PDA

View Full Version : So....

Seraph
01-18-2016, 12:49 AM
How's your day going?

<sits and sips on tea>

Jay 2K Winger
01-18-2016, 01:32 AM
I almost don't want to say anything, lest I jinx it.

Both because that's how Fate works.

And this is a thread created by Seraph, the Enemy of Normalcy, and so such jinxes would work even harder here...

BookstoreEscapee
01-18-2016, 02:05 AM
I just came in from cleaning the snow off my car (so I hopefully won't have to do much in the morning) and my fingers hurt from cold.

Other than that, I have done absolutely nothing of note today.

prjkt
01-18-2016, 02:21 AM
I'm lying on my bed in front of my air conditioner, not wanting to leave the house, but I'm down to a third of a toilet roll left.

Kanalah
01-18-2016, 03:36 AM
Let's see...

Cleaning out the house, because it's January. I only have 3 rooms left before I can call the donate truck to pick it all up.

Waiting to hear if Hub's salary offer is accepted, if it is, we'll be moving to Tulsa.

Goofing around in WoW, but getting ready to go to bed because I am teaching school tomorrow to my kidlets - with a book about MLK Jr. and watching the "I have a Dream" speech.

Also in shock still about the possibility of losing this place. :(

Seraph
01-18-2016, 03:44 AM
And this is a thread created by Seraph, the Enemy of Normalcy, and so such jinxes would work even harder here...

Hey now....actually....that's....probably true. Had someone visit last night and in the space of his visit, he got bitten by a spider, my dog broke a jar, my neighbor almost broke her arm, I got punched in the jaw (and on the side I just had surgery on), and then the town's sewage line backed up into the house. He just kind of sat down on the couch and was like "you...don't make any of the stuff up. Ever. Do you?"

NOPE.

I'm lying on my bed in front of my air conditioner, not wanting to leave the house, but I'm down to a third of a toilet roll left.
....want some of this snow?

please?....

Let's see...

Cleaning out the house, because it's January. I only have 3 rooms left before I can call the donate truck to pick it all up.

Waiting to hear if Hub's salary offer is accepted, if it is, we'll be moving to Tulsa.

Goofing around in WoW, but getting ready to go to bed because I am teaching school tomorrow to my kidlets - with a book about MLK Jr. and watching the "I have a Dream" speech.

Also in shock still about the possibility of losing this place. :(

Kana I'm going to have to tell you to move out to meh. Yep. Yep yep. <puppy eyes>

Also seriously I am about to punch BC in the throat if I don't get my Ashes this month. ITS BEEN YEARS.

Kogarashi
01-18-2016, 03:55 AM
Good on this end. Nice session of church, introducing my 9-year-old daughter to MtG Commander, and dinner and board games with friends down the street. Satisfying Sunday for me.

Hey now....actually....that's....probably true. Had someone visit last night and in the space of his visit, he got bitten by a spider, my dog broke a jar, my neighbor almost broke her arm, I got punched in the jaw (and on the side I just had surgery on), and then the town's sewage line backed up into the house.

This sounds like a story worth listening to.

Kittish
01-18-2016, 05:30 AM
Typical Sunday for us. Dinner and gaming with friends. Get home and spend a few hours playing Fallout 4.

prjkt
01-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Mm snow. Can't say I've ever actually seen snow, so sure?

Fallout 4, haven't played that for a little while, but I might just start a new game

MoonCat
01-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Oh, just sitting here hoping like hell that someone buys the site and keeps it running. I fully understand it's time for Raps to move on, but I hate to lose this.

Hell, I was just about to pay someone to create a new avatar for me so I can have something that's really mine.

Other than that, just messing around online, doing a bit of writing, and being glad I took MLK Day off so I don't have to deal with Sunday bus schedules (because that's what they do on holidays, never mind that not everyone normally gets the day off).

Kara
01-18-2016, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't mind a do-over. Fiancee texted me six hours into my shift asking if I could come home because her daughter ran away. Six hours into my shift was 1am and we live in a huge city. Then we spent 2 hours driving around and checking everywhere she may have gone and had the police looking for her. Then fiancee's sister called and said she came home (3:30am). Then we had a two-hour family talk and may wind up pulling her out of school and homeschooling her, since she's been acting up a lot since starting middle school and it keeps getting worse. Which would be a shame since we just got a letter that she's been accepted to a fine art academy if we can manage to scrape the funds together to send her there. So today can pretty much just sod off.

AnaKhouri
01-18-2016, 01:26 PM
It's 9:23 am here. Woke up at 5 per usual, tried to work out but Baby, who usually gets up at 6, decided having an hour to myself every morning is acceptable and woke up at 5:20. Older Son woke up at 6 (ugh), he doesn't even have school today! I ordered him back to bed and he slept until 8:30, thank heavens.

Had a glass of chocolate milk, entertained husband for a few minutes with a long, in-depth conversation about the life and loves of Obi-wan Kenobi, now Baby is napping, Older Son is playing Mario Maker and I am cleaning out the garage. Apparently we have TWO card tables. I'm mystified as to where the other one came from.

dalesys
01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
... Apparently we have TWO card tables. I'm mystified as to where the other one came from.
The missing socks have pupated?

lordlundar
01-18-2016, 03:02 PM
SERAPH!

*tackle hugs*

So glad to see you back! I thought something happened to you. Well, more than normal that is. :p

Kanalah
01-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Kana I'm going to have to tell you to move out to meh. Yep. Yep yep. <puppy eyes>

Also seriously I am about to punch BC in the throat if I don't get my Ashes this month. ITS BEEN YEARS.

Tulsa's two hours closer to you?

I can't complain at Wow, finally got my raven lord after years. >.>

Seraph
01-18-2016, 05:55 PM
This sounds like a story worth listening to.

...Just pretty much how it happened. Except the sewer line backing up....my husband and my buddy were chatting about board games when I just was like "....does anyone hear water?" Cue both of them laughing at me and noting the kids are taking showers, and that "he'll check in a minute". I went downstairs immediately and found a veritable waterfall coming out of EVERY pipe in the basement. Shrieked a lot, we shut off the water, town came out and blew out the pipes. They apologized, since this is the second time its happened in a month, and said they'll figure it out eventually.

So today can pretty much just sod off.

<massive, massive hugs>

SERAPH!

*tackle hugs*

So glad to see you back! I thought something happened to you. Well, more than normal that is. :p

A...lot happened. A lot. Job changes, LOT of deaths in the family, and have been laid out due to a surgery gone wrong. XP

...But...but....Seraph MUST collect more internet friends and move them to her place. D: I've succeeded with one, I WILL HAVE MORE!!!

Also grats on raven! :D

Crossbow
01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Good to see you again, Seraph. And gentle hugs for having such a rough time lately.

Let's see, other than several major highways around me being closed due to weather and accidents, work is... interesing... Major changes and shakeups going on.

Jay 2K Winger
01-18-2016, 06:29 PM
I can talk about yesterday now it's over. I will withhold comment on today because, again-- Seraph Thread. Normalcy Does Not Approve.

I made the right call in not commenting on yesterday. I would have said something about how it had been a quiet night, and would inevitably have been inundated with a phone call.

By saying nothing, I made it through the night without a single phone call. Which I consider a Result. I don't count it as boring, since I has internets and YouTubes.

As for others in my life, Mom's been back to the hospital again and is now rehabbing her knee again. Sister just got engaged on Saturday. And my best friend Tom, whom I once declined being roommates with because I couldn't trust him financially, is moving out of his parents' house in March. Which serves as a wake-up call for me, because if Tom, who makes less than me, can afford (just) to move out, then I can afford to move out.

Bardmaiden
01-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Holy cow I've been after that for years! Grats!

My day could have been better started with nightmares and a headache/girl issues

Seraph
01-18-2016, 07:14 PM
then I can afford to move out.

You can do eeeeeeet!

Seriously. I just finished helping a friend of mine find a job after like, three years of unemployment. Found him a place, got him everything set up, helped him move...he thought he couldn't afford to get out on his own either. Its doable, but difficult. You ever need a hand....just ping me. Here, or FB. <huggles>

I'm honestly figuring the job I landed him will just be a temp thing, until he finds his feet. Already in talks with someone for what I hope could be his ideal job....not telling him yet until I find out more. <crossing fingers>

MoonCat
01-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Apparently we have TWO card tables. I'm mystified as to where the other one came from.

I have 2 cables that I use for recharging my MP3 player and my sister's. I found a third one lying on the computer table and I have NO IDEA where it came from. So apparently these things reproduce :p

Kara
01-18-2016, 08:41 PM
Oh, just sitting here hoping like hell that someone buys the site and keeps it running. I fully understand it's time for Raps to move on, but I hate to lose this.

Same. I may not have any work stories anymore, but I can at least complain about the woes of being a stepmom here, where my fiancee can't read about it like she can on facebook.

Kogarashi
01-18-2016, 08:43 PM
So apparently these things reproduce :p

See, I have the reverse problem. I don't get random things showing up in my house, I get things disappearing instead. We have a gremlin. Most recent I can think of was the HDMI cable for my PS3, but thankfully the TV's wall mount came with a spare so I was still able to hook my system up PROPERLY (instead of having to resort to the RCA cables we were using before the move when we didn't have an HD TV).

And apparently the Magic bug bit my oldest hard yesterday, because she spent the afternoon and much of today designing her own cards. Now I just need to teach her how to build a sealed deck so she can go to prereleases with me....

Jay 2K Winger
01-18-2016, 09:42 PM
You can do eeeeeeet!

Seriously. I just finished helping a friend of mine find a job after like, three years of unemployment. Found him a place, got him everything set up, helped him move...he thought he couldn't afford to get out on his own either. Its doable, but difficult. You ever need a hand....just ping me. Here, or FB. <huggles>

I'm honestly figuring the job I landed him will just be a temp thing, until he finds his feet. Already in talks with someone for what I hope could be his ideal job....not telling him yet until I find out more. <crossing fingers>

Oh, I know I can do it. Tom's basically going to be close to broke to move in where he's moving in, but it's really his only option, since he doesn't have a car, and he walks to work. The apartment is practically across the street from where he works.

And having scoped the place out a bit online, it's a NICE complex, and I'm considering moving in there as well.

Right now, though, it's a matter of waiting. I don't want to move out just yet-- Mom's still in rehab for her knee, and I kind of want to wait till she's back home, and that she and Dad can manage without someone else to help out around the house.

Thanks for the support, though, Seraph.

EricKei
01-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Except the sewer line backing up....Now that you mention it...Something related happened to us a couple of weeks back.

BG: I live in a wee little apartment in my brother's back yard; Mom lives down the block; SIL's mom lives ten minutes way. Meaning: Bro and his wifey have three on-demand babysitters for their little ones, two of which can take kids overnight (hint: not me -- I don't even have room for my books)

Anyhoo.

Couple weeks ago, the water service abruptly stopped working in my home and his. His was clogged up all the way, and suspicion immediately fell upon his kid#2 -- but, as it turns out, it wasn't her fault. Ya see, the pipes under this property are, reasonably enough, as old as the houses -- namely, circa 1908. And they'd never really had any serious work done, or at least, nothing that Drano couldn't handle. This time? Not so much.

Turns out that a combination of a century's worth of build up...*ahem* stuff, the age of the pipes, and their narrowness all worked together to bring the system down, down down down. The *entire* pipe run from his house's main outlet out to the street had to be dug up and replaced with more modern piping. Mine, fortunately, was still usable, simply because of the drastically lower usage over time. This pretty much blew away their entire rainy day fund and then some. :(

Aside from that, not much worthy of note going on around here -- at least, nothing that compares. Just trying to stay warm in a house where the walls are insulated -- but the floors and ceiling are not x.x

wolfie
01-19-2016, 12:02 PM
(hint: not me -- I don't even have room for my books)

There are 2 kinds of people - those who don't have room for their book collection, and those who need to go buy some more books.

Crossbow
01-19-2016, 01:57 PM
There are 2 kinds of people - those who don't have room for their book collection, and those who need to go buy some more books.

Quoted for truth. There's three types of book collection:

Decoration - these are coffee table books scattered around and "must have classic titles" on the random shelf so the owner can look good.

Information - The modest, or maybe even not-so-modest collections on a given topic. Frequently seen in an office.

Then there's the collections of the rest of us bibliophiles: Insulation. I can't give up my library. My heating bill will skyrocket.

Kogarashi
01-20-2016, 05:45 AM
Then there's the collections of the rest of us bibliophiles: Insulation. I can't give up my library. My heating bill will skyrocket.

Ours isn't quite at insulation level, but it's definitely not the other types. Mostly fiction, sci-fi and fantasy, with a couple shelves at the bottom for reference books leftover from college that Hubby and I felt like keeping.

KuariKaydrith
01-20-2016, 10:56 AM
I'd love to have enough books to say they're insulation, but I'm nowhere near that level yet. I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, but I also read a lot of history books and have a collection of literary classics. There are also a fair selection of textbooks from when I was in university too, but I only kept the ones that truly interested me and sold the ones I knew I would never look at again. Having double-majored in English and History means I've got a bit of an eclectic collection. And considering that my two focus areas for History were in early Russian Communism and the rise of the Third Reich, yeah, I've got some weird stuff there, including books I bought after I finished my degree. Oh, and then there is the collection of folklore books that I've been picking up over the past few years...

Okay, I need more bookshelves...

Kanalah
01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
I don't have insulation levels yet, but my co-workers think I'm nuts because I have ~ 300 books and less then 50 DVDs.

Crossbow
01-20-2016, 01:21 PM
I don't have insulation levels yet, but my co-workers think I'm nuts because I have ~ 300 books and less then 50 DVDs.

I knew you were my kind of person, Kanalah. :)

Bardmaiden
01-20-2016, 02:58 PM
We definitely have insulation levels of books here, we conservatively estimate we have around 3,000 books :o

AnaKhouri
01-20-2016, 03:46 PM
7 years ago my husband did an estimate that we had around 2500 books. That was 7 years and 2 kids ago. The kids are on track to outstrip both of us in a few years. I don't even want to think about how many books we own.

Kit-Ginevra
01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
With every X hundred books,you trade them for a kid.

Meanwhile,I have to be out of the house by Thursday as the landlord is redoing it all-lounge floor coming up,bathroom/kitchen all being redone.And I don't have anywhere to go.Been to see many properties.I have references,I have deposit,I have guaranteed rent.Most of them have been house-shares who are 'we've got to see other people'.Even the one I really got on with decided to go with someone else.And as for the ones who had said yes we like you,the landlord thought you were great..'and then two days later,just before I got ready to sign things,sent me a message saying 'Housemate's friend needs a place-they're having it instead.'
Grrr...so it'll be down at Mum's for the weekends-and then a two hour commute in the week and living in B&Bs and guest houses.Wonderful....
Any CSers down this way want a fairly well-trained house guest?I can pay!!

EricKei
01-20-2016, 04:20 PM
I was at insulation levels back home -- most of which was from Dad's collection back when he was with us. But still plenty of my own. Most of it had to be left behind in the move, due to a significant restriction on space. Nevertheless, 70% of my boxes were books and collections of a few magazines. For some inexplicable reason, there was "no room" to bring even one bookcase in the U-Haul -- which sucks, as the one I wanted to bring was a big 6-foot-high by 5~6 foot wide, solid wood bad boy that would have held most of them. I've had to pick up stray shelving as gifts and thrift store finds instead x.x I miss that bookshelf.

prjkt
01-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Its currently 7:15am here
I've been awake since 8am yesterday with only a broken nap at about 1-3pm yesterday.

Was about to go to bed, and my gf starts to cry out.

Sitting in a hospital room now, waiting for her to give birth.

csquared
01-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Prjkt, that is just the start of many night without sleep.

Good luck and congratulations!

Sunshine
01-21-2016, 04:15 AM
Today was cool. Had the day off from my new job, applied for and scheduled an interview for a newer job (first job is only part time, I need more money/hours/benefits).

Ironclad Alibi
01-21-2016, 04:20 AM
Speaking of insulating books, one wall of my bedroom is covered with paperback books. End to end and floor to ceiling. It doesn't insulate very well because it is an interior wall. Most of my other bookshelves are also interior walls.

Kanalah
01-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Went to one of daughter's friend's house for a birthday party.

One whole wall of their living room is built in bookshelves. Like at least 15 feet.

It was crammed full with DVDs. :cry:

Ghel
01-21-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm still unpacking after moving from a 3-bedroom house to a 1-bedroom apartment. I gave away over half my books, but I still have hundreds. Most of them are still in boxes because I don't know where to put them all. My plan was to read the ones I haven't read yet (I'm a bad bookworm :( ) and then give them away. But I can't find time to read much (which is the saddest part of this situation).

Chromatix
01-21-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm currently struggling with a bicycle which refuses point-blank to work properly in cold weather. This is quite a handicap, seeing as it's my main means of transport, the nearest shops are eight miles away, and it's now late January in Finland.

I eventually figured out that the freewheel is of the fancy "roller clutch" type, most notable for its lack of tick-tick-tick noise when coasting - and also its lack of reliability. And, most vexingly, its lack of mechanical compatibility with conventional ratchet-based freewheels that might make good replacements.

Advice from internet experts suggests it may be cost-effective to replace the whole *wheel*. But at least I can probably re-use the tyre (which is new) and gears (which aren't new, but are familiar).

XCashier
01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
I got two tall bookshelves for Christmas. Assembled them, put them in the bedroom, and they now hold a good chunk of my books where I can get to them easily. :) (Some are still in the living room, or boxed up in the storage room.) I've got all of the Harry Potter books, nearly all of the Discworld books, lots of other miscellaneous sci-fi, medieval history books, cookbooks, graphic novels, bible studies, etc.

I'm currently re-doing the kitchen. We've got too many items we don't use, and too many things that we can't find when we need them. Not to mention too much dust on the shelves. So, I'm cleaning, rearranging and now need to figure out storage strategies.

Aria
01-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Well, I walked to the grocery store. I bought food, lots of fruits esp. XD These cherries from chile were 5.99 a lb - that's Canadian - wrinkly and likely out of season, but still delicious. So I walked home carrying three heavy bags and that was my workout for the day. :D Right now I'm eating something vaguely chili-ish that I made with squash, a sausage, onions, frozen kale and tomato paste. And chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt. I'm working chats from various departments as I eat. A pretty good day, honestly.

Kogarashi
01-22-2016, 05:16 AM
One whole wall of their living room is built in bookshelves. Like at least 15 feet.

Jealous!

It was crammed full with DVDs. :cry:

Still kind of jealous (though I don't think I have that many individual movies/TV series I want to own.

A nice thing about moving this year to our new place is that we bought a house, which means we actually had the space to put up all our bookshelves and add floating shelves on another wall, so now our entire library is up on the free-standing shelves (instead of half-or-more in storage), and our DVDs finally have their own home on the floating shelves.

I'm currently struggling with a bicycle which refuses point-blank to work properly in cold weather.

My husband can sympathize. While we're now in one of the southern states so it's not a real problem anymore, we moved from upstate NY and, prior to Hubby upgrading to a brand new bike, there was a 3-4 month stretch where the bike just refused to run properly in the cold. I think it kept slipping its chain, among other things. The bike upgrade was necessary because of how old the previous one was, and just requiring more in maintenance than it was worth.

mathnerd
01-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Two words: Dead car.

I'm gonna go cry now.

Dreamstalker
01-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Picked our car up to the tune of $1900. Some of the work was stuff that needed to be re-fixed, mechanic showed us the old exhaust clamps that were essentially bits of rust in the proper shapes held together by rust :eek: If those had been left alone even a few days longer he said the entire system would have fallen out which would have been even more expensive. Luckily I have a credit card on one of dad's accounts for absolute emergencies (which this qualified as).

One of us needs to hit Powerball or Mega Millions, soon.

mathnerd
01-22-2016, 08:00 PM
My biggest obstacle is that I can't just buy any old car. I have a kid who uses a wheelchair. I need a van. I really need a van with lifts, but even high milage used vans that have been converted run around $30K. I just ran my credit. It's bad enough with what I've done to it, but there's three items on there that definitely aren't mine. My credit score is below 600. I need to get it up 50 points before my credit union can approve me. If I get those three things off, it'll help, but I don't think it'll help enough.

Right now I'm hoping for a miracle. The special finance guy at the Dodge dealership is looking into things. They have a "new" 2015, base model Grand Caravan on sale for $16K. I can drain the last of my son's SSI backpay account and come up with a $6K down payment, and my current van is worth $1000 as a trade-in, even in the condition it's in. That leaves me with $9k plus taxes and registration to come up with. It's frustrating because that's really not a huge amount for a brand new van, but it seems like it's out of reach.

EricKei
01-22-2016, 10:03 PM
"Insulation levels (http://www.nerdfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/readordie1.jpg)" of books, courtesy of "Read or Die."

DGoddessChardonnay
01-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Not been too bad . . . been either cooking/cleaning up, watching tv w/Mom or in the office when I haven't been peeking outside to see the snowstorm.:)

Aria
01-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Not so good today... I didn't sleep well last night AT ALL but I had myself booked at the gym so I went anyway. Huge mistake. Should have gone back to bed...

Bardmaiden
01-23-2016, 12:32 AM
"Insulation levels (http://www.nerdfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/readordie1.jpg)" of books

Looks like my bedroom! :roll:

Dreamstalker
01-23-2016, 01:22 AM
If I didn't have any bookshelves, that's what my room would look like...my dad's does look like that.

Bardmaiden
01-23-2016, 11:20 PM
Just finished crocheting myself a pair of fingerless gloves :)

WishfulSpirit
01-24-2016, 03:11 AM
Working the evening shift while fighting a cold. It isn't horrible but I have had an interesting night. Some drunk who wanted me to call him a cab (he isn't a guest here but if it gets you off my property I'm happy to do it) and an actual registered guest who comes down to the lobby to argue with invisible people. :eek:

Tama
01-24-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm okay. My amateurishly drawn fan-manga is both harder and easier than I thought to do. My dominant hand is tense and stiff, and I just know it's going to ache like hell in the morning. I was already having wrist pains...what a time to take up drawing!

I have people asking when I'm going to put out another chapter of fanfiction though.

Yeah, the snow has really given me a lot of free time. :lol:

Kanalah
01-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Got the email late last night that I was accepted into our local Pop culture convention.

Yay! Hopefully I can sell some of my awesome quilts!

DGoddessChardonnay
01-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Got the email late last night that I was accepted into our local Pop culture convention.

Sweet.:D

Not much is going on today . . . the sun is out and trying to melt some of this snow away. I'm in the dining room, waiting for lunch to finish cooking in the oven, have chicken drumsticks thawing out for dinner tonight.

And just heard back from my ass man - Grasshopper is opening in the morning, and he'll try to come by and pick me up so I can come into work but I may have to wait until a bit later after the sun comes up and the roads are starting to melt before I can get there (scheduled usually for 6 am) so I may just wait and get up at 5 tomorrow instead of 4 (meaning I can stay up roughly an hour later.)

And there is a Lady GooGoo napping on the table by the mouse pad.:lol:

Chromatix
01-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Looks like my bedroom! :roll:

Substitute computers for the books, and my place sometimes looks like that. :shrug:

RootedPhoenix
01-24-2016, 11:28 PM
*hugs all of you*

Seraph
01-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Grats!! =D

...Rooted, that means you technically hugged me, which means either fire or an abnormal day for you. Meh bad.

RootedPhoenix
01-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Ah, well...migraines are a normal day for me, so maybe an abnormal day will be an awesome one.

Kheldarson
01-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Kabe and I have just spent two days shoveling the driveway. It's basically done, minus the portion that's right around the neighbor's SUV. Because he just shoveled around it and nowhere else. On a shared driveway. Asshole.

*curls into whimpering ball of pain*

Jay 2K Winger
01-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Kabe and I have just spent two days shoveling the driveway. It's basically done, minus the portion that's right around the neighbor's SUV. Because he just shoveled around it and nowhere else. On a shared driveway. Asshole.

*curls into whimpering ball of pain*

I know that feel. Spent most of the last three days shoveling snow. Clearing out around my car, and the front walk, and then this morning again, digging out the snow at the end of the driveway that the plow missed. That was snow about 2 feet deep and more than 6 feet across, and a car length-and-a-half wide.

Fortunately, our next neighbor came over to help out with his little snowblower. That let me get out to go to work today.

But yeah, my back, my hip, my shoulders, my elbows are all killing me.

FUCK YOU, OLD MAN WINTER, GO BACK TO BED.

Aria
01-25-2016, 10:48 PM
The snow is all melting! Tomorrow is going to have a high of 8! Celsius! That's, um... 46 degrees Fahrenheit. You can hate me now is you wish. :D

Sunshine
01-26-2016, 03:39 AM
So....they're forecasting snow for us....hide me?

Jay 2K Winger
01-26-2016, 03:52 AM
So....they're forecasting snow for us....hide me?

I've been saying this all week:

Old Man Winter hit the snooze button a few too many times, and now he's woke up CRANKY.

Dreamstalker
01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Sunny and in the 40s here...which probably means we're gonna get 4 feet of snow on Valentines Day like last year :runaway:

Sunshine
01-28-2016, 03:24 PM
So the snow passed us and hit a town called ft Stockton instead. So thankful for that as my new job is across town and I have no desire to drive that route in the snow/ ice

Valentinian
01-28-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm in Australia, so I'm not having to deal with Snowpocalypse, but we got a massive hailstorm this week that:
- broke the skylight in our bathroom
- shattered the Laserlite over the entire back verandah
- bent the roof space heat vent to the point where it won't open any more
- broke 40+ roof tiles, and
- gave my husband's car an interesting new surface texture

...at about 7pm the day before Australia Day, which made lining up quotes a tad difficult. Aheh. XD

Aria
01-28-2016, 11:46 PM
I'm in Australia, so I'm not having to deal with Snowpocalypse, but we got a massive hailstorm this week that:
- broke the skylight in our bathroom
- shattered the Laserlite over the entire back verandah
- bent the roof space heat vent to the point where it won't open any more
- broke 40+ roof tiles, and
- gave my husband's car an interesting new surface texture

...at about 7pm the day before Australia Day, which made lining up quotes a tad difficult. Aheh. XD

That sounds like what happens to Calgary every, oh, 3 years or so... :( My condolences.

Valentinian
01-29-2016, 11:29 PM
That sounds like what happens to Calgary every, oh, 3 years or so... :( My condolences.

Thanks. :D We're sorting it out OK, and we were already vaguely planning to replace the laserlite "some time soon", so it's not as bad as it could be!

Unless you listen to Second Quote Guy, that is. Y'see, the first guy who came out to quote for repairs was pretty calm about it, sort of "Yeah, we can fix this no problem, here's some $numbers. :)"

The second guy who came out, on the other hand, was all "OH MY GOD this is TERRIBLE you can't just patch this because your roof is in TERRIBLE shape, you need a COMPLETE ROOF RESTORATION and then we'll paint it and blah blah $BIGGER NUMBERS oh and if you accept right now we can give you a discount but if not $EVEN BIGGER NUMBERS also your insurance company probably won't pay for it because they'll look at the state your roof is in and conclude you haven't been doing maintenance. :eek:"

Called the first guy back to see what he would quote for a full roof restoration (which was another thing we were thinking about having done, so we were okay with the idea), and his response was basically "...no? Uh, you don't need that yet? There's not enough moss and stuff up there to worry about, and if you pressure-wash your roof you'll actually damage the tiles. I want your business but I don't want to rip you off. :confused:"

Soooooo yeah guess who we're going with. :angel::lol:

Kogarashi
01-30-2016, 03:53 AM
The second guy who came out, on the other hand, was all "OH MY GOD this is TERRIBLE"

Sounds like someone who went to the Shady Mechanic School of Making Money. You know, the one that suggests tons of repairs and the like you don't need, in the hopes you won't realize that you don't need them?

Valentinian
01-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Sounds like someone who went to the Shady Mechanic School of Making Money. You know, the one that suggests tons of repairs and the like you don't need, in the hopes you won't realize that you don't need them?

He was damn good at it too, he managed to get in all the "OH MY GAWD" implications without actually sounding overhyped. (I, er, may have been paraphrasing for effect. :devil:)

And then after all the decision-making had happened and things were signed, my husband (who was leaving this mostly up to me because he went back to work this week and is kinda exhausted) turned around and told me "Yeah, I heard some stuff about them being kind of shady and trying to over-sell people on stuff they didn't really need, but I didn't want to influence you one way or another." :doh:

HONEY. HONEY LISTEN TO ME. IF YOU ACTUALLY KNOW STUFF RELEVANT TO THE CURRENT SITUATION I WANT YOU TO INFLUENCE ME BEFORE I SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF OUR MONEY FFS.

BlaqueKatt
01-30-2016, 12:23 PM
well waiting on a new debit card, and dispute forms from my bank, because mine was compromised somehow. My sister's partner of the last decade plus, just dumped her for an ex(she lives with him, and thanks to rideshare companies she can't make enough driving cab to rent anywhere).

Oh and I just got a call yesterday that my mom is probably going into hospice care, and I'm 900 miles away. :cry:

So yeah.

lordlundar
01-30-2016, 12:30 PM
He was damn good at it too, he managed to get in all the "OH MY GAWD" implications without actually sounding overhyped. (I, er, may have been paraphrasing for effect. :devil:)

Welcome to the realm of social engineering. The right amount of authority and just the right level of panic and you can make anyone do what you want them to.

RootedPhoenix
02-01-2016, 10:00 AM
*hugs blaquekatt*

AnaKhouri
02-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Well, this morning I was supposed to drop my car off for an oil change/checkup. I would have had to walk up to my son's school to pick him up after, but no big deal, the weather is nice and I like walking. BUT. This morning he is coughing like someone who smoked for 40 years (he is prone to sinus infections). Cancel oil change, keep him home from school and call the pediatrician. Get an appointment at 12:45. 12:30 get in car with Khan and Mal, and it doesn't start. Cancel doc appointment, call auto care place. They close at 5 but I can have it towed later, they have a drop box for keys. Urgent Care is open until 8, I can take kid there tonight. I call husband and he immediately starts freaking out and asking me what I want him to doooo (it's hard for him to make decisions sometimes) so I tell him to be home by 6, which should give me time to call AAA and get the car towed, and take kid to the UC. I feel terrible because he has a lab meeting on Friday (he usually works 70+ hours the weeks he has lab meeting) but what else can we do? Hopefully the car will be fixed by Wednesday morning and we can pick it up before kid goes to school.

Also today I noticed my cat has pulled tons of fur off her right haunch and leg, I need to get her a vet appointment but I cringe at the thought of chasing Mal around a vet office. Hopefully they can get my car done in two days so I can book her in, Internet says likely cause is dermatological. I'd hate for her to be itching or hurting any longer than she has to be.

Lady Legira
02-02-2016, 10:12 PM
So would it be weird to mention my lover to my partner who currently doesn't know his own name? Partner is epileptic and has seizures which cause retrograde amnesia. He remembering more about me and the context but not about himself yet. He knows about my lover when he's ok but it just seems a bit odd at the moment :lol: (I'm poly bi in a V currently)

In other news he's less depressed because he can't remember who he is. Silver lining I guess... :D Also my life continues to get weirder.

Dreamstalker
02-06-2016, 01:28 PM
As part of the Great Goodwill Purge of 2016, mom went through my gaming stuff in the living room. And got rid of some consoles and games. I'm not too mad about the Dreamcast (I have 2, the one she took was a recent yardsale find and actually didn't work) and I can replace a few of the newer games, but...

...my pristine copy of Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness is now missing :pissed: :cry: "You need to keep better track of your stuff."...noted, but not helpful. The game was on the shelf, now it's not. Interestingly, that's the only game I own that I do not have the respective console...so because I don't/can't play it it was OK to donate?
Welcome to the realm of social engineering. The right amount of authority and just the right level of panic and you can make anyone do what you want them to.
I almost got Shithead to tell me everything I needed to know about accessing the admin rights for SCO. Setting was an error that he had never seen before; I had and knew exactly how to fix it (not complex at all) but wanted to see if he knew enough about the system as he claimed (could he figure out that I was asking to do stuff that a non-tech should have no reason to be asking about). He had the helpdesk on the phone walking him through the process to get root privileges, and was relaying the information to me...then D showed up and put the brakes on that. I could have not only used that information to accomplish something Shithead wanted me to do anyway, but also could have done some damage if I wanted to. Now I have the operating manuals, but nothing to let me use them.

Food Lady
02-16-2016, 03:44 AM
I guess I'll join. I've been in pain for most of the day and it's at the point where I feel like taking a second opiate. I rarely take them and if I do it's one or a half of one. I am so glad I'm off tomorrow.

DGoddessChardonnay
02-23-2016, 12:33 AM
I guess I'll join. I've been in pain for most of the day and it's at the point where I feel like taking a second opiate. I rarely take them and if I do it's one or a half of one. I am so glad I'm off tomorrow.

If I take a Tramadol in the evening, I'm up and down half the night.:( But I need to take the Etodolac so at least my shoulders will stop burning like the muscles are tearing apart. Damn bursitis.:cry:

And as soon as I finish my chocolate cookies and milk, it's off to bed. My alarm is set for 4 a.m. so I can get to work by 6.

Is it the weekend yet?

Food Lady
02-23-2016, 01:53 AM
If I take a Tramadol in the evening, I'm up and down half the night.
Huh. It knocks me out. Sometimes I have a weird dream, but that happens without a trammie also.

Chromatix
02-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Remember that bike trouble I mentioned? It's fixed now. The shop opened the freewheel and cleaned it.

The same shop, and the same freewheel, which I'd asked to open and service back when I had the winter tyres fitted - y'know, while they had the wheel off.

Yeah - they didn't charge me for not fixing it, but it *did* cause me a heck of a lot of trouble because they didn't listen to my instructions the first time. Or the second time.

Aria
02-28-2016, 11:09 PM
I managed to get some New Balance shoes at Sports Check for 39.95 even though they were marked 59.95! SCORE!

Other than that, I'm a bit fatigued today but I've got a fair amount of cleaning done. Spring cleaning, wee.

Victory Sabre
02-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Played poker last night and took 5th, for a gift certificate at the VFW. Sitting home today, remembering that just a short week ago I was in paradise, no, not Key West, but South Padre Island. It was in the upper 70s there. Back home it's low 30s (though yesterday pushed 60).

So looking forward to summer, after my brief taste of it.