PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

Ghel
05-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Now that spring is here, I want to take some vacation. I can't afford to go anywhere, but a week off from work would be nice.

My work still doesn't have a branch manager. I'm the only lender who's here regularly - Goodhair is in the office one or two days a week, and never for the full day. Even some of the tellers have mentioned they don't feel comfortable taking vacation when we've only got four full-time employees at our branch, especially since the part-time teller has the work ethic of wilted lettuce.

Also, because we don't have a branch manager, I'm not sure who my supervisor is. So I'm not even sure who's supposed to approve my vacation. Ted is the person who "oversees" the branches, so I talk with him almost every day. But I think my supervisor is the Senior Loan Officer (who's also the bank president). That's who I've been calling on the rare instances I'm out sick.

When I talked to Ted yesterday, I mentioned wanting to take vacation and my concerns about covering my duties. He was sympathetic. At least he didn't immediately say I couldn't take vacation. He thought we could have the tellers direct any loan customers to him while I was gone on vacation, but he'd have to verify that was ok with the Senior Loan Officer first. [sigh]

I'm going to take vacation this summer. It might not be as soon as I want, but they can't deny me the vacation I've earned. I need some time away from this place.

Pixelated
05-17-2019, 05:12 PM
I hear ya. A month or so ago I booked the last week in May off for exactly that reason: just to get out of The Clusterfuck for a while. Like you, I can't afford to go anywhere, and I will certainly spend the bulk of that time scrubbing out my apartment, which is in desperate need of it, AND I am do not get paid vacation time, but ...

At this point I don't care. I just want to wake up in the mornings and know I don't have to get in my car and drive to WTF-Is-Going-To-Go-Wrong-Today.

Hope you can get it all straightened out.

Ghel
05-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Pixelated. I talked with Ted today, and he said to go ahead and put in for my vacation. We'll have any loan customers directed to him while I'm gone.

Yay! Now I can look forward to vacation without worrying. (Well, no more than normal, anyway.)

csquared
05-18-2019, 01:24 AM
Good luck with the vacation. I am in DC right now on my vacation. I have already spent about 8 hours on the phone/computer taking care of problems ove the past three days. Looks like I'll be getting one of my vacation days back.

freeatlast
05-18-2019, 06:02 PM
My daughter is in private banking and they are required to take 5 consecutive days of vacation each year. While they are on vacations, they are audited to make sure nothing shady is being done.

taxguykarl
05-21-2019, 06:02 PM
required to take 5 consecutive days of vacation each year. While they are on vacations, they are audited to make sure nothing shady is being done.That makes a whole lot of sense. So many scammers get caught that way.

Ghel
05-21-2019, 07:44 PM
We are also required to take 5 consecutive vacation days per year. As far as I'm aware, there's no special auditing done. But it would be a good time to catch fraud and embezzling.

csquared
05-22-2019, 04:01 AM
You don't have to do an audit. Sometimes, you just need to sit back and watch what fails.

Nunavut Pants
05-22-2019, 05:49 PM
...or what succeeds...