PDA

View Full Version : Just shut up and sell us the computer. Bad time at Best Buy

Crosshair
08-20-2006, 03:39 AM
I now remember why I hate Best Buy. Pushy as hell salespeople who say anything to make a sale and don't know a PCI slot from their butt. (Now I think I have offended everyone who works at Best Buy, so on with my story from today.)

My grandma can't see very well and needs large font on her computer to see. The only problem is that IE will only let you make the text so big. Grandmas computer is a Pentium 60 with 32 MB of ram, 500MB hard drive, and runs Windows 95 so there is really no chance in hell of upgrading it and it is already slow enough. My family decided to bite the bullet and buy grandma a new computer. We see Best Buy has a E-machines bundle for $300. It is nowhere near top of the line, but it will work just fine for grandma. I could build a computer for grandma, but my family seems to like store bought computers. I build my own PC's and have my A+ Certification.

My mom and I go into the store and find the display of the system we want. We flag an employee down and tell him we would like to buy this system. He says OK and gives my mom a sheet to fill out and goes to get the parts. We look at the sheet and see that it is nothing but showing the services they offer. I want to know how much a service plan on this system will cost, however, that is nowhere on the sheet. The guy comes back with a cart that has the computer and monitor on it and says he will be right back with the printer. He comes back and sets the printer and a 6' USB cable onto the cart. My mom asks, "What is that cable for?" The mans says, "It's for the printer." OK, we have the computer, lets go. However the guy has the slip giving us the discount on the bundle. I manage to get him to tell me that the service plan is $150 for 3 years. OK, so we arn't getting that and we ask to go to the checkout and but the system. NO, we have to wait until he goes over the available service plans with us and two other customers. It becomes quite clear that only one of these people actualy has any interest in the garbage this bafoon is spewing out.

Two of us are buying the $300 system and one girl is buying a laptop. Both of us with the $300 systems want to get the fark out of there. So we stand there for 10 minutes listening to his rambeling about how wonderfull the service plans are. I would have pointed out all the errors in his pitch (Like how people get viruses all the time while playing video games.) but I wanted to get the hell out of there. I saw my mom give the guy her, "I'm gona rip your head off and use it as a football." look. I finaly took the initative and started to push the cart to the front and the guy finaly came and helped us check out. We kept looking at the total on the register and it was comming out as $357, way too much for a $300 system + tax. My mom asked if that was correct, the cashier said that it would go down once the sale was finalised the the bundle price would take effect. (At this point my brain is in power save mode and I'm just standing there like an idiot.)

We finish the sale and go outside to load the system into our car. The sun and fresh air melts the brain freeze I am in and we start talking about the price. My mom looks at the slip and finds that the USB cable that the salesperson put onto the cart was $34.:wtf: We both look at each other in shock at what this person just did. He deceptivly sold us an overpriced piece of cable (That I could get for less than $8 at the mom & pop store we have in town.) while we where under the impression that it was part of the bundle. We had had enough at this point and my mom vowed to return it this week when it wasn't so busy.

GRRRRRRRR, I can't believe he did that to us. Bored us to death with his drivel and then lied to us about the cable being part of the bundle Good news is that I got the computer setup at my grandmas and it works good enough for what she uses it for.

/Sorry to all Best Buy employees.

ArenaBoy
08-20-2006, 03:56 AM
I don't even shop there anymore, they are rude about the return policy, (Sold me an overpriced flash drive.) and they are like you said, not the most technically adapt either.

Becks
08-20-2006, 03:52 PM
My impression from the story is that you and your mom were looking at the receipt out in the parking lot. Is that the case? If so, you guys should've returned that cable right then and there.

JustAGirl
08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
wow that much for a usb cable? THE NERVE... I woulda returned it right away and had a chat with the 'salesperson'... whoa

LostMyMind
08-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Aye, USB 2 cables cost an arm and leg (just like those "special" IEEE parallel cables that fancier printers used before USB). Unless you reallllllllly need the speed of USB 2 cables, the dirty secret of USB is that majority of the time USB 1 cables will work just fine (just slower).

trunks2k
08-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Aye, USB 2 cables cost an arm and leg (just like those "special" IEEE parallel cables that fancier printers used before USB). Unless you reallllllllly need the speed of USB 2 cables, the dirty secret of USB is that majority of the time USB 1 cables will work just fine (just slower).

That's a dirty secret? When I first read about USB2 coming, out, that was a selling point.

LostMyMind
08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
You can get USB 1 cables almost dirt cheap but USB 2 cables cost around $30.

Do you really need that "paper" to print 3 secs faster?

Imogene
08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Okay, I have Best Buy Stories as well...
So, let's set the scene for the first story:
Myself and Dad were in a nearby Best Buy, looking at computers for me, since I had just gotten a nicely paying job, he and I had decided on a computer that would be good for me, but Dad wanted me to be the major buyer for the loan so I could build up a credit rating. Seeing as Dad had driven that day, I did not have my wallet on me, and thus, no ID. Dad was talking to the woman doing the loan approval thing, and she said I needed ID here to start the process. Dad was like "Well, I'm going to be on the loan as well, can I give you my ID, and you can start the loan while we run home and get his ID?" No, no, no, a thousand times no. Dad and I left, went to Circuit City across the street, they approved me in no time. Dad swore he would never set foot in that or any Best Buy ever again, which I keep reminding him about whenever he goes into one.

A couple months later, my brother and I are in the same Best Buy, as I had a wad of cash in my hand, and wanted to buy a nice tv for my video games. He and I looked around a bit, found one I liked, got a sales guy, told him I wanted this tv. Guy says okay, it should be out in a few minutes. Bro and I wander off to do other stuff while we wait. Ten minutes later (I swear) I wandered back to the tvs, ask on the status of the tv I wanted. "Oh, it's behind some refridgerators..." Okay... off I wander again. Another ten minutes, I check again. "That was the wrong tv." Repeat. Seven more times. An hour and a half after my brother and I walked into the store, they finally brought out the tv I had asked for. Stupid me, I could've complained and probably gotten it cheaper for waiting so long, but no, I was never that rude.

Best Buy used to own the store I worked in, for about three years while I worked in Chesterfield, Best Buy employees would walk in, look around, and come up for their discount. This has a two fold story to it. If I walked into the Best Buy on my way to work, as soon as they saw my shirt, they refused to help me find anything. I never once got bothered while in the store. And, after Best Buy sold us, we had employees come in (some up to a year later), come up to the register, ask how much the employee discount was, and I'd get to say "Where do you work?" "Best Buy." "HA HA! YOUR DISCOUNT IS ZERO!" "What?" Best Buy doesn't own us any longer, as such, you are entitled to nothing."

JustADude
08-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Go Circuit City, they're generally cheaper AND the service has always been better.

trunks2k
08-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Go Circuit City, they're generally cheaper AND the service has always been better.

I've found Best Buy cheaper. At least for TVs.

Banrion
08-22-2006, 12:55 PM

They are rarely cheaper than Best Buy, the sales people are pushier because they are on commission, even in the crappy calculator & headphones section, and they have some of the most unethical management practices I have ever seen. So as not to derail this topic too far, I will go post my Circuit City experience in Morons in Management.

Mr. Rager!
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM

In a word, "yes." :p

I have actually not had any problems with Best Buy. It's still one of my favorite places to shop. They ask if I'd like the service plan, I say no, they're good and continue about everything.

Why not ask if the USB cable came part of the bundle, if they say no, then you ask how much it is. If you don't like the price, then you ask if there is anything cheaper.

LostMyMind
08-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Fashion Lad, I believe the salesman lead him to believe the USB cable was part of the "package". BestBuy folks tend to do that. If you buy a printer, they'll "add" ink, cable, etc.... to your cart. I usually tell them, I don't need all that just the printer.

Mr. Rager!
08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I guess I always assume that it's partially my responsibility to double check things. I would've asked, "is that part of the package?"

I mean they shouldn't lead people to assume things, but people should also take the steps to cover themselves.

KuzcoLlama
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm confused. Best buy employees don't work on comission. They have no reason to even want to sell more, they get paid the same no matter what.

powerboy
08-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Just today, I was in Best Buy, and of course, I had a employee, treat me like crap, just because I asked him something. Luckily for me, there is a Circuit City, just around the block

JustADude
08-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Just today, I was in Best Buy, and of course, I had a employee, treat me like crap, just because I asked him something. Luckily for me, there is a Circuit City, just around the block

You know, now that I think about it, there's been a CC right next to every BB I've ever been too, and vice-versa. Weeeird.

Gurndigarn
08-23-2006, 12:10 AM
You know, now that I think about it, there's been a CC right next to every BB I've ever been too, and vice-versa. Weeeird.

It's not too unlike the Lowes/Home Depot semi-feud.

rdp78
08-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Well, I've been thinking about buying a laptop since my computer is getting slower not to mention my keyboard is now yucky looking (my fault for eating at my desk) and I brought at yep, Best Buy in July 2002. I tell ya never do a big purchase after 9 pm becuase I sort of now regret it becuase the total was like 18 hundred bucks (I did get some rebates so it was like 1500) and I didn't even get the software I really wanted which I brought later on. I did get the 3 year-plan and only had to use it once. Anyway in 2004 I got a virus on it and the two disc drivers did not work at all. Now the only Best Buy is across town and so I had to do it on weekend. The pain is it supposed take four days but it took almost week to get it fixed. Well, they got rid of the virus not to mention updating the Anti-virus program but the disc drivers still didn't work. So we had to take it back again and wait another four days to get those fixed. Well, I wasn't charged for the disc drivers but I think I was charged for getting rid of the virus. Anyway a few months ago my computer got another virus and instead of going back to BB not to mention my warranty was up anyway I tried to get rid of it myself but it didn't work. Well, there is privately own computer store on my way to work and so I took it over there. They did the job in about a day and got it the next day. I paid like 80 bucks but it was worth it since I probably would pay that much going back and forth to BB.

About that laptop well, I'm not going to buy it anytime soon since my computer is still running pretty good and I just brought some new software too. Anyway I'm thinking just buying one after the new year since they usually have good sales on them and I would like to have some more money in the bank before doing that anyway. I also not likely buy it from BB and possibly a store more closer to my house. There is Staples and a couple Radio Shacks nearer to my house but they don't have many choices as BB does. There is a CC near the BB but again it's across town (how ironic).

Kiwi
08-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Call me fussy but, if I dont like a sales person, I go to another store or ask for another person. Im always polite about it, they usually ask why and Im honest "Your being to pushy and making me uncomfortable"

They either take the hint and back right off completely and they get the sale, or they kept going in the same vein and they lose the sale

If im made to feel as if Im an inconvience, then I simply stop inconviencing them. Im not rude, I dont yell or look down on them, I smile and put my best foot foward as it were.... if they follow suit then all is well.

Ive walked out of a store when buying a kingsize bed this year, and a washing machine and dryer both times because the salesperson and I just didnt click. The bed girl totally ignored our price range, our requirements and the store pulled a bait and switch (I posted on that before the site went down). We went to another store and the guy went out of his way to get us a bed we actually wanted, even showed us a cheaper option of getting a floor model so we could get a bigger size (we went out to buy a queen and ended up with a dusty king for the same price)

Same with the washing machine and dryer, it was like it was a huge hassle for the salesman because we didnt want to buy a maytag.... again, walked into a different shop, and a saleswoman was straight up.

Im not being a sucky customer when I expect someone to do the job they are paid to do, and that is providing me with good service, the best service you can offer. Finding out what I want, and matching the best product to my needs. I only go with sales people whom I find honest and trustworthy (but I ALWAYS compare products and prices, never go in blind) not the sleazy out to get a sale at all costs types. If a store is known for doing that, im not going there. This goes for big purchases especially, large home furnshings, computers, whiteware, cars.

Its your money the stores after, and like we have said on this site time and time again, no ones forcing you to shop there, go where you get the best service for the price you can afford.

Heck it took me 4 driving instructors before I found one whos teaching style matched my learning style. You have every right to shop around and be happy. Being a sucky customer is about expecting the impossible or throwing a tantrum when something doesnt go your way, not expecting a salesperson to slip items into your cart under the guise that its part of a package deal.

But then.... im fussy

Nick
08-23-2006, 09:56 AM
If I were you, I would have just bought parts off Newegg, and built the system for about ~200. Then again, you stated that your family likes to buy from a store, which is usually no problem.
I will not shop at Best Buy anymore, unless I really need something and don't have time to travel 30 minutes out of my way. I bought my 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930B for $400. It was advertised as $340. I showed them the Advertisement, and they said they do not honor all the advertisements. I thought that was a crock of shit, and bought it anyways.

ditchdj
08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
They dont honor all the advertisements???? I'm guessing that's why they always say "At all participating locations".

Gost2036
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow, I work at Best Buy and honestly none of this surprises me cause I will only shop at the one I work at. I've been to other Best Buys and seen some of the ridiculous behavior that allowed to fly there that would get them fired at my store. You should all come shop at my store to keep me amused in my mind numbing job and I'll hook you up with competent salesmen.

protege
08-25-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't like going to Circuit City, and try to stay away from that place. Sorry folks, but I think their salespeople are annoying. I don't like having to tell the same person "just looking" 52 times while I'm in there. Best Buy isn't too far away...less than a mile, so I usually go there. Sometimes though, going to CC is unavoidable...

The last time, I was putting a new stereo system in the Mazda. At the time, I wasn't too interested in doing it myself. I started looking around, and both BB and CC seemed to have the best deal. I had the ads, so I went to BB first.

When I got there, the stereo I wanted was more than at CC, and BB charged for installation. When presented with the CC ad, they *refused* to match the price. Fair enough, they had their chance. Drove over to CC, and had them install the stereo.

Boulder_Bear
08-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Best Buy quoted me a return policy on my DVD burning software when I went to return it they told me the policy had since become shorter and could no longer accept the software back. I was so frieking mad.

LostMyMind
08-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Best Buy quoted me a return policy on my DVD burning software when I went to return it they told me the policy had since become shorter and could no longer accept the software back.
Their return policy (at least the one here) usually gets printed on the receipt. If your receipt shows the return policy that was told to you, all you had to do was point to the receipt. But for a very long time now, software return has been "unopen" or damage only. Must have been a while back.

hawkchick11
08-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Unfortunately, I use to work at Best Buy... I lasted 7 months... which is about 6 months longer than most people. After working there, and seeing all of the lies and stuff that management was ok with, I refuse to shop there. I won't let anyone in my family shop there either.

Theres an interesting site that I like to read, bestbuysux.org. It has stories from employees and customers. At first I thought it was just management at my store that was corrupt/sucky, but no, its pretty much in the entire corporation.

repsac
08-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Recently, I've been updating an old computer I have. It's not much, but through several upgrades and updates, I've got it almost top of the line. All that remains is me putting a new MB in and then it's good for a few more years.

While monkeying around, I came to need some RAM. Wanting to upgrade from the one hundred something I had to at least a gig. Well, due to several missed updates, I needed 168 pin SDRAM, as opposed to the more common DDR2 SDRAM. I thought, if anyone would have it. BB would.

Walking into the store, I'm presented with a moron that has a few customers in front of me. I spy a TV playing the new wallace and grommit movie, so I opt to camp out a while.

Twenty minutes later, I'm next. Walking up to the quy I say quote "I need DDR SDRAM for an older PC, preferably one gig, but 512 will work." The guy gives me a funny look, turns around, picks up a DDR2 stick set and hands it over. Looking at it I shook my head. "No. That's not what I need." Again he looks at me odd and says. "Yeah, that's it. That's all computers use anymore." Pausing a moment, I stare at him in wonder before saying. "Maybe, but this is an OLDER computer. I need the DDR ram with 168 pins. Not that." He's persistant, I'll give him that. "Yeah, but this is what computers use." Giving up I finally say. "Look. Do you carry DDR ram? And don't hand me that. It's not what I need. I need something else. See, even the notches are different." Wonderboy gives me a funky look and says cheerily. "Well, whatever it is. This is what you need. That's unless you're using an out of date piece of crap."

I just walked away after that. I know for a fact, when I get the new MB, I'm going to circuit city.

Rapscallion
08-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Best Buy quoted me a return policy on my DVD burning software when I went to return it they told me the policy had since become shorter and could no longer accept the software back. I was so frieking mad.

Not sure how it works in the US, but over here that would be a breach of contract.

The contract is set at the time of sale. If the policy changes after the event, they are bound to accept the conditions of sale at the time it was sold. For example, if you bought a car on the grounds it was safe with a warranty, found that it randomly filled the driver's seat with fuel every so often and took it back, but the dealer had added in a clause to say that the warranty no longer covered that, you'd be able to sue their bum to the moon and back.

Rapscallion

repsac
08-26-2006, 04:09 AM
Not sure how it works in the US, but over here that would be a breach of contract.
Rapscallion

Raps, the problem is in many states, the DVD burning software is coming under fire because people are using it to rent movies and then copy them. There's a ton of legislation int he works, but it basically works out like this:

Stores are getting more and more afraid that a person will buy such software to burn some discs. Then, once they've gotten all the movies they want, they'll return the software to get something else. The problem for the store rests in the way some district attorneys have taken this. I remember one case out of texas where not only was a young man arrested for copyright infringement, but the store (I think an On Cue or something similar) that had sold him the software, was severely fined and the manager faced charges.

Rapscallion
08-26-2006, 04:15 AM
I can see where you're coming from, but that's not the point I was making. If goods are sold under a certain return policy, they should not be able to change the return policy for that item.

Rapscallion

repsac
08-26-2006, 05:28 PM
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20021202

Lehk
08-28-2006, 05:19 AM
You can get USB 1 cables almost dirt cheap but USB 2 cables cost around $30.

you must be shopping at the wrong places http://sewelldirect.com/USB2DeviceCable10Foot.asp

6 bucks for a 10 footer A-B (most/all? peripherals use A-B)

about the only cables that are legitimately expensive are HDMI cables and even those you can get for around $60 if you look for 'em.

Crosshair
08-28-2006, 05:43 AM
My mom did return the cable last week, but at that point she had had enough of BB and just wanted to get home.

If I were you, I would have just bought parts off Newegg, and built the system for about ~200. Then again, you stated that your family likes to buy from a store, which is usually no problem.
Yea, my family doesn't want me to build their computers because my computers look like crap (No covers on the cases, cables hanging out, etc.) I can and do build nice looking computers, I just don't care what MY computers look like. (Function over Form.) Guess my family doesn't trust me.

crabbycabbie
08-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I actually like the people at my BB...then again when I shop by the time I go into a store I know EXACTLY what I want and how much it ought to cost

I do all my window shopping online then head to BB...my only gripe with them is the store's policies not the salepeople

I bought the tower part of my latest computer there and was looking at flat monitors...I asked them how many pixels can be bad before they'll take it back without charging me something(at that store it was FIVE!)...I told them if I was gonna spend over $800 for a monitor I want it to be perfect...they said so sorry and so did I(I got mine elsewhere and it has zero bad pixels(even years later) thank you very much)

I needed a simple 6 foot ethernet cable and can you believe it they had NO regular ethernet cables? They showed me a new fangled superduper ethernet cable(with some extra shielding) and wanted over $23 for a 10 foot length piece of cable...sheesh

I ended up going to my cable TV company and giving them my old cable and they gave me a new one for free..no questions asked

On the other hand when I was having trouble connecting to the net(which was why I needed that cable but I didn't know it then) they told me to bring my tower in and they'd check it for me right away..they did and didn't charge me anything for doing so either

BTW I've purchased countless printers over the years and as far as I know...printers and their cables are ALWAYS sold separately(it's a rip off no doubt...not unlike paying more for replacement ink than the printer cost)

I buy those ink refill kits(I've refilled my black ink five times from a $15 kit and still have enough ink left over for another two refills)

protege
08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Yea, my family doesn't want me to build their computers because my computers look like crap (No covers on the cases, cables hanging out, etc.) I can and do build nice looking computers, I just don't care what MY computers look like. (Function over Form.) Guess my family doesn't trust me.

Hehe that sounds like some of the things I've built. I have an old server that currently is running without the side panels installed. For some reason, even with the fans going full blast, the damn thing overheats....unless I remove the case side panels. If I do that, it works fine :)

My feeling is, that as long as it works, I don't care what it looks like. Provided, however, that it's *my* equipment. Whenever I work on stuff for others, I make sure that it not only works like it's supposed to, but has the looks to match.

Ree
08-28-2006, 02:31 PM
So, since this is in "Sightings"...was this an example of a sucky customer or a sucky employee?

I saw both in the story.

LostMyMind
08-28-2006, 02:58 PM
6 bucks for a 10 footer A-B (most/all? peripherals use A-B)
I've use those super cheap USB 2 cables before, the problem with those is their shielding isn't all that great. Which makes them worthless for me, I got way too much electronic interference around my computer.

But I'm sure you knew why those were super cheap and the "better" ones still cost around $20 ;)

Crosshair
08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
So, since this is in "Sightings"...was this an example of a sucky customer or a sucky employee?
It was my intent for it to be a sucky employee story.

COMINATCHA
08-29-2006, 05:08 AM

I saw both in the story.

In what way/s was the customer sucky? Just curious..

JuniorMintz
08-29-2006, 05:17 AM
OT, but does your grandmother wear a trifocal? Because it sounds like she really could use one.

OK I am OFF the clock. I'll stop now. :)

Ree
08-29-2006, 06:15 AM
In what way/s was the customer sucky? Just curious..Well, the title of the thread, for one.
If a customer said that about any of us, we'd all be livid.
The guy may have seemed pushy, but he was doing his job.

How many times have our members complained about being forced to give the whole spiel to the customer, despite the fact that we probably wish we could say whatever the heck we wanted, and being treated with contempt by the customer for having to do so?

As Fashion Lad pointed out, there were questions they could have asked, rather than assuming. Again, how many times have we read comments by members saying, "It's not my problem if the customer didn't ask"?

As Becky Sunshine also pointed out, they were on the parking lot with the cable and the receipt. That was when they should have gone back in and returned the cable. Yeah, I realize they were frazzled at that point, but, again, based on stories I read here, how many times have we heard the members say, "Why didn't they just take care of it then, if that was when they realized there was a problem?"

And, as crabbycabbie pointed out, printers very rarely come with the cables as part of the package.
I haven't yet bought one that I didn't have to get the cable for it as well.

So, yeah, the salesman didn't do his job in that he didn't make sure his cutomer understood what they were buying, but, based on sucky customer behviour described repeatedly on this board, the customer behaved just a little bit sucky as well.

Jet
08-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Well I can see the good and the bad in this, I'm sales in the PC Dept. It was his job to explain the service plan, its our job to try and make sure people get what they need and will make them happy. Its fine if you see no value in it, alot of people do. I myself swear by them.

And about rounding all 3 of you up to talk at the same time is a stacking tool called group selling. He had to tell you all about it so he did it all at once so instead of taking 5min with every individual customer which would have taken 15 min and may have caused people to walk out. He killed 3 birds with one stone.

Now about the cable, it drives me up the wall to no end that our USB cables are that expension. I honestly feel bad selling that cable BUT on the other hand if someone is planning on using that printer and they get home and they have no cable, imagine how steamed they are to have to come all the way back? Now he shouldn't have let you believe thats part of the package and he should have explained in detail about everything that you would maybe need/want.

Sorry you had a bad experience, the sales people at Best Buy aren't commission as someone else said. I know alot of folks take value in making sure everyone gets what they need before they go home, know the full value and benefits of what they offer to make customers happy.

Lehk
08-30-2006, 04:41 AM
my friend used to work at bestbuy, the sales associates are not commissioned, but their bosses are, lovely little system they can claim that salespeople aren't commissioned and still have the bosses breathing down their necks to get better sales constantly

Jet
08-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Our bosses are not commissioned.

LostMyMind
08-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I've never had this problem at the best buy in my area. I had this problem at circuit city. I see the best buy just making sure you had all the stuff you need to completely set up your computer (or whatever you're buying).

However the "extra warranty" crap, gets pushed at the register at my local best buy. And the cashier couldn't care less if you buy it or not.

Lehk
08-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Our bosses are not commissioned.

weird i would have thought policies like that would be corporate wide. maybe different districts have different rules?

tenaciousb
09-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Neither Best Buy nor Circuit City work on commission. I know circuit city used to years ago. Almost no big stores do anymore. Never worked for either of those companies myself.

I know at the electronics section at my store, the attitude is, if its the end of the month and we already hit budget for the month, and you come in and buy a lap top without the plan, we wish you never came in at all. Because all you did is screw up all our hard work to get a good attachment percentage for our service plan number. We could care less.

I remember some impatient lady a few months back came in who admittidly knew nothing about computers wanted to buy a laptop for doing basic shit. So I sold her and inexpensive one. She shot down the service plan (rarely do I hear any good reason why not unless you yourself can fix what you would be buying the plan on) Thats when we tell someone its a 14 return policy and we are not lenient with it if the merchandise is broken because we know at our store if its something big like a laptop that we have to get out of lock up for you, there is no way at least two different people didn't tell you about the service plan. (people try and deny it later when they come back with their broken products and it gets real fun when we remember when we sold the merchandise to that person) She shot down almost every attachment, mouse, carrying case, anti-virus software. So then all she has to do is wait for the manager who is helping other customers to come and get the computer out of lock up. She starts threatening to walk out the door if we don't help her soon. I'm just laughing to myself, wishing she would because again all she is doing is screwing over our service plan number.

Generally that sale sucked because she called ahead to ask about the computer and I thought she would get the plan because usually old ladies understand things break and they don't have any clue how to fix them. Its the young people that are hard to sell to because they still have the attitude that they are untouchable and nothings going to happen to them.

My store has never done it but sometimes I'll get calls from other stores in our chain, wanting to see if we will hold something for a customer who is coming down to pick it up. We say yes as long as we can confirm we have it, because the computer database we can both check might be off. Then after I get off the phone, if its something expensive, I'll check the stock and it'll show that store had two or three of what the customer wanted. They sent the customer to our store because they didn't want the service plan.

I've heard a story that my gm slammed someones pda box against a counter on the way from getting it for them when he was already having a bad day and they said they didn't need the plan and was a douch bag.

Like I said people always have shitty excuses for not wanting the plans. And my level of service always goes down a notch when someone says they don't want it. Oh you don't want it? Well forget about me carrying out your furniture to your car then. Unless your an old lady you can do it yourself, no curtesy for you football players out there.

Cable and ink and paper, and all that is also part of the goal to attach and is all tracked whenever the items ring out on the same receipt. Are you sure the guy didn't tell you needed it to use the printer? Thats generally what I tell people. It is required unless its an all in one printer and all you want to do is fax and copy. But yeah stores rape you on the printer cable. A $20 six foot usb cable is literally 90% profit for the store.

The motivation we have to sell isn't monitary, it is not to get our heads chewed out by the manager for not reaching the goal. Becuase that makes the sales manager look bad, and holds back their oppertunity for advancment since its generally their career. Hostility drives us all. Thats corporations for you.

Lehk
09-05-2006, 01:30 AM
the attitude is, if its the end of the month and we already hit budget for the month, and you come in and buy a lap top without the plan, we wish you never came in at all. Because all you did is screw up all our hard work to get a good attachment percentage for our service plan number.

I've heard a story that my gm slammed someones pda box against a counter on the way from getting it for them when he was already having a bad day and they said they didn't need the plan and was a douch bag.

Like I said people always have shitty excuses for not wanting the plans. And my level of service always goes down a notch when someone says they don't want it.

where do you work? so i can make it a point to never set foot in such a crappy place to shop.

service plans are a ripoff, instead of buying them set aside the cost it would be and be your own service plan, that way if nothing does end up breaking you get to keep the cash.

BTW: i have no problem with places selling service plans, but treating people like crap because they don't want one is completely out of line and unprofessional.

tenaciousb
09-05-2006, 01:58 AM
oh we don't treat them like crap, but we are like an airplane, the people in first class get the best service because they spend the most; they deserve and get our priority

slamming the pda, which I heard second hand, was a removed incident, people don't deserve half the shit they get that come in to our store

service plans are not a ripoff

if you bought them on logical products you would make out in the end

the reason stores sell them, and make money on them is because most people forget they bought them and never make a claim; but the price of warrenty pays for itself in one repair yet is limitless for whatever time period you buy

lordlundar
09-05-2006, 02:15 AM
I apologize to the people who work at BB in advance. I actually work in the sister company (the clown horn store)

Depending on the store, The staff are complete MORONS!

When the BB near us opened, they pulled a few of our staff temporarily to help set up and orient the store. Why? Because everyone there was a fresh hiree. From the SM down. Not a single one of them knew anything about what they were selling. It's a tradition in that store to this day.

I actually went over there recently to quiz a few of them (their gaming "experts") on the PS3. To say they got even in the double digits of a score is generous. I almost pounded my head into the nearest wall.

When they were opening, we were worried that customers would get the info from us, then go there so they didn't have to deal with "pushy salesmen". They then found out that they were worse than us and our intake was higher!:lol:

And to stay on topic, I hope you have better luck on the Emachine then I did. My died on me after two years.

Lehk
09-05-2006, 02:25 AM
the reason stores sell them, and make money on them is because most people forget they bought them and never make a claim; but the price of warrenty pays for itself in one repair yet is limitless for whatever time period you buy

failure within the time frame of the manufacturere's warrantee against defects is already covered by the OEM, now for someone who doesn't know how to clean up spyware from their 13 year old kid downloading porn or how to wipe and reload windows even with a recovery CD i can see them as useful on computers. anything else is just a rip off. most things fail early on, or far out in the future. IIRC it's either the first month or the device will likely last for at least a few years.

a few years and the purchased warantee will be no good

first few months and the OEM covers it.

the only things i can see getting a plan on are computers as i already mentioned, or very expensive stuff based on unproven technology.

for example years ago my father bought a projection TV and the plan he bought covered a blown cylender that would have cost $800 to fix otherwise.

for a $300 TV or even a $1500 computer it just isn't worth it to get the store plans. OEM extended warrantees are good but with a store service plan what if you move and now the nearest store to your house is 300 miles away.

Seanette
09-05-2006, 02:27 AM
where do you work? so i can make it a point to never set foot in such a crappy place to shop.

service plans are a ripoff, instead of buying them set aside the cost it would be and be your own service plan, that way if nothing does end up breaking you get to keep the cash.

BTW: i have no problem with places selling service plans, but treating people like crap because they don't want one is completely out of line and unprofessional.
I agree, and I too will make a point of never going near ANY store affiliated with the one tenaciousb works for. Not if their staff are so rude, arrogant, and sleazy. If you *know* the product is such crap that the service plan is *needed*, why would an *honest* person sell it? If the service plan is not truly needed, then slamming it down a customer's throat the way tenaciousb describes qualifies as a ripoff bordering on extortion.

tenaciousb
09-05-2006, 03:13 AM
haha extortion

hard for me to consider it that when I buy it on stuff I buy there

a chair, calculator, printer, camera

people get holier then thou when you explain them general wear and tear and accidental damage is covered on furniture, thats why I bought it on that chair of mine

They assume they are incapable of ever doing anything wrong to their property; thats why they call them accidents; people do fucked up shit to furniture and almost everything is covered on the protectionm plans, it's redicolous. They also have onsite service so they come out to you and repair stuff.

I've had printers die on me before just after the year manufacturer warrenty expires. So I looked at it like my new printer was going to break. Except instead of me having to foot the bill another $100, I'd pay another $30 now and know I was going to have it for 3 years.

Only times I wouldn't buy them on something is if the bracketing pricing plan that determines the value of the replacement plan based on the price of the equipment doesn't add up in my favor.

Like my cheap laptop I bought on clearence for $350; at the time their was no plan for a cheap latop it was a laptop going from $0-$800 was $200. For the person with an $800 laptop it would have been good, but not for me.

There is no end to some peoples stupidity though. One time I was helping one customer and I saw this guy come in and buy our most expensive digital camera and due to shortage a guy who worked another department who was only covering mine, got him (so he wasn't very good at selling plans) With cameras, there is no bracket for really expensive cameras. So a guy that buys a $200 camera can get a two year plan for $50 and so can a guy that buys a $800 camera. It was redicolous to hear that guy turned down the plan. Just to prove how it is beyond our control to persuade stupid customers sometimes... There is so much that can go wrong with a camera, the lcd, the lens is sensitive glass, internal motor if it has optical zoom which most do) We even had this promotion one time where on many of our popular HP brand printers (I consider them the best brand for the money) you got a free two year service plan. Our sales manager actually had a customer refuse to take it. Its fucking free. (our store still got credit for our numbers so thats why we still cared about pushing them) BTW we didn't let our sales manager forget that one.... :D

Don't think I haven't gotten your though process before though, when selling, I rarely see anything new anymore. They are the breed that says, well this is only $100 its so cheap I'll just replace it. My response would be if I had no niceness, UMMMM thats why its called a REPLACEMENT plan. If $100 can be thrown around just like that, why not pay the $10 now and be done with it. Another good one to buy them on is shredders. They jam all the time due to overuse and overloading. And manufacturer warrenties suck. If they deem you went outside their specific 10 page long clarifications and stipulations, then you are screwed. Our store doesn't state that if you overloaded a 6 page shredder, then your on your own.

And to answer your question. If you move away, even internationally it doesn't matter. All you have to do then is call an 800 number, they ship you a prepaid box and you send it to them. And thats generally only on stuff over $100. If you bought a plan on something under a $100 what they usually do is tell you just to keep the item and then they will send you a cash card for the value you paid for the item. Not worth their time and money for shipping and repairing. Which is great because the customer can just upgrade or grab the same model if its still being sold at that point. Its based on the honor system, if a customer really wanted to they could cheat the system and get a free cash card on relatively inexpesive items.

To some this all up. I've bought these things myself on several products. I know what they are and what they cover. I know them in and out. And I buy them. To the customer out their that wants your help making a descision for 30 minutes for a telephone and wants to know everything there is to know about its features and operations. Meanwhile your the only person on the floor to help customers, and break down load, and clean up the store before close so everyone can go home at night at a decent hour, and change signs for the next week. Yet the customer doesn't have 30 seconds for you to explain the service plan... I say. Whose making the informed decision. You or me?

If you wanna know where I work I'll pm you. While I tell you flat out I think its funny there are people saying I'd never shop an entire chain again because of isolated incident or story I got with one employee at a store that I'll hold the whole damn chain responsible. But if your the type that under no circumstance wants our protection plan, then I'd be happy to tell you where I work if you promise not to buy something their that effects the stores attachement number and protection plan %. Like I said, your doing them a favor. Spiting them would be to go in and buy a laptop with no attachments. They make very little on the actual machines. The manufacturer gets all that money. Especially ink cartridges. I group these types of smart asses that think they know more then us about our equipment with those that come in, want our help, tie us up, then leave and buy it off amazon for less. I usually avoid taking too much time with these cusomters because I smell them coming a mile off. Although I do try and talk to everyone and I never hassle people that don't want help. Far from it. We always have things we need to do, if a customer can shop by themselves all the better for us. I hoping to give you a better background of why I despise those customers. Even if this all sounds a little random.

Funny I just transferred to another store (all my previous tales regard my old one) and they focus more on customer service. In the past few weeks I've seen them bend over backwards and take it up the ass from customers in general, but especially with returns thats our company policy states we have no reason to take back. They really try and hit a home run on customer service and go and above and beyond. The other key difference between my old store...

The new stores back room is a mess. Price signage is off. There are too many holes out in the aisle when they should have already been stocked. Not so organized, blocked or fronted shelves. They choose to spend their time trying to do everything they can to keep the cheap skates around, and pleasing those they you will never see again. My old store focused on the intangibles of a store. The product you want is there when you want it, right where you remembered it being. Take your pick.

Now don't get me wrong. I see your getting the idea of wrapping up all the horror stories of bad shopping experiences and eqauting them with my store. Which is unfair. We still have to take it up the ass more then our fair share in the name of "customer service", but not as much as some do. We still go above and beyond your everyday store in walking customers to products, and being helpful and curtious. Not to mention being knowledgible of said products. Believe me I go into other typical retailers and rarely seen anything close to what we give to our customers. (I also realize that your experience is more based on that stores particular management style. If you have a problem with a stores policy, thats when you should decide never to shop at any of them again.) But thats why it pains me so much to see customers give us nothing back in return. I might hate the guts out of customers, but I'm certainly more liberal in stating that openely here then I ever am to their face. It's the little things I begrudge them while they are there that helps me stay complacent when I work. Like my chair carry-out policy I mentioned earlier.