PDA

View Full Version : Being stupid enough to reply

Roland
07-30-2015, 07:48 PM
I actually reply to text messages and voice mail from my boss. So when a situation like tonight pops up... guess who has to fill in for a call off.
Yep. That's me.
While everyone else is doing their best Sgt. Schultz impression.

I need to start turning my phone off like everyone else does.

PastryGal
07-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Sgt. Schultz? Is that the "I know NOTHING" guy from Hogan's Heros?? I'm too young to know that show really but I watched a lot of it one summer on TV Land. Good show.

taxguykarl
07-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Sgt. Schultz? Is that the "I know NOTHING" guy from Hogan's Heros?? Yes, that's him.

BrenDAnn
07-31-2015, 03:46 PM
I was that way too, for many, many years. Now? Phone gets shut off on my weekends off, most times. Days off, I was told I can't do that. Forgive me for trying to have a respite from my job one day a week! The nerve of me!

Catwoman2965
07-31-2015, 04:02 PM
I was that way too, for many, many years. Now? Phone gets shut off on my weekends off, most times. Days off, I was told I can't do that. Forgive me for trying to have a respite from my job one day a week! The nerve of me!

OH really? unless they PAY for said phone, and having it on is a job requirement, i think not.

I used to answer when my PT job would call, then get flustered when asked if I could work extra. I stopped doing that, and if they left a message, it would give me time to formulate a response of "i'm sorry, i have plans, i can't work that day"

lordlundar
07-31-2015, 04:37 PM
I had a discussion with a coworker about this. Put simply there is a REASON I don't have a cell phone and it boils down to if I want time for myself the last thing I want is being pestered to pull emergency sites.

mathnerd
07-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Meh. Tell him you'd be happy to make sure you are available to take a phone call on your days off as long as he pays you for being "on call". I'm pretty sure there are laws about that anyway.

Roland
07-31-2015, 09:12 PM
We were up all night working a double shift the day before. If I hadn't come in he would have pulled a second double so I was a nice guy.

Android Kaeli
07-31-2015, 11:51 PM
This is the reason why I have told my co-workers NO ONE outside of my roommate and the family that lives close by, gets my current cell phone number. And also why I have two, and only two, contact numbers: the landline and, for emergencies, 911. I will not give any kind of other contact number or any other way to reach me, if my work can not reach me at home then it's tough luck.

I have also told the roommate that if my work calls when I'm not at home and she answers, she is told to tell them that I have non-negotiable plans with family that will take the entire day. I figure by now they take it as "Kaeli is not coming in, NEXT!".

Lovecats
08-02-2015, 04:49 PM
I know some people where I used to work would have a certain ringtone for work and if they called would just ignore it. We have an answering machine for our landline at home and I would just listen to the message and decide if I really wanted to work or not.

catcul
08-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I didn't even get out of bed this morning.

Marmalady
08-02-2015, 07:13 PM

I find that the signal around where I live is very unreliable. Sometimes a text won't reach me for hours and hours, until it's far too late to do anything about it :devil:

pzychobitch
08-02-2015, 08:00 PM
This is the reason why I have told my co-workers NO ONE outside of my roommate and the family that lives close by, gets my current cell phone number. And also why I have two, and only two, contact numbers: the landline and, for emergencies, 911. I will not give any kind of other contact number or any other way to reach me, if my work can not reach me at home then it's tough luck.

I have also told the roommate that if my work calls when I'm not at home and she answers, she is told to tell them that I have non-negotiable plans with family that will take the entire day. I figure by now they take it as "Kaeli is not coming in, NEXT!".

I usually use some variation of that like "you motherf*ckers know i live almost an hour drive away, one way, and you are calling me in. this better be worth my time and gas, or i'm not coming in"

stopped being called in on sundays, thank god

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-02-2015, 09:16 PM
I screen all my calls. It doesn't work to block my employer's phone number because the managers are known to call from their personal cell phones.

If I decide to go in, I can just call them back.

pzychobitch
08-03-2015, 09:35 PM
I know some people where I used to work would have a certain ringtone for work and if they called would just ignore it.

My phone is set up exactly like this. All the managers have my personal cell # but they all have a ringtone specifically for them.

the Imperial March from star wars

Terza
08-04-2015, 11:00 AM
I always answer calls from work ( as long as I hear my phone - it's usually in another room so I don't always), but I only agree to cover 60% of the time.
However, because I'm firm/honest about when I can or can't cover, and am a hard worker, my managers don't call me in for too many last minute crappy shifts, and they generally give me time off when I want even at very short notice.

But, I've noticed that actually I seem to get a lot more leeway/credit from my managers than a couple of my co-workers do, so maybe I just got lucky!

Seanette
08-04-2015, 04:53 PM
But, I've noticed that actually I seem to get a lot more leeway/credit from my managers than a couple of my co-workers do, so maybe I just got lucky!

Or you've EARNED it by being a hard and reliable worker. :)

Bardmaiden
08-04-2015, 08:12 PM

My boyfriend uses the Muppets theme :D

Kit-Ginevra
08-04-2015, 11:27 PM
My boyfriend uses the Muppets theme :D

...as the ringtone for when you're calling him? :D

Jay 2K Winger
08-05-2015, 12:38 AM
My phone is set up exactly like this. All the managers have my personal cell # but they all have a ringtone specifically for them.

That's what I had for the wholesale club's line when I worked there.

Alas, due to the nature of The Client where I work now, I can't really use a particular ringtone for their calls, or I'd do the same.

carryonnow
08-07-2015, 09:58 PM
My boss's ring tone is the theme to "Mission Impossible." For the store and my employees, I choose to use "If I only had a brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

I have also given my employees the qualifications for an emergency

1. Is it on fire?--NO, do not call the manager

2. Is it flooding? NO, Do not call the manager

3. Has there been a bombing? NO, Do NOT call the manager

4. Is there blood? NO, Do NOT call the manager

5. Are there bullets in the air? NO, DO NOT CALL THE MANAGER

**low fuel alarms--call dispatch**
**cooler breaks down, call DM who will call for service**
**register problems--call tech support**
**too sick to work...call everyone else BEFORE calling the manager...she will relieve you when she can...until then...there are customers that need to be waited on**

(YES--I am a b&tch...I have covered 2 over night shifts in 5 years...because the employee was in the Emergency room)

notalwaysright
08-07-2015, 10:16 PM
My boss's ring tone is the theme to "Mission Impossible." For the store and my employees, I choose to use "If I only had a brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

Brilliant! For a long time when I had a boss who called from one specific number I had the theme from the Godfather. I have a terrible time choosing ringtones. I've had so many, from Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, to the opening of Shadowgate, to Faulty Towers.

Honestly nowadays I screen my calls unless it's a number which I have saved, like "Mom." :) Even if I recognize it as my work, I let it go to voice mail unless I'm prepared to go to work Right Now.

deysongrey
08-13-2015, 10:42 PM
I never take calls from work, and I absolutely will not call them back if they just leave a message saying "I need to talk to you, call me back." Yeah I gathered you wanted to talk to me when I saw your number on the caller ID. I want to know why. Don't like that? This is my time. Deal with it.

CorneliaMarieRocks
08-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Sgt. Schultz? Is that the "I know NOTHING" guy from Hogan's Heros?? I'm too young to know that show really but I watched a lot of it one summer on TV Land. Good show.

Yep...Never seen Hogan's Heroes myself, but I know who he is.

If I'd have read this thread several years ago I'd have had no clue who that was, but since I've been watching NCIS & hearing DiNutso (Fornell's pronunciation) do an impression of him :lol: