PDA

View Full Version : Family drama at the bus stop

fireheart
03-20-2014, 03:37 AM
So you're a bogan and there's some family drama going on. Do you:

a) decide to have said family drama at home, out of sight of the public?
b) have it in public but keep it quiet.
c) have a full-blown argument in public, mostly consisting of the mother screaming full-bore at her daughter/son/relative about how she's disrespecting her and how she didn't "give her away?"

Well if you picked C, congratulations, you were the family that I witnessed at the bus stop. I moved well out of the way of said drama to avoid being labelled something (the mother had been hurling abuse at anyone within her path, making racist comments at one guy and labelling another girl a "slut") and just stood there watching. Part of me wished that I had called the police, since the mother was clearly making a scene and needed to move on before being hit with a disturbance of the peace order.

Luckily they didn't get on my bus! (Much to the relief of several passengers)

taxguykarl
03-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Way to keep it classy:rolleyes:

prjkt
03-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Ahh bogans... Is there any low they won't stoop to?

MoonCat
03-21-2014, 01:22 AM
OK, I'll ask....What's a bogan? :confused:

ADeMartino
03-21-2014, 01:36 AM

An unsophisticated boorish individual. A person who has no problem with making a complete ass of themselves in public.

See also 'trailer trash' or 'hillbilly'. I was tempted to put 'redneck' in there, too, but most of the rednecks I know have at least SOME self-respect.

fireheart
03-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Aussie version of trailer trash or hillbilly. Unlike most trailer trash/hillbillies however, these women were not scantily dressed. Just lacking the common sense to keep their family disputes private (although it was more the mother screaming at the daughter...daughter looked more like she was over 18)

Chromatix
03-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Basically the Scottish version of "chav". Might even be a term specific to Strathclyde.

taxguykarl
03-21-2014, 05:10 PM
See also.... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan)

blas
03-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Round here we call em rachets ;)

wolfie
03-22-2014, 04:24 AM
Here on the tropical isle of Newfoundland, or (more specifically) in St. John's we refer to a person like that as a skeet.

Does anyone in Newfoundland wind up mistaking them for the other kind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting) of skeet?:devil:

Round here we call em rachets ;)

What's the origin of that term?

dalesys
03-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Does anyone in Newfoundland wind up mistaking them for the other kind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting) of skeet?:devil:
Pull the other one.

Seshat
03-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Basically the Scottish version of "chav". Might even be a term specific to Strathclyde.

Fireheart's Australian. 'Bogan' is in use down under.

Evannah
03-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Thing is, WHY do these people have to get everyone else involved? I was sitting at the bus-stop a few years ago, and this couple was arguing. Out of nowhere, the guy started laying into me and I had done nothing. All I was doing was sitting there, trying to mind my own business. The woman he was with defended me and said "This has got nothing to do with her. If you wanna shout at someone, shout at me!" So he gave me one last filthy look and then started hurling more abuse at the woman he was with.

Luckily, the bus came, and I got on. But when I was sat on the bus (it was stationary at the time), the man stared at me and would just not stop. I still have no idea what the heck I'd done wrong, but there you go.

dalesys
03-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Fireheart's Australian. 'Bogan' is in use down under.
For Chromatix (Helsinki), almost *everywhere* is "Down Under.:p

Legacy_of_Torment
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
They'll literally cause a scene everywhere, won't they? But why, oh why does it have to be near us? D:

protege
03-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Thing is, WHY do these people have to get everyone else involved?

Because they enjoy the attention. Why else would Jerry Springer and Maury feature such people all the time? Granted, the rest of us get to laugh at those losers, but still.

blas
03-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Protege got it right on the nuts. That type of person is just all around drama king/queen, and the bigger the audience, the better.

You'll also notice that these people make a huge deal out of everything on Facebook and usually attempt at a huge audience of replies for everything they whine about.

fireheart
03-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Because they enjoy the attention. Why else would Jerry Springer and Maury feature such people all the time? Granted, the rest of us get to laugh at those losers, but still.

Admittedly this was more the mother causing the scene. The daughter was keeping it fairly calm and just sitting down on the nearby bench while the mother screamed her lungs out at her. the daughter would give an occasional slurred response (she SOUNDED like she'd been drinking, but no guarantees that she was) and it would just set the mother off again.

And I have to sit through 2 more weeks of travelling this particular way home...yay! Not.

MoonCat
03-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Ah, I see. Sort of a regional term for assholes.

Sounds a lot like my neighbors :D

solar
03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
aaah bogans... grew up in a suburb completely chockers with them... ( am an Australian also)

There would never be a Saturday night go by when another version of World War Bogan would not drunkenly break out