PDA

View Full Version : Package Confusion

catcul
06-18-2015, 01:10 PM
I called brown to schedule a pickup. After going through the phone tree, I am able to schedule a pickup through an agent. She wasn't very good at her job.

She asked me how to spell my name. I have a very common first name and a very common (though commonly misspelled) last name.

She asked me for the address of my office. I thought that it was odd that she did not ask how to spell the name of the road. It's not a common street name.

She also tried to put Winston-Salem in South Carolina. There is no Winston-Salem in South Carolina; it's in North Carolina.

The local brown dispatch called and asked where we are. It turns out that the agent spelled our street name after a famous soccer star. That wasn't even close to the street name. After clearing up that confusion, the brown driver got to his goal.

I should mention that she may have been a trainee. I hope so. I also hope she gets better at her job.

wolfie
06-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Just hope she doesn't route a package meant for Duluth GA to Duluth MN, or one for Ontario CA to Canada. First was one I read about in the trade press (company had facilities in both cities, truckload of freight went to the wrong one), second was one shipment on an LTL linehaul I took from Massachussets to Montreal - dispatcher had a shunter put the trailer back in a dock RIGHT NOW.

mathnerd
06-18-2015, 06:50 PM
I've had a couple things in my life shipped to Miami, OH instead of Miami, FL. I actually feel bad for the residents of Miami, OH, as when most people hear "Miami", they think Florida, so the opposite mistake probably happens far more frequently.

bainsidhe
06-18-2015, 10:28 PM
I hope they don't bill you to "reroute" the package. Hopefully you had already paid up front, because Brown normally charges a fee if they have to call/reschedule/verify address on a shipment. :rolleyes:

taxguykarl
06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
I have an aunt and uncle in Austin, CO. I have to check repeatedly to make sure their packages don't go to Texas's capital.

catcul
06-19-2015, 04:43 PM
I have an aunt and uncle in Austin, CO. I have to check repeatedly to make sure their packages don't go to Texas's capital.

Oh, :censored:! I better check on my trip to Austin, TX.

Good, I booked the flight going to Texas.

mathnerd
06-19-2015, 06:40 PM
I hope they don't bill you to "reroute" the package. Hopefully you had already paid up front, because Brown normally charges a fee if they have to call/reschedule/verify address on a shipment. :rolleyes:

When it's happened it's been clearly their error, so if they'd tried to charge me there would have been trouble.

taxguykarl
06-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Good, I booked the flight going to Texas.Austin, CO is a small town and doesn't have an airport....no need to worry there.:D

catcul
06-22-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm flying to Dallas, TX, not Dallas, GA, or Dallas, NC. :lol:

Jetfire
06-22-2015, 07:01 PM
There's the story of the Italian tourists that went to the wrong Sydney (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/italian-tourists-end-up-in-wrong-sydney-1.975605). Which links to an Argentinian woman who made a similar geographic mistake. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/no-kangaroos-but-can-we-interest-you-in-a-fiddle-1.708944).

Even the English have made the mistake. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/accidental-tourists-get-royal-treatment-sydney-gets-the-bbc-flush-1.312682)

It's an easy mistake to make after all. They are literally on opposite sides of the globe and one is 1% the size of the other. :)