PDA

View Full Version : Rude/Uneducated Kid

CanadaGirl
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM
This happened actually about 3 hours ago, while I was at the checkout at a Zellers.

Stupid Kid: SK
Me: Duh ;)
Cashier: C

So, I'm just standing there swipping my card on the debit machine when the kid that was
ahead of me earlier at the till is now behind me and says something to the cashier guy:

SK: Bag.
C: What?
SK: Bag.
C: Oh, here [hands kid a bag]
Me: [to rude kid] You know... you might get helped faster if you used please and complete sentences when asking for something. Next time say please, mkay?
SK: [is opening bag to put his stupid coke in it, walks off, never saying a word to me]
C: Yeah.. I didn't know what he said at first.
Me: Damn kids ;)
C: Have a good day.
Me: You, too.

[end scene!]

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Mixed Bag
08-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Yeah really, why did he need a bag for a coke anyway?

Sometimes in addition to disdaining needless packaging I can't resist taking a shot at waste. Now, I'm very unethnic looking, so I easily forget people might suddenly assume I'm from elsewhere when I exude mock disgust about American waste, :eek: so I try to add that I'm a native.

stickycoins
08-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Ooooh, that gets on my nerves! They ask for a bag for one item and then throw it(the bag) down in the parking lot right when they walk out the door. Or they ask for double-bag for something that weighs less than a pound. They'll say "I'm walking". Well, unless you plan on twirling the bag around your head a few dozen times on your two block walk, the bag isn't going to break. They always seem to do this when there is a line, too.

Gas Station Girl
08-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Or when they want bags for things that are too heavy or that won't even fit in bags. I work in a gas station. We don't have 12 different sizes of bags to offer customers. There's usually just one size of bag, and our bags are pretty flimsy too. But most customers are just buying one or two items anyways, so it doesn't really matter.
The worst is when customers want a bag for a jug of milk. I never really understood that. It's hard to find a bag that is strong enough to hold a jug of milk, and besides, the jug itself has a handle on it so it's not that hard to carry. I once had this lady bitch at me because I didn't offer her a bag for her jug of milk. Apparently, I was supposed to have known that she was walking...

Mixed Bag
08-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Or environmentally-unfriendly styrofoam like it's a take-out order that has to be kept warm, instead of leftovers. And pizza places--an employee once admitted that foil, like I like, keeps it fresher and takes up less room in a fridge that needs to be cleaned out, but people want wasteful big boxes to keep it looking nice and so air can get in :runaway:

I've even been told by restaurants they have NO foil OR plastic for me, not even old food wrappers :wtf:

Antisocial_Worker
08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I ran into a kid like this at the grocery store the other night. He was at the candy machine near the door as I was leaving, and apparently he didn't have enough money for whatever it was he wanted because he planted himelf square in my path and said, "You got fifty cents?"

I did, and thought what the hell, might as well, so I gave it to him, but said as I handed it to him, "Here, but it's really not a good idea to ask perfect strangers for money."

I wouldn't have dared trying that when I was little.

RecoveringKinkoid
08-06-2006, 04:32 AM
I did, and thought what the hell, might as well, so I gave it to him, but said as I handed it to him, "Here, but it's really not a good idea to ask perfect strangers for money."

Why not? You gave it to him, right?

He gets what he wants when he does that, so apparently, it IS a good idea. :(

XCashier
08-06-2006, 05:09 AM
He was at the candy machine near the door as I was leaving, and apparently he didn't have enough money for whatever it was he wanted because he planted himelf square in my path and said, "You got fifty cents?"
"Why yes, I do, thanks for asking." :walks away without giving over any money:

Then if the brat protests, you say, "You just asked me if I had the money. You didn't ask me if you could have it, and you certainly didn't say 'please'!"

Sometimes I can be incredibly evil. :devil:

Becks
08-06-2006, 03:52 PM
The worst is when customers want a bag for a jug of milk. I never really understood that. It's hard to find a bag that is strong enough to hold a jug of milk, and besides, the jug itself has a handle on it so it's not that hard to carry.

At the grocery store I work at, the baggers AUTOMATICALLY put the milk in a bag. The first time I saw/experienced that (and almost every time since) I was like :eek: :confused: . Now I try to pay attention and say, "Please don't put the milk in a bag!" Baggers, in turn, give me the :confused: :confused: look.

I don't understand, I really don't.

Mr. Rude
08-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I would have walked right over the kid ;)

alphaboi
08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
At the grocery store I work at, the baggers AUTOMATICALLY put the milk in a bag. The first time I saw/experienced that (and almost every time since) I was like :eek: :confused: . Now I try to pay attention and say, "Please don't put the milk in a bag!" Baggers, in turn, give me the :confused: :confused: look...

I never put anything with a handle in a bag unless they ask for it. I am guilty of double bagging alot, but that's because our bags are complete crap and you need at least 2 or 3 if you're carrying them more than a few meters.

Imogene
08-06-2006, 07:54 PM

Then if the brat protests, you say, "You just asked me if I had the money. You didn't ask me if you could have it, and you certainly didn't say 'please'!"

Sounds like what my Dad used to do when he worked at Citimortgage as an underwriter.
Any time someone asked him for help, he'd ask if they had a quarter.
After they started digging in their pockets: "I don't want one, I want to know if you have one."
On one of his anniversaries at the company, his coworkers did up his cubicle in Hershey's Kisses (cause he always had them available for others to snack on) and piles of quarters. He ended up something like $15 richer from that day alone.

RecoveringKinkoid
08-06-2006, 09:55 PM
A friend of mine actually encountered a kid like this on a subway in California. Kid was going through the car holding out his hand at people in the car. Amazingly, people were giving him money. He got to my friend and my friend just said "Oh, HELL, no."

Rest of the trip, the stupid kid acted like my friend had hurt his feelings. I guess he'd never gotten THAT response before.

rdp78
08-07-2006, 01:10 AM
This thread reminds me of something that happen a couple months ago and well, the AM who was on duty that night hasn't work there for a month or two (medical leave).

Anyway a couple preteen boys came in the store and one of asked if a gold watch he showed me was real gold (yes, that is what he asked). I was thinking :lol: becuase you would think a watch that sells for 10 bucks would be real gold and not mention were a discount store (well, it's really a dollar store but not everything is a dollar) so obivously we don't sell high end stuff. I told him it wasn't real gold and that it just gold filled. He didn't buy becuase I don't think he had the money and so they left so I didn't think much about it.

Well, anyway they came back and well, cause some trouble for us. In turns out they were asking people for money (I think it was for that watch I'm not quite sure) that the AM saw them do that and they took also took a package of cookie candy bars. They took some out for them to snack on and the AM caught them in the act. I couldn't remember she asked if they were going to pay they didn't have any money anyway (the package was a dollar) and told them that they are not welcome back :wave: . She also said if they did come that they have to have parent with them and if pay for those snacks they had. Anyway she told me to look out for them if they come back even without parent and we also found an empy watch box but I don't think they confess to stealing that. Well, I didn't tell her what happen with me when they were in there before even through she could have used the laugh.

Anyway it seems like we found a few more empty watch boxes and so we had to put the watch display in front of the store near register area. I kind find it odd people would steal a 10 dollar watch I mean it's kind of silly even though their not bad looking it just there is good chance they won't last a long as a more expesinve watch and might not even work.

Mixed Bag
08-07-2006, 01:18 AM
At the grocery store I work at, the baggers AUTOMATICALLY put the milk in a bag. The first time I saw/experienced that (and almost every time since) I was like :eek: :confused: . Now I try to pay attention and say, "Please don't put the milk in a bag!" Baggers, in turn, give me the :confused: :confused: look.

I thought all stores autobagged and looked at you like you were some wacko greenie if you asked otherwise. If they think milk should be bagged because it might leak, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of their products.

Discourtesy Clerk
08-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Well, I don't know about other stores, but mine tends to ask customers if they need a bag for their milk/juice jugs. A manager told me we weren't actually supposed to ask...but everyone does. The reason is that even if we don't put it in a bag by default, a lot of people ask to have one, and of course Customers Are God. ( :rolleyes: ) We're supposed to save bags, but it doesn't necessarily work that way.

And yeah, bagging it because it might leak isn't exactly confident, but it's practical. All the containers for all our store-brand crap really really suck. As do our bags. Like wet paper. You do not even want to know how many times a day I have to run across the store to replace a leaky milk carton. Earlier today, there were so many leaky cartons in the utility drain area that the stench knocked me back when I went to add another one. :puke:

Hempress
08-07-2006, 04:21 AM
The worst is when customers want a bag for a jug of milk. I never really understood that. It's hard to find a bag that is strong enough to hold a jug of milk, and besides, the jug itself has a handle on it so it's not that hard to carry. I once had this lady bitch at me because I didn't offer her a bag for her jug of milk. Apparently, I was supposed to have known that she was walking...

For those of you wondering why someone would ask for a milk gallon in a bag, this is why I ask for one. I have a lot of stairs I have to climb to get to my apartment. Usually I have to carry not only whatever groceries I bought, but also my purse, my son, and his diaper bag. Putting the milk in a bag makes it so much easier for me to carry everything at one time.

Mixed Bag
08-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Whatever works; I'm just surprised that here in CA, of all places, the stores I visit would be so forthcoming with baggery when I hear of all these others that aren't.

Speaking of trips to the apartment, I find myself bagging myself or asking that all cold items go together in case I only want to bring those in right away.

I can live with leaky milk; what I disliked was when I bought the wrong kind because the colour scheme for nonfat v. lowfat changed (I think it was a new brand), and I only drink nonfat because everything else tastes like lard to me. *duck*

I imagine lots of customers pick the wrong brand when they want the buy-2-and-save deal, or buy an odd number of the eligible brand. Here's a tip: If the special brand in your store is Good Day (as it is where I shop), tell them they can remember it by knowing the discount requires a "Good Day mate." http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/rimshotter/rimshot.gif

LostMyMind
08-07-2006, 06:10 PM
:lol: Mixed Bag that's funny. I doubt many folks know what lard taste like. (Shortening is not lard) But I'm with you, I don't care for the "taste" of grease. Cook it in the grease and then get the grease off the food.

ds_36
08-07-2006, 07:19 PM
A friend of mine actually encountered a kid like this on a subway in California. Kid was going through the car holding out his hand at people in the car. Amazingly, people were giving him money. He got to my friend and my friend just said "Oh, HELL, no."

Rest of the trip, the stupid kid acted like my friend had hurt his feelings. I guess he'd never gotten THAT response before.

Try the subway in nyc, only the tourists are stupid enough to give those people money. Of course most of them also have these sob stories about how unlucky they are and blah blah blah...

blackberry_belle
08-09-2006, 05:25 AM

I automatically but milk in the bag these days because before when I asked if they wanted a bag for their milk, most customers gave me the "Well, DUH" expression and said tersely, "Yes, if you don't mind." I got tired of it. At least 85% of people want a bag for their milk. Ugh, such waste.

Lace Neil Singer
08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, at the place I work milk regularly leaks and our bags are crap.

Anakah
11-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Ack... I'm one of those people who ask for their milk in a bag... And maybe a double if the bag is weak... But the only reason is because I live on the second floor and its easier to carry up my groceries. I really hate making a second trip down the flights of stairs. So its bascially cuz I'm lazy. :)

Though when I worked at Mikasa I had some snobby woman who wanted all of her ten items in separate little bags. THAT was annoying.

I would've told that little brat to get money from his damn parents. Its rude as hell to just ask some stranger if they have money! He could've gotten this:
"NO, but I have some candy in my car.... Wanna see?"

Where the hell was the parent??? That kid could've gotten snatched up so easily. GRR.

DGoddessChardonnay
11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
I ran into a kid like this at the grocery store the other night. He was at the candy machine near the door as I was leaving, and apparently he didn't have enough money for whatever it was he wanted because he planted himelf square in my path and said, "You got fifty cents?"

I wouldn't have dared trying that when I was little.

I was raised not to talk to strangers, let alone ask one for money. My grandmother was strange that way:rolleyes:

And why is it that it's usually around grocery or convenience stores where they like to hang out? I can't make a quick smoke stop without some panhandler asking "Yo? Got a dollar? Got fifty cent?"

I used to talk back to them. "I should be asking YOU that question. You've probably got more money on you than I have and I WORK for a living.":devil:

Nowadays I just walk by them like they aren't there.

RecoveringKinkoid
11-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Around here, every one of them starts out with "Excuse me! May I talk to you a moment?" To which I usually say, none too nicely, "No."

They frequently adopt this startled, hurt look and say "Now, why you gotta be like that?"

"Because I'm a nasty bitch. I'm not giving you any money, so f:censored:k off and stop hassling me."

Sometimes I feel charitable, so I say "I'm not giving you any money. But please, go ahead."

And they give me thier song and dance, then ask for money. THEN I say "F:censored:k off and stop hassling me."

I was with a male friend out by the fountain in Five Points (dining/club venue in town) when one came up and actually said "So, which of you wears the pants?"

Of course I said "Me. I wear the pants."

Panhandler: (startled) Uh...okay. Can I talk to..."

Me: "No. F:censored:k off and stop hassling us."

Panhandler: :eek:

Me: "Take a hike before you get pepper sprayed."

Panhandler: (adopting Standard Panhandler Hurt Look #46) shuffles off.

Male Friend: You realize of course that now YOU are the asshole, right?

Me: Oh, of course. I'm sure if I were a better person, that would bother me.

I really don't have a lot of use for a trifling, lazy man who won't work.

Kiwi
11-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Ugh I hate carrying a cold milk jug any distance, I always have my milk bagged.

When I have to catch the bus (once in a blue moon) the kids that hang around ask me if they can buy a ciggeratte off me

I dont even freaking smoke...and if I did, im not selling a minor one

AND if I was, it wouldnt be for 50 freaking cents...black market prices $2 a pop :p

Sofar
11-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Save your money for charities. If you're really feeling so low on karma that you're considering giving money to a tramp then give to the local hospital, or something. I only give money to people on the street if they're holding an accordian, or possibly a saw and a violin-bow.

jnd4rusty
11-17-2006, 07:39 AM
That reminds me of what happened the other night at work. I was out having a well deserved break and a smoke. There was two young gentleman STANDING at the drive thru speaker (we still can't figure out how they tripped the sensor) anyways they put in their order and then proceeded to walk up to the car that was in front of them. Just for a quick bit of info..we normally would have frowned upon such behavior but our dining room is closed for remodeling and we only have the drive open. (that is a whole new thread in itself) So anyways these young guys glance over to me and one of them comes up to me and asks for a cigarette. I was quite cranky and my response was "NO, get a job and support your own habit!!" He in turn says "well I have applied here but you won't hire me!" LOL Tough luck then!! Smokes are way to expensive to dole out to just anyone (and they will get even more expensive because South Dakotans just voted on a $1.00 per pack cigarette tax!!) Okay I am hijacking the thread..SORRY:)

Seanette
11-17-2006, 11:31 AM
And why is it that it's usually around grocery or convenience stores where they like to hang out? I can't make a quick smoke stop without some panhandler asking "Yo? Got a dollar? Got fifty cent?"

I used to talk back to them. "I should be asking YOU that question. You've probably got more money on you than I have and I WORK for a living.":devil:

Nowadays I just walk by them like they aren't there.
I generally go the "you're not even there" route, since I'm not really the confrontational type with strangers. I do get nervous about the panhandlers here, since they seem to be a lot more pushy than in other places I've been. They'll get a good deal closer, use a more demanding tone of voice, etc., which makes a shortish woman with lousy vision and bad hips quite nervous (90+% are male and bigger than I am). To make matters worse, a significant percentage seem to be rather psychologically shaky.

That's one thing I like about the convenience store a few blocks away: they actively chase off panhandlers on their property (and one clerk who usually works evenings is a very tall, substantial young man. Very nice guy with customers, zero tolerance for panhandlers hassling his customers). I've commented to several employees on how much I appreciate that, since I do feel a lot safer going over there if I can count on not getting accosted by apparently unstable men demanding handouts.

Sofar
11-17-2006, 07:40 PM
He in turn says "well I have applied here but you won't hire me!"

That's because you're unemployable. Work on that. Boss-man once actually offered a job to the panhandler whom hung out outside our door, (at least three times a day someone would come in and buy some food for him.) Boss said he could shower in the old bathroom in the basement, (the only one in the building that has a bathtub,) and sleep in the attic until he got back on his feet. Well, turns out that one, he wasn't homeless, he was living with his sister down the road, and two, he makes forty dollars a day at this.

chainedbarista
11-17-2006, 08:58 PM
exactly why i don't 'donate' to panhandlers; the one we can't seem to get rid of lives in a care home down the street, so he's just a problem, not in need.

as for that kid, i'd tell him to bugger off; if the little bastard wants money, do some chores or get it from mom or dad. the worst is that he didn't even really ask, more of a 'you got it, give it over' attitude-no manners, no thanks, nothing. so, for being an ill mannered twit, i'll raise you that attitude with a not so polite 'get lost/bent.'

Antisocial_Worker
11-17-2006, 11:56 PM
I think the reason I gave that kid the money was partly because it caught me off guard to be asked that, and partly because it was only $.50. Fifty cents is meh-worthy if any amount ever was.

However, I will say that panhandling teenagers are a big problem -- or they were for a long time until the city cracked down -- in downtown Asheville. You could hardly go a block without someone begging for spare change. One time I did something I regret. When asked for change, I flipped a quarter over my shoulder at the offending teenager and it hit him in the head. I kept walking, but I realize how dumb a thing it was to do. For one, it was extremely rude, and for another if he'd been in a fighting mood he could have walloped me for that. Nowadays I just ignore panhandlers.

chainedbarista
11-18-2006, 12:56 AM
that happened to me when i was walking into work; some teenaged twit asked me for some bus money...seriously, wtf? you're wearing a jersey that costs more than everything i'm currently wearing (top to bottom, including my boots) and you have the nerve to ask ME for money? get bent, pound sand AND drop dead, you worthless turd.

cruel, yes; i'm tired of seeing these spoiled brats who get things that are way overpriced, clothes, bikes, cells, etc., then want to beg change off of someone who earns a pittance? i don't think so, kid; get a damn job!

rvdammit
11-19-2006, 03:01 AM

OR

Scrounger "Any spare change?"
Me "Nope."

Change goes in the coin hoard, and mystically transforms into paper money at alter date.

powerboy
11-24-2006, 10:30 AM
When they ask me, I usually tell them, yes, but I need it. And once, I had to ask a stranger for 25 cents, just so I can get a little stub saying that I can park in that parking lot.

Also, what I hate, is being asked if I have something, everytime, I get out of someplace. Once, my dad and I went to the mall for something, and we got asked. Ofcourse we didn't have no money on us, just our ATM cards, we got what we needed, went outside, and saw the panhanddler get into a brand new car. That pissed us both off.

Dreamstalker
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Try the subway in nyc, only the tourists are stupid enough to give those people money. Of course most of them also have these sob stories about how unlucky they are and blah blah blah...
I got accosted by a bum in the Newark train station right as I get off the elevator from the platform. I give him the death stare, he tries to block my way and the cleaning guy runs over and starts yelling at him while I make my escape :lol: I could see the guy had a fair wad of bills in his hand, probably 'donations' from tourists who had never been to the big city before.

Once when I was much younger, I did need to ask a fellow bus passenger for the fare to get home :o It was late, I had no change on me at all and not even any singles (I had larger bills; at the time it didn't occur to me to buy something small and get change).

I'll gladly change bills for tourists on the T if I have the change on me which I usually do.
Save your money for charities. If you're really feeling so low on karma that you're considering giving money to a tramp then give to the local hospital, or something. I only give money to people on the street if they're holding an accordian, or possibly a saw and a violin-bow.
I give to a Spare Change (homeless-produced newspaper) vendor who we've known forever; we know he genuinely needs any extra money he can get and will put it to good use. Also to two street performers when I see them; one guy who has a paint-bucket drum set and another kid who has a trio of trained white rats (those two aren't homeless, but they add some interest to a boring commute).

RecoveringKinkoid
12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
"I got accosted by a bum in the Newark train station right as I get off the elevator from the platform. I give him the death stare, he tries to block my way "

That wasn't a panhandler. That was a mugger.

Now, a homeless run paper sounds pretty interesting! I'd buy that! Heck, I might donate to help sponsor something like that. :)

Rapscallion
12-01-2006, 07:20 PM
It's called the Big Issue over here. It's not run by homeless, but as far as I understand the system, the workers in the office donate their time, as do guest article writers etc. The selling is done by homeless or people in destitute conditions. They get to keep a percentage to sustain and better themselves, so they can train to get out of the crap.

There's probably more accurate information around - I'm working from memory and guesswork.

Rapscallion

Tanasi
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm about 100 miles from HH across the mountains and we also have aggressive beggers. I've had to use the ATM downtown and been confronted right outside the ATM lobby. I told them to buzz off. I've also been eating at some outdoors tables in the same area and bums would come up asking for donations. Luckly the eatery manager ran them off. The city council is considering a begging ordinance. I say run them out of town and the problem will be solved. If they were truly hungry and was truly going to buy something to eat I wouldn't mind so much but be damned if I'm going to support their drinking/drugging habits.

As to HH's kid I would have said Yes and then stepped around him and went on my way. If you're gonna beg you can at least be polite.

SuperDan
12-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Around Chicago you can find homeless selling their newspaper, called Street Wise. The spelling and grammar seem to lend credibility to it being a completely homeless produced paper.

There was an allegedly homeless person in the bar I reguarly hang out in one night. He drank soda and left his two coats and backpack on a table near the bar. He left and came back looking for somebody. After he stepped out of the bar the second time, the bartender asked me to make sure he actually exited the building (there is much more to that building than the bar, not much of it is locked off relative to the main lobby, and there have been people trying to find a place to sleep there before). I saw that he was headed down the stairs to the exit door, the bartender stepped out into the lobby herself and confirmed this, then we both went to the bar window and watched him drive off in his shiny new Mercedes.

Dreamstalker
12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
This guy seemed like an incredibly pushy bum. I've run into packs of them before, usually congregating in areas where they know lots of tourists will be.

The Boston paper is called Spare Change (http://homelessempowerment.org/our_programs/index.html). Very professionally done, interesting articles.

XCashier
12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
This guy seemed like an incredibly pushy bum. I've run into packs of them before, usually congregating in areas where they know lots of tourists will be.
I've had problems with packs of pushy panhandlers at the post office and public library. (yay for alliteration!) Being a woman, sometimes with a child in tow, I must say it's rather unnerving to have three big guys moving towards you wanting money. :(

RecoveringKinkoid
12-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Oh, man. That has not happened to me. But I swear if I am approached while I have my child in tow, someones' going to have a Real Problem on their hands. :eek: