PDA

View Full Version : Missouri drivers suck!

Imogene
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure if both of these actually count as SC sightings, but they certainly do embrace the SC spirit.

I was driving to class one morning, and, as I came to a left turn signal, and a red light, I was slowing down to stop, when out of nowhere (okay, the lane on my right) a green station wagon suddenly pulled out to make the left turn in front of me, nearly hitting my front bumper in the process. This car, of course, ran the red light (illegal) from a straight lane (illegal), and cut right in front of me to do it (illegal, but not because it was me, but because it could've caused an accident.)

Another time, I had just come out of the Bullseye, as a customer, and had parked my '97 Taurus next to a mammoth of a van on monster truck wheels. I was backing out of the spot, and heard honking coming from somewhere on the other side of the van. Now, my car is tiny, and it was nowhere even close to being in the aisle yet. Not to mention, I couldn't see around the van, and I was going very slowly. As I finally get clear of the van, I get met with another honk, and find another car, inching along toward me. I stop at that point, and the driver pulls around my tail and zooms further into the parking lot. All the while I'm thinking, "If you could see me, and I obviously wasn't responding to your honking, why the hell are you still trying to drive through me? I obviously couldn't see you, as you couldn't see me. How was I to know you were honking at me?"

blas
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Vans are truly the bane of my existence on the road.......a lot of people who drive them must be missing a common sense portion of their brain, because every time I see a van going down the road, it's going at least 15 mph over the speed limit, cutting people off, swerving all over like a drunk driver (it's probably just a breeder Mom trying to eat, talk on her phone, and smack her kids all at the same time), and tailgating people worse than hillbillies in big pickups do.

Ryu
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM
dont fret, maryland drivers suck too
everyday on the way to work i have to get into the right hand turn lane which is also an exit ramp from a highway with a yield. Guess how many yeild, whether they are going right or getting into the straight lane? Not very many at all...

Imogene
07-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Vans are truly the bane of my existence on the road.......a lot of people who drive them must be missing a common sense portion of their brain,
Hey!

I used to drive a van, back when my family owned one...
But I was extremely careful with it. Oh, no, it wasn't until I got to use the Taurus that I even thought about speeding (5-10 MPH over the limit, I swear). Of course, the van could never have imagined that type of speed... it was a lunker at best...

One-Fang
07-28-2006, 12:17 AM
In regard to the second problem, I never understood why our parking garages here have "do not reverse into your spot" in them. Why not? That way I can see who's coming when I leave! Much safer to do your reversing from in the lane to out of it, while you can see, than from in the park to the lane, when you can't.

Crosshair
07-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Lucky me that we don't have many people like that here in ND. Actualy we do, they just wrap themselves around a tree in the wintertime so the problem generaly solves itself.

gundam40
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Your left turn story really mirrors (literally!) the incident I saw a few days ago.

Was driving home, reaching an intersection where I had to turn right. Unfortunately, there was a bus stopped to allow passengers on and off, so I waited patiently behind it to finish. Another driver in the lane to my left (so NOT the right turn lane), suddenly cut in front of the bus to make a right turn, JUST as the bus was leaving. That almost caused an accident, just because the dumbass couldn't wait for 10secs for the bus to move. What an asshole.

protege
07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Your left turn story really mirrors (literally!) the incident I saw a few days ago.

Was driving home, reaching an intersection where I had to turn right. Unfortunately, there was a bus stopped to allow passengers on and off, so I waited patiently behind it to finish. Another driver in the lane to my left (so NOT the right turn lane), suddenly cut in front of the bus to make a right turn, JUST as the bus was leaving. That almost caused an accident, just because the dumbass couldn't wait for 10secs for the bus to move. What an asshole.

I've seen people do that...usually with predictable results. Just the other day, some idiot in a riced-out Honda cut in front of a moving city bus...which promptly knocked said Honda on its side. The Honda was totaled, while the bus just had a cracked windshield and some minor front-end damage.

Then there's the redneck in the pickup that nearly offed himself last night. This guy, just *had* to get past the semi ahead of him, and also the bus in the left lane. So, what did he do? He whipped his truck into the left lane, cutting off the bus, then cut back in front of the semi....with inches to spare:eek: I thought for sure he was going to cause a serious accident--the rest of us would have had to slam on the brakes and possibly get into the wreck as well.

I don't like being behind vans either. They're usually plodding along at 15mph under the speed limit in the passing lane.

Think Blue
07-28-2006, 04:52 PM
All this good stuff belongs in driving rants

varmintjane
07-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Lucky me that we don't have many people like that here in ND. Actualy we do, they just wrap themselves around a tree in the wintertime so the problem generaly solves itself.

Ever been to Minot? I moved here in the middle of winter and the speed limit along Highway 83 is like 65 in some places. I was going 60 because of the snow and was getting passed by idiots doing 75 on a single lane. It's even worse in the summer when the motorcycles come out and they do some dangerous crap. I had some old lady in a Buick put her left signal on and then try to swerve into the RIGHT lane where I just so happened to be. I had to swerve a little and hit the brakes to avoid getting scraped. At least no one was tailgating me at the time.

digilight
07-28-2006, 11:48 PM
In regard to the second problem, I never understood why our parking garages here have "do not reverse into your spot" in them. Why not? That way I can see who's coming when I leave! Much safer to do your reversing from in the lane to out of it, while you can see, than from in the park to the lane, when you can't.

There are three reasons for this requirement.

First so that you won't back up into the building or railing.

Second to avoid getting exhaust fumes on the building (if the parking spaces back up to a building or some type of wall). Some vehicles put out more smoke than my brother in law after a couple of beers.

Third, its an easy way to check for potentially abandoned cars. Here in the states all cars have to have license plates on the back (most states you have to on the front as well), you also have to have the registration stickers on the back plate. This way when the guards are patroling they can see that there is a car with a 2004 sticker and it should now have a 2007 sticker (red flag).

Crosshair
07-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Ever been to Minot? I moved here in the middle of winter and the speed limit along Highway 83 is like 65 in some places. I was going 60 because of the snow and was getting passed by idiots doing 75 on a single lane.
Minot is a real pain in the *ss to drive in IMHO cause you have alot of steep hills that, in the wintertime, are not fun to drive on. Here in Grand Forks, the biggest hills are at the golf course so I don't have to worry about making it up/down an icy hill road. On another note, I do see alot of dumb drivers in the winter. However my dad has it best. He has to drive 30 miles to work and will often have people pass him at high speed and then he will find them 5 miles down the road in a ditch when their car couldn't make the curve with the road conditions. SUVs mostly according to him.

Another story:

My brother works for a company that does lights, sound, and special effects. They can do everything, from doing the lights and sound for presidential appearances (Brother got to go do that.), renting you a fog machine for a party, or anything in between. They have a store in both Fargo and here in Grand Forks. (Probably elsewhere too, but I don't remember.)

My brother was working on a big event in Fargo and was driving their moving van full of equipment with a co-worker down to set up. It is the middle of winter and the wind is strong. It is snowing lightly and alot of snow is blowing across the road. The Semi-trucks are driving slow because there is a big risk that they could be blown over since the wind is going straight across the road. Ahead of my brother is a semi in the right lane and a car in the left lane. My brother is in the left lane. The car in front is passing the semi and goes into the whiteout that the semi is leaving behind/beside it. Now, if you are in this whiteout, what would you do?

a) Maintain speed until you clear the whiteout ahead of the semi.
b) Let off the accelerator until you fall back behind the semi and its whiteout.
c) Change the radio station.
d) Slam on the brakes.

Well, this woman chose D and needless to say, a moving truck full of heavy light and sound equipment does not stop, nor manuver, very well. They where lucky that only the cars rear was crunched up to the back seat from going under the truck and the truck had some front end damage. (The truck was road worthy, I don't believe her car could drive afterwards, I'm going from memory here.) This woman was a grandma with her two grandchildren in the back. The cop who came to the accident (A woman cop) was royaly pissed at the grandma for doing something so dumb. The cop really chewed her out, but had to give my brother the ticket because he had "hit" her. She really watered down the ticket though because she knew that my brother was not at fault. My brothers boss was cool about it, all he cared about was that he had kept it on the road and not wrecked the truck/gotten hurt.

Knightmare
07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
All you people in other states that are missing bad drivers, that's because the rest of them are down here in Florida. Not only do we get the senile seniors that should NOT be driving in any shape, way, or form, we get tourists and the people that moved down here. I am a transplant, but I was never a sucky driver.

But people down here? Forget it. Every day I pray I make it to work in one piece.
There are so many accidents down here... and I'm not even in a metro area!

XCashier
07-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Not only do we get the senile seniors that should NOT be driving in any shape, way, or form, we get tourists and the people that moved down here.
Same here. We also get a lot of people who, for some reason, think stopping at red lights is optional. Twice in one week I've nearly been hit by some idiot who blasted through a red light, then looked at me with a moronic grin. Pay attention to the road when you're driving!

Phoenix is a bad driver's paradise. We get people who move here from all over the nation and bring their bad driving habits with them. The impatience of the easterners, the snail's-pace of the Midwesterners and the speed demons from California all on our thousands of miles of overheated blacktop. Plus we've got one of the highest car theft rates in the country, so the cops are kept very busy.

I can't wait to move out of here!

Slave to the Phone
07-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Phoenix is a bad driver's paradise. We get people who move here from all over the nation and bring their bad driving habits with them. The impatience of the easterners, the snail's-pace of the Midwesterners and the speed demons from California all on our thousands of miles of overheated blacktop. Plus we've got one of the highest car theft rates in the country, so the cops are kept very busy.

I can't wait to move out of here!

Not only do you have all of the above, you get the snowbirds too. People who live there year round tend to adjust, the ones who go home for 6 months relearn all their bad habits and bring them back.

Are you planning to stay in the state? If so, don't move to Prescott. We gots all of the above bad drivers, crammed into narrow roads and inadaquite highways. You don't even want to know what happens when it snows :eek:

blas
07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
XCashier, I know all about the moronic grin!

It never fails, I could bet an entire paycheck on it, any time someone nearly hits me (in a parking lot or pulls too far out in front of a stop sign, or forgets to look for traffic, etc etc etc), I look at the driver, and they are usually LAUGHING. And if there are passengers, they are ALL laughing.

For instance, I was pulling out of a gas station Friday morning after work, and I had the right of way, and a car with some stupid guy in it tried to pull out in front of me. I stopped, he stopped, I looked at him.............he was LAUGHING at what accident he'd almost caused.

I don't get how that is funny, laughable, or even worth smiling about. It's not just the kids, it's people of all ages.

Cyanocobalamin
07-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Just because there are sidewalks and crosswalks doesn't mean a street is pedestrian friendly! I'd say my pet peeve is when a driver stops IN THE CROSSWALK. I'm always tempted to hop up onto any car's hood that does this, walk across, then jump off. If you end up stopping in front of the line, you were going too fast and/or didn't start braking early enough. This happens a lot at the intersection nearest my apartment, where I've seen lots of blatant disregards for the law.

Once there was someone waiting at the front of the queue of vehicles, stopped at the red light. The perpendicular street had a green, but there was no one coming. This genius decided the light was actually a stop sign and went forward anyway. All I could do was watch and :eek: From the far right lane it's hard to see the perpendicular street, which goes uphill and curves sharply, and you never know when some arsewipe is going to careen down like a rabid horse.

Many of your missing bad drivers have migrated to Washington State.

Sunsetsky
07-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Once I was driving home from Denver. I was in the fast lane just driving along. I was going the speed limit and keeping up with the traffic just fine. I drive a little 1998 volkswagen beetle. I look in the rear view mirror and I see one of those huge pickup trucks ON my ass. If I had to slam on my breaks for any reason, my car would've been totaled. I'm going a good speed in the fast lane...not going too slow but not flying like a speed demon. I look in the mirror again and the ass is flashing his lights at me. I switch lanes and let the bastard pass. And what does he do? After he passes me he switches to the lane I had just merged onto.

Oh...and there was the time I almost got hit by an suv at walmart where I work. I posted this story a few boards back.

I remember going into work that day and both fronts of my legs were hurting like hell (I still don't know what was wrong with them). It felt like somebody took a hammer and beat them. It hurt to stand and move around a lot. So, the manager let me leave work a few hours early. It was snowing a little bit outside and dark out. Because of the snow, the roads were a bit icy. I began to cross the street carefully because my legs were bothering me and because of the ice. A girl driving her Jeep Cherokee turned onto the street while I was crossing. Now...when you see a pedestrian crossing you stop right? Well...this idiot didn't and I had to quicken my pace. She ended up being only a few inches away from me and was still slowly coming at me. I had to jump out of the way at this point to avoid getting hit. And when I turned to give her my evil death look from hell....I saw that she was laughing with her friend. At that point...I was wishing I wore my steel toed boots to work that day.

XCashier
07-30-2006, 03:18 AM
Not only do you have all of the above, you get the snowbirds too. People who live there year round tend to adjust, the ones who go home for 6 months relearn all their bad habits and bring them back.
How could I have forgotten about the snowbirds! Winter visitors, usually driving big-ass RVs at about half the speed limit, blocking the roads and taking up multiple parking spaces. Sheesh!

Are you planning to stay in the state?
Nope, planning to move to Oregon (Eugene area). I'm beyond sick and tired of Arizona. I need greenery, fresh air and drinkable water!

ShockQueen
07-30-2006, 04:03 AM
The one thing I can't stand is, when you go to any shopping centre, and they have the crosswalks in front of them, the people who just zoom through them while people are crossing! :pissed: If I'm driving and see people crossing, I STOP - period.

I've been tempted to "New York slap" a few:devil: , but then thought better of it. :angel:

ditchdj
07-30-2006, 04:11 AM
I once did the "New York Slap" to some idiot that almost hit me. I had my ring on so I hope I left my mark. The way I see it, that's a small price to pay since the dumb bitch put my life in danger just so she could shave three seconds off her road trip. :pissed:

A lot of people have trouble reading the wording on a stop sign. Not sure if it's from the abundant drug use, which this part of the state is notorious for, or what. I think that anyone from the UK or Australia would feel comfortable driving here since people often drive on the left hand side of the road here.

ditchdj
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
How's THIS for a new Vonage ad???

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=81132

How about showing this road-rage fight on tape and saying:

"People do really dumb things like assault someone right in front of a camera surveillance store. They also pay too much for phone service!"

:D

blas
07-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I've wanted to pound on the hood of several elderly people's vehicles (mostly at WalMart) because they refuse to stop for anyone. Sure, they are snailing along at the rate that rocks form, but the thing is, you see them coming, you see little gramma who can't see over the wheel, or granpa asleep at the wheel.......them and their big land yacht..........

It's harder than you think to avoid being ran over by old people. One of these days I'm throwing my shoe at their windshield. Maybe that will wake them up. Then I will seriously get into talking to the right people to hopefully get most old people off of the road (if that is even feasable).

XCashier
07-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Then I will seriously get into talking to the right people to hopefully get most old people off of the road (if that is even feasable).
Unfortunately, it isn't. Whenever that issue even comes up, the elderly show up in droves to vote it down. They can not, will not admit that they are a danger behind the wheel, that their reflexes have slowed, eyesight dimmed and they cannot handle their H2 Designer Sherman Tank; all they care about is not losing their "independence". :help:

Crosshair
07-31-2006, 02:16 AM
They can not, will not admit that they are a danger behind the wheel, that their reflexes have slowed, eyesight dimmed and they cannot handle their H2 Designer Sherman Tank; all they care about is not losing their "independence". :help:
My car sacrificed itself by ramming an old persons car who ran the stop sign. The old guy driving couldn't even turn his head.:eek: After I hit him and spun him around, he ran into my drivers door and continued to try and drive foreward. The cop tapping on the window got his attention and he let off the gas and backed up so I could get out. He was found to be 100% at fault.

Another time an old person ran me and 2 other cars off the road when they made a right turn on red into the left lane. We all swerved to get out of their way. Then yet another time an old gal was driving the wrong way down one of the main streets.:eek: Thanks goodness my grandma realized that she couldn't drive and let us take her around town.

XCashier
07-31-2006, 02:33 AM
Thanks goodness my grandma realized that she couldn't drive and let us take her around town.
That's how I got my first car; my grandmother gave her car to me when she decided she couldn't deal with city traffic any more.

I am truly grateful to those sensible elderly folks who know their own limitations and graciously give up driving for the safety of everyone else. :) The ones who stubbornly hold on to the car keys when they can't even control the car properly, those are the ones who scare me. :(

ArenaBoy
07-31-2006, 06:13 AM
Michigan has some very bad drivers, especially if you live near metro Detroit the home of cars. Everyone drives some SUV and thinks they're king of the road while I'm in my little car obeying traffic laws. People here tailgate you, will have their brights shining in your car, etc. One time. the day after Christmas 2 years ago, I was driving to a party and a idiot is tailgating me, the road is very icy so I don't take any risks I turn and because of the tailgater I'm fishtailing and I almost crashed into a oncoming car. I also got into a accident at my school because some lady cut through the parking lot with out seeing me back-up and she tells me that I'm a bad driver etc. The funny thing was, she was at fault because my friends saw it happen and helped me out.

hecubus
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
We have our share of idiot drivers in Wisconsin, too. What always amazes me is that it snows here every winter, yet most people seem to forget how to drive in snowy conditions from year to year. Every time there's even a hint of snow on the roads, you see morons driving too fast, turning too quickly, not applying the brakes early enough, etc. Not to mention all of the cars that end up in ditches or otherwise off the road,

But what really scares me is the way people drive on the street where my brother and his family live. Not only are there condominiums all along the street, with a lot of kids around (including my three nephews), there is also an elementary school just down the street. But does that stop people from driving 40, 50, even 60 mph down the street? Of course not!

And what makes it worse is that, several times, my father has called the police department to complain about the way people drive on that street, and what do the cops do? Place a police car in plain sight on the street, and then say that they were unable to notice anyone speeding down the road! :rant:

Canarr
07-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Ah colleague of mine had a run-in with an elderly driver in the parking lot of a local Wal-Mart. She'd just finished loading groceries into her trunk and turned around just in time to see an older man back his Mercedes out of his parking space opposite her car. Now, he wasn't turning left or right, the way you'd have to do in order to actually be able to drive away; he was driving STRAIGHT AT HER.

She started waving, then yelling, then finally BANGING ON HIS TRUNK (apparently, he wasn't moving very fast), but to no avail. Finally, she had to get out of the way to avoid getting her legs smashed. The Mercedes hit her bumper, then awkwardly turned left and started to drive off! Meanwhile, her boyfriend had come out from the passenger side of her car and stood in front of the Mercedes, while she knocked on the driver's window.

C - my colleague
TOTD - Too Old To Drive

TOTD: What do you want?
C: What do I want? You just hit my car!
TOTD: No, I didn't. I would've noticed that.
C: Yes, you did. Look at your and my bumper (white car vs. dark blue).
TOTD: Oh, okay. Well, maybe I did; I don't hear so good anymore.
C: :eek:

sibermaus
07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Once I was driving home from Denver. I was in the fast lane just driving along. I was going the speed limit and keeping up with the traffic just fine. I drive a little 1998 volkswagen beetle. I look in the rear view mirror and I see one of those huge pickup trucks ON my ass.

I was under the impression you weren't supposed to drive in the "fast lane". Hereabout we call it the passing lane, and you're only supposed to use it for passing, though people also use it to allow cars to merge onto the highway from on-ramps, getting over long enough for other cars to merge in, then getting back over. Unless you meant you were passing a line of cars on the right, but it sounded more like you were just driving in the inside lane for the heck of it.

blas
07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Where I live there isn't any written rule about the left lane, it's just....well....courteous to go at the very least, a bit over the speed limit if you aren't passing or making room for merging vehicles.

I second the stupid Wisconsin winter drivers!

protege
07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
I am truly grateful to those sensible elderly folks who know their own limitations and graciously give up driving for the safety of everyone else. :)

My grandmother is nearly 90, and doesn't drive much during the day, and never at night. Most of her trips include the grocery store and church. Other than that, she actually hates driving. Too many idiots on the roads, especially the highways, so I can't say I blame her. Because of that, if she wants to go shopping, she waits until the weekends so I can take her. She's already accepted that she might not be driving much longer as her vision is slowly getting worse. We've decided that if/when she can no longer drive, she's still going to keep her car--it's easier for her to get into/out of than my car, and is better on longer trips.

Grandpa, on the other hand (dad's dad) was a different story. Even though he was very ill (Alzheimer's was turning his mind into Swiss cheese), he still insisted on driving. That was, until he was backing his brand-new Sable out of the garage...and took off the passenger-side mirror, along with some of the trim. He'd already done it once before, but after the second time, he'd had enough. By then, he'd had a stroke, and had no choice but to give it up. He was pissed about losing his independence. Some people might not think that's a big deal...but when you've always been able to do everything yourself, it's a huge blow. Anyway, he didn't have a choice--between the cancer and Alzheimer's, he was dying and was in a nursing home by then. Taking his keys wasn't a problem. However, we still hated to do it though.

As for sucky winter drivers...Pennsylvania has its own breed. Nevermind that it snows *every* damn year...people still can't handle driving in it. Since I took driver's ed in a blizzard, snow and rain just don't scare me. Too many people freak out over one little snowflake. My feeling has always been that if you can't handle driving in snow/rain/traffic, stay the hell home or get out of the way of those who can :D

ditchdj
07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
I remember coming up to a line of cars sitting at a green light. After a few seconds I just simply go around them and there's this 120-year-old-looking old woman just sitting in a small green pickup truck at the front of the line with a blank look on her face as if she was lost in China! :confused: After the person behind her started going around her she finally started moving. Then there's the idiotic old man sitting in the Walmart parking lot with his car backed into the aisle and refusing to move. Honked the horn and nothing. Finally I just turned around and shook my head at him and began going the other way when he finally started moving again. :confused: Then there's the 50-some-year-old in a pickup truck that's struggling to park it in his driveway and insists on "giving his transmission a workout" by going forward and backward back and forth, blocking the road. I came up on the line of cars waiting and one of the cars in line waves at him to go so I went around them and it just happened when the dipshit started backing out into the road again. He almost backed into me and honked. :lol: I was at the stop sign to turn and he was still going forward and backward. Why in the hell are you gonna get a huge ass truck if you dont know how to park it, let alone drive it??? Idiot.

ditchdj
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Michigan has some very bad drivers, especially if you live near metro Detroit the home of cars. Everyone drives some SUV and thinks they're king of the road while I'm in my little car obeying traffic laws. People here tailgate you, will have their brights shining in your car, etc. One time. the day after Christmas 2 years ago, I was driving to a party and a idiot is tailgating me, the road is very icy so I don't take any risks I turn and because of the tailgater I'm fishtailing and I almost crashed into a oncoming car. I also got into a accident at my school because some lady cut through the parking lot with out seeing me back-up and she tells me that I'm a bad driver etc. The funny thing was, she was at fault because my friends saw it happen and helped me out.

Michigan is legendary in the Toledo area for being god-awful drivers. They seem to think that basically anything covered with pavement or gravel is a "passing lane". That includes shoulders, turn lanes, sidewalks, playgrounds, etc. That's why I avoid I-75 through Ohio when I have to go back up north.

I can never forget the Michigan driver in Indianapolis pulling a boat. He was flying in and out of each lane so fast his boat was fishtailing wildly back and forth. What an idiot. At one point his boat came within a couple inches of hockey-checking the car next to it.

Cia
08-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Was in Orlando, Florida in May and drove around town for a couple of days. I stressed out so much that I had to take pepto to settle my poor tummie. I haven't driven in a town larger than 65,000 in 17 years.

What's the use of speed limit signs on I-5 if no one is going to pay attention to them?

technical.angel
08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Juwl, are you an Illinoisian?

Cause we Missiourians have a few things to say about your drivers.

Jenni :angel:

LostMyMind
08-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Was in Orlando, Florida in May and drove around town for a couple of days.
:lol: Too bad you didn't drive to Tampa and drive around there too. Would have given you a new insight and desire to walk.

I do have to say, drivers in Tampa/Orlando are pretty bad. But you can't blame it all on Floridians, damn snowbirds ;)

ArenaBoy
08-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Michigan is legendary in the Toledo area for being god-awful drivers. They seem to think that basically anything covered with pavement or gravel is a "passing lane". That includes shoulders, turn lanes, sidewalks, playgrounds, etc. That's why I avoid I-75 through Ohio when I have to go back up north.

I can never forget the Michigan driver in Indianapolis pulling a boat. He was flying in and out of each lane so fast his boat was fishtailing wildly back and forth. What an idiot. At one point his boat came within a couple inches of hockey-checking the car next to it.

Ah, I-75 the freeway I always avoid unless I need to use it. At least you live in Ohio, I have to deal with these asshats everyday and one of the reasons I don't go out much. My mom got pissed off at a driver so much that she flipped him off, the look on his face was priceless. :lol:

ditchdj
08-03-2006, 04:58 PM
It amazes me how people up there can drive like gas is still 99 cents a gallon! Bad enough the cost of living up there is so sickingly high and then have to pay to fill a 27-30 gallon monster tank on the Hummer or Tahoe at least once a week (which is like 80-90 dollars a week!) :eek: That's like four times as high as my gas/electric bill is a month. Do they just max out their credit cards and dont pay on them or what??? :confused:

air914
08-03-2006, 07:36 PM
One of the worst things it the cops that are idiot drivers. I was driving from CA to KY and there were those "you must have 2 people in the car to drive in this lane" things (don't know what it's really called, we don't have them here). Anyway, I'm driving along (it's a fast lane anyway) and all of a sudden I see this cop has pulled someone over and the whole back end of the cop's car is sitting IN the lane....... I almost hit a cop and it was b/c he was stupid and basically parked his car in the fast lane.....

I also hate the cops that pull people over in the middle of the road........ I dont' know if it is teh driver's fault or the cops - but I would motion or signal to the driver somehow to pull over in a parking lot or pull over ot the side of the road - not in the middle of the freakin road!!!! You CAN wait until you get to a safe spot to pull over when a cop is behind you - just b/c he turns his lights on doesn't mean you have to dead stop where you are..........

Oh and I totally agree we need to get old people off the streets - once you turn 55, you should have to pass a driver's test every year........ just to show you are competent enough and physically able to still drive...... I remember a story awhile back about an old guy running over 3 little girls. He didn't even stop b/c he thought he had run over "trash cans". I know I'd hate losing my independence, but we've gotta find some kind of happy medium - some way for old people to get where they need to go but w/out them actually behind the wheel or something....... granny give up your independence before you force someone to give up their life b/c you can't see them when you run over them!!! What's more important? Your independence or someone's life????

K245five
08-04-2006, 03:35 PM
I've wanted to pound on the hood of several elderly people's vehicles (mostly at WalMart) because they refuse to stop for anyone. Sure, they are snailing along at the rate that rocks form, but the thing is, you see them coming, you see little gramma who can't see over the wheel, or granpa asleep at the wheel.......them and their big land yacht..........

It's harder than you think to avoid being ran over by old people. One of these days I'm throwing my shoe at their windshield. Maybe that will wake them up. Then I will seriously get into talking to the right people to hopefully get most old people off of the road (if that is even feasable).

Christmas of '02 at the Evil Bullseye:

I was headed down a thruway in the shopping center where the Bullseye was located. I had just finished up my Christmas shopping and was headed home. Now, as always, Christmas shopping is a nightmare, and I was glad I was FINALLY done with it!

As I was headed down a thruway to the main road to leave the shopping center, there was this elderly couple in a Cadillac in a handicapped spot. I was just about to the end of the thruway when the brake lights come on this elderly couple's Caddy. Normally, drivers will look before they back out of a spot and stop if something is coming.

Not these old farts! The woman driving just put that sucker in reverse and backed out! Didn't even look behind here or anything. As a result, I had to slam on my brakes, making them squeal and burn rubber on the pavement. I stopped just barely short of these two old geezers!

At that point, I was ticked off not only because of the incident, but because of the fact that I was driving my folks' jeep(my car was in the shop) and I didn't want my folks' ride smashed up! Combine that with the Christmas shopping, and I was fit to be tied. I rolled down my drivers side window and yelled:

"NEXT TIME F***ING LOOK BEHIND YOU BEFORE YOU F***ING BACK OUT OF A PARKING SPOT YOU F***ING OLD MORONS!!!"

The woman driving had that open mouthed, trout like look of shock that most elderly people have in situations like that, and her husband in the passenger side was giving me a death glare.

That was the first and only time I've ever actually yelled at somebody for driving stupid. I felt bad about it later after I'd calmed down a little bit. Usually I just shake my head in disgust and let it go right after.

protege
08-04-2006, 05:08 PM
That was the first and only time I've ever actually yelled at somebody for driving stupid. I felt bad about it later after I'd calmed down a little bit. Usually I just shake my head in disgust and let it go right after.

I'm usually pretty calm while driving. There's no point in escalating things further.

This one time though, I just lost it. On the way home one night, some idiot in a Buick tried to merge into the front of my car :eek: We were both in the right lane, I was behind him. My exit ramp was coming up, so I put my signal on, and started to move over. As I'm about to pass the Buick, he nearly forced me off the road! I laid on the horn, and yelled something like "learn to drive, you fucking moron." He *had* to have heard me, since I had my window down, and yes, he *did* flip me off. Um, let me get this straight--you nearly hit me because you're an idiot, and somehow *I'm* the asshole :confused: I don't think so!

ditchdj
08-04-2006, 05:09 PM
About three years ago my wife was in an accident. She told me some idiot was yapping away on his cellphone and rear-ended a car waiting to pull out onto the highway. That car ended up being pushed out, the guy in front of her had to slam on his brakes. My wife wasnt as lucky and hit him, smashing up her front end. Now, my wife is normally quiet and passive. When she's yelling and cussing and in tears you know something's up. She said she stormed out yelling and cussing and was like, "GD/MF/I just bought this f- car look at it! Get away from me before I knock you the f- out!" :lol: She told one of the guys involved when he told her to calm down. :lol: My wife takes great pride in owning a car and paying it off so you dont tell her to calm down when her car is the only one wrecked and you were part of the whole thing. So it got fixed under warranty and we still have the car.

Imogene
08-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Juwl, are you an Illinoisian?

Cause we Missiourians have a few things to say about your drivers.

Jenni :angel:

Nope... *grabs the two states mentioned and swaps them for you*

New story, now that I've finally returned to this thread...
The other day, I was driving into a strip mall area, heading to Slacker's, driving the correct way up a lane, and about to pull into a spot I saw on my left. Suddeny, a van turns into my lane (wrong direction!) and nearly hits me, luckily, I was paying attention, and stopped. Once he passed, two morons in a jeep came into the lane as well. I had already had it with morons coming up the lane at me, and threw my hands in the air over the steering wheel. I saw the guy driving the jeep smirk, but they stopped to let me park, then drove to the end of the lane, swerved three lanes over, and looped back to grab a parking spot three spots away from me.

Ah, yes, forgot this little story. Last Friday, mom and I went to pick up Dad from the airport. On our drive home, we start to travel along side a procession of Ameren cherry picker trucks. This was the week of the huge power outage. We figured these trucks had been on loan, and were heading home... Dad's driving, and suddenly lays on the horn, and I looked up just in time to see one of these trucks trying to creep into the lane right where we were driving. Dad was driving, not me.

Sunsetsky
08-11-2006, 03:53 AM
but it sounded more like you were just driving in the inside lane for the heck of it.

It's to my understanding the law varies from state to state. It was during rush hour when it happened. During rush hour here you're permitted to drive in both lanes because it is so busy. It was hard to switch lanes while in Denver so I just stayed where I was. It happened once the traffic began to speed up again (in the outskirts of Denver) and I didn't switch to the slow lane right off the bat.

I was told by another cashier that someone was hit in our parking lot. Although...I have to say the driver and the person hit were both stupid in this situation. Apparently a girl and her boyfriend had gotten into an argument. The boyfriend jumped into his car and began to drive off...leaving the girl behind. Well...she stupidly jumped onto the hood of his car while he was moving. And he stupidly didn't stop. She fell off and was hit.