PDA

View Full Version : I Guess This Counts?

NightAngel
08-12-2006, 07:08 PM
There is only one grocery store in my area that is open when I get off work. If I hurry I can make it there within about 15 minutes of close to get what I need. Usually, the same girl is always on register at close.

Generally, I'm just there to grab one or two items I'll need directly when I get home. Normally, I don't buy cigarettes there because they're too expensive. The other night I was too tired to make a second stop so I asked her for cigs also which meant she had to walk maybe 10 feet over to the service desk.

She's a fast checker and a fast walker.

There was about 3 people in line behind me. They hadn't even shown up until after my transaction had started. They had NOT been waiting for even two whole minutes.

The guy directly behind me turned to the guy directly behind him and says, "Man! Can you BELIEVE how long we've been waiting! Could she be ANY SLOWER?!"
Guy 2 was like, "Yeah."

I turned towards them, crossed my arms and glared evilly at them.
Silence befell them.

She returned promptly with my cigs- I smiled, thanked her and wished her a very nice evening.

I heard her ask the next guy, "How are you tonight?"
He responded, "Uhm, fine. You?"

Antisocial_Worker
08-12-2006, 10:17 PM
You go, girl.

(and take those tacky shoes with you -- sorry, I saw that on a bumper sticker and couldn't resist)

Back on topic, isn't it amazing how the realization that someone else does not think you're funny will kill stupidity right where it stands? So much SC assholery in the world could be stamped out with a few stern glares by more concerned fellow customers.

kerrisan
08-12-2006, 10:31 PM
My response: "Could you be any b*tchier???" Then I would take my sweet time gathering my change and "accidentally" drop my change on the counter, picking it up one by one. The answer to your question, Mr. SC? Why, yes. Yes, this transaction can indeed go slower.

JustADude
08-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I'll second that. Good work on quashing that before they decided to ruin the girl's night by hastling her.

NightAngel
08-13-2006, 02:50 AM
(and take those tacky shoes with you -- sorry, I saw that on a bumper sticker and couldn't resist)

Actually, my hubby does think my shoes are tacky. LOL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Nokomys/0221F-CLA430.jpg

JustADude
08-15-2006, 01:41 AM

Bit thick in the sole, but not bad if you're going for the punk/goth platform-boot look. :angel:

Lace Neil Singer
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Nokomys/0221F-CLA430.jpg

*steals your shoes* :angel: Those are gorgeous! I've got a pair of New Rock boots, but I'd like some like yours too. :D

lordlundar
08-15-2006, 02:51 PM
:burnup:

I'm pretty sure that's how people that see me when I'm in a bad mood. Their reactions certainly give that impression.:devil:

air914
08-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Do you all remember that commercial where the impatient "business-ey" white guy is in a restaurant asking for wheat bread and berates the poor Spanish-speaking worker? He turns to someone else and says "if they're in our country they should learn the language" or "you can never get good help anymore" or something to that nature and the other customer (also white) just looks at him and says something like "I don't agree" - the intial white business-ey guy just looks around him at the other people watching his tirade and thinking he's an idiot and he sheepeshly "sinks" into his chair a little....... it was some commercial against prejudice I think - but I always thought it was really good - put that guy right in his place.......

Mixed Bag
08-15-2006, 09:48 PM
:ot: :ot:
I don't understand--unless a business in an English-speaking country clearly indicates that it doesn't serve in that language, why shouldn't customers expect its employees to understand English? (Not that I've seen the ad, though.)

Just an observation--and I wish immigrants and the less fortunate well here: Some--who think improving less fortunate countries is a more elegant solution than crowding the best ones--are alert to when others, who may disagree--complain about things like bad traffic and housing prices--and we all know how common that is. :)

Ree
08-15-2006, 10:24 PM
....anyway, getting back on topic...

I love stopping idiots in their tracks like that.
They mouth off at clerks and then turn with a dumb grin, expecting some type of pat on the back or something and all they get is the Ree stone-face.

Love it.

Mixed Bag
08-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry for not adding the OT signs myself, but I thought it was perfectly on-topic to point out how legitimate viewpoints could be made to look bad when they're voiced by an SC, as that's a common theme here. I know the poster before me meant well, but I thought a counterpoint was appropriate.

Ree
08-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Sorry for not adding the OT signs myself, but I thought it was perfectly on-topic to point out how legitimate viewpoints could be made to look bad when they're voiced by an SC...The point of the thread was not to argue viewpoints.

air914 was only using a commercial that s/he had seen to help illustrate how a person, by stepping up and pointing out that something is wrong, can stop things like that dead in their tracks, as that was the point of NightAngel's OP in this thread.

By focusing only on the language factor of that commercial, which really wasn't the point of air914's post at all, you were derailing to a completely different issue which has been discussed ad nauseum on this site and every time, results in animosity and a closed thread.

Mixed Bag
08-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Once in a used record store where I was browsing heavily I placed misfiled discs back in their proper sleeves. I don't blame the suspicious clerk for wondering if I was doing something else, but--not to disregard the burden of the SCs we've all dealt with--may I suggest that one way to diminish such experiences might be to not assume that everyone who looks like a troublemaker is going to be one?

Ree, I'm sorry you felt that pointing out they dynamics of a conversation constituted unacceptable advocacy for a position; while I don't wish to cause trouble, I didn't feel obligated to avoid a topic--which someone else brought up--just because your experience might be that others might not discuss it respectfully. I thought my response to what strikes me as a biased ad--for a controversial topic I didn't start--was quite restrained.

NightAngel
08-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Okay... how's about this?

1. Ree is a mod. When she says stop- then you stop.

2. My post is NOT about the language debate.
air94's reply was not either.

3. Your replies have zero to do with my post and continues to have nothing to do with my post.

4. CS is not a debate forum.

5. We've talked the "language" issue into the ground hundreds of times.
It never ends well. I don't want that.

6. Drop it or I'll close my own thread and I'll issue warning points.

Thanks.

purplecat41877
08-20-2006, 12:28 AM
There was about 3 people in line behind me. They hadn't even shown up until after my transaction had started. They had NOT been waiting for even two whole minutes.

If I saw any customers complain like the 2 you saw, they'd also get "the look". It sounded like the customers had only been waiting for a few seconds since they came up after you had.:o

pbmods
08-30-2006, 11:39 PM
My response: "Could you be any b*tchier???" Then I would take my sweet time gathering my change and "accidentally" drop my change on the counter, picking it up one by one. The answer to your question, Mr. SC? Why, yes. Yes, this transaction can indeed go slower.

Don't do that! Then it makes the poor clerk have to wait even longer until she can start closing her register/the store so she can go home! :(