PDA

View Full Version : Random Lady at the Sbucks

toolbert
08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Last night I was out with friend getting some caffinated treats and helping him work on a cover letter at the local Sbucks (well, one of the 3 local ones >.>). We finish up and go outside and start talking next to my car about random things when all of a sudden a car pulls up right next to mine. Now, that's not normally a bad thing, but the space she park's in isn't a space. It's a spot for wheelchairs to move to the only handicapped spot in this small lot. This old lady gets out of the car, stares at us and asks us if they're open. Both my friend and I just kinda nod yeah and then she says:

SC: I know I parked wrong, but it's not like there's going to be any chair people that really need this spot anyway.

Our jaws dropped. The nerve of some people. My coffee is so much more important than the handicapped people who need to use this space to get back into their car!

ditchdj
08-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Of course. We dont need no stinkin' laws. Of course unless someone like her gets done wrong.

Erin
08-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Where I live in Nebraska, you can take a short class and volunteer to write tickets for people who park illegally in the handicapped spots. I asked for the info packet, but never took the class.

There have been several times that I've wished I'd gone thru with the class so that I could just drive around the shopping centers by my house and write tickets or have people towed.

My mom has bad knees, (she's had her kneecaps replaced, still has problems) and so we have a handicapped sticker on my car for her. There have been times we've come out of a store with my mom in a wheelchair and not been able to get her to the passenger side of my car because some asshat has parked in the wheelchair access space and parked so close to my door that I wonder how he was able to open his car door to get out of his own car.

Once, I decided to just try to push my mom as close as I could get her to the car so she could stand up and use the side of the cars to support herself to get in my car. It's just too bad that I repeatedly "accidentally" :angel: scraped the side of the guy's car with my mom's wheelchair.

Becks
08-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Where I live in Nebraska, you can take a short class and volunteer to write tickets for people who park illegally in the handicapped spots.

Ooooh, I wonder if NJ and WI has classes like that?

ladodger34
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I used to get pissed at that stuff too. My grandma had a handicap placard for a long time because of bad hips. She walked plenty fine after her replacement (back in '86) but the doctor made sure she had a lifetime placard because he knew that it would go out again. Prior to her second surgery last May, the hip had been bugging her for quite some time and she really needed the placard when she was out.

It always bugged me to think that because some able bodied person was too lazy to walk an extra hundred yards (and I'm being generous, it's usually about 100 feet) that my grandma would have to suffer. There were days that she could hardly walk but still had to get groceries and stuff (and she was too proud to call us for help).

Incidentally, why is that people have an overwhelming urge to park as close to the store as possible? What, the extra minute walking is going to cost them a ton of time?

RecoveringKinkoid
08-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, when I was towing, those were the :censored: I always tried to have towed first.

I mean, really. How self-important and clueless can you get?

How about the NIMRODS that put their carts into the handicapped spot instead of the cart corral (which is frequently 3 steps away). This is not a fluke. I see this everywhere. What is UP with that? What, your average wheelchair bound person doesn't mind moving 15 carts so they can park????:wtf:

And it always kills me there's more than one cart, too. What, one idiot does it so the next two dozen people see that and decide it's okay to do, too?

Gaaaah. F&%king lemmings. :rant:

Erin
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Ooooh, I wonder if NJ and WI has classes like that?

You should check and see... I had to go look it up again for the city of Omaha to see what they call their program. The program is sponsored by the Omaha Police Dept and it's called The Volunteer Handicap Parking Enforcement Patrol. Maybe if you Google the police department for the town you live in, they might have one of those programs?

I might check with the Omaha PD again about their program...sounds like fun...writing $144+ tickets to people who are too lazy and stupid to park 20 or 30 feet further.

PuckishOne
08-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Whenever I see someone pull into a marked handicap-parking spot, I want to stand there, a look of concern on my face, and once they get out of the car I want to say, "Oh, I see...you're mentally handicapped. You can't read the sign." And then just walk away....

Oh, if only... :rolleyes:

RecoveringKinkoid
08-02-2006, 07:02 PM
A friend and I actually did leave a sign that said "We realize stupidity is a handicap, but you CAN walk." on this idiot's trans am. He was this huge burly neckless guy who couldn't put his arms all the way down.

I saw someone leave a cart in the handicapped spot once at Publix, and made a big, loud deal of retrieving it, and pushing it past the person, all the while bitching and moaning, LOUDLY, about how stupid some people are, leaving carts in the handicapped spot.

I seriously doubt they even made the connection.

Erin
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
A friend and I actually did leave a sign that said "We realize stupidity is a handicap, but you CAN walk." on this idiot's trans am. He was this huge burly neckless guy who couldn't put his arms all the way down.

did this guy have the placard? Some people who are handicapped and have the placard look "normal" and can walk (like my mom) but just very short distances before they have to stop and rest. (like if they have heart problems)

I only say anything to someone parking in the handicapped spots, if they dont have the placards...

RecoveringKinkoid
08-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, in all honesty, I don't know. I did not see one on his rear view mirror. I hope not, because then WE would have been the jerks. :o

We just saw a very capable-looking young guy who looked like he worked out in the weight room on a real regular basis park, get out, and walk pretty steadily toward the door.

Erin
08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you were right...

Gurndigarn
08-03-2006, 01:47 AM
SC: I know I parked wrong, but it's not like there's going to be any chair people that really need this spot anyway.

Cell phones are your friends. Just remember, call the regular police line, not 911.

One-Fang
08-03-2006, 05:05 AM
We just saw a very capable-looking young guy who looked like he worked out in the weight room on a real regular basis park, get out, and walk pretty steadily toward the door.
What you didn't see was him coming back out two minutes later, assisting his elderly and infirm grandmother by carrying her shopping bags for her.

I'm all "yay go" on punishing the freaking nitwits, but Erin's right, only do it if there's no placard. Sometimes the car is legit, the reason is legit, but the one person you see moving doesn't "appear" to need it.

Mixed Bag
08-03-2006, 07:00 AM
you can take a short class and volunteer to write tickets

Oooh, can we also do it for people who block traffic making illegal left turns and who throw cigarettes out the window and who blast their stereos, and for construction trucks that spew sand onto the windshields behind them?:chipper:

morgana
08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Oooh, can we also do it for people who block traffic making illegal left turns and who throw cigarettes out the window and who blast their stereos, and for construction trucks that spew sand onto the windshields behind them?:chipper:

No, for those guys you use the bazooka. :angel:

~M~

RecoveringKinkoid
08-03-2006, 03:46 PM
What you didn't see was him coming back out two minutes later, assisting his elderly and infirm grandmother by carrying her shopping bags for her.

I'm all "yay go" on punishing the freaking nitwits, but Erin's right, only do it if there's no placard. Sometimes the car is legit, the reason is legit, but the one person you see moving doesn't "appear" to need it.

You know, you are absolutely right. And of course, I never thought of that. But I should have.

However, I think it's safe to say this was not the case...he was in front of a dollar movie and a sleazy nightclub in a crummy section of town. But you are right, it COULD have been. So next time, I will remember this conversation.

protege
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Incidentally, why is that people have an overwhelming urge to park as close to the store as possible? What, the extra minute walking is going to cost them a ton of time?

For some people, getting around is difficult. My grandmother is nearly 90, and sometimes doesn't walk very well. She's afraid that she'll fall in the parking lots, and usually tries to park as close as possible. She also doesn't want one of those placards, simply because she doesn't consider herself handicapped, and doesn't want to take one from someone who needs it.

I should mention that after her accident in '94, she had to undergo *massive* amounts of physical therapy to walk again. From her appearance, you'd never know that she had 2 broken shoulders, massive damage to her legs (including a half-dollar-sized hole where the brake pedal shaft had poke her after it sheared off), and large amounts of cuts from flying glass (safety glass, it ain't!)

(For those who don't know, some dumbass in a gravel truck rear-ended her car...pushing it into the path of a logging truck coming the other way :eek: How she survived that, we'll never know.)

Salathram
08-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I have to jump in on this. By the way, nice to be back. Anyway, as far as someone saying "Use the bazooka" on people that throw their cigarette butts out the window, sorry, my bad. You see, cars nowadays don't have these little things in them called "ashtrays." If they actually did, I'd use it. Seeing as my car doesn't have an ashtray, and I am an addict, I flick it out the window. I know I'm a dirty, evil smoker, but don't lump me in with the lazy assclowns that don't put away their carts or park in handicapped spots. I've taken 5 carts at once back to the cart return because the wind was kicking and beginning to push them into cars. Sorry to get defensive, but just because I smoke doesn't mean that I'm lazy and/or the Devil.

RecoveringKinkoid
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Just an FYI here...butts are litter. Don't believe me? Look in any gutter next to a stop light. Litter sucks. Why not get a can or something to put in your car so you don't have to litter?

Two little fables here:

1. When I was working at public television, my boss and I had to put out a fire in front of our building that was in the gutter, about 20 feet long, and headed down the back road our building was located on. The cause was a guy flicking a lit butt out the window, which landed in the carpet of fallen catkins (it was Spring) from the trees. The entire back lot of cars were in peril because of this one buffoon.

2. I've seen pictures of what happened to someone's car at Pennsic (the SCA biggest event of the year. Picture what would happen if you cross Burning Man with a Ren Faire.) when someone flicked a butt out their window on the interstate and it ended up blowing into their back seat. To say it ruined their vacation is an understatement.

So please. Don't do this. It's dangerous, it's littering, and it sucks.

Erin
08-03-2006, 05:45 PM

There have been times that I was parked in the handicapped spot, put my mom in a wheelchair and taken her into the store. Later, when we were leaving. We get to the door. Notice that it's raining. So I'll leave my mom (and my dad usually) at the door while I run thru the rain to get to my car and bring it up to the curb. More than once I've had people bitch at me because to them it appeared that I was a capable person who had parked illegally in the handicapped. If my parents are in sight of the person complaining to me, I'll just point at them and tell the person I'm picking my mom up at the curb so she doesnt have to get all wet.

Sometimes I just ignore the complainer...depends on just how bitchy I'm feeling that day. They'll probably watch me drive over to the curb anyways. People like that like to stare.

Banrion
08-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I have to jump in on this. By the way, nice to be back. Anyway, as far as someone saying "Use the bazooka" on people that throw their cigarette butts out the window, sorry, my bad. You see, cars nowadays don't have these little things in them called "ashtrays."

Sorry, but as a fellow smoker, there are solutions. I have one of these in my car.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMOEGE/102-2070792-9642539?v=glance&n=15684181

They are great, you just plop the butt down the hole, and it extinguishes itself. $4.00 on Amazon, but I just picked up a couple at Wal-mart for $2.50.

ladodger34
08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
For some people, getting around is difficult. My grandmother is nearly 90, and sometimes doesn't walk very well. She's afraid that she'll fall in the parking lots, and usually tries to park as close as possible. She also doesn't want one of those placards, simply because she doesn't consider herself handicapped, and doesn't want to take one from someone who needs it.

I completely understand that. Heck, there were times when my back has given out on me that I probably tried to park close if I had to go to the store.

I wasn't talking about those folks. I was talking about folks who have no pains, handicaps, etc. I was just wondering why able-bodied people have this undeniable urge to park as close as possible. Most of the time, I park where I can find a space and I'm in the store while those dolts are still looking for parking.

XCashier
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Anyway, as far as someone saying "Use the bazooka" on people that throw their cigarette butts out the window, sorry, my bad. You see, cars nowadays don't have these little things in them called "ashtrays." If they actually did, I'd use it.
:confused: Don't they sell automobile ashtrays at auto-parts stores? I'm sure I've seen some there.

Here's another thread about cig butt litter: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=592

air914
08-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Speaking of rude people at coffee shops, -back when I used to work at one, we had this large family come in adn sit at the ONLY handicapped table in the whole place - RIGHT next to the door and RIGHT next to a trash can. You have to pass the trash can to get out the door....... and they left the biggest mess I had ever seen there - they didn't attempt to pick up any little thing. Coffee Shops are not usually restaurants and ours at least didn't have bussers or anything - I understand sometimes if you don't know where to put your plate, but when the trash can is RIGHT next to you and you can't throw out your own freakin trash it drove me nuts. It was just especially rude b/c they did it at a handicapped table (it had a sticker on it). Not that I ever saw any handicapped people come in, but still - clean up after yourselves!!!

chainedbarista
08-04-2006, 12:11 AM
i agree; if you had to clean up after smokers enough, like i do, the 'little things' they do become 'hugely annoying things' quickly. i've lost count of how many smokers, after complaining loudly over us not having an ashtray (because people steal these ultra cool $.99 ashtrays ALL the damn time), we rig up something else to work for them, then they DON'T BOTHER USING IT OR THE ASHTRAY when we do.

i have little, ok, check that, NO sympathy for smokers, period. i've lived with them growing up and have cleaned up after them as an adult far too many times to care about their 'inconvienences' to care. you're creating a potential health hazard for me and don't care, so i don't care about your 'inconvienence,' either.

kerrisan
08-04-2006, 12:32 AM
I've always said that if I weren't going to be a teacher, I would want to be a cop. I would looooooooooooooooove to dish out the justice to this lady. I also have a touchy spot for thoughtlessness like this because my boyfriend has CP. That woman deserved coffee poured on her car or something. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Salathram
08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
This may be a long response, so I apologize in advance. I just have to get a few things off my chest that have been festering for a while. As far as smokers go, I've cleaned up after smokers as well. Back in college, our school got rid of all the ashtrays around the campus. Smoking was still allowed, but they got rid of all the ashtrays. My fiancee and I always put our butts in our pockets or back in the pack, but several of our other smoking buddies, even when told repeatedly to put their butts out and throw them away, just chucked em'. I can't count how many times I've spent close to half an hour or more picking up butts just so that we could still smoke. Now, me saying that I picked up my butts but still chuck them out the window when I drive may sound hypocritical. Maybe it does; it's just a habit that I picked up and haven't been able to drop. I'm going to quit when my fiancee and I decide that we're going to have children, and I'm not going to pick the habit up again. Nevertheless, I will always fight for a smoker's right to smoke, no matter what. The government has raised taxes on cigarettes left and right, outright banned it in almost every building, and resent smokers on an almost fanatical basis. Yet, still, taxes aren't as high on alcohol, you can drink at practically every restaurant, and people have more sympathy for alcoholics. Double standard, much? Before I continue, and finish, I just want to add that I do have a cousin, a Vietnam vet, that was an alcoholic. So don't accuse me of not having sympathy for alcoholics, or addicts period, because I do. If I smoke a carton of cigarettes and get behind the wheel of a car, I'm not going to be too impaired to drive. If I drink a case of beer, on the other hand, bad things might happen. I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I'm stepping off my soap-box at this point. I am going to get one of those butt-things for my car to try and stop my littering. Hell, at least I'm not the lady I saw yesterday outside work that dumped her entire, full, car ashtray right on the parking lot pavement. I'M not even that bad. Again, sorry about the length...

RecoveringKinkoid
08-10-2006, 06:13 PM
All due respect, but what is the difference between throwing thirty butts out all over town, and dumping the same number out at a stop light all at once?

It's still litter.

I am glad you plan to stop littering, and I wish you best of luck. Habits are hard to break.

Here's my two cents on the smoking thing. I do believe you have every right to smoke. However, your right to smoke ends at my right not to.

I like to drink. My right to drink ends at someone else's right to not get wiped out by me as I drive home. This is why I do not drink and drive, under any circumstances.

People resent smoking because it is very difficult for smokers and non smokers to coincide. My tequila will stay out of your glass. But your smoke does not stay out of my air, or my lungs. That's not really fair. We feel out right to NOT smoke is infringed upon by your smoking. Hence the resentment.

Anyway, good luck on the stopping smoking, too. I daresay that will be much tougher than the littering thing, and I wish you the best. It wont' be easy, but it sure will be worth. it.

Mixed Bag
08-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Oh, THAT kind of bazooka...at first I thought you meant pelt them with wads of gum. :baby:

JustADude
08-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I was going to say something witty here, but RK beat me to the punch. As for the butts... one at a time all over town is a small, barely-conscious habit, while dumping them all out on the street at once is a deliberate, methodical act. It's all in the intent.

rdp78
08-12-2006, 02:42 AM
Well, I don't really pay much attention to people who use the handicapped spaces and maybe I should start doing that. Of course, I don't have the authority to do anything about anyway and I don't want to jump to conclusions either. I think it's great to hear citzens taking a stand and putting tickets on cars where they shouldn't be parked.

Anyway I'm kind of shock an elderly person would make such a nasty comment and that I wonder how she acts around people her own age who are in wheelchairs. I mean the causes of people being in wheelchairs or using walking aids is aging, accidents and disease which can happen to anyone at anytime. As we know, karma has a funny a way biting people in the ass and I hope one day she will have to use a wheelchair for what ever reason. You knows she might have someone park to close to her car and she can't get in there.:lol:

Okay, people who throw out their cigeratte butts out their car window and all, uh, that is littering not mention dangerous in a way. Don't get me started on smoking in general and why it's such a nasty habit. I know we all have bad habits but I prefer one that leave a good taste in my mouth (sugar) and that isn't banned in most buildings.

Also there is reason why people have more sympathies for alcholics then smokers is that alcholics is that their drinking were causing problems in their lives and most of the time it was way out of control while smokers are seen as a naunance to some people (especially if they have allergies). Now if some one is an alcholic they usually are going to AA meetings and avoid drinking but yes there are some that deny they have a problem with drinking or don't have supportive people around them. Also not every person who drinks is an alcholic (I like to occasionally have a glass of red wine) and isn't taking over their lives.

RecoveringKinkoid
08-12-2006, 05:18 AM
It's all in the intent.

While most of the time I would agree that intent is a pretty important detail, I have to disagree with you here. Littering is littering. If you toss a butt out a car window, you have intent to litter. Sorry, but I don't see a lot of gray area here.

What if we were talking about soda cans? Is it somehow not so bad to throw a soda can out a window, but tossing out an entire bag of trash is bad? Of course not.

Say you toss out a butt at the red light. And so does the next guy. And the next. 50 butts end up in the gutter. Looks like someone emptied an ashcan out there. But they didn't. Just 50 people "not littering."

When 300 people "don't litter" on a beach, the beach becomes a disgusting place to walk and play. When 300 of them "don't litter" on a hiking trail in the mountains, it looks like a trash dump.

Come on. Let's not split hairs, here. This is the sort of attitude that earns smokers the stink eye. You can hardly make a good argument for tolerance from non smokers while you are trying to justify littering, a habit most people detest more than even smoking.

Seriously, I'm not trying to bust your hump over this. But this is something that is important to me. Littering is an awful, loathsome habit that shows utter disrespect for everyone you share the planet with, not to mention the planet itself. I know you are better than that, and you do too.

Special Patrol Group
08-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Actually it probably would be better if you were throwing soda cans out your car window. Apart from the obvious risk of fire cigarette butts contain hazardous chemicals such as cadmium, arsenic and lead that are partially filtered out during smoking. But when the butt is discarded, these chemicals leach into the environment contaminating our waterways and land.

When I used to work at a supermarket sometimes the managers would make us go out the front and pick up all the butts customers had dropped around the front doors (even though we had two of those special cigarette bins). It was the worst job ever because they wouldn't give us gloves and you couldn't just sweep them up as they were damp from salvia (ewwwwww) and people had squished them into the ground with their shoes. Even worse yet some total bastards would drop them right in front of you as you were on your hands and knees picking them up!

JustADude
08-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Sorry, RK, I'm not good at leaving rehtorical questions unanswered. I don't really think it's justified either, but you did ask what the difference between the two types of littering was.

RecoveringKinkoid
08-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Fair enough.:)

Pagan
08-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Salathram, my problem with your flicking a lit butt out the window really doesn't have anything to do with littering. My issue is the fact that I live in a state that has fire weather all spring and most of the summer. There have been years that literally half the state has been on fire and some of these fires were started by people flicking lit butts out the window.

But, I would also like to say something in Salathram's defense. Please do not make moral judgements and blanket assumptions about people just because they happen to smoke. My dad used to smoke (pipe and cigars, don't know why he stopped), he however never left a mess while doing so. Yes, he smoked in the house while I was growing up and yes, I have allergies. But, allergies tend to be inherited and I inherited them from both sides.

And don't get me started on drunk drivers. Gordon House was not smoking when took out a family on Christmas Eve 1992 (Google "drunk driving Gordon House, New Mexico to see articles about him). He was drunk. He killed three little girls, their mother, and permanently disabled their father, driving the wrong way on I-40 at up to 90 mph, never hit the brakes. After two mistrials and a change of venue, he got only 22 yrs for killing 4 people. I'm sorry, but you will never see a story like this caused by a driver smoking a cigarette! Sorry to rant, but we have a huge problem with drunk driving in New Mexico.

Salathram
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Thank you, Pagan. That was the point I was trying to make when I posted my first reply. Yes, there are a lot of smokers that are self-righteous douchebags. There are even some that are violent and aggressive. Not me. I understand that there are a lot of people that hate smoking with a passion and some with legit physical problems with smoke, so I try to keep my smoke away from people as much as I can. I will certainly not light up in a large group of people; I will go as far as I can to light up, smoke my cig, and then return to the group. I do, though, understand Pagan's original point and agree. It can be a potential fire hazard, given the right circumstances, if a lit cigarette lands somewhere incendiary. I finally have a perspective that I can look at and not be offended by. I don't mind being criticized; Hell, I work in the entertainment industry where criticism is unavoidable, but I don't like being called disrespectful, gross, and inconsiderate. I will take all the comments and assimilate them into my collective, just don't judge me on one habit that I have.