PDA

View Full Version : Travel Fails - Not My Fault Edition

catcul
07-15-2015, 12:56 AM
I had booked a flight out of Raleigh to fly to Dallas, TX, for Monday. I booked because I needed to be in Arlington before noon CDT.

How many travel sucks can I fit in one post? Let's count.

The day before, I get a message from my friendly airline that my flight has been cancelled. I called to re-book, but the new flight would arrive an hour later. Cue message to Project Manager. Also, instead of going from Raleigh to Dallas through Dulles airport near DC, I had to go through O'Hare Airport in Chicago, IL.

I make it to the new flight on time. However, due to a thunderstorm in Raleigh, the ground crew was not allowed outside. Cue a 30 minute delay until it was safe enough to get the plane away from the gate. Add another 20 minutes to the flight time because the plane had to avoid more storms along the way to Chicago.

Thankfully, my connecting flight was delayed so we can make our connections. Unfortunately, when we were supposed to take off, we found out the crew hasn't shown up, yet. Tack on another 30. Cue another message to PM.

After we finally leave the gate, we have to wait another 30 minutes to take off.

Finally, after landing in Dallas, I try to pick up my rental after booking it 3 weeks prior. The counter people send me to a booth outside. The guy sends me back to the counter. Since I didn't belong with their loyalty program, the guy at the counter asks for two government issued forms of identification. I only had one with me. They refused to rent me a car. I had to rent from another company.

I was supposed to arrive before noon. I arrived just after 2 pm. Thankfully, the branch was small so the initial data transfer didn't take long.

I found out later that Chicago's O'Hare airport has a terrible reputation with on-time flights.

Seanette
07-15-2015, 01:26 AM
Just how many people HAVE two forms of government-issued ID, anyway?

mathnerd
07-15-2015, 01:33 AM

I've actually run into this problem before, which is why I now carry my passport card* with me at all times. But I agree, most people wouldn't have two forms of government issued ID on them at any given time, if they even *had* two forms of government issued ID.

*For those who don't know, the US government produces a card that's the same size as a standard driver's license, that's good for land and sea travel to specific countries (but not air travel, even to those same countries). I got it when I was traveling to Winnipeg by car several times a month, as it was easier than the full passport book. It's come in handy a few times for general ID purposes.

catcul
07-15-2015, 02:45 AM

That made me think, "Am I renting a car or accepting a job offer?"

No, I wouldn't work for them.

Other than the job offers, I have never run into that sort of thing.

notalwaysright
07-15-2015, 03:09 AM
*For those who don't know, the US government produces a card that's the same size as a standard driver's license, that's good for land and sea travel to specific countries (but not air travel, even to those same countries). I got it when I was traveling to Winnipeg by car several times a month, as it was easier than the full passport book. It's come in handy a few times for general ID purposes.

I think you're talking about the same thing as I have? It's an enhanced license, so it's both what you mentioned (land and sea passport) and a drivers license. So I'd still just have the one govt ID, right? I mean, unless I had my full passport and it wasn't expired. :rolleyes:

Slayer
07-15-2015, 04:01 AM
Ouch, anything that could go wrong did pretty much.

Most of my province, Quebec, would :) i think most of Canada, too, but not not sure. drivers license plus Medicare card, both are government issued photo ids

otakuneko
07-15-2015, 10:41 AM
So I'd still just have the one govt ID, right? I mean, unless I had my full passport and it wasn't expired. :rolleyes:

When a place asks for two forms of ID they usually will also accept certain forms of ID in the singular, passports being one of them. Also usually the second form doesn't have to be photo, so license plus social security card would work, but who carries that normally?

GOInsanity
07-15-2015, 12:20 PM
When a place asks for two forms of ID they usually will also accept certain forms of ID in the singular, passports being one of them. Also usually the second form doesn't have to be photo, so license plus social security card would work, but who carries that normally?

Does a voter's registration card count then?

EricKei
07-15-2015, 02:03 PM
I hope so -- I carry my voter card around as a secondary form of ID/address verification (cuz, ya know, you're NOT supposed to carry your social security card around...or laminate it...etc).

As for the passport card, nar -- I think it's a separate thing from a state DL. Thus, it would qualify as a second form of picture ID.

nutraxfornerves
07-15-2015, 03:41 PM
I happened to be looking up IDs for car rental yesterday, for a question on a travel board. I won't bother to go into all the reasons why the company might ask for more than one, but it's mainly if you are not paying with a credit card. Most companies will accept a second photo ID, not just government, such as a store loyalty card or an employment ID, or a current utility bill with the same name & address. Everyone carries around their cable bill when they travel, right?

Seanette
07-15-2015, 04:13 PM
And just how many store loyalty cards include a photo?

notalwaysright
07-15-2015, 04:46 PM
And just how many store loyalty cards include a photo?

I know of.... one. My Costco card has my pic on it, such as it is. :cry: But yeah, not real common.

EricKei, you're right. My google powers must of been down, to not spot the helpful comparison. (http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php) (note, not the "official" site, so let's not use it like it's 100% accurate) So I'd still just have the one, since I have the EDL. On a somewhat unrelated topic, just for fun I looked up the DOL in my town because it tells you the approximate wait time for new licenses, renewals, and EDLs... There's no flipping wait! They all say 0 hours 0 minutes, except for new licenses which say 0 hours 3 minutes. When I was there last, it was up near an hour. Curses! Well, next time I renew I know when to go...

wolfie
07-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Then there are the places that say they need government-issued ID, but mean that they need a SPECIFIC TYPE of government-issued ID. A few places have asked to see ID, and I've pulled out my FAST card (jointly issued by Canada and the U.S., shows that the holder has already undergone security screening - it's for truck drivers who cross the border a lot). A number of places wouldn't accept it - they hadn't seen one before.

jedimaster91
07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
instead of going from Raleigh to Dallas through Dulles airport near DC, I had to go through O'Hare Airport in Chicago, IL.

I found out later that Chicago's O'Hare airport has a terrible reputation with on-time flights.

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I've flow through O'Hare before and they changed our gate 3 times within an hour. And of course none of the three were anywhere near each other. I hate flying through O'Hare and will actively avoid it if possible.

Ironclad Alibi
07-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Also usually the second form doesn't have to be photo, so license plus social security card would work, but who carries that normally?

My social security card won't work for that. It has on it, "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES - NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION."

I got my SS card in 1963. Mrs. IA's SS card from the mid 1990s lacks that notation.

BlaqueKatt
07-16-2015, 02:39 PM

I do! :D
state ID(two actually, they let me keep my wisconsin one, it's still valid) and a "Totally Worthless Identification Card (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Worker_Identification_Credential)":D
Also A security license issued by the New Jersey State Police

so technically I have 4 government issued photo ID cards.

Jetfire
07-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Most of my province, Quebec, would :) i think most of Canada, too, but not not sure. drivers license plus Medicare card, both are government issued photo ids

Well, in New Brunswick, the LIcense is a Photo ID but the Medicare card does not have a photo. IIRC Ontario's medicare card doesn't (or it didn't 10 years ago) have a photo either.

As far as photo ID, I'll have my DL and Passport on me when travelling, but if I'm just puttering around, I'll only have the DL on me. So if they don't accept non-photo ID I'd be SOL.

wolfie
07-16-2015, 08:39 PM
IIRC Ontario's medicare card doesn't (or it didn't 10 years ago) have a photo either.

Original red-and-white cards didn't have a photo, and had no expiry date (I've still got one). Newer cards have a photo, and are good for 5 years. There's some talk of recalling the old cards.

mathnerd
07-17-2015, 03:01 AM
I think you're talking about the same thing as I have? It's an enhanced license, so it's both what you mentioned (land and sea passport) and a drivers license. So I'd still just have the one govt ID, right? I mean, unless I had my full passport and it wasn't expired. :rolleyes:

No, this is different from the enhanced driver's licenses that some states issue. I would have liked one of those back when I was traveling into Canada frequently, but I was a North Dakota resident at the time, and ND doesn't offer those.

This is what I'm talking about:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

cindybubbles
07-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Because I don't drive, I used to use my health card for ID, but not anymore. Now I have a government-issued photo ID.

PastryGal
07-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Well, in New Brunswick, the LIcense is a Photo ID but the Medicare card does not have a photo. IIRC Ontario's medicare card doesn't (or it didn't 10 years ago) have a photo either.

As far as photo ID, I'll have my DL and Passport on me when travelling, but if I'm just puttering around, I'll only have the DL on me. So if they don't accept non-photo ID I'd be SOL.

I'm in Newfoundland and our provincial medicare cards don't have photo ID on them. 10 years ago when I was in PEI there was no photo. Most of my life I was in New Brunswick and no photo there either. In fact when I was first getting my license you didn't need to have your photo on it, they charged more if you wanted or needed it. That changed a couple years later making photos mandatory on DL's and the cost was worked into the total price.

Hsaud
07-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Alberta doesn't have a photo on their health care card either. I've been asked for two forms of id before but usually only one needs to have a picture.

Dreamstalker
07-22-2015, 04:43 AM
My SS card also says "not for identification". Technically I believe my EBT card could be used as one form of ID as it does have my photo on it and is issued by the state.

I have two valid state IDs: my primary state of residence, and it's easy enough to keep my NM-based one current so I do--I also think that ID photo is far better ;) I never carry both at once (whichever one I'm not actively using is in the lockbox) and never found there to be any problems. Chronologically my NM ID was issued first, and when I went for my other state ID they only asked about a DL.

AccountingDrone
07-22-2015, 08:37 AM
<rummaging through my messenger bag> 4 governmental based IDs - US passport, US military ID, Nuclear Regulatory Commission "get out of jail card" and state of CT drivers license. [the get out of jail card lets me pass any roadblock or drive in travel bans en route to a nuclear based emergency. I would guess I could also flee from said type of emergency also, it doesn't say I have to go towards the emergency, just that I am authorized to pass =) ] I also used to have a haz mat version for NY state but it lapsed about 30 years ago.

Gilhelmi
07-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Hey AccountingDrone, what would I need to do to get that Nuclear Regulatory Commission card? :angel:

OT: When I worked at a nursing home, I was issued an ID card that would let me get to work if the roads were closed because of a disaster (like a tornado). I have my Conceal Carry Permit and my Military ID and my DL.

Of course, 2 of the 4 are expired.

Jetfire
07-22-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm in Newfoundland and our provincial medicare cards don't have photo ID on them. 10 years ago when I was in PEI there was no photo. Most of my life I was in New Brunswick and no photo there either. In fact when I was first getting my license you didn't need to have your photo on it, they charged more if you wanted or needed it. That changed a couple years later making photos mandatory on DL's and the cost was worked into the total price.

Yup, I got my first DL in New Brunswick in the early 90's, and it was still paper at the time, with no pictures. Just a pink sheet of paper with my info printed on it.

They rolled out the photo licenses in the mid 90's and I swapped the paper for the photo-card version just before I went to university IIRC.

At least NB was smart about it, and updated all their offices to print on site, so you don't need to wait for the license in the mail. (Usually; I've posted my story about my last license renewal fun around somewhere :) ).

I do remember when the photo licenses came out, people were complaining because the first wave of licenses supposedly had a fading problem. It was quickly fixed but the media loves to pick at any fault they can find. :)

Dreamstalker
07-22-2015, 02:34 PM
My EBT card has a fading problem; it looks like they used a cheap ID printer (ironically, my undergraduate ID that used the same type of printer is still legible 10 years on). It got damp in the rain one day and the ink started coming off.

Of all the photo ID items I have, my transit pass and NM ID have the best pictures. Transit pass has also gotten wet and none of the ink has come off, but an RFID card printer probably uses a different ink/process.

mathnerd
07-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Now that I think about it, my youngest son (who's 13) has three government ID's if we're taking non-traditional type ID's into account. He has his passport, a state ID card (he has to have one to go along with his handicap parking permit), and his disabled user bus pass, which in my city has the owner's photo on it (the bus system is run by the county, so the ID is technically government issued). Not bad for a kid who's still a few years away from even being able to drive.

hyperion
07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Just wondering...does having 2 copies of a state drivers licence count? My state underwent some design changes on the DL a few years ago and so I have one of the old format and one of the new format. Both being valid for a few more years...

PastryGal
07-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Yup, I got my first DL in New Brunswick in the early 90's, and it was still paper at the time, with no pictures. Just a pink sheet of paper with my info printed on it.

They rolled out the photo licenses in the mid 90's and I swapped the paper for the photo-card version just before I went to university IIRC.

At least NB was smart about it, and updated all their offices to print on site, so you don't need to wait for the license in the mail. (Usually; I've posted my story about my last license renewal fun around somewhere :) ).

I do remember when the photo licenses came out, people were complaining because the first wave of licenses supposedly had a fading problem. It was quickly fixed but the media loves to pick at any fault they can find. :)

Nice thing here in NL when I moved from Mt Pearl to St.John's all I had to do was email them my new address and they mailed me out a new one updated. The offices here aren't too bad tho. Don't think I've ever waited more than an hour or so on a busy day.

dawnfire
07-27-2015, 12:53 AM
Nice thing here in NL when I moved from Mt Pearl to St.John's all I had to do was email them my new address and they mailed me out a new one updated. The offices here aren't too bad tho. Don't think I've ever waited more than an hour or so on a busy day.
here in Victoria, Australia all you do is notify Vic Roads (our version of DMV) via online form , on the phone or in person and they send out a sticker to attach to your card

Jetfire
07-27-2015, 01:47 PM
When I moved across the river, took me about an hour at Service NB to get my license updated. I could probably have done it online, but their offices are open on Saturdays so I went in early; didn't have much of a wait and had my updated license in no time really.

Just wondering...does having 2 copies of a state drivers licence count? My state underwent some design changes on the DL a few years ago and so I have one of the old format and one of the new format. Both being valid for a few more years...

I believe that even if one isn't expired, one license is supposed to replace the other; so even though there is no indicator (expired date for example) the older license is actually invalid now.

I could be wrong, but most places would want to make sure the previous license is invalidated before a new one is issued (other than for temporary licenses)

catcul
08-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Two of my coworkers, A and Kojak, got hit with airline delays. They were supposed to be at their branches before noon, but they have not shown up after their branches closed. It looks like our PM may have to delay installs at those sites for later this month. :(

catcul
10-06-2015, 12:51 PM
The CEO of the airline resigned last month. This particular airline has had a bad reputation for customer service.

wolfie
10-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I try to pick up my rental after booking it 3 weeks prior. The counter people send me to a booth outside. The guy sends me back to the counter. Since I didn't belong with their loyalty program, the guy at the counter asks for two government issued forms of identification. I only had one with me. They refused to rent me a car. I had to rent from another company.

Two fails for the price of one. First, they shouldn't send you back and forth. Second, and more important, they should tell you the requirements WHEN YOU BOOK THE RENTAL. If they'd done that, you could have joined their loyalty program (all that I know of are free to join) or brought another government ID with you. Only letting you know once you arrive at your destination - where you NEED the car and can't correct the problem - is a great way to get BAD word-of-mouth advertising. I'd guess that next time you travel, you'll book your rental through the other company you had to go to.