PDA

View Full Version : Job Advice - HELP please!


Quitbuggingmeandgoaway
05-31-2016, 04:56 PM
Hey all - long time no post. Been very busy lately - my wife and I are relocating to North Carolina for better opportunity this summer. She's found her dream position. As most of you know, i'm a math teacher. I've had two HS offers but am hoping for a college position. I interviewed for the college position this past Tuesday, and they told me they would let me know by the end of next (this) week. Honestly, I did stumble on a few questions they asked me but I did the same thing on the initial interview but got called back for a second one with the VP. They informed me their last interview would be on Friday the 27th and then discuss it with the higher-ups. I'm not sure what to think but here's my dilemma.

I asked one of my HS's for an extension on time, and they turned me down and filled the position so that offer is now out of the question. I do have another HS offer but am wanting the college decision sooner or later. I don't want to lose the other HS offer but I really want the college job. Would it be unprofessional to email the people I interviewed with and ask what the status is, and tell them I have to give an answer to my "backup" position? What would you all do in this situation? Honestly, the college job is a dream one for me, but I can't keep the HS nearby on the line. What would you do? Help please!

csquared
06-01-2016, 12:46 AM
It is always risky to let a potential employer know that you have an outstanding offer (or waiting on another offer).

If they really want you, it may make them pony up an offer, quicker.

If they really don't want you, they may be nice enough to tell you that you should take the other offer.

They could also think that you are trying to bluff your way to a better offer, and "call the bluff", thereby ruining a potential.

It is not a bad idea to contact them, thank them for the interview and ask for a status "making sure that you have not missed an email from them."

April
06-01-2016, 12:51 AM
I'm a big one on "in person" if you have a way to contact them that way. I would call, thank them for their time and ask for status, very politely. I would not mention the other job. If they ghost you, than you may have to accept the other position

aqutalion
06-01-2016, 12:51 AM
I'd ask them what the status is. You don't necessarily have to mention you've had another offer, just that you're checking in.

Quitbuggingmeandgoaway
06-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Thank you all so much for the help! You all rock! The first HS job offer I didn't think was very good, so it's really no loss. I'm going to call and ask. I'm not really considering the HS job a "consolation prize" so to speak, but I see college as the dreamier offer.