PDA

View Full Version : Parental Correction *Warning: Racist Term Used

EvilEmpryss
02-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Hubby and I were at the Mart of Wall last night. While browsing the books section, a Black teenage girl comes around the corner from toys holding a basketball under her arm. She scans the magazines and starts bouncing the basketball.

That echoing thunky-twang of a basketball on tile is headache-inducing and we both cringe. She doesn't get more than four bounces, though, before her mother comes around that corner after her.

Mom (sternly): Haven't I told you not to bounce that ball in the store?
Sucky Brat: Why not?
Mom: Because it's annoying. Don't be a nigger.

Hubby and I look at each other like :eek:. Yup, we both heard that correction.

The brat scowled but at least she stopped bouncing the ball. :D

DGoddessChardonnay
02-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Yep, pretty typical for this area at least.

Bright side is the kid stopped being a brat. Anything else I could say I'll save for a Fratching discussion later.:D

EvilEmpryss
02-24-2015, 12:27 AM
I guess it's like me telling my kids not to act like trash, but it was a surprise to hear the "n" word just tossed out like that as a reprimand. Still, if it works, I like it.

fireheart
02-24-2015, 10:57 PM
I guess it's like me telling my kids not to act like trash, but it was a surprise to hear the "n" word just tossed out like that as a reprimand. Still, if it works, I like it.

While I'm aware that the n-word has heavily negative connotations, I'm guessing in this instance, she was referring to the "gangsta" crap without mentioning the word gangster? :confused:

There's actually a song that pokes fun at the "gangsta" stuff, more specifically the white boys who try and act "gangsta". :lol:

rose_metal_nz
02-25-2015, 10:44 PM
While I'm aware that the n-word has heavily negative connotations, I'm guessing in this instance, she was referring to the "gangsta" crap without mentioning the word gangster? :confused:

There's actually a song that pokes fun at the "gangsta" stuff, more specifically the white boys who try and act "gangsta". :lol:

Not "Pretty Fly For A White Guy"? :angel:

fireheart
02-26-2015, 08:00 AM

No the song I believe is Weird Al/Bloody Fetus "I'm a Wigga" song. (I've heard 2 claims to this song)

Although there's another one called "White and Nerdy" which I believe is a parody of "Fightin Dirty"

Seanette
02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that first one isn't Weird Al. The second one is, and it's funny (can't vouch for what it's a parody of, since I'm not familiar with the original).

EricKei
02-26-2015, 12:55 PM
fh - The latter is a parody of "Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire ^_^

MoonCat
02-27-2015, 02:05 AM
They can use it. It's not as big an insult as it would be if a white person used it. Also, FYI, wigger (or wigga) is considered just as bad. I learned this the hard way when I had to deal with a situation at work, as a steward.

fireheart
02-28-2015, 05:21 AM
fh - The latter is a parody of "Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire ^_^

Oops. I don't listen to him (cha millionaire that is, not weird al) so shows what I know :angel:. I reckon the first one is bloody foetus (this is what he actually is called btw).

Although apparently with the latter case (white and nerdy), there's a joke about vandalising a certain wiki page. That page kept getting vandalised so many times after the song came out that eventually the guys editing the page had to put a "knock it off" thing up.

Seanette
02-28-2015, 06:45 PM
I thought the Wiki thing was over "You're Pitiful".

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Asked for a 13, and they drew a 31.

Argus
03-01-2015, 06:06 PM
I thought the Wiki thing was over "You're Pitiful".

It was. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records#.22You.27re_Pitiful.22_dispute) But the vandalism was depicted in the music video for "White & Nerdy".

Seanette
03-01-2015, 06:16 PM
OK, so both songs were connected. I don't feel quite so stupid. :D

Estil
03-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Since when did bouncing a ball of all things become a racial stereotype? :P

Ironclad Alibi
03-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Since when did bouncing a ball of all things become a racial stereotype? :P

I think it was more a matter of where she was doing it, not what she was doing.