PDA

View Full Version : Other Hotels don't know the meaning of sold out

HotelMinion
05-13-2015, 08:31 AM
You would think that other hotels would know that "Sold Out" means sold out. Other Hotel Worker (OHW) must've been new or something.

Me: *loudly* This is [Hotel]! At [[Location]! My name is HM! How may I help you!

(Lately, I'm trying to speak up because I'm tired of people saying "Is this Hotel at Location?" I just said it was! Geez! Anyway, back to the story...)

OHW: This is OHW at hotel down the street. You got any rooms???

Me: No, sold out.

OHW: None? How about on hold?

Me: NO, SOLD OUT.

OHW: Are you sure???

Me: *facepalm*

A few hours later...

OHW: *calls again* How about now?

Me: ARHRGH

I transform into She hulk and throw over a table. Seriously, doesn't she know sold out mean sold out?!!?!??

Web_Pict
05-13-2015, 01:49 PM
So... have you any rooms "in the back"?
(ducks and hides)

dalesys
05-13-2015, 02:08 PM
(ducks and hides)
No, but you do in yours. Invoke Craniorectus!

Mr Hero
05-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Of the many things I've learned, no matter how clearly you state something, some SC will always mishear you. I even had one caller where I answered the phone "Hotel in Denver" only to have the caller ask if I was in [Suburb]. When I said that I was, the caller if I was near streets that I hadn't even heard of. It turns out that they thought they were calling Illinois, even though I clearly stated Denver in my opening greeting.

eltf177
05-13-2015, 04:11 PM
(ducks and hides)

And if not, you can quickly build them a new room.. [runs away fast!]:rolleyes:

Ironclad Alibi
05-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Seriously, doesn't she know sold out mean sold out?!!?!??

She might have an SC standing there demanding she call around to find a room, although she knows it is hopeless.

HotelMinion
05-14-2015, 08:22 AM
*turns back to normal*

Of the many things I've learned, no matter how clearly you state something, some SC will always mishear you. I even had one caller where I answered the phone "Hotel in Denver" only to have the caller ask if I was in [Suburb]. When I said that I was, the caller if I was near streets that I hadn't even heard of. It turns out that they thought they were calling Illinois, even though I clearly stated Denver in my opening greeting.

Yeah, no matter how loudly I say it, some one won't it hear it because there's too much noise on their end. Usually they have a crying child in the background. Or cars. Or trains. Or they put me on speaker.

Speaking up helps cut back on it though.
She might have an SC standing there demanding she call around to find a room, although she knows it is hopeless.

Yeah I know how that is all too well...but...I don't repeatedly call the same hotel over and over. Sold out means leave me alone!:wave:

bhskittykatt
05-14-2015, 10:48 AM

I've literally stood there and just pretended to call hotels to get these people off my back. I'll pick up the phone and pretend to dial and make up a convo so it looks like I'm calling someone, because they won't listen when I told them that I've already called everyone within an hour radius and yes, they need to go to an hour and a half away for a room. They still insist I call. So I will pretend-call just to indulge them and make them go away.

wolfie
05-14-2015, 11:52 AM
because they won't listen when I told them that I've already called everyone within an hour radius and yes, they need to go to an hour and a half away for a room. They still insist I call. So I will pretend-call just to indulge them and make them go away.

Ever been tempted to, while making the fake call, act as if the place you're "calling" is asking whether the customer is the person you're dealing with, and when you confirm their identity the "other hotel" confirms that this person is a DNR?:devil:

Mr Hero
05-14-2015, 12:18 PM
I've been tempted to fake call, except I would call an accomplice who would be on the other line saying they're sold out.

taxguykarl
05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
And the caller in the OP is another hotel worker...don't they know better?!:eek:

greensinestro
05-25-2015, 01:13 PM
My wife's brother in law once took care of this problem as their phone number was one digit off from the local Holiday Inn, and he was sick of "hi, do you have any vacant rooms?". He actually took a reservation, right down to telling the guy "we look forward to seeing you soon!" I would have loved to have seen the commotion of this guy's arrival.

Seanette
05-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Mean thing to do to the actual hotel staff, since they now had to deal with an SC who actually had cause to be upset.

OneMoreTime
05-25-2015, 11:54 PM
What's a DNR? Do Not Register? I'm sure it doesn't stand for Do Not Resuscitate or Department of Natural Resources.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
05-26-2015, 12:30 AM
And if not, you can quickly build them a new room.. [runs away fast!]:rolleyes:

Sounds like a job for Anton Jackson. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BNgRpRuWGs)

Remember: Safety last, when you ain't got no money.

Mr Hero
05-26-2015, 12:39 PM
What's a DNR? Do Not Register? I'm sure it doesn't stand for Do Not Resuscitate or Department of Natural Resources.

In hotel context, it's Do Not Rent.

Antisocial_Worker
05-27-2015, 08:19 PM
I transform into She hulk and throw over a table. Seriously, doesn't she know sold out mean sold out?!!?!??

I live in an area where being sold out on the weekends (and for a lot of us, during the week as well) is a way of life. Thankfully, we hotel workers know what it means to be sold out, but I wish I could say the same for those morons passing through who didn't think to make a reservation before setting out.

I'm looking at you, Loyalty Program members. Especially you, Brass and Cubic Zirconium members.

A typical exchange goes like this:

Me: No, I'm sorry we don't have any rooms we're sold out.

Brass/Cubic Zirconium Member: Not even for a Brass member?

Me: No, I'm afraid we're completely full.

Then they get this look on their face as though they're lost in the woods with only the light of their cell phone to guide them to safety fifty miles away. Why would your Loyalty Program status mean the first damn thing to me? Full means full. It means that every pillow has a head on it, every toilet has a but on it. F-U-L-L. Full. Sold out. No rooms. No room for you. Keep driving.

OneMoreTime
05-28-2015, 03:17 AM
In hotel context, it's Do Not Rent.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

wolfie
05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Me: No, I'm sorry we don't have any rooms we're sold out.

Brass/Cubic Zirconium Member: Not even for a Brass member?

Me: No, I'm afraid we're completely full.

Then they get this look on their face as though they're lost in the woods with only the light of their cell phone to guide them to safety fifty miles away. Why would your Loyalty Program status mean the first damn thing to me? Full means full.

I think I know how corporate will "solve" this problem. I've heard about CZ members being able to "bump" other reservations when they go to make a reservation - it's a simple step to expand this perk to walk-ins, "bumping" a reservation that hasn't checked in yet for the same night (and is naturally going to result in a pissed-off customer who arrives and finds that their reservation has been canceled). That's not enough? An "unwritten rule" to generate some sort of complaint against a random guest in order to get them evicted (no refund, naturally), freeing up a room for the CZ member.