PDA

View Full Version : My mum can get me a job - should I take it?

COMINATCHA
08-21-2006, 01:24 AM
As some of you know, I have been unemployed for a while, since I quit my last job as a nightclub dancer. Being unemployed was actually kinda good at first, I was lazing around, shopping, working out, seeing friends, just like being on a long holiday. But then I started getting really down in the dumps when I went to job interviews. They all come out with the same result - I don't get the job. I don't know whats wrong with me, but it's kinda crushed my self esteem a bit.

Anyhoo, the money is running out fast. I just bought a new car which I need to pay off, but it's going to be impossible to do that with no job of course.

My mum works in a hospital as a midwife, and she said she could get me a job there easily. The job is crappy - it would basically involve delivering meals to patients and cleaning. Yes, CLEANING. I'm the kind of girl who never washes dishes, yet I would be expected to clean toilets among other things - :cry: The thing is, it pays $17.50 (Aus) an hour. That's pretty damn good. I was thinking I could just do it for a little while to get some money, and then go back to finding a 'proper' job (although i'm still not sure what to look for).

I really wanted to do a course and study something, but that costs money and money I don't have. And I don't even know what to study cause I don't know what i'd be good at, and it's stressing me out. I'm stuck in a rut where it feels like no-one wants to employ me and I don't know why :cry: When the only job you can get is that of a cleaner, you can't help but feel a bit shit :cry:

I never intented to get so emtional in this post, it was supposed to be a simple 'should I take this hospital job' question, sorry :o

Seanette
08-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Having dealt with un/underemployment (both self and DH), I do sympathize.

My own view would be to take the job. I don't see where decent-paying honest employment that lets you pay your bills while you're figuring out what comes next for you, and could also get you some useful connections for later on and/or a good reference for your work habits (attendance, diligence, etc.), is a bad thing. :)

Kiwi
08-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Cleaning is a good honest way to earn a living, the job may suck but the moneys good, just because you cant get a job doesnt mean your not good enough to do that job (ask me the galleries wont even give me an interview) and Id make a damn good host!

My mum worked as a cleaner when she was retraining at university to pay for her textbooks and courses, the job you do doesnt define you, shes not a cleaner, shes my mum. You wont be a cleaner, youll be Cominatcha who just happens to be working as a cleaner.

Plus you can always attach it to your CV (resume) as follows "X Hospital, General duties and non medical patient care. Now that doesnt sound as bad, and just think, your actually HELPING people get better, think of it that way.
Plus the easyiest way to get a job, is to have a job

Der Cute
08-21-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah, take job at hospital.

Next: PROMISE ME YOU WILL DO THIS STEP.

Go to a local bookstore and purchase a book called "What color is my parachute?"

It is a book designed with quizzes and questons and steps to ask you who you are and what you're designed to do.
Trust me, if your brain is wired to do art, you're not going to fit very well into a logic based job. Vice versa.

I want to ask you : why in the HELL did you purchase that car w/o a job????

Ok. fuggetboutit.

Go get the job. Feel better, perk self up.
Work on "who you are" and what you like to do.

I was 'lost' for about 10 years between highschool & real college. it took me YEARS to figure myself out.

Get that book, dangit. It will help you, and while you're working & saving that money *hint hint* you can figure out what classes to take!

PS if you think about taking classes: talk to an advisor @ the uni about them, scholarships & free money. Dont think loans are the way to go.

Cute

Gurndigarn
08-21-2006, 02:17 AM
They all come out with the same result - I don't get the job. I don't know whats wrong with me, but it's kinda crushed my self esteem a bit.

I know it's rough to go through, but don't take it personally. It sometimes takes a while to find one, no matter how many qualifications you have.

The job is crappy - it would basically involve delivering meals to patients and cleaning. Yes, CLEANING. I'm the kind of girl who never washes dishes, yet I would be expected to clean toilets among other things - :cry:

I'm one of those odd people who actually think "All work is honorable." Call me silly, but that's just me.

Doesn't mean that there aren't jobs that are funner than others. So the question is, are the benifits of doing any job (if there are any) worth the hassles the job will give you.

The thing is, it pays $17.50 (Aus) an hour. That's pretty damn good. I was thinking I could just do it for a little while to get some money, and then go back to finding a 'proper' job (although i'm still not sure what to look for).

Well, if the pay's good, then that's a benifit that will outweigh at least a few hassles, so it sounds reasonable, at least short-term.

As for a "proper" job... well, cleaning is a "proper" or "real" job, just like being a retail slave, or a waitress, or many of the other jobs that show up here. From what you said in the past, I don't think you're looking for a "real" job, as some people talk about it, but you're looking for a job that suits you personally.

I don't know if that makes a lot of sense, so let me give an example. Teaching high school is a real job. Full time, benifits, a pay scale that, while there are many complaints from teachers, can still afford a better than bare-bones living.

After my first semester of college, that's what I was planning on, once I realized (in the first semester) that I didn't want to go into any of the heavy science or math related job areas. That lasted until I took the first class in the teacher certification series in my third year-- then I realized that no, I REALLY REALLY didn't want to do that, either.

That's all that college gave me, employement-wise. A realization that I didn't want to do much in engineering, sciences, or related subjects, nor teaching. I graduated with a B.A., 3.52 GPA from a respected school, but nothing in the job sector-- but I still consider that time and money well spent. Otherwise, through my life I probably would have been saying "I could have been/done..." After all, I was very skilled in all of the above. And I could have done a good job in any of them. But I would have started hating them over time, so I'm glad I never got beyond the basics in any of them.

At the time I graduated, though, I was really disappointed, and felt like a failure. But with time, I've begun to realize more about me and why I work the way I do, and I'm glad I never started those careers. What I'm doing now doesn't fit me fully, but it fits me better than many of the other things I thought about/dreamed of would have.

I don't know if this helps any, but I hope it does. And I also don't know how you would go about finding something that suits you-- after all, we're all different, and what works for me probably won't work for you. The best I can recommend is asking yourself "What do I want out of life?" and then asking "What types of jobs would help get that?" IE, if you want money, then a college degree in sciences makes perfect sense. If you want friends, then a job with a lot of other people where you're not being slave-driven is a good idea. On the other hand, if you want satisfaction with what you do, then being in small groups or by yourself might be a better idea. And so on.

Anyway, I'm sorry about the length, but I decided not to edit it because there might be something of use in all the winding things I said-- I just wasn't sure which part might actually be useful.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-21-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm with everybody else. I'd take the job. You don't have to do it your whole life.

At least you'll make good money and get a reference to put on your resume later.

TNT
08-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Plus the easyiest way to get a job, is to have a job

I echo that thought. There seems to be something in the employer mindset that says, "If another company would hire this person, maybe I should, too."

Rapscallion
08-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Um, Comi? I think you already know the answer to this one.

Rapscallion

AFpheonix
08-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Oh, I'd take it if I were you. Besides, if there's other jobs in the hospital that are more appealing to you, you'd probably be considered before outside applicants. Also getting to hobnob with more influental people in the hospital is always a good thing, especially for references.

JuniorMintz
08-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I work for a doctor. Yes, it's what most would consider a "proper job", although I consider any real labor to be a proper job anyway. Still, every day I take out the trash, sweep the storefront, clean our dishes, clean all the glass and mirrors, disinfect the optical equipment, clean frames, and clean the bathroom (yes, even the toilets), and every week I sweep, mop, and vacuum. That's in addition to all of my regular optical duties, mind you. The pay is ok, I make less than I could probably get at other places but for whatever reason, this is the place that makes me happy so I suck it up and keep the complaining to a minimum. Except on here, of course.

There is nothing shameful about working for a living. In fact, as Gurndigarn mentioned earlier, I consider it honorable. I may not have the fanciest house or wardrobe or car, but I worked for what I have and it makes me proud and happy.

You've got to pay your dues, Com. Take the job. It'll be good for you.

Crazyredhead
08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
it took me YEARS to figure myself out.

I'm 36 and I still haven't figured myself out. I still don't know what I want to do. Well, actually, I would love to work from home doing data entry, typing, etc. I have the set up and the skills but I don't know about the dicipline. But I will definatly try.

Yeah, take the job. I would give anything if someone could get me a job. I have been unemployed going on two years. The difference is that I have a background that is keeping me from getting the job that I want. I have submitted at least 3-4 thousand applications and have had about 4 interviews which end up the same way, I never hear from anyone again and I met all of the qualifications that they want and then some.

I have done what you are going to possibly be doing. You just have to have a sense of humor about it. It is not fun cleaning people and there bed pans but it is money that will keep your car from being repoed and your bills paid.

Think about it, once your in the door, you can bid for another job later, and it'll be more experience you can add to your resume.

PuckishOne
08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Echo from the back of the chorus: "Take the job, Comi." :D There's no shame in working to pay your own way while you sort yourself out. Goodness knows every job I've ever had has fallen into this rather vast category.

I'm 36 and I still haven't figured myself out.
I'm 36 in a few weeks (gads!!) and only recently have I stumbled onto what I plan to make a career out of - technical writing - and now I'm so impatient to get started, I can barely concentrate on the job I'm at! It will require more schooling, both formal and on my own, but as long as I can keep this job (almost exclusively for the paycheck) I should be on good ground. So even though where I'm at right now isn't my goal, it's what I need to do to get to that next step.

You'll make it, too, Comi - just hang in there and keep working. ;) Good luck to you.

Becks
08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm stuck in a rut where it feels like no-one wants to employ me and I don't know why :cry:

Maybe you're giving off bad vibes? :shrug: It could be that you're feeling down on yourself, and it's coming across in interviews and such.

Anyhoo, I think you should take the job. It just might not be as bad as you think. (And after a while, any job, making money, is better than no job at all.)

Brighid45
08-22-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm one of the 'take the job' chorus here. Right now I'm working part time at a job that is pretty mindless, but it pays fairly well and I can deal with the nonsense that goes on in the workplace, so it's okay. Will I stay there forever? No, but for now, it'll do. That might be a good mindset for you to take with this job. Once you've been there for a while, you can start working on finding something else.

Ree
08-22-2006, 12:40 AM
When the only job you can get is that of a cleaner, you can't help but feel a bit shitWell that's a sad comment.
In a hospital environment, the job of cleaner is pretty damned important to the everyday running of the place. I'm sure most of them go home at night, able to look at themselves in the mirror, knowing they have done an honest day's work.

I think I would feel more of a shit sitting on my butt, unemployed and losing all that is dear to me, especially my brand new car, than taking a job that thousands of people do every day without any shame whatsoever.

LostMyMind
08-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Yes, CLEANING. I'm the kind of girl who never washes dishes, yet I would be expected to clean toilets among other things - :cry:
Take the job, there is a big difference between cleaning your "stuff" vs. getting paid to clean somebody's else "stuff". Myself, I don't clean much either (dusting that kind of thing). But when it's someone else's place, it somehow becomes a different mind set.

Beside, like it's been said. Once you have a job, your stock goes up and getting a different job becomes easier. And you never know, you might find "dull" type of work relaxing (at least you'll get a work out).

Without the "Cleaners", the world would be much much dirtier. So in aspect of proper, you can't get more proper than that.

Rapscallion
08-22-2006, 05:00 AM
I think the important thing in your original post is the mention of money.

There are few on these boards who would go to work simply to work. Everyone needs money. If work was all rainbows and unicorns, this site wouldn't exist.

Rapscallion

COMINATCHA
08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement, I start work on Monday!
I didn't even need to go for an interview. The boss loves my mum, and when she said her daughter wanted a job, I was offered it straight away and asked to start next week. :D

Banrion
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Good for you taking it. Remember this is nothing permanent, and jobs are kinda like men. Once you have one, 10 more come crawling out of the woodwork for ya. Once ya don't, they don't want ya.

I'm not sure where in Oz you are, but I have a friend in Melbourne who is having a terrible time finding a job. She recently finished her master's degree and still can't find work. It it coming down to the point where if she doesn't get a job soon, she is going to have to leave her fiance in Oz, and come back to the US to work.:cry:

Becks
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, I start work on Monday!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

I hope it works out for you, short term OR long term. :D

Rapscallion
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
The other side to this is that it's always easier to get a job if you already have one.

Rapscallion

COMINATCHA
08-31-2006, 03:20 AM
Well so far the job is going okay...it's such a huge difference to go from a job as a nightclub dancer to a cleaner pretty much :roll: There's no glamour about it, I cleaned my first toilet ever :roll:

Ive only been working there since monday, and today (thursday), I woke up with a rather embarasing problem i'd rather not share, and knew I had to call in sick. I was rostered to work 12pm-5pm and I didn't call them until 10.30am cause I was very reluctant to do it. My mum (who is a nurse) told me I had to fix the problem before it got worse, so I rang the boss.
I told her the situation, and she said - "If you really were sick, you would have called in earlier."

I was like :eek:

I know I SHOULD have called in earlier, but it's not like I set my alarm real early, just in case i should happen to wake up sick and need to give notice.

I didn't know what to say in response to that, there was a long pause on my part then I just said "Okay"

I feel bad for calling in sick so soon after starting a new job, but the only time I could get a doctor's appointment was 12.30 :(

JuniorMintz
08-31-2006, 03:44 AM
I was rostered to work 12pm-5pm and I didn't call them until 10.30am cause I was very reluctant to do it. My mum (who is a nurse) told me I had to fix the problem before it got worse, so I rang the boss. I told her the situation, and she said - "If you really were sick, you would have called in earlier."

I was like :eek:

I know I SHOULD have called in earlier, but it's not like I set my alarm real early, just in case i should happen to wake up sick and need to give notice.

Lesson learned. Bosses need notice just like we do-it's freaking annoying to be notified of a schedule change at the very last minute, right?

Or maybe I'm just bitter because I miss getting to sleep in like that.

Pagan
09-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Good to see ya took the job. Just remember, it mostly doesn't matter how you got the job, you have to keep it! And do ya have another opening? I just did the currency conversion and that's about $13.50 USD, twice what I'm making!

I've been looking for a new job and just got one of those "although you have excellent qualifications" letters. Well, if my qualifications are so excellent, then why the hell aren't you hiring me, huh? :rolleyes:

Side note:
PuckishOne and Crazyredhead
Do you think it's the age or the hair color? I'm 36 as well and decided that I'm going to enroll at CNM (Central Community College of New Mexico, or something like that, they just changed their name from TVI) in the Pharmacy Tech program and then look at the Pharmacology program at UNM. And yes, it is about the money!

COMINATCHA
09-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Good to see ya took the job. Just remember, it mostly doesn't matter how you got the job, you have to keep it! And do ya have another opening? I just did the currency conversion and that's about $13.50 USD, twice what I'm making!

Yea It's good hey. I don't understand why they would pay so much for me to clean and run errands, but meh, i'm not complaining :D

Ree
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I am very proud of you for taking the job, and I'm really happy that it's working out for you, Cominatcha.
That shows maturity. :hug:
Well done.

LostMyMind
09-03-2006, 02:16 PM
:grats: on getting good pay. At least you're giving yourself a chance to see if you do like the job or not. And that says more about you than anything else ;)

Jobs that most people "don't like to do", "can't do", or "won't do" should be paid better. In the states, those kinds of jobs would pay more but there is a "group" that will do those jobs so there is "labor competition", driving the pay down. (Not commenting on the social aspect of it, just explaining the business practice of "pay more for harder to find labor". Which is why computer science paid alot in the older days and now since the market is flooded, the is pay average.)

Barefootgirl
09-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't understand why they would pay so much for me to clean and run errands, but meh, i'm not complaining :D

They pay so much because - guess what - nobody wants to be "just a cleaner". If no-one was cleaning, the hospitals would be cesspits. They could have the finest medical staff in the universe, but if the hospital was dirty and people were dying of HAIs* left, right and centre, it would be a crummy hospital.

There was a TV programme on here quite recently, called "Kim and Aggie Got To Hospital", about the cleanliness of one big, well-respected hospital in London. Kim and Aggie have a TV show called How Clean Is Your House, where they go to people with filthy homes, and help them clean. This particular hospital, while there were plenty of people trying, was actually, pretty dirty. One room, which was supposedly a sterile unit, had old, dried diarrhoea on the bedframe.

All over the world, hospitals desperately need cleaners who aren't afraid to work and who don't turn round at every opportunity and say "that's not my job". I applaud you for taking this job, and for sticking it at it, doing something worthwhile to actually help other people.

COMINATCHA
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm still adjusting to a job that is SO completely different to dancing.
Like, just getting ready for work is a whole new experience now. Before, when I was a dancer, my getting-ready-for-work was a long process. I would get myself spray-tanned (when you show alot of skin, it's more flattering to be tanned, and my naturally pasty skin doesn't stand out as much). And the day leading up to my shift I would eat hardly anything so my stomach would be really flat for the stupid skimpy clothes. I'd spend ages doing my makeup, listening to music to get myself pumped, then i'd go to work.

Now I just throw on my clothes, tie my hair up, and off I go. I'm saving money cause i'm not using as much makeup, and not spray myself Paris Hilton style, I feel alot more normal and calmer, despite having a seemingly 'less fun' job, it's all good. I'm not surrounded by alcohol and sleaze anymore :)

XCashier
09-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I feel alot more normal and calmer, despite having a seemingly 'less fun' job, it's all good.
That alone makes it a worthwhile job. Yeah, you get your hands dirty, but it's a different stress than other jobs.

I think I'd prefer a physically stressful job, like cleaning, over a mentally stressful job, like retail, waitressing, or pretty much most jobs out there. With a physical job, "taking your work home with you" means you forgot to wipe your shoes. :D You don't get mentally frazzled or have to deal with unreasonable customers. And a good hot bath at the end of the day takes care of the worst aspects.

Congratulations on the new job, Comi. Be sure to thank your mum! :)

excuse me??
09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I've lived in two towns with very few job openings. Seems like having a 'connection' who can get you into a company is just about the only to find work.

You know its good to be happy with what you are doing, so that's totally up to you... but never be afraid to have a freind/relitive pull some strings for you.

Der Cute
09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Comi:

Look at it this way:

you're getting free exercise
not directly dealing with whiney users
getting to slam and bash garbage
less expensive work overhead (clothing, makeup etc)

and you can SEE what you've done, SEEING a clean place you've made, it makes a difference in pride.

Take pride in what you do and how you do it.

Cutenoob

COMINATCHA
09-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Thanks guys :)

Yes I clean, but I also help out with patients by delivering their meals to them. I usually walk in and automatically ask "Hi, how are you?" but i'm starting to think it's an awkward question to ask a person who is in hospital...lol.

On my first day of work, I felt like one of the popular animals in a zoo everyone wants to see. No i'm not being up-myself, it's all because of my mum. Before I got the job, she was always talking about me to her boss and co-workers, and she brought in photos of me to show them, and just generally told them nearly every embarassing thing about me. Mum has been a nurse for over 30 years, and some of her co-workers are still there working with her after hearing all about me (and my sister) growing up.

So when I went in, they were all like "Oooooh, we've heard so much about you! You've grown up so much since the photos we saw of you as a child!" e.t.c, e.t.c. They are all very very nice and helpfu;, I defenitely feel like I have a bit of an advantage of anyone else who may have got the job 'properly' - I didn't even have an interview! I feel guilty for some reason! lol.

Gurndigarn
09-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys :)

Yes I clean, but I also help out with patients by delivering their meals to them. I usually walk in and automatically ask "Hi, how are you?" but i'm starting to think it's an awkward question to ask a person who is in hospital...lol.

If you don't think it's patronizing, try "how are you today?" The last word indicates a certain "relative to the other days recently", but still shows some concern.

I defenitely feel like I have a bit of an advantage of anyone else who may have got the job 'properly' - I didn't even have an interview! I feel guilty for some reason! lol.

It's called "networking", and, speaking as someone who's done HR, it's a good thing. You interview people off the street, you have no idea what they're really like until they're hired... and sometimes the process of getting rid of them can take longer and be more inconvenient than would be ideal. But if you get someone who's recommending someone else, you at least have an idea (based on your opinion of the person you've already hired/know personally) of what you're getting in for. It's not perfect, but it's better than hiring cold.

lordlundar
09-07-2006, 02:33 PM
On my first day of work, I felt like one of the popular animals in a zoo everyone wants to see. No i'm not being up-myself, it's all because of my mum. Before I got the job, she was always talking about me to her boss and co-workers, and she brought in photos of me to show them, and just generally told them nearly every embarassing thing about me. Mum has been a nurse for over 30 years, and some of her co-workers are still there working with her after hearing all about me (and my sister) growing up.

So when I went in, they were all like "Oooooh, we've heard so much about you! You've grown up so much since the photos we saw of you as a child!"

:eek: "What has she told you? :eek: Umm, I'm just going to hide for the day, no this is not a sunburn.":lol:

LostMyMind
09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
So when I went in, they were all like "Oooooh, we've heard so much about you! You've grown up so much since the photos we saw of you as a child!" e.t.c, e.t.c.
lol, I still get this any time I go visit the hospital in my town. My mother works there for 20+ years. What's worst is my mother still thinks it's cute to call me her baby boy :cry:

Retail's Bitch
09-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Mums do that. They love to brag about their kids... When my now-ex was helping me move into our old apartment - before we started dating - and were just friends. My poor friend was trapped in a moving van with my mother for 7 hours moving things across town to the new place. In that 7 hours - he learned more about me than any person would possibly want to know...

Probably why we remain so close. "Nobody knows more about you than I do," He says. And he's right. LOL.

Congrats on the job Comi.