PDA

View Full Version : WOO-WOO Boy

kerrisan
08-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I was at the grocery store the other day, standing in Frozen Foods, and heard what sounded like a really high-pitched train horn. It got louder . . . and louder . . . and then I saw the source: a little boy riding on the front (I kid you not!) of the mom's cart and pretending to be a train. That's very cute and I will be the first to condone creativity (especially when it keeps kids out of danger/trouble), but this was just annoying. Mom was just ignoring it, but everybody around her started getting PISSED, especially when she stopped for bagged broccolli. What was funny was that a tall man with a HUGE beard quietly told the kid to stop, and in his fear he did . . . then he just went "Woooooo . . . wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Just as loud as before. I almost -almost!- went over to the kid to ask him to stop again (maybe Mom would have gotten the picture), but I was finished so I left.

You could seriously hear this kid from the entire food section of the store. Awful.

This goes in line with "Control Your Kids." Parents, don't be afraid to, oh, I don't know . . . parent!

toolbert
08-08-2006, 06:33 PM
This goes in line with "Control Your Kids." Parents, don't be afraid to, oh, I don't know . . . parent

But, that would be way too much work with the shopping that she has to do! I mean, if there was only a magic stick that could teach everyone how to parent...then stuff like wouldn't happen.

kerrisan
08-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I think alot of parents would rather ignore it than look like the bad guy. I can't remember which comedian it was, but somebody did a bit about parenting in pubilc.

Pardon me while I paraphrase.

See, parenting in public always backfires. Everybody always sees the bad stuff and ONLY the bad stuff. Like, you buy your kid a drink:

Kid: But I want a laaaaaaaaarge!
Parent: No, Junior, if you finish the small, we can get you another small.
Kid: Noooooooooo, I want a laaaaaaaaarge!
Parent: Honey, please don't make Daddy angry. Finish the small and if you want another one you can get another one.
Kid: Laaaaaaaaaaarge!

---And then this is the part other people notice:---

Parent: *grabs child by the arms* I SAID YOU'RE NOT GETTIN' A LARGE!!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE A FREAKIN' LARGE!!! NOW DRINK THE SMALL!!!!

I think parents are just afraid of being looked at like the bad guy.

I :love:looooooove:love: the parents who pull the "if you're such a big boy/girl then I'll see you later" trick. The child quickly learns that they are only a CHILD and they need Mommy/Daddy. As long as the parent never takes his/her eyes off the child (without the child knowing, of course ;)).

Bella_Vixen
08-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I remember seeing that bit on TV but I forgot who it was.

Lace Neil Singer
08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
My dad never used to care about being thought of as the bad guy... many was the time he shouted, "If you don't shut up right now, you'll feel the back of my hand!", right in the middle of a busy store. :lol: Ah, memories.

Banrion
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
My mom wasn't worried about parenting either. Like the time I was about 4 or 5 years old, I ran out in the street in front of a cop with his lights and sirens blazing. Thankfully the cop stopped in time so as not to kill me, but my mom was right behind me. She picked me up by one arm, and spanked me into next week. As she tells it, the cop actually got out and thanked her, he was terrified that he wouldn't be able to stop.

To this day I am still terrified of crossing the street.:lol:

Primer
08-09-2006, 10:03 PM
if there was only a magic stick that could teach everyone how to parent...

We used to call those "willow branches" or "baseball bats" :devil:

kerrisan
08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm too lazy to search myself, but have there been any lawsuits over spankings as "child abuse?"

I wouldn't be surprised . . .

Tria
08-10-2006, 12:09 AM
We used to call those "willow branches" or "baseball bats" :devil:

Hickory switch here....

Gurndigarn
08-10-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm too lazy to search myself, but have there been any lawsuits over spankings as "child abuse?"

I wouldn't be surprised . . .

Well, when my brother got my parents hauled to court, the judge heard his case, then laughed at him and showed him pictures of real abuse.

TruthHurts
08-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Some parents not only don't control their kids in public they get mad if someone else tries to. I had an incident in a supermarket where this kid was running around with a toy saxaphone blowing into it as hard and loud as possible.
Just my luck they wind up behind me in line. The kid goes right up to me, puts the saxaphone close to my ear and starts blowing it as loud as possible. I take two steps away the kid takes two steps forward and proceeds to do it again. The mom is just standing there watching not saying a word, at this point even the cashier was glaring at her.
So finally I firmly say "Cut it out". The mom gestures to her kid and says loud enough for everyone in line to hear "Come here, honey, that lady obviously does not like kids" I was speechless and just shared a look of disbelief with the cashier. I grabbed my stuff and walked off as the kid turned to the people behind them and started blowing into his saxaphone again.

ArenaBoy
08-10-2006, 06:08 AM
I was at a barbershop a few months ago waiting to get my hair cut. This woman had this little kid who tried TO GRAB MY FREAKING NOSE!!!!!! The parent did nothing about and when I politely asked the kid to stop the mom started yelling at me about it but I walked right up to the barber while she was still yelling. She looked at me shocked and the barber laughed because that was the first time he ever saw anyone do that to her. She and her kid are notorious for being SCs apparently.

Mixed Bag
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Do you look anything like your O RLY avatar? I can just see you--or at least your avatar--having that reaction to a kid pulling your nose.

That gives me an idea--I bet the parking lot you control could use an avian fierce. :angel:

Lace Neil Singer
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Some parents not only don't control their kids in public they get mad if someone else tries to. I had an incident in a supermarket where this kid was running around with a toy saxaphone blowing into it as hard and loud as possible.
Just my luck they wind up behind me in line. The kid goes right up to me, puts the saxaphone close to my ear and starts blowing it as loud as possible. I take two steps away the kid takes two steps forward and proceeds to do it again. The mom is just standing there watching not saying a word, at this point even the cashier was glaring at her.
So finally I firmly say "Cut it out". The mom gestures to her kid and says loud enough for everyone in line to hear "Come here, honey, that lady obviously does not like kids" I was speechless and just shared a look of disbelief with the cashier. I grabbed my stuff and walked off as the kid turned to the people behind them and started blowing into his saxaphone again.

You're a lot more patient to me... I once had a little girl tootling a toy recorder in a Maccy D's near to me. I went up to her and said, "Stop it." Her mum then butted in, saying, "Leave her alone, she has a right to play her recorder." I replied, "Yeah, and I have a right to take it and throw it out of the window." Complete silence; I went back to my burger and fries. :angel:

kerrisan
08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, when my brother got my parents hauled to court, the judge heard his case, then laughed at him and showed him pictures of real abuse.

Whoa . . .

I would love a story, if you don't mind. How old was he? What exactly was his accusation? How did he react to the pictures?

If it's too personal of a matter I understand, but it sounds kind of like a good SC story to me!

Anyway, I googled "Spanking in public" just for kicks and found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1336429

watch the video. Go moms!

My parents never when so far as to publicly humiliate me, but I'm sure if they did I would have deserved it. But DOG POO??? That's dangerous. Good thing those parents got what was coming to them.

BunnyJas
08-11-2006, 12:31 AM
This reminds me of an email I got that was a comercial about a man and his bratty little boy. The boy kept putting some candy inside the shopping cart. Each time he did this, the dad took it out and put it back. This goes on about four times and then the kid LOSES it. He starts screaming, throwing other groceries on the floor, and eventully lying on his back kicking and screaming. Other shoppers give them disapproving looks and the dad just has a look of shock and confusion on his face. At the end it says, "Should have used Something Condoms". :lol:

Gurndigarn
08-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Whoa . . .

I would love a story, if you don't mind. How old was he? What exactly was his accusation? How did he react to the pictures?

If it's too personal of a matter I understand, but it sounds kind of like a good SC story to me!

I was out of the country at the time, so I don't have many details. Just that my brother tried to get my parents in legal trouble, and the judge wasn't having anything of it.

I can't say he's a better person for it, but I think he's finally beginning (years after the fact) to respect our parents.

Sunsetsky
08-11-2006, 03:35 AM
At the end it says, "Should have used Something Condoms". :lol:

Heh, I've seen that commercial. It was pretty funny.

I had one incident where a boy kept turning the bag carousel while I was trying to bag stuff. He eventually stopped but when I started to turn it myself he got mad and told me that I wasn't allowed to turn it. I stared at him and started to turn it.

Another time I had a little girl turning the carousel while I was bagging. When kids do that I tend to grab it so they can't move it. When I did it, she glared up at me and said "you're mean."

Yes...yes I am.

kerrisan
08-11-2006, 04:02 AM
Ok, so this kid wasn't a customer, but his mom should have done something!

I live on the 2nd floor of my apartment complex, and my comp desk is next to the window. I was sitting at my computer (I think reading posts on this site ;)) and suddenly I hear something hit my window. I turn and see some little Hispanic* kid laughing and pointing at me; he had just thrown a rock at my window! His dad and mom were just randomly hanging out in the parking lot in their cars (this complex is on-campus housing ONLY) and niether one of them does anything, they just watch. So I take matters into my own hands. I stare blanky at this kid. No facial expression. No blinking. No movement. He looks back up, sees me staring. Looks away. Looks back up. I'm still staring. He does that weird gangsta "what, then?" movement where he holds his arm out, palms out (the kid is no older than 10 :lol:). I don't respond. I just . . . watch him. The smile leaves his face, and he becomes very aggitated.
Needless to say he stopped bothering me.

*I state that the family was Hispanic because I have a question: Is it custumary for Hispanic families to just go hang out in random places (a parking lot, of all places!)? This just seemed so random to me.

Binky
08-11-2006, 10:21 AM
YES that is the most annoying thing EVER...kids who, while being creative and it's very cute, make WAY to much noice and actully start to annoy you to the point where you actully can't concentrate on what you need to be doing ...had a kid in my local liquer store start screaming....some sort of tune...I have fortunatly got it out of my head so I don't remember it...but the kid only knew a few words of it...so kept repeating it...over, and over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER again....I actully said OUT LOUD...can someone SHUT THAT KID UP....and I wish the mother of that CHILD would use some PARENTING skill and get the CHILD to be QUIET!...didn't work...and I wasn't the only one doing it...she just ignored us and let her little "baby" run around screaming and annoying everyone

JustADude
08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I'd quote, but there are just way too many people, and that's why this is a thread. My basic point here is that the way the media has been painting things, good parents are afraid to do what it takes because they don't want to be accused of abuse. Don't get me wrong, being too harsh can do just as much damage (it just shows up later), but you've gotta do what it takes to keep your kids in the happy medium between wild hellion and repressed time-bomb. There's only fixed rule to raising a good child: By Any Means Nessisary

kerrisan
08-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree completely, JustADude! If/when I have kids, I will lecture them in the grocery store, drag them kicking and screaming away from the candy/sugar cereals, and even spank them if I feel it's necissary. And I will fight the system if I need to.

Crow The Robot
08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
On a flight from Newark, NJ to Portland, OR, there was a kid who kept saying "look Mommy a_____" fill in the blank with whatever you would normally see while flying on an airplane and he did this the entire trip. i kid you not. 4 HOURS., of this kid. To get an idea of how this was for others, say in a high-pitched voice, "Look Mommy a car, plane, cloud, mountain, rod, building, field, truck, bird, the sun, etc." Until You can't take it anymore, and thenn just do it some more. "Mommy" didn't do/say anything but watched "Johnson Family Vacation" so i guess she suffered as well.:devil:
As for diciplining kids I've seen it in WM, and most(90%) of the time it's reasonable and not abusive.