PDA

View Full Version : 3 cent idiots

mosspack1
01-30-2014, 09:36 PM
While shopping on the pasta isle at the grocery store today I saw 2 women going nuts over pouches of flavored pasta. There are about 6 different flavors, add water, milk, butter, microwave for 10 minutes and Tada!...pasta! They kept going on and on about how they could not believe these pouches were on sale for 99 cents. If they would have taken the time to read the whole sign (yeah, right :rolleyes:) they would have seen underneath the big 99 was "regular price $1.02" :lol:

MoonCat
01-31-2014, 12:55 AM
If it's under a dollar, it must be a GREAT DEAL!! :D

fireheart
01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
If it's under a dollar, it must be a GREAT DEAL!! :D

Heh over in Aussieland that deal would've had me rolling in the aisles.

We don't have 1c/2c coins...all transactions are rounded up or down to the nearest 5c...

There's a consumer testing magazine called CHOICE over here that basically "wades through the bullshit" on consumer claims (and unlike most "consumer rights" crapola, they do try and discourage the attempts to get a discount unless it's a legitimate reason or it's for a test (ie to compare gym memberships). ONe of the things they have on the back of every magazine is where people can send in mislabeled or misprinted items.

Very frequently they will get a sale tag where the sale price and the actual price are identical.

Canadian In Maine
02-01-2014, 10:56 AM
We don't have 1c/2c coins...all transactions are rounded up or down to the nearest 5c...

The penny has been phased out here in Canada also.

$1.02 rounds down to a dollar and $1.03 would round up to a dollar and 5 cents. You'd be amazed at the number of people who complain about the rounding up; they want to know what "you guys" do with the extra pennies.

They don't seem to understand that it's the government that came up with this scheme, not the coffee shop.

drjonah
02-02-2014, 02:15 AM
The place I work at will have sale items like 5 cents less then the regular price and people go crazy buying the stuff. Last week we had a sale on a certain brand of toilet paper (Regular price $5, sale price $4.95). Normally we don't sell much of that brand of toilet paper but last week we were sold out in two days and customers were ticked because we were all out.

Racket_Man
02-03-2014, 04:02 AM
occasionally my pizza place with do a promotion like this.

The regular price of one of our standard pizzas is $12.00. They will heavy advertise a "sale" price of $11.99. YES you read that correctly -- a savings of 1 thin not worth very much penny. People will tear up the phone lines ordering that particular pie for the length of the advert time.

Mr Hero
02-03-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm reminded of this past July when I got an email from Microsoft. Because of my gamerscore, I qualified for a birthday gift of...wait for it...20 Microsoft points! That's equal to one quarter.

retro
02-04-2014, 03:19 PM
What's your gamerscore to get that kind of 'generous' gift? I'm up in the 60,000s and have had nothing like that before.

Mr Hero
02-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I have around 5k, but I think you also have to sign up for X Box Rewards.

vstorevigilante
02-05-2014, 12:33 AM
$1.02 rounds down to a dollar and $1.03 would round up to a dollar and 5 cents. You'd be amazed at the number of people who complain about the rounding up; they want to know what "you guys" do with the extra pennies..

I'm Canadian and have had customers complain about my rounding $5.74 to $5.75 numerous times. "Oh, so you decided to round UP, couldn't round down, could you!?"

No, nimrod, I couldn't, as that would be rounding down FOUR CENTS as opposed to rounding up JUST ONE. Wouldn't turn out so great at the end of the day if I did so for everyone, now, would it??

wolfie
02-05-2014, 01:32 AM
One grocery store chain has adopted a policy of always rounding down, but that's THEIR decision. It's perfectly legal to round 1/2/6/7 down, and 3/4/8/9 up.

Anakah
02-08-2014, 04:36 AM
Best deal ever: .99 for sweet baby ray's bbq sauce normally 3.29. Grabbed about 5. :) Now that was a deal! 1.02 to .99 is pretty funny.

lordlundar
02-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm Canadian and have had customers complain about my rounding $5.74 to $5.75 numerous times. "Oh, so you decided to round UP, couldn't round down, could you!?"

No, nimrod, I couldn't, as that would be rounding down FOUR CENTS as opposed to rounding up JUST ONE. Wouldn't turn out so great at the end of the day if I did so for everyone, now, would it??

It's really up to the company. Some round down totally, a few round up totally, and most go for the round to the nearest defaulting either up or down for mid point (aka 3/8). The only restriction is that business cannot dispense pennies. They must accept them but cannot give change in pennies.

wolfie
02-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Found out today that the "always round down" grocery chain has, without telling anyone, changed their policy to "round 1/2/6/7 down, and 3/4/8/9 up".

EricKei
02-17-2014, 09:12 AM
I've seen this phenomenon before. People see that something is "ON SALE!!" and their minds simply shut down. Heck, back at BoutiqueGrocery, they would often have some items listed in the fliers as "featured", complete with big endcap displays and big eye-catching signs, but with no discount whatsoever. When I brought this up to Manglement, their response was always the same: "It's not on sale, it's our featured special item. We never said it was discounted..." :wave: -- This didn't stop said items from selling like hotcakes anyway. ~_~
sweet baby ray's bbq sauce .
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I love that stuff ^_^

drjonah
02-17-2014, 10:15 AM
I've seen this phenomenon before. People see that something is "ON SALE!!" and their minds simply shut down.

LOL I used to joke a long time ago that I was going to open a store called 'Everything is a discount'. For example, I would sell a candy bar for $5 but tell the customer that the candy bar is normally priced $8 so they're getting a discount!!

But you're right, there's just something about on sale or featured that causes people to just go nuts. My mom used to be bad about that, if she had a coupon or something was on sale, she HAD to buy it even if we had no use for it, BUT IT WAS ON SALE!!

mjr
02-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Several years back, I was in a supermarket that had bottles of barbecue sauce on sale for 10 cents each. I bought something like 20 bottles.

Chromatix
02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
LOL I used to joke a long time ago that I was going to open a store called 'Everything is a discount'. For example, I would sell a candy bar for $5 but tell the customer that the candy bar is normally priced $8 so they're getting a discount!!
That would be illegal in Britain, for precisely this reason. If you advertise a sale or a discount, then the item in question must actually have been on sale at the higher price being compared to, both recently and for a significant period of time.

EricKei
02-17-2014, 03:55 PM
LOL I used to joke a long time ago that I was going to open a store called 'Everything is a discount'.
I know you were joking...but, unfortunately, that's how department stores in general work, at least in the US. When a new CEO (or whatever) at one major chain decided to change that, a million and a half customers rewarded the company for their newfound honesty by not shopping there anymore.

In other words, The JC Penney Effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfkWZPAUg4). :rolleyes:

(The first three minutes or so of the vid are the relevant part)

Trixie
02-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Currently, we have $5 toilet paper with $1 coupon. Four bucks is still a good deal. At least twice now we've had it on sale for $4.99 with the dollar coupon. Yeah, it goes flying out the door for the savings of one penny.

And here's a big savings that I got myself! I was looking to buy a new computer last year and checked out the deals I can get through my employer. Some of the savings were good but just out of reach for my budget. I found one that looked good and kept an eye on it. Finally it went on sale...it was something I could afford on top of the savings from my employee discount...of 3 cents. :rolleyes:

Chromatix
02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
The JC Penney effect is, I suspect, a large part of the reason for European consumer-protection laws that cover retail practices. Aggressive sales and marketing tactics are after all, expressly designed to distort the rational thought processes that Adam Smith famously assumed.