM
They used to call here periodically - I told them we were definitely not interested and not to call again. A few months ago, they made the mistake of calling here again. I went off. "Now listen here Hadji - I told you before not to call here again and you were obviously too stupid to listed to my demand. Now you will give me your name, company name and address and your personal address and phone number. I am sure that all that info will be required when I file a harrassment suit against you and your company." Rude little SOB hung up on me and hasn't called back :devil:

KatherineB
01-12-2014, 01:03 AM
I used to keep a book beside the phone and begin reading it at them. You see, they're not supposed to hang up unless they get caught out as scammers etc. But sadly the furthest I ever got was four pages in before they hung up. *sad sigh*

On the up side, since moving to a house without a landline phone, I haven't had a single call!

SteeleDragon78
01-12-2014, 04:08 AM
my brother tech_monkey had one on a work cell, he had some fun (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=93114) with that guy. i only heard his side as i was sliding down the wall holding my sides laughing.

MadMike
01-12-2014, 06:16 AM
I screen anything that I don't recognize on Caller ID, but I've googled a few of the numbers after the fact, and apparently these scammers have tried to call me once or twice.

I'm not a confrontational person (but if you piss me off bad enough, watch out!), so I haven't tried to play with these scammers, but if I ever did decide to, I think I'd pretend to follow their instructions, and claim that I kept getting a "page not found" every time. I'm sure they'd eventually ask if I was connected to the internet, and then I'd tell them, "No, I just moved in here, and I haven't ordered internet service yet. Is that a problem?"

Mr Hero
01-12-2014, 06:17 AM
I used to keep a book beside the phone and begin reading it at them. You see, they're not supposed to hang up unless they get caught out as scammers etc. But sadly the furthest I ever got was four pages in before they hung up. *sad sigh*

On the up side, since moving to a house without a landline phone, I haven't had a single call!

What you should do is keep a book there specifically for this. Read as far as you can before they hang up, but once they do stop. Then when you get another call, pick up where you left off. See if you can finish an entire book in this way.

retro
01-12-2014, 07:18 AM
My response is usually, "Please hold while I get him"

Then I place the phone right next to the TV and put the hard rock channel on.

LOUDLY.

They've usually gone when "he" picks up the phone.

Kit-Ginevra
01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
I let them talk me through the process...open window...click...etc...what do you see... I've got the page up... It's a warning about scammers-that someone will call you pretending to be from Microsoft.Do not give them your details.Contact the police...is this the site you were leading me to?
That normally shuts'em up

aulocksmith
01-12-2014, 11:18 AM
A friend of mine fell for this last week. Which is strange, considering that just before christmas, he got the same call and told them to f-off.

Anyway, he gets about 1 hour in to it with them, has granted them remote administrative access, and then decides to call me to ask about it. I nearly fell down laughing when I heard him start ripping in to them after I told him that it was a scam and to hang up on them. I think it was combination of all SCs on this site combined.

Unfortunately, by the time he'd called me, the damage had been done, and they had locked him out of his computer. Thankfully, being XP, a repair install, with a CLI command quickly restored access.

I don't think he'll be falling for that one again.

Cooper
01-12-2014, 05:47 PM
When I first got the call I was suspicious, but strung them along until I looked up what this was about. (Funny how useful google could be.)

Once I figured it out, I started grilling them about /which/ computer it was (we have a desktop, four laptops, and a tablet which run Windows in the house), claiming I was writing down their instructions to do on the other computers, and then the conversation went a lot like this:

Him: Now do [this.]
Me: Done.
Him: Do you see [this?]
Me: Nope.
Him: Why not?
Me: I didn't do it.

If you look up scammers under Not Always Working they have tons of people trolling these guys.

Estil
01-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Hee hee, so you fillibuster them! You should be a Senator or go into Parliment or whatever your country has!:D

KatherineB
01-12-2014, 11:23 PM
What you should do is keep a book there specifically for this. Read as far as you can before they hang up, but once they do stop. Then when you get another call, pick up where you left off. See if you can finish an entire book in this way.

Ooh, what a good idea! I was getting sick of the start of Tale of Two Cities anyway...

Hee hee, so you fillibuster them! You should be a Senator or go into Parliment or whatever your country has!:D

*lol* Yup! It's fun listening to them try to interrupt. But when I get a roll, it's very hard to stop me...

the lawsmeister
01-13-2014, 12:31 AM
I've had them call twice but both times I've been in the middle of bathing the kids or putting them to bed and have hung up.
My father and one of my uncles however are having a competition to see who can keep them on the phone the longest.
Dad is currently winning with 40 minutes though my uncle has received bonus points for getting the caller to swear when they realise that they've been busted.

Seem to recall a news story from a few years back where the person getting the call said they were busy and asked for a number to call them back on and they gave them one :eek:
They passed it on to the cops who were able to get the address from the phone company (it was a domestic number, not international) and make an arrest.
I'll have to see if I can track down the article online

LesserSouthernFroglet
01-13-2014, 04:06 AM
We used to get these calls at least once a week. Ugh.

The annoyance factor of the calls on their own was bad enough, but some of them would get abusive and swear at us when we called them out, and a couple even rang back to tell us off for being rude to them by hanging up when they were abusing us.

The last call was several months ago. Mum took the call, and handed it to me.

I asked for the caller's name, her supervisor's name, the number they were calling from and their company. I told her I knew it was a scam and that I was reporting it to several Government authorities, which I named.

She couldn't hang up quick enough... and I haven't had a call from them since.

raudf
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I've gotten calls that I suspect were scammers, but I didn't answer them. I might do that now and have a bit of fun when I'm bored. I've got a dictionary and I can access Urban Dictionary... might as well give 'em a broad education.

Kittykat
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
LOL, I got one of these calls yesterday. The funniest part, is my Uncle is retired FBI and happened to be over. I just handed him the phone.

Jetfire
01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
I feel ignored now. :( I've never gotten any of those calls. They don't seem to call my area code or something for some reason.

Then again we used to get the Fog Horn "You have won a vacation!" calls, along with the "Important credit card information" automated ones. Those made me unplug my landline for good a couple years ago and now I only go by my cell phone.

An Haddock
01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Got one last night. Told him I was with the FBI and we were tracing the call. He couldn't hang up fast enough.

The funny thing is - they're getting smart. They're actually using a real Microsoft contact number (or at least a recording from Microsoft) for the called ID. I was talking to a friend of mine about this and somehow they're managing to spoof the Microsoft contact phone number. I'm not sure how they do that but unfortunately it adds an air of legitimacy to their crap.

I'll have to email my friend in the FBI and see if they can actually do anything or not.

retro
01-15-2014, 09:08 AM
What I don't understand is the persistent attempts. Look, I've call out your BS once so why do you keep calling up? For the fun of it?

Lady Legira
01-15-2014, 05:40 PM
It's funny but I don't think we've had one of these since I handed the phone over to my partner who was staying over for the weekend.

He used to work in Data Security, had contracts with government agencies and Microsoft and dabbled in some grey areas.

He immediately started asking the person why they wanted him to open this particular thing as it did this and why would you need to be in there... oh he's hung up. :devil: :lol:

Before that I strung one along for 3/4 of an hour. :D They must have thought I was blonde until I started asking very pertinent questions.

otakuneko
01-16-2014, 02:00 AM

For some reason I pictured a little white-haired old lady, sitting in a la-z-boy and gently rocking as she gave non-commital answers for an hour before finally saying, "Honey, I don't even have a computer."

I feel ignored now. :( I've never gotten any of those calls. They don't seem to call my area code or something for some reason.

Then again we used to get the Fog Horn "You have won a vacation!" calls, along with the "Important credit card information" automated ones. Those made me unplug my landline for good a couple years ago and now I only go by my cell phone.

Yeah. I've never gotten one of these guys either. Then again, back when I had a landline I never answered the phone unless they talked to my answering machine.

Now I don't have a landline. But, I've never gotten one on my google voice number either. Shame. I'd love to get one of these guys on the phone and lure them into one of my virtual machines. :devil:

I was talking to a friend of mine about this and somehow they're managing to spoof the Microsoft contact phone number. I'm not sure how they do that but unfortunately it adds an air of legitimacy to their crap.

Caller ID is trivial to spoof. Unless you have an 800 number, you're getting what the other end wants you to see.

Aethian
01-16-2014, 06:15 AM
For some reason I pictured a little white-haired old lady, sitting in a la-z-boy and gently rocking as she gave non-commital answers for an hour before finally saying, "Honey, I don't even have a computer."

Add in one of her boys begging for pettings and you have pictured right.