View Full Version : Deadpool

Rapscallion
02-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Saw it last night.

They got it right.

Rapscallion

Tama
02-11-2016, 07:50 AM
How's the fourth wall stuff? I haven't seen it yet. They do that pretty well?

mjr
02-11-2016, 10:53 AM
The trailers make this look incredibly funny, too.

Though I've heard some people are complaining that it shouldn't be rated R.

KuariKaydrith
02-11-2016, 10:59 AM
The only people I've heard complaining about it being rated R are the parents who want to take their minor children to see it. Their argument is that their kids are fans of Deadpool...but I can't help but wonder if those kids (and parents) have read any of the comics because he's not exactly a family friendly character!

mjr
02-11-2016, 11:09 AM
but I can't help but wonder if those kids (and parents) have read any of the comics because he's not exactly a family friendly character!

I've heard that, too. I'm not familiar with the comic. I just want to see the movie because it looks intriguing to me, based on the trailers.

From what I can tell, he's an "anti-hero".

Jay 2K Winger
02-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Friends and I won't be seeing it until Tuesday, probably, since we'll be at Katsucon all weekend.

KuariKaydrith
02-11-2016, 10:38 PM
A friend of mine is currently watching the movie. Before the movie started he updated his FB status to:

"Nothing like watching deadpool next to a seven year old.... Seriously?! I hope you don't regret this, parental figure."

This blows my mind, but that's the problem when you can buy your tickets from a computer kiosk instead of a live person. I'm surprised that somebody with the theatre didn't go in before the movie started to make sure there were no kids in there.

Zellie Crescent
02-11-2016, 11:08 PM
:doh: How much do you wanna bet the parent is gonna complain about how it wasn't kid friendly and demand their money back.

lordlundar
02-12-2016, 12:27 AM
I've heard that, too. I'm not familiar with the comic. I just want to see the movie because it looks intriguing to me, based on the trailers.

From what I can tell, he's an "anti-hero".

No, not really. He is as he is labelled. "The merc with a mouth." His loyalty is tied to his paycheck and whatever goes on in that screwey brain of his, nothing more. He's been considered a villain as much as a hero.

Tama
02-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Famous for fourth-wall breakage, and killing not only the entire Marvel Universe (thanks new friendly voice in my head! *lol*) but also himself.

jedimaster91
02-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Though I've heard some people are complaining that it shouldn't be rated R.

I'm only cursorily familiar with Deadpool, but when the movie was announced, I knew there was no way it wouldn't be rated R. Anything less would do a disservice to the character. Parents who allow their children to watch inappropriate media (and then wonder where their kids learned it :rolleyes:) drive me crazy.

mjr
02-12-2016, 04:58 PM
No, not really. He is as he is labelled. "The merc with a mouth." His loyalty is tied to his paycheck and whatever goes on in that screwey brain of his, nothing more. He's been considered a villain as much as a hero.

Somehow, that seems to make it better. Don't know why.

April
02-12-2016, 05:13 PM
My teenagers want to see it. I'll probably watch it first. I don't worry about language (I curse like a sailor) or even violence, as they are pretty well grounded. but I heard there was a lot of sex in it. I want to see it, even though I'm not really familiar with him because it looks funny/intriguing

EricKei
02-12-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm not familiar with the comic.Well, look at it this way: In the comics, he likes to chat with his best buddies -- namely, the little yellow and white narration boxes. He is fully aware, and accepting, of the fact that he is a character in a work of fiction. IIRC, he's even able to see the black frames around each comic panel, and he can interact with/move past them at will. Keep in mind that this is a Marvel movie...which means Stan Lee is in there somewhere. Those who have seen it, please don't spoil that, in particular ^_^ I'm looking forward to it.

...But yes. From what I know of the comic and the trailer: Expect an abundance of bloody violence, sex (with the ever-lovely and always gracious Morena Baccarin, aka Inara from Firefly/Serenity), plenty of foul language. Lots of action, and he may be the only character capable of matching smartass quips with Spider-Man :angel:

I NEED to see this movie.

dendawg
02-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Here's a beginner primer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24EOBWwoqT4) about Deadpool

Akasa
02-13-2016, 02:48 AM
The Stan Lee cameo is totally worth it!
There's an extended sex scene, full frontal nudity both male and female as far as sex goes.

I was happy there were no kids in my showing.

Aria
02-13-2016, 05:04 AM
I heard there's also a naked fight scene.

When I heard that I thought, yeah, that's Deadpool alright. :D

Kogarashi
02-13-2016, 06:31 AM
IIRC, he's even able to see the black frames around each comic panel, and he can interact with/move past them at will.

Also demonstrated, more or less, in LEGO Marvel Superheroes, where his attack combos finish off with him taking HUD elements (like the icon that lets you know about quests and the like) and hitting people with them.

I'm honestly not surprised the movie is rated R, given what I know about the character. And I will never understand parents who let their kids watch/play/etc. things with language and violence and then wonder where they get it from.

Akasa
02-14-2016, 02:25 AM
Best line of the movie IMO:

"What's my name?"
"Oh, I'll spell it out for you."

Means nothing until you see the movie, so pretty sure I didn't spoil anything.

Krandor
02-14-2016, 04:22 AM
My teenagers want to see it. I'll probably watch it first. I don't worry about language (I curse like a sailor) or even violence, as they are pretty well grounded. but I heard there was a lot of sex in it. I want to see it, even though I'm not really familiar with him because it looks funny/intriguing

There is. There actually is a whole sex montage and they went a few places in that montage I wasn't expecting and I know and am familiar with deadpool.

Overall loved the movie. Hilarious and got deadpool right. Not for kids.. no way shape manner or form.

Lurking Sockpuppet
02-14-2016, 10:38 PM
I saw it for the second time today. Lots of kids there under the age of ten. I am convinced the parents are insane. I begrudgingly let my 16 1/2 year old go see it. She voluntarily covers her eyes during certain scenes.

Jetfire
02-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Saw it over the weekend. No kids that I noticed for the late afternoon show.

They got Deadpool right; Ryan Reynolds clearly loves the character, and it shows. Oh god did it ever show. :)

The credits at the start are a hoot. I didn't even notice them at first because the first thing I saw was a StarBux cup with "Rob L" on it, and I was LOLing at that to start, then I noticed the actual credits. :)

The rest of the movie was hilarious and fun all the way through. Not only did Ryan nail the character, but Blind Al and Weasel were great too.

The fights were fun too. Sure we saw most of the Highway fight in the trailers, but put in order in the movie, it works even better. And the DP vs Colossus fight had me laughing so hard I missed some of the dialog jokes. :)

And then there was the Zamboni. I'm saying no more. ;)

If you're even a passing fan of Deadpool, or comics in general, it is well worth it indeed.

*Edit* And the 4th wall was left shattered in pieces over all the breakages it was done.

"You know I can hear everything you are sayink."
"I'm not talking to you."

KuariKaydrith
02-15-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm hoping to see it tomorrow after work :) I wanted to see it opening night but I was so under the weather that I pretty much just crawled into bed and stayed there. And then I wanted to see it after my shift this past Saturday as it was due to start just as I was getting off work (I was working that day at a mall with a theater playing this movie) but the weather had other ideas and I would have been screwed for getting home as the buses came off the road before the movie would have ended. As it was, my connector bus was doing it's last run of the day when I caught it to get home.

Zellie Crescent
02-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Me and Bill saw it last night, it was awesome! We're gonna most likely go see it again it was that good, hopefully next time there won't be any kids there. Oh, just a word of warning be careful if you get anything to eat or drink so you don't choke on it laughing.

Kheldarson
02-16-2016, 12:03 AM
Saw it with Kabe tonight. Sooo awesome!

Of course, the fact my mom (a very conservative figure) saw it first with my dad and youngest brother (17), just made it all the more hilarious :devil:

Kaylyn
02-16-2016, 12:45 AM
Oh, just a word of warning be careful if you get anything to eat or drink so you don't choke on it laughing.

I totally spilled half my popcorn laughing about five minutes into the movie over the "down under" comment. I don't know why I found it THAT hilarious!

Kittish
02-16-2016, 05:08 AM
"What's my name?"

"Let me spell that out for you."

Love how he dotted the i.

Javarod
02-16-2016, 05:43 AM
Saw it yesterday, in fact just a hair under 12 hours ago. Like everyone said, great movie. I'm not real familiar with Deadpool, only because i was never much for the X books back when i read comics. Oh, and i like their version of Negasonic Teenage Warhead who apparently was basically a throw away character with a different power set in the comic. Notable is the fact that she watches Deadpool escape in from Colossus and doesn't say anything.

Also i think it would've been fun ifn they snuck the actor that voiced Colossus ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1292973 for those interested) into other scenes.

Any how, a great time was had by this pony, !! rating, highly recommended for all but the easily offended. Ah hell, i'll send them to it too, especially if i can come and see their reaction.

Jay 2K Winger
02-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Finally saw the movie.

They nailed it.

If you haven't seen it yet, go see it. Do it. Do it now. FASTER!

Immortal1982
02-17-2016, 11:33 AM
This was the most visited vile vicious evil and offensive superhero film I've ever seen. 10 outta 10.

Kittish
02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
This was the most visited vile vicious evil and offensive superhero film I've ever seen. 10 outta 10.

But... it isn't a superhero film! He says it himself, several times. He is NOT a hero. He doesn't wanna be a hero. Try to tell him "You're my hero" and he'll tell you no.

EricKei
02-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Also demonstrated, more or less, in LEGO Marvel Superheroes, where his attack combos finish off with him taking HUD elements (like the icon that lets you know about quests and the like) and hitting people with them.
Same basic idea in MVC3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfn8uDxtXUM) ^_^ Most of his quips/taunts/pre- and post-match quotes are along the same lines. At least one has him talking directly to the makers of the game, and another, to the player.

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-18-2016, 12:55 AM
I read through Cable and Deadpool back in... I think it was 2010. There was a rumor going around the Deadpool fan sites that a film was in the works, with Ryan Reynolds doing a better version of his character from X-Men Orgins.

It's the first time I've seen an internet rumor turn out to be true.

And it's so good! What seemed to be a lovely daydream, and it's real! So happy...

Bardmaiden
02-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Finally got to see Deadpool, first attempt (which would have been valentines day) was called off due to me and my partner both coming down with chest infections :(

But it was totally worth the wait! Really enjoyed it and all the 4th and 16th wall breaking ;)

Jay 2K Winger
02-24-2016, 09:19 PM
The second I saw the opening credits, I thought, "We're gonna be fine."

And I was right. Totally worth it.

Jetfire
02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Finally got to see Deadpool, first attempt (which would have been valentines day) was called off due to me and my partner both coming down with chest infections :(

But it was totally worth the wait! Really enjoyed it and all the 4th and 16th wall breaking ;)

With the amount of laughing I did in the movie, I suspect that seeing it with chest infections would probably have been deadly. :)

Bardmaiden
02-27-2016, 10:21 AM
I saw it for the second time today. Lots of kids there under the age of ten.
Okay so maybe a U.S. Peep can answer this in the UK Deadpool is rated a 15 and as per the BBFC - No-one under 15 is allowed to see a 15 film at the cinema or buy/rent a 15 rated video. 15 rated works are not suitable for children under 15 years of age.

So why are little kids in an R rated film in the U.S.?

Ophbalance
02-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Bad parents?

Lurking Sockpuppet
02-27-2016, 03:06 PM
With an R rating anyone under the age of 18 can see the movie if accompanied by an adult. The adult acepts responsibility for the child. In other words, bad parents.

lordlundar
02-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Okay so maybe a U.S. Peep can answer this in the UK Deadpool is rated a 15 and as per the BBFC - No-one under 15 is allowed to see a 15 film at the cinema or buy/rent a 15 rated video. 15 rated works are not suitable for children under 15 years of age.

So why are little kids in an R rated film in the U.S.?

North American film ratings are not legally required to be enforced, they're voluntary with a less than stellar track record. Whereas in other countries there is a legal enforcement on ratings (up here in Canada it varies by province), in the U.S. any enforcement is up to the theater or theater chain. To add the R rating in the U.S. is not the same as in other countries. For example it is the equivalent of 18A here in Canada but only for the age of 17, aka adult or accompanied by an adult. Your 15 rating is absolutely no one under the age restriction and is enforced by law by comparison.

For a film like Deadpool with it not in the "adults only" range (which was the relatively recent addition of the NC-17 rating), the voluntary enforcement of it, the outright terrible track record of said enforcement, and the popularity of the film has pretty much ended up with the result of young teenagers and even younger to be allowed in unsupervised.

With an R rating anyone under the age of 18 can see the movie if accompanied by an adult. The adult acepts responsibility for the child. In other words, bad parents.
Off by a year. It's 17, but a large number of theaters just waive it away to avoid hassle.

Bardmaiden
02-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Thank you for all your informative answers, it just popped up in conversation the other night and I was wondering about the difference in processes for our respective countries. :)

Kogarashi
02-28-2016, 01:53 AM
There's also the detail where those NC-17 (which actually means No Children under 17) movies aren't going to get shown in most theaters or advertised to the widest audience. So a lot of film companies will edit their movie down until it gets an R rating from the MPAA so they can actually try to reach as many people as possible.

Jay 2K Winger
02-28-2016, 06:37 AM
Spent the day going to movies ("Triple 9" and "Hail, Caesar!") and still had some time to kill after seeing those, so I saw Deadpool again.

Theater was still pretty dang full.

As I was leaving, I heard some tweenagers chatting and one of them said "Deadpool's my new favorite superhero."

I turned around said, "No, he's not a hero!"

Tween thought for a moment and said, "Deadpool's my new favorite vigilante."

I nodded. "That's better."

Ghel
03-02-2016, 01:05 PM
I finally saw Deadpool last night. As I posted on FB, it's my new favorite (non)superhero movie.

Nunavut Pants
03-07-2016, 11:26 PM
I saw it yesterday evening. (About 11 hours ago, actually!) Finally. Got together with a couple of buddies, one of whom had seen it already, and enjoyed the heck out of it!

I am not much of a comics/superhero fan. I'm aware of the ones that have made it into pop culture, and I have some exposure to the various continua through friends who are collectors, but it's never really been my thing. I laughed my ass off--definitely would not recommend the movie to anyone with breathing problems!! Or who is offended by movie sex of quite a few different kinds. (I was terribly pleased to see all of Morena Baccarin, myself; she is even nicer to look at than I would have guessed from Firefly!)

I wish the theater folks luck cleaning up all of the shattered pieces of the fourth wall. ;) I liked the "Hey, breaking the fourth wall while breaking the fourth wall, here--that's like, sixteen walls!"

And spelling things out was very funny.

The worst part, to me, was the way that Morena was more or less unhurt by a particular fall. It kind of broke the suspension of disbelief for me. But I was able to get my head back into enjoying the movie after that, so it wasn't too bad.

BrenDAnn
03-19-2016, 07:48 AM
I saw it Wednesday night, with my oldest nephew. Before you ask, yes, said nephew is an adult. I wouldn't take a child to Deadpool, by any means. That said, I loved it! I so hope a sequel (or two, or ten) is in the works! ETA: Like NP said in the post above mine, I'm not much of a superhero fan, either. Truly, I went in not knowing much about Deadpool himself, and came out absolutely in love with the character.

TheSHAD0W
03-19-2016, 11:04 PM
I think this was mentioned earlier; I'll post a link, in case anyone was wondering how Deadpool kills the Marvel universe (http://imgur.com/gallery/h5uik). (NSFW, not for children, at least as violent as the movie.)