PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a Beer!

Jester
05-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Okay, CSers, I could use your help. I've been charged with organizing my friend's bachelor party, which, rather than strippers and drugs, will be all about rum tasting and bar hopping. As such, I've found a couple beers I want to give to him. One, which has his name in it, is being sent to me from Victory Sabre. I need your help with the other one.

It's called Elevated IPA, from La Cumbre Brewing in New Mexico, the groom's home state. (He lives here now.) I've never seen any of La Cumbre's products here, nor has Vic seen any of their stuff in his vicinity. If any of you live in an area where you can find this Elevated IPA, please let me know. I'd like to have you send me a six-pack or four-pack (however they come), and in return, I will send you some tasty Florida craft beer, or something else if you are not a beer fan. Hell, I can always just PayPal you the money for the beer and he shipping, if you prefer.

So, who here can find me part of my surprise present for the groom?

Sunshine
05-17-2015, 05:03 PM
I'll look at the local store here and let you know

lvsssycat
05-17-2015, 06:43 PM
I live in Colorado. I'll stop at the liquor store tonight and see if they have it. I would love something frosty and yummy picked out by you.:wave:

Jester
05-17-2015, 07:38 PM
We have two potential contestants!

Awesome.

Some suggestions for Florida craft beer reciprocation if either of you find the aforementioned New Mexico beer:

Cigar City Maduro.
Anything else from Cigar City.
Due South Caramel Cream Ale.
Anything else from Due South.
Something from Funky Buddha.
Something from Florida Avenue.

Feel free to research the above breweries, and other Florida breweries, and let me know what sounds good to you. If I can get it for you, I will.

Sunshine
05-17-2015, 07:50 PM
...caramel...what? Seeeeeend me some!!!!

Victory Sabre
05-17-2015, 08:16 PM

I highly recommend it. Really good beer, along with the Maduro.

Sadly, it looks like I'll be headed to Bismarck for my aunts funeral. I will check he liquor stores there, just in case.

Jester
05-17-2015, 09:09 PM

Due South Caramel Cream Ale. Utterly delicious. The first beer I ever tried by Due South Brewery, and fortunately for me, they make many other lovely, fine ales. As such, they have become one of my favorite breweries, and I rank them second only to Cigar City for Florida breweries. (Funky Buddha rounds out the top three Florida breweries, all three of which I would rate as great.)

A sixpack of this lovely beer (or something else of your choice) can be yours. All I need in return is the Elevated IPA mentioned in the original post. :D

mathnerd
05-17-2015, 09:13 PM
I will look, and if I find it I'll trade you for some Cigar City Maduro or, if they sell it in cans/bottles, some of that cafe con leche stuff I drank last time I was in Key West.

ETA: Drats. I was hoping I was close enough. The brewery has a locator feature on their website that allows you to search for places that sell their beers within however many miles you select from your house. According to that search feature, nobody within 100 miles of me sells any of their beers.

DGoddessChardonnay
05-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Jester, do you have a Total Wine location near you in Key West? They would be the most likely place to carry that.

I know the store here carries just about anything that's produced, including any specialty beer or wine item you can think of.;)

Victory Sabre
05-17-2015, 10:42 PM
I did a search, and it looks like it's only available in New Mexico. So it's up to the NM peeps.

mathnerd
05-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Jester, do you have a Total Wine location near you in Key West? They would be the most likely place to carry that.

I know the store here carries just about anything that's produced, including any specialty beer or wine item you can think of.;)

The nearest a Total Wine to Jester is on the mainland, and more than a three hour drive.

DGoddessChardonnay
05-18-2015, 12:05 AM
The nearest a Total Wine to Jester is on the mainland, and more than a three hour drive.

That sucks. :(

Only other option would be to ship some in then. I can use my connections at work to find out where I can find that here (that brand isn't one that's currently authorized for the Litter Box to carry that I know of) and let ya'll know.;)

Sunshine
05-18-2015, 04:42 AM
I'm in west Texas and have relatives in new mexico....unfortunately not anywhere near their locations. :(

Jester
05-18-2015, 06:28 AM

They'll carry anything that (A) they can, and (B) that sells. If it doesn't sell, they'd have no reason to carry it. And if the brewery doesn't distribute to certain areas, TWs in those areas won't carry it.

As has already been noted, said beer is not sold outside of New Mexico, and I am a minimum of a three hour drive from the nearest TW.

As has also been said, it seems to be up to the NM folks now.....

lvsssycat
05-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Yep it's up to the NM folks. Couldn't find it in CO. :(

Dreamstalker
05-19-2015, 03:03 AM
I just sent out an email to my dad in NM; it seems that a few grocery stores close to him have La Cumbre beer. If he can find it I'll let you know. What's the timeframe?

Jester
05-19-2015, 11:58 AM
The bachelor party and wedding are in late June. The bachelor party is when I'll be giving him the beer, so I'm thinking it needs to be here in my grubby little hands no later than June 20. (I believe in always having a time cushion.)

So basically, within a month, but the sooner, the better. :cheers:

Kaylyn
05-21-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm actually leaving for a trip tomorrow morning that will have me in NM for a few days (edit: upon looking up the brewer, I'm actually going to be IN Albuquerque for a day, so that's handy!). I will try to keep an eye out while I'm there and let you know if I find some.

Jester
05-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Sweet!

I posted an ad on Beeradvocate.com's beer trading forum a couple of days ago, but have not gotten any responses as of yet.

mjr
05-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Mr. Jester...

If you ever get a chance, try this beer:

http://martinhousebrewing.com/the-beer/pretzel-stout/

I don't know much about beers, but I tried this at the Texas State Fair, and I thought it was a really good beer.

Kaylyn
05-21-2015, 02:19 PM
If I pick some up and come back home to find you've already worked something out with someone else, do I get to discover if I like this beer or are you willing to have more than one pack of it?

Jester
05-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Mr. Jester....

Since when did I become "MISTER" Jester? Shit, if you're not dating one of my nieces, there is no need for such formality! :lol:

And if I ever get a chance to try that beer, I will.

If I pick some up and come back home to find you've already worked something out with someone else, do I get to discover if I like this beer or are you willing to have more than one pack of it?

So far, no one has come to me with information about this beer. If you pick some up and I have found someone else, I will still stay true to my word and work out a trade deal with you as well. If you have the ability to get some of it, as it stands right now, you may the be first.

So, please, feel free to get to the store and get back here to tell me you have it, and you and I can figure out the next. So far no one here has done so, and as of yet, no one has responded to my ad on beeradvocate.com.

deadbody
05-22-2015, 07:07 PM
FYI I couldn't even find your ad on beeradvocate. Looks like most of what La Cumbre makes is hoppy beer, so you want to shoot for the freshest you can.

Kaylyn
05-23-2015, 04:43 AM
I'll be in NM on the 24th through 27th. So I'll keep an eye out and also on this thread if someone else finds it first.

Dreamstalker
05-24-2015, 01:24 AM
My dad found it. It's a bit pricy as beers go for a four-pack; Jester, I'm PM'ing you the details.

Jester
05-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Not at all pricy by my standards....I will email your dad tomorrow or the next day. I'm a bit drunk at the moment, and tomorrow is my day off and an event that involves more drinking, so I won't commit to anything before Monday. :lol:

Kaylyn
05-24-2015, 03:09 PM
So I don't need to look anymore?

Jester
05-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Nothing is confirmed yet, Kaylyn.

Kaylyn
05-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Alright, we actually wound up in Tempe before turning around and heading home. We stopped in Gallup and I checked out their beer finder. We're gonna make a pit stop in Albuquerque and pick up a pack for you, or six cans if they don't have a pack.

Jester
05-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Had I only known you were in my home town, I would have asked for some of my hometown brew. :lol:

Oh well. I'll PM you my phone number and you can text me with the status of your search for this beer.

Jester
05-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Beer located and purchased. Thanks to Kaylyn for the assist, and to Dreamstalker and D's dad for the attempted assist. Dreamstalker, if your dad did purchase it, let me know and I'll reimburse him. If not,please thank him for me.

Trixie
05-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Hooray for a happy ending in the quest for beer! I really have no idea why I was so interested in this yet I was.

Jester
05-28-2015, 01:38 AM
Because every quest is an adventure, and you want to see the hero (in this case, me) acquire the item they're seeking (in this case, a New Mexican IPA). Or something like that.

Barracuda
05-28-2015, 01:38 AM
Ah. I was going to offer to send you some Full Sail IPA. One of Oregon's best sellers. And we have the best beer in the country, according to a recent survey.

Jester
05-28-2015, 01:49 AM
Full Sail IPA is great, but it has no tie-in to the groom, so while I appreciate the offer, it just wouldn't be the same thing.

If you're scratching your head and wondering what the hell I'm talking about, understand that the beer Vic is sending me has the groom's name in it, and the beer Kaylyn is sending me is from his home state. FS IPA has neither going for it.

Thanks, but it just wouldn't work. :)

Barracuda
05-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Ah, makes sense. By the way, if you want to try the #1 rated IPA in Oregon, I believe Breakside Brewery ships it. (And seriously, you should visit Portland sometime and take a beer tour. We have more breweries than anywhere else in the country.)

MoonCat
05-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Ah, makes sense. By the way, if you want to try the #1 rated IPA in Oregon, I believe Breakside Brewery ships it. (And seriously, you should visit Portland sometime and take a beer tour. We have more breweries than anywhere else in the country.)

We're going to catch you up on that. Craft breweries are breaking out like gangbusters up here. Many years ago, this town had about 100 breweries. Who know, maybe we will again!

We now have a couple of craft beer festivals every year, brewery tours, and so on. How's that old song go? "Beer, beer, beer, let's all have another beer...." :lol:

Kaylyn
05-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Glad I was able to be of service! Very lucky that you happened to be searching for this beer at the exact moment I was taking a trip through New Mexico! I found it at an Albertson's in Albuquerque.

Victory Sabre
05-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Yes, I should be able to get it out to paradise tomorrow.

Kaylyn
05-29-2015, 03:46 AM
I'll be able to ship tomorrow. Just PM or text me the details and if there's any special shipping requirements.

Victory Sabre
05-29-2015, 04:19 AM
I would say to make sure it's very well wrappec. Lots of bubble wrap is good.

Jester
05-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Vic, Kaylyn's package contains only cans, no bottles, so while a snug fit and cushioning is still important, it is not as vital as with bottles.