View Full Version : A hunka hunka burnin' ... brownie??

11-06-2017, 02:35 AM
At The Mothership we use some kind of weird appliance to heat foods. It heats foods very quickly but is NOT a microwave; it definitely uses a heating element of some sort.

We put a piece of heat-resistant paper under the food item for the sake of hygiene.

You can see where this is going, right ...

Customer orders a brownie and asks to have it warmed. I pop it into the warmer. Warmer beeps after a few seconds and I open the door to pull out the brownie.

Turns out I'd put the paper in at an odd angle. One corner was touching the back of the appliance and, apparently, the heating element. Little flames were dancing on one corner of the paper.

We use long-handled tongs to remove food from this appliance. So visualize me yanking brownie and paper out really really fast and frantically waving them around to try to douse the flames.

It didn't work, of course. The ambient air just encouraged the flames to spread.

Finally I dropped the whole mess into the nearest sink, turned on the faucet, and said to the customer, "I'm really sorry but I'm gonna have to do this again."

11-06-2017, 02:56 AM
Not sure flambé-ing or flame-broiling are good cooking methods for brownies. ;)

Seriously, glad this was so minor, with no injuries and the only damage being to one brownie.

Food Lady
11-08-2017, 04:29 AM
This reminds me of my first week at the cafe at the Circles of Hades. We had a convection oven and I put a pizza in with the cardboard because I have at times bought pizzas with heat-resistant cardboard that you bake it on. Hey, it's a thing. Anyway, this pizza was not supposed to be cooked like that and you guessed it--fire! fire! We also routinely burned popcorn. You weren't officially initiated until you'd done that.

11-09-2017, 01:51 AM
For the longest time when mom was in culinary school we had a small, vaguely hockey-puck-like object mummified in plastic wrap in an odd place of honor on the mantel. It was an English muffin that she found on one of the salamander ovens. Apparently a student had popped it in there intending to toast it and it either fell out of reach or just got forgotten. There was never any smoke or other indication anything was amiss, just a small lump of charcoal they found later while cleaning.

11-09-2017, 03:31 AM
If someone set fire to a brownie they were warming up for me, I'd laugh and tell them to take their time.