PDA

View Full Version : Completionist's Worst Enemy (video game talk)

Aragarthiel
07-24-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm a completionist, and as such, I hate games with massive amounts of bugs. So far I've encountered only two that I was unable to complete 100%, and one (Assassin's Creed: Black Flag) was because it required internet to do more and I didn't have internet at the time.

The other is Fable II.

I know people claim that Fable II is better than Fable 3, but I have NEVER been able to complete all of the post-game quests in Fable II, and the main story quests often had bugs that I had to work around as well. Not to mention, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to manage having a family on that game, since you go on a single short quest and come back to find that your spouse has divorced you and taken the children (or our kid decided to go on an adventure alone and got himself into trouble). The lack of minimap also made things particularly difficult for me, because at least if you wanted to go to one particular building in a town, you had the minimap in the original/TLC and could get the golden trail to lead you there in 3. In II you just wander aimlessly until you find it.

Has anyone else encountered that ever-frustrating unfinishable game?

dalesys
07-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Has anyone else encountered that ever-frustrating unfinishable game?
Yep. Real Life.

Kal
07-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Just Cause 2 is one. I believe that to 100% it you need to drive some of the vehicles and destroy some buildings that were removed before launch. There's mods for it but they don't help with consoles.

Chromatix
07-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Silent Hunter 5 is the worst game I've encountered yet, in terms of bugginess. So far, I haven't managed to complete even a single patrol in it, for a variety of reasons.

firecat88
07-27-2015, 11:06 PM
This isn't because of bugs, but King's Quest VI was a freaking nightmare to finish if you didn't have the game guide. Some of the puzzles were downright diabolical.

Kheldarson
07-28-2015, 01:19 AM
This isn't because of bugs, but King's Quest VI was a freaking nightmare to finish if you didn't have the game guide. Some of the puzzles were downright diabolical.

Especially if you went the long route.

Tama
07-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Anything to do with the Dragonborn DLC of Skyrim.

I encountered a lot of glitches in it, and not just your bog-standard ones. Two separate GAMEBREAKING ones occurred REQUIRING console command intervention. It's why I've been reluctant to start on it in my current Skyrim playthrough.

Not to mention that the first time I played I had no troubles with Esbern (a freak accident, since I'm now getting the glitchy one everyone else does).

gremcint
07-29-2015, 07:02 AM
I've 100% both Metroid Prime 1 and 2 but number 3 has just way too much.

lordlundar
07-29-2015, 02:28 PM

So a typical Sierra game then? :D

ApolloSZ
07-30-2015, 06:22 AM
Not bug caused, but more collectables. Batman Arkham Knight is annoying me, and the earlier ones but to a lesser extent, in that you need to collect multiple hundreds of Riddler trophies. Which is literally fly/glide/run to here, then figure out which gadget instantly solves this one step riddle. Stop with that crap games!

This is why I'm looking forward to Fallout 4. You can go "my main objective is this way" then two steps in look right, go "oooh shiny" and instantly get sidetracked.

Aragarthiel
07-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Hubs has played all of the Arkham games except the new one, he HATES the Riddler puzzles. I often have to get in there and tell him what to do, since my brain is better at the type of puzzle-solving required.

I thought of another that had simply too much to complete: the first Assassin's Creed. There were SO MANY FLAGS you had to randomly come across that I didn't even try.

Really, the only puzzles in any game that I have to look up are the "Get the ball from here to here by moving all the blocks in the way" puzzles in the Professor Layton games, and one of the Riddler puzzles from one of the Arkham games (Asylum, I think, it involved standing under a bridge with three question marks you had to hit at the same time).

EricKei
07-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Not because of bugs, but because it was absurdly difficult to finish at all, let alone 100% : There's always Infocom's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" text adventure game. The full retail package came with a hint book, and for damn good reason. It's legally playable online for free these days in all of its black-background & white-text glory, if you're interested. It starts off at more or less the same place as the first book, and expects you to use H2G2 logic.

Chromatix
08-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Speaking of minigames, the ones I can't usually solve by myself are the sliding-block puzzles. When those showed up in a Rayman game on the DS, I actually put the DS down and went off to write a solver program on a proper computer to get me through them.

Rayman used a particular variant of the puzzle with a 4x3 block matrix. As it turned out, the puzzle I'd found myself unable to solve... was *insoluble*, and my solver program proved it. In fact, 50% of the possible initial block arrangements are unreachable from the solution (and vice versa). That meant that whenever a sliding-block puzzle showed up, you had a 50% chance of getting an insoluble puzzle, requiring you to save-scum to get a puzzle that *could* be solved.

Don't ask me how that got past QA.

wolfie
08-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Rayman used a particular variant of the puzzle with a 4x3 block matrix. As it turned out, the puzzle I'd found myself unable to solve... was *insoluble*, and my solver program proved it.

That's plain bad programming. If a game developer wants to put in a puzzle that needs to be solved in order to get to the next stage, they need to be sure that it's one that CAN be solved. Either hardcode one that's soluble (or a bunch that are soluble, with a random pick form the list, if you want it to be different on replay), or put in a test for solubility and reject anything that can't be solved.

Chromatix
08-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Or, for puzzles that involve shuffling tiles, generate the puzzle by random moves away from the solution. That guarantees that it's soluble (by reversing the moves, if no other way).

Immortal1982
08-06-2015, 12:28 AM
I got to hand it to microsoft and rare on rare replay. 10k achievement score, and you have to progress so far in each game to unlock all the bonus material. What makes it a challenge is the xbox360 titles. Their unlocks involve hitting achievement milestones (150, 350, 450, 500, etc.) for each game.
And im too much of a completionist to stop. Fuck

Aragarthiel
08-06-2015, 12:35 AM
I'm so excited about the Rare Replay, we have to wait a little while before we can get it though. :( I'm mostly looking forward to Conker's Bad Fur Day and Battletoads. I remember playing Battletoads when I was little and apparently it's just as difficult as I remember it to be.

ApolloSZ
08-10-2015, 01:56 AM
So latest news for Fallout 4 may put it on this list.

Game carries on after storyline is completed, and no level cap.

Ted_The_IT_Guy
08-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Depends on what you can accept as "complete".

World Of Warcrack...er...craft, has an achievement system much like XBox, PS, etc.

Some of the achievements are no longer possible to hit. Some are timing (log in during X anniversary), some are "beat the current patch big bad guy before the next one comes out", some are based off of portions of the game that no longer exist.

The granddaddy of them all though was having one particular mount, that was obtainable by only one or a VERY small handful of people on each server, for an event that was 8 or 9 years ago. To complete this event you didn't need just the help of your guild, you needed the help of YOUR ENTIRE SERVER practically.

Then when the event happened, most servers crashed because people all crowded into one zone and overloaded the system.

I've played WoW On and off (mostly on) since 2007, and I only have about 11000 achievement points - most are worth 10, some 5, some 20 or 25. There are people with thousands of more achievement points than I.

Aragarthiel
08-12-2015, 09:30 PM
I don't really count ongoing games like WoW or Destiny when thinking about completing games, because, yeah, they ARE going to be impossible to complete unless you were there from the beginning or are involved in the inner workings in some way.

I don't know how I forgot about this, but my favorite game is damn near impossible to beat just from the sheer size of it. Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning (for those of you who don't know, it's similar to the Elder Scrolls games), has a MASSIVE amount of side quests and even though the game itself is rather tame with the glitches, odds are you'll run into one at some point. Its even harder if you're trying not to fail any missions, because glitches can make you fail or, like in one circumstance, I was on a mission to make weapons and accidentally salvaged for parts the weapons I was supposed to turn in. I'm not sure if that was a bug, but I couldn't fix it and had to go kill the guy I was supposed to turn them into in order to get it to fail me.

Tee
08-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Skyrim on console.

Buggier than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and you could lose questgivers if you walked past the wrong town and a scripted attack occured while you were technically within loading distance. Really fun if you don't spot it before you override the save you'd need to save them. -_-

Oh, and achievements didn't always register when you met their requirements. Also fun.

EricKei
08-16-2015, 02:53 PM
There was a recent indie game, with only a few levels, that quickly triggered lots of reports that it was so hard, nobody could get past the first level. The guy who made it recently admitted that this is because there IS no way to beat the first level:rant:

Jay 2K Winger
08-16-2015, 07:05 PM
There was a recent indie game, with only a few levels, that quickly triggered lots of reports that it was so hard, nobody could get past the first level. The guy who made it recently admitted that this is because there IS no way to beat the first level:rant:

Was it made by this guy?

http://i.imgur.com/IhPgHjc.jpg

lordlundar
08-17-2015, 12:09 AM

Actually you're off on that. What happened was when the game was sold, people were playing could not get past the first level. When they asked for help, the dev kept giving hints for subsequent levels and not the first. When people looked at the achievement history for the game which showed how many people beat which levels the only one listed as to ever beat any levels was the dev himself. Someone then looked into the game files and found that the only proper level in the game was the first one, with subsequent level files being copied files from the first level. When confronted with it the dev lashed out saying what was done was illegal then claimed it was a bad patch that was uploaded and the next patch would fix it. This was two weeks ago with no new patch, the dev going dark and players being given the ability to get a full refund regardless of situation (the game uses trading cards and the dev had it set to only give cards out after 2 hours of play, putting it out of reach of the regular refund policy. Not really relevant but suspect nonetheless.) At no point did he ever admit that he only made one level, just that he was caught in doing so.

Kheldarson
08-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Replaying FFIX. Just remembered the one thing I could never complete:

Tetra Master.

Fucking card game.