PDA

View Full Version : Where is my raise

braindead
08-12-2006, 12:46 AM
This is going to be kinda a rant but I have to out with ith. I want a raise. At my last review my manager said I was doing a great job and when things are looking better he would give me a raise. Ok so skip forward our company laid off 7 people and one quit. Most people in our company are on a profit sharing thing. We only had 30 people working before the layoff. Anyway after all of this still no one has been given a raise. Now everyone working there has to make up the work of those that are no longer there. I know that the person that quit made at least $9/hr. To me that means that at least 9 people should at least get $1 raise or everyone get a 40 cent raise. This would not hurt the company because they never anticipated losing the person to begin with. Is it just me or does this seem like BS. Maybe I am just tired of working 2 jobs for the same pay and being whiney but to me it seems like this would be a good incentive to all of us that are busting ass and getting nothing more than a good job see you tomorrow.

grrrrrrrr:rage:

ShockQueen
08-12-2006, 01:04 AM
The time it REALLY sucks is when they bring in brand new people, and then give them MORE than what you're making NOW. I've had that happen a few times, and needless to say, I figured out the shortest route to the exit each time. It's just not worth keeping people if you're just going to pay the new people more. It's always those companies that say "never discuss your wages"..........and now we all know why.

Zinjadu
08-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Oh how employers love to BS about raises! Never believe them unless you get it in writing! $#^&*# cheap lying scumsuckers!

My fiance's son worked at the golden arches and was his boss's 'best employee', and he kept getting told they'd give him a raise and they never did, so he quit.
Then he worked as a dishwasher at a buffet place, and they also made him do prep cook work, and told him he'd be getting a raise for that, and the raise never came. He did get free tickets to a few football games, though. He quit there, too, cuz they kept making him work overtime, without paying the extra.

Byronthebanker
08-12-2006, 02:21 AM
I could write a book sized rant over pay. Just to say, just the divisoin I work in of our company posted a 1.18 Billion (Billion with a B) profit last QUARTER, and raises were basically 2% across the board.

Somewhere in that $1,180,000,000.00 there would have to be a couple bucks they could throw our way.

"Profit from consumer banking rose 21 percent to $1.18 billion. . ."

KayEm
08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
The time it REALLY sucks is when they bring in brand new people, and then give them MORE than what you're making NOW. I've had that happen a few times, and needless to say, I figured out the shortest route to the exit each time. It's just not worth keeping people if you're just going to pay the new people more. It's always those companies that say "never discuss your wages"..........and now we all know why.

Don't even get me started on that bullshit ! My company pulls the same exact crap. I've been at Freds for nearly two years now and the number of new people that they bring in at higher wages seriously makes me want to go postal.

I've been told how good I am, how dependable, blah de blah...but yet, when I asked for a raise a month or so again, they couldn't hem and haw fast enough to excuse why they "can't do that".

You can't ? Uh..didn't you just give Melissa a dollar raise after she went to you and asked for one ? "Can't do that " ???

Fuckers.

I can't WAIT till my last day. I swear. Fred Meyers is gonna get some serious words from me. And everybody who knows me well at all KNOWS I will verbally trash these people.

NightAngel
08-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Aren't your evaluation and raise times set? Ours are- twice a year, without fail we get an evaluation and a raise in accordance with how well our eval is.
We (all employees) also get a quarterly bonus based on our store's overall revenue. (In other words- it really DOES pay to upsell.)

I'd also like to say that what your co- workers make is none of your business.
The only person/people who should know what is made is HR and possibly the SM. I have always considered it amazingly rude when people ask me how much I make and I certainly would never consider asking my co- workers how much they make.

The only answer I give to that question is a scowl and a simple, "Enough."

JuniorMintz
08-14-2006, 12:11 AM
I've discussed wages with my coworkers before, but only with the couple of people I consider my dearest friends at the place. Anything we say to each other stays with us.

"Cindy", however, is constantly bitching about "our" lack of raises and how "it's ridiculous, we should *all* sign a letter asking why we haven't gotten them yet?!?"

I always have to bite my tongue, because my initial answer is always "Bitch, write your OWN letter because the rest of us DID get our raises-they're based on merit, you lazy slug!"

But of course I keep it to myself. What can you do?:rolleyes:

LostMyMind
08-14-2006, 03:32 PM
@JuniorMintz
You should just say "I'm happy with what I'm getting paid. If you don't like it, find a different job."

I'm not saying management should use this line. It's a crappy line to use. However, if your job is giving out raises and you got a few still complaining. Those fews should be given that line.

Becks
08-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Never ever ever discuss pay with coworkers. All it does is create bad feelings.

I do agree, however, that it is sucktacular that new people get hired at a higher rate than people who have been there a while. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

KayEm
08-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Aren't your evaluation and raise times set? Ours are- twice a year, without fail we get an evaluation and a raise in accordance with how well our eval is.
We (all employees) also get a quarterly bonus based on our store's overall revenue. (In other words- it really DOES pay to upsell.)

I'd also like to say that what your co- workers make is none of your business.
The only person/people who should know what is made is HR and possibly the SM. I have always considered it amazingly rude when people ask me how much I make and I certainly would never consider asking my co- workers how much they make.

The only answer I give to that question is a scowl and a simple, "Enough."

I beg to differ. It IS your business if you've been there a lot longer and make less then the new hires. In my opinion this is shady and devious.

A co-worker of mine in the deli went to management and got approved for a 1.00 raise because she told him she'd been there two years and the new hires were getting more. When I tried the same thing all I got was "we don't do merit raises anymore".

Yet, I've always come in on days off, rarely call in etc etc. All I'm asking for here is fair treatment.

Our store gives raises automatically after a certain number of hours worked, and those raises depend upon which department you work in and the pay scale. My raises are nickels and I get these after roughly 800 hours worked. I'm not supposed to complain about this, or get another job ???

To me, this statement is tantamount to when SCs say "If you don't like it, get another job"

NightAngel
08-14-2006, 05:17 PM
To me it's the same as asking how much money is in your bank account? Or what's the limit on your credit card? You probably wouldn't be too keen on answering those questions to anyone. Personal finance is called thus because it's personal.

What I'm wondering is how do you know how much they are making?
Are you asking every new hire to tell you how much they make? Do you see their pay stubs? Do you know for a fact that the other woman got a raise or could she just be talking through her teeth?

And really... if your job sucks so bad, is so stressful and the pay is so terrible why aren't you looking for another job?

protege
08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Quite a few companies do not want their employees discussing pay/raise issues. All it does is stir up resentment and make the workplace hostile. Some will even fire you for it.

KayEm
08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Quite a few companies do not want their employees discussing pay/raise issues. All it does is stir up resentment and make the workplace hostile. Some will even fire you for it.

Let's please not pass the buck on what creates hostility and resentment. This is solely the companies fault. If they paid people fairly they wouldn't NEED to worry about who talks to who about how much people make and employees wouldn't be hostile in the first place.

Besides, there's such a thing as the company grapevine. People aren't supposed to talk about pay, but everyone knows.

protege
08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Let's please not pass the buck on what creates hostility and resentment. This is solely the companies fault. If they paid people fairly they wouldn't NEED to worry about who talks to who about how much people make and employees wouldn't be hostile in the first place.

It wouldn't matter how much people were paid. They'd still find a way to complain about it.

air914
08-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I think it's important to ask what others are getting paid - or at least what they started at to make sure you're getting a fair deal. I only found out after I had been working for some time at one job that I was getting paid less than everyone else. This was NOT fair and NOT b/c of merit - I worked harder than all of those people put together (I am NOT exaggerating by any means - I truly cared about my job and I think I was the only one who was not there just for a paycheck - and I was getting paid less!) I also found out that everyone else got a raise when I did not - if I had never asked, I would have never found out how much the company was screwing me over personally - all b/c a district manager wouldn't help me and so I went to Human Resources from Corporate and asked for their help - guess maybe somehow that got back to her and she was bitter about it... anyway, I'm not asking you how much you have in your bank account or even how much you made that week or what your c.c. limit is - I'm just asking what is your starting rate of pay? Or since you have been working here, what has your wage gone up? That's important - if people work somewhere for 5 years and never get a raise - you want to leave that place a.s.a.p!!! And if someone doesn't want to share - they simply have to say that they don't feel comfortable discussing it - end of story. Other than that - you can find out some important information by simply asking.... I suppose some people could lie - but what's the point? It's not like you're asking them as someone hiring them and they want a higher rate of pay from you - you just want to know if you're getting paid fairly. Anyway - that's my opinion :)

Oh and NEVER believe anything they tell you unless it's in writing!!

KayEm
08-14-2006, 07:12 PM
It wouldn't matter how much people were paid. They'd still find a way to complain about it.

That comment sounds so pro-corporation and anti-employee it's not even funny. Remind me again..what site is this ? I'm beginning to wonder.

NightAngel
08-14-2006, 07:15 PM
air914:
Let's say you and I are in the same work position, at the same company and even hired on the same day. The only way you can know whether or not you are being paid fairly against me is if you know my entire work history, skills, awards, GPA, etc.

You may be in the same position as someone else but that does not mean you deserve as much pay as they do.

TYFSOK
08-15-2006, 01:59 AM
At my last review my manager said I was doing a great job and when things are looking better he would give me a raise. Ok so skip forward our company laid off 7 people and one quit.Pardon me for saying this, but he said "when things are looking better." I would think that if the company had to lay off seven people, things are NOT looking better. It's usually a cost-saving measure, and to simply split up the salary of the laid-off people to give to the remaining staff would negate that.

JuniorMintz
08-15-2006, 02:14 AM
That comment sounds so pro-corporation and anti-employee it's not even funny. Remind me again..what site is this ? I'm beginning to wonder.

I think he knows what site this is, considering he's a mod and all. And he's right, people will complain about *anything*-sucky people are sucky people, no matter what side of the counter you're stuck on.

Ree
08-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Another reminder that we are all on the same team here, people.

Members come here to vent and get support.

Verbally punching each other in the gut and sniping at each other isn't accomplishing anything constructive or supportive.

:respect:

Imogene
08-15-2006, 05:36 AM
I distinctly remember at least one instance where I was up for a merit review/raise, and it just sat there, gathering dust, for months. In fact, it was so late in being given to me, the day the paperwork finally cleared, the store got notice that I was due for ANOTHER! However, they did give me all my backpay.
Another time, I remember old SM just up and telling me, mid shift: "I did your merit review. You're getting a 4% increase."
M: *blink blink* "Huhwhat?"
"I sent in your review. Your next paycheck should have a 4% increase on it." (Bull and Sh*t. It was never the 'Next paycheck'. No matter how many times the SM, in fact, any of the SM's... tried to get my raise, it would always be wrong in some way or another to corporate.)
M: "Can I at least see my review, then?"
"Sure, I have a copy..."
M: "Would've been nice to actually have... you know, discussed my review... just a thought." (not out loud)

KayEm
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I think he knows what site this is, considering he's a mod and all. And he's right, people will complain about *anything*-sucky people are sucky people, no matter what side of the counter you're stuck on.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that first part, and I do apologize for it because it did sound snipy.

BUT...I fail to see how complaining about shitty raises, or late raises, or non-existant raises, or when people who are newly hired (with the same experience as you) is sucky behaviour. Complaining isn't always sucky. Sometimes it's actually legitimate.

braindead
08-17-2006, 12:40 AM
OK that went way outside of what I was expecting. I did not mean for everyone to get so snippy with each other. Ok there is a few things I want to make clear.

1. Was have a crappy day way. I was way over worked.
2. In my 4 years working there I have only gotten 1 raise.
3. My knowledge of the amount the other person made was none of my business. I found out when I was accidentally given her pay stub instead of mine.
4. It didnt bother me that she made more than me or how she got there. The only times it bothers me is when the buttkissers do so just for the money. I really used to care about my job and my work. I worked my ass off. I am not resentful of my extra work and my giving a crap.

5. and the biggest point of all. I dont want them to give up money that the company planned on. I was pointing out to use the pay for the person that quit and was not laid off. Nobody gets hurt. Also with all the people they let go of all the other employees need raises because we are all doing double work. I work customer service and data entry at the same time. I gave up on accually going anywhere for lunch because otherwise I will get behind.

I think those of us that work hard, know we are doing all we can deserve a raise. I am sorry that this sparked so much from so many.

One last thing because I have heard this before. I stay where I am at because this area is limited for work, My hubby and I work together 1 car, and I am current in process of starting my own business but you gots to have to start up capital. :) I cant wait.

I am suprised by that attacking that happened over this. I now know better. :headscratch:

Ree
08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks, braindead.

It takes a lot of maturity to apologize when something we posted wasn't well received and a thread went south. I wish more people would take responsibility for their actions.

Nicely done. :salute:

I think, though, that there were a lot of people posting in this thread who have a lot more to answer for than you do.
It's still refreshing to me to see an apology from you, though.