PDA

View Full Version : Name That Quotation! [Game]

EricKei
11-09-2016, 04:28 AM
This one has probably come up before, but I didn't see any like this currently running and I'm too tired to research it properly, so here we go...

The rules are simple: Post a quotation from a show/book/movie/whatever that you find memorable (the line has to be memorable; where it comes from need not be). Ideally, it should be unique to that particular series/etc, but it doesn't have to be, so long as it's not something you will see in a million other productions. It DOES, however, need to be completely devoid of context. No dropping hints unless it's been a bunch of posts with nobody taking any (correct) guesses, or upon request. :angel:

ID others' quotations when you can (just the series/franchise name is sufficient, even if it's used multiple times across different iterations - e.g. "Superman" for "Up, up, and awaaaaaay!"), but if you post in here, your comment MUST include a fresh quotation. Most of all, as usual, have fun! :D

============================

I'll start it out.

"Justice will be swift! Justice will be painful! It will be...DELICIOUS!"

wolfie
11-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Phantom 265's Vine

How about "I might be crazy but I ain't dumb"

greek_jester
11-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Ooh, wasn't that Dukes of Hazard?

“But here's some advice, boy. Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions.”

wolfie
11-09-2016, 08:11 AM
There are two "z"s in "Hazzard" (otherwise it's just something dangerous). Yep, that's something Cooter routinely said over the CB.

greek_jester
11-09-2016, 09:13 AM
There are two "z"s in "Hazzard" (otherwise it's just something dangerous). Yep, that's something Cooter routinely said over the CB.

Sorry, still working on my first cup of tea :o

Jay 2K Winger
11-09-2016, 09:40 AM
“But here's some advice, boy. Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions.”

"People die, and nothing changes." John Keel, aka Commander Sir Samuel Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Night Watch

"It was a rough place - the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."

Kit-Ginevra
11-09-2016, 10:19 AM
'I will not be defeated by a bad man and an American stick insect.Instead I choose vodka!'

EricKei
11-09-2016, 03:33 PM
wolfie - nope. I've never even heard of P265

KG -- The Tick(?)
===============

"If someone tries to kill you, you kill 'em right back."

Ghel
11-09-2016, 03:48 PM
"If someone tries to kill you, you kill 'em right back."
Malcom Reynolds, "Firefly"

==========

"All of this was for nothing, unless we go to the stars."

mjr
11-09-2016, 03:57 PM
"It was a rough place - the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."

The movie "Airplane!"

"I'm gonna barbecue yo @$$ in molasses!"

Crossbow
11-09-2016, 05:10 PM
I'll start it out.

"Justice will be swift! Justice will be painful! It will be...DELICIOUS!"

Since nobody has this one yet, It's said by Ruby Rose in the series RWBY.

"If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed, walk it off."

Kit-Ginevra
11-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Malcom Reynolds, "Firefly"

==========

Hmmm....Apollo 13? JFK? Some Star Trek thingy?

EricKei- Nope...

greek_jester
11-09-2016, 05:58 PM

Babylon 5

"If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed, walk it off."

Avengers: Age of Ultron

-------------------------------------

"The hardest thing to do in this world is to live in it."

ApolloSZ
11-10-2016, 01:32 AM
Was going to say that was from the move "Under Seige", Tommy Lee Jones' character.

I don't know your latest one.

"Lo there do I see my father; Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers; Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever."

AnaKhouri
11-10-2016, 02:01 AM
Is it from Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton? Or maybe the movie version, but it had a different title.

"It is better to believe in men too rashly, and regret, than believe too meanly. Men could be more than they are, if they would try for it."

AnaKhouri
11-11-2016, 01:06 AM
Oh God. Did I shut down the game? I'm so sorry.

Here's another, possibly less obscure, one.

“The true secret in being a hero lies in knowing the order of things. The swineherd cannot already be wed to the princess when he embarks on his adventures, nor can the boy knock on the witch's door when she is already away on vacation. The wicked uncle cannot be found out and foiled before he does something wicked. Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a very long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.”

EricKei
11-11-2016, 01:17 AM
Crossbow - Yup!

AK - rofl, and Schmendrick from The Last Unicorn on the second one, I believe.

======================

"I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher.”

Jay 2K Winger
11-13-2016, 03:35 AM
"I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher.”

Mazer Rackham, "Ender's Game"

"Life is pain... Anyone who says different is selling something."

AdamAnt316
11-13-2016, 04:37 AM
"Life is pain... Anyone who says different is selling something."

The Princess Bride.

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Sakka
11-13-2016, 07:52 AM
The Princess Bride. "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." Doc Brown, Back to the Future

"TV, deadens the mind and corrupts the soul."

Kit-Ginevra
11-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Don't forget mine lying lost and forgotten on page 1 :P

greek_jester
11-13-2016, 01:28 PM
"TV, deadens the mind and corrupts the soul."

Was that Remington Steel? Now one of my favourite quotes:

------------------------------------------------------

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”

greek_jester
11-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Don't forget mine lying lost and forgotten on page 1 :P

Or mine:

Sakka
11-14-2016, 03:16 AM
Was that Remington Steel? Now one of my favourite quotes:

It is indeed Remington Steele :D

notalwaysright
11-14-2016, 03:43 AM
Or mine:

That's so familiar... Somebody on Person of Interest?

Mine:

"The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think."

El Pollo Guerrera
11-14-2016, 04:08 AM
'I will not be defeated by a bad man and an American stick insect.Instead I choose vodka!'

Bridget Jones Diary.

"I don't care if she did put an ice cube in your underwear! Girls will do that. You mustn't hit her with the dog! Now until I get back, you're the man of the house. Yes, I know Mommy thinks she is, but you really are!"

EricKei
11-14-2016, 04:52 AM
J2K - correct!

And now, one I've used in real life before :)

"Don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal."

greek_jester
11-14-2016, 06:18 PM
That's so familiar... Somebody on Person of Interest?

Mine:

"The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think."

Nope. Wind back time another decade :) Your quote; was that Captain Picard in ST:TNG?

notalwaysright
11-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Nope. Wind back time another decade :) Your quote; was that Captain Picard in ST:TNG?

Yup.

Is it NCIS? I DON'T KNOW, and it's driving me crazy.

Ironclad Alibi
11-15-2016, 02:43 AM
"Anybody else want to negotiate?" - This quote requires two sources.

greek_jester
11-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Yup.

Is it NCIS? I DON'T KNOW, and it's driving me crazy.

OK, I'll be nice. It's Buffy Summers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to her little sister Dawn, just before she takes a swan dive off of a tower to close a portal that will rip all of time and space apart.

Ooh, I know one of the sources! The film "The Fifth Element", Bruce Willis's character (Corban Dallas?)

Still waiting for someone to get this:

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”

notalwaysright
11-15-2016, 08:39 PM
OK, I'll be nice. It's Buffy Summers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to her little sister Dawn, just before she takes a swan dive off of a tower to close a portal that will rip all of time and space apart.

Arg! I could almost hear it.

notalwaysright
11-20-2016, 04:33 AM
Well, I didn't mean to kill this thread so here:

"She'll sing at me, I know she will."

EricKei
11-20-2016, 07:48 PM
No guesses on my end for the remaining ones x.x

----------------------

"The blood of the guitar was Chuck Berry Red...The guitar bled for about a week afterwards, but it (w)rung out beautifully...And I was able to play notes I had never even heard before!"

(note -- the ... represent pauses/breaks, not missing text, in this case)

Ironclad Alibi
11-21-2016, 02:21 AM

Ooh, I know one of the sources! The film "The Fifth Element", Bruce Willis's character (Corban Dallas?)

The second movie is the Lone Ranger (2013). It is said by Butch Cavendish just after he shoots one of the Chinese mine workers.

ParkingWitch
11-21-2016, 07:22 AM
"The blood of the guitar was Chuck Berry Red...The guitar bled for about a week afterwards, but it (w)rung out beautifully...And I was able to play notes I had never even heard before!"

(note -- the ... represent pauses/breaks, not missing text, in this case)

Wasted Youth by Meatloaf.

----------

"Now for something compleately different."

Yes,. ∆ that is my quote. 😁

greek_jester
11-21-2016, 08:00 AM

Wasn't this Meatloaf's "Wasted Youth"?

"Now for something compleately different."

Was this Monty Python?

------------------------

“No-one likes being told it's their lucky day. That sort of thing does not bode well. When someone tells you it's your lucky day, something bad is about to happen.”

EricKei
11-21-2016, 11:09 AM
PW, GK -- Yep! It's the Wasted Youth "speech" (there's also a song ML does by the same name, unrelated to it). Technically, it's said/performed by his songwriter, Jim Steinman, but it normally only shows up on Meat Loaf's albums and live shows, so Y'all get credit for that ;)

===================

"Write your letters in the sand
For the day I take your hand
In the land that our grandchildren knew"

Kristev
11-21-2016, 11:39 AM
She'll sing at me, you know she will. That one was forgotten. I think it comes from Keeping Up Appearances.

Kit-Ginevra
11-21-2016, 01:43 PM
'when it's not serious if your genitals go wandering off of their own accord,then I wonder what is'? :D

ParkingWitch
11-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Was this Monty Python?

Yes, very good. And now I'm going to go try to think of something that isn't obscure fanfiction.

notalwaysright
11-21-2016, 10:38 PM
She'll sing at me, you know she will. That one was forgotten. I think it comes from Keeping Up Appearances.

Yup. Hyacinth is like the ultimate pompous SC. I also love how she calls mugs/cups "beakers."

AdamAnt316
11-22-2016, 05:47 AM
"Write your letters in the sand
For the day I take your hand
In the land that our grandchildren knew"

Queen - '39. Love that song. :)

"It happens, sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes."

greek_jester
11-22-2016, 08:22 AM
"Don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal."

Ha, finally remembered! It's Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

Still waiting for someone to get this one:

------------------------

“No-one likes being told it's their lucky day. That sort of thing does not bode well. When someone tells you it's your lucky day, something bad is about to happen.”

EricKei
11-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Adam and GJ: Yup and yup.

-------------------------------------------

"[This] works like no ordinary tranquilizer can. It puts the cat out all night, and keeps the neighbor kids in their own damn yard. [It] removes unwanted fingerprints from walls; [it] removes unwanted walls from fingerprints!"

El Pollo Guerrera
11-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Sounds like Gallagher stand-up act, selling the classic Sledge-O-Matic!

No one has answered mine from page 3 yet...

taxguykarl
11-22-2016, 07:23 PM
"I'm gonna barbecue yo @$$ in molasses!"Smokey and the Bandit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076729/?ref_=ttqt_qt_tt)

"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Ironclad Alibi
11-22-2016, 08:08 PM
"I don't care if she did put an ice cube in your underwear! Girls will do that. You mustn't hit her with the dog! Now until I get back, you're the man of the house. Yes, I know Mommy thinks she is, but you really are!"

Mash. Henry to his son on the phone.

darkroxas45
11-23-2016, 11:48 PM
hopefully I wont get in trouble for this one
"Are we awake? We're not sure, are we black? Yes we are. Then we are awake and we are very puzzled."
Sorry its a whole conversation

Ghel
11-25-2016, 03:59 PM
"Are we awake? We're not sure, are we black? Yes we are. Then we are awake and we are very puzzled."
Blazing Saddles

----------
“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”

EricKei
11-26-2016, 02:32 AM
Time for an easy one.

"You'd best un-fuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"

ApolloSZ
11-27-2016, 04:14 AM
EricKei - Drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket (R Lee Ermy)

Also seems no-one has gotten mine back on Page 2.

This is only part of the quote, but too much more will give it away I think....
"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself....."

El Pollo Guerrera
11-27-2016, 05:24 AM
Definitely "Dirty" Harry Calahan (Clint Eastwood) in the first "Dirty Harry" movie.

Also seems no-one has gotten mine back on Page 2.

"The 13th Warrior"? Someone did guess it, though, but they named the book it was based on.

ApolloSZ
11-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Ah I missed that. I knew there was a book but didn't know the title, so was looking for the Movie name. And yes, Dirty Harry. Told y'all it was easy :) I'll give you guys another one then. Slightly more obscure.

"No flag no country! These are the rules I've just made up."

darkroxas45
11-28-2016, 01:48 AM
Eddie Izzard

ApolloSZ
12-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Correct. New one then:

"You think you know bad, huh? You're a F------ CHOIR BOY compared to me! A CHOIR BOY"

Kit-Ginevra
12-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Should we maybe have a little recap post to see which ones haven't been got yet before they disappear into the wild blue yonder?

And...highly appropriate for CS...

'The people you work with are people you were just thrown together with. You know, you don't know them, it wasn't your choice, and yet you spend more time with them then you do your friends or your family. But probably all you've got in common is the fact that you walk around on the same bit of carpet for 8 hours a day.'