PDA

View Full Version : ___est shoplifting story

alphaboi
07-27-2006, 07:12 AM
What's your weirdest, most expensive, stupidest, etc shoplifting story? Mine involves a would truck gone missing. It wasn't at out store but another store in the same area; our LP guy told me about. It was right before Christmass (I found out during our Xmas lunch). One of the trucks backed up to the loading area and detached the trailer part like normal (they back right up the building where there's doors in the stockroom). About an hour later the night crew started showing up to unload it and it was gone:eek: ! Someone got a truck, hitched up to the trailer and drove off without anybody noticing! After that all our stores got locks to secure the trailers to the buildings.

blas
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
other than the toilet paper from the bathroom at the gas station....

when I worked at the young lady's store at the mall, girls were constantly stealing panties. Nope, not the regular price panties that ranged from $3-$9 a pair..............I'm talking the REDLINE discount panties........the ones that were marked down to $1 to $2 a piece (when we got so damn many we just had to get rid of them because our weekly shipment of panties was sooooo plentiful).

We didn't have security cameras in that store, we all relied on ourselves and each other's good eyes and judgement.

the panties were a "hot spot" (hot spot meaning hot shoplifting spot) in the store. We knew that 80% of the time, young girls were stuffing their big paper Hollister bags with panties and merrily walking away.

Like we can't tell the difference between Hollister clothing and the more risque clothing (especially PANTIES) at the store I worked at. Morons.

Becks
07-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Blas, it just boggles the mind that people would steal the $1 panties and leave the more expensive ones alone. Don't they know that if you're going to do something like that, they might as well do it well?

BrassCowboy
07-27-2006, 04:08 PM
We had a TV at the front of the store, right as you walk in the door, which showed a continuos loop of ads for the new Medicare plan, as a way of informing people about the new plan. That was stolen within the first day.

A few weeks later, we had a TV advertising shampoos on an endcap right in front of the registers, in plain sight. That was stolen after a week.

The managers will never learn...

protege
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
There was one kid who tried to make off with my newspaper delivery vehicle...only to fall and have it run him over :eek:

As usual, whenever I parked my long-suffering 1988 Radio-Flyer wagon, I usually turned the front wheels into the curb. Most R-Fs don't have brakes (my other one has a crude handbrake), and can roll away pretty easily. So, this day, like every other day, I left the R-F sitting in the street as I made my rounds--I'd usually do about a dozen houses in a row, move the wagon, then do it again. Usually, nobody bothers the wagon, unless it's parked too close to their driveway. I'm careful about leaving plenty of room for people to back out...since one of my customers backed into it about 2 days after purchase--he ended up giving me a $5 tip to fix it...but that's another story :p

Anyway, I'm minding my own business, when one of the neighborhood kids decides to steal it.:eek: At least that was his plan. He forgot to take a few things into account. First off, Radio-Flyer wagons, especially fully-laden ones with wooden bodies versions aren't exactly light. Second, once a heavy vehicle is moving, it can be difficult to stop.

At least he didn't get very far, maybe about 10-15 feet. That's when he fell on his face, and the laws of physics took over. :eek: Let's just say that the wagon went up his leg, and stopped with the front tire in his buttcrack. Good thing I was able to run over there in time...otherwise I'm sure it would have messed up his back.

He learned his lesson though. No more wagon stealing.

Lace Neil Singer
07-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Nothing can beat this guy who ran in thru the back door of *supermarket*, grabbed a whole lot of random grocery items, then ran out of the front door... and pitched head first down the stairs. :lol: He knocked himself out, as soon as he came round he was taken in to wait for the police.

SwanJun
07-27-2006, 06:27 PM
This isn't shoplifting, but theft none-the-less.

I was helping out our graphics department by handmaking special sale tags for one of our smaller divisions.

I had to do 120 of the damn things and they took me a fair while to complete. Anyhoo, a day after I had finished and I was ready to hand them to the division buyer, I discovered two bundles of 20 were missing.

These tickets have the company logo on them and are division-specific. Noone has any possible use for them!

It took me two full days to finish another 40.

SJ

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
This probably isn't that exciting, but I guess it was for another store.

This happened in January about 2 years ago, so it was a pretty slow night. At about 7:30 we got a call from the Wal-Mart down the street. They had a family come into the store, load up a cart with clothes, electronics, and other expensive things, and push it out an emergency exit. I think their total haul added up to about $3,000 or so. So they called us to give us a description of the family and tell us to keep an eye out for them.

Well, the manager on duty that night must've seen them enter the store, because he ordered me to instantly drop what I was doing and stand by the emergency exit in sporting goods. He went outside in his car to investigate. He said he saw a car back there with its lights off, and it took off when he approached.

We don't have a lot of exciting shoplifting incidents at my store, at least none I'm aware of.

MystyGlyttyr
07-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Since it's been a couple of forums, I guess I get to retell the "KD Nickel" story (alternate name of the store I was working at :angel: )

A while back, when I was just barely 20, I was working seasonally in a KD Nickel just to have present money for Christmas. I had done some wrestling training by this point in my life, and since I was one of two girls working in the men's department, there was fertile ground to discuss it in and word got around.

One cool Friday night, the manager of the whole store approached and asked me "Are you the one who's done the wrestling training?" Me, thinking she was just idly making convo for whatever reason, said "Yeah." "Good," she says, motioning. "Come with me over here."

Understandably baffled, I followed her over to bedding while she explained the situation. Every Friday night, for a few weeks, the same car, containing the same five teenage boys, would cruise by the bedding entrance. The store was in a mall, and this door led straight outside to the main street that was the fastest way out of the parking lot. It was literally a twenty-foot run from car to a shelf covered in sheets. And every Friday night, this car would cruise by, and if the coast was clear, one of the boys would dive out, sprint inside, scoop up an armful of sheets, bolt back to the car, and peel out.

The manager had tried stationing security guards by the door but if the little hoodlums saw anyone, they would drive away before they could be caught. However, the suckers had stolen $800 worth of sheets by this point and she wanted them caught.

So, here was her theory. I was 20 at the time, but could usually pass for 14-16. Not to mention I was a girl who didn't look that physically imposing. So the plan was to have me hang around by the sheets, enough to be right there, but hopefully I would look unthreatening enough that the boys would expect that they could still get by me before anything happened. She made it clear that it was only an option if I wanted to do it. ...hell yes, I wanted to do it.

So, the magic hour rolls around, and I'm "shopping" in the sheets, when the car cruised by. It parked, there was a pause...and the door came open. One of the little suckers (probably about 16), made a dash for it.

For the purpose of information to those of you who are not wrestling fans, an "arm drag" is a fairly minor offensive move. When performed by two willing participants in the ring, the wrestlers lock each other around the elbows, or with a hand to the elbow of the person being thrown. However, there is a "legit" version of this move, wherein one person can throw an unwilling participant, either with a hand under the armpit for an over-the-hip throw, or with the elbow hooked in the armpit for an over-the-head backwards suplex type throw, which is considerably more painful and more useful for a running opponent.

You can guess which one I prefered for this situation.

The kid grabbed his armful of sheets and ran for it, as expected, and I quickly stepped in front of him, arm dragging him over and straight to the floor. Security (who were hiding in wait) were all over in within 20 seconds, before he had even figured out what hit him. His "buddies" in the car drove off without him, but he got them back...he sang like a little canary bird to the police and was the only one of the five to avoid juvie hall.

Me? I returned to the men's department and resumed folding pants...

To this day, we don't know what they wanted with $800 in sheets.

XCashier
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
The kid grabbed his armful of sheets and ran for it, as expected, and I quickly stepped in front of him, arm dragging him over and straight to the floor. Security (who were hiding in wait) were all over in within 20 seconds, before he had even figured out what hit him.
:lol: :yourock: :salute: That was brilliant. I hope the little twerp didn't think of trying to sue you or the store?

Ringman
07-28-2006, 01:14 AM

too lazy to wash the bed sheets after the dirty deeds were done for the night? :devil: :devil:

Becks
07-28-2006, 03:01 AM
too lazy to wash the bed sheets after the dirty deeds were done for the night? :devil: :devil:

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap, or done with sheep?

:muttering: Damn you, Weird Al!!!

zeoquean
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
The one that I remember as quite funny was when I was working the cigarette lane at my store. Since I was there, I couldn't get out from behind my counter and walk around, as I was the only one guarding the cigarettes and had to wait for someone to come and take my place before I could leave.

There was this kid who came by, and just walked through like he couldn't find anything that he wanted. So he just walked right by me. The thing is though, I saw him when he came in, and he had on just one shirt. The next time he came by me, he had a few more layers on...and the tags were sticking out of the neck of the shirts! And you could see that they were clearanced shirts too.

I didn't see what happened when the exit greeter got to them, because I was too far away from the door. But those tags in the back were hard to miss.

------------

And before I forget, I do have another one. I'll make it short though. A girl comes by with a pair of pants, (nice looking ones for my store, I might add) with a clearance sticker on it. I was new at the time, so I didn't think anything of it. I rang up everything, and she was asking me about fuses. I don't know ANYTHING about fuses and I told her so. So she goes on her merry way, and then the LP guy comes by and asks me if the girl I just rang up paid for everything. I said yes and he walked out the door after her. He took her back in...he SAW her switch the tags....and then he asked ME to be the witness when they talked to her (you know, so they can't just say they were yelled at and whatnot and sue the store)...and THAT was awkward....especially when the LP guy called the cops and left me there with her...and she asked me how long I worked at the store, and I said a year and a half (wich was true, but I was out for 3 months or so due an accident with a drunk driver, and I started out in a different department...I only started cashiering the month before or something)...she thought I was new too. But that was just...strange. That was the first and last time I had to be a witness (hasn't happened since).

PuckishOne
07-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap, or done with sheep?
Dirty deeds done with sheets!! :p

*ducks the rotten veg and trash*

Acolyte
07-28-2006, 06:37 PM

I think that's what most people do.

And that is quite possibly the most awesome story around the boards, Mysty. Makes me wish I still a) had a shoplifting problem around here and b) still remembered my Kenpo training.

Becks
07-29-2006, 03:20 AM

:spew: I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of that, myself.

:worship: I bow down before you.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Last night we caught some kids coming into the store and stealing tracfones. I think they got about 8 of them (this was the second time they came into the store to steal the tracfones). I bet they were going to turn around and sell the tracfones.

My store has a limit of three phones per customer, strictly enforced. Cashiers are not to ring up a second transaction if somebody wants more than 3, and they are to watch out for kids, relatives, or friends trying to help somebody purchase more than 3.

I wonder what the deal is with those tracfones that there is a limit on them.

Seanette
07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Last night we caught some kids coming into the store and stealing tracfones. I think they got about 8 of them (this was the second time they came into the store to steal the tracfones). I bet they were going to turn around and sell the tracfones.

My store has a limit of three phones per customer, strictly enforced. Cashiers are not to ring up a second transaction if somebody wants more than 3, and they are to watch out for kids, relatives, or friends trying to help somebody purchase more than 3.

I wonder what the deal is with those tracfones that there is a limit on them.
What I can't figure out is why anyone would WANT a TracFone. Their "customer service" is an atrocity (six calls in three days just to get a basic feature like voicemail working is NOT acceptable!), which is why I switched to Virgin Mobile (and have been very happy with them).

lazyguy
07-29-2006, 07:38 PM
They may be trying to limit them because they can be used as disposable cellphones. For drug dealers and ppl like that, because they are near impossible to trace.

Jet
07-29-2006, 08:17 PM
We actually had a bulletin posted behind our wireless counter for people who trying to large purchase virgin mobile phones. We were actually supposed to take down the customers information and then contact the FBI.

blas
07-29-2006, 10:35 PM
The "disposable" cell phones and such should be monitored because of that very reason....drug dealers/illegal activities, and yes, they are hard to track. Not only that, but people on the run can use them to get in contact with the people that they trust not to nark on them.

How do I know this? No, I've never been in that kind of trouble. Remember the girl at the gas station, Miss "I don't wannnnna", who always called in sick, who had the bf and the baby, who offered her foodstamp card to a friend if she could have $20 cash for a bag of weed? Her boyfriend became very hot with the cops, and he was on the run. Their appartment was nearby the gas station, and I'd never seen such patrol around the neighborhood. I bet ANYTHING he got one of those phones to stay in touch with her. She wouldn't talk, though. Someone eventually ratted him out, because he was caught at a friend's house.

huckster
07-30-2006, 04:51 AM
I worked for a store called Fetlas back in the day. The only way to explain this store is that it was founded for men buying ammunition that forgot their anniversary. They sell everything from guns, cammo, leather, gym shoes, to dish drain covers (beer too!).
We were given a reward for catching shoplifters, which were a common occurance. I worked in clothing and would see 100 pound girls walk into a dressing room and leave 50 pounds heavier. Back then, I only made 4.75 an hour and could care less what they took.
Then one day, I see this kid about 12 or so eye balling some candle holders right by the counter. He totally saw me watching him, but was so ballsy, stole some little piece of crap insence holder. I alerted my coworker and we watched him try to hit the doors.
"Security", which was some 60 year old guy that could run fast, followed him to the car. Next thing we know, his mom is running into the store screaming at her kid.
They decided not to press charges, but that kid had some welts on his ass and I made $50. It was a good night all around.

Chugach_PropHead
08-01-2006, 01:13 AM
I worked for a store called Fetlas back in the day. The only way to explain this store is that it was founded for men buying ammunition that forgot their anniversary. They sell everything from guns, cammo, leather, gym shoes, to dish drain covers (beer too!).

I've been to this store! But only once. Since that one time I've never been able to successfully find my way back. Its in Chesterton or Gary right? Or, at least somewhere in northwestern Indiana... Your description of it though is SO right on the mark. I just wish there was a cool Fetlas up here in Ye Frozen Northe...

SuperDan
08-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Ah yes, Fetlas Trading Post in Valparaiso. The only shopping establishment I've ever been in where I could walk down an aisle and see ammunition on my left and breakfast cereal on my right.

cpux
08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
My store had a really major theft that IMO was largely the store's fault.

It happened during overnight. At the time, The Chronicles of Narnia had just come out on DVD. For whatever reason, someone up top thought a grocery store could sell 300 copies. The genius management at my store thought it would be a good idea to stick all 300 DVDs, each priced at $20, on a table not 20 clear feet from the exit.

So, when the overnight cashier was doing returns (since nobody else will do them), somebody loaded up a cart of all the Narnia DVDs he could and sped out the door. He got away with about 250 of them, a total loss of $5,000.

A few weeks later, the store got a lockable case for all new DVDs.

Kogarashi
08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I only have one shoplifting story, really, and it's more annoying than anything (all my other SL stories are largely forgettable, or very brief).

I was coming back from one of my breaks while working as a register-slave at Wal-Mart one summer, and was approached by a CSM in Layaway (for those who don't know, this area is in the back of the store, and is usually where employee access to the breakroom is as well; at least in most Wal-Mart stores). The CSM told me that there was someone suspicious currently wandering around in shoes who had just been stopped from entering the Layaway restrooms with merchandise (a big no-no at Wal-Mart). She asked me to follow the customer (a teenage/college-age girl) and keep an eye on her. Well, I'm not usually LP, but the LP guys were already on it and having a hard time keeping an eye on her, so I guess they needed all the help they could get. I followed the girl around as she slowly snaked her way to the front end, but was unable to stop her from entering the front end restrooms with her handful of gum, pens, and other small multi-packed goods. I walked in, but she quickly occupied the handicapped stall at the end of the restroom, where I could hear plastic unwrapping. I went out and told the CSM, who waited with me until the girl left. Then the CSM asked me to go check the stall. Sure enough, the product wrappers were there, in the sanitary napkin disposal. I grabbed those for the CSM, but I don't know if anything came of it since we didn't have eyewitness proof that she unwrapped the packages. ::sigh:: One of those days I wished my testimony that she had those specific items when she went in and didn't have them (visible) when she came out would actually count for something.

Rocko
08-18-2006, 07:02 AM
I wasn't a witness to this, but my coworker was.

At my work we sell these CO2-powered BB guns where when you pull the trigger the slide goes back just like a real gun. We sell them for $69.99. We almost never sell them because every asshole who comes into my department cuts them off of the LOCKED peghook where they are kept then cuts open the packaging.

So a coworker is walking one of the aisles with no security cameras when he comes across the cut up packaging, next to a puddle of blood. There is a blood trail from my department all the way to the bathrooms (my department is right next to layaway and thus the bathrooms). So the obvious situation here is that the dumb:censored: who stole from us cut the crap out of his hand, either with the knife/boxcutter he used or on the packaging. Hope the bastard had to get stitches

jnd4rusty
08-18-2006, 09:00 AM
[I wonder what the deal is with those tracfones that there is a limit on them.[/QUOTE]

Actually according to the news that I have heard since 9/11, tracfones are pretty much untraceable and very popular with the terrorists. That is why it must be reported if a large number of them are sold. If I recall I think that the terrorists in the 9/11 plot used such phones. I know that some guys were arrested recently for wanting to buy 600 of them and the clerk turn them in. Supposedly they just wanted to resell them..but you can't be too carefull.

trunks2k
08-18-2006, 05:30 PM
[I wonder what the deal is with those tracfones that there is a limit on them.

Actually according to the news that I have heard since 9/11, tracfones are pretty much untraceable and very popular with the terrorists. That is why it must be reported if a large number of them are sold.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're untraceable. In fact, I 99% garuntee you they can be traced, or will be in the near future. By law, cell phones must be able to be located when they call 911. IIRC, the final deadline to get in compliance has passed, but the FCC isn't doing much in enforcing it yet. Unless, that is, if they have the system in place, then they enforce the requirements (don't get me started on them). But eventually every cell phone will be capable of being traced, and quite easily.

I work for a company that does the location generation for 2 major cell phone companies in the US, plus several tier II and tier III providers. Our technology has some pretty interesting capabilities ;)

repsac
08-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Some quick Shoplifting stories from me. Mind typos. Trying to get used to a laptop again.

1.) Forklift. Just before I started work for a Wal-mart (myfirst job) some boon tried to steal their forklift. He hopped on it and took off down the street, only to have to ditch when he got it stuck on a speed bump.

2.) Jewlery Counter, with Jewlery inside. This was actually a test by LP. They borrowed my vest...yeah, I was in on it, along with another person. (manager I think). The deal was, since we were in on it, we could not interfere with what was going on. Well, LP heads over to Jewlery, and says to the girl there. "Hey, we're here to fix this case. One of the doors is broken." The girl smiled and said."Well, let me get the stuff out." but the LP (hiding as employees) said "Nah. We'll just take it like this." They then put the whole case on a rolling dolly, jewlery inside, and rolled it out through garden center.

3.) One of the COOLEST Stories. (as told by the GBI). Lowe's in Tifton got robbed sometime in 05. The man who did it managed to get away with untold ammounts of cash and checks. Here's what he did.

Walking into the store dressed as a Wells Fargo man, he approached customer service. CS directed him back to the Cash Office. Walking back there he knocked on the door and waited. The Cash Office said that he 1.) Wasn't supposed to come in the store, and 2.) Wasn't pictured on their list, so they couldn't give him the money. The guy smiled some and said "Oh great. Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm new at this. Tell you what, call the company and they will vouch for me." The Cash Office clerk, and Manager thought it over, decided that he was OK, and handed over the deposit. Turning around, the robber walked out the door, smiling for the camera, never to be seen again.

4.) Second Cool story. Coming from Wal-Mart again.

The wal-mart near where I live got hit for around 2k dollars worth of goods stolen some years ago. Here's what happened.

At the time, Wal-mart had some 500 dollar computers out on the floor in these huge stacks. 4 men entered, picked up carts and went to 4 different locations in the store. For 40 min to an hour, they shopped. The men priced things, considered their options, and then each picked one of these computers up into his cart. (along with a few assorted items.) Then, in the span of about ten more minutes, the men meandered over in the direction of pets. It was co-ordinated so that they each looked as though they didn't know each other. Further, that area didn't have a camera, so LP lost them. A moment later, one of the men hit the fire alarm, then hit the door. 30 sec later, the door came open and these guys casually exited the store, loading the computers (and leaving the other stuff) into the back of a waiting pick up and fleeing the scene. I do not think, they have been caught yet.

Antisocial_Worker
09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Walking into the store dressed as a Wells Fargo man, he approached customer service. CS directed him back to the Cash Office. Walking back there he knocked on the door and waited. The Cash Office said that he 1.) Wasn't supposed to come in the store, and 2.) Wasn't pictured on their list, so they couldn't give him the money. The guy smiled some and said "Oh great. Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm new at this. Tell you what, call the company and they will vouch for me." The Cash Office clerk, and Manager thought it over, decided that he was OK, and handed over the deposit. Turning around, the robber walked out the door, smiling for the camera, never to be seen again.

The reason there's no longer an ATM in a local mall here is that the same thing happened. Someone put on a security guard costume, brought in a dolly and said the ATM was broken, and wheeled it right on out.

Dreamstalker
09-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Jordan is amazed how he was able to get unchallenged into "authorized personnel only" areas on a construction site wearing only a baseball cap with the company logo (he's working construction now and does work for the company in question, but is surprised that nobody asked if he was really supposed to be there). You used to be able to buy old UPS/FedEx uniforms on ebay, but that's been banned probably for this very reason.

CrazedClerk
09-05-2006, 02:11 AM
A friend of mine once asked me who's the greatest con artist I've ever encountered.

I related a story about someone who'd tried to swindle a store I worked at.

When I finished my friend promptly told me that I was wrong, the swindler was not the greatest con artist I've ever met.

I asked "how do you know that?"

He said "because the greatest con artist you ever met never had you thinking for a moment that he was a con artist."

My friend is right, some of these people are so damn good you never suspect them until it's too late.

Mighty Girl
09-05-2006, 02:29 AM
When I worked at Jewel Mart, we kept hearing rumors that business wasn't doing too well, which seemed strange since we usually had a good amount of customers in the store.

Suddenly, I came in one day after my classes and several people had been fired and a lot of people had their hours temporarily increased A LOT. Turns out, after closing about 3 or 4 managers and maybe 3 other people (like stockboys or cashiers, I can't remember) were taking TONS of stuff- VCRs, TVs, jewelry, cameras, lamps..... you name it. And the idiots that they were, they were walking right in front of the security cameras as they were carrying the stuff. They assumed since the store was closed, that the cameras were turned off I guess. The dumbest part is- they apparently had been taking stuff for over a year, and the company only finally put in security cameras at the loading dock a week before they were fired.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
09-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Well, I might have an interesting shoplifting story in a while.

We've been having a large black guy coming into the store and ripping off ipods. The ipods are merchandised on peghooks in special, plastic protective cases and the guy is so strong, he just breaks open the case and takes the ipod.

He had been doing this with a couple other guys, and LP got at least one of them. Apparently, the other guy is not ratting out the thief. Our LP girl is afraid to confront the thief because he is so big and strong. Plus, during a recent shoplifter chase, the store manager got pinned up against the wall of the store by the person being chased, another teammate chasing him got injured, and corporate LP seems to be discouraging chasing shoplifters because of the possibility of teammate injuries.

I imagine if we do ever have to take him down, it will be a sight to behold.

Tanasi
09-05-2006, 04:02 AM
A customer of ours decided that our software and support was too expensive decided to go with Micros for their POS system in a very busy FL hotel rest/bar. Two bartenders that had became shift leaders and closers always made a point that they would close the place down every night, they would even come in on their day's off to close (just being nice guys). About 18 months after they started being so nice, they got busted and through an audit of the POS it was discovered that they had taken about $200K. There was a major hole in security in the Micros POS system that they exploited. They would change the price on steaks from 22.95 to 19.95 run their paperwork, change the price back to 22.95 and pocket the difference. The hole was the system that it didn't make log file entries of price changes and the sales price wasn't written with the sales record but relied on item price. The new F&B mgr noticed that his projected sales was significantly less than actual but sales numbers were met or surpassed and promo's didn't offset the difference. I guess you'd have to be into computer/accounting forensics or just a huge nerd to find this interesting. When my bosses found out that this had happened they questioned if this could happen to our system. Answer no, and only 3 people in the world could do this and cover their trail. That was myself and the other two guys that wrote the system, since we didn't actually use the system in the field and handle money it was secure. I've heard several kids talk about security holes but they've never be able to produce said errors and independent auditors confirm our system is secure and has done so several times over the years.

Blinky
09-05-2006, 04:11 AM
Well, I might have an interesting shoplifting story in a while.

We've been having a large black guy coming into the store and ripping off ipods. The ipods are merchandised on peghooks in special, plastic protective cases and the guy is so strong, he just breaks open the case and takes the ipod.

He had been doing this with a couple other guys, and LP got at least one of them. Apparently, the other guy is not ratting out the thief. Our LP girl is afraid to confront the thief because he is so big and strong. Plus, during a recent shoplifter chase, the store manager got pinned up against the wall of the store by the person being chased, another teammate chasing him got injured, and corporate LP seems to be discouraging chasing shoplifters because of the possibility of teammate injuries.

I imagine if we do ever have to take him down, it will be a sight to behold.
An old friend of mine used to work LP at a local grocery store. He told me that their has been a couple times where he was scared to take a guy down because of his size. The funny thing is that most of the bigger guys he had to get didn't put up any fight at all! One of them even broke down and started crying in the middle fo the store.

CrazedClerk
09-06-2006, 02:13 AM
"Well, I might have an interesting shoplifting story in a while.

I imagine if we do ever have to take him down, it will be a sight to behold."

This may sound cheesy, but if there are any Professional Wrestling or Mixed Martial Arts organizations in your town you could probably find someone who could go toe to toe with this guy for a very modest fee.

I bet you could find a massive wrestler to do it for less than the cost of an Ipod.

Plaidman
09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I think the worst theft I've dealt with was th older man clamming that he worked for the city. So I said ok, and he took the garbage. Manager came in, as what was going on. He repeates that he works for the city. Manager cries bullshit. So the thief just run out the stoor and droop it on the grounf, thrn walked out.

Rocko
11-06-2006, 03:59 AM
We have been getting people passing fake reciepts from our store. We had a few walk away with TVs and the like. As a result, the door greeters have been very anal about checking reciepts on big items and have become much more suspicious of people. It paid off because yesterday they stopped a guy from walking out the door with $2500 worth of DVDs and CDs. The dumbass tried to walk out the door with all of these stuffed into a tote bag, and the greeters had to check the bag. He got caught, held, and arrested. Of course, it was likely he would have gotten caught anyways, as all the merchandise was in the original packaging, complete with security sensors

PorkChop
11-06-2006, 05:23 AM
This pissed me off the most. Several months ago, we had a beer run. No big deal right? Well, the thieves were 11 years old!!! :eek: They took that 18 Bud Light pack and ran out the door. Our policy is a do not confront or chase, so I had to let them go. What kind of parent would let their kids be out and about on a Friday night at 1AM!!
Good god, I hope those kids had massive hangovers! :devil:

OfficeSlug
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I worked at Target during the summers in the mid-90s (come home from college, screw around for 25+ hours a week, party the rest of the time, you know how it is)...

Not really shoplifting, but internal theft, this story is.

Three guys (one was in Electronics and had keys) would put big 25" televisions and VCRs and stereos onto flatbeds and tell their department manager that they were going to help a customer out with their purchases. In front of everyone, they'd make a big show of looking for the customer who had just "purchased" the equipment and "probably went out through Lawn and Garden"...

What they were really doing was loading up the cage (the back end of the store, away from the cameras and register) in the Lawn and Garden center (one of the OTHER guys had the keys).

Then, late at night, they'd come back and unlock the OUTSIDE door to the cage and remove all the equipment into their personal vehicles!

It took 3 months for security to figure out where everything had been going!

dizzy_starshine
11-07-2006, 09:40 PM
This lady came in and imediatly started to fill her shopping bag from another store with goods. I told the manager who approached her and asked out right what she was doing. The lady said she was just holding them till she got to the till as she's allergic to the plastic used in our shopping baskets o_O O_O O_o.
The manager then pointed out that our baskets are metal with no plastic, took the goods out the bag and showed the lady the door.

Cosmic Cat
11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
A customer tried to run, actually shuffle very slowly, out the front door with a giant industrial compressor. She got caught of course.

The most annoying shoplifters are the ones who open a package of socks or underwear, steal one pair, and stick the package back on the shelf! Then the store can't sell the package, but at least the remaining underwear/socks get sent to charity.

Edit: I have more stories.

A guy came in and paid for his merchandise with a $500 traveler's check. A few minutes later, he "changed his mind" and wanted a refund. There is no such thing as $500 traveler's check.

One night someone robbed the store! He took a crowbar and smashed up all the jewelry cases. Fortunately, the alarms are so sophisticated that the slightest movement will cause them to alert the police, and he was caught.

Barefootgirl
11-08-2006, 08:01 AM
This may sound cheesy, but if there are any Professional Wrestling or Mixed Martial Arts organizations in your town you could.

While its touching how much faith you wrestling and martial arts fans put in your peers' abilities, I somehow think that bringing in civilian help to apprehend a shoplifter is a really, REALLY bad idea. You don't know what else that guy has in his pockets apart from ipods, and no matter how big and muscly a wrestler or MA might be, i suspect he's not blade-proof.

A much simpler solution might be to put the Ipods behind the counter instead of out on peghooks.

MadMike
11-09-2006, 02:48 PM
This lady came in and imediatly started to fill her shopping bag from another store with goods.

My wife spotted someone doing something like that once. I was there too, but I wasn't really paying attention.

She said she saw this old lady take a handful of the store's plastic grocery bags out of her purse, and then start filling them with random items from the shelves. We're not sure if she intended to walk out the door with them, like she had already paid, or if she was going to go up front and "return" them for cash.

My wife found a nearby employee and alerted him to what was going on. Sadly, we were in a hurry, so we couldn't stick around to watch the resulting carnage. :devil:

friendofjimmyk
11-10-2006, 02:26 PM

It was probably some kind of joke - do it just because they could - unless they were planning on something else with them - but the only reason I could see for stealing sheets is a toga party!

TO-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA!

rvdammit
11-10-2006, 06:13 PM
It was probably some kind of joke - do it just because they could - unless they were planning on something else with them - but the only reason I could see for stealing sheets is a toga party!

TO-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA!

Free sheets = no laundry

Pezzle
11-10-2006, 06:21 PM
There was an open box computer that went missing from our endcap becuase it was back in the warehouse as a return or something of the sort. It was then taken out of the warehouse and put on my desk to be set up again. Out of boredom I randomly got the instinctual urge to open it up... heard a bit of a rattling as I turned it on its side. Figured maybe a loose PCI slot plate or something.

...the heatsink was dangling slightly.

...Someone jacked the processor. The f*cking AMD Athlon 64 3800+ someone just pulled it out and left the heat sink dangling.

Tanasi
11-10-2006, 07:49 PM

TO-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA!

Klan meeting????:confused:

Tria
11-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Klan meeting????:confused:

No, Animal House.

AFpheonix
11-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Tria, I don't think he was asking what movie that was referencing ;)

He was just suggesting another reason (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan) why someone would want an assload of white sheets.

bendertiger
11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Maybe he was attending a klan meeting? :confused:

fma_fanatic
11-12-2006, 07:51 PM
At my very first job (mail order game store), we went to conventions about 6 times a year. I'd sit at the booth while the owner would drum up business around the con, then come back and I'd do the same thing.

So at one particular convention, we'd decided to bring with us our video game selection. It consisted of the popular games for SNES, Jaguar, 3DO and Sega Saturn systems (yeah, it was that long ago).

So cue the kids who saw the games, but couldn't afford them. While I was busy helping a customer, a kid came up and was ogling a game. I saw him out of the corner of my eye and mentioned casually that we had the hint book for it too if he was interested. He said thanks, put it back and walked off. A bit later he came back while I was away and tried to take the game. But the owner was quick and caught him before he got out of the dealer room. From what I understand, he had his badge taken away, and was banned from ever registering again.

SO told me about an incident a few weeks ago. He works in the dairy department at a local grocery store, so he gets his share of milk maids (the people who demand the latest dated milk) and those who ask tons of questions about the dairy products.

One night, he caught a guy switching eggs between the 18 ct. medium and the 18 ct. extra large. Basically, he was trying to get the extra large eggs at the medium egg price.

SO told the guy to stop what he was doing or he'd call security. The guy called him on it and SO called up to the front area to warn the manager that someone was trying to steal eggs. After giving a description, the guy was caught. He had to make a statement that he'd seen the guy switch the eggs, and as far as he knows the guy has been banned from his store.

thegiraffe
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Free sheets = no laundry

Eh...I always wash new sheets before using them. I like how they smell with the laundry detergent, and it makes them softer. I'm a bit of a sheet snob - I won't go near anything with polyester in them. Even my mattress pad, comforter, and pillows are 100% cotton :). Methinks they may have been up to some...er...messy activities :angel:

MadMike
11-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Eh...I always wash new sheets before using them.

We guys don't do that. No, we love those square wrinkles! :lol:

rvdammit
11-13-2006, 10:42 PM
We guys don't do that. No, we love those square wrinkles! :lol:

I kinda assume they wouldn't sell dirty sheets.

Cosmic Cat
11-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Thursday this guy came in and bought some stuff, then tried to stuff more items in the bad. I said, "You didn't pay for that." He tried to tell me that he "just forgot," and agrees to pay for them.

The first item I scan comes up regular price, and he tried to convince me that it should be half that price because "ya'll are rippin' me off!" :eek:

Ringtail Z28
11-14-2006, 02:15 AM
The first item I scan comes up regular price, and he tried to convince me that it should be half that price because "ya'll are rippin' me off!" :eek:

Well yeah, he was expecting to get it for free. :D

Kogarashi
11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
I kinda assume they wouldn't sell dirty sheets.

Yeah, but if they're not packaged up, they're dirty enough from all those other customers handling them. Like the clothes at Wal-Mart that everyone and their dog has already tried on.

Becks
11-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Wal-Mart allows dogs in there now?

(I know they are obligated to allow service animals in, I'm talking about PETS.)

Kogarashi
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM

(I know they are obligated to allow service animals in, I'm talking about PETS.)

I think it depends on the store's individual policy, but the store I work at actually allows lap-dog-size pets in the store if they're constantly in their owner's arms or leashed up in the shopping cart. I've seen no less than one kitten and ten small dogs in the three months I've been working there.

Though honestly, I was using "...and their dog" as a figure of speech, for hyperbole.

Primer
11-15-2006, 10:51 PM

Dunno about Wal Mart, but in my town, I see lots of em in Home Depot....not even in the carts, and sometimes not even on a leash!

Anakah
11-16-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm surprised he didn't try to sue you for him getting ran over by wanting to steal your car.