PDA

View Full Version : Frat boys ahoy! (long)

Redbeard
02-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Several years ago at the Con of Dragon there was an occurrence that changed how the convention was handled.

For those that don't know, DragonCon is known as NerdiGras for the party atmosphere, one that is helped by the convention being held in a string of hotels (Most being interconnected by a number of over the street habitat trails. Kind of cool). You basically have 60+ thousand freaks, geeks and weirdos partying for 4 days straight. Morals are loosened, clothes are removed, and some beautiful barely there costumes are revealed (especially after dark. 8:00 rolls around and WOW).
Can you picture it? Sounds pretty cool, right?
Unfortunately word got around to individuals from several colleges who were in town for a major college football game that weekend. It was determined that they needed to come save the women from us lowly nerds.
The list of suck over the weekend included:

The Tighty Whitey Crew : These wonderful individuals were a group of 5 or 6 who ran around in nothing but briefs. They would surround a woman, grind on her and run off. Status: Never caught

Check THIS baby out!: During the Saturday parade (which brings in thousands of Atlanta locals to watch) one genius decided that he was going to expose himself and walk through the crowd with his tool hanging out. Status: Arrested and hauled off

Fire! : Someone set an elevator shaft on fire. I shit you not. Culprit unknown.

This room needs better ventilation!: A large boardroom table was thrown through a picture window in one of the meeting rooms to the street below. Culprit unknown.

Fight, fight baby: As of Friday night I heard from security (Always make friends with secops. They have the best stories) They had already made as many calls to the police as they do over the entire weekend. One day in. One of the bars had to be closed while the staff cleaned up the blood from the brawlers. Status: Lots of arrests and the weekend spent in jail.

Hey baby, nice ARGGHH: The "can I get a picture" and then molesting the costumed woman and running off backfired. Apparently she had a decade of Air Force MP duty under her belt. Status: Possible broken nose. Blood all over the floor where she put him 2.3 seconds after he licked her cleavage

And many more. But you see the theme. Aside from the Tighty Whitey crew nearly all of the culprits were wearing gear from the 2 teams playing that weekend, some of which were assumed to be staying at the hotels.

Aftermath:
This is where the good comes in. Con management got together with the hotels, and it is now in the convention charter that from Friday afternoon to 2 AM Sunday night/Monday morning the only way to enter a host hotel is with a convention badge or a keycard. Somehow the lads got quite a bit less enthusiastic about mayhem when they were no longer able to melt back into the tsunami of douche.

No fratching, please!

Jay 2K Winger
02-18-2014, 01:59 AM
Sigh. Sometimes the fratjockbros just can't wrap their heads around the notion that some women prefer geeks to them.

Don't forget, "Bro," that we geeks are the ones who invented your "kick-ass TV" all the other technology you like to take advantage of.

Geeks rule the world. Never forget that.

Argabarga
02-18-2014, 02:40 AM
This is why

I

HATE

BROS

AnaKhouri
02-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I haven't been to Dragoncon in 6 years or so...it was simply too crowded for me to have fun anymore.

Sounds like I haven't missed much. ;)

FenigDurak
02-18-2014, 03:36 PM
I was there that year (just about every year since ' 02) and was relieved when they enacted the entry restrictions the next year. I always stay at the Marriott and have been pleased to watch as the wrinkles get ironed out a little more every year.
The year you're talking about though, wasn't that the same year some of those bros and their crew were passing the con rate room codes around?

As an aside: my first D*Con cost me $40 for the badge, $75 for my quarter of the room and $50 for food. I miss being 20 and surviving on pop tarts and tea all weekend.

Redbeard
02-18-2014, 06:47 PM
I was there that year (just about every year since ' 02) and was relieved when they enacted the entry restrictions the next year. I always stay at the Marriott and have been pleased to watch as the wrinkles get ironed out a little more every year.
The year you're talking about though, wasn't that the same year some of those bros and their crew were passing the con rate room codes around?

As an aside: my first D*Con cost me $40 for the badge, $75 for my quarter of the room and $50 for food. I miss being 20 and surviving on pop tarts and tea all weekend.

That rumor was debunked. Maybe a dozen or so rooms went to the frats. What's causing the rooms to sell out so quickly now is that EVERYONE has decided to call the second the lines open

Seshat
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Sigh. Sometimes the fratjockbros just can't wrap their heads around the notion that some women prefer geeks to them.

Not to mention the fact that most of the women they were molesting almost certainly ARE geeks.

Despite the fact that they were collegefratbros, the women would almost certainly be able to philosophise rings around them. And then describe the exact consistency and makeup of both Saturn's rings and electron rings.

I have a mental image of a woman in a She-nan the Barbarislut costume (no offence meant - some of such costumes can be very nice and well crafted), having grabbed one of the abusers by the arm, yanked, twisted, and dropped the abuser to the floor, face-down. While yelling "SECURITY" at the top of her lungs.

Then a cluster forms, of the hulkiest of the nerd-males. None of whom interferes, but all of whom make it very clear to the fratbros that ONLY hotel security or police will be permitted to deal with the situation.

(Side note: one of the best things about nerd/geek males: the default assumption about a woman is that she is competant. This isn't necessarily the case among nerd/geek teen males, but they quickly get it taught to them. By their adult peers. And I love you for it.)

Jay 2K Winger
02-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Not to mention the fact that most of the women they were molesting almost certainly ARE geeks.

Oh, I'm well aware of that.

Fratjockbros, on the other hand, are incapable of wrapping their monolithic skulls around the idea that a woman can be a geek as well.

thatcrazyredhead
02-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Fratjockbros, on the other hand, are incapable of wrapping their monolithic skulls around the idea that a woman can be a geek as well.

Or the fact that most women just don't want to be assaulted.

MoonCat
02-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Can someone please tell me how the hell an elevator shaft can be set on fire??

I mean, WTF...??

Argabarga
02-19-2014, 01:41 AM

I mean, WTF...??

IN CASE OF FIRE DO NOT USE ELEVATOR, USE STAIRS :angel:

Jay 2K Winger
02-19-2014, 01:51 AM

I mean, WTF...??

The same way anything else can be set on fire.

Flammable material + match or lighter + optional accelerant = FIRE!!!

A good fire in an elevator shaft is dangerous, because it can heat up the air in the shaft, and then the rest of the building can catch pretty quick.

otakuneko
02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Hmmm.

I think I want to go to this... Dragoncon... I must investigate this.

Crossbow
02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm glad they're taking care of the problem as much as they can, but you'll still never catch me at DragonCon. Far too many people.

XCashier
02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Or the fact that women are fellow human beings with the ability to think for themselves, plus the same rights they have. :rolleyes:

Jay 2K Winger
02-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Or the fact that women are fellow human beings with the ability to think for themselves, plus the same rights they have. :rolleyes:

These are both implied in my description of fratjockbros' beliefs re: women.

Redbeard
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Almost forgot one of the best parts.

I sent a detailed letter to the Dean of one of the colleges explaining what had happened and how their school was being portrayed by these little jackholes.
The response was basically "that could have been anyone wearing our hats and shirts, I feel that it would be counter productive to talk to the students about behaving themselves while at events in other cities"

So, in a nutshell, it's okay for their students to run wild as long as they don't get caught

Seshat
02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
The same way anything else can be set on fire.

Flammable material + match or lighter + optional accelerant = FIRE!!!

A good fire in an elevator shaft is dangerous, because it can heat up the air in the shaft, and then the rest of the building can catch pretty quick.

The mechanisms that run an elevator need to be oiled/greased. Yes, the cables themselves are likely to be steel or some other hard-to-burn material; but there's still plenty that's flammable.

And if the elevator is old, there's probably assorted stuff mixed in with the grease. There's nowhere in the world that avoids getting dust, hair, and other assorted mixed gunk. And it mixes with the grease, and makes things more flammable.

Plus, whatever's accumulated at the bottom of the elevator.

I would expect it to require a certain amount of accelerant to start an elevator shaft fire; but once this gunk has taken fire, it'll heat up the shaft and ... well. Columns of flame are nasty.

Plague*Star
02-20-2014, 01:50 AM

I mean, WTF...??

There's a "Fire" keyswitch in most elevators. You just set it to "on".

P*S

dalesys
02-20-2014, 02:06 AM
There's a "Fire" keyswitch in most elevators. You just set it to "on".
I thought that was for launching the elevator car to the moon, a la Jules Verne.:p

thatcrazyredhead
02-20-2014, 03:43 AM
I thought that was for launching the elevator car to the moon, a la Jules Verne.:p

Wonkavator!! :)

thatcrazyredhead
02-20-2014, 03:46 AM
"that could have been anyone wearing our hats and shirts..."

Riiiiiight, because when I was in college, my friends and I used to run around in shirts and hats from other schools all the time. :rolleyes:

wolfie
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Please tell me:

- College that sourced these frat boys had an event that involved booking space at that hotel.
- Hotel management got pissed off at frat boy antics, and canceled the college's reservations (i.e. institution caused a problem, institution goes on DNR list).
- Every other facility in town was already booked solid.

BearLeeBadenaugh
02-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Not all frat boys are bad, but I do swear they have negative hive intelligence sometimes. The larger the group of em there are, the less cumulative intelligence there seems to be. Lowest common denominator and all that jazz, lol.

Back in college, my fraternity was the only one allowed at quite a few places(banquet halls and the like) because apparently we were the only one out of five frats that knew how to behave in public.

Kinda funny when another frat gets pissed because they're having their formal the same night as us and we're "taking all the good dates" because we're at the country club and they're at the run down bowling alley. Nevermind that we planned our events months in advance. We had our dinner menu planned before they even had a date set.

Geek King
02-20-2014, 06:28 PM
The larger the group of em there are, the less cumulative intelligence there seems to be. Lowest common denominator and all that jazz, lol.

That's actually the rule of thumb when dealing with a group acting together. "The mob's collective intelligence is only as high as it's dumbest member"

Redbeard
02-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Please tell me:

- College that sourced these frat boys had an event that involved booking space at that hotel.
- Hotel management got pissed off at frat boy antics, and canceled the college's reservations (i.e. institution caused a problem, institution goes on DNR list).
- Every other facility in town was already booked solid.

Unfortunate is was for the "Eat Mor Chiken" bowl. It brings in too much business for the hotels to shut them out.
To be honest, most of those staying in the main hotels are alumni, pretty chill people who just want to enjoy the game. Some of them even end up enjoying OUR show so much they buy passes for the con

Kittykat
02-20-2014, 11:01 PM
The Tighty Whitey Crew : These wonderful individuals were a group of 5 or 6 who ran around in nothing but briefs. They would surround a woman, grind on her and run off. Status: Never caught

I would have SO kicked someone! In the butt, not the other end don't need to go to jail for permanent damage or something lol.

mathnerd
02-21-2014, 03:33 AM
I would have SO kicked someone! In the butt, not the other end don't need to go to jail for permanent damage or something lol.

Sometimes you can cause permanent damage in the other end and NOT go to jail. Trust me. I know from personal experience. But that is a story for another time.

Gimli
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Personally, I've had more problems from the geeks who are geeks because it's cool to be a geek right now than I have from the frat boys. And that's just been in the last 3 or so years. Although, I did have a very funny moment the last day of con two years ago when members of a certain religious organization not known for tolerance were arriving for their convention right after DragonCon. There was pearl clutching galore at several of the more revealing costumes as well as the ones that appeared demomic to the uninformed. I've seldom laughed that hard.

Chromatix
02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
ISTR:

Elevator doors open to reveal a man in full devil costume inside, and a little old Baptist lady outside.

"Going down?" :devil:

Silent-Hunter
02-22-2014, 10:22 PM

I mean, WTF...??

Gasoline/Petrol, Kerosine, alcohol, exothermic reaction of some sort, etc.

Tons of ways, really.

Silent-Hunter
02-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Con management got together with the hotels, and it is now in the convention charter that from Friday afternoon to 2 AM Sunday night/Monday morning the only way to enter a host hotel is with a convention badge or a keycard.

Wow, I would NEVER have expected a hotel to agree to that! I mean, would that mean they'd refuse to allow anyone not attending the con to stay at that hotel?

Note, I may be missing something here.

BearLeeBadenaugh
02-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Silent, basically the Con is big enough that they take over the ENTIRE center for the weekend. Rooms are usually booked months in advance, and sold out sometimes as early as 3 months before. IIRC, last years attendance was something in excess of 50k.

ComputerNecromancer
02-23-2014, 04:56 AM
ISTR:

Elevator doors open to reveal a man in full devil costume inside, and a little old Baptist lady outside.

OryCon 1. First day of the con was the last day of a Baptist event.

We're filking away in one of the function rooms Friday evening and some of the Baptists wander by. You can see the smiles on their faces as the recognize the tune. "Old Time Religion".

Then comes the shock/horror as they get close enough to hear the *words*. The fannish version is not for the faint hearted...

Gizmo
02-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Wow, I would NEVER have expected a hotel to agree to that! I mean, would that mean they'd refuse to allow anyone not attending the con to stay at that hotel?

With Cons like that they tend to block out the reservations with a code known to the convention goers only. They know they will see enough bookings to be full no matter what. Friends trying to get rooms for Dragon Con have known to have been unable to an HOUR after the booking open.

Another convention group in the UK deal with the bookings themselves and just give the hotel a list of room bookings so they can input them a couple of weeks before the event itself. Basically the hotel closes all booking from any other source for that week.

Seshat
02-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Then comes the shock/horror as they get close enough to hear the *words*. The fannish version is not for the faint hearted...

I didn't know there was anything other than the fannish version.

It was good enough for Isis
She'll be with you in a crisis
And she'll never raise her prices
So it's good enough for me.

greek_jester
02-23-2014, 08:37 PM

Ah, memories. My very first con, still a just-about-legal teenager, and I was standing at a lift bank when everything suddenly went rather dark. I turned around, all 4' 10.5" of me, to discover myself surrounded by half a dozen 6' plus, very broad Klingons in full gear, bat'leth's included. I'm not quite sure how sickly my smile was when I gave them a little wave and hello, but bless them, they took me under their wing and introduced me around to the con circuit regulars. Thanks to them I always got a free pint of Green Komodo Dragon* every con, and I ended up good enough friends with the resident drag queen/dominatrix that he gave me some tights one night when my last pair laddered. Those were the days...

* Green Komodo Dragon

In a bottle mix up the following:

2 shots of Southern Comfort
2 shots of Bacardi
2 shots of Tia Maria
2 shots of Vodka
2 shots of Blue Bols
2 shots of Malibu

Pour as much as you dare in a pint glass (start off with one to be safe) then fill up with orange juice. It tastes remarkably like alcoholic Opal Fruits Starbursts

AnaKhouri
02-23-2014, 08:50 PM
At one of the Dragoncons I attended back in the day (this would have been the late 90's/early 00') they had booked the con and a Salvation Army convention at the same time. Which led to some funny sights like a couple old ladies in their spiffy SA uniforms having photos taken with con attendees dressed as Darth Vader and storm troopers, giggling at the kick their grandchildren would get out of the picture.

Of course this was long ago, before the con had swollen to its current enormous size.

Gizmo
02-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks to them I always got a free pint of Green Komodo Dragon* every con, and I ended up good enough friends with the resident drag queen/dominatrix that he gave me some tights one night when my last pair laddered. Those were the days...

* Green Komodo Dragon

In a bottle mix up the following:

OK... now I'm wondering who you are.... Because mentioning THAT drink and that description of the taste I have probably met you! (and the 'correct' measure is about half of the pint is the mixture above and half is orange juice btw. ;) I actually mix up tons at a time and just do equal measures of all six ingredients in the bottle.) Another way to drink it is with berry juice and make a blood dragon - a lot smoother!. Or recently I have been involved with the idea of using it as a syrup to put into coffee in small amounts. ;)

I am currently the Dragon queen. I think I do drink - or at least mix! - more than the original 'creators' these days! (for anyone interested the current 'lore' on its creation is a group of friends couldn't get a mate drunk on his birthday so not long before last call they pooled their money, went to the bar and just pointed at random spirits.... oh, two of that one, two of that, GOT to have that..its blue.... and so on... ummm... and add orange juice to it? The bar person made it largely out of amusement since the lore is its actually too much alcohol in one glass to make legally and we haven't been able to since!)

And yes, the resident drag queen/dominatrix IS still around. I do see him time to time sporting that lovely beard. The ones who dress as Klingons are normally way nice and lovely. :) Sci Fi Convention community in the UK can be so nice!

Mytical
02-23-2014, 11:11 PM
IN CASE OF FIRE DO NOT USE ELEVATOR, USE STAIRS :angel:

For some of 'humanity' the sign should read IN CASE OF FIRE, PLEASE PLEASE USE THE ELEVATOR, NOT THE STAIRS. :devil:

Jay 2K Winger
02-23-2014, 11:35 PM
For some of 'humanity' the sign should read IN CASE OF FIRE, PLEASE PLEASE USE THE ELEVATOR, NOT THE STAIRS. :devil:

Mytical, please, think about what you're saying!!

We all know they don't read signs.

Argus
02-23-2014, 11:37 PM

"... or a keycard." In other words, anyone with a room key can still enter the hotel. Some of the hotels downtown here have signs about keycard-only entry after a certain time of night, although they apparently don't apply that policy during certain conventions.

It's me
02-24-2014, 03:43 AM
Almost forgot one of the best parts.

I sent a detailed letter to the Dean of one of the colleges explaining what had happened and how their school was being portrayed by these little jackholes.
The response was basically "that could have been anyone wearing our hats and shirts, I feel that it would be counter productive to talk to the students about behaving themselves while at events in other cities"

So, in a nutshell, it's okay for their students to run wild as long as they don't get caught

Hmm... They pretty much had to reply that way. Anything else could be construed as them having some sort of responsibility, which they won't risk in case they get sued....

sms001
02-24-2014, 03:45 PM
costumes ...that appeared demomic to the uninformed.

And it's certainly not too hard to find outfits that are, actually, demonic. :devil:

Wow CS, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't gone through all five pages. A thread about geeks and nerds with a question about elevator fires, and no mention of Experimental Rocket Fuel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Az4Nxt401A)?

greek_jester
02-24-2014, 05:28 PM
OK... now I'm wondering who you are....

*snip*

And yes, the resident drag queen/dominatrix IS still around. I do see him time to time sporting that lovely beard. The ones who dress as Klingons are normally way nice and lovely. :) Sci Fi Convention community in the UK can be so nice!

Good to know K's still going strong. Is he still in the TOS nurse's uniform, or has he upgraded? Did he ever talk you into getting tied up? Pro-tip; make sure you keep your shoes on if your friends are the type to wander up and randomly tickle your feet!

I haven't been to a con since the late '90s (an independent sci-fi con in Blackpool) but I do miss them. I kind of gave up when they started getting bigger and bigger; the original appeal was that many of the stars would end up in the bar where you could have a nice chat, since UK con-etiquette stated that you didn't hassle them for autographs outside of the queues. I had a great chat with Peter Cushing once, about how he preferred UK cons as he didn't have to leave his room surrounded by con security.

Another fun aspect (to bring this comment back on topic) was that the locals tended to happily cheer you on and ask for photos (genuinely) rather than mock you.

Bardmaiden
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
I remember that DragonCon, a few things at that one got some much needed things put in.

My first year we were getting ready to leave as a hurricane was coming up (this was 2003 I think..and we had to drive up to Newark where we were going to catch our flight home) and the Baptists were coming in on the Monday. The best one we saw was a Devil walk past a few of the ladies nod his head at them politely and just said "Ladies" and walked off their faces were a picture :devil:

Ironclad Alibi
02-27-2014, 02:58 PM
I didn't know there was anything other than the fannish version.

The original version of Old Time Religion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQvQlzoZWAc). It dates from about 1873 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old-Time_Religion).

Pete Seeger version. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBtSFhbxBTg) And over 1000 more verses (http://www.whitetreeaz.com/vintage/realotr.htm).

Kagato
03-03-2014, 08:33 PM
ISTR:

Someone has been listening to my ol' buddy Spike's "What Happens at the Con, Stays at the Con" anecdotes from the sounds of it >_>

Redbeard
03-04-2014, 12:48 AM
That was my first DC!
There were some CONFUSED Baptists that weekend.
Hell, Those Who Shall Not be Named have threatened to come and protest the con, but after the way they got spanked by SDCC a few years back, thought better of it

dalesys
03-04-2014, 01:10 AM
That was my first DC!
There were some CONFUSED Baptists that weekend.
Hell, Those Who Shall Not be Named have threatened to come and protest the con, but after the way they got spanked by SDCC a few years back, thought better of it
Was that spanked or s'punked?:angel:

Jay 2K Winger
03-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Was that spanked or s'punked?:angel:

Heh heh heh.

Yes.