PDA

View Full Version : Customer wanted me to clean off the belt before unloading her groceries

snugglegirl05
05-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Yesterday at work on a busy Sunday a customer of mine asked me to clean off the belt at the register I was assigned to before she unloaded her groceries due to her claim that there are e coli and germs on the belt.

taxguykarl
05-14-2018, 05:17 PM
This customer was serious, right?:eek:

Query: how often are checkout counter conveyors cleaned at your store? Are they cleaned at all?

Tama
05-14-2018, 07:25 PM
When I was a cashier cleaning was one of those things you were encouraged to do when you had no customers, but...I don't think it's done too often.

Nunavut Pants
05-14-2018, 08:06 PM
"Well, sir, you probably shouldn't be licking the conveyor belt in the first place...."

Aria
05-14-2018, 09:34 PM
To germaphobes, belts at the grocery store are probably a nightmare, even with their food bagged up.

MoonCat
05-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Consider how many hands have touched the products before you picked them up and put them in your cart.

notalwaysright
05-14-2018, 11:13 PM
This person, if they really had a phobia, could go through the SCO. Then they could leave the items in the cart (the GERM COVERED cart), scan, and drop into the bag. I understand there's an ick factor with the belts, I've sometimes been a little icked out when the belt was wet or dirty looking. But basically everything in public is disgusting, there's no getting around it.

csquared
05-14-2018, 11:29 PM
The belt is the least of your concerns. Just don't think about it, or you will never step foot into a grocery store again.

Mental_Mouse
05-15-2018, 01:08 AM
If you really want to brain-crash that sort you can tell them that not only are they walking through a fog of microorganisms suspended in the air (and attached to nearly every surface around them), but the bacteria inside their body vastly outnumber their own body's cells.

Aria
05-15-2018, 04:10 AM
If you really want to brain-crash that sort you can tell them that not only are they walking through a fog of microorganisms suspended in the air (and attached to nearly every surface around them), but the bacteria inside their body vastly outnumber their own body's cells.

Are we human beings hosting vast quantities of bacteria, or are we a group of bacteria getting together and having a human experience? *thonking*

Kristev
05-22-2018, 02:45 AM
Based on the way most humans behave, I'd say humans are little more than costumes for a plethora of bacteria and parasites.

Mental_Mouse
05-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Based on the way most humans behave, I'd say humans are little more than costumes for a plethora of bacteria and parasites.

Well, some people make that more obvious than others.

TheWolfEmperor
05-22-2018, 01:40 PM
I always find germaphobes to be the least consistent people. Some probably are genuinely concerned about infection whereas with others I think it's just a form of having control over others.

The person I was living with for three years did not like shaking hands. He didn't like opening doors. But he had no problem using a make-up napkin to absorb the pus from his dog's growths and then throwing it on the kitchen floor until they piled up.

He didn't use gloves while doing this, either.

Go figure.

Tanasi
05-23-2018, 07:14 AM
I'll admit that as I've aged I've become more germ-phobic. Growing up on a farm...well there are just lots of nasty and dangerous things you have to do to protect your critters, crops, family and make a living.
On check-out belts I'd be more concerned about meat juices and potential poisonness OTC chemicals leaking, but that's just me. I don't buy supermarket meat and rarely buy fresh veggies/fruits.

purplecat41877
05-25-2018, 04:39 AM
I clean my belt as much as I can. Customers have complimented me on how clean the belt looks.:)

workerbee222
05-31-2018, 02:33 AM
In my brief career as a checkout person, I guess I cleaned the belt every chance I got.

Grapes make me nervous. Every time I walk by the produce, someone has got their hands in the bags, re-arranging, looking at them. You never know how clean their hands are, whether they ever use a tissue or anything. Everyone seems to let their snotty-nosed kids "have a snack" from bags of grapes they're not even putting in their carts.