PDA

View Full Version : The Lego store is not your babysitter

JambaBamba
03-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Last night at the mall we were in the Lego store. See a kid playing by the bins and there are some random adults around so I didn't realize that the parent wasn't there until I heard this exchange:

LW = Lego Worker
K = Kid (looked maybe 6 or 7)

LW: Do you know where your mom is?
K: Yes.
LW: ...What store is she in? Do you know the name of it?
K: Yes.
LW: What's the name?
K: Oh the name? Well...you know the store....
LW (patiently): yeah....
K: The one with the clothes in it? With the colors? That's where she is.
LW: :rolleyes:

When checking out the LW told me the kid had been there for almost an hour :eek: and needed to go to the bathroom but that LW can't take him. I asked if it was common for kids to get dropped off at the store and he said it happened all the time. I told him he should have his manager get the mall police and report an abandoned child.

LillFilly
03-19-2014, 10:56 PM
We did that at my mall, after we'd made several mall-wide announcements for the parents. Sadly though, some of the kids were too young to even know their parents' names or phone numbers! :eek: It was great watching the parents get a dressing-down from the store and the police in front of all the other customers!

Legacy_of_Torment
03-23-2014, 10:52 AM
We often have parents that do that where I work. They look at you appalled when you turn down their asking if you can keep an eye on their child while they go off and shop in peace. No, your child, your responsibility. The police should be called in each instance

otakuneko
03-23-2014, 01:46 PM
I used to get dropped off at various places... but not when I was that young. :rolleyes:

winner every time
03-24-2014, 01:55 AM
Ooh, I hated that in games. SCs did it all the time at the duck pond... dump their kids and run off to ride rides. They never asked either...

cleorose
03-24-2014, 02:50 AM
I bet these are the same people who sue when their kids get hurt or kidnapped because they didn't realize that dropping them off at some place with other kids doesnt mean free daycare.

I have 3 kids. If i did this I would be dead. Hubby or Mom in law would murder me and bury me in the backyard.

Seshat
03-24-2014, 05:32 AM
When I was a toddler, there was a casual childcare place at the shopping centre Mum most often used.
She actually made arrangements (in advance) with them to drop me there when she went into labour with my brother. So she would drop me off there whenever she was shopping, so I would both be out of her hair, and would be with familiar people when baby bro decided to come.

Anyway: it'd be nice if there were more casual childcare places in shopping centres. Though sucky customers would probably whine about having to pay! :rolleyes:

An Haddock
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
The Gord had this happen in his video game store (may it rest in peace)

Woman dumped her two kids there but he was in the middle of a phone call and couldn't stop her in time.

"Kids, where does your mom work?"
*gets phone number*
"Hi, this is Gord from Gamer's Edge. I just wanted to let you know that I'll be spending the next 20 minutes ordering games from my distributors."
"So what?"
"So if you're not down here to pick up your kids by the time I'm done the next call I make is to child protective services (or the Canadian equivalent thereof)"

So mother-of-the-year rushes back to get her kids, complaining about Gord's lack of service the whole time and that she'll never be back.

"That was entirely my point. Door's to your left."

(paraphrased)

aha! found the original story:

http://www.actsofgord.com/Chronicles/chapter27.php

siskaren
03-24-2014, 02:24 PM
She was actually going to leave them there the entire time she was at work? :eek: What was she expecting them to do for lunch, ask Gord to buy them something? :rolleyes:

An Haddock
03-24-2014, 02:57 PM
She was actually going to leave them there the entire time she was at work? :eek: What was she expecting them to do for lunch, ask Gord to buy them something? :rolleyes:

Like I said... mother-of-the-year material.

The Hurting
03-26-2014, 05:13 PM
I had a mother try to use me as a babysitter while she went to the back to use our bathrooms. I still can't believe how she was completely willing to leave her child with a stranger (that she knew for all of a minute at that point) such as myself.

Last year, there was another mom who left her toddler son outside the (now by the service desk) bathrooms. The whole time, the boy kept asking me where "mommy" was. :doh:

ETA: I found a solution!

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Hide_63b994_1770400.jpg

crazylegs
03-26-2014, 05:38 PM
My girlfriend uses bookstores as a place to leave me while she goes shopping. I have no concept of time passing when in a bookstore.

That said I am 30 years old so I don't need much looking after ;)

Zellie Crescent
03-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Sometimes parents dump their kids in front of my lobster tank, if they walk away after I tell them they can't leave the kids there I call the manager.

Sheldonrs
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
...That said I am 30 years old so I don't need much looking after ;)

I often bring abandoned 30 year old men home. ;-)

crazylegs
03-26-2014, 06:39 PM
I often bring abandoned 30 year old men home. ;-)

I do take up quite a bit of space... ;)

Sheldonrs
03-26-2014, 08:58 PM
I do take up quite a bit of space... ;)

I'm sure I can fit you in. hehehe

Ironclad Alibi
03-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Mrs. IA never leaves me alone at the Lego Store. She knows I will probably bring half the store home with me.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-27-2014, 12:51 AM
Meh. At least the kids are there to play with and look at Legos, not to clog up the entire store with 20 of their closest friends, or steal, or open up the makeup so we have to throw it out, or just be general pains in the ass with no fear or respect for authority.

I go through this about once a month. >_<

Mr Hero
03-27-2014, 03:52 AM
Last year, there was another mom who left her toddler son outside the (now by the service desk) bathrooms. The whole time, the boy kept asking me where "mommy" was. :doh:

Did the kid ask, "Are you my mummy?"

The Hurting
03-27-2014, 04:01 AM
Did the kid ask, "Are you my mummy?"

:lol:

Unfortunately, he didn't. BTW, are you a fellow Whovian as well?

cleorose
03-27-2014, 04:10 AM
I don't see why the first reaction isn't to call the cops. All it takes is something to happen to that kid and bam the store is getting sued. If I had store and parents did that I would call cops first every time. NO bsing. How many times do we hear about kids getting grabbed in bathrooms, molested in a store, etc. My boys are 11 and 9 and their younger brother is 2. I kid you not. They are NEVER without a parent. I stand outside the mens room and wait for them to come out.

They wander off they get an earful.

KatherineB
03-27-2014, 06:09 AM
I don't see why the first reaction isn't to call the cops. All it takes is something to happen to that kid and bam the store is getting sued. If I had store and parents did that I would call cops first every time. NO bsing. How many times do we hear about kids getting grabbed in bathrooms, molested in a store, etc. My boys are 11 and 9 and their younger brother is 2. I kid you not. They are NEVER without a parent. I stand outside the mens room and wait for them to come out.

They wander off they get an earful.

Agreed! I'm always astonished at the shops that give people warnings. Will these idiots give warnings before they sue? Of course not! Don't call them back, don't give them a chance to abuse you, just call the police immediately!

fireheart
03-27-2014, 11:59 AM
When I was a toddler, there was a casual childcare place at the shopping centre Mum most often used.
She actually made arrangements (in advance) with them to drop me there when she went into labour with my brother. So she would drop me off there whenever she was shopping, so I would both be out of her hair, and would be with familiar people when baby bro decided to come.

IKEA has a casual childcare place where you can drop kidlets off while you do your shopping. (Although they encourage kids to come along as well and have places in the restaurant for kidlets to eat)

There's a well-known furniture store in Adelaide that also has a childcare place. Mum dropped me off there once while she and dad were shopping for some furniture. It was AWESOME. They had a ballpit. When mum came along to pick me up, I freaked out and didn't want to go! :lol:

dalesys
03-27-2014, 12:04 PM
... They had a ballpit. When mum came along to pick me up, I freaked out and didn't want to go! :lol:
Last week, right?:wave:

fireheart
03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Last week, right?:wave:

Oh har.

Oh har har.

No.

KatherineB
03-31-2014, 03:56 AM
Oh har.

Oh har har.

No.

Yesterday.

fireheart
04-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Yesterday.

I work with kids....while I'm still a kid at heart sometimes, I am capable of walking through the IKEA store :lol:

dalesys
04-02-2014, 02:46 AM
... I am capable of walking through the IKEA store :lol:
Thoroughly exercising all the display models...:p

Sapphire Silk
04-03-2014, 02:26 AM
I'm sure I can fit you in. hehehe

Braggart :rolleyes:

Agreed! I'm always astonished at the shops that give people warnings. Will these idiots give warnings before they sue? Of course not! Don't call them back, don't give them a chance to abuse you, just call the police immediately!

Actually, I think it's better to call the parents or give a warning first. I'm sure this happens frequently enough that if the police start getting too many calls as the first solution to the problem, they will get annoyed and stop responding quickly. They're much better if you've at least tried to solve the problem peaceably yourself.

Mytical
04-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Warning : All Children Left Unattended will be given copious amounts of sugar and a free kitten.

crazylegs
04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Actually, I think it's better to call the parents or give a warning first. I'm sure this happens frequently enough that if the police start getting too many calls as the first solution to the problem, they will get annoyed and stop responding quickly. They're much better if you've at least tried to solve the problem peaceably yourself.

Ex police chiming in here.

Abandoned children are an emergency - if the parents aren't around (i.e. little Johnny hasn't just wandered into the toy section by accident) then the police need to be called.

Admittedly there's always reason to put out a couple of tannoy announcements, but if after 5 minutes or so there's no response then the police need to be involved as not only are the children at risk, potentially the parents are too.

Crossbow
04-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Warning : All Children Left Unattended will be given copious amounts of sugar and a free kitten.

"Double Shot of espresso and a puppy. THEN returned."

Sapphire Silk
04-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Ex police chiming in here.

Abandoned children are an emergency - if the parents aren't around (i.e. little Johnny hasn't just wandered into the toy section by accident) then the police need to be called.

Admittedly there's always reason to put out a couple of tannoy announcements, but if after 5 minutes or so there's no response then the police need to be involved as not only are the children at risk, potentially the parents are too.

:doh: On second reading, I don't know what the hell I was originally thinking.

crazylegs
04-03-2014, 09:41 PM
:doh: On second reading, I don't know what the hell I was originally thinking.

No worries, we all have brain farts from time to time :)

dalesys
04-03-2014, 10:33 PM
No worries, we all have brain farts from time to time :)
Well then, I now know why the only thing my brain eats is beans.;)

KellyHabersham
04-04-2014, 04:16 PM
"Double Shot of espresso and a puppy. THEN returned."

There's also "Unattended children will be fed to the bears" - from a sign in one of the gift shops at a wildlife park/sanctuary in northern Arizona.

Aethian
04-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I think I said this story once before...but I don't remember if I posted it...

Scene... Mom and I at the 2007 Ionia Free Fair in Ionia MI.

First call over the loudspeeker: Attention, if your name is *name* and you misplaced a kid named *name* please meet in the Band Stand Office.

Second call over the loudspeeker: Attention, if your name is *name* and you have been lost by *name* please come to the Band Stand Office to be claimed.

Third call over the loudspeeker: Attention, *name* your child *name* is prepared to call Mommy's cell. Please come to the Band Stand Office.

Fourth call over the loudspeeker: Attention, *name* your Wife has been called by *name*. Please come to the Band Stand Office.

Fifth call over the loudspeeker: Attention, *name* your wife *name* is here with your son *name*. Please report to the State Police Station in the Band Stand Office, she's parked behind your car and wants a word with you.

Total time of all pages? About 50 minuets...guy was found drunk off his rear in the beer tent.

cleorose
04-04-2014, 07:09 PM
When I worked at Disney (This would be 2006, summer and the winter), we had ALOT of parents that would leave little junior or ms junior at the pool at the hotel. I am talking about leaving a 5 year old at a pool that goes up to 9 feet deep in some places. Not just some chinzy wading pool. And while certain rooms CAN see the pool from the balcony outside their room, most cannot. 10 buildings to a hotel. Usually only 1 and 2 can see the pool. The other 8 cannot. And 9 and 10 are usually a good walk. How do we know the three kids had no parents watching them? 630 AM. Yes you read that right 630 AM in the morning. I worked graveyard and we didn't get off til 8 am. The lifeguards did not come on duty til 9am.

Kids had NO idea what room they were in. Their parents told them to just wait there til they got back. We called Disney PD right off the bat. They took their sweet time. About 20 minutes to get to the hotel. And then shortly thereafter called the police. The police do not have stations on disney property so thats another 10-15 minutes at least. In the time it took the cops to get there, and get the reports from everyone. And load the kids in the car, the parents SHOWED UP bitching they had only gone to the bathroom. And it couldn't have been more than 5 minutes.

They complained and got a bunch of comped stuff. I think it ended up being like 150 dollars worth of stuff from the hotel gift shop for the inconvience of us not watching their kids or whatever.

I joked with a coworker that since I had luggage later, I was gonna hope they were out so I could accidentally run them over with those little mini vans. (Think smart car size vans).

Lace Neil Singer
04-04-2014, 11:19 PM
When I worked at the pet store, I was forever having that problem. I had a nice big sign up stating "This is a pet store, not a creche" which didn't do a thing as SCs don't read signs, but it did mean that after what transpired as a result of their stupidity, they couldn't then whine, "But... there's no sign!" This is what happened every time some idiot parent left their kid in the pet store while they went round the garden centre.

1. I call my supervisor on my walkie talkie.
2. Supervisor (female, btw) shows up, takes child(ren) to manager's office. Waits there with them.
3. I wait til parents show up. Wait a bit more so that they can panic when they realise that their child(ren) are not where they left them.
4. I approach negligent parents. I tell them that their kids are safe and being looked after by the supervisor. I call supervisor.
5. Supervisor shows up with kids, gives negligent parents an earbashing of epicness and tells them that if it happens again, we will call the police.

We never once had to call the police. XD

boringscreenname
04-06-2014, 06:08 AM
We recently went to Ikea. We stopped at the restaurant inside to eat first before we started shopping. They have a little kids' area with toys, and a tv. We let our kids play after they were done eating and we had a table that was really close to the area.

Apparently someone decided to dump their three kids off there instead of at the childcare center. There was a girl who looked to be 8-12 and two little boys. The boys were screaming and yelling, fighting, hitting, stealing and throwing toys and being holy terrors. I walked around the restaurant to look for the kids' parents and couldn't find them, so we made our kids come back to the table, then left to do our shopping. All the other parents made their kids leave the area too. When we passed by the area on our way downstairs the kids were still there acting like terrors.