PDA

View Full Version : And this is why I'm glad I no longer work retail

Kittykat
01-18-2014, 04:27 PM
I was in Bi-Lo yesterday doing the weekly grocery shopping, and come up to the register once I've gotten everything I needed.

The poor cashier, who I happen to know from school had only recently gotten hired and was only doing it to fill time while the kids are in school, because she's been a stay at home mom for years.

SC- Obv
Kate- (Cashier)
SM- (Shift Manager)

SC is in front of me, and apparently a lot of her coupons don't match, Kate is trying to scan the ones that DO match and then go through the ones that don't, so it goes faster.

SC: "I don't see what the problem is, I got the right products so what if they're a different size!"

Kate: "I'm sorry Ma'am, but if they aren't the right size as indicated on the coupon we can't take them."

SC: Proceeds to start cussing, in french.

Me: (Who took french in high school, just shaking my head)

SM: (Comes over) To Kate- "What seems to be the problem?"

SC: "She won't take my coupons!"

Kate: "I explained to SC that her items don't match the sizes on the coupons"

SC: "She has been rude and disrespectful!"

Me: "Actually, she has been very respectful and polite the entire time."

SC: "Mind your own damn business!"

SM: "I'm sorry ma'am, but we can't take them." Looks at me and says thank you.

SC: Grumbles and mumbles and pays finally. Walking off cussing loudly in french.

Me: Shaking my head and laughing. "So apparently you're a dumb bitch who can't do your job."

Kate: Laughs.

It never ceases to amaze me with some people.

otakuneko
01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Well, they can't read signs, I guess we can't expect them to read coupons either. :rolleyes:

Kittykat
01-18-2014, 07:41 PM
I know, it was just funny honestly, and cursing in french is what made me post it here because I was laughing so hard once she was gone.

Cia
01-18-2014, 08:39 PM
You forgot to add "unlike her" pointing at the SC in your reply to the SM.

Brojekk
01-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Perhaps you should have said "have a nice day" in French to that SC as she was leaving.

Dytchdoctir
01-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Actually, when you are telling a malicious lie, it becomes my business to speak up.

Kittykat
01-18-2014, 10:52 PM
exactly, and Brojekk, I wanted to, but I just wanted her to leave.

Pixilated
01-19-2014, 01:08 AM
Kudos to you for speaking up on behalf of the cashier! I love the "Mind your own business!" from the SC -- somehow if you'd backed up that story, I'm sure your "interference" would've been more than welcome!

wolfie
01-19-2014, 02:35 AM
SC: "She won't take my coupons!"

Kate: "I explained to SC that her items don't match the sizes on the coupons"

SC: "She has been rude and disrespectful!"

But Kate WAS rude and disrespectful. After all, not accepting at face value everything the customer says (and not accepting a "2 for $1" candy bar coupon for a couple of T-bone steaks) is being rude and disrespectful - at least from a SC's viewpoint.

Kittykat
01-19-2014, 03:37 AM
LOL, exactly Wolfie. And thanks Pixalated, I've done this job, I know how these people are. I wasn't going to stand there and let the poor girl get bitched at. Keep in mind South Carolina (Where I am) is a Right to work state, basically a right to fire for whatever reason, state.

Difdi
01-20-2014, 07:10 PM
I know, it was just funny honestly, and cursing in french is what made me post it here because I was laughing so hard once she was gone.

I've heard people say 'pardon my french' before...just never actually heard it done straight out before...

Pagan
01-20-2014, 08:07 PM
SC: Proceeds to start cussing, in french.

Me: (Who took french in high school, just shaking my head)

You should have said something to her in French. Nothing shocks the hell out of people more than when you respond to them in the same language that they're using and assume you don't know.

MadMike
01-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Sounds like the woman I got stuck in line behind a few weeks ago. I had a bad feeling as I got in that line, and I shouldn't have ignored it. She had a huge pile of coupons, and most of them weren't usuable for whatever reason. And she argued with the cashier, and then the manager, over every single one of them. By then, I had already started unloading my cart, so I couldn't easily jump into another line, although at that point I was considering throwing everything back in my cart and moving.

There was one upside to it all. When they finally got the woman out of the line (but she was still standing there off to the side looking over her receipt looking all pissed off), the manager came to me and gave me a coupon for a few bucks off my order for having to wait like that.

Jay 2K Winger
01-21-2014, 02:20 AM
(but she was still standing there off to the side looking over her receipt looking all pissed off)

Ahh, those types of Sucktomers. I used to see them now and then at the wholesale club. Sometimes they wouldn't even be difficult while I was ringing them up, but then they'd stand off to one side and carefully examine the receipt with a frown/scowl on their face, and I knew they were looking for any mistake I might have made.

Once or twice, this resulted in them demanding to know why they'd been "charged twice for tax," and I had to explain that our computers parse the non-food tax and the food tax into separate items on the receipt. (Then I'd point out the letter code next to the food items on the receipt for the customer, and tell them "These ones are the ones charged the food tax.")

Kittykat
01-21-2014, 05:40 AM
I'm not fluent in french, but I do know a few words. We looked up the cusswords LOL.

Deevil
01-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Ahh, those types of Sucktomers. I used to see them now and then at the wholesale club. Sometimes they wouldn't even be difficult while I was ringing them up, but then they'd stand off to one side and carefully examine the receipt with a frown/scowl on their face, and I knew they were looking for any mistake I might have made.

I've been known to be scrutinizing my receipt after being checked out at the grocery store/wholesale club/etc...but it's more "how the hell did I manage to spend $50? I only came in to get some milk and eggs" (or "do I have enough fuel points to get ten cents a gallon off gas yet?") and not thinking the cashier screwed up

Jay 2K Winger
01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
I've been known to be scrutinizing my receipt after being checked out at the grocery store/wholesale club/etc...but it's more "how the hell did I manage to spend $50? I only came in to get some milk and eggs" (or "do I have enough fuel points to get ten cents a gallon off gas yet?") and not thinking the cashier screwed up

Understandable, but when I see the Fastidious Receipt Checkers periodically glancing in my direction with that scowl/frown while doing it, I get the feeling it's less "how did I spend so much" and more "what can I find that's wrong so I can get compensation?"

South Texan
01-22-2014, 01:56 AM

Yep. The words of someone who knows full well that what she is doing is wrong.

greensinestro
01-23-2014, 12:52 AM
I think SC's like this actually look at it with coupons, if it's the wrong size, the cashier will scan the coupon anyway and not notice. Or, the SC simply thinks they can just sneak in a few other coupons for items they don't even have, and it won't be noticed either.

Great you know your French. PC's like this always think others don't know second languages.

dalesys
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Bleu, bleu, l'amour est blue... (http://youtu.be/p9FYD1dlw4E)