PDA

View Full Version : What are your little pleasures?

Aragarthiel
04-27-2016, 04:19 AM
I'm curious what little things everyone enjoys. A few of mine are:

-When a shirt's been sitting in the laundry basket for a day (or two... what? I'm a mom and a college student!) and you pick it up and it still smells like your amazing laundry detergent.
-When you wipe off a dry erase board and the markers don't leave "ghost" markings behind.
-Slipper boots.
-That moment after you finish a book series that's officially over and you have to sit for a moment and let it sink in that it's over. It's both a sense of finality and relief.

Food Lady
04-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Oh, someone started a thread like this on another board I frequent. These threads are fun. One of mine is my morning mocha. I have dessert for breakfast. I have a cappuccino maker and I use whole milk and dark Ghiradelli chocolate and natural/dutched blend cocoa in it. Sometimes I add a splash of cream or some orange extract.

mjr
04-27-2016, 11:07 AM
A fresh pair of socks right out of the package.

Kittish
04-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Snuggles with Mister Kitteh when I go to bed. He tucks me in then snuggles in next to me.

A piece of really good chocolate. If it's a lovely really dark chocolate, I'll stick a small piece to the roof of my mouth and let it melt and basically breathe chocolate fumes for the next hour.

The first pee of the day (sorry if it sounds gross, but you asked).

Lace Neil Singer
04-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Clean sheets day. Yes, I hate changing the sheets on my bed, but I love the way that clean sheets feel and smell. :)

Aria
04-27-2016, 03:24 PM
A good snuggle with my cat. :) So cuddly.

A piece of Godiva chocolate in the evening. Just one, but I savor it. Or any kind of chocolate really.

Walking to the fancy grocery - it's a nice half-hour walk, one way - and getting a seaweed salad and a green tea and eating it in the cafe. Or a mini-macaroon. :) It's a pleasant way to start the day.

MoonCat
04-28-2016, 03:35 AM
Taking a walk on break in the afternoon. Even when it's cold. As long as there's no ice. Just getting out of the office, away from people, breathing in fresh air (more or less) and looking at the water and the trees.

Getting an iced capp at Timmy Ho's - with a shot of espresso (makes it taste like coffee ice cream!).

Snuggling cats.

Sharing an in-joke with someone.

Listening to the birds sing, especially robins and cardinals.

Sunshine
04-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Watching lil Ray play her bassoon, the first coffee of the day, MissyRed's chicken Paprikash, my puppeh wanting belly rubs, new book-comic-movie day.

paperfiend
04-28-2016, 01:22 PM
- Soy chai latte.
- The quiet house at 5:30 AM before anyone else gets up.
- A spinach dip sandwich on a croissant, and chocolate milk to drink (this became my comfort food meal in college, thank you local upscale grocery store!)
- Freshly vacuumed carpet.

CyberLurch
04-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Watching a big thunderstorm roll in - the dark clouds, that calm and strange smell just before.

An ice cream, or cherry slushie, on a hot summer day.

Going for a walk through the park with my sweetie. Especially on a crisp autumn afternoon.

I know. I'm such a sap.

Aragarthiel
04-28-2016, 04:48 PM
that calm and strange smell just before.

When I lived in Arizona, that smell (actually called petrichor) was something I loved about every storm- I think it was the large amount of dust in the air that made it so common. But here in Georgia we don't get it much, and even then, it's weak and fleeting. Last night, on my way home from class, it started to rain and my husband had his window cracked (it keeps the windshield from steaming up and he doesn't care if he gets a bit wet), so I spent a good ten minutes surrounded by the very strong smell of rain.

I was a very happy girl.

dawnfire
04-28-2016, 11:16 PM
lying in bed , listening to a storm
uninterrupted shower

XCashier
04-29-2016, 02:03 AM
When I lived in Arizona, that smell (actually called petrichor) was something I loved about every storm- I think it was the large amount of dust in the air that made it so common.
There's also the scent from the creosote bush (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrea_tridentata) in Arizona. The whole plant exhibits a characteristic odor of creosote, from which the common name derives. In the regions where it grows its smell is often associated with the "smell of rain".

I do remember one year when we went four straight months without rain. It was horribly hot, the air was dusty and stunk of pollution and overheated asphalt. Then a big rainstorm hit. My neighbors were standing on their porches, watching the rain and smiling happily. And afterwards, it was so pleasantly cool, the air was fresh and smelled of pine and creosote bush. It was lovely. :)

Racket_Man
04-29-2016, 05:01 AM
Watching a big thunderstorm roll in - the dark clouds, that calm and strange smell just before.

Same here but decades ago when I still lived with my parents especially at night. when I was older I used to just sit out on the front porch and watch it rain.

Now during the Spring and Summer I get to be out in the "heart of the storm" drivin around slingin pizza, BUT if the storm happens early enough late afternoon/early evening I get to see RAINBOWS all the time.

CyberLurch
04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Same here but decades ago when I still lived with my parents especially at night. when I was older I used to just sit out on the front porch and watch it rain.

I still do that. I live in a metropolitan area now, but the house has a porch and I love to sit outside and just watch it rain. We don't get the spectacular weather very often that I saw when I lived in Iowa, though. More's the pity.

Becks
04-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Warm socks.
Having one of my three cats deciding they want to take a nap with me.
Getting out of work early.

Food Lady
04-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Having one of my three cats deciding they want to take a nap with me.

😍 🙌 Do the cats ever take a nap with the warm socks?

AnaKhouri
04-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Jumping in puddles. My kids enjoy this too, so it works out well for everyone.

When I have a writing problem I am worrying at like a terrier with a rat, then I back off for a while and then, after hours or sometimes days, something snaps together in my mind and the answer appears (sure my subconscious has been working on it all that time, but it seems miraculous in the moment).

Related, when I get royalties for one of my pieces. It's never much but it's satisfying to know you're getting paid for your hard work.

Becks
04-29-2016, 06:50 PM
😍 🙌 Do the cats ever take a nap with the warm socks?

If I don't put the laundry away right away, yes.
My cats are brats...all three of them.

HotelMinion
04-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Snuggling in a ball underneath a cozy blanket. Bonus if the blanket is warm out of a dryer and it's cold out.
Smelling Kitty's orange coat. Cats just smell so nice, or is it just me???? ^_^

Akasa
04-30-2016, 07:29 PM
The sound of rain on the tin roof
Baja Blast Mtn Dew
Starting a new book

Aria
04-30-2016, 11:59 PM
Snuggling in a ball underneath a cozy blanket. Bonus if the blanket is warm out of a dryer and it's cold out.
Smelling Kitty's orange coat. Cats just smell so nice, or is it just me???? ^_^

Cats really smell nice, provided they haven't JUST washed themselves. Then the odor is a bit strong. But mostly they smell marvelous.

DGoddessChardonnay
05-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Clean sheets day. Yes, I hate changing the sheets on my bed, but I love the way that clean sheets feel and smell. :)

I don't mind changing my bed . . . in fact I do this every Saturday (my major house cleaning day unless Mom and I have previously planned to go shopping) and fresh sheets feel so good . . . especially after I've had a shower and shaved/washed my hair. Just feels so refreshing.:)

Other things I like:

Hazelnut creamer in my coffee first thing in the morning

Relaxing outside on my deck on a warm summer evening

Listening to the rain outside my window

Having snuggle time w/one of the kitties

Food Lady
05-02-2016, 12:55 AM
Netflix. I'm using it for the first time today. I hadn't previously found stuff I'd wanted to watch (was looking for specific older movies that aren't available to stream).

Aria
05-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Walking to the fancy grocery store in the gorgeous weather, buying some produce and eating a zucchini in the cafe.

I don't know why I enjoyed that so much, but I did. :)

EricKei
05-04-2016, 03:05 AM
Watching a big thunderstorm roll in - the dark clouds, that calm and strange smell just before.Generally speaking, that would be the aroma of whatever areas it had recently passed over. Back in New Orleans, that generally meant the more pleasant smells of the swamp ^_^

I still love the sound of rain pinging off of a tin roof.

Victory Sabre
05-04-2016, 03:06 AM
Trying a new beer that I've never had before.

Erinesque
05-08-2016, 10:56 AM
I love drawing particularly, as I can maintain absolute control over the medium; I'm very particular about the lines being sharp and clear. I also have a weird enjoyment of alphabetization (is that a word?). I like to compile a list of names in random order (the more the better, and the more unusual the better), and then take that jumbled list (always written in a specific order of colored Sharpies) and put them in alphabetical order. I then usually like to get the meanings and origins of each name. I guess I'm weird.

Food Lady
05-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Right now mine is a mixed berry greek yogurt smoothie.

EricKei
05-08-2016, 06:05 PM
On a nice, crisp autumn afternoon, I enjoy few things more than driving my enemies before me, and hearing the lamentations of their partners (Hey, it's the 21st century -- I'm not uncivilized! ;))

Aragarthiel
05-28-2016, 02:14 AM
Another one:

The foam at the top of an ice cream float.

protege
05-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Nothing like pulling the cellophane wrapper off a brand-new model kit :)

Trixie
05-29-2016, 02:52 AM
Hearing a song you forgot and remembering how much it meant to you.

Rosco the Iroc
05-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Sitting up in bed in the morning and putting my feet on the floor.

If anyone doesn't know how the racks are on a navy ship I'll post a pic. So after 20 year of that. I love being able to just get up normally.

AccountingDrone
05-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Hm, many of us have the same pleasures.
Petrichlor, definitely.
The whole fresh sheets/fresh washed and shaved/whatever body [cool in summer, warm in winter]
Sitting somewhere safe and watching thunderstorms with lightening
Dawn from the other side and sitting watching it with a cup of tea then going to bed
Laying in bed with my husband, snuggling so I can hear his heartbeat
Eating - my absolute meal is a lobster and an artichoke with drawn butter, and a piece of cheesecake for dessert [no fruit, basic NY cheesecake] and a cup of Cuban coffee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_espresso) [Bustelo Cortadito]

AccountingDrone
05-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Sitting up in bed in the morning and putting my feet on the floor.

If anyone doesn't know how the racks are on a navy ship I'll post a pic. So after 20 year of that. I love being able to just get up normally.

LOL my husband just agreed [20 years sub fleet]
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/aruvqan/P1301143_zpske4iivdw.jpg

notalwaysright
05-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Walking into my apartment after work or school and I'm alone and it's quiet. Other than my cat meowing.

When I first start playing a video game. Bonus if it's either a game which I instantly enjoy (no steep learning curve) or a game I've played through before and have warm fuzzy memories.

Getting something delivered.

Watching my cat stretch while he's half-asleep, and he makes this sound like a combination sigh of a sigh and trill.

Becks
05-30-2016, 01:55 AM
Major League Baseball (sort of lol) at Miller Park.