PDA

View Full Version : New kitty!

MadMike
06-12-2016, 02:26 AM
As some of you know, my wife and I volunteer with a certain rescue organization for cats. Other than one problem customer and an equally stupid store manager we had to deal with awhile back (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=110523), it's been great. The only problem is that we want to take all the kitties home, especially the ones that no one seems to want. And it's really sad when we hear that one has died, or one gets returned. Sometimes the return is no one's fault -- the owner passed away, someone had a baby and the baby turned out to be allergic, etc. But sometimes the reasons are stupid -- the cat gets into everything (that's what cats do!), or they just had no patience. Still, returning them is preferable to just dumping them off somewhere.

This story is about a cat that got returned not once, but twice. He was one of the first cats we met when we started volunteering over two years ago. After two years, his owner returned him because he was "attacking people." The manager wasn't really buying it, because he had never done that to her. Either they were full of shit, or someone was picking with him. Even the nicest animal in the world will eventually turn on you if you pick with them too much.

Thankfully, he was only there for a few weeks before someone else took him. But sadly, that arrangement didn't last. He was returned again for the same reason. The manager told us that the person who took him lived with her grandmother, and she thinks the grandmother didn't want him around, so she used that as an excuse. Sometimes people suck. :mad:

This put the manager in a bit of a bind. She was worried about bringing him back in the store, because she was afraid that he'd never get adopted since he was returned twice for supposedly attacking people (they have to disclose that sort of thing.) But she kept him at her house for awhile, and he wasn't doing anything like that, even when she accidentally stepped on him. She even took him to the vet to have him checked out, and the vet even tried to make him attack him, but it just wasn't happening. She did bring him into the store a few Saturdays and had him in one of the temporary cages she keeps in front of the adoption area and then takes home when she leaves. He seemed friendly enough towards us, although there was a time or two he decided he had enough attention and swatted at us. But I'd hardly call that "attacking." If anything, he seemed kind of sad.

Two weeks ago, we went in to volunteer, and he was in one of the outside cages again. We were petting him, and he was very friendly. He even let me pick him up, and flex his paws and purred while I was holding him. We finally broke down and adopted him ourselves. And there are certain perks to volunteering. We still had to pay the same adoption fee as everyone else, and had to fill out an application, but that was really just a formality. What we didn't have to do was wait a week while they checked our vet and our references. We took him home with us as soon as we were done cleaning and spending time with the other cats.

He cried on the way home, but then most cats don't like being in a car or a carrier. When I came in the door with the carrier, our other cats all scattered. I brought him downstairs to the laundry area of the basement and let him out. That's where we keep the litterboxes, so I always let the cats out there when I bring one home for the first time. Most cats run and hide, but he walked around and explored. There was some hissing between him and the other cats at first, but that's calmed down for the most part. The only holdout is our one cat who is very attached to me and doesn't like to share my lap or my attention, but even they're starting to tolerate each other.

He follows me all around the house, climbs up in my lap, takes naps on the couch with me and even climbs in bed with us sometimes. We volunteered again today, and the manager was very happy to hear that he was happy in his new home. :)

Aragarthiel
06-12-2016, 03:40 AM
Oh my, a black kitty. They steal my heart immediately. :)

Give some scritchin's for me.

Sunshine
06-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Awww what a beautiful cat!!!!

EricKei
06-12-2016, 01:56 PM
"Aaaaigh! No closeups! I haven't put my face on yet!"

^_^

I'd bet dollar to doughnuts that the "attacking" thing was just the 100% typical cat behavior you mentioned -- swatting at you when they feel that playtime is over. At least, I hope so. If he "attacked" them regularly, it may have been in retaliation for their aggressive behavior. I'm glad to see the furball has a proper home now!

protege
06-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Kitteh!

I too have a feeling that the "attacking" was pretty minor. I know that Baxter loves to play and cuddle. However, if he decides that he's tired, he will bite your hand. Not hard, just enough to say "knock it off, asshole."

Dreamstalker
06-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Ooh what a pretty boy :love: So glad that he has a forever home.

Both our cats used to tell us when playtime was over, and I could see where a non-cat person might see it as hostile. Some people also just don't like black cats :shrug:

Akasa
06-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Oh! He's lovely!

Food Lady
06-12-2016, 06:29 PM
black kittehs=<3

XCashier
06-13-2016, 02:46 AM
Pretty shiny black kitty! :love: Thank you for giving him a forever home. :yourock:

MoonCat
06-13-2016, 04:40 AM
Beautiful boy!

Kittish
06-13-2016, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if that pretty boy's "attacking" didn't turn out to be what my own Mister Kitteh does with me- wrap front paws around my wrist and gently bunny kick me with his back feet (no claws, especially if I flatten my arm along his body so he can kick with his heels) and some light wrestling and nipping on my hand. It's his version of a hug.

bhskittykatt
06-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Yay kitty!

pudddykat
06-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Black kitteh! My mom and dad have a 18 year old black kitteh. I call him my black teddy bear. He adopted us two weeks after our 14 year old cat crossed the rainbow bridge due to cancer. That was my senior year of high school. Getting stiffer and slower but still a cuddly teddy bear. His little brother (6 years or less) part bengal rescue on the other hand is a big baby. His meow translates to "Oh noes they are going to love on me. AGH." But he doesn't swat. We explained it is his fault for being a juicy striped kitteh with a spotted tummeh.

Aria
06-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Attacking? Psh. You have not LIVED until you've been entirely into what you're doing on the computer and two paws rest on your head and start to KNEAD. (ow) I have a very high backed office chair, I knew she was sitting behind me but I didn't expect that...

And your cat is BEAUTIFUL. My sister has two black cats, they are so adorable. :)

HotelMinion
06-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Attacking? Psh. You have not LIVED until you've been entirely into what you're doing on the computer and two paws rest on your head and start to KNEAD. (ow) I have a very high backed office chair, I knew she was sitting behind me but I didn't expect that...

And your cat is BEAUTIFUL. My sister has two black cats, they are so adorable. :)

There was this cat that I fostered that suddenly jumped on my arm, turned its tail towards me and started licking my hand in one same spot. Ow.
Me: Kitty, that hurts. Your tongue is too rough!
Kitty: *gives me a look, then continues* -_-
Me: Ow. Kitty.
She kept doing it until I would give her a treat or attention. I'm thinking of fostering again except they scratch up my carpet. I would close the door but they would scratch the door. Maybe when I replace it with tile. :\
Also, once I was watching a scary movie online and she suddenly jumped at me during the tense parts. OMG I nearly flipped out but she was so cute.

Kittish
06-18-2016, 12:42 AM
I'm thinking of fostering again except they scratch up my carpet. I would close the door but they would scratch the door. Maybe when I replace it with tile. :\

Put a scratching post or flat on the floor scratch pad in every room. Show a new cat where to scratch by scratching at them yourself. I don't have problems with either of our cats messing up the carpet. Mister Kitteh LOVES the corrugated scratch pads, and they're inexpensive.

ImmBarb
06-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Put a scratching post or flat on the floor scratch pad in every room. Show a new cat where to scratch by scratching at them yourself. I don't have problems with either of our cats messing up the carpet. Mister Kitteh LOVES the corrugated scratch pads, and they're inexpensive.

My 3 cats love those things! Even the one who was declawed. They sleep on them all the time. We have to replace them 3 at a time or they fight over them.

wolfie
06-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Never been owned by a cat, but something I've read about scratching posts/mats is to be sure they're a different material from the stuff you don't want to get scratched. It's easier to teach a cat "post is for scratching, the living room carpet isn't", if the post is made of wood, corrugated cardboard, or wrapped in sisal rope than if it's covered in carpet.

Kittish
06-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Yep, wolfie, that's true. It's also better, at least until you learn what kind of scratchy stuff the cat like to provide some variety. As an example, Bittle Kittle doesn't care for the corrugated, she likes sisal. Kitteh, as I said earlier, loves the corrugated and sisal both. I'd like to find a good size chunk of tree trunk with bark still on, I bet they'd both love that.

Scratching is in part territory marking. If the cat has someplace he or she knows is theirs, they're not as likely to try to claim the furniture.

Aragarthiel
06-19-2016, 02:48 AM
My mom's had dozens of cats over the years (there was one point when I was little where we had 26... yeah she doesn't let it get that bad anymore), and she's had amazing results with the corrugated scratching boards. She also has a toy that's kinda like a ball in a ring (they chase the ball in circles, they can bat at it but they can't get it out) with a carpeted board in the middle, and her Brat loves that one.

Aria
06-20-2016, 01:40 PM
My mom's had dozens of cats over the years (there was one point when I was little where we had 26... yeah she doesn't let it get that bad anymore), and she's had amazing results with the corrugated scratching boards. She also has a toy that's kinda like a ball in a ring (they chase the ball in circles, they can bat at it but they can't get it out) with a carpeted board in the middle, and her Brat loves that one.

Those corrugated cardboard things are AMAZING. My cat has decided she likes them best flat on the floor, so she can jump right on and wail the hell out of it. :D The only downside is that I'm shelling out roughly 20, 30 dollars a month on her cardboard habit. OTOH, it would take a very, very long time to reach the value of the sofa...

wolfie
06-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Scratching is in part territory marking. If the cat has someplace he or she knows is theirs, they're not as likely to try to claim the furniture.

Also, cats have scent glands in their faces that they use to mark territory. When a cat rubs its face on your legs, it's not being affectionate - it's saying "The food giver is MINE!".

protege
06-22-2016, 12:26 PM
The only downside is that I'm shelling out roughly 20, 30 dollars a month on her cardboard habit.

20-30 dollars a month...for cardboard?
:eek:

While I do have one of those large corrugated mice toys and at least one scratcher for them, my cats seem to prefer the carpeted scratching posts. That, and empty shipping boxes from work. Baxter gets a LOT of enjoyment out of boxes. He'll hide in there, and slowly rip it apart.

Aria
06-23-2016, 04:25 AM
20-30 dollars a month...for cardboard?
:eek:

Well, keep in mind that's Canadian, we pay more for everything. :rolleyes: And she rips through them so fast, they barely last two weeks, if that. I sweep lot anyway, with the litter and fur, but also the little cardboard bits...

KuariKaydrith
06-23-2016, 11:56 AM
I tend to grab empty cardboard boxes from work and take them home for my furry family. It saves me money and the cats and the rats love tearing the boxes apart. The cats get the big boxes and the rats get the smaller ones. It does mean that I can't really use cardboard boxes to store things in, but that just means I've also got a collection of plastic bins for all my crafty stuff, spare blankets, and what not.

http://i.imgur.com/asuZnAW.jpg
The gray one is Ykaterina and the black one is Tynan. Both of them are spoiled rotten!

Seanette
06-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Very cute kitties!

Got any rat pictures? :)

protege
06-24-2016, 02:08 AM
Well, keep in mind that's Canadian, we pay more for everything. :rolleyes:

Sooo that would be about $2 American? :lol: Just messing with you. I know how expensive those cardboard scratchers are. I quit buying them, because Baxter will shred them in relatively short order, and then carry the "remains" all over the house. The only time he gets them, is what I can turn in points for free ones. Otherwise, he's stuck with plain old cardboard boxes :)

DGoddessChardonnay
06-26-2016, 01:46 AM
Beautiful baby . . . :love:

As for the "attacking" . . . I know I have several who when they want attention will reach out and swat at you. George (one of Gidget's babies) will do this quite a bit. So will Pasquinel when the mood strikes her.

Some folks aren't used to that kind of cat behavior, sad to say. Also sad is that they don't realize what they are missing out on.

Their loss is your gain, Mike. Enjoy this one and give him all the love he can stand.:D

Aragarthiel
06-26-2016, 03:57 AM
As for the "attacking" . . . I know I have several who when they want attention will reach out and swat at you. George (one of Gidget's babies) will do this quite a bit. So will Pasquinel when the mood strikes her.

My in-laws had a cat like that. When you weren't giving him enough attention, he'd climb up on the couch next to you and swat at your face. Then he'd start licking. If you ignored him long enough, he'd nibble on your knuckles. It was never hard enough to do any damage, just to get your attention.